[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a new dm trying to run a campaign for 3 friends plus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1292.gif (210KB, 1320x970px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1292.gif
210KB, 1320x970px
I'm a new dm trying to run a campaign for 3 friends plus my girlfriend.

The problem is, every time I play I end up not giving my girlfriend enough attention during gameplay, and she ends up feeling useless and unhelpful.

Is there anything I can do to try to make her feel useful without coddling her and giving her the solutions? Or am I just doomed to have a GM's girlfriend scenario?
>>
>>49670086
Play a game that's not D&D.

1) It will be a better experience for all involved and 2) women, who are naturally bad with complex ideas and numbers, will have a much easier time with virtually any other system.

For an airheaded dullard like the female, something simple is best, probably Storyteller, CofD in particular.
>>
Maybe your girlfriend isn't fit for cooperative play and story telling. Maybe she needs to learn how to make herself useful and helpful instead of getting mopey whenever things don't go her way.

Maybe get her to play while someone else DMs so that there isn't that implied obligation to give her more screen time.

Most likely its that shit isn't the type to really enjoy table top games.

>>49670219
This guy is obviously bait but idgaf.
It sounds like his problem is with her, not the system. He didn't say she was having trouble with rules. The problem seems to be a spotlight one.
>>
>>49670285
D&D is far too math and planning intensive for the average woman to become comfortable with. The system is absolutely part of the problem.
>>
>>49670219
>women, who are naturally bad with complex ideas and numbers, will have a much easier time with virtually any other system.
I'm a girl and I'm ok with numbers. The problem with D&D for girls is it's too much crunch. It's not the adding up that's the problem, it's the lack of roleplay.
>>
>>49670086
Elan a cute

Also what character does your gf play? What does she enjoy doing?
>>
File: MAXIMUM OVERBAIT.gif (529KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM OVERBAIT.gif
529KB, 625x626px
>>49670219
>>
>>49670477
>3/6 of my group is female
>one of them is my girlfriend
>never had any of the problems with players (male or female) you guys moan about
>I am by far the worst at maths
>there isn't even that much maths

if you're not playing with a mixed group you're missing out
a diverse range of opinions and approaches keeps it interesting and stops it being a criclejerk
rpgs are tragically wasted on the socially awkward men that unfortunately dominate the hobby
i'm not one for gender stereotyping, but any game where you all sit around telling stories and simulating social interactions in a magical land is pretty damn feminine - and that's fine
>>
>>49670477
>D&D is far too math and planning intensive
Have you actually played D&D? Roll a d20, add some numbers, done.

For the planning, D&D needs less player leg work than other games I have played. Hell, a big part of Shadowrun's game play is specifically leg work

>>49671147
>you can't roleplay in D&D
I have never understood this opinion. Generic characters can exist in any system. Street Samurai #12, CoC Investigator #5 and Guardsman #8127 all exist
>>
>>49670086
Whenever I have a player that seems to be lacking/losing interest I try to add a generous amount of skill challenges for certain parts of dungeons that apply to the whole party. And just be a lil biased for only a couple of them to pertain to that players strengths. It at least makes my group get to encourage teamwork to cheeze those challenges together worst case scenario
>>
>>49671483
>DIVERSITY
>le anecdote
>i feel sorry for your pathetic white male groups, nerds are LOSERS
Take your retarded confirmation bias elsewhere and KYS, you stupid fucking weasel.
>>
>>49671589
worst comment of the hour award winner
>>
>>49671589
My group of 5 has a girl in it. She is honestly the best roleplayer who knowingly uses less mechanically beneficial options because of character reasons.

Also, there is no reason to be upset just because girls don't talk to you
>>
Have non of these guys played with women before?
One elf-lass saved my bardic bacon to the point that it became a group joke that I needed to be tied to her at all times.
(Which she declared the retard leash later on)
>>
>>49671572
D&D revolves entirely around tactical combat and combat progression. It has mechanics for essentially nothing else, and what it does offer in that regard is severely outclassed by every other genuine RPG on the market. D&D is based on skirmish wargaming, not roleplaying.
>>
>>49671589
i mean, i kinda don't want to say this because 95% of the people who do are reactionary MRA assholes, but from where I'm sitting it kinda looks like you've been triggered.
>>
>>49671729
What percentage of the average session do you spend in combat? Dungeons and Dragons isn't a tactical wargame (unless your DM is really boring). It's a rules-light roleplaying game with problem solving and the occasional fight to provide a change of pace.
>>
>>49671483
>i'm not one for gender stereotyping, but any game where you all sit around telling stories and simulating social interactions in a magical land is pretty damn feminine - and that's fine
Just because it's a feminine activity doesn't mean women are the best people to enjoy it with. Cooks, hairdressers, fashionistas and traps are all men better at feminine things than women.
>>
>>49671729
>mechanics dictate roleplaying
Shit argument is still shit

