[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about doing a Pokemon inspired game of some kind.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 59

File: 1475188294823.jpg (580KB, 867x867px) Image search: [Google]
1475188294823.jpg
580KB, 867x867px
Thinking about doing a Pokemon inspired game of some kind.

How do you make it work without it devolving into deconstruction or parody?
>>
>>49730830
Well, first one out, don't do custom pokemon unless your players are A. really into it or B. played a game with custom pokemon before.

Secondly, do things different. The pokemon world as tabletop gets really fun if you change shit. You can just have regular monsters be capturable as well. Sending out an orc to fight other orc's was fun.
>>
>>49730830

I did it by turning Pokemon into a pseudo X-Crawl, using that Pokewood concept they came up with in Black/White 2 as the basis. It works pretty well - you have the on-set action and Pokemon battles, and the off-set drama and romance and backstabbing and political power-plays.
>>
>>49730830

Oh my god that Vulpix is cute cute CUTE!
>>
File: 1p.png (123KB, 592x454px) Image search: [Google]
1p.png
123KB, 592x454px
>>49730830
>>
It's like an extended camping trip.
But with Pokemon.
>>
>>49731025
In the new game several Gen 1 Pokemon have type shifted forms. Ice type Vulpix and Ninetails is one of them.
>>
>>49730830
Have a lot of cute girls taking care of cute pokemon and do contests. It'd be fun.
>>
File: 01.png (663KB, 800x883px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
663KB, 800x883px
>>49730830
Use cute versions of Western fantasy creatures.
>>
File: cm.png (712KB, 793x1008px) Image search: [Google]
cm.png
712KB, 793x1008px
>>
>>49730830
Have an interesting modern plot and throw pokemon into it.
>>
>>49730830
I did Tales of Kantobury once about Kanto knights in a holy war over Johto's unholy worship of Unown rather then the great Messiah Mew's second coming.
>>
>>49731507
If Mew is Jesus and the Unown represent pagan gods, then who are the Mohammedans?
>>
>>49731025

Both Alola Vulpix and Ninetales look quite nice.
>>
>>49730830
Have the brutal undertones more apparent, make the game dark, have there be looming air raid sirens in every town to warn against raiders borne the on the wings of Dragonite, have the forests be terrifying place mortal men fear to tread, have them come across settlements that haven't been so lucky, show the terror of being attacked by any of those beasts. Have it be brutal and dark and in the relative safety of a major city the Anti-Air Guns need to start booming as they watch entire swathes of the city burn whilst the attackers mostly ignore what would kill a man instantly. Make the game feel like these beasts are preternaturally powerful like they're always depicted, and make sure that running into even a relatively weak pokemon is a terrifying encounter leaving them wishing they'd just burned that 200 Hecs of forest to the ground instead of trying to find that damn fool of a son of Mary who's almost certainly already dead because he wanted to explore on his own so badly. Have Pokemon battles be underground fighting rings, or if done openly have them level buildings or cause other such serious damage to infrastructure, and have that play a role in their interactions within their legal systems
>>
>>49731673
(you)
>>
>>49731593
>>49731507
>Not having Arceus as the one true God.
>>
>>49731712
Do you disagree anon?
>>
>>49731757
Not that guy, but your post is so edgy I cut my eyes reading it.

Pokemon is at its best when the subtle and horrible implications are undertones to a bright and happy world, and when everything is G-Rated, PG-13 at the worst, but still hits the creative point where you can stop and realize "oh my god people eat Farfetch'd" without hammering it into the players' skull that their favorite duck is going to get stolen and eaten by a starving hobo.

Personally my favorite Pokemon settings are ones that don't make any sense together, like G-Rated Gothic Horror or G-Rated Mafia Movie, where you have to play around the "for kids" aesthetic.
>>
>>49731673
>Op asks for exactly the opposite of this
You just had to be the one, didn't you, anon?
>>
>>49731788
while edgy, as fuck, i can't deny that a grim/edgy pokemon game wouldn't be fun if done correctly. but thats nigh impossible since its literally taking a pg show and ranking it up to R.
>>
>>49732044
Oh no no no. I remember the last time this happened and it was pretty bad.
>>
>>49732044

There is no "correctly."

You can't do Pokemon as R-Rated and do it "correctly" because an essential part of Pokemon's feel is the G-rated saccharine injected with incredible weirdness.

By making Pokemon grimdark edge you take it away from being Pokemon and make it something else, and at that point you might as well break from the Pokemon aesthetic and use your own monsters.

Alternatively take that World War One feel and turn it G-Rated. Crack jokes, make them feel like big damn heroes, and then sometimes remind them that they're at war by having mentions of other trenches getting overrun or reports of towns being taken by the enemy. But in the end, they're still heroes holding and pushing the line.
>>
>>49732118
The poster did ask for Pokemon inspired, so I'd assume that this would be acceptable.
>>
>>49730830
Only use the original 151.

Everything after them was a mistake.
>>
>>49732985
It's sad that people think this. One of my favorite things to do as a kid was make up new Pokemon.
>>
File: 1458823572724.png (203KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1458823572724.png
203KB, 600x600px
>>49732985
I disagree.
>>
>>49733020
151 was perfect, though. It was large enough to feel expansive, yet small enough to feel intuitive. There was a great blend of redundancy (esp. at the low end) and uniqueness among them.

Not to mention every successive generation got stupider and stupider, from bad Digimon ripoffs to fucking ice cream pokemon to numerous gods (each more powerful than the last, of course).
>>
Not OP but I'm thinking to make a one-shot game using Fate - and I must set this up as soon as possible.

What would you suggest to get something running?

>>49732985
>>49733082
(You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You)
Enough?
>>
>>49733095
I feel like I've seen this recently. Did you make a thread a couple days ago?

Anyway, possibly Ryuutama? The front/back line mechanic makes sense for Pokemon and the travel rules kind of have that
>our heroes find themselves in Nowhere Mountain Range
jive from the anime.
>>
>>49733095
>using Fate
(You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You)
Enough?
>>
>>49732985
>nostalgia fags
>>
>>49730830
That other guy is right about the Vulpix.
The whole picture is cute CUTE, really.
I wish my friends liked cute things as much as I do, I want to have do cute feelgood Pokemon shenanigans.
>>
>>49733140
>I feel like I've seen this recently. Did you make a thread a couple days ago?
Yes. I didn't get enough ideas where to pick up from so I'm still kinda left in the blank.

>Anyway, possibly Ryuutama?
Oh no, I already have my rules made. I just need something, somewhere that could help me to set a campaign idea!

I did read Ryuutama and I was kinda thinking on including some of its traveling rules though, they kinda seem like they fit very well.

Speaking of... Would a game that uses Ryuutama's rules for traveling or something similar be compelling to play?

>>49733167
>Being a 3.PF cuck
I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>49732985

If you want MY opinion (which I know none of you do) I believe Ruby was the pinnacle of the series and everything after (excluding remakes) was terrible.
>>
>>49733202
I'd personally say it was D/P, where we had a pokemon for every niche, enough gods for a pantheon, and the physical/special split
>>
>>49733200
What sort of game do you want to have? You could do something like BW and have them all start off from their adventure at the same time, and then they come across an evil team at the next town.
>>
File: PTU Trainer.png (180KB, 829x773px) Image search: [Google]
PTU Trainer.png
180KB, 829x773px
Why not Pokemon Tabletop United?
>>
File: 1407913987026.png (310KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1407913987026.png
310KB, 600x800px
>>49730830
You doing it online, OP?
>>
>>49733247
You mean Platinum, since it was a better DP.

I think Sun and Moon will be the pinnacle of the series so far, since it has the most realistic representation of the world and tons of Pokemon, as well as great online features.
>>
>>49730830
Run a Pocket Monster Hunter campaign.

