[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm running an Eldritch horror campaign, I know how much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: mother_kos_by_mebuu-d9k3ezp.png (778KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
mother_kos_by_mebuu-d9k3ezp.png
778KB, 1000x1500px
I'm running an Eldritch horror campaign, I know how much you guys think it's over done but, that's not what I wanted advice on. I'm trying to determine what the feel of the other worldly creatures should be.

Should I go for the normal sort of unfathomable abominations for the party to want to rip and tear, or more angelic yet unsettling aliens?

Art of either would be helpful.
>>
File: 1416221322250.jpg (143KB, 1000x660px) Image search: [Google]
1416221322250.jpg
143KB, 1000x660px
>>49656379
Try something new with it. Imply, if it isn't going to hurt the setting, that this world/reality is actually JUST outside the reach of Old Ones and the like, but it's still close enough that they can constantly dip their fingers in to try to gain influence through dreams and star whispers, and by gifting ideas for technology.

So the entire setting can be one where the old ones can only speak/act/see through agents in the waking world who willingly give themselves over to them, driving a lot of intrigue into the Dreamlands and the cult side of things, meaning mostly all enemies will be very strange kinds of humans who are mad/possessed, or things from the Dreamlands.
>>
> Group of friends started D&Ding recently
> Never played or DMed anything but have browsed tg for a few years
> They're about to finish mines of phandelver
> Want to do a short horror campaign for halloween
Any good simple horror systems?
>>
>>49656604

Don't Rest Your Head
>>
If your players aren't the eldritch horrors by the end of the campaign, you've missed out on something great.
>>
>>49656629
>Implying they were not the eldritch beasts the whole time.
>>
>>49656379
Use contradictory terms when describing them
>azor sharp silky wings
>slimy, bony tendrils
if the description is clear but difficult to imagine existing you've done it right
>>
File: 1317448359568.png (18KB, 642x482px) Image search: [Google]
1317448359568.png
18KB, 642x482px
>>49656801
If it's a type game, you can always try a semi-subtle trick of only ever describing horrors in a particular style or cadence. Like, regardless of what's being described, try to do it in the same general way.
>>
>>49656604
>Any good simple horror systems?
Ten candles is good for a one shot.
>>
>>49656604
the usual recommendation is Dread
>>
>>49656379
What do they do in your game? Where do they come from?

If your players are interacting with them often enough to really get a handle on what they look like, they'll lose some awe no matter what.

It may be more helpful to figure out what sort of mayhem they cause in our world... endless gore? Psychic trauma that turns people mad? Discarded artifacts and materials that are just simple tools or waste to them, but utterly violate our reality?
>>
>>49656604
And to round off the collection:

Dead of Night

Wonderful one shot system for horror movie plots. Survival points go for everything, health, sanity, meta, pvp, it gets brutal in the end.
>>
>>49656625
>>49657425
>>49657649
>>49658105
Thanks dudes.

If I'm feeling especially brave, is there any system that does ghostbusters well? Maybe if the darker side of things was more of a focus instead of humor all the time.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.