[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ OSR General - Arcane Trinkets Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 81

File: Ogre_Sorcery_Research.png (3KB, 300x210px) Image search: [Google]
Ogre_Sorcery_Research.png
3KB, 300x210px
>Troves
Down again. Looking into solutions.

>Links
http://pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC

>Discord Server
https://discord.gg/qaku8y9

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Webtools - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Previous thread:
>>49598574

THREAD QUESTION
>What are your favorite non-combat magic items?
>>
>>49654111
I haven't read it so I can't speak to it's quality.
>>
>>49655037
I have. It's fucking quality man.
>>
>>49654969

For your science fantasy needs, some of the Numenera cyphers and artifacts are breddy good and it takes no effort to convert them.

>Reality Spike: once activated, the spike does not move—ever—even if activated in midair. A Might action will dislodge the spike, but then it is ruined.

>Spatial Warp: when affixed to another numenera device that affects a single target at range, that range is increased to 1 mile (1.6 km) with no penalties. Space is temporarily warped in terms of seeing and reaching the target. If direct line of sight is important to the device’s effect, it remains important.

>Filtration Straw: water that passes through this tube is purified. Most liquids other than water drawn through the tube come out as water (or mostly water).

>Instant Bridge: a handheld device with a few controls. This device fires a cable with a powerful magnet in long range. When the magnet strikes a metal surface, it affixes itself, and the taut cable extends into a narrow bridge about 3 feet (0.9 m) wide. The device can then be affixed to another metallic surface to anchor the bridge. When deactivated, the magnets let go and the cable retracts.
>>
>>49655476
>Reality Spike: once activated, the spike does not move—ever—even if activated in midair. A Might action will dislodge the spike, but then it is ruined.

So, it's a sci-fi flavored Immovable Rod with the serial numbers filed off? I like it.
>>
>>49655632
Yeah, pretty much. Easier to break though and I like the name more.
>>
>>49654969
>What are your favorite non-combat magic items?
Bag of currency converting.
>>
File: Druids.png (2MB, 589x8828px) Image search: [Google]
Druids.png
2MB, 589x8828px
I love this thing. Just wanted to share it.
>>
File: 1.892884506.jpg (27KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
1.892884506.jpg
27KB, 500x320px
>>49655632
Speaking of immovable rod. I really like it as a general purpose item that can be applied to a bunch of different situations; however, is there a nice drawback you can give it to make it even more interesting as a magic item?

I was thinking maybe it would have a timer, so when you active it doesn't deactivate until after maybe 10 minutes.

That drawback doesn't really have all that much flair, though. Is there a better one?
>>
>>49656413
How about having the timer the other way. The longer it is activated the more it starts to make a bunch of noise, gets hot and wears itself to the point where it breaks irreparably.
>>
Are we still on track for getting Perdition cleaned up and posted whenever the Trove is back online?
>>
File: nice and vertical.jpg (201KB, 1024x1600px) Image search: [Google]
nice and vertical.jpg
201KB, 1024x1600px
>>49654969
The God That Crawls is choke full of good non-combat magic items.

Here's Trove 6.0. If you don't know what to do with this, you're about to do some lurking until I figure something else out: aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56LyNGITl4SXkwYnJUIUxRd3NsakJIWExxU2RqSmNfdXcxMUE=

>>49656413
Maybe activating it right after turning it off has a chance of freezing you along with it.
>>
>>49656273
That's a nice spin on Druids. Recently a convert to the idea that it's good to take old tired staples of the genre and try to remix them into something fresh. This is a nice example of that.
>>
>>49656471
Not really, I don't have the time. Maybe I'll contact some cleaners but right now not getting nuked is a priority anyway.
>>
I got two new players recently, and they're cool, so I'm thinking of keeping them in my regular pool, but I'm a bit worried : they love the pacing/ruling/simplicity/openness of my OD&D game, as they're used to Pathfinder, but they can't quite see the fun in bathos/letting the dice fall where they may. Basically, I never fudge, and the game is very dangerous until you learn how to deal with things with the old-school mindset (that's why the veteran players of my group all survive under normal dungeoneering conditions), but I think they're not too keen on "learning" (I'm sorry, this sounds far more pretentious than I'd like it to be) how to play. I noticed it's never an issue with complete newbies (who never played before), it only gets problematic with people who have already a set of expectations based on their experience with games like Vampire or D&D 3.X in which character death and gygaxian naturalism isn't expected and even pushed away for the sake of the story, whereas (IMO) the story is a result of the events of play in OSR games, in which things happen due to causality or the simulated randomness of nature (that's random tables and the such).

Assuming they don't get discouraged, how can I help them get into the proper mindset to improve their survival chances, and enjoyment? (they usually get very bothered when desperate/unfair situations happen, even when they're not unfair by my standards of those of the vets)
>>
File: Nymphs.png (269KB, 561x4633px) Image search: [Google]
Nymphs.png
269KB, 561x4633px
>>49656502
Here's another one from Goblinpunch, I hope you like it.
>>
>>49656485
I fucking know what that spoiler is supposed to be but I don't know how to figure out how to use
>>
>>49656567
I think a good way would be to let these new players get a go at playing a lethal session with low investment characters with all the cards on the table. Just straight up tell them that stuff will be crazy deadly, and then hit them with something like the Tower of the Stargazer entrance door that has a snake handle and a door knocker, and the snake handle fucking bites you to death if you try it. That way they get a sense of how to expect death and work around it, on a more real level?

>>49656583
FUCK! I just read goblin punch's negative-economy-orcs that trade in debts of people to murder (I will give you a weeks worth of meat and bread if you take over my debt of killing 12 elves). Should've know this was him(her?).
>>
>>49654969
I've seen some interesting magic stuff posted around tg and reddit recently.

>Coin of Day & Night
A coin, that when flip casts either Light or Darkness (or system equivalents) depending on the face that shows.

>Bag of One Platinum Coin (or gold or gem or whatever)
When you open this very small coin purse it has a Platinum coin in it. The coin is real by all accounts, however whenever you pull it out, the previous platinum coin pull from the bag vanishes. The coin can handle minor damage such as being bent or small scratches, but being subject severe damage such as being clipped or temperatures extreme enough to melt the coin will cause the coin to vanish and reappear in the bag.

>Beaded Bracelet of Shifting
An old looking bracelet with wooden beads of ghostly heads, worn around the wrist. As a action, the wearer may spend one charge to swap an item in their hand with the position of another item within 40 feet of them that they can see. Items transferred this way cannot be an item being worn by another creature, and must weigh no more than 5 pounds. The bracelet has a maximum of three charges, and regains one charge each sunrise.
>>
>>49656567
I hear you. Yes, unlearning the old habits is difficult. Usually it just takes time. Don't compromise anything, be very upfront and make everything as clear as possible. Maybe make some off-hand suggestions on how to proceed in difficult places. Basically treat them as newbies, they're pretty much on a learning curve right now.
>>
>>49656639
Well, the first sessions have been Wilderness HexCrawl which haven't ended up in a TPK yet, but there's been maybe, 4 dead PCs and about 12 retainers dead, in 4 sessions. Except the Ogre Ambush, all death could have been prevented by more caution (or, for the case of running at an armed band of goblins, by not running toward, and running from instead). And I still think that those Ogres could have been bargained with, since their reaction roll was pretty decent and the PCs had gold or food in quantity to trade/offer.
I remember using Tower of the Stargazer as the intro adventure for a couple of non-gamers who absolutely loved it and got hooked on RPGs afterward, and they never had a problem with character death, but it seems the more characters player A loses, the less he enjoys the game. Player B is very anxious at the idea, but hasn't lost a character yet, his halfling monk is still up and kicking despite flirting with death once in a while for the last sessions.

Can you link the article on negative economy? I missed that and absolutely love Goblin's take on orcs.
>>
File: kind of hell.jpg (372KB, 854x859px) Image search: [Google]
kind of hell.jpg
372KB, 854x859px
>>49656584
Sorry, that's the way it is for now. Good luck with figuring it out. If everything is okay for a few days, I'll do something else.
>>
>>49656707
That's what I try to do yes, to an extent. But they're far more sensitive about that than regular newbies, and I don't want to come out as patronizing because that would give them a bad experience out of something that I wouldn't like them to miss out, since they're cool players and I need more cool players. (last group broke down because we allowed bad players to stay and take their marks). I'll try to make that come out more in the next games though, with subtlety.

I'm probably going to start an Into the Odd game (or a Cowboy Bebop SWN game with my high-school house-rule of starting PCs at 3rd level and being dead at -10, something which might suit all my players without compromising my need for not fudging -that I won't compromise on-)
>>
>>49656803
That's a good idea, go with it.
>>
File: Trignac_Invisible_9.jpg (48KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
Trignac_Invisible_9.jpg
48KB, 500x363px
Thanks.
>>
>>49656725
Oh, its from the same article. Or rather, it's from "God hates orcs". The idea that you have to keep the murdering going or else the gods grow bored and scorch the earth, and as a consequence you end up getting debts of murdering when someone cannot uphold their killing-ratio and someone else can have some murdering to spare but needs some other thing (like food or goods).
>>
>>49656725
Maybe have a talk with player A and player B in terms of how they would want things to change? Or ask them what part of crazy lethal stuff they liked and what parts they didn't. Maybe you need to be more clear when things are likely to murder their characters? Maybe you need to give players a last out so that they feel like they have more of a chance to bail out when things get though? Something like that. Have you gotten any feedback from players A and B?
>>
>>49656485
>Maybe activating it right after turning it off has a chance of freezing you along with it.
I like that idea, it's pretty simple yet can lead to some horrific situations if you use the rod in a tight and stressful situation (like running away from a monster).

Could make it a save roll, too. To really make it feel like it's a risk to use it (with save rolls usually being really bad stuff).
>>
>>49654969
>Webtools - Help contribute by suggesting more.
Abulafia: http://www.random-generator.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
>>
>>49654969
Wizardawn: http://wizardawn.and-mag.com/tool_world.php
>>
>>49656725
There's not much you can do but wait and see if they figure it out.

