[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ - Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 121

File: 03CCT_Magic.png (2MB, 1401x1800px) Image search: [Google]
03CCT_Magic.png
2MB, 1401x1800px
0 Power and/or Toughness edition

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>49603324
>>
File: Uninvolved Bystander.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Uninvolved Bystander.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Inspired Hero.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Inspired Hero.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>49650435
>>
>>49650451
You know there are DFC templates on the website.

>When this creature transforms into ~, exile target legendary creature card from your graveyard. Put X +1/+1 counters on ~, where X is the exiled creature card's toughness.
>>
>>49650480

Yeah, for some reason my version of Magic Set Editor throws a hissy fit whenever I try to make one that way. I'll reinstall the packages and see if that fixes it.
>>
File: Fey Duelist.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fey Duelist.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Smpl_Mechanics_Tribes.png (1MB, 1125x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Smpl_Mechanics_Tribes.png
1MB, 1125x1046px
Minor updates on mechanics.
Also introducing tribes I intend to feature.
>>
>>49650533
Honestly seems kinda pointless. Seriously, 0 power?
>>
File: jank_af.jpg (435KB, 1125x1046px) Image search: [Google]
jank_af.jpg
435KB, 1125x1046px
Reposting this from last night, there's got to be something salveageable in here. I want softlock angel to work without being Iona-tier.

>opalite chamber
Actually an old card I had lying around. It's either broken as fuck or too weak for mythic, and I can't figure which. Might depend on the format.

>Rayael
My goal here was to make a Serra-Avatar costed card that felt like Iona that wasn't as fucking degenerate as Iona. As such, she became Mega-Torpor-Orb, shutting off as much of the fun you can have by playing creatures as possible. She also has a touch of Norn's Annex by favoring White.

>Sierra
I wanted to develop a one-drop somewhere in this cycle thing, and Blue got it. A semi-Parley effect that generates tokens. Encourages the user to go creature-light. I don't really know if it's good or not- she is the low low cost of U, but are 1/1 Faerie Illusions going to get you anywhere but feels town?

>Blood-Soaked Armor
I'm so sorry for this card.

>Severi
Lovisa Coldeyes and Adrianna influenced this card. Warrior tribal that wants to smack everyone's shit up and get card advantage off of it. Fun?

>Theoldra
Idea based off of one in a previous thread that I kind of liked. I probably should have just copied them directly but that's a pretty shitty thing to do just because I'm making a cycle, so I tried something different. You can't mill an eldrazi titan that easily in Green, right?
...right?

>Blood-Soaked Armor
Yeah, okay, actual explanation. What ate up the most space on this card was using a fancy flavorful version of Living Weapon, not really knowing what ability I wanted it to grant, and trying to incentivize burning through your life like a fat kid burns through a box of donuts. Then I realized I needed to make it commander-able, AND give it an equip cost, and I sorta kinda just... gave up on trying to make it smaller.
>>
>>49652858
>land
Draw should be a sac effect.

>White
Just make it 2 generic, and fix the wording.

>Blue
Probably busted. Try 2U.

>Black
No. Simplify this, and ditch the last ability.

>Red
Wow. Needs a more balanced cost, I think. Maybe ditch the discard requirement. Looks lije a lot of fun.

>Green
Confused. Maybe something like XX3G and it returns X creatures as you cast it. Regardless, needs a bigger body.
>>
File: Z.jpg (829KB, 1875x1569px) Image search: [Google]
Z.jpg
829KB, 1875x1569px
repostin' from last thread got no comments

still working on rest of colors and whatnot
>>
File: 1474434276964.jpg (103KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
1474434276964.jpg
103KB, 750x523px
>>49652995
>Missionary From Mara
Why not Mara Missionary?

>Split Lovers
I don't understand the flavor of this. Maybe it just needs better art.

>Pale Wanderer
So many questions... How does a Spirit make a Plant? Why is the Plant Green when the ability needs Black? Why is the Plant 2/2? This would make so much more sense if the card were a Human, and the token were a Black Zombie.

>Bring Low
Name token, unfortunately by a garbage card. That said, recently Wizards has been trying to give "with power N or greater" destruction to White, and "with power N or less" to Black. Oh, and if you do decide to do reprints, please denote them somehow. I use purple rarity, Time anon puts (R) at the end of the names, for example. Speaking of, I still haven't decided which flavor text I like more for this card.

>Innovate
Should be
>~ deals 1 damage to that permanent's controller. Cool otherwise, I'd like to see a cycle for this idea.

>Rising Faith
Imagine a million question marks, one after the other. That is my response to this card. It's fine at a power level, but I have a million questions for everything else.

>Blanket of Souls
I like the idea, but I don't like how it's not symmetrical. Maybe prevent all damage on one, give DStrike on the other?

>Turn to Salt
We getting Biblical? Doesn't matter, just want to point out that Wizards is trying to move away from White creature destruction with no downsides and no restrictions.
>>
I remember there being some wording precedent for something along the lines of "you may activate this ability as if this creature had haste" but I can't remember what exactly it was
>>
I want to build a set with the Futureshifted keywords that haven't returned in any way. So far I have
>Aura Swap - WU auras
>Fateseal - UB draw control
>Gravestorm - BR graveyard matters
>Frenzy - RG beatdown (fits more than B)
>Absorb - GW big butts
>Fortify - Utility lands
What I would like to know is if there are other keywords introduced in the TS block that could be included.
>>
>>49654192
This would be a gargantuan task. There is a reason many of those mechanics have still yet to be put into the game. Gravestorm, Fateseal, and Fortify specifically have generally been considered to be either too broken, too unfun, or too limited for modern print.
>>
>>49654230
As long as Fateseal is kept at a low number, it shouldn't be too broken. Gravestorm is just an alternate (and imo, more balanced) form of Storm, and Fortifying a land is about the same as enchanting it.
>>
>>49654317
I have written a longer form of why Fortifying a land is not just enchanting a land or equipping a land but ultimately, if it's just enchanting a land, why not just enchant a land?

The only reason you wouldn't just enchant a land is if you 1) want to re-use this fortification by attaching it to another land or 2) the fortification is doing something independent of the land since you couldn't tap an aura

The problem with the former is lets say you have a fortification that when the fortified land is tapped, a target creature gets +0+/1. The act of re-fortifying multiple lands per turn would be incredibly tedious, especially so on a digital format which WotC has steadily been designing for. The latter has an incredibly limited design scope when you consider how many equipment cards there are that have abilities themselves with a considerably more complex subject, creatures.
>>
>>49654367
I guess I forgot 3) you want to avoid a larger drawback from land destruction but WotC has avoided printing good or pretty much any land destruction for awhile
>>
>>49652446
repeatable tapdown.
>>
File: Doom5.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Doom5.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>49654388
There are already so many cards that can do repeatable tapdown so much better than that though.
>>
>>49652995
Is this a multicolor set? There seems to be a lot of non-white colors on white cards.
>>
File: Barro Maro-Sorcerer.jpg (156KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Barro Maro-Sorcerer.jpg
156KB, 750x1046px
>>49650435
>>49650451
>>49650480

I'd rather much use:
>~ gets +X/+X, where X is the exiled creature card's toughness.

Counters allows for some interactions that are unasked for.

I like the card, although them being pretty much vanilla, especially Inspired Hero, feels a bit lacking. Not a fan of the names either. Seems nice for a Return to Kamigawa.

>>49651158
>Kelban
White, Human, and Retreat. That thing is asking to become an obnoxious combo enabler. Tread extremely carefully on that mechanic. I can see some real issues down the line becoming either not worth the cost, or being beyond broken.

>Riali
Seeker is interesting. There's probably one or two mono blue rares that are going to become popular :p

>Yazri
This mechanic also feels a bit teetering on the edge of too good or too bad. Probably >If you lose life this turn, is good enough and opens more possibilities and mind games.

>Tavok
Scrap Ravage. Nightmare on big board states.

>Janu
I remember the last time you posted this card, and I told you what I'm going to tell you now (If you weren't the one to post this, someone made the exact mechanic under the exact name), change it to:
>Resonate (Target creature you control that shares a color with this card gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

And then just do ETB+, resonate. This will allow you to slap it onto abilities and nonpermanents.