Run it swords and sorcery style in the ancient Pokemon world where Pokemon are "magical and mythical beasts" and appropriately scaled, then set your players loose with a starter, a sword, and a 'good luck on your journey'. If they don't kill something and try to wear it's skin by the end of the first session, I would be disappointed.

Alternatively, just find a bunch of players who aren't asshats and would take playing a trainer seriously.
>>
>>49733247
>the physical/special split
I think there is objectively not a single soul who is against this. It's one of the few things where everyone agrees that it's good.

>>49733254
If I COULD follow the rules in Fate Core I'd have my players pick their adventure. Sadly I can't do this because one-shot. Personally, I don't know what would be fun and compelling to play in such a short time.

>>49733262
Too crunchy and d20 games, in my opinion, are a bit difficult to balance.
>>
>>49733278
It's a shame the franchise keeps suffering thanks being both condemned to Nintendo underpowered consoles and Gamefreak who are among the most incompetent developers in the whole industry.

Playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon completely blew me away because of the quality of the game in practically every sense you can imagine. I wish the mainline games were half as good.
>>
File: 1374715643349.png (800KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1374715643349.png
800KB, 1200x900px
>>49733082
>Not to mention every successive generation got stupider and stupider, from bad Digimon ripoffs to fucking ice cream pokemon

I mean that's certainly a valid opinion and a lot of people seem to share it, but the typical argument I see for this doesn't really hold that much water. Gen I had its fair share of stupid designs and concepts, and every generation can be hit or miss with design. There are very few Pokemon that actually share the Digimon aesthetic, and as an example the ice cream mon is in the same gen as my man Golurk.

>to numerous gods (each more powerful than the last, of course).

This, though, is currently false. Lore wise, at least. The Legendary Pokemon were getting stronger, going from the controller of Land, Sea, and Sky in Gen 3 to the gods of Time and Space plus the actual creator deity in Gen 4. However, Gen 5 dialed the power back to "mere" country level dragons, and Gen 6 had a similar power level. At the moment Gen 7 seems par for the course, as all the Legends we've seen so far are island guardians or just associated with day or night without being actual embodiments of the sun or moon.

Nothing has yet topped Gen 4 in (lore only) overpowered nonsense.
>>
>>49733289
I've always wanted to do that ever since seeing that scene in the Lucario movie with the medieval Pokemon warring.
>>
>>49733295
Maybe start it in medias res, like they have to fight through the final evil team base, or they have to work together to capture a Legendary. I don't know what your players like so I can't get more specific.

I don't think Pokemon works very well as a one shot, since journeys canonically take a long time, and even the games have a very slow start.
>>
>>49733386
>I don't know what your players like
This is the biggest issue - I have none as of yet. They will inscribe at the convention this Saturday for a game that will last that day alone.

>I don't think Pokemon works very well as a one shot, since journeys canonically take a long time, and even the games have a very slow start.
This is a big issue, definitely. Are there VERY short Pokémon stories at all? (And let's not suggest Generations because those scenes are just one or two off-camera scenes within the games themselves)
>>
I-I wanna play!

Can I join OP?
>>
>>49733468
I'm pretty sure almost everything in Pokemon, whether official or fanfiction, is long-form. Your best bet is doing something high-powered where your players are on a specific mission, like in the movies.
>>
>>49733573
Yes you're right. If I start with something low powered it is pretty clear all they will do is "use Tackle!" "use Growl!" "use Leer!" - and I am very well aware of this, that's how my longer running campaigns have begun!

I still need ideas and this is where I run dry though...
>>
>>49733603
I dunno man. Try making your thread again and see if you can get more ideas.
>>
>>49733468
Any of the anime filler episodes, I guess. You know, the random bullcrap they do between gyms. Those could be inspiration.

Or they could be doing some kind of camping trip in the local safari zone BUT THEN THE BAD THING HAPPENS.

The Tentacool are unusually testy, so the players go surf around and eventually find some kind of facility dumping crap in the water AND THEN THE BAD THING HAPPENS.

A professor has the players take REALLY COOL THING to a lab somewhere. As part of their reward, the staff lets them stick around and watch. Maybe it's a fossil they're reviving, I don't know. BUT THEN THE BAD THING HAPPENS.
>>
>>49731755
Arceus WAS.

He's also
A) Not a guy who demands worship, like most of the legendary pantheon he simply is.
B) He's also dead. Zekrom, Kyurem and Reshiram are his Mind, Body, and Soul respectively.

>>49731593
The Unownists ARE the muslims, crusades motherfucker. Gods and angels are too holy to be seen by mortal men and thus must deliver their messages through the divine letters.

Team Rocket are the jews btw, they worship a falling star (Deoxys) and believe that the Gods are pokemon who must be mastered by similarly divine trainers. One day a trainer will have all the gods at his heel, who will serve him willingly due to his greatness and all will be happiness.

Except for all those faggots they don't like. Which tends to be everyone.
>>
>>49732985
t.Pokemon Go player
>>
>>49733632
Here >>49733782

>>49733725
The bad thing happening is the one where I should focus on. Those are good starters but the bad thing happening is the substance.
>>
>>49732118
Didn't they make a very successful comedy about WW2 PoWs?
>>
File: IMG_1167.jpg (201KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1167.jpg
201KB, 900x675px
>not playing as the pokemon
>not using their actual stats in a d6 homebrew system
>not improvising rules as you go along

That's how a friend of mine ran a bunch of 1-shots in college, some of the best games I've played.
>>
File: 23r34w.gif (291KB, 499x365px) Image search: [Google]
23r34w.gif
291KB, 499x365px
>>49733777
>Team Rocket are the jews
>Jewish mafia
>Giovanni is an Italian name
>>
>>49733810
What was the story like, something along the lines of mystery dungeon?
>>
>>49733794
for the Safari Zone one:

They're traipsing through the Safari Zone when they see Team Rocket stealing Pokemon. Their mission is to track them down, defeat the trainers and liberate the Pokemon.

You could definitely look at the Pokemon Ranger games for inspiration, too. Any one of the Missions would be good for a one-shot.
>>
>>49733784
Nope.

It won't work on my old Galaxy Note 2.
>>
>>49733853
>Their mission is to track them down, defeat the trainers and liberate the Pokemon.
Oh this would be good and all. But -and unless I'm fretting over nothing- Fate suggests that the characters are somehow involved in the story and not just "get mission, get reward". For example, perhaps one of the Pokémon that appears befriended a PC before?

>You could definitely look at the Pokemon Ranger games for inspiration, too. Any one of the Missions would be good for a one-shot.
Good idea, I played Pokemon Ranger but I forgot the missions. I'll see what I can draw though! Thank you!
>>
>>49733289
A young man, callow and foolish in innocence, came to own a sword. With it, he smote Pokémon, which gave sustenance, with carefree abandon. Those not taken as food, he discarded, with no afterthought. The following year, no Pokémon appeared. Larders grew bare. The young man, seeking the missing Pokémon, journeyed afar. Long did he search. And far and wide, too, until one he did find. Asked he, "Why do you hide?" To which the Pokémon replied... "If you bear your sword to bring harm upon us, with claws and fangs, we will exact a toll. "From your kind we will take our toll, for it must be done. "Done it must be to guard ourselves and for it, I apologize." To the skies, the young man shouted his dismay. "In having found the sword, I have lost so much. "Gorged with power, I grew blind to Pokémon being alive. "I will never fall savage again. This sword I denounce and forsake. "I plead for forgiveness, for I was but a fool." So saying, the young man hurled the sword to the ground, snapping it.
Seeing this, the Pokémon disappeared to a place beyond seeing...
>>
>>49732985
>Original 151
>Psychic Types dominated the field
>no Darks, only Steel if Magnetite counts
>Gastly evolution tree was also Poison, thus Psychic is super effective against them
>Bug types couldn't do shit to Psychics even with type advantage due to how crap they were
I'd rather not.
>>
>>49733468
Pokemon chronicles was all one shots of "meanwhiles".
>>
>>49733966
Oh shit I totally forgot Chronicles, thank you so much!
>>
>>49733831
There wasn't much else of a equivalent to use desu besides Thieves guilds, which is patently ridiculos and still probbably going to end up being called jews by lazy people.