Unless you want to change the game (for example, by giving the whole table "fate points" or something to convert a death blow into a KO). You'd know better than us how your veteran players would receive that.

You could offer new players who are accustomed to "balanced encounters" about a notecard's worth of tips to get them in the mindset.

>at some point, some of your characters will get killed
>you gain most of your XP from capturing treasure, not from killing monsters
>there will be times when you must run from a fight or die
>your survival depends less on the numbers on your sheet, and more on your creativity in dealing with the adventure environment
>>
>>49657015
I usually try to remember hack & slash's creed which is "there are no foolish player actions, only foolish referees", as in, when a player says something that strikes you as foolish, it's probably because he doesn't have the same vision as you (omniscient god) have, so I always clarify and ask for confirmations and say "there might be X and Y consequences", with all my players. So like, when intelligent monsters were met for the first time, I reminded people that they could talk to them, or that they could use alignment tongues to parley with a ton of creatures, et cetera.

After every single session, everyone, DM included, states a few things they liked and a few things they disliked in the session, which helps everyone improve. I've been doing this for years and it's pretty useful, I think it comes from an improv class or something like that.

I distinctly remember Player A saying (translation) "It's all cool and fun, but it's super hard and lethal and the fun of having a cool character living a story is kinda robbed for me when they can die for no reason"; I answered by reminding him that there's no story in this style of game, that it's emergent and that we play to see what happens, meaning sometimes things go bad too. He wasn't very convinced though. Player B is also a DM, and is interested in seeing how things work since they're very different from what he's used to, but both don't see fun in losing. Maybe I'm crazy and no sane player has fun when things go bad for them, but when I play I know I might very well die a horrible death and go "oh, that was cool" (the same way I go "oh, that was cool" when someone decapitates the orc chief).

There's also one thing I'm having trouble understanding : at some point, Player B saw a curiosity-based hazard coming (creepy sounds from a trapdoor) and decided to go investigated while saying OOC "I know it's a trap but that's what my character would do". He took the risk, but then was put off by the results-
>>
>>49657188
-he basically found a spider-ghost lady and got himself poisoned and paralysed. He was very unhappy with that turn of events, despite being entirely responsible for it, and felt it as bad DMing because in his regular games, that would have been a DM hint of "please go investigate this thing I set here" and it felt weird to him that it'd end up in a too-dangerous-for-him situation.

>>49657154
Fate points are off the table, but death at -10hp and 3rd level start is ok with me and the veterans (we have also played story games and the likes, not only OSR and old-school games). I find myself constantly reminding the two new guys about how monsters aren't worth much XP, that there is no game balance or fairness or fudging in my game, and that they aren't limited to their charsheets, and I am hoping their habits and expectations will mutate with time.
>>
>>49657188
Losing isn't ever really fun, but the fact that it's a possibility makes success sweeter. And if you're in the mindset that mortality is possible, you don't get as attached to characters until they've proven some durability.

Part of the draw of Pathfinder is the very fact that your character is a sort of barbie doll that you build and customize over many sessions. If you kill off a PF character too easily, it ruins the whole character building minigame that everyone is playing in their head.

That said, save or die has never been an attractive gameplay feature to me, and I try to excise it whenever possible (usually replacing it with save-or-suck, or a deadly curse that takes a while to play out).
>>
>>49657117
>>49657146
Added to the list!
>>
File: death checks.png (84KB, 1049x803px) Image search: [Google]
death checks.png
84KB, 1049x803px
>>49657252
>Fate points are off the table, but death at -10hp and 3rd level start is ok with me and the veterans
What about some sort of death check? That's less certain and a lot scary than having a fate point that you know can save you.
>>
>>49657333
I don't have beef with Save or Die, but I'm pretty sure there's a time and place for it. As in, you don't "just die" out of nowhere in my games. If you have to make a save, you had some kind of hint there was a danger before. For exemple, before entering a laser-beam-shooting red orb filled room in a dungeon, I told the closest player "hey, you see scorched marks on the floor right at the entrance of the room". Later on, I casually mentioned a rat munching on a leather boot before the players entered a zone with razor-wires that could cut them in half. That kind of things.

And yeah, there's the old saying that the first few levels of a character are his background, and that they only really become relevent around level 4-5, when death isn't as close as it is in the early levels.

Slow death can be much more interesting than instant death, that said : a poison that *might* kill you in the next turn means the players are going to be thinking hard and fast about whether or not using that antidote on you. I like those kinds of dilemmas (plus, if there's a sense of urgency, they don't even need to be in danger themselves, only an opportunity that interests them).
>>
>>49657440
The current rules are simplified SWN (no skills, ascending AC, single saving throw, so some kind of od&d-light) with a death roll at 0hp : 1-2 means death, 3-4 means dying unless saved by his buddies (no explicit time limit, but that would be around one turn maximum) and 5-6 is a lucky wound where you're just uncounscious and not at risk. Most of my humanoids take prisoners and are willing to parley.
>>
>>49657475
I'm also toying with the idea of having the OD&D constitution "survival %" thing be used when reaching 0HP : a 13+ CON character doesn't die from the last blow, he's only out of the fight. Lesser CON means a d100 roll to see if you survive the "killing blow".
>>
>>49657375
Woops, I didn't give a general link for some reason: http://wizardawn.and-mag.com/

There's actually tons of generators, dungeons, world maps, random treasure and whatnot. Even some small games and rules variations.
>>
>>49657475
Maybe just eliminate the death component? So 1-3 dying unless saved, 4-6 lucky wound. Death occurs at -10 hp (or maybe you get a roll here too with 1-3 dead, 4-6 dying unless saved).

You could also treat 0 hp as merely the point of general incapacitation (if you wanted to roll: 1-2 battered: can still limp around and even fight, but have a 50% chance to fail most actions, 3-4 awake and can crawl and maybe perform simple actions, 5-6 unconcious) with -10 hp forcing the kind of death roll you described.
>>
>>49657538
I'm not a big fan of this. Your constitution already affects your hit points, so a guy with a higher constitution that is brought to 0 hp has already suffered more grievous wounds. The bonus from constitution shouldn't be compounded. If you want to make it some sort of "spirit" thing (maybe with wisdom as the basis), then that seems less objectionable.
>>
File: 15671082_44128.jpg (186KB, 890x1266px) Image search: [Google]
15671082_44128.jpg
186KB, 890x1266px
Is Dungeon Meshi OSR?

A culinary-exploration campaign running on a digestive chronometer sounds decent.
>>
>>49656485
>>49656747
well fuck you too asshole, no point in even having a trove if we can't even access it
>>
>>49658853
Glad to see appreciation. I mean, it's not like there are constant takedowns and it's not like I'm the only one trying to keep our trove afloat currently so I'm taking precautions just to fuck with people here, yeah,

Here's a clue:

b@
se64

Take it to some other threads, if you can't figure it out.
>>
>>49659083
Don't listen to that cunt. Thanks for what you do. There's a lot of shit in the trove that's otherwise impossible to find anywhere at any price.

>reminder that many OSR writers probably browse /tg/ and see their work getting shared for free, directly cutting into their rent money
It's amazing we had easy access to a trove for as long as we did.
>>
>>49659156
Yeah, pretty amazing. But people do seem to buy stuff after getting familiar with the content. I wouldn't have bought some stuff otherwise, cause I'm a cheap eurofag.

Anyway, it's not that hard to get this cypher. I got the same clue when I first encountered it.
>>
>>49659083
>>49659255
I'll admit I was kinda lost as well in how to use that info(have never dealt with that sort of thing before), thanks for the clue though, that allowed me to figure it out pretty quickly(helps that people have made translators for it), hopefully this version of the trove will stay alive longer
>>
>>49659255
I agree, I've bought several products I wouldn't have even known about if not for the trove (in some cases, a shelf copy and a table copy).

Then again, if I were an author of one of these books, I'd have a hard time justifying NOT hitting the trove with a DMCA.
>>
File: 0awgt2I.gif (624KB, 307x540px) Image search: [Google]
0awgt2I.gif
624KB, 307x540px
So what would you folks recommend for post apocalyse stuff? Is Mutant Future generally considered the go to? Anyone run anything with Ruinations of the Dust Princess?
>>
>>49658434
I feel there's a lot of things that can be stolen from it, especially in regards to dungeon creature behaviours.

Everything is very well thought-through, like creatures having certain "tells" when they're about to use a special attack, various signs of a critter's presence, and the fact that knowledge about monsters is very valuable. I think it's important not to be tight-fisted with information in OSR play - and I mean "information" in a very broad sense; as in distinct patterns and intentional repetitions that players can pick up on.
>>
>>49659781
I don't know shit, but look up Other Dust. It's by Crawford, based on SWN, re-tooled for postap.
>>
>>49659781
there's also Mutant Crawl Classics, although that one isn't out yet
>>
>>49656649
>Wendal’s Thorn Blossom Seeds
A small brown cloth bag holds 4 magic seeds. When this seeds come in contact with soil they explode into a mess of vines and grasping weeds covered in flowers as per the Entangle spell (or system equivalent). This spell does not require concentration, and lasts for 1 minute. As an action the user may throw one seed up to 30 feet away.

>Clockwork Frog of Archives
Can record up to X hours of voice activated speech, and play it back.