>Ignite
This is rare, bordering on mythic. Casting it for free is obnoxious. That said, this is the mechanic I like the most, even when the themes (hybrid and 'modal' monocolor) work against each other. Could you please post the art? <3

Also, you're great at making tribe names. Honest envy.

>>49653747
This is a reprint isn't it?

>>49654500
A bit insane, but 10 CMC, so whatever.

Anyone has the Challenge Primer?
>>
File: 1474703110732.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1474703110732.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Since the other anon is using Shadow.

>>49655535
>This is a reprint isn't it?
Yes. I denote reprints with purple rarity. Which flavor text do you prefer?
>>
File: 1474178477020.png (336KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474178477020.png
336KB, 1600x1000px
>>49655535
>Anyone has the Challenge Primer?
Here. Though I will say that a quick look through the archive isn't hard.
>>
>>49655055
>Is this a multicolor set?
Yes.
>>
Alright guys, so I have this mechanic

Unity (You may divided damage assigned to this creature between any number of creatures you control with unity.)

I need a way to word it so it's not broken to shit, notably to prevent people to assign the damage all on one creature.
>>
>>49652995
>>49653747
So, curious, how much support and interaction are you giving Shadow in this set? Like, are you going to do something like Crux of Fate, but the difference in choice is creatures with Shadow and creatures without Shadow?
>>
>>49655876
>I need a way to word it so it's not broken to shit, notably to prevent people to assign the damage all on one creature.
Well, you have two options. The first is also the easiest: Make another keyword. The other is to have 1 damage be dealt to the original creature, but allow the rest to be distributed.
>>
>>49655914
>So, curious, how much support and interaction are you giving Shadow in this set?
Flying isn't in the set to compensate. Basically, mechanically, think of it as "Raging River: The Set".

Shadow is very frequent, with U/B/W having it on just under 1/2 of their creatures. Green + red get interaction that does not involve the actual keyword ("Destroy creature with shadow" ala plummet and whatnot for green, etc.)
>>
>>49655943
I was thinking about being able to redirect damage equal to the creature's toughness, I'm just not sure how to word it
>>
>>49655706
Can't recall the name of the card being reprinted. D;
Flavor A) Cheesy>Cringey.

>>49655746
Roooooooll.

>>49655876
Son, this is banding, but even worse.
>>
>>49655980
I know, I'm looking for a mechanic for the elves in my set in GW, but I hate this color combination, and I can't find shit worth designing.
>>
Rolled 8, 3, 10 = 21 (3d10)

Ah right, rolls here don't work with post #.

... I don't like this primer. e-e And doesn't rolling Xd10 add them up?
>>
>>49656005
>>49655980
>>49655943

Actually, I think I found a way.

The goal was always to have the creatures have a link between them, so they could buff each other. The problem was that the mechanic was parasitic, because the creatures had something like ''This creature gets +1/+1 for each other creature with unity''.

So, what about just Unity - This creature gets +1/+1 for each other creature you control that shares a creature type with it?
>>
Rolled 5, 8, 5, 6, 8 = 32 (5d10)

>>49655980
>Can't recall the name of the card being reprinted. D;
>Flavor A) Cheesy>Cringey.
I don't know what any of this means.

>Roooooooll.
Alright. What do I get? Only doing categories up to rarity.
>>
>>49654500

It's repeatable tapdown that plays very, very nicely with equipment or auras.
>>
File: custom card challenge v2.png (336KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
custom card challenge v2.png
336KB, 1600x1000px
>>49655746
Here, have a fixed one where rolling Artifact and Land aren't both 9s. I didn't notice that till after I posted it the first time.
>>
>>49656061
>5, 8, 5, 6, 8
>Green, artifact (looks like the creator of this messed up here), voltron/buff, CMC 3, Rare
So, an equipment. Eh, not too hard.

>>49656031
>8, 3, 10
Assuming you rolled for the first three categories, this is multicolor, sorcery, mana advantage card. Last two numbers of your post are 31, so the colors are U and W.
>>
>>49656044
That gets busted incredibly fast as a mechanic.
>>
>>49656128
Oh, you made this? Well, I like this overall, but I feel like the mechanic section isn't the best, since not all colors can really do all those things. Like I think I had to make a cheap card advantage for Red once, and I just couldn't come up with anything.
>>
>>49656145
Well yea, but that depends on the effect.

for example, a grey ogre with that, or a 0/1 for one, or a 2/2 for five that gets +2/+2 for each, or a creature with WW,T: deal X damage to target attacking or blocking creature, where X is the number of creature you control that shares a creature type with it. It has plenty of design space, but you make that creatures less efficient from the get-go, and they need other creatures to be good. It conveys the flavor, it's thematic, and it can be developpmently controlled by adjusting powers and toughness.

It can be broken, but I'll have to playtest to see that.
>>
>>49656044
Since it's defensive, how about "When this creature blocks, it gets +0/+1 for each other blocking creature."
>>
>>49656177
Impulse draw? Drawing more than you discard? It doesn't have to be just draw either. It's not perfect but it's better than the old one I made which was just a huge list of color/type combos and you rolled like a d137 to pick one. I thought something modular like this might be better.

I guess I can't make cards OR random challenge charts! Why the fuck to I stick around these threads again?
>>
>>49656256
well, I kinda went it to be offensive more than defensive to be honest. my original idea was that they were a bunch of glass cannons
>>
File: Ironbark Gauntlets.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ironbark Gauntlets.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>49656259
Eh, you're just trying to help.

>>49656141
Done with my challenge. Hope this is good.
>>
>>49656294
Unity (Whenever one or more creatures with unity attack or block, divide the sum of all combat damage that would be dealt to them evenly between them.)

Want to share damage as a community? There you go, everyone gets a fair share. Will save your fatties and murder your weenies but not let you load all the damage on a 1/1.
>>
>>49656324
Pretty nice.
>>
File: Legion Commander.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Legion Commander.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>49656005
GW is hell to design for.

>>49656044
Heh. This is my set's mechanic for G/W.

>>49656141
Rolled WU Artifact Removal Least Favourite, which I don't really have.

>>49656256
Bad.

>>49656342
Stop. Stop.
Stop.
Do not revive banding.
>>
>>49656342
To be honest, I think I'm just gonna abandon the Banding route
>>
>>49656367
It's not artifact removal, just any kind of removal.
>>
>>49656367
>Stop. Stop.
>Stop.
>Do not revive banding.
They don't block and aren't blocked as a group, which is part of the shit show that is banding. This is just the damage re-distribution part, and only works with creatures with Unity, so you can't include non-Unity critters to save confusion.

But I agree, usually Banding-like mechanics suck. I struggled with one myself. Honestly yours isn't much better because Tribal is a bad basis for set mechanics. Lorwyn proved how narrow and constricting it is.
>>
>>49656324
>Eh, you're just trying to help.
For the load of good it does me. Can't buy a reply on my cards so they apparently suck. Can't make a decent design challenge chart. Feedback largely goes unreplied/unnoticed.

I feel like a hated tripfag more often than not around here. I honestly dunno why I stay.
>>
File: Amazing Grace.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Amazing Grace.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>49656463
Why don't you try your own challenge, see how it works?
>>
>>49656484
>Use this in Commander
>Against someone with a sac engine or Ashnod's Altar
>Get fucked by your own Commander
Surprisingly balanced.
>>
File: Scott Free Mister Miracle.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Scott Free Mister Miracle.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
>>49656539
Not really what I was going for, but OK. The lore is that she's on Darkseid's... side, and organizes rebellions against him for the sole purpose of giving the people of Apokolips a brief moment of hope before taking it away, breaking them utterly. So with this version, everyone gets Rebels, but because Amazing Grace is pulling the strings, they can't turn against you.
>>
File: download.jpg (672KB, 2250x1046px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
672KB, 2250x1046px
>>49656418
It has to be an artifact, however.

>>49656422
I disagree totally. Tribal is only as narrow as you let it be and how much you're willing for the same creature type to eat up your set, colour mechanics, and colour pie. Cards that had that very mechanic had to be nerfed twice, some thrice because of how explosive they were (in my very limited playtesting of about 8-10 people.)

Let's not take Forsythe as a benchmark for designing either, please.