But maybe I am simply misunderstanding you.
Maybe an example would help me.
Name a few games that help you roleplay better
>>
>>49671816
buddy, you are not in the top tier of roleplaying gamers
to continue your analogy, the average woman is far better than cooking, hairdressing, fashion, and looking like a woman then the average man.
even if i bought your premise that 'elite' men are better at those things than 'elite' women (which i don't) taking your analogy seriously would prove that, on average, women are better at rpgs than men are, so playing with women is a safer bet.
>>
>>49671772
>classes are different means by which to kill things
>progression in a class primarily enhances your ability to kill things
>essentially no mechanics for non-combat gameplay
I don't play D&D anymore. I quickly realized what a shit game it was and moved on. But you're a brainless drone if you think D&D is a "rules lite RPG" with "just a bit" of combat.
>>
>>49671875
>even if i bought your premise that 'elite' men are better at those things than 'elite' women (which i don't)
Then you're an ideological idiot who isn't worth talking to. Bye.
>>
>>49671884
>massive column on your character sheet listing out of combat skills
>classes and race determine social position and occupation as much as anything else
>flaws, traits, bonds, alignment
>inspiration
>equipment with out of combat utility
>tonnes of spells with out of combat utility
>not to mention whatever interaction and problem solving any good adventure has you do as part of it
what else do you need for non-combat gameplay? anything more and it would get bogged down
>>
>>49671824
How about most modern RPGs, such as the aforementioned ST system, FFG's Star Wars gameline, generic systems like GURPS, JRPGs like DoubleCross, Eclipse Phase, 40k RPGs, and many more, which provide mechanics and rewards for doing things outside of combat? Seriously, D&D is absolute garbage.
>>
>>49671926
>shutting down a conversation because someone disagrees with you
>i'm the ideological one
ok dude
>>
>>49671483
>3/5 of my group.
>not simplifying your fractions

Man, I just ate 800/1000 parts of a pizza today.

That's how you sound. 3/6 is 1/2, which is half.

If you wanted to say "3 people out of six people" to use the exact size of your group as part of your argument, just say "Out of the six people that play with me, 3 are women." The way you phrased is poorly conceived. Have a good day.
>>
File: 1464720181339.png (812KB, 730x835px) Image search: [Google]
1464720181339.png
812KB, 730x835px
>>49671926
>literal muh redpill shitter
>calling anyone else an ideological idiot
>>
>>49671483
>not playing with a mixed group you're missing out
Not really. You can have as much fun with all males as you can females. Or whites versus Blacks for that matter. It's about skills.
>Diverse range of opinions
They aren't playing in character if there already isn't a diverse range of opinions
>and approaches
Not very skilled if they can't come up with approaches
>stops it being a circlejerk
It's already a circlejerk of insert power fantasies and escapism.
>Rpgs are tragically wasted on socially awkward men that unfortunately dominate the hobby
Not at all. They are often the most willing to embrace a new role and escape their old one, making fantastic players.
>I'm not one for gender stereotyping, but
Nice try, but you're not covering your ass.
>telling stories and simulating social interactions is feminine
Are you implying that all fiction writing is feminine, by default?

>>49671656
>One girl in my group is amazing
>Therefor all are
Riiiight.

>>49671717
Playing with women is no different from playing with men, provided the woman has the proper skill set.

>>49671875
>far better at cooking
Best chefs are often male. Gordon Ramsey, Wolfgang Puck, Anthony Bourdain. Just to name a few.
>Fashion
Don't men own fashion industries, too? And aren't they successful? Women may wear more clothes, but if the male designs them, aren't males more fashionable?
> Hairdressing
Source?
> Looking like a woman
How is that a relevant skill to the conversation?

>>49670219
>Complex numbers
Howdy friend, would you like to play GURPs for a bit?
>>
>>49671965
3/6 people is more efficient
>>
>>49671933
>heh why do you need mechanics for things
>using race/class/alignment as a defense of D&D
Wew fucking lad you are a lost cause kiddo.
>>
>>49672004
>Best chefs are often male. Gordon Ramsey, Wolfgang Puck, Anthony Bourdain
did you actually read my post?
i am serious
did you read it?
because it looks like you didn't
>>
>>49672004
>GURPS is complex meme
Literally just 3d6 you fucking mongoloids.
>>
>>49671884
>no out of combat skills
>no out of combat abilities
>no out of combat spells
>classes never enhance anything related to being out of combat

How does a rogue progressing in stealth, lock picking and appraise not non-combat gameplay?

A bard who focuses and progresses in social interactions and disguises. Totally completely combat orientated.

A druid who talks to animals and has a focus on scrying? Obviously only combat orientated.

A lot of classes, their main combat progression is Base Attack Bonus. However Skills progress at the same time.

Only one of my last 5 Pathfinder sessions had ANY combat. The rest was RP shit with very little actual rolling.

Shit argument is shit and you sound like you had a bad DM
>>
>>49672004
>One girl in my group is amazing
>Therefor all are
>Riiiight.

I am not saying all women are great. But I AM saying that not all women are shit like >>49670477 is
>>
>>49672008
3/6 people is acceptable. 3/6 of my group sounds complicated. People is a countable unit, while group is a collective.

It's like say 3/6 of my cocaine is pure. It's easier to say 1/2 or half and means the same.

But if you said 3/6 of my cocaine bricks are pure, then you are also saying how many cocaine bricks you have. Because bricks of cocaine are countable.
>>
>>49672097
group implies people in that context
3/6 of the people in my group is longer and thus less efficient
3/6 of my group is therefore the optimal phrasing
>>
>>49672218
That's completely wrong you stupid fuck
>>
>>49670086
It's possible that you're trying not to fall into the DM's girlfriend trap and overcorrecting. Ask one of the players if you can switch for a session and see if she does better when you're not DMing.

If that's not the case, the problem might be her character.

>>49671965
I instantly understood what he meant, because I'm not a pedantic shit.
>>
File: ware.png (2MB, 1473x1661px) Image search: [Google]
ware.png
2MB, 1473x1661px
>>49670086
>Still has six words.

But I almost feel like Burlew is doing a homage to Chris Ware here.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.