There simply isnt really a "Ye Olde Mafia" equivalent to use.
>>
>>49733990
...desu? I need to sleep.
>>
>>49733954
But anon, you're just jealous of my team of six Mewtwos :^)
>>
>>49730830
Do you want to do it as in ceating your own system? Or as in you would like to play one?
If t is the latter I highly recommend pokerole, it is not a perfect system but it got most of the pokemon feeling right and its easy to run and learn at the same time.
>>
>>49733295
>PTU
>D20

I think you're thinking of something else. It's still crunchy as fuck but PTU is a d6 dicepool system
>>
>>49732985
nice bait /vp/
(You) earned it.
>>
>>49737311
PTU is d6 overworld and d20 combat. A lot of its crunch comes from a lack of unifying mechanics.
>>
>>49738976
Not really. The only thing its used for in combat is accuracy, and thats mainly because the main line of video games give moves accuracy in 5% increments (no move has an accuracy not ending in a 5 or 0). After that damage is some other dice amount, and combat manuvers still use your d6 pools.

Whats up with people assuming d20 instantly makes the whole system behave one way or another? Is there something inherently wrong with a number generator that has a 5% chance for each result? Or do people just want to disassociate with it because its become a well known "nerd" item?
>>
>>49739215
I'm actually fine with d20 by itself, I just think PTU is shit in terms of making you look up what you roll all the time because none of their systems work together. Their dice pools don't even work right, since they add up instead of using successes and failures like any other d6 game.
>>
>>49730830
>>49730854
Just straight-up using all the existing pokemon is very convenient for the GM and players. You don't have to constantly be introducing and explaining new 'mons, you get shittons of art and other inspiration, and you also have a large repository of expectations that you can use or subvert.

Throw out the type chart, attack list, and stats. Don't bother using any of the systems that try to just port mechanics from the game, you don't want to be constantly using Bulbapedia to look up base stats, movesets, etc. Treat pokemon more like D&D monsters. Each has its own unique powers and abilities. There's some commonalities across similar monsters, but also many exceptions. Encountering new monsters is common, but it would be difficult for a player to seek out a specific type of monster. Some are treated as animals to be hunted, some are dangerous monsters to be avoided, some are powerful beings revered by locals.

Monster intelligence can vary: some are only slightly smarter than a plant and couldn't even be taught commands, some are animalistic and may be possible to train, some have primitive intelligence and may be able to use tools and learn simple words, some are fully intelligent with their own language, tools, and societies.

Instead of fully-custom pokemon, try using variants or custom evolutions, like how D&D has dire/giant/celestial/elemental/etc. versions of most animals. The pokemon series has always dabbled with the idea of variant pokemon, even before Alolan forms the TCG had alternate-type versions of pokemon.

Going fully gritty or grimdark definitely feels like parody/deconstruction territory. Make the world mostly peaceful, make most people friendly. At best, people treat pokemon with kindness and respect, at worst they are treated as tools or livestock, but there's no pokemon abuse. You could do modern, fantasy, or sci-fi settings, but I would stay away from grittier stuff like post-apocalyptic or medieval settings.
>>
>>49731012
OP said not a deconstruction

>>49730830
You do it by preserving the emotional tone. Treat the kids' ambition as worthy, their optimism justified, and their relationships with their monster pals as critically important. Since your players are presumably adults, they're going to think of unfortunate implications behind what's going on, but keep them in line and never let it get any darker than, say, Digimon.
>>
>>49739510
Thats just ridiculous. They did it because they still want to have target numbers for success, but also want the charcters to have a reliable margin of success based on their skill. For example with 3d6 in a skill you can reliably get around 10, but results like 15-18 are still possible, just less frequent.

And neither D&D's system nor dice pools represent that better. Since in d20s case, you are just as likely to get an 11 (rough average of many d20 rolls) as you are to get any other number, it doesnt really showcase a characters prowess in a particular skill. I cant say too much about how other d6 pool systems work, but from how ive seen them stated here, you count up failures (6s) and successes (1s) and which ever is higher is the result (or needing more for certain actions). But since pass/fail for each individual die is the same odds, it still suffers from the same problem d20 does, you just roll more to hopefully be in your favor.
>>
>>49733320
I feel like the Mystery Dungeon games have always been secretly better than the main series. They get to keep the iconic characters, but have a lot more freedom to refine and re-design the core mechanics while the main series is still mostly frozen with 20-year-old design choices.

It also lends itself much better to tabletop. Each player only has to keep track of 1 character. Pokemon can actually have personality and relationships instead of being nothing more than glorified weapons to collect.
>>
>>49739840
One can always count on butthurt PTU devs in these threads.
>>
>>49739885
I'm no dev, I just play in my friend's game. Hell i didnt know there were even forums for this shit till someone brought it up at the table a week ago.
>>
>>49739885
>say something stupid
>get called out
>"w-wow sure is defense force in here"
>>
>>49739840
PTU's dice pools are a joke. They make contested rolls worthless since even a single rank up practically guarantees a victory, and the game likely avoids any set DCs because anything even possible for a non optimized player might as well not even be rolled for someone who did take just a couple ranks. Do a d20 or take successes vs failures, dice pools based on addition are shit.
>>
>>49740034
That response was probably a bit angry, I just hate these dice pools since I'm running a game with it myself. Eventually I just stopped having people roll and did stuff directly by rank. PTU tried as hard as possible to remove randomness from the dice roll, but at that point why are you even rolling dice?
>>
>>49740158
For the first part of your complaint, yes higher ranks have a better chance of success, but it is far from the garunteed success you make it out to be. At 2 ranks difference however your argument begins to hold water, but then again i would expect just a decent martial artist to hold a candle to a machamp in a grapple fest.

As for the second complaint, the system has plenty of space for set DCs set by the GM. Theres a whole section on it in the book. And in that same section the also cover margin of success, so its not just a hard line of pass fail (you know, good GMing tips). And no shit you're going to have a harder time of doing something outside your character's skill set and an easier time at something they've specialized in. That's just common sense, and like i said before actually shows your character's prowess.
>>
>>49731031
rollan

>>49731673
wow.

that's the opposite of what it should be. that's terrible in every way I know.

Pokemon Battles shouldn't be underground fighting rings, they should be a useful cultural holdover from the days before the proto-'Heavenly Kings', if you don't mind the Japanese term, united their respective regions beneath them, opening up a once dangerous frontier to an era of trade and settlement. I like to think of the Gyms as an evolution of local nobility or monasteries and such, Local sages and warlords training pupils to defend the local town and/or gather power, eventually swearing fealty to the higher power. Maybe work in the old Kalos kings or something, I dunno.

Over time it went from 'incredibly necessary martial skill' to 'useful sport', while political power went through the same things it did here.

The Wild should be less a tiger-headed opium nightmare of horror and more a...well a wilderness. It's dangerous to the point people warn children not to go there without protection, but such protection has long since been well integrated into the culture. Particularly docile and trainable ones get handed out to 10 year olds, after all. The bigger trade nodes have been well carved from the wilderness anyway, allowing for true metropoli to form.

That's just my shitty interpretation. There's no need to go full grimderp.
>>
>>49740265
Dont worry, i know where we are and i take every post with a grain of salt. No biggie mang.