>Challenge
Well I went with least favourite archetype first. Then I have no idea, but loved the card. And the final result I'm quite pleased with.
>>
rghrgrhgrh. Should be greater than.
>>
File: Chainsaw.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Chainsaw.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>49656653
>It has to be an artifact, however.
Why? You only rolled for three categories.

>Maro's Blueprints
I have no idea what the last ability is for.

>Pagnon
That first ability is super narrow. Most times the copies are made on the stack so they aren't cast.

Also, why are the effects of the last ability not symmetrical? Why a token of the exiled card instead of just getting the card?

>Mace
I don't like how it affects power than has another ability that looks at power. Possibly confusing. And busted, but I don't know for sure on that.

Tribal is super narrow. It just doesn't really DO anything. It powers up other tribal things and it allows you to find them with tribal tutors. Big whoop. Might as well just use the actual creatures.
>>
Hey, how is this for a card idea?
>Destroy each creature with power X or greater.
Since White has a lot of high power hate now. I'm guessing at least like X4WW, right?
>>
>>49656686
>Cards that had that very mechanic had to be nerfed twice, some thrice
That doesn't make Tribal good, that makes you a designer that makes overpowered cards. I can make cards with bad mechanics that are crazy broken too; it does nothing to prove they are good or not narrow. WotC wouldn't be leaning away from tribal if it were a good idea. I know you buck trends on the regular though, so agree to disagree, moving on.

>>49656484
Honestly why bother? If I can't post anonymously and get input then why would I do it after begging for it? What does that accomplish? I just don't think I belong here anymore.
>>
>>49656765
UW from post, Roll A) Artifact, Roll B) Removal, Roll C) Least Favourite.

>I have no idea what the last ability is for.
Do any of us?

>Pagnon
You can't cast noncopies. You can only cast copies. And why are they assimetrical, is because copied permanent spell objects produce no permanent objects, they fizzle on resolution.

>Mace
>Don't like
Well, that actually balances it out, since equipped creature having a higher power reduces the number of valid targets. Also, otherwise there's no incentive whatsoever to not unequip it otherwise.

>Tribal.
Putting it like that, pretty much every card and mechanic is worthless. Of course you're going to have to build around it. And keep in mind that this is possible with Throng:

>Elf Druid with Throng
>Human Druid
>Elf Warrior
>Throng is active.

>>49656484
>Rebels
AYY

>>49656600
Mister Miracle? Jesus these names.

Effect is a bit narrow, but that recursion on that cost seems fair and fun.

>>49656784
I think there's a card like that, can't seach it at the moment.

>>49656817
Only buck against WotC and people who like them :( I wasn't always like this. WotC-kun wasn't always like this ;_;

Come on, meld? Not to mention the game has turned into a lottery, rather than keep on being a game.

>>49656765
That's a pretty sweet card.
>>
>>49656996
I don't agree with everything WotC does (not even half of it these days), but I agree with enough of it that a lot of what you do chafes. And your justifications for it typically fall apart under scrutiny, but it's whatever. I say this all the time: make whatever you want. People here like your cards. I like some of them. So what the fuck do you care what I think? People like your shit better than mine so that basically means they'd rather have you around to begin with, so... victory is yours anyway?
>>
File: B.F.G. 9000.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
B.F.G. 9000.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>49656996
No, Kazy, 8 was for color, which points to multicolor, which is then determined by your post number.

>You can't cast noncopies
Oh. Wow, that's a terrible idea.

Wait, I don't think you know how Pagnon works. If players can only cast spell copies, how does the last ability work? It tells you to cast a nonpermanent spell.

>Mace
Jesus, what's wrong with me? Misread that too.

>Tribal
No, my point was that even in tribal decks, the Tribal type is nearly worthless. Like, look at Innistrad, the original set. It had five different tribes in it. Now, tell me, is there anything of significance Tribal would have added to that set? Or look at the Eldrazi from the Battle block, same thing. The Tribal type doesn't really add anything, even in tribal

>Amazing Grace
Thanks.

>Mister Miracle
You have a problem with Mister Miracle, but not Scott Free or Amazing Grace?

Yeah, abilities not super great, it's more for flavor, but I'm glad the last ability worked out.

>I think there's a card like that, can't seach it at the moment.
I know there's a card that says something like
>Destroy all creatures with power greater than target creature's power.
But that's it.

>Come on, meld?
I can get this, other people don't like it much either. Hmm, kinda curious what the audience thought of it. Maybe Maro said something about its reaction.

>Not to mention the game has turned into a lottery, rather than keep on being a game.
I don't understand this at all.

>Chainsaw
Thanks. For some reason I decided to make some cards for the Doom games.
>>
>>49654126
Basically this. It's really a way to get creatures to use tap abilities without giving them Haste itself, which would also let them attack.
>>
>>49654126
please halp
>>
>>49657387
>>49657404
oh thanks, that was weird
>>
File: vengeance.jpg (357KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
vengeance.jpg
357KB, 1875x523px
The problem with playing other games is then you start thinking about how their mechanics would fit into Magic.
>>
>>49657431
What game?

Also, this mechanic has pretty much already been done in Innistrad as Fateful Hour.
>>
>>49657082
I do care. As stubborn as I am, I enjoy hearing other people's opinions and discussing them. And this isn't about victory or defeat, it's about learning.

>>49657306
>8 for colour
I'm so confused ~_~ I thought I could choose to roll for colour or use post #?

>Pagnon
I do know, I'm just a shit spaz. It should read:

>Choose a card exiled with ~. If it's nonpermanent, copy it and cast it without paying its mana cost. If it's a permanent card, create a token that's a copy of it.

Will change ;_;

>Tribal
Ah, kinda see what you mean now, have to agree it doesn't add that much, and on the same line I'd have to say it's mandatory, even more so in this time of comicbook MTG.

>Meld
Limited is the only thing that keeps me playing physical, and holy shit was it a disaster. Who woulda thought that it would play terribly in draft? everyone? I get convinced day by day that they do not play test.

>Lotery
Opening packs and hoping for Expeditions or whatever. Breaks my heart seeing people trading cards with their fucking phones checking prices.

>BFG
[Redacted] Lol.
>>
File: earthcraft.jpg (271KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
earthcraft.jpg
271KB, 1500x523px
>>49657477
Shadowverse, a weeb version of Hearthstone. Of the mechanics that would work outside of a digital card game, there's, with their functional Magic equivalents:
>Anthem (if two or more other spells have been cast this turn...)
>Overload (if you control 7 or more lands...)
>Necromancy (Exile N cards from your graveyard to do something)
>Vengeance (If you have half your starting life or less)
>Countdown (Suspend)
>Earthcraft (A weird combination of typed Enchantments and things that sacrifice said enchantments to get bonuses)

One class also has heavy mixed-tribal synergy, between "Officers" and "Commanders", to support more or less a wide-aggro strategy.

The non-working ones include
>Token card generation, typically 1/1s for 1 (to play with Anthem)
>Spellboost (Psuedo-storm but tracks spells cast while the card with spellboost is in your hand)

And yeah, forgot about that. Whoops. Fateful Hour was almost all defensive, but Shadowverse puts its equivalent in aggro or control that's willing to burn itself for card/field advantage.

>cards
A more or less straight port from some of the Earthcraft cards.
>>
>>49657404
I know the solution was already given, but a little self-sufficiency can go a long way. Gatherer/Oracle is your friend.

>>49657431
>>49657477
Shadowverse. It's a waifu-simulator ripoff of Hearthstone that's entertaining in short bursts. Mobile game.

>>49657596
>And this isn't about victory or defeat, it's about learning
>learning when your cards are ignored time and time again
Okay sport. And I'm not the only one who's cards get blown over either. How do those people learn when they get ignored? I know posting does not equal compulsory feedback, but still. Get off your high horse about that. I have seen you get dangerously close to circle-jerk tier, so just maybe make a better effort to help others learn if you're so keen on it yourself?
>>
>>49657596
>Color
No, the first number specifies one of five colors, colorless, favorite color, or multicolor. If it specifies multicolor, THEN you use the post number to determine what colors make it up.

>Pagnon
I at least think the ability should be available to all players.

>Meld
Limited is not the only format. It's one of the most important, but constructed is a thing.