>Grimbear the Goliath’s Warhorn
A signalling horn that can be heard 600 feet away. When directed at an creature it can blow them back 10 feet.
>>
File: kara.tur.map.fourth.to.last.png (5MB, 2281x1526px) Image search: [Google]
kara.tur.map.fourth.to.last.png
5MB, 2281x1526px
Here's the fourth Kara-Tur map from the boxed set.
>>
File: 1471231801411.png (115KB, 623x218px) Image search: [Google]
1471231801411.png
115KB, 623x218px
Does anyone know where one can prepare a pdf? I have some stuff for my OSR game kinda ready but I'm wanting to get insight and see if they are decent or I should work on them some more.
>>
>>49661937
Google docs and most text programs have an option to Save As or Export a .pdf file. Professional pdf edit quality or not you should definitely share and playtest your game. Also consider a foreword or preface, to explain how your game isn't like the other game.
>>
>>49661937
Adobe InCopy for the copywriting with elementary layout, Adobe InDesign for the layout.
>>
>>49656485
You really are the best of us, trove-cleaning-anon
>>
>>49661937
Pageplus is a good (and cheaper) alternative to Indesign, if you're looking to go legit with your software.
For free, there's Scribus
>>
>>49661937

I'm >>49661988 and i want to be clear
>>49662011
>>49662119
are both correct if you want to format it for legit publishing. however i think if you want to just playtest it and get it Out In The World then learning how to use these programs isn't a prime necessity
>>
Looking for some solid Post-Apoc OSR recs.
>>
So I have in some houserules, a restatement of some dungeon exploration rules from basic. What do you folks think of these houserules? In particular, I've changed things to tracking rooms and actions rather than specifically time. The abstraction has helped cut down on arguments at my table over whether something takes 8 or if it takes 12 minutes.

>>49661937
Most text programs have a print to pdf option while generally being better at formatting things than pdf programs are. The main things you'll lack with text programs are easy tools for bookmarking and linking within your text.
>>
>>49662390
A few zines have a post magical apocalypse theme. Metal Gods Of Ur-Hadad and Crawling Under A Broken Moon have some cool stuff to pick through.
>>
>>49656583
but anon, why not post a link?

(4chan doesn't see blogspot.co.nz links, if that's the problem)
>>
>>49654969
>>49656649
>>49661098

>Glass Eye Ring of Xon the Goblin King
A large gaudy ring with a glass eye set in it. The glass eye can be removed and set by hand easily. Should bearer of the ring close their eyes they can see through the glass eye as if it were their own.

>Moon Weapon
This weapon is treated as a +1 weapon after sunset and before sunrise. It is also silver.

>The Tyrant King’s Salt Shaker
This salt shaker is plain and made of glass, but the contents have been enchanted to turn a bright pink if sprinkled over food or drink that contains poison or is rotten. It also tastes very good. X uses.
>>
File: kara-tur.islands.png (4MB, 2282x1517px) Image search: [Google]
kara-tur.islands.png
4MB, 2282x1517px
Kara-Tur map of the Islands of Wa and Kozakura.
>>
File: dalelands.the.png (7MB, 2255x1526px) Image search: [Google]
dalelands.the.png
7MB, 2255x1526px
Item Code: #9392 (FRS1)
Title: The Dalelands
Type: Accessory
Author: L. Richard Baker III
Published: 1993
Format: 64-page book w/cover, fold-out map

1 inch = 15 mile scale map of The Dalelands
>>
>>49654969
>>49656649
>>49661098
>>49662783

Last magic items of my hoard.

>Stinaveer’s Glass Mask
This facial mask is made of transparent glass with swirling blue streaks like a marble. The wearer of this mask can cast the Disguise Self spell (or system equivalent) as if it were a cantrip (or system equivalent), however the effects only apply to the wearer’s face.

>Inspector’s Special Spectacles
The wearer may to see the footprints or tracks of anything that moved through the observed area within the past 12 hours. Each separate trail denoted by different colors, up to a max of 6 separate colors. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
>>
I'm new, what's the differences between AD&D 1e and 2e?
>>
>>49663399
AD&D 1E has three eras: True Gygax era, up until 1983, post-Gygax era until 1985, and then 1985+ in which it starts to become 2E without the name.

David "Zeb" Cook wrote Oriental Adventures, but they put Gygax's name on it to sell. It's 2E to the bone, as he also re-organized the rules in 1989 to 2E proper. It has the first non-weapon proficiency rules, for example.

2E begins in 1989. It takes all the rules from 1E and reorganizes them, while also taking out evil things that cause suicides like demons and devils (simply renaming them). As 2E went on, these things come back slowly. Evil gods of murder and death in the Forgotten Realms begin to be reborn, and even though they're "dead" they get full rules for specialty priests in Faiths & Avatars. Every rule from 1E is also represented in 2E, with no change. There are additional rules, however, and additional campaign settings. Some rules never made the transition, like the potion miscibility tables. However, one can run these rules no problem.

The systems mix freely because they're the same systems. 2E adds many more rules and options, and it is indeed a noble pursuit to attempt to run all rules ever written for both systems at the same time, within a 2E framework. Indeed, in 1995 they dropped the "Second Edition" title and the game simply became Advanced Dungeons & Dragons once more. They're the same game, and both inform one another (however, 1E purists will likely not accept 2E rules as informing their games while 2E people will readily accept 1E information).

Some specific bits of difference are things like to-hit tables. 1E has tables to hit various armor classes, while 2E uses a linear progression for different classes. Both editions utilize "THAC0" as a shorthand, however, as monsters are assumed to have a linear to-hit probability in 1E anyway.

The 1E Dungeon Master's Guide is the definitive work for either edition, as it truly teaches one how to run the game.
>>
>>49663494
Fantastic answer, thank you.
>>
>>49663399
Far better organization in 2e (such as putting THAC0 in the PHB and not the DMG) as well as a fuck more books for character options, settings and such. However, 2e dropped Half-Orcs and Assassins as core. There are a lot of little smaller changes that I can't think of right now.
>>
File: angreden.jpg (356KB, 768x896px) Image search: [Google]
angreden.jpg
356KB, 768x896px
>>49663514
But of course. Always happy to spread the gospel of True AD&D.

Have a hand-made Monstrous Compendium format monster created by Tom Moldvay and published in Dragon Magazine #198. 2E introduced the full-page monster format, a quite enjoyable way to collect its thousands of monsters. Some 1E monsters never got the treatment, despite all the information having been published. Someday I hope to format them for 2E and add more monsters.

This guy is attempting to index all 2E monster pages online, though he's missing a few from Polyhedron Newszine and incomplete PDF scans. Fun reading.

http://lomion.de/cmm/_contents.php
>>
>>49663516
Half-Orcs come back in The Complete Book of Humanoids, and assassins come back in the Greyhawk supplement The Scarlet Brotherhood (along with monks). Since all rules in 2E are pretty much canon, it doesn't matter where they're published. A book is better than a magazine, but it's all TSR and it's all 2E.
>>
>>49663569
I specifically meant core, as in the PHB and DMG. Yes they came back later but if you didn't have the supplement then you usually couldn't play it.
>>
>>49663569
>>49663516
Enclosed please find the 2E rules for half-orc PCs, assassins, and Western monks (Eastern monk 2E rules are still Oriental Adventure monks).
>>
>>49660039
I feel like that information should almost be made obtuse. Even if you spell it out, the players still need to piece everything together and come up with a plan. That's more fun I think than being overly cryptic.

In a sense, if the players don't pick up on it and it's only in the DMs head, does it exist? (The answer I suppose is that it possibly exists)
>>
>>49663597
Half-orcs and assassins are evil and cause suicides so they couldn't be in the core rules. They had to fool religious fundamentalists but still provide players with the rules they required for a full True AD&D experience.
>>
>>49660039
In general, how would you handle those 'tells' in a game? Just give the players the +1 when they exploit those?
>>
>>49662187
>>49661937

Also of serious note, if you want people to playtest it the start of the document HAS to motivate reading the rest by informing how it's different from other games, and tell about all the cool stuff you've developed. "This game takes this niche and the important stuff for you to check out is this, this and this".

Don't forget to post it here!
>>
>>49663617
It does exist indeed, and it's going to kill you.
>>
>>49663563
That site is insane, great resource!
>>
>>49662450
I very much like those rules. Keeping track of time that way is much more elegant than minutes.

Why the landscape orientation on the document though?
>>
>>49663707
I believe it's missing the Goblin Spider from MC8 - Kara-Tur Appendix, though, since most scans about don't have it.

>>49663103
About FR16: Apparently, not even the DMsGuild official scan has the poster map.
>>
File: Ultima fresco.jpg (203KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima fresco.jpg
203KB, 1024x768px
Do any of you magnificen/tg/entlefolk have Dark Albion? Pic unrelated.

Waaah, I miss the trove
>>
File: 1475169346492.jpg (2MB, 1485x1043px) Image search: [Google]
1475169346492.jpg
2MB, 1485x1043px
>>49663680
Right now it's just the rules and even then only for the human classes. I just need to sit down and hammer it out more but I should have the "alpha stage 1 pdf" up soon.
>>
>>49663750
Thank ya. I've been sorta abstracting things like that since d&d is an excellent system but gets caught up in bullshit sometimes.
Most of my players use laptops. So landscape orientation fits better on the screen. They can just have a page fit the screen rather than having to scroll up or down.
>>
Hey guys, I'm working on a OD&D clone to play with some friends. It's very rules light and instead focuses on player interaction. I kinda want a name for posterities sake, what should I call it?
>>
File: goblin_spider.png (8MB, 2206x3027px) Image search: [Google]
goblin_spider.png
8MB, 2206x3027px
>>49663767
>>
File: dungeonmeshi3.jpg (809KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dungeonmeshi3.jpg
809KB, 750x1000px
>>49663655
I definitely feel as much as possible to move away from flat bonuses, and instead categorize stuff into several categories.

General Behaviours - general patterns of behaviours that players can learn and thus exploit
-ex. a monster is more aggressive and will always move to protect eggs first
-monsters are drawn to certain foods or substances
-monster always tries to attack from specific positions or tactics (giving the party a change to prepare counters)

Physical Tells - knowing something about a monster will tell you expected behaviour.
-A creature's eyes might change colour if it's aggressive or docile.
-Physical changes in the creature indicate an oncoming attack on the next round. Dragons might spend a round clicking their tongues to ignite the spark for their fire breath on the second round.

Confrontational Information - knowing certain pieces of information let you handle the creature in a standoff.
-Staring directly into a black bear's eyes will cause it to back off
-under this category I'd also include things like specific antivenoms or cures for monster abilities

Clear cause-and-effect relationships are important here rather than numeric bonuses.