But seriously, it doesnt take away randomness. Each rank is only a +3 to your average, meaning you can still fail easy checks, even at rank 4+. Just last meet my survival man rolled a 9 for a DC16 check to gather food while at rank 5. I should have had that check with little to no problem, but i instead wandered into an ambush and still got no food.
>>
>>49740324
The section about GM setting difficulty checks is also awful, it's all math with no application. It shows you percentages of success for different ranks but it doesn't say what any of that means for the GM or how to apply challenges to parties which will inevitably have different ranks and thus wildly different chances of success all over the board. If it took all 4 rank ups to get to the point where a non optimized player didn't need to bother rolling because they will almost always fail that would be one thing, but the system scales so badly that only 1 or 2 ranks pretty much guarantee defeat. Other games, including both other dice pool games and d20 games can accomplish character progression without overly convoluted math and the destruction of randomness in rolls.
>>
>>49740419
The more dice you add, the more average your rolls tend to be, and lower numbers become downright impossible. PTU doesn't accommodate for this at all, but it means that ranks up give you significantly more than +3 on average.
>>
I'm >>49733095

I tried using the big list of rpg plots, and tried coming up with something. Maybe a legendary Pokémon is currently being threatened by a hunter (with some intel information) and the players are given the task to defend it. The catch? The environment where this Pokémon has been sighted hasn't been properly explored and they have no idea about what they could find, or where to find the Pokémon.

Is that okay for a one-shot? Would you play it?
>>
File: bwaaaah.gif (420KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
bwaaaah.gif
420KB, 500x375px
>>49740568
would work for a Pokemon movie plot/10. Though those usually have some larger event or goal around that sort of thing.

throw in a few colorful characters (which could just be the players and each other, I guess), and you've got yourself something good.
>>
>>49740568
Yeah, that sounds fine for a one shot. The Pokemon doesn't e'en need to be Legendary really.
>>
>>49740627
>>49740641
Oh good! I can then start working on it, if I've got myself something good, better hurry up and build it. Thank you!
>>
>>49733810
Sounds like fun, but it could potentially devolve very quickly into furfaggotry if you're not careful who you let in.
>>
Run BESM with the Cute and Fuzzy Cockfighting Seizure Monsters splat. It's literally made for this.
>>
>>49740383
I like this a lot. Especially the idea that starter pokemon are basically the most-domesticated pokemon, so they're easy to train and evolve fairly quickly. Also works well with the idea that pokemon like Rattata and Pidgey are popular with trainers: animals that hang around human settlements like rats and pidgeons are likely to be easy to domesticate.

I also like that there's still plenty of room for savage pokemon that are very unlikely to ever be tamed.

I guess that one problem is what about the more intelligent pokemon? In real life, humans have very few qualms about doing pretty inhumane stuff to chimpanzees, porpoises, elephants, etc. Do trainers still capture and battle with pokemon like Alakazam and Metagross? Or are they treated more like people (perhaps with a bit of fear or disdain)? Or are intelligent pokemon simply powerful/smart enough to avoid capture?
>>
>>49730830
Allow your players to rape and impregnate their pokemon.
>>
File: Ash.jpg (137KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ash.jpg
137KB, 640x480px
>>49730830
I don't really know, to be honest. I tried to run a PTU game a while back, but I fell prey to the mistakes that a lot of idiots here are suggesting and made it way too edgy. All of the players fucking left.

My advice would be 'don't run an edgelord game'. Also, make sure that it's all in good fun. You're playing Pokémon, it's based off of a [video game/anime/card game] for kids.
>>
Too much wrangling needed for anything that isn't a movie-tier plotline or a Mystery Dungeon game
>>
>>49740518
At most youre rolling 6 dice for a skill. The highest check thats actually impossible to fail is a 6, assuming master rank in that skill. Sure its its so unlikely to fail a check of 7 at rank 6 that the stars may as well align to spell out "fuck you", but its still possible.

Take a check of 16 for example. At 1 and 2 it is very much impossible without hilariously high situational bonuses. At 3 its possible, but not likely. At 4 its still not a shoe in, since your average will be around 14. At 5 you have an average of about 17, so 16 is lower than your average, but it wouldnt take much to botch it. At Master youll likely pass, but again, its still entirely possible to fail.
>>
I think I'm the only one that got that >>49731673 was making fun of all the idiots who try to make the Pokémon world "gritty."

But I could also just be giving him too much credit.
>>
>>49740488
>complains about contested rolls and set DCs

>point out the book even has a section for gms about setting DCs, margin of failure/success, and opposed rolls.

>"diverse parties can't be challenged"
>"its hard to read"
>accomplish character progression

Sure, just keep moving the goal post along.

The initial concerns you had were answered. Unless you want to actually add to that matter, stay mad about people telling you facts about the thing you don't like.
>>
>>49731755
'And Saint Holly went down to the palace, demanding an audience with the king of the land, for the Lord had spoken to her.

The king said, who are you to approach me, your ruler, and so she spoke thus, The word of our Lord Arceus has come to me, and has given unto me a warning: The relics of His Messengers are sacred unto Him, and are not to be kept in the vaults of man.
Only His chosen prophets may hold them, for they are the ones through whom His Work is done. Return them to their shrines; lest He turn His wrath upon ye and render unto you His Judgment.

And the king laughed, saying, it is through my son's hands that I have come across these stones. They are mine, and I shall do with them as I please. Begone with you, lest I banish you from my kingdom.

And Saint Holly was cast out of the palace, and the king locked away the relics in his vault. And the Lord Arceus looked down upon the kingdom, and saw that His word had not been heeded.

And so it came to pass that the Lord Arceus sent forth His Messenger, clad in purest white, to visit His ire upon the king of the land and his court. And thus the Messenger took back the sacred relics and brought forth the fires of the Lord's Wrath, setting the palace of the king ablaze.

And the Messenger brought the stones to Saint Holly, whom watched from atop a hill, and said: Go forth, child of the Lord, and return these relics to their rightful place. So saith the Lord Arceus.'
>>
>>49744651
None of the concerns were answered. The book has a section that tells GMs to set DCs, but instead of saying how hard a challenge should be it shows a bunch of percentages that can vary wildly due to context. That should be the math that the devs use to BEGIN setting DCs, but instead we get a half-built clearly untested system. Margin of failure/success don't matter when your rolls can be anywhere between 1-36 and characters of different ranks WILL be forced into different ranges within that range, so a single challenge is nearly impossible to set so that it can challenge a full party. You can't give a partial success to a roll of 5 for a DC 9, even though the person rolled extremely well. What's an easy roll supposed to be? Cooking poffins? Baking a cake? The skill system removes randomness through a shitton of elaborate math, but then fails to give a consistent DC for challenges and it ends up breaking the system when you try to actually apply it to the game. And opposed rolls being talked about doesn't change the fact that it's practically impossible for a lower ranked character to EVER win, which makes them practically useless unless you're higher ranked which makes them work almost perfectly unless, like you said, the stars suddenly align.

Of course, the fact that the game practically forces you to minmax with skill requirements for classes (that never actually affect the class skills) and required multiclassing doesn't help at all.

>>49744462
I don't think you realize how much dice 6 really is when you're adding up the results instead of using successes/failures. Considering a DC 16, which is only halfway up the rankings, requires a Rank 3 to even ATTEMPT and a Rank 4 to ever want to attempt, that's a clear problem.