>Lottery
HAHAHA!!! Kazy, Magic has ALWAYS been a lottery! That's why I don't play with cardboard.

>BFG
Yeah, that's the name of an achievement. But what do you think of the ability and balance?
>>
>>49657823
At least Kazy is making cards. Is all you do is mope and bitch and whine. I mean, everything you complain about basically amounts to "Wha! Life isn't fair!" Well, tough shit. You just need to roll with the punches like everyone else. But to be honest, I don't think you care about what cards you make. I think you only want people to pat you on the back and tell you how great you are. Well, that's the thing with being anonymous, nobody gives a fuck about who you are. Deal with it.
>>
>>49658234
>At least Kazy is making cards
More than me to be sure, these days.
>All you do is mope and bitch and whine.
Fair assessment. I also have given huge blocks of feedback in the last several threads, but because I believe in anonymity, I don't mark myself in any way to "take credit" for it. In fact, someone credited me with someone else's feedback last thread and I corrected them because it can be hard to tell, as it should be.
>"Wha! Life isn't fair!"
It isn't for anybody, but a community can certainly strive to make it better for each other. If you'll notice, I've included others in my griping. I would like to see things get better for everyone.
>Well, tough shit
Yeah, it certainly is. I mean I don't expect anybody to care about what I'm saying at all, honestly. I'm just saying it to make myself feel better, really. Nothing will change.
>roll with the punches
Yeah I'm in a bad mood, so probably not the best time to be posting. I think it's funny that /CO/anon called everyone lazy fucks a few threads back (or something) and that all blew over, but you really feel the need to type all this out to chastise me? Okay. How about you deal with it?
>I don't think you care about what cards you make
I do, but nobody else does. How do I improve when nobody comments? I'm curious. I guess I can just git gud on my own. But if I could do that, then why post here?
>I think you only want pats on the back
Nah, I'll take feedback calling me a faggot over that. You don't know me very well. Which stands to reason given the nature of the board and that I don't run around with a trip/set symbol when I'm not making sets because cards should stand on their own merits, not because of what symbol they have.
>Well, that's the thing with being anonymous, nobody gives a fuck about who you are. Deal with it.
I honestly believe this is you, Kazy, but even if it isn't, if I wanted to attention whore, why would I stay anon? Makes no sense at all you'd even accuse me of this.
>>
>>49658234
>>49658378
The long and the short of it is this: people don't post here like they used to. Maybe, just maybe, that's an issue with how these threads go more often than not; tons of cards posted with no feedback for whatever reason. I think it's a problem with a few factors:
>People are scared to post cards tied to feedback because they don't want to look dumb.
Fair. But it doesn't help YOU get feedback when you look like you're just posting cards with no contribution. People make mistakes. Look at me, I'm making one right now! Nobody will care in a day.
>circle-jerking
Subconsciously or not, I think square symbols get ignored more often than people who mark all their cards. People can't learn if they are ignored, so... maybe we should help them? Now, not all threads are bad, but some are, and I can imagine some people trying for the first time that get ignored walk away. That's a person, something these threads bitch about being scarce on many occasions, walking away because they were overlooked. That just makes things feel like a club, and that's not what this is, as you admit it shouldn't be by your own post.

tl;dr -- these threads will stop being shitty when we all stop making them shitty. And that goes for me bitching up a storm about fake cards nobody cares about, which I won't ruin the thread with anymore. I've said my piece, and it'll fall on deaf ears, I'm sure, because right now I'm the annoying one shitting up the thread.
>>
File: Hungering Beauty.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hungering Beauty.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>49658076
OH. Okay. Maybe next try.

>Pagnon
Well kill me. It was supposed to be like you said, for all players. I should read cards more than once when I make them on the spot.

>Meld
Well yeah, but it fucked up the experience real bad for most of us at my LGS.

>Lottery
To some extent yes, but it's gotten worse and worse over the years, and I think that's mostly unarguably true, sadly.

>BFG
Abilities are good enough, but it might be crazy on some formats. Saves it it's creatures only.

>Card

>>49657823
I'm not on a high horse, I've been around long enough so to know that sometimes you get ignored, sometimes you don't, and sometimes you even get ignored on purpose, which is absolutely fine. You keep posting.

I've actually been here long enough to see quite a few people, some even completing whole sets. I got along pretty well with the first anon that made a Cthulu Set, called the Yellow Sign, Pirate Anon, and Squiggly-Judge Anon, who to this day, is my favourite designer on these threads, even when he barely ever shows up anymore. And COAnon is my /tg/ bestie. <3 Even when all things given, we have our clear differences.

>>49658378
I'm not so alone in life as to pretend to masturbate myself pretending to be another poster. 13 years in 4chan, and I don't know how to check if someone's the same poster, but you can check it somehow. And trust me, if you're on these threads somewhat often, I can be a dick, and a bit too stubborn for my own good, but I suck it up with a smile.

And honestly, looking dumb is part of it. Look at the shit I used to make.

>Squares
True thing, they do get ignored more often, as do the wall of cards. Personally, I only review when the post count is under 100-150, and only on singles with images with three or less replies. I also much like much more making cards than reviewing them, but I don't mind, and I know it's needed.

As for attention whoring, you have been making a scene for a few threads already, might aswell join tripclub.
>>
>>49658378
>>49658483
People do get feedback here. Not all the time, no, but they do get feedback. Everyone who's made a set here has done it with the help of feedback. So it always blows my mind when you complain about not getting feedback or whatever.

>Nah, I'll take feedback calling me a faggot over that.
I think you're lying. The reason I think you want a pat on the back is because of how you react to feedback. Every time you post a card and gotten feedback, at least all the times I've noticed, you immediately give up on the card. If you actually cared about your cards, you would persevere and try to improve them instead of just moping about your lack of design skill. This attitude just kills me. Post your cards, live up to the fact that not all your cards are perfect, then take the take the feedback and improve yourself. It's going to take a long time, a very long time, but I think if you actually cared you would do it.

>I think it's funny that /CO/anon called everyone lazy fucks a few threads back (or something) and that all blew over
Yeah, that's because I don't do it all the time. Seriously, I can always tell when you're in the thread when someone starts to mope about feedback. And I've been trying to help you for so long, and all you do is mope.
>>
File: Fools Errand.png (190KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fools Errand.png
190KB, 375x523px
This was a name-first card, but I think it works pretty well.
>>
File: Kiran Nalaar Returned.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kiran Nalaar Returned.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Sure is cards in here.
>>
File: creeping_fog_by_nigreda-d8ni7yh.jpg (136KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
creeping_fog_by_nigreda-d8ni7yh.jpg
136KB, 900x599px
Art challenge! Artist: Sally Gottschalk.

Hard mode: not a creature card.
>>
>>49654230
>Working on making a card with Gravestorm
>Basically make an alternate Grapeshot
>Realize that it could potentially deal infinite damage to a player with an infinite sac engine a la Krenko
Jesus, you weren't kidding
>>
>>49658946
BBBB
Nightmare's Eve
World enchantment

At the beginning of each player's end step, That player may exile a creature card from his or her graveyard and put a token that's a copy of it onto the battlefiled tapped.
>>
File: Creeping Fog.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Creeping Fog.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>49658946
Well, the art's name is literally Creeping Fog...
>>
File: Ghoulcalling.png (960KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Ghoulcalling.png
960KB, 750x1046px
>>49658910
I'd make it BR 1/1.
10/10 everything else. That flavah.

>>49659091
I spent two hours thinking of a mechanic for WB. I thought I made it. I thought I was brilliant. How come I'm so much better than WotC.

... I had made Undying.

>>49658946
Wanted to give the creature cards Yawgmoth's Will, but it self combos to infinity.
>Woops! Wrong version!
>>
File: Forest.png (840KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Forest.png
840KB, 750x1046px
Put into a graveyard. Fuck me. Also, killer Forest. Reminds me a lot of Invasion Forests.
>>
>>49658893
Think it should be 1U. Putting the spell on top of the library is just really good.

>>49658910
Seems like a lot of fun, especially in EDH. Kinda wish it hit creatures though.