Dungeon Meshi feels realistic not because Laius has some abstract knowledge that makes him deal a slightly higher amount of arbitrary damage to monsters - rather, there's a specific cause/effect relationship that exists that he can disrupt (ex. when they double team the cockatrice early on because the creature cannot track sense-data from both heads at the same time).
>>
>>49663767
Do the commercial PDFs that you can buy for download on various sites have it? What does "watermarked" mean anyway, does it mean I can't extract the images? The huge gap in my map is whigging me out. Here's what I've got now, at 50% size because it's too big for the board. Bloodstone + Great Glacier maps still need to go in the top / middle.
>>
>>49663804
The Trove is up, anon, just solve the little riddle. >>49656485
>>
>>49663878
>Do the commercial PDFs that you can buy for download on various sites have it?
The WotC one that you can get from DriveThru/DMsGuild/RPGNow doesn't, according to MageGuru, and I don't think you can buy any others.

DTRPG watermarks are your account name and order number as a text element on the bottom-right corner of each page of the PDF. They lock the file once the watermark is added, so you can't just delete it with Adobe Reader, which has the side-effect of stopping you from extracting any pages.
>>
>>49663904
>bottom-right
Left, even.
>>
>>49663904
So I need to buy a copy with map included and obtain some sort of scanner system. Or someone with these things could come through in a pinch like they once did with the Goblin Spider. Only time will tell. I'd like to own a copy of course, as I would like to own all TSR-printed material. Should have bought those Dragon Magazines at 80¢ per each with at least 200 unique examples from #273 back when I had the chance.
>>
File: 192215.jpg (203KB, 800x1091px) Image search: [Google]
192215.jpg
203KB, 800x1091px
The Indie Hack anyone? Looks good and the art is amazing. Looking for opinions (or a .pdf)
>>
>>49664114
Are you asking for it or asking about people's opinions? I can't do either though I plan on buying it (and many of the other "NAME" Hack games soon).
>>
>>49664187
Both. I'll get the physical book when it's out (for the art, mostly) but I want to know how it plays, I've read it's a very different beast, not a NAME-Hack at all.
>>
>>49663892
>The Trove is up, anon, just solve the little riddle
What if that asshole that keeps taking the trove down solves the riddle?
>>
>>49664437
Then a harder riddle will be made for next time, I suppose?
>>
File: 124225.png (776KB, 641x832px) Image search: [Google]
124225.png
776KB, 641x832px
Has anyone bought/read this? Is it worth getting?
>>
>>49664437
>>49664614
I think we're good this time, I put the material that got us takedowns out. This precaution exists mostly to see the dilligence of these guys and whether there's still some material we should be wary of. I'll make it open in 3-4 days.
>>
>>49663904
There are online PDF unlockers. Upload your PDF and get an editable download back. Just rename it to something innocuous before using the service
>>
Anyone have a link to the OSR open table?
>>
As someone who wants to experience Old School gaming for the first time, should I try out B/X or 1e first? Is 1e even accepted here?
>>
>>49667633

1e is fine, but B/X is far more popular. It's best to use that and just steal any bits from AD&D you like rather than try to run all of AD&D, which is pretty clunky.
>>
File: 1465153619266.jpg (136KB, 450x480px) Image search: [Google]
1465153619266.jpg
136KB, 450x480px
>>49667633
>>49667719
As someone who started on 1E, I will admit, while I love it, and still play it a alot, it is clunky. If you want to play it, I would suggest using OSRIC, because while it's still clunky, it's less so than the original books.
>>
I missed the discord server introduction. What is it about?
>>
>>49664114
Wait, what is this and how does it set itself apart from the other hacks?
>>
>>49667633
>As someone who wants to experience Old School gaming for the first time, should I try out B/X or 1e first?
B/X by a mile. It's the logical place to start, even if you ultimately intend to move on to 1e (which shouldn't be a given).

>>49667781
Labyrinth Lord's Advanced Edition Companion simplifies 1e a bit and has the added bonus of being designed to be directly compatible with the core Labyrinth Lord rules (and therefore with B/X, itself, given how closely LL sticks to B/X). But I'd still start with Basic.
>>
While we're on the subject, why do so many AD&D based games still keep dumb stuff like racial level restrictions, ten thousand ability score charts, and hyper precise explanations of Druidic hierarchies? I know that my dislike for them falls squarely in the on the "personal opinion" side of things, but I don't think that just because something was in classic core means that it's worth reprinting for a new game.
>>
File: strength bx vs ad&d.png (333KB, 781x679px) Image search: [Google]
strength bx vs ad&d.png
333KB, 781x679px
>>49668197
Racial level restrictions are common throughout OSR, not just AD&D-based stuff. I personally think that the Basic-based games have little excuse for continuing this trend, as it would be very fairly easy to just recalculate the XP requirements of the racial classes to compensate for the added abilities of demihumans witthout needing to resort to clumsy level caps. It'd be a bit trickier with AD&D though, as race and class are divided (of course, AD&D actually goes one obnoxious step further, and has your prime requisite score affect how high your level cap is).

And I vastly prefer the more streamlined and (mostly) unified ability bonuses from Basic. AD&D loves to make things more complicated than they need to be.
>>
>>49667633
Bx is a really tight and elegant game
>>
File: XP Demihuman Alt (Basic D&D).png (60KB, 616x995px) Image search: [Google]
XP Demihuman Alt (Basic D&D).png
60KB, 616x995px
>>49668427
> it would be very fairly easy to just recalculate the XP requirements of the racial classes to compensate for the added abilities of demihumans
Speaking of which, here's this thing for B/X. I like the idea of setting a cap for all classes at the highest level they can reach while still remaining *under* 900,000 XP. After all, if you let all the classes go to the same level, weaker classes that advance more quickly get screwed.

Using the less than 900,000 rule, the classes can reach these levels:
Cleric 15
Dwarf 12
Elf 10
Fighter 14
Halfling 14
Magic-User 12
Thief 15
>>
>>49667801
Being retards in two places at once. It's fun. Join. It alternates between being very animated and being dead.
>>
>>49665154
>Has anyone bought/read this? Is it worth getting?
Never heard of it. Any info?
>>
>>49668427
However, it's worth noting that if you're using B/X, the level caps are actually pretty reasonable for dwarves (12th level) and elves (10th level), putting them at about the same power level as their 14th level human peers. Only the halflings (8th level) get unceremoniously screwed.
>>
>>49668609
It's another DCC fanzine. All I know about it is on the cover basically. It costs a bit more than other zines so I'm not sure if I want to buy it before I know if it's good or not.
>>
File: Unabomber.jpg (16KB, 280x337px) Image search: [Google]
Unabomber.jpg
16KB, 280x337px
>>49656273
>>
>>49656485
Thank you based anon, you're my fucking hero
>>
Sorry if this is a FAQ, but how do the editions of Basic DnD work? Is there an equivalent for ADnD 1st and 2nd editions, or are they independent? I know there's Basic, Expert, Master books, but I thought they were for different character levels. Aren't there also different versions of some of these books? There's also something called the Rules Cyclopedia which is appparently a compendium of all the previous editions or something.
>>
>>49668581
hm, why is there the inclusion of (RAW) before Halflings? was there some dispute of how much exp they need?
>>
Anyone have the PDFs for Seven Voyages of Zylarthen?
>>
>>49668912
>It's another DCC fanzine.
>All I know about it is on the cover basically.
>It costs a bit more than other zines so I'm not sure if I want to buy it before I know if it's good or not.
Don't buy it. "It's another DCC fanzine" this says it all.
>>
File: dnd editions.png (229KB, 911x1470px) Image search: [Google]
dnd editions.png
229KB, 911x1470px
>>49669229

Holmes is basically an intro to OD&D

Moldvay/Cook is the good one.

Mentzer stretched things out to a lot more levels, made the thief much weaker, and made other sundry changes.

Rules Cyclopedia folds in all kind of stuff from the Gazetteers and stuff.
>>
>>49669297
Thanks! I thought B/X just meant Basic and I didn't know about the names. What's the Black box just above RC called?
>>
File: editions of D&D graphic.jpg (1MB, 6000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
editions of D&D graphic.jpg
1MB, 6000x3000px
>>49669229
Holmes Basic is the first edition of Basic. It only went through level 3 and so was more of a starter set than anything.

Moldvay/Cook Basic (B/X) is split into two different sets. The Basic Set is a 64-page book that covers levels 1-3. The Expert Set is a 64-page book that covers levels 4-14. They had intended to keep going, releasing at least one more set for higher levels, but decided to start over instead.

Mentzer Basic (BECMI) is closely based on Moldvay Basic, except for formatting (it has an impossible-to-reference, learn-as-you-go approach for the Basic Set, and thereafter is no longer learn-as-you-go, but still impossible to reference). It is divided into 5 different sets, each of which is comprised of 2 different books--a player's book, and a GM's book. (Except for Expert, for some reason, which only has 1 book.) The Basic and Expert sets cover the same levels as before. The Companion set covers levels 15-25, the Master set covers levels 26-36, and Immortals covers post-level, godhood sort of stuff. That's 9 fucking books in all.

The Rules Cyclopedia condenses Mentzer Basic (minus the Immortal Set, which is covered in a supplement) into a single book. It's built for reference and may be a bit less friendly to learn from (though anything beats the godawful Mentzer format).
>>
>>49669371

It's usually just Black Box D&D when I've heard anyone talk about it, which is hardly ever. It's the same revision as the RC, so it usually gets bundled in with that.
>>
>>49669371
It doesn't get referred to much as it's essentially a starter set for the RC, and so not a legitimate edition of its own. When it is mentioned, it's usually called Allston Black Box or Black Box Basic. The actual name on the box is either The New Easy-to-Master Dungeons & Dragons Game, or The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game later on. (So you can understand why folks tend to just call it Black Box Basic.)
>>
>>49669426
>>49669451
Like 5e Beginner's rules for RC?