If the system wanted to remove randomness, it should have just removed the dice. Instead, this system is convoluted, doesn't work for multiple character parties, and breaks any mechanic where it actually matters in gameplay.
>>
>>49740419
i'm sure you didn't think too much about the math, and that's fine, but a single rank up in the game drops a challenger's chance of success to about 25%. You've literally got higher chances of Horn Drill hitting than an Untrained grappler holding a Novice.
>>
>>49732985
Eat shit.
>>
>>49733347
>Gen I had its fair share of stupid designs and concepts,

Which is why there was no need to consistently repeat its mistakes.
>>
>>49733347

Even the Gen 4 bullshit seems confined to Sinnoh. Arceus seems to have created Dialga and Palkia, and Dialga and Palkia in turn seem to have shaped formed Sinnoh, in much the same way that Kyogre and Groudon seem to have shaped the land and sea of Hoenn, although then you have the oddity concerning the Regis. Evidently they terraformed at least Hoenn after the basic landmasses formed going by their original lore, but with the addition of Regigigas that seems to throw a bit of confusion into the mix.
>>
>>49746370

Yo I wanna fuck that Pokémon.
>>
>>49747992
I believe there is more than one set of Regis, with Regigigas as a sort of Mission Control.
>>
>>49746449
If gen 2 was a kanto remake that only kept the original 151, the series would be dead by now.

>Oh look, Pokemon FlameCrimsonRed is out and it's set in kanto! My favorite! Let me just go catch a rattata, like I did in the last 5 games! Amazing!
>>
>>49748009
You really don't, unless you want a mind-reading all powerful Yandere stalking you for the rest of your life.
>>
File: tumblr_odo4r912Sh1tv2iddo1_1280.png (289KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odo4r912Sh1tv2iddo1_1280.png
289KB, 800x1200px
>>49748197
Do you not?
>>
>>49731190
wouldn't that be just playing shin megami tensei?
>>
File: 238.png (56KB, 234x387px) Image search: [Google]
238.png
56KB, 234x387px
1. Make capturing critters require years of training. Rather than any child with a magic techno sphere, make capturing require arcane knowledge and intricate spell rites.

2. Make proper raising and training of critters difficult and specialized, requiring tools and assets for each type to justify why people specialize, because it takes a large pack to just carry the bare essentials for one critter, with more being required the more different your critters are from each other. You clearly wouldn't need the same tools to raise your magic fish into a magic octopus canon as you'd need to raise your magic bird into a magic kungfu bird

3. Reward creativity over brute strength. If you've got a magic fire dog, figure out what creative things you can do with it.

4. Do not prevent player intervention and action during battle. If your opponents got a magic fire lizard that's beating up your poor magic radish, there's no reason you can't try and douse it's tail with a bucket of water to kill it if your radish has put it to sleep
>>
>>49748429
You can't kill a Charizard by dousing it's tail flame. Its flame is a sign of it being alive, not the cause of it. You toss water on it it'll just reignite and be pissed at you.
>>
File: explorers of sky.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
explorers of sky.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
If you want to run something with a good deal less bookkeeping, you could always run a Mystery Dungeon style campaign. That way each player is only tracking 1 pokemon's stats as opposed to a full team in addition to whatever trainer stats.
>>
>>49747992
Regigigas towed the continents around and commanded the regis.

>>49748047
Anime canon there's multiple of most legendaries/mythicals. Lugias breeding, multiple Celebis (though it might just be the same Celebi because time travel shit and the ones that die are saved by itself changing time), multiple sets of regis (lucario movie), people referencing that the Eon Duo are just extremely rare pokemon and that one trainer who pounded Ash's ass in a pokemon league had a team including fucking Darkrai and a Latias and probably more legendaries but those two beat the shit out of Ash before they could be shown.

But its confirmed that pokemon runs on multiverse theory, so anime world might be where several universes worth of legendaries ended up for /reasons/ and may have established their own unusual ecologies that normally wouldn't exist. Pokemon like Palkia and Hooppa could very well traverse multiverses, and Hoopa's enough of a prankster that he might have sent some legendaries to some other universe for shits and gigs.

Though Mystery Dungeon canon plays around more with the multiverse theory, since EoS split the universe and effective timelines in two when Arceus twinned the universe to save the future that was going to be paradoxed out of existence because the future trio of Celebi, Grovyle, and Dusknoir were badasses. Then its implied that Super Mystery Dungeon takes place in this twinned universe.
>>
>>49730830
Have your players just play themselves.
Everyone wants to be a pokemon trainer, and this way there's no disparity between 'these are my favorite pokemon' and 'my character would want these pokemon'

Just make them play younger versions of themselves.
>>
>>49748545
Yeah, OR/AS confirming multiverse as canon threw me for a loop too, though it seems obvious in retrospect.

When you look at legendary mons as being kami, instead of western gods they make a lot more sense.
>>
>>49748009
Get in line.
>>
>>49748823
>that middle one
>cant_wake_up.jpeg

>>49748528
Mystery Dungeon is pretty comfy. Well, okay, when the world isn't ending.
>>
File: 1464656323003.png (34KB, 498x811px) Image search: [Google]
1464656323003.png
34KB, 498x811px
>>49748197
I get the feeling Gardevoir only go full yandere when the trainer is something of a jealous psycho themselves.The Ralts line's three main traits are over-protectiveness, sensing emotions, and copying those nearby, so stay near one long enough and they'll probably develop a similar personality.

This only gets really dangerous when the trainer and Pokemon form a relationship of co-dependent sociopathy.
>>
File: everyone was harmed.gif (2MB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
everyone was harmed.gif
2MB, 500x370px
>>49748965
>give a Ralts to someone depressed
>>
>>49748984
Eh giving Wally a Ralts in the Hoenn games seems to have helped. Granted he got a male one, things may have been different if he'd gotten a girl.
>>
>>49748863
The artiest does some cute as fuck shit.
>>
>>49731025
I agree, that Vulpix is cute as fuck.
>>
Don't do custom Pokemon, don't do the gym badge thing. It's mostly glossed over but Pokemon has an entire infrastructure just like real life: office workers, police officers, thieves, families, soldiers. Craft a plot that could happen today, and then layer Pokemon into it.
>>
>>49749192
To clarify: craft a plot that could happen today in real life, then layer Pokemon into it. Maybe it's just because I've been watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure again lately, but part 4 (uncovering a murderer in a small town) is a lot more compelling than any of the parts before it (vampire murderquest trilogy)
>>
File: 260px-Jade_Cocoon.jpg (21KB, 260x265px) Image search: [Google]
260px-Jade_Cocoon.jpg
21KB, 260x265px
>>49730830
Pic related is the only correct answer.
>>
File: old_habits_by_rakkuguy-d9sa0or.png (2MB, 1024x3487px) Image search: [Google]
old_habits_by_rakkuguy-d9sa0or.png
2MB, 1024x3487px
>>
>>49748429
Your idea works okay as long as the players throw away every notion of the Pokémon world. Otherwise it will come off as needlessly gritty.
>>
>>49745776
>rank 4 to ever want to attempt

You're making it sound like the players know the DC before they even commit to the action, at which point your game has too much Metagaming. It's not like it's impossible for the rank 3 to succeed, just not likely. And that's assuming both no bonuses to the roller and a hard pass/fail mentality for the check. Using degree of failure, a check of 16 and a roll of 12, it may have just taken them thrice as long to do whatever it was.

And the success failures thing has already been addressed as being as much of a "coin flip" as d20, because all you're doing is throwing a fistful of dice and hoping you get more heads than tails. The ONLY point in which that system can show off a character's skill is when you need more than 1 success to complete a task, only showing off your "skill" as by having that many dice to throw in the first place.
>>
>>49751677
If you want your dice system to strip out any randomness, then don't use dice. Both d20 and d6 games manage to do character progression and make skills matter just fine without this stupid exploding dice system.