>>49658946
>Creeping Fog
>Instant
>Rare
>Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn. At the beginning of the next end step, create an X/X green Spirit Elemental creature token, where X is the amount of damage prevented this way.
Dunno about cost... 3G?
>>
File: ccg in a nutshell.png (142KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
ccg in a nutshell.png
142KB, 340x270px
>>49659213
>>
>>49659263
KEK
>>
>>49659213
Funny story, Kazy. Can you tell us what your idea was? I think I already saw it and just want to see if it's what I'm thinking of.
>>
>>49658780
>>49658887
I have posted my cards revised. They got ignored. So it's not for lack of trying. But I digress. Honestly, you're right. I should have not let it get under my skin as I have. I don't expect to make perfect cards, but honestly there is no point in "defending" myself anymore. I posted some shit that is actually a problem while in a bad mood and it blew up into something that should never have happened. I apologize to the thread, for what little it means to you all. If I do participate from now on, I'll try to remember that I USED to get feedback, and may still again, and just to keep a stiff upper lip and not let RL mood affect what should be escapism, especially when it ruins things for everyone else. Honestly it's really terrible because I've been around for so long that I'd forget what it means to be here just because I stopped posting for a few months.

Really it would have been better for everyone if you all just told me to fuck off, but alas, here we are, with understanding still a possibility. Thanks for making me take the hard road, assholes.

>It's going to take a long time, a very long time
I have specifically respond to this because I've been making cards longer than you've had the /CO/ moniker, but I guess I forgot how, and also forgot how these threads work and how not to be a bitch. I got really moody because I am having a rough time IRL and that shouldn't matter but I let it. So I got all mad that I couldn't just crank out cards with potential easily anymore, and took it out on you. For what it's worth, I apologize for that too.
>>
File: Fortune.jpg (31KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fortune.jpg
31KB, 375x523px
>>49659379
>Really it would have been better for everyone if you all just told me to fuck off, but alas, here we are, with understanding still a possibility. Thanks for making me take the hard road, assholes.
Look man, I don't want you to leave. I want to help you, and I've been trying to do that for a while now. I just feel like you never really accept it. Because we've done this before, where we talk, you post a card, I give you feedback, then you seem to get discouraged and say you're going to stop. I like helping people here, I like giving feedback to people. I don't think anyone should just stop posting, unless they're obvious trolls just trying to start shit, I want them to improve.

I mean, look at me, look at Kazy. We were garbage when we first started, and we've definitely improved our designs as we've come along. Look at this thing. This is my first custom card. And the really scary thing is, I thought it was black-border at the time I made it.

I can understand why it would be so disheartening to feel like you were great then just fell down, and lost everything you had before. But you have to try, or you're never going to get back up again.

And yeah, I let my emotions get to me too. Anyone familiar with me know that this happens to me from time to time. And I'm really sorry about that everyone.
>>
File: Leoric the Holy Bane.png (1012KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Leoric the Holy Bane.png
1012KB, 750x1046px
>>49659263
I laughed a lot.

>>49659367
You haven't seen it; I've never posted this mechanic.

>>49659801
I don't know who you are ;_; Card's rad tho.
>>
File: Capture.png (259KB, 382x529px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
259KB, 382x529px
> 0 power and or toughness edition

Working on an entire block 2/3rds of the way done.
Making art for 500+ cards suuuuucks
>>
File: WH.png (295KB, 378x529px) Image search: [Google]
WH.png
295KB, 378x529px
>>49660006
Speaking of which, could i get feed back on this mechanic for the second set?

> It's too complicated, isn't it?
>>
>>49660058
Evoke just does this better.
>>
>>49659911

Seems mono-White in almost everything
>>
File: Smpl_Mechanics_Tribesv2.png (1MB, 1125x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Smpl_Mechanics_Tribesv2.png
1MB, 1125x1046px
>>49655535
>>49651158
Revised and renamed some mechanics.

W) Not all of the creatures that have them are going to have evoke or ETB abilities. I'm not too concerned about the ability as it only affects itself and is also the delayed version of flicker.

U)

B) I reduced it down to 2 life in order to enable more activation. The only thing I didn't want to happen was just triggering off a single sac land. There will also be life to be paid in black as most things will care not that you took damage, but did damage to yourself. The name was also changed solely because I had too many mechanics starting with R.

R) This one I just replaced it until "your next combat". It's about as hard to track as detain is, which I find more or less to be fine. Worst comes to worst, they stack into piles.

G) This actually solved one of the things I was looking for, which was having a keyword action to improve mechanic variety. I don't like that it can resonate itself, but that's not that big a deal.

5c) I think the "free" cast on the restriction you cast with only red mana is fair. Half-wheeling yourself can be strong in the right deck, but otherwise medium in others. For the most part, you're still drawing into the unknown.

I will post the image after this. I did edit it slightly.
>>
>>49655535
I edited to top part of the art to make it more orange instead of its original cool blue.
>>
File: Jack Wheeler Wild Dog.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jack Wheeler Wild Dog.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>49659911
>I don't know who you are ;_; Card's rad tho.
I'm CO anon!

>card
Ha, that is pretty funny.

>>49660006
>>49660058
Have you seriously not learned how to export card images?
>>
>>49659379
I get it dude. Sometimes I see time anon or co anon or other people like that post a bunch of cool shit over and over again, and it's like "how the fuck do they manage that?"
>>
File: Porcelain Tower of Avagas.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Porcelain Tower of Avagas.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49660667
Man, hope you never wanted to cast a gold spell again.
>>
>>49660678
That was kinda the point, gives you color fixing at the expense of not being viable with multicolor.
>>
>>49660413
Perseverance. Whatever you do, you have to keep trying. Unless you're trying to do something that is inherently broken, you should never stop developing and refining your cards. Even if you're not posting cards, always think about them. Think about their interactions, how they might be used, what other routes you could go with a card, etc.

Look at pic attached. On the left are the first versions of my cards, at least as far as I know from the archives. On the right are the cards as they are now. It took me a very long time to get these cards to where they are now. Look at the number on Power Girl. I label my cards with their iteration number. So that 39 says that that's the 39th cards I made for that one character. In other words: I made 38 bad cards trying to get one good one. And I'm still not entirely sure that one's finished! And it took me over a year to get here!

Now, this isn't true for all my cards, sometimes I get lucky and nail it in one, but that's rare. I will usually have to go through at least a few iterations before I get the final card.

Oh, and I've learned a lot. Like, so much. I really need to just sit down one day and write all my advice in a PasteBin and put it up. I've already written a lot out for people already.
>>
>>49660692
>not being viable with multicolor.
Not him, but why offer the choice to change the color then?
>>
>>49660713

Well, it can be used with multicolour decks just not with multicolour spells. It seems like the idea is to make it 'This turn I want to cast spells of X colour, all my mana is X colour'. So you can play big spells of any colour you want even if you can't play gold spells.
>>
>>49660734
Hmm, makes sense.
>>
>>49659164
You get zero points.
j/k it's fine

>>49659213
Oh ffs, just say black creature spells.

>>49659247
1U would make it strictly worse than Memory Lapse. Also points for the fog+token idea.
>>
>>49660801
Oh wow, forgot about Memory Lapse. Oh, and I didn't see that it only counters creature spells. Carry on then.

And thanks, glad you like it.
>>
File: Creeping Fog.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Creeping Fog.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>49660801
>>49660859
Oh, and here's a mockup, since I was on my phone before.
>>
>>49660859
>>49660801
Memory Lapse is also a really good card by itself. Judging cards based on other cards (especially older ones) isn't a great way to gauge their power.
>>
>>49661356
It'd also be a worse essence scatter.
>>
File: David Reid Magog.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
David Reid Magog.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Going to try to do Gog next. Really, as far as Magog goes, his entire character boils down to being the superhero who decided that killing supervillains is the best option. If anyone reading this is a capeshit fan, I highly recommend you read Kingdom Come, the DC series. A bit heavy-handed, but overall a great read.
>>
>>49661461
Missing target on the last ability.
>>
>>49661446
In many cases, putting the card on top of their library is actually better than just throwing it in the graveyard a good amount of time.

