[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to run a dungeon crawl, but I cannot decide if it should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Entrance_web.jpg (251KB, 800x684px) Image search: [Google]
Entrance_web.jpg
251KB, 800x684px
I want to run a dungeon crawl, but I cannot decide if it should be somewhat goofy or super serious. There's tricks, traps, and monsters for both, but I'm afraid that cross-contaminating the two would just make things bad. Which one should I go for?
>>
Dungeon crawls are boring as all hell and have no place in a realistic adventure. This isn't 1984 anymore. Learn to GM a real campaign, not something where you have to restrict players to glorified room-clearing.
>>
>>49658612
Thank you for your opinion, but that doesn't really answer my question. Could you read my post again please? I'm afraid you've misunderstood something.
>>
Only two kinds of dungeon crawl in my setting:

Either it is a magical dungeon set up by a necromage to harvest the souls of greedy adventurers bent on loot.

Or as an intro sequence to a campaign; the whole "you are imprisoned in the BBEG dungeon, and can't escape unless you work together"
>>
I'd go for goofy. Dungeon crawling can get stale like the other guy said, so having something to laugh at would keep me interested. Personally, I haven't experienced dungeon crawling before, so I can't imagine how a serious game would be executed well - like how much scope can a story have when it's based in a series of stone-lined rooms? But I'm much more a fan of the funny anyway.

If you have a story in mind, maybe add bits in sporadically in contrast to the goofy stuff to make it seem even more serious. But if you do that, you've got to make sure you describe it well to your players. They'll need all the grisly details to not make jokes about it, like they would be used to.
>>
>>49658561
Fuck purism. Mix 'em.
>>
>>49658561
Fags over there have no idea about dungeon crawling, so visit /osrg/, you'll get better responses. As a short answer: play it straight, players will make it goofy if they feel like it. It's more about whether aesthetic is gonzo (and dungeons really benefit from gonzo) or something more narrow thematically, where it's easier to go for the serious tone.
>>
>>49658744
>Dungeon crawling can get stale
>Personally, I haven't experienced dungeon crawling before
Well now.
>>
>>49658916
Yeah, top kek.
>>
>>49658679

I did read your post. I am saying you should go for neither one. Stop purposely misrepresenting what I said.

>>49658894

OSR is the equivalent of driving a Model T around because you're too lazy to buy a new car.
>>
>>49658947
I'm not misinterpreting. I just think that you misunderstood the OP. Because I wasn't asking about whether dungeon crawls were boring or not, or whether they are considered "real campaigns." I do not really care about your opinions on those subjects, because it wasn't what I was asking.
>>
>>49658612
>stop liking what I don't like
>>
>>49658744
Through the Looking Glass or Castle Greyhawk arw good for goofy.

But I'd go for serious, Lamentations of the Flame Princess style
>>
>>49658561
Goofy all the way. The ridiculousness of dungeon crawls is prime fodder for a goofy game. Silly magic/cursed items. Progressively more outrageous Mimics. A Sphinx that, rather than asking a riddle, uses terrible dad-jokes.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.