A DC 16 check isn't even uncommon or that hard, but non optimized characters can't even attempt it and the only "fix" is a vague main of success/failure that can only apply sometimes and suggests to just throw out the dice results anyway. It's a system that claims to be about proper math, but ends up just causing tons of extra work to the GM and leaves players unable to even GUESS if their action is even possible, let alone likely enough to attempt. It doesn't mesh at all with the classes or the combat rules either, so it's an overly elaborate system that would literally be easier to just strip out rather than try to wrangle into a working mess.

But at least it's not the injuries rules. It's got that going for it.
>>
>>49751677
In any other dice game a player can guess about what the DC of a challenge will be by consulting the easy/medium/hard/etc checks and extrapolating. This is something that SHOULD exist, it's not metagaming. Anybody can gauge a challenge in real life, even if they're sometimes off.
>>
Are they trainers or Pokemon?

>>49749192
How do you let your players know their job isn't to catch all 151 and beat the elite 8?
>>
>>49754387
Just tell them up front before the game starts.
>>
>>49754418
Something like "hey, I know the games are about catching pokemon and trainers, and you can do that if you really want, but I wasn't really intending my campaign to be about that, it's more of a [...]"?

How about a setting with no pokeballs? Suddenly "trainers" don't make nearly as much sense. It's just people in a cutesy world with mystical animals.
>>
>>49754453
Yes, just be honest with them on what the campaign is about so they don't build teams or trainers for false expectations. That's a good rule for most games.

You could do a game without Pokeballs, just remember that Pokemon is a game that's built around team building with the type chart. If you plan on keeping that, then your players need to make sure their initial choices will get some decent coverage.
>>
>>49754453
>team building with the type chart
What do you mean?
>>
>>49730830
she's wearing a light sundress and has an Alolan Vulpix sitting on her lap.

Wouldn't that be cold and uncomfortable as shit?
>>
>>49754552
Pokemon is built around having a team of multiple Pokemon, where no single monster has a good match-up against everything they see. So if each of your players will only have one or two Pokemon throughout their entire campaign, the choice of what you're initial Pokemon are becomes more important.
>>
>>49754453
It doesn't mean they can't catch Pokémon if they need to diversify their team. It means that they should follow a narrative more than being a mindless collector.
>>
>>49754554

She's trying to cool her tits, obviously.
>>
>>49754687
>>49754798
Oh, you're talking about the paper-scissor-rock type stuff.

I'm now thinking it could be cool to have a Monster of the Week style campaign where the players must befriend the right team of new pokemon to team up with the skills to beat a rogue pokemon/trainer.
>>
>>49749812

Why did Gardevoir become the go-to Pokemon for human-pokemon relationships both adorable and lewd?
>>
>>49754845
Because both Kirlia and Gardevoir look like girls and were the first Pokémon to do so.
>>
>>49754845
Because it's humanoid and feminine despite being in the same egg group as waste, blobs, mollusks, the undead, and an eel. Why the fuck is the eel in there. What the fucking hell.
>>49754988
Jinx and Smoochum were earlier. But Kirlia and Gardevoir don't look horrible.
>>
>>49754845
They're humanoid without being ugly or weird. That's really all there is to it, they look like people instead of pets like most Pokemon so people jack off to them.
>>
>>49754845
Tons of other Pokemon get non lewd interaction with trainers. If a person is drawing primarily Gardevoir with their trainer, nine times out of ten it's because of lewd.
>>
File: 2323455158.png (28KB, 500x223px) Image search: [Google]
2323455158.png
28KB, 500x223px
>>49755083
>>49755047

They're also born with pretty white dresses that flap in the psionic wind of their awesome power.
>>
>>49755107
And they can fuck a Muk and have a viable baby.
Or a Dusclops.
Or a Magcargo.
Or Eelektross.
But nothing else humanoid other than another Gardevoir/Gallade/Kirlia. Unless you count Gengar.
>>
File: 1473296286072.png (306KB, 360x539px) Image search: [Google]
1473296286072.png
306KB, 360x539px
>>49732985
It's like I'm really on /vp/.
>>
>>49755148

Gardevoir is built for some weird, weird shit.
>>
>>49754554
Not if you're an alien.
>>
>>49733082
Your Opinion is factually wrong.

the 151 were not perfect, on the contrary, around 60% of the designs are ass.

For example, Tangela is the ONLY pure grass type pokemon.

Or the fact that Ghost type, despite supposedly being Psychics weakness, was confined to three pokemon, all weak to Psychic, and had two ghost moves, one of which was a % based attack, the other didn't actually work on Psychic types.
>>
>>49754554
>>49755581

Vulpix are pleasantly warm to the touch, I figure Alolan Vulpix are as cool as a gentle breeze.

Considering she's at a beach in a tropical setting, an Alolan Vulpix on her lap probably feels incredible.
>>
>>49755781
Nah shit would suck.
>>
>>49755981

I think you're full of wrong opinions.
>>
>>49755662
Don't forget that, even if Lick DID work on Psychics, it had a base power of Fuck All
And then there's the stupidity of Dragons being weak to Dragon but the only Dragon move being fixed damage.
>>
>>49754845
Because a cute. A CUTE.
>>
>>49756075

I want a Gardevoir and bully her into cuteness!
>>
File: gardevoir olev icecream.png (269KB, 572x556px) Image search: [Google]
gardevoir olev icecream.png
269KB, 572x556px
>>49756075
Gardevoir is for cute, not lewd.
>>
>>49731031
rollan
>>
>>49756168

Gardevoir can read your mind and alter herself accordingly.
>>
>>49754845
She's moderately humanoid, feminine and girly. And then there's the dex-entries.

>Gardevoir has the psychokinetic power to distort the dimensions and create a small black hole. This Pokémon will try to protect its Trainer even at the risk of its own life.

>It apparently does not feel the pull of gravity because it supports itself with psychic power. It will give its life to protect its Trainer.

It's pretty much unconditional love.

How wouldn't people be attracted to it? It has all the right stuff mixed in.
>>
>>49755047
It's a lamprey, not an eel. Lampreys are as disgusting as sentient waste so that's why it is in the Amorphous egg group. That's my theory anyway.
>>
>>49756382
The weird thing is that they are ONLY in the Amorphous group.
A lamprey is very much a fish. A horrible, disgusting, barely-fish that is currently believed to be from the most primitive type of fish in existence, but still just barely a fish, yet it cannot breed with one of the fishy egg groups, only industrial waste, the undead, and black hole generating freaks. Which means that it may be something more than just a lamprey (much like how Gardevoir is obviously not simply Cute Feminine Thing but some unholy aberration)
That said, it can mate with Stunfisk. Stunfisk is into freaky stuff.
>>
>>49740383
My only addition to this is to make the pokemon more or less kinda do the same thing.
Pokemon love to fight, and are damn near impossible to kill. Leave a dozen pokemon in a room, they'll eventually begin to have well mannered duels to see who's the goddamn best.
Most pokemon work with humans because humans are actually really freakin clever, and teach them to do things excellently.
>>
File: 1459989910773.jpg (115KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
1459989910773.jpg
115KB, 569x428px
>>49756495
>much like how Gardevoir is obviously not simply Cute Feminine Thing but some unholy aberration

Since the egg group they're all in is called Amorphous, I have always suspected Gardevoir doesn't actually have bones. The Pokedex says they support their bodies with psychic power so I imagine their limbs are extremely squishy and shapeless (like the "dress") if not being actively augmented.

They might even just be psychic constructs while the real Pokemon is the chest crystal.
>>
File: gardevoir stuck.png (136KB, 540x959px) Image search: [Google]
gardevoir stuck.png
136KB, 540x959px
>>49756656
>I imagine their limbs are extremely squishy and shapeless (like the "dress") if not being actively augmented.

