[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people keep perpetuating the "Savage Worlds is fast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: savage-worlds_orig.jpg (70KB, 960x450px) Image search: [Google]
savage-worlds_orig.jpg
70KB, 960x450px
Why do people keep perpetuating the "Savage Worlds is fast and simple" meme?

It's lighter than GURPS, sure, but it's not at all a HARD AND FAST system. Combat can take a LOT of time, and a simple shootout between two small parties (3-4 men each) can take over half and hour to resolve.

Is my group just super slow, or do people just claim SW is fast without having ever played it?
>>
>>49670154
I thought it was pretty slow too. It felt like everyone was a stormtrooper firing at close range.
>>
>>49670154

D&D 3.5 kids, is my guess. If that's your baseline (and it was for a lot of folks) then SW will seem fast and simple.
>>
File: bill_clinton[1].jpg (278KB, 600x560px) Image search: [Google]
bill_clinton[1].jpg
278KB, 600x560px
Really depends on how fast fast is.

Its a lot faster than pathfinder, certainly. Once you get the hang of passing out initiative and just going with it I feel like it goes pretty fast.
>>
>>49670154

It has elements that theoretically make it faster such as most enemies being extras that die on a single wound, but no, ultimately it doesn't really feel THAT fast. I mean it feels faster than PF/D&D for the most part, but thats low hanging fruit.

That being said I think the combat in SW is pretty enjoyable, and the rules and gameplay sold me on the system, not the fast furious fun tagline.
>>
>>49670225
how does it compare to 5e?
>>
>>49670246

Yeah, I'm not really claiming the system isn't solid, it's certainly a nice system. It just bothers me that whenever someone asks for a fast/light system, SW seems to be the first answer to pop up.
>>
The hell are you guys doing? Depending on range and cover you only need a 4 to hit which is super likely just on 2d6. Average toughness is 5 so if you're using a normal handgun thats just below your average damage anyway.

Honestly you may be doing something right because my combat usually only lasts 10-30minutes at max.

Was your GM pitting you against a troop of Wild Cards? Your average extra is supposed to go down with one wound.
>>
>>49670154
Can we fucking stop calling everything a meme?
>>
>>49670154
The second one.

The probabilities for doing things in Savage Worlds are all sorts of fucked, and this comes out in force during combat. The whole system is a mess whose only saving grace is "It's not FATE, GURPS or HERO".
>>
>>49670315
Oh, I love the "stop calling everything a meme" meme. Thanks anon, saved for copy pasta later, keks were had.
>>
>>49670315
It was used in the correct context. Stop perpetuating the "meme is a buzzword" meme.
>>
>>49670315
shhhh....

Just accept that people will redefine words. I know I gave up long ago trying to correct idiots.
>>
>>49670371
>>49670364

Hey, you guys stop ganging up and memeing on that guy, you're being totally undank right now, that's not very fire of you.
>>
>>49670225
Well, it usually is suggested as an alternative for D&D so...

>>49670251
They are on the same level complexity in combat-wise, but SW enemies tend to die faster in my experience.

>>49670192
In my experience ranged combat is deadly as shit in SW.
>>
>>49670251

Id say its pretty close in terms of complexity with 5e.

>>49670296

I mean its only 5 assuming they weren't fighting anything with any form of armor or protection. I also assume enemies were not just standing in the open waiting to get shot so it probably wasn't as simple as getting a TN4 on a d6 and having the enemy insta-die.
>>
>>49670315

OP used meme in the literal definition of the word, though, you fucktard.
>>
>>49670432
>In my experience ranged combat is deadly as shit in SW.
I guess my wording made that confusing. Everyone continuously missed and it was a slog. I’m specifically talking about the second or third encounter in the jungle in the starting mission of 50 Fathoms.
>>
>>49670154
I think your group might just be slow. Combat only takes about 10 minutes max for my group.
>>
>>49670315
Just wordfilter "meme" to "joke".
>>
File: Savage Worlds - Probabilities.jpg (81KB, 534x692px) Image search: [Google]
Savage Worlds - Probabilities.jpg
81KB, 534x692px
>>49670557
Well bad rolls do happen. What were their skills in shooting? A d6 still has a decent chance of hitting and once you get higher its even rarer to miss.

Not to mention bennies.
>>
>>49670154
I've been running Savage Worlds for a while, because it's a completely non-offensive system.

In terms of speed, I have a few samples:

4 Wildcards vs. 6 extras
Gunfight resolved in about 3 rounds and 10 minutes, with description and plot being delivered in the middle of the encounter.

4 Wild cards and 3 extras vs. 1 wildcard Boss Monster
This was the only encounter of the session, so I threw my huge pile of GM bennies to soak every hit it took. On top of that, the boss monster used very evasive tactics. Encounter took about 8 rounds and 20 minutes to resolve.

5 wildcards vs. 1 wildcard and 10 extras
After kicking down the door, combat must not have lasted more than 20 minutes even with the BBEG shit-talking the party. 5 rounds exactly.

5 wildcards and 2 extras vs. 1 wildcard and 20 extras.
The encounter lasted over a dozen rounds and 45 minutes to an hour depending on when you'd say the encounter "started." We also had players new to Savage Worlds.

All I can think of for speed fixes are the following:
Are the players using bennies as anything other than a pool of extra health?
>More rerolls = more hits = significantly shorter combat
Does everyone have enough dice?
>Self-explanatory
Are you limiting wild cards on the NPC side?
>Wild cards are time-consuming.
Do NPCs fanatically fight to the last?
>Once 1/2 of them are defeated, the fun part of the encounter is over.
Do you disallow people from excessive phone use at the table?
>We've lost many precious hours to people who are in their phones and not in the game.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.