>>49669384
Wow. So RC's basically Mentzer rearranged for easy reference?
>>
>>49669505
*Basic Rules, sorry
>>
>>49669505
>Like 5e Beginner's rules for RC?
Pretty much, though the approach is a bit different, I think. IIRC 5e's Basic Rules cover the full range of levels but leave out a decent bit of detail. Black Box D&D mostly just presents levels 1-5 in a more learning-friendly format than the reference book-style of the Rules Cyclopedia.

>Wow. So RC's basically Mentzer rearranged for easy reference?
More or less.
>>
>>49669505

Yeah, there are some small changes here and there, but it's mostly the same. RC's a good place to steal bits from for B/X.
>>
Moldvay Basic has 128 pages of material split between 2 different books.

Mentzer Basic has something like 450 pages of material split between 9 books.

The Rules Cyclopedia has about 300 pages of material in one book.
>>
File: I got in.png (6KB, 1303x75px) Image search: [Google]
I got in.png
6KB, 1303x75px
>>49656485
>>49659083

That's a pretty clever clue.
>>
>>49669384
Who thought that was a good idea.
>>
>>49669701
>Who thought that was a good idea.
Which part in specific?
>>
>>49669270
The halfling XP is unchanged from the book because it's about right. Halflings have smaller hit dice to help offset their advantages.
>>
>>49669835
>Halflings have smaller hit dice to help offset their advantages.
Smaller hit dice and smaller weapons, that is.
>>
>>49669789
Mentzer.
>>
>>49669879
You got me. If it had stuck to one book per set, like Moldvay did, it might have been a bit more manageable, even with 5 sets. I mean, Immortals is kind of its own thing, and unlikely to get confused with other stuff, which just leaves 4 sets. And the stuff in Basic is probably not going to get confused with the stuff in Master either. So maybe more books than you'd ideally want, but not a ridiculous number. But once you start subdividing every set into two books, you just have a mess. My guess is that at least some of the format is so the game could be created and released piecemeal.
>>
File: Fearsome Gods.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Fearsome Gods.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Hey, Fearsome Gods Anon is this the latest version?
>>
>>49663842
>what should I call it?
Gelatinous Cube Calibration
>>
>>49655037
Very nice random tables. I like the section on Tricks.
>>
>>49668197

>races

Not all of them do, it's just that those that copy races directly from AD&D pretty much ape the "humans only advantage is unlimited level progression" thing. BFRPG dispenses with this, and gives humans a huge advantage to offset the special abilities of the others races: A 10% XP bonus.

In the race-as-class sorts of games, you could theoretically excise the racial bonuses and make them a different class. Halfling would become Bushman, dwarf would be Myrmidon, and elf would be Battlemage.

>ability score charts

The ability score charts are definitely an AD&D thing and most OSR games are not based on AD&D (thankfully). Most that I've encountered use B/X's much more sensible ability scores, but if you want to reduce the affect ability scores have, you can use OD&D's ability score modifiers instead (which top out at +1/-1).

>classic rules elements in "new" games

Considering that none of these games are technically new, they're just B/X, OD&D, or AD&D in a new suit, they're really just keeping things that way to appeal to the people who played them in their original form.

That being said, a goodly number of OSR games do things differently. As I mentioned before, Basic Fantasy RPG has no race-as-class, doesn't have level limits on classes, and even allows a really common sense solution to multiclassing that can be extrapolated to apply across the board (rather than their classic presentation in the book).

>but why can't [x] be exactly the way I want it? Why do I have to fix [x] with house rules?

I know you didn't say this, but I'm heading it off. No game is perfect. No game is going to cater to every one of your expectations. If you wanted something with a ton of customization, with options you can turn on and off, I'd suggest GURPS.

But if you want to play OSR, pick and choose between rules you like. Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, LotFP, and Basic Fantasy all have free rules sets. Make some fusion of the various games that suits you.
>>
>>49670428
>A 10% XP bonus.

Is that really a HUGE advantage, though?
>>
>>49670508

Considering you'll level faster and have more hit dice and better saves... yes.

This is especially true if your resident elf decides he wants to multiclass, because in BFRPG, you add the two classes XP requirements together, rather than staggering the leveling like AD&D did.
>>
>>49670558
>Considering you'll level faster and have more hit dice and better saves... yes.

But not for very long, is the thing.

10% XP bonuses aren't new, you got them in earlier editions with stats, and all it meant was that Mike's character would be one level up on you for a little while every now and then.
>>
>>49669505
Yeah, it's one of the most expensive books second-hand for a reason. Many consider B/X the mechanically superior edition and for good reasons but as a single-book hardback edition of D&D, the RC retains a strong following too.

(I think a lot of people will agree as well that even if B/X is the best D&D edition, the RC is the best single D&D *product*.)
>>
>>49669505
If you want the RC but without the same price (plus some easier to read text and some houserules to streamline it) get Dark Dungeons. Same thing with some tweaks like demi humans leveling up to 36 just like other classes, easier to understand weapon mechanics, etc. Thing is cheap too.
>>
Does anyone ever get past, say, level 3 at all..? In my games PCs hardly get to level 2... How does the game even hold up all the way through to level 36?
>>
>>49669879
Uh, that's the answer. Obviously.

In all seriousness, the answer is that at that time the spread model of D&D changed drastically -- at first, the way it worked was that you'd learn to play from someone who could play, then you'd buy your own set, then eventually run a game, and so on and so forth. By the time the Moldvay and Cook edition came out, though, the Basic Sets were selling in immense (as in, bigger than entire WoD corebook sales) quantities through big mall stores and Sears. Most of these sales were as gifts to kids who'd never played before and didn't know anyone who did. At that point TSR determined through some market shenanigans or something that the game wasn't teaching 10-12-year-olds to play effectively enough on their own, and that that was a problem for maintaining their sales. They therefore told Mentzer to revamp it to be more teaching, and took the opportunity to ditch the old Otus art (which Gygax is on record as never liking much) for new, glossy Elmore art. And it seems to have worked, because Mentzer Basic sold some stupid total volume over the years it was produced, like "more than the entire sum total non-D&D roleplaying hobby to date" stupid (not necessarily literally that, though).

Obviously that almost inevitably leads to a product that's frustrating for an adult who wants a quick, terse reference book, though. (And that's actually why they originally made the Rules Cyclopedia, as a lookup work.)
>>
>>49668197
>racial level restrictions
think we can all agree that these(and to a lesser extent Class Restrictions for non-human races) are a terrible idea in Race separate from Class variations of D&D, all they do is needlessly punish players who want to be anything besides human

>>49671213
most long term games peter out somewhere between levels 8 and 15(to the point where quite a few OSR game have somewhere between levels 10 and 15 as their max level)
>>
>>49671275
Just notice that the zine Crawl 08 is basically the same as Hack! Firearms but with DCC rules. It isn't in the trove though. If anyone has it, is it very different from the Hack! version or is it basically the same?
>>
>>49672747
>>49671275
Sorry, didn't mean to link to your post. Too tired.
>>
File: kara-tur.4.page.png (3MB, 1145x1527px) Image search: [Google]
kara-tur.4.page.png
3MB, 1145x1527px
More Kara-Tur
>>
File: kara-tur.4.page.full.png (7MB, 2287x1526px) Image search: [Google]
kara-tur.4.page.full.png
7MB, 2287x1526px
>>49673711
With its additional sideways map
>>
File: horde.2.png (6MB, 2272x1536px) Image search: [Google]
horde.2.png
6MB, 2272x1536px
More from The Horde boxed set.
>>
File: horde.3.png (6MB, 2248x1532px) Image search: [Google]
horde.3.png
6MB, 2248x1532px
>>49674062
Insert below above
>>
File: horde.90.scale.combined.jpg (3MB, 2275x3039px) Image search: [Google]
horde.90.scale.combined.jpg
3MB, 2275x3039px
>>49674062
>>49674264
>>
>>49674299
Map-Anon, you're pretty cool keep it up.
>>
Why are they called the Forgotten Realms?

Who forgot about them?
>>
>>49674352
>Who forgot about them?
The real, as in our, world.
>>
>>49674446
Did we know of their existence at one point? I thought we learned about it first from Elminster.
>>
>>49674462
I don't know the lore too well but I think the idea is(was?) that the two worlds were connected at some point, then they separated and humans on earth forgot about it over time.
>>
>>49674334
I will indeed. Will have to redo everything eventually in GIMP or something so I can have transparency/layers and the ability to rotate slightly askew maps.

Slightly distressed that all the Kara-Tur maps are at 90-scale instead of 30. Might have to make a mega-map at 90-scale also. Hope to eventually be able to hyperlink the whole thing, allowing zooming to 30-scale and then 15-scale in appropriate places.
>>
>>49674462
>Did we know of their existence at one point?
Yes, our Earthly myths and fairytales about elves and dragons and shit are supposed to be mangled passed-down memories of the Realms. We just forgot they were about another world, when the connections were lost.
>>
Whatever happened to that person who was gonna upload ASE 2-3 for us?
>>
Where can I get Burning Wheel and Torchbearer?
>>
>>49675226

Maybe ask in the PDF share thread, I'm sure somebody will upload it for you.
>>
>>49674839
Killed by the conspiracy to keep ASE2-3 off the internet forever, like all the others.

Or they were lying
>>
>>49675232
They directed me herr
>>
File: tumblr_o3wdueQZtH1uzffrho1_500.jpg (76KB, 500x681px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3wdueQZtH1uzffrho1_500.jpg
76KB, 500x681px
Anyone got a decent mini-dungeon for a single night post-apocalyptic crawl for RotDP/Mutant Future etc? The more gonzo, the better.
>>
>>49675314

Well, we had Torchbearer in our Trove, but it's been getting taken down a lot.lately. I don't think Burning Wheel is in there, either.