>They might even just be psychic constructs while the real Pokemon is the chest crystal.

Cute!
>>
>>49731031
Someone went through an awful lot of trouble to come up with a title that shortens to FEMINISM, but I can't figure out why.

Still rolling, though.
>>
File: pokamans.jpg (260KB, 804x960px) Image search: [Google]
pokamans.jpg
260KB, 804x960px
>>49732985
Large parts of the 151 were mistakes too, and a handful of the new pokémon are okay. You could probably throw together a list of 200 odd pokémon if you cleared away all the complete shit.

>>49733020
You can still make up your own pokemon even if there aren't a thousand canon ones.
>>
>>49733247
The physical/special split existed back in Red and Blue too, it was just retarded.
>>
>>49756829
Is Drown'd steel water or water ghost?
>>
>>49756891
Regular water of course, with good HP and defenses and a decent defensive ability.
>>
File: kiminiki_by_rakkuguy-d8ux24o.png (612KB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
kiminiki_by_rakkuguy-d8ux24o.png
612KB, 1024x1280px
>>49756168
She's for both!
>>
Which Pokemon you'd like as your starter?

It has to be an initial stage Pokemon and it has to evolve at least once.
>>
>>49756847
No it didn't, the physical/special split refers to moves being physical or special on a case by case basis, instead of all moves of a certain type being physical or special.
>>
File: gardevoir cream.jpg (109KB, 740x800px) Image search: [Google]
gardevoir cream.jpg
109KB, 740x800px
>>49757049
Only cute!
>>
File: confused archen.gif (217KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
confused archen.gif
217KB, 500x281px
>>49757148
This guy. He understands me.
>>
While we're on the subject of Gardevoir.
Gardevoir Illuminati: y/n?
>>
>>49757444
Illuminate is the worst ability ever though.
>>
So has anyone here actually played/ran PokeRole?

I need notes and tips very badly
>>
>>49757815
I like their Mystery Dungeon expansion. Feels like Changeling from World of Darkness.

Also, steal the tile system from it. Real good.
>>
>>49757815
>>49757840
I prefer d20 systems and I found PokeRole to just be better at a lot of things than PTU, their Mystery Dungeon module is the only reason I even picked up the system and I am glad I did.
>>
>>49759514
>I prefer d20 systems
opinion discarded
>>
>>49731031
Rollan.
>>
>>49757391
Archeops is my favorite Pokemon. She was the first pokemon I ever bred to 6 IVs. I used her through my playthrough of X. I wish she had any kind of hidden ability... as it is, I just use her in Doubles with a partner that uses an ability-replacing move.
>>
>>49760165
Having a hidde on Archeops would defeat the purpose of what it is designed for. Maybe something like Truant or Slow start.
>>
>>49756280

So she's an adorable humanoid woman with psychic powers, a knack for adjusting herself to your "tastes", has a cute dress that billows in her psychic wind and loves you to death?

I need more comics featuring cute or lewd Gardevoirs, please.
>>
File: 1459641771785.png (637KB, 700x2264px) Image search: [Google]
1459641771785.png
637KB, 700x2264px
>>49760475
Here's a classic.
>>
File: 1431911115329.png (87KB, 333x282px) Image search: [Google]
1431911115329.png
87KB, 333x282px
>>49760611

>That Gardevoir surprise hugging her trainer

It feels like the Mega would be hotter if she wasn't using a chain.
>>
File: 1416127594247.png (1MB, 1024x3631px) Image search: [Google]
1416127594247.png
1MB, 1024x3631px
>>49760661
It's a common theme in that particular artist's work that the Gardevoir is incredibly thirsty while the trainer isn't interested. I only saved that one because he's reciprocating a little at first, since he usually ignores her in favor of his Sharpedo.
>>
File: 1429922092866.png (495KB, 947x887px) Image search: [Google]
1429922092866.png
495KB, 947x887px
>>49760729

Dude I need artist names, I wanna binge on these panels all night they're so cute OH MY GOD.
>>
File: Gardevoir cookie.jpg (304KB, 926x1853px) Image search: [Google]
Gardevoir cookie.jpg
304KB, 926x1853px
>>49760729
>>
>>49760762
Filename, bro.
>>
File: 1461996450455.png (2MB, 3500x2300px) Image search: [Google]
1461996450455.png
2MB, 3500x2300px
>>49760762
Thirsty Gardevoir is Bano Akira, Cute Gardevoir is Rakkuguy.

Pic related goes by Blueguy on /vp/ but I don't know much about him otherwise.
>>
File: gardevoir consider.png (526KB, 2209x1142px) Image search: [Google]
gardevoir consider.png
526KB, 2209x1142px
>>49760661
>That Gardevoir surprise hugging her trainer

Dude she has a fucking spine in her chest, it would be torture.
>>
>>49760880

It seems blunt enough.
>>
File: 1462317723228.jpg (112KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
1462317723228.jpg
112KB, 1000x666px
Well discussion on this thread's real topic seems to be over, might as well let it evolve into Gardevoir posting.

>tfw your waifu will never give up her life expending all of her psychic power to rip space and time apart to protect you
>>
File: 1445206337749.gif (816KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1445206337749.gif
816KB, 540x304px
>>49761046

>Green haired psychic with a long, flowing dress that separates

Was Gardevoir inspired by Tatsumaki?
>>
File: 1459817799371.jpg (125KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1459817799371.jpg
125KB, 800x800px
>>49761071
Considering Ruby and Sapphire came out in 2002 and One punch Man was first published in 2009, I'm gonna have to say no.
>>
>>49740568 here, I'm fucked, they closed the RPG entries before I could have something done and I was suggested to save it for the next small convention which will happen in a couple weeks.

At least I've got time to prepare I guess. Thank you everyone.
>>
>>49761071

More like Tatsumaki was inspired by Gardevoir, which I wouldn't be too surprised by since the author seemed to love ripping designs out from other bits of media.
>>
File: 1475815154447.gif (1MB, 550x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475815154447.gif
1MB, 550x500px
If OP or anyone else is still here, I have a few recommendations.

Copy Pikachu and Meowth from the anime. With Tabletop, Pokémon should be more like those two, with personalities and wants that might scrape against the Trainer a bit.

With Tabletop Pokémon, you should think of Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider than the anime. While you can give them a capable starter, think around the box and give them Pokémon that can help clear challenges. Grass types tend to have extend-o limbs that you can use to climb, water types can help you navigate underwater caves, etc.

A Gym Challenge should be closer to the old Nickelodeon game shows, like the Temple one. Try to make it so that it's the Trainer + the Pokémon that prevail, rather than just having bigger numbers. The anime had some goofy but still useful challenges to steal.

I'd argue that the maximum party would be 3 Pokémon per player. You should try and make their personalities like something out of a cheap manga (a serious Lucario with OCD, a Blaziken that loves to dance, etc.). They'll evolve as the story goes and your players will love it.
>>
File: pawniard.png (216KB, 465x565px) Image search: [Google]
pawniard.png
216KB, 465x565px
>>49757391
I had a bitching Archeops in my Gen V games...
Gen V actually had a pretty high amount of bro tier mons, more than usual.

>>49757148
Speaking of Gen V bros, I'd choose this awesome little dude.
>>
>>49757148
Larvitar all the way.
>>
>>49731031
rollin
>>
File: サー騎士.jpg (94KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
サー騎士.jpg
94KB, 600x800px
>>49761046
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=48253740
>>
>>49757148
>>49757391 here and I just realized I didn't post a contingency in case I couldn't get an Archen.

Luckily I have an extensive alternatives in mind in the event of a shortage of fossil birds. There's no way whoever's giving out starters won't have at least one of these.