You both deny them a draw and you know what they are drawing. It's like a double tempo play.
>>
File: Grant Emerson Damage.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grant Emerson Damage.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>49661518
Thanks.
>>
>>49660925
Would play
>>
File: Seaside Citadel.jpg (125KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Seaside Citadel.jpg
125KB, 750x1046px
>>
>>49662323
Since it can't bounce itself, this is a perfectly safe turn 1 play.
>>
>>49662323
This is one of those mtgcardsmith.com cards, right?
>>
File: Esthera Galvanomagus.png (269KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Esthera Galvanomagus.png
269KB, 375x523px
>>49659801
>I can understand why it would be so disheartening to feel like you were great then just fell down, and lost everything you had before. But you have to try, or you're never going to get back up again.
I was never "good" and especially not "great". To be realistic, I was passable. I could convey concepts. Maybe the costing was off or it needed to be adjusted somehow but it made sense more often than not. To be told "what the fuck is this mess?" after coming back more than a few times was jarring. Couple that with RL frustrations... yadda yadda sob story nobody cares about. Point is, I just figured it was riding a bike and it isn't. Put me off. But I'll give it another shot. Might even have fun.

Here's a reworked version of something I made then tossed back up after the revamp. Honestly I think I should get away from crazy mythics and try to make uncommons and commons more. Basics and all that.
>>
>>49660413
I never posted cool shit, but it was okay shit sometimes some people liked. Which was fine by me; average is never a bad place to be because you don't have to live up to too many expectations but by the same token you never have to worry about what you do being subpar either. It's comfy.

There are far and away way more creative people here than me, and I am more than okay with that.
>>
File: Swallow Reversal.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Swallow Reversal.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>49662893
I just post cards and post feedback and if people don't respond, cool, whatever. I do this as an exercise in my own creativity, not necessarily a wank for (You)s, as nice as they are.

>card
Too cheap? "Destroy target attacking or blocking creature" is 3W, so this might be better at 2W?
>>
File: Bisect.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bisect.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>49663011
Alternative wording that probably makes more sense
>Choose target creature you control. Destroy each creature blocking it or blocked by it, then return it to its owner’s hand.

>card
More Youmu.
>>
File: Arthur Curry Aquaman10.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Arthur Curry Aquaman10.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
New Aquaman since I haven't tried him again it a while. Flavor: You know how he talks to fish, right? Turns out it's a form of low-level telepathy. And he can use it on other animals too. Like humans, and in this case, other players.

>>49662869
>Esthera, Gluteusmagnus
You should use a color indicator if she is colored. The mana restriction is kinda interesting, obviously it wants to play with mana rocks. As for the activated abilities, I don't really like how two of them rely on your opponents having artifacts. I feel like they should all have the potential at least to be used by you, do you get what I mean? Which seems especially odd in something that screams "put me in an artifact deck for EDH", so I really feel like it should benefit you for using artifacts, just as the mana restriction does. Like, maybe with Red, sure you could use it to give your artifact creatures Haste, but maybe it could be some sort of artifact creature focused firebreathing, and White could be artifact flicker or something. The Blue ability seems spot-on though.

>Honestly I think I should get away from crazy mythics and try to make uncommons and commons more. Basics and all that.
Wow, you're pretty much the opposite of me. Tried my hand at a few sets, and the commons and uncommons just bored me to tears. I'm not against them, per se, but doing a lot of them together just kills my interest. The mechanical complexity I tend towards almost always belongs in rare or mythic. I actually got kinda upset recently that some anons said some cards I was designing for uncommon actually belong at rare. But stuff like that just happens.

>>49663028
I get what you're going for in this card, but what utility does it really have besides killing 1/1's? Eh, probably just not seeing it.
>>
File: Render Harmless.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Render Harmless.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>49663028
I guess I can technically say this is for the thread theme, but your card kinda reminded me of this.
>>
File: Hired Muscle.jpg (97KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hired Muscle.jpg
97KB, 752x523px
1) I know the name Hired Muscle is already taken, I have no idea what to name it

2) Is */* better as formatted or 0/0 with "~ gets +1/+1 for each +1/+1 counter on it" I feel like the former is a bit clearer but the latter is much shorter.
>>
Rolled 7, 7, 4 = 18 (3d10)

>>49656128
I want to try!
>>
File: Leg Sweep.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Leg Sweep.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>49663071
>I get what you're going for in this card, but what utility does it really have besides killing 1/1's? Eh, probably just not seeing it.
Well, its not really removal, more of a combat trick, letting you turn fat creatures into moderately sized creatures to make your trades better. Against X/3s and bigger, its a better Disfigure, but I suppose Disfigure is great precisely because it can kill bears.

>card
Find art, make card, realize its a shitty concept, repeat.
>>
>>49663120
A R Legacy staple enchantment? Shit.
>>
Rolled 2, 9, 6, 7, 10 = 34 (5d10)

>>49663102
I've never been a fan of P/T modifiers based on P/T counters. Maybe make Johnny 4/4 and it has
>When this creature transforms into ~, put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is its power.
Or just say it doubles the number of +1/+1 counters on it.

Hmm, this reminds me that I need to update a somewhat similar card of my own.

>>49663120
I might as well roll again too.
>>
>>49663133
Just change which numbers go to which categories.
>>
>>49663137
>Or just say it doubles the number of +1/+1 counters on it.
This would be the clearest option but it becomes so much more wordier considering there is no "double" definition. I would have to word it as "Put X +1/+1 on ~ where X is the amount of +1/+1 counters on ~." along with the transform trigger.

If I give Johnny a high p/t to begin with, I kind of lose what I want to do mechanically with him which is to hedge the advantages of transforming whenever you want and maybe chill on the bulking side a bit longer
>>
>>49663011
Christ I hope I wasn't doing it for (you)s... if I was then fuck that and fuck me. I mean it's nice to get feedback, but... well yeah I can see how my not-so-little rant earlier would lead someone to think that I was a (you)tard. I can't even defend myself from that.

>Swallow Reversal
Aside from the completely loaded cardname, it gustcloaks then destroys, so yeah, it should be pricier than just regular white combat removal because of the added utility of saving your creature in case they are trying to do something to it in addition to getting the destroy effect. I mean your creature is at little to no risk of dying if you cast this, so it should be spendier. Maybe 2WW? Also, I think the wording needs to be changed because since you are bouncing the creature, the creatures that it was blocking or blocked by are not those creatures anymore I don't think, so you might need to alter the tense to get it to work. >>49663028 has some good thoughts on that.

>>49663071
>mfw Aquaman used to be able to shut people's lower brains down because of his powers
I don't think I really care for it. It's not something a broad swathe of people would relate to regarding Aquaman. They know he talks to fish, so at least add something like that in there. Like maybe he gains hexproof if you control three or more Fish, Serpants, Octopi, Leviathans, etc etc?

>Esthera, Gluteusmagnus
I like big butts and I cannot lie. Plus it was the most "artifact magus" looking art I had.

>color indicator
Probably, yeah. I forgot to put that in there.

>abilities
I get what you mean, but I also have a ton of room restrictions given the number of lines the card already expects, so I'll have to see what I can come up with. I never was happy with the white ability; it's too bland. I'll mess with it some more when I come up with an idea.

>commons and uncommons
I actually prefer to design them since they are so integral to Limited, which, next to Kitchen Table/Pauper, is my favorite format.
>>
>>49663165
Wait, no im wrong. Apparently there is a "double" definition. I'll just do that instead then
>>
>>49663137
>2, 9, 6, 7, 10
OK, so, a Blue, land, voltron/buff, CMC 4, mythic rare card? Um, I'll try?
>>
File: Gushing Impulse.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gushing Impulse.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>49663168
>completely loaded cardname
Y'lost me. Is it loaded because its weeb (because it is, and I am, and many of my cards are) or is it loaded because of some other reason. I hope its not "snerk snerk, swallow, hehehe" because that's the first thing my juvenile mind goes to.

Bumped up the cost to 1WW. Typically "returning a creature to hand" is costed as a downside , even if its actually an upside in the right situation (see Familiar's Ruse in Faeries, Kor Skyfisher in Pauper). Its also a usage restriction, since you can't cast it on an empty board. Although because this is inverted in the sense of targets, it dodges a lot of protective measures. Makes it sort of hard to cost, I guess.

>>49663175
Good luck with that CMC4 land, I guess?

>card
Slap together the names of two blue cards, make it a red card!
>>
>>49663168
>Aquaman
Yeah, good point. My problem with the Ula's Temple types is that they're not the most common, and I'd like Aquaman to be able to do stuff on his own. Maybe he can make Fish tokens or something?