But that's cool, I've got a whole folder of this stuff. Hang on, I'll up it for you.
>>
>>49675359
Than you anon. Was hoping to run a horror dungeon crawler like Diablo 1
>>
>>49675359
If you have lotfp that would be great.
>>
File: moonshae.combined.png (6MB, 2248x1553px) Image search: [Google]
moonshae.combined.png
6MB, 2248x1553px
Here are the Moonshaes, with the 20-scale map shrunk down and placed in the 30-scale map.
>>
File: sea.of.fallen.stars.png (2MB, 1638x1015px) Image search: [Google]
sea.of.fallen.stars.png
2MB, 1638x1015px
Underwater map of the Sea of Fallen Stars
>>
File: Skull.jpg (68KB, 331x585px) Image search: [Google]
Skull.jpg
68KB, 331x585px
So in honor of NaNoWriMo coming up, and how the trove keeps going down; I'm thinking of trying to crank out a pdf a day come November. Its gonna require a lot of foresight and prep on my part, but I do want to get to doing game material shit again. Toss it up here for free.

Anyone have any ideas for the kind of stuff they'd want? Or stuff people might like in general?
>>
>>49675226

Torchbearer
http://www102.zippyshare.com/v/RQbwz5bQ/file.html
>>
>>49675386

Here you go, Burning Wheel + Torchbearer.

http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/bZuR9ycE/file.html
>>
>>49675341
this one's pretty dope
>>
>>49675675
You could make a hexcrawl with one-page dungeon/hex write-ups a day. Focus on some key themes osrg yells, include the random tables we make every thread.
>>
>>49674352
>Who forgot about them?

Not WotC, unfortunately.
>>
>>49675675
i think themed encounter tables are cool. creature lore is popular. one sheet quests/dungeons
>>
>>49676670
The final product produced for 2E Forgotten Realms, Cloak & Dagger, suggests that Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun realized that 3E was coming and fought against his former Harper comrades to stop it from affecting the Realms. DMs are well advised to respect these events, and to assume that Khelben split the universe into two and allowed all future WotC changes to occur to a false copy of the Realms while the true Realms remained untouched.
>>
>>49676907

So kind of like what happened to Howard the Duck in Marvel comics? Neat.
>>
>>49675911
>>49675767

Thanks a bunch
>>
>>49676907
My least favorite thing about 5e is the very heavy FR focus. I thought 3e's soft Greyhawk-centric approach was much better as it didn't assume I gave a shit about 30 years worth of backstory. One of the things that drove me towards retroclones, actually. But that's not really here or there.
>>
>>49677524
yeah I don't get why WOTC has such a boner for FR, it's the most boring campaign setting D&D has ever had, Eberron or maybe an updated version of the Sundered Empire/God War area of Greyhawk would be much better
>>
>>49677619
>I don't get why WOTC has such a boner for FR

Because a very vocal section of the D&D player base has a boner for FR, and they're willing to spend the money to buy the splatbooks/novels/comics/videogames.
>>
>>49677619
It's the most bland, Elmoreish AD&D setting, of course they love that shit. Plus, wizards. Wizards everywhere. Main Wizard drinking Budweiser and smoking a pipe with his pal, Ed Greenwood.

It's the dream 5e wants.
>>
>>49677717
>Elmoreish
Hah. I think that hits the nail on the head regarding what exactly it is about FR's presentation I find so offputting. I don't dislike FR on principle, but so much about it seems like the epitome of bland, self-involved, slightly twee 80's fantasy. The kind of setting where you have elves unironically named things like Lady Althiallyn Starwillow.
>>
>>49669279
It's in the trove, under Misc. Old stuff.
>>
File: kara-tur.cities.and.closeups.png (6MB, 2304x1516px) Image search: [Google]
kara-tur.cities.and.closeups.png
6MB, 2304x1516px
Bump with some more Kara-Tur
>>
>>49678009
Eeeh, fucked it up. Moving it to rulesets, since it's modern and I don't know why I assumed that.
>>
>>49678785
Also your work is top notch, thanks mate.
>>
File: 1463293525714.png (88KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
1463293525714.png
88KB, 250x300px
Any good OSR campaign ideas set in not!the Stans?
>>
>>49681253
Slumbering Ursine Dunes is Slav flavored. Even has giant bear-men.
>>
>>49681295
You do realize the Stans are not slavic, right?
>>
File: Vladimir-Putin-014.jpg (678KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Vladimir-Putin-014.jpg
678KB, 2560x1536px
>>49681482
Not yet anyways.
>>
>>49681253
Off the top of my head:

Dusty Ziggurat in the middle of the desert hides a petrified, still-alive, dreaming Aboleth (that was there even when of immense magical talent, its dreams starting to twist and affect the surrounding area.

Its power wakes up the long dead civilization that previously entombed it, an army of skeletons and mummies, and they start to rebuild their once-great city, and conquer land that was previously theirs, exhuming many great and powerful magical tools, artifacts of their lost civilization.

Maddened cultists, their minds twisted due to the Aboleth's influence, patrol the outskirts on horseback in order to protect the ziggurat.

I 'unno.
>>
>>49677524
5e is weird because the core rulebooks really stress that they are not just FR, using examples from all different media and not even having examples of gods
and then all the accessories they do are steeped in boring Forgotten Realms bullshit
it's like the worst of both worlds - the core game feels oddly empty but the adventures are like getting in to comics
good job guys
>>
>>49681826
Well, in the 5e PHB at teh back they outline the most common planes stuff and have a listing of several settings deities as well as some "real life pantheons" converted for 5e use. In the DMG they expand on this and talk about several more settings and reintroduce the 4e core pantheon and some other things.

As far as the major focus on Forgotten Realms the reason why is that it is probably the most popular setting they have. ENworld did a survey a while back and it showed that, after homebrew settings, FR was the most played setting. And because the D&D official games thing they do at stores are set in FR, it sort of makes sense they would focus on it. Still, I think everyone agrees they need to focus on more settings. They almost started that off with Curse of Strahd, the 5e remake of Ravenloft (which I also recently ran to completion for my group) and it was good but even the intro generally assumes the players start off in FR.
>>
>>49681826
It's literally the "make mearls/enworld feel like a kid again" edition.
>>
What's some good resources for writing fun empty rooms? That is, rooms devoid of traps, monsters and treasure but not of interesting content? Hard mode: Not the pdf by hack&slash
>>
>>49682571
I don't think there's any. It's a very specific thing and quite a challenge creatively. So except based Hack&Slash, I think it's the area where every DM is on his own. Which is alright to me.
>>
>>49682571
I don't have anything, but could anyone link the hack&slash thing? Never heard of it.
>>
>>49681253
The Triumvirate of the Domed Citadel is gathering an army to pilfer holy books from all the settlements within the fertile vale. The upper echelons of the Faith are silent as to the reason they are being collected and burned in great fires, but lesser priests are using the upheaval to spread their own radical doctrines. The truth of the matter is that one of the Triumvirate's sons left open his holy book after praying and brought the Devil into the citadel. The Grand Anointed Tome must be burnt after all tomes based on its words are destroyed; less the devil escape to any open book. The original Tome of Faith is carved into stone and must be transcribed again once this deed is done.

A ghul has stolen the flame imperishable from a village elder and his daughters, turning them into heel-licking slaves. The ghul parades them around the village and controls the populace out of fear that it would do the same to them. Honor must be reclaimed, and to steal the ghul's oil lamp will allow the flame to be restored to the once noble man and his daughters. But they will always be seen as unclean if they are saved, so their worth as wives and allies is compromised.

A child with purest turquoise embedded into his forehead has found himself with the gift to heal anyone who is willing to fasten a stone of similar type to their own heads. The local leadership is fearful that this may create a cult of personality.

A vulture-woman, a bride to the grand Rukh, has taken up roost in an abandoned castle. She calls on the dusk winds for monsters and div to serve her. If her army is not routed before they roost, the grand Rukh may come to blight the region as well. And where the Rukh wings beat, hurricanes and calamity follow.
>>
File: Cragmaw Castle 2250 x 1568.jpg (942KB, 1600x1115px) Image search: [Google]
Cragmaw Castle 2250 x 1568.jpg
942KB, 1600x1115px
I dunno if this is the right spot but after reading how player mapping is an old school thing, I turn to OSRg for this.

Anyway, my players have expressed that they wanna do it old school and draw the maps themselves as I describe the place. I'm getting a hang of it in our Lost Mines game in 5eg with Redbrand Hideout but as they're nearing this castle in question, I'm wondering how do I describe the ones in red? Cause Redbrand Hideout had a lot of solid squares and rectangular rooms for me to describe easily (4 squares North-South, 5 squares east-west) but this castle has the circular battlements that overlap these grids so I'm not sure how to describe them.

Like in the picture at the above Red square, if the players enter and hope to map it, what do I do? Do I say

>The room is 30x20 but the there is a curved wall that edges around the West-most side of the room and curves along the south wall but leaving enough for some room. You're clearly in one of the round towers of the castle.

Cause I feel it might be convoluted for them to get. I really dig this kind of thing though cause they're really involved in the exploration but I feel stumped with describing castles like this one.
>>
>>49683387
Well those things in the walls are kill-slits, for arrows/crossbows to be used from. You don't walk through that, but you can fire through it with full cover.
>>
>>49683166
One of the prominent OSR bloggers, has various useful content put out for free: >>49655037
>>
Is there any good OSR material in epub format so I could read it on my e-reader?
>>
>>49683387

For the one on the upper left:

"As you enter the room, the inner wall to your right stretches 15 feet out ahead before ending.. Behind you the wall with the door in it goes a scant ten feet from the right wall to where it meets the five foot thick reinforced wall of the tower, which curves around to meet the first wall in front of you. Five feet along this outer wall is an archer's slit."
That should be enough to get a decent map. Part of the fun of this is that their maps won't be perfect. There's a chance their map could get them lost in a big complex, and that can be a great source of drama and tension.
So do your best, and let them do their best.
>>
>>49683387
Try doing it with 10' squares, really - it makes a surprisingly big difference when you're mapping stuff. 5' is a fine battlemap scale, but a bit too fine for broader work. Also, those round rooms - describe them with their radius or diameter, to help get across the shape.
>>
>>49683799
As for that top red rectangle room, specify that it's part of the round tower. Mention the way it's lopsided and the hard corner isn't at the centre of the tower. Describe the arrowslit's facing. They don't have to produce an identical battlemap - they're mapping for exploration, not a building survey.
>>
>>49683354
>>49681754
These are good ones. I'll take them and add my own little twists and quirks. Thanks!
>>
>>49682742
>>49682571

Same anon again after some research. Seems to boil down to just writing down stuff that would be curious or potentially useful to find, or something that makes the room not appear "empty".