>Phanpy
>Eevee
>Rattata
>Buneary
>Geodude
>Lilipup
>Deerling
>Slowpoke
>Spheal
>Mareep
>>
>>49763064
>Gardevoir (Male)
>>
File: Pokethulhu.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Pokethulhu.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Anyone have recommendations for a light-weight system for pokemon? Pic related.
>>
>>49763172
I ran pokethulhu at a convention a few years back, with about 12 players.

It ended with a large group of people watching our game and the universe imploding in a single, perfect moment of looped time. The weird part was that I was just running them through the 'suggested' story out of laziness.
>>
File: cats.png (504KB, 540x614px) Image search: [Google]
cats.png
504KB, 540x614px
>>49755288
Gen 4 was not great, but it gave us the Shinx line, Buizel/Floatzel, the bloons, Garchomp, Togekiss, and Shaymin so it can't be that bad.
>>
>>49763064
>Messing with a Gardevoir and its trainer without Pokemon of your own
>Not expecting this

What the fuck did they think was going to happen?
>>
File: Cubone Knight.png (108KB, 700x850px) Image search: [Google]
Cubone Knight.png
108KB, 700x850px
>>49739865
Yeah, honestly
I've been wanting to play a PMD game for ages
I had a character and everything
>>
File: sheep pile.png (396KB, 2500x1405px) Image search: [Google]
sheep pile.png
396KB, 2500x1405px
>>49757148
Give me sheep.
>>
>>49763293
New Zealand pls
>>
>>49763277
Give us more details on your character
>>
>>49763277
I had a group thinking about doing it once, our group was Larvitar, Torchic, and Riolu. Never got off the ground sadly.
>>
File: 1458436347949.jpg (374KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1458436347949.jpg
374KB, 680x680px
>>49763218
It also gave us Best Queen.

>tfw Vespiquen will never be viable
>>
File: AMPHAROS ON MOTOR SCOOTERS.gif (691KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
AMPHAROS ON MOTOR SCOOTERS.gif
691KB, 400x280px
>>49763310
No, I'm a proud stereotype. Give me sheep friend.
>>
>>49763371
Ampharos seems like it should be fairy or dragon type or something.
>>
>>49763318
Essentially a cubone that was protected/saved by the swords of justice, and tried its hardest to emulate them by going around and emulating the knightly standards and attempting to help people. He wasn't the best at it, but he was incredibly devoted to trying, so the rrescue team/expedition guild/society(I don't remember what it was going to be in-setting) decided he was worth taking in and trying to train
>>
File: ride the lightning.jpg (211KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
ride the lightning.jpg
211KB, 1131x707px
>>49763383
>dragon type
WELL HAVE I GOT THE MEGASTONE FOR YOU FRIEND.
>>
>>49763371
Rather than just leaving Ampharos in a Pokeball this guy went not of his way to get a scooter big enough for both of them.

That's what separates real Pokémon Trainers from the amateurs
>>
>>49763293
I'll trade you some for wood.
>>
>>49763469
Also a helmet, because he cares that his big electric giraffe sheep is safe.

A+ trainer
>>
>>49763406
I don't care for mega evolves.

It would just have been nice to catch the electrosheep early in gentoo and after leveling and training it up, it turns into a kickcute dragon lighting zapper.
>>
>go on /vp/
>see kirby thread
>go on /tg/
>see pokemon thread
This is getting silly.
>>
>>49763522
>I don't care for mega evolves
>When the mega evolution clearly makes it a dragon-type
You dumb nigga
>>
>>49763569
No you nigger, I mean I don't care for them as a concept, a mechanic and in general.
>>
>>49763590
You're still dumb as fuck. How ELSE do you think Ampharos was going to gain a dragon type? Retcons? Those shits don't happen unless there's a new type.
>>
>>49763606
>Those shits don't happen unless there's a new type.
>Ampharos seems like it should be fairy

You are a retard and your taste in pokemon is shit. You are like a crappy Australia, like the Canada of the southern hemisphere.

An Underworld Leaf.
>>
>>49763606
That makes me wonder what is going to happen to the Goldenrod Gym now that half of its Pokémon are now the wrong type.
>>
>>49763638
>Ampharos seems like it should be fairy
>or dragon type or something
Are you retarded? I was clearly referring to the dragon typing. And no, I wasn't implying that Ampharos should be a fairy, I was implying that it couldn't have gained the dragon type in any other way.

Jesus fuck how dense can you be.

>>49763642
Good question, in fact. Maybe Whitney is retconned as a fairy leader? It fits her somehow. Or the Clefairy gets retconned to a Jigglypuff.
>>
>>49763669
Not as dense as you fucktard. I'm saying it would have been nice for it have happened as an organic thing back in gentoo, not that I want it to be dragon type now.

Reading
Fucking
Comprehension

You're probably an abbo though so you're too high on petrol to even read what I'm typing right now.
>>
>>49763694
>I'm saying it would have been nice for it have happened as an organic thing back in gentoo
You're given a solution to and whine instead.

Let me guess, a fan who never gets happy with anything? I bet you're also now complaining about the recent Corocoro leaks.

And no, before you say something I don't suck GF's cock. But at least I don't whine at the very first chance I have.
>>
>>49763737
Nope, you lose that bet pretty hard faggotsucker.

Now apologize.
>>
Rolled 8, 1 = 9 (2d10)

>>49731031
>>
Tell me some stories
Plot hooks
Rivals
Challenges
Non-combat encounters

Anything
>>
File: undeadgriffin.jpg (85KB, 886x529px) Image search: [Google]
undeadgriffin.jpg
85KB, 886x529px
>>49763782
brutal
>>
>>49730830

story light, exploration heavy. Have areas pre-planned, random encounter tables, and lots of interesting things to find. Use the anime for ideas, a forest isn't just a forest because it has, hidden at its centre, a secret cave hiding a beautiful, powerful vespiquen that controls all the combee for miles around! This stretch of ocean seems featureless, but an enormous wailord, larger than any ever seen before, has been spotted attacking boats in the area! that kind of thing.
>>
File: 1475862662213.png (91KB, 514x770px) Image search: [Google]
1475862662213.png
91KB, 514x770px
>>49763392
Cubone/Marowak seems perfect for a stand alone Dungeon crawler murderhobo.

If you can get yourself a DnD 4e or 5e game, you could play as Dragonborne with it.

>>49763805
Run with American Dark type stereotype and have the Gym challenge require some Ninja tier infiltration.

The Flying and Water Gym are actually part of the DMV. There's a written test that you need to pass, which scores you the HM. To be able to use it freely and get the right license, you need to pass an obstacle course.
>>
Today is the day that you start your pokemon journey...

you wake up at an inn
>>
>>49732985
(you)
>>
>>49757148

Oof, depends on the party. Tempted by Treecko, my old favourite, but I might go for something a little less standard- eevee for mutability, tyrogue for the warrior spirit, maybe a magby just for how cute it starts and how awesome it gets.

I've always played around with the idea of have a wailord and flying around on its back, though. I don't care what the moveset says, that thing can fucking fly.
>>
>>49763943
Ugh, my head feels heavy. I don't even remember drinking anything heavy after the work stuff was done.

I just recall a bright light that asked me some questions, but what were they?
>>
File: coco and floof.jpg (37KB, 540x513px) Image search: [Google]
coco and floof.jpg
37KB, 540x513px
>>49763638
You're not even talking to the New Zealander, I went to talk about metal gear and came back to find this. Calm down and have a warm drink.
>>
>>49763524
>go on /po/
>see a miniatures thread
>>
>>49757815
What kind of tips?
Just keep it simple, the most fun my players had was when we played a "filler" episode. Also I quite recommend to use the song "meeting and parting" from the pokemon anime at the end of every session for a good nostalgia trip.
Thread posts: 253
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.