>abilities
For White, maybe make an artifact Indestructible? Spawn an artifact token?
>>
File: Auramancers Sanctum.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Auramancers Sanctum.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>49663225
>>49663175
OK, here's... this...
>>
>>49659091
>Realize that it could potentially deal infinite damage to a player with an infinite sac engine a la Krenko
Dude, that infinite is really not too scary. That's easily fair.
>>49654378
>>49654367
Fortify could also be useful if the use of the fortification depended heavily on the attributes of the land you fortified.
>>49654192
Transfigure is OK for GB if you don't think of anything else. There's not much else though. I think you shouldn't get into the trap of thinking every color combo/archetype needs a literal rules mechanic associated with it. They just need an obvious mechanical identity.
>>
>>49663272
I'd have it scry or loot or something. Maybe Scry X, where X is the number of permanents attached to target creature you control. Even if its not a straight combat advantage, its still arguably voltron-based. Caring about Auras is unusual for blue, but pumping things is waaaay outta color.
>>
File: Dakmor Warlock.png (259KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dakmor Warlock.png
259KB, 375x523px
>>49663225
1WW might be okay; you have a point about restricted use.

And yes, it was "snerk snerk swallow hehehe". What can I say, I never grew up even when I became a responsible adult. I feel sorry for anyone who did.

>Gushing Impulse
I dunno if this could be cheaper or not; it feels like it could. To cast, I mean. RR might be okay here.

>>49663237
>Aquaman
Point. I didn't mean to take away any of his current abilities though, just add to them. He could also make fish tokens or something. You could even give a nod to Merfolk too in his tribal lovins.

>abilities
I actually did just that with the white ability, then streamlined the red one in a way that I think still works as it already did but just has less word count. Will post the changes next post.
>>
>>49663296
Well, it is Voltron. Maybe it can rearrange what Auras you control are attached to what? Like
>Attach to target creature any number of Auras you control that could enchant it.
>>
>>49663308
>Aquaman
I'll think about it, though just adding might make the card too cluttered.

>Dakmor Warlock
Interesting. Though have you thought about it pulling Swamps out of the graveyard?

Oh, and speaking of card names, how did you not comment on Gushing Impulse? C'mon, that's just begging to get mocked.
>>
File: Esthera Galvanomagus.png (268KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Esthera Galvanomagus.png
268KB, 375x523px
>>49663355
>swamps from the yard
Could be nice, but I'd imagine it'd be cheaper to do that than from the hand?

>Gushing Impulse
Hey who's the comedian here, me or you?
>>
File: Dreams Sand Pouch.jpg (59KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dreams Sand Pouch.jpg
59KB, 375x523px
>>49663394
Looks much better now. Still not entirely sure about the Red ability, though I guess it fits in showing that she's a master of artifacts.

I do think the ability should be only slightly cheaper for recurring from the graveyard, since it still pumps the creature and ramps.

I'll think more about Aquaman. I've actually done Merfolk tokens before, but I was never really happy with how they came out. Every time, the finished card could be mono-White if it weren't for the creature types, and that bugs me.
>>
>>49663272
This is white. Or green. Probably white.

Yes I know lands are colorless you know what the fuck I mean
>>
File: Penetrate.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Penetrate.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>49663355
>>49663394
:^)
>>
>>49663461
Yeah I figured red = offensive ability with a bit of utility, white = defensive ability with a really niche ability to prevent artifact saccing (I think?) and blue being the neutral one that lets you either use it offensively or defensively by enabling more removal types to get rid of something pesky. Glad it worked out.

>pouch
So the lockingest lockdown that ever locked? Probably fine at 3.

>>49663530
Now you're just doing it on purpose. Card might actually need to cost 2R.
>>
File: Z.jpg (220KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
Z.jpg
220KB, 1125x523px
alright I put together a cycle with it. Not a fan of the red one, so ideas are welcome.
>>
>>49663572
>Card might actually need to cost 2R.
That's lunge (except an instant)
>>49663598
Wild ideas is pretty different from the other 2 in that the main effect is the splash colors.
>>
>>49663626
>Wild ideas is pretty different from the other 2 in that the main effect is the splash colors.
Ye I feel you. I don't just want to make it a boring burn spell or whatever. Will take some thought. I like the template though, so once a solid red design lands for it it'll be great.
>>
File: Wild Ideas.png (292KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Wild Ideas.png
292KB, 375x523px
>>49663598
maybe something like this. I mean it's basically the same thing but it fits the cycle better.
>>
File: Mugen.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mugen.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>49663572
>Now you're just doing it on purpose.
I actually had all of these cards lying around prior to this conversation. But I'll admit that I posted it on purpose.

Last card of the night. The most stalliest stall that ever stalled.
>>
>>49663626
True, I missed that yours was a sorcery. Also Lunge can deal damage to any player not just that creature's controller, so yours is more limited.

>>49663598
>>49663646
You could make the card impulse draw into a white or blue effect too.
>>
>>49663739
>You could make the card impulse draw into a white or blue effect too.
Impulse is more of an uncommon+ mechanic than a common one. Possible, though.
>>
File: Alec the Fake Life.png (294KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Alec the Fake Life.png
294KB, 375x523px
what a shitty idea
>>
File: Forward Progress.png (291KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Forward Progress.png
291KB, 375x523px
>>49663893
and the shitty idea just inspired an entire plane of shitty ideas. Oh look a new rabbit hole! Oh boy!
>>
File: Thief of Intentions.png (277KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thief of Intentions.png
277KB, 375x523px
>>49663745
Nah, you could do it at common if it just impulsed one card. They have been restricting it to rare and uncommon because people aren't used to it yet. You'll see it at common soon enough.

>>49663893
Only cause it comes off as kinda wonky.

Speaking of wonky, actually awful ideas... I know I said no more rares for a while but this has to be rare, I don't really have a choice. I don't dictate why ideas pop into my head; I just make them into cards. Costing and everything else is probably way wrong. I did my best on the wording.
>>
File: Z.jpg (250KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
Z.jpg
250KB, 1125x523px
I went ahead and done did it. A new set begins!

Now, if only I could finish the other 5 ideas...
>>
>>49664044
>Primordial Beast
So... new creature type?

Also I'm not sure Genesis is a good idea; it basically forces you to draft nothing but Genesis cards to make them useful. Also, they will all have to be so expensive that the card advantage isn't gonna be worth it because the effects have to be limited due to the tutor effect, which means whatever you fetch isn't gonna be that good. That's not to say you can't work with the idea, I just dunno about it as-is.
>>
>>49664068
Just a mechanical groundwork to the set's themes of dun dun dun

The Sci-Fi plane! But also not. Dealing with science fiction themes in a fantasy setting (Artificial intelligence, among other things).
>>
>>49664044
>for a card with a different name that has genesis
>>
File: Doctrine of Flame.png (310KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Doctrine of Flame.png
310KB, 375x523px
>>49664135
>how comfortable would people be with creating an entire new zone just for one keywor
>~special snowflake~
I think you already know the answer to that question.
>>
File: Curse Whisperer.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Curse Whisperer.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49664180
Think it runs too much into the arcane problem.
>>
File: Impatience.png (347KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Impatience.png
347KB, 375x523px
r8 h8
>>
>>49663598
These still strike me as uncommon. Also, are you doing this for each wedge? And just how much of this set have you actually planned out?
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (231KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
2Q==.jpg
231KB, 1125x523px
>>49665058
>Also, are you doing this for each wedge?
No, different wedges have different cycles. I want each faction to be clearly different from each other. Pic related as an example of a different faction.

>And just how much of this set have you actually planned out?
Full skeleton is basically complete (I tweak it very slightly on occasion, but no more than one or two slots at a time). Fitting cards into the skeleton takes time, of course, and finding the right designs is the challenge.
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (319KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
2Q==.jpg
319KB, 1875x523px
>>49665058
>>49665146
To elaborate, the set has no 5-color cycles. Instead if has "Mini cycles" of 3 colors that fit into wedges. The only full cycles at common are mana fixing artifacts + lands that cover the full spectrum.
>>
>>49663971
Putting some of the cards back strikes me as needless, especially when the choice is random, you might as well only exile the top. At rare, all I can think about is how it compares to Grenzo, which isn't really fair, but the mechanic doesn't work at uncommon. And the "any time you could cast an instant" part seems a bit odd. I mean, after combat, you'll have another main phase to cast sorceries.