Some potential categories:
- Room with some tactical advatange like a ledge, sturdy tables to flip, pillars to hide behind etc.
- Room that looks like it has a trap in it
- Room that looks like there's a monster in it
- Room that looks like there's treasure in it, like a fancy chest that turns out to be empty
- Room that tells something about the dungeons recent history, like droppings from a monster, a sprung trap with a dead adventurer in, a smashed set of armor etc.

Things that makes it easier to get creative. Try it for yourself, what ways could a room appear to have a monster in it when it really doesn't?
>>
>>49682571
One approach is to think about the room in terms of what meta-game purpose it fits overall in the dungeon - is this a "tarpit" room, sucking up time and raising the chances of an encounter? A tactical feature players can exploit? A room that has an interaction with something later (i.e. the room is a target of a patrol?)

The other approach is to try for a naturalistic approach - maybe the room has some sort of function (or once had a function). Maybe it's a gatehouse, or a break room. Thinking about the function - either current or long past - can help fluff out an empty room.

Another method is
>>
Anybody recruiting for games?
>>
I really want to run this for a Ruinations of the Dust Princess crawl. What changes would you make to it to give it more of a 'post-apocalyptic funhouse' than fantasy?
>>
>>49685394
Reskin everything to underground bunker, lab stuff, remnants from a hypercapitalistic society?
>>
>>49683614
>>49683799
>>49683819

These are very helpful. Thanks, anons! I never thought of the drama and tension too.
>>
>>49685214
There is an ongoing OSR game over on Roll20.
>>
>>49685952

Speaking of, how did Wednesday's game go? I wanted to be there, but stuff came up and I was gone before it started.
>>
>>49685952
https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1649454/slash-osrg-slash-open-table

Not sure if link will work right for you but give it a try.
>>
>>49685992
I might just be an idiot but that link isn't working for me.
>>
File: r20invite.jpg (199KB, 1280x690px) Image search: [Google]
r20invite.jpg
199KB, 1280x690px
>>49685992
Try this, anon.

>>49686763
Not an idiot, it's the wrong link.
>>
>>49686862
Thank you. Sorry about original link I was on my phone and in the store.
>>
Got about 45 minutes to remember which hex my party is in in World of the Lost. What do?
>>
File: ravenloft.jpg (171KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ravenloft.jpg
171KB, 1280x720px
Thinking of running I6 "Ravenloft" for Halloween for my group using 2e rules (since we have multiple copies of the 2e PHB and DMG floating around the group). How should I handle them making characters of level 5 magic users, 6 for thieves and clerics and 7 for fighters in regard to magic items? Should I allow the fighters two and the others 1? More?
>>
>>49687416
Or they in the plateau or outside?
>>
>>49687814
Outside. I'm pretty sure they're waking up in 24-R, based on their map, I haven't run the text so I think we're good.
>>
>>49687607
What kind of magic items? General purpose or +1 stat modifier items?
>>
Planning to run Tower of the Stargazer on Halloween for some 5e players in a friend's group.

Is it sufficiently spoopy? What are some other good spoopy, lethal modules?
>>
>>49688141
Not super spoopy but it has some ghosties and john carpenter flourishes
>>
File: ravenloft 2.jpg (186KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ravenloft 2.jpg
186KB, 1920x1080px
>>49688023
I was thinking of letting the fighters have +1 of either armor or a weapon, everyone else would have general purpose ones or the like. I'm unsure of how I should allocate magic items for what should basically be a one shot Halloween game at character generation.
>>
File: moon-over-my-femur1 (1).jpg (1MB, 1345x2005px) Image search: [Google]
moon-over-my-femur1 (1).jpg
1MB, 1345x2005px
>>49681253
I'm really tempted to write up a mini setting based on the Tarim Basin/Xinjiang.
It's got everything: Oasis city-states, buddhists, scimitars, red-haired mummies, lost cities, mujahideen. The works.

I'm just concerned it may end up a little too similar to Yoon-Suin. There's a lot of shared ground.
>>
>>49687607
I'd recommend using RM4 - House of Strahd instead. It's a rebalanced version of I6 for 2e.
>>
File: 15-2 - Feats.png (915KB, 1167x1654px) Image search: [Google]
15-2 - Feats.png
915KB, 1167x1654px
Looking to add combat feats to Ruinations (of the Dust Princess). Do you see anything flawed with this execution? It's pretty much a DCC Mighty Deed rip off.
>>
>>49688610
I'll check it out, thanks!
>>
>>49688780
>DCC Mighty Deed rip off.

Considering that Mighty Deeds are best thing to come out of DCC, that is not a problem at all.
>>
>>49678785
>>49679599
And useful, apparently...the bottom right map there was never incorporated into the FR Atlas software, resulting in improper geography and lots of missing cities.
>>
Here's the 30-scale map of the Heartlands from the original grey-box Campaign Setting. Comes with the 30-scale Bloodstone Lands map also.
>>
>>49690068
And the original grey box 90-scale map.
>>
>>49690565
Combined with the 90-scale Horde map
>>
>>49690949
>>49690565
>>49690068
This looks awesome! Thank you for taking the time to do this, anon.
>>
>>49691491
But of course. Was never satisfied with the CD-ROM atlas product, and now I know it missed some maps. Only way to truly know the Realms is to rebuild the true maps by hand.
>>
The Heartlands at 15-scale, combined.
>>
>>49688572
Just make up some useful one shot abilities;
-spiderman climb for a round
-dislodge your head safely with all bodily functions intact (headless horseman)
-reanimate one corpse by striking lightning into it (included in the item, frankenstein)
-grow two great devilhorns from the forehead, sturdy enough to ram things. Can tolerate more heat will transformed (time limited)

Stuff like that?
>>
>>49688780
Pretty intuitive system. What's the catch to failing the feat attack?
>>
File: the.north.encounter.chart.png (3MB, 2261x1494px) Image search: [Google]
the.north.encounter.chart.png
3MB, 2261x1494px
Here's a bonus...what many consider to be the best 2E encounter chart printed.
>>
File: STRAHD 2.jpg (40KB, 300x391px) Image search: [Google]
STRAHD 2.jpg
40KB, 300x391px
>>49691988
No, I mean I want to run Ravenloft (maybe House of Strahd now that I'm looking it over) and I just don't know how, during character generation, I should give the players magic items. The players will be starting at a higher level than just level 1 and I think some magic items and one potion of healing each should be allocated to them but I want ideas for what to give them. Should the fighter get a +1 armor or weapon while everyone else gets some other magic items (magic-users get a wand, thieves get boots of elven kind and clerics get phylactery of faithfulness, etc etc).
>>
>>49692103
Try the adventuring party generation tables in the monster books. Tables exist to equip parties of whatever level with appropriate magic items.
>>
Question for those that have played DCC RPG's level zero character funnel or anything similar: How difficult is it for players, and does it get a lot of meta gaming... meta-gaming in a sense, well this character I rolled has way better stats than the others, so I'll keep him in the back and use the others as cannon fodder, shit like that.

I'm thinking of bringing over the funnel idea to a different system and wanted to know beforehand how well it works in actual play.
>>
aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56LyNGIW93aDJWQXFDIUxRd3NsakJIWExxU2RqSmNfdXcxMUE=

Trove reset.
>>
Can someone share with me a Halforc (or monstrous races in general) class for Basic? I can't seem to find any with google, but surely there has to be some, right?
>>
>>49692202
"Half-orc b/x" gave me enough results.
>>
>>49692173
clue:
b@
$e64
>>
>>49663563
>>49663707
>>49663767
>>49663845
Here's another example of Lomion's selective sourcing. No monsters from Polyhedron Newszine graces its collection, and only some from Dragon.
>>
File: kara-tur.trail.map.rough.TM5.jpg (4MB, 2608x4059px) Image search: [Google]
kara-tur.trail.map.rough.TM5.jpg
4MB, 2608x4059px
TM5, the Kara-Tur Trail Map. Bit of a rough job.
>>
File: kara-tur.1st.combination.jpg (2MB, 2282x2898px) Image search: [Google]
kara-tur.1st.combination.jpg
2MB, 2282x2898px
Combining Ronin's Challenge map with the half-map from Kara-Tur boxed set.
>>
>>49692150
I'll check those out, thanks!
>>
What rules set has the best Thief? How are thieves handled in your games?

The default B/X Thief is just awful. I might just ditch them altogether.
>>
>>49695208
My players like the specialist from LotFP, I have one player who insists on only playing them. We call em thieves though.
>>
>>49692154
It's as meta-gamey as the usual OSR play, no more and no less.
>>
File: IMG_20161008_182121.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_182121.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Which are your basics reads as a GM for get into the appropriate OSR ethos?
>>
>>49696334
Really nice picks there with Eddison and WHH.

Here's my DM must-reads, though I wouldn't say they're OSR-specific.

William Hope Hodgson - The Night Land
Gene Wolf - The Shadow of the Torturer
Brothers Grimm - Complete Fairy Tales
Ovid - Fasti
The Nibelungenlied
Fritz Leiber- Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser ( Short stories )
>>
File: IMG_20161008_182659.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_182659.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>49696400
I had the luck to find the whole Lankhmar series. Is an essential must for anyone who needs to get the OSR mindset.
Is great you included classic of literature in your list, those always make your creative juices churn.
>>
Prepping a dungeon crawl for tomorrow, really feeling the pressure to get some of these preps and rooms done now.

Got any words of advice to chill my head? Got a prep session of your own? What're you up to /osrg/?
>>
File: IMG_20161008_185007.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_185007.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>49696451
I would like to add some oriental flavour into the recommended reads list.
>>
File: IMG_20161008_185852.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_185852.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>49696542
On behalf of Clark Ashton Smith here I post two full thematic compilations from two different spaniard editors because theres is NONE decent in english and that is a FUCKING SHAME!
>>
>>49671194
Looks like the Dark Dungeons website is down right now, but I'll take a look later, Thanks.
>>
>>49696538
I'm doing my first ever "old D&D" dungeon to run for my players. I'm pretty much just using the method for stocking dungeons from Moldvay's Basic rules and it seems easy to use and quite robust.

No clever plot or backstory, just a simple go there and bring back an artifact or rescue someone or some shit.

I found the PDF attached to the first reply of this thread quite useful too.
>>
>>49695208
OD&D LBB.

Because there isn't one.
>>
>>49695208
LotFP Specialist is probably my favorite.
>>
>>49696542
>no Monkey
That shit's wonderful episodic adventuring weirdness. The abridged translation out there has less of it, but if you get the recent longer, four volume set there's a lot of silly bullshit to steal.
>>
>>49696334
Some proper Arthurian stories, because there's at least one where Some Knights Are Wandering In The Woods, then they meet Some Fair Maidens who ask them if they Desire A Strange Adventure. They then say that yes, they do desire a Strange Adventure, and they go off and have a Strange Adventure that is not actually fucking.

Also, it sets the expectation that when two knights who really should know each other meet unexpectedly, they fail to recognise each other and get into a fight before realising they should be mates, comic book team-up style.
>>
>>49692421
Embarrassingly I was searching using "basic" instead of "b/x".
>>
File: 01 - Ruinations.png (3MB, 1167x1654px) Image search: [Google]
01 - Ruinations.png
3MB, 1167x1654px
>https://www.docdroid.net/FrxCKOl/ruinations.pdf.html

Slightly updated Ruinations (of the Dust Princess) v1.1

* Reduced the title to simply RUINATIONS.
* Added a 'Combat Feats' mechanic, stol- er, adopted from DCC's Mighty Deeds.
* Fixed some embarrassing typos.
* Dropped unnecessary 'Appendix N' addition for file size.
>>
File: IMG_20161008_192908.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_192908.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>49696686
Which abridged edition do you recommend or rather to which published the four volumes edition belong to?
>>
>>49696623
I got a tip from goblin punch of starting of the stocking by just deciding on some cool shit to find. Then you fill in the rest with some more mundane rooms and stuff that helps tie the interest points together.
>>
There's nothing in the Trove made by Purple Sorcerer, is it?
>>
>>49695208
What's wrong with the B/x Thief?
>>
>>49697388
Mainly the fiddly d% ability table and the fact that the thief is not particularly good at being the thing he's supposed to be. I would convert the d% ability table to d6 and give the probabilities a buff on the lower end of the level spectrum.

Then again I'm not sure having a skill system like the thieves abilities is good for D&D.
>>
>>49697462
Aside from dropping Thief's, is there something I could replace it with?
>>
File: sp.png (666KB, 1311x928px) Image search: [Google]
sp.png
666KB, 1311x928px
>>49697599
>>
File: alqadimthief.jpg (156KB, 584x771px) Image search: [Google]
alqadimthief.jpg
156KB, 584x771px
>>49695208
One relatively easy fix is simply to change the progression tables. B/X thief tables have their greatest improvements "back loaded" - the first 5 levels give meagre improvements of +5%, then levels 6-11 give dramatic improvements of +10%.

Part of this, I believe, is to compensate for the fact that later levels take more experience, but one easy fix is simply to normalize skill progression at +5% per level and have starting skills be much higher (in essence, increasing them by the extra 30% they would have otherwise gained from level 6-11).

Under this system, the Open Locks skill, for example, would start at a very reasonable 40%. You can massage the table slightly if you want thieves to be less potent at first level: 25-30% to start, for example, and have some levels give a +10% increase instead of a +5%.
>>
>>49697642
Goddamn, I love the Specialist.

>>49697388
Piggybacking onto this question, is the BRPG Thief any good?
>>
File: Mechanation.png (1MB, 1167x1654px) Image search: [Google]
Mechanation.png
1MB, 1167x1654px
Help me make this class better, logical, and not too OP.
>>
>>49696606
It's on Lulu for print and on DriveThruRPG for pdf's anon.
>>
File: tumblr_oackf39sO61tv7tjlo1_1280.png (1MB, 1280x1288px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oackf39sO61tv7tjlo1_1280.png
1MB, 1280x1288px
>>49659083
Dude, I've been trying to figure this out for the past 10 minutes. I took a good shit, came back, and figured it out. Thanks a million.
>>
>>49698198
....and I think it's down again. Or the link has changed
>>
>>49698265
It works fine, anon. Are you sure you have the right solution?
>>
I suppose there is not a wonderful anon who has Hole in the Sky for DCC, right?
>>
>>49698812
https://mega.nz/#!VUsF1YaQ!f2XWL3U_hXFeA2Dy55dMs4b5zMa4v0FFbeuSCUWl5oM
>>
>>49698921
I love you forever anon. Lots of thanks.
>>
>>49698725
Tried it for a third time now, getting an unavailable message.
>>
>>49699169
Did you try >>49692173 ?
>>
File: camalus.jpg (79KB, 599x399px) Image search: [Google]
camalus.jpg
79KB, 599x399px
>>49699182
No. Because I'm a dumbass. Godspeed
>>
>>49692445

Can someone please explain how I'm supposed to use this clue?

Is this supposed be like a word? Band? Bat? If so then what the hell does $e64 mean?

Or is this some computer shit I can only understand if I have that kind of background? Please give some more context.
>>
>>49656485
>>49659083

Took me about ten minutes to figure it out, but the clue helped a lot. Thanks yet again!
>>
>>49699497

Nevermind, figured it out.
>>
>>49656485
I'm still lost...
>>
>>49700084
Your money is counted in groups of 1s, 10s, 100s. The number of pairs is counted in 2s, 4s and 8s. This is counted similarly but different. How is it counted?
>>
>>49699497
It's some really moronic leetspeak. Just read it as a word an it guy woudld use
>>
>>49697642
I'm not used to messing with mechanics and what not. Can I just cram the Specialist into B/x?
>>
>>49700566

I guess you just need to keep LOTFP's skill system in mind.
>>
>>49698198
Fight on!
>>
>>49700566
Adding a skill system like that into BX is a pretty big consideration.
>>
>>49697909

Personally, I'd allow an increase of HP, to represent the learning of how to avoid greater damage.
>>
>>49700566
>Can I just cram the Specialist into B/x?

Yeah, it won't break anything, really.
>>
>>49697909
I think it's great as it is. Maybe you could ask 3000XP instead of 2000XP and go from there, make the class harder to advance in to compensate for the cool stuff instead of taking away the stuff that makes it cool.
>>
>>49701379
Mind you, adding the specialist to B/X isn't just simply adding a character class. It's also adding a complete skill system.
>>
I hacked the lotfp grindhouse character sheet to reflect the stripped down rules we use at our table.
>>
Best OSR sheet on Roll20?
>>
File: 1445205029876.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1445205029876.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
I might make a new thread for it, but I hate posts that go to 400+ before autosaging off the board.

Did anyone see the new OSR kickstarter? The one that is a reprint with new art and language "Designed for and by women exclusively hired to bring more women into the game."

I like the company a lot, so at first I just ignored it, then I realized they mention it in the video, 10+ times in the campaign, and even have an entire update bragging about how they hired a women director to try and bring in "gurl money."

I'm conflicted on if I should think it's good they're doing anything for money, or hate it for being a waste of time, money, and morals.
>>
>>49703107
RPGPundit made some valid points on how it won't work, because most of the backers are already in the OSR, and men, and it isn't going to retail it is to have the book sold through the company/kickstarter.

I think getting a potentially untapped audience (and while there are plenty of women in gaming, they are still untapped to the fullest potential like any other group) is admirable, but they're going about it in kind of a foolish way.

Some of the new art is good, but some of it stinks of like...Elfwood circa 2008. The more stylized heroes look pretty cool, in a Diablo lite sorta way. And since it is all old hat material, there's no real point in backing it.

It's a waste of morality, they could've probably done well to get a bunch of cool lady designers to put out an Adventure/Dungeon anthology. I'd have backed that because it would actually be designed by/for females for the purpose of bringing more into the game by catering to their own market biases.

I think it is more of a non-issue than anything. Though I kind of dislike how people seem to be crapping on the classic art direction of the old covers by calling them "old" for the sake of appealing to old grognards. I'm young, I got into the OSR a few years ago; I love the old cover designs because they feel more like what I'd read in a kid's book growing up and that adds to a sort of DIY fairy-tale feel.
>>
>>49701715

Only if you apply it to other characters. Even in LotFP it's largely restricted to the Specialist.
>>
File: rockabybaby.gif (2MB, 500x571px) Image search: [Google]
rockabybaby.gif
2MB, 500x571px
>>49697909
>Referees must determine
I really dislike this as a "feature". Referees can always change the rules or any class features if they damn well want. Putting stuff like this is the equivalent of leaving things unfinished and saying "hey, do the rest of the work for me". At least give some guiding ideas or a basic table on what might affect a Mechanation.

The other reason to be more thorough with stuff like this is that it not only saves work for the referee, but helps out players. A lot of OSR is about making smart tactical choices, and if players are unclear on class capabilities then it's hard to make informed decisions.
>>
File: 1449709449162.jpg (31KB, 360x339px) Image search: [Google]
1449709449162.jpg
31KB, 360x339px
>>49703216
Thank you for the read, RPGPundit expressed it in a way that made me understand my hesitations on the matter much better.

My favorite TTRPG actually does a lot of the modern equality gimmicks. But they do it extremely tastefully and don't use it to market their product at all.
>>
someone needs to make a new thread
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 81

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.