Maybe instead of library, it exiles a card from the opponent's hand at random, and you get to impulse that.
>>
>>49663598
The color of law and tradition being the choice for "New Ideas" strikes me as odd
>>
File: Ambush Replacements.jpg (128KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ambush Replacements.jpg
128KB, 750x523px
After some feedback on my Athnahr set, I'm working on updating Ambush into a mechanic that isn't just "worse flash." Thoughts on this iteration?
>>
File: auramancer's guise.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
auramancer's guise.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>49663296
I think it is too powerful, but to be fair, pic related shows that blue has cared about auras in the past, as well as pumped using them. I would still certainly call it the exception rather than anything else, but it certainly is possible.
>>
>>49666980
Well, the name's already taken. For the creature side, you might run into problem with planeswalkers, but it at least works. Actually, this reminds me a lot of Traps from Zendikar.

Anyway, if instant-speed isn't a must-have, I'd honestly suggest trying a non-tribal version of Prowl. Like, you could have
>2RW
>Ambush 1RW (You may cast this for its ambush cost if you dealt combat damage to a player this turn with a creature.)
>Create three 1/1 red and white Soldier creature tokens with haste. If ~'s ambush cost was paid, create five of those tokens instead.

>>49667105
Er, well, while I did use that card as inspiration, I was really cutting corners trying to come up with an idea. Yeah, Blue does aura and enchantment interactions, but look at that card's expansion symbol. That really hurts any argument that uses it for the color pie.
>>
File: Mother Box9.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mother Box9.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>49666980
>>49666980
Actually, now that I think about it, did you do bonuses for paying the cost with your old mechanic? I'm sorry I don't remember, I honestly didn't look at your set too much or give you a lot of feedback because I knew most of my criticisms were really aimed more at the set as a whole rather than the individual cards, which isn't really useful feedback, in my opinion. And I don't want to eat up the bump limit and waste people's time if I don't think it's actually going to contribute to anything.
>>
>>49667122
Yeah. It would likely be better to make it use a scry effect based on auras. Idea for a sorcery/instant though "Choose target creature an opponent controls. It gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of auras on target creature you control."
Nice blue voltron effect.
>>
>>49667197
What? Dude, that's not Blue at all, that's straight-up Black. Really, only Black gets -N/-N effects. Blue only ever gets -N/-0 effects. Notice that Blue only makes creatures less powerful, it can't kill them with that effect directly.

Though I have been playing with the idea of
>Attach to target creature any number of Auras you control.
>>
>>49667286
thats what I meant, sorry. I'm tired and sick, and I put an extra X by accident.
>>
Just realized they switched the wording from directly referencing P/T to saying base power and toughness

I get why... but man that is ugly
>>
>>49667343
It's to make it clear that it's only the P/T of the creature card/token itself that's getting set, and that counters, auras, equipment, and other buffs still work normally.
>>
File: Ancestors Teachings.png (1009KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Ancestors Teachings.png
1009KB, 750x1046px
Flava Flav.
>>
>>49667427
>For each creature card exiled with ~, enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has all activate abilities of that card.
Is, I think, the most concise way of putting it.

Also, you're inconsistent with "type" and "creature type"
>>
File: Cultmaster Dragon.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cultmaster Dragon.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>49668116
That's different. The creature gets +1/+1 for each that remains in the graveyard. It's a pick and choose sorta thing.
>>
File: Ætherborn Muse.png (826KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Ætherborn Muse.png
826KB, 750x1046px
>>49668116
I noticed after posting; should be: "exile any number of cards in your gy that share a creature type." And that effect is not the same; it's either +1/+1 or exile + abilities.

>>49668498
Reminds me a lot of Prossh, not sure if I like that ;_;
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1875x523px
Alright, so for my Tribal allied-colored block, I wanted a cycle of lords with non-generic effects. so I came up with these.

I'm still not sure for some of them. I think Armsmaster maybe should be fight instead of just dealing damage, and Treeshaper makes me slightly wary of what could happen. beside that, I think they look fine.
>>
>>49668737
whoops, I wanted ''Another human creature...'' my bad
>>
Nothing to do with /ccg/.

Here. Made an item for a TTRPG. What do you think?

H’la Hourglass (weight ½, unique)
Crawling in desperation in an ocean of burning sand, an orphaned baby found a crystalline pearl. The lustrous stone gave the baby shelter, nurture, warmth, and virtuosity in whatever the child needed. Little is known in this legend about the baby’s adulthood; only that when its mortal life was ending, the now elder creature made a pilgrimage. It sculpted this pearl into the shape of a minute hourglass, grinding the inside of the pearl to make the translucent grit that tells not time, but possibilities. A single grain that’s the purest of prisms can sometimes be seen flowing among the variegated shining whites of the sands in it. Stories recall this object as being able to can turn past into future, cold into hot, night into day, and even death into life.
>>
>>49669235
I'm sorry Kazy, but this description ises a lot of words but doesn't say a whole lot.
>TL;DR Very powerful, very mysterious.
The description may as well read "McGuffin" since that's probably how it's going to be used.
>>
>>49669235
>>49669445
In fact, I'd say it's important to keep descriptions short. They should sum up what the thing does or why it's important in just a few sentences. Especially when you have players just remembering things rather than write everything down or having to refer to a large manual.
>>
>>49668737
I dislike that you have three racial Lords (humans, goblins, and elves) and two class Lords (rogues and barbarians). It makes balancing a lot harder because, for example the Barbarian and Rogue Lords are both Humans, so they benefit from the Human Lord but not vice versa.
>>
File: yeet.png (961KB, 1127x529px) Image search: [Google]
yeet.png
961KB, 1127x529px
Just dropping some planeswalkers from the chinese set, let me know if any seem to strong or weak in comparison to each other.
>>
>>49667122
>name
Damn. I'll change it
>Prowl
The problem with that is that prowl functions best as a cost reduction, which runs contrary to my set's mechanical themes. I'd like to make the ability as presented work.
>>
File: Grazzit.png (353KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grazzit.png
353KB, 375x523px
I made this as a joke during a MtG inspired D&D campaign, no idea if it's balanced or not.
>>
>>49670526
Woooordinnnng. Leaving power level concerns to those better at it than I.
>Gou'rou
>+2: Up to one target creature you control must be blocked this turn if able.
>+1: Return target creature you control to your hand. You gain life equal to its converted mana cost.
>-1: Until end of turn, ~ becomes an Elephant Warrior creature a with power and toughness each equal to the number of loyalty counters on him and gains trample and indestructible. He's still a planeswalker.
Note that if he receives damage as a creature, he'll lose loyalty counters. Make sure you prevent the damage if this isn't intentional. See Gideon, Champion of Justice.

>Gu-Wen
>+2: You may sacrifice a creature. If you do, destroy target creature.
>0:~ deals 2 damage to each creature or each player.
>-6: Draw two cards. You get an emblem with "Creatures you control have diseased."
Whatever diseased it. Also, Drawing cards on the ult seems superfluous. Also, this ults in one turn, which, depending on what Diseased is, could be a little much.

>Kai
>+1: Up to one target creature you control gains prowess until end of turn.
>-3: ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player. You may activate this ability on any player's turn any time you could cast an instant.
>-6: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control have prowess, flying, and vigilance."

General notes:
Damage needs a source. Always. This is like, rule fucking #1.
Keywords aren't capitalized if they wouldn't be capitalized in normal English.
Plusses are designed to be available on an empty board, which is why they're typically "up to one" if they would require a creature target.
>>
>>49667166
No problem, man. I knew that you didn't like some of the mechanical directions I decided to go, and I'm sure it was pretty clear that I didn't intend to deviate from those themes. I respect the fact that you chose to say nothing rather than re-voicing your disagreement every time I posted.

That said, have you had a chance to look at the finished product? I'd be curious to hear your opinion on various aspects of the set now, rather than from the standpoint of a set in-development.
>>
>>49669445
>Not saying a whole lot/Mcguffin
I know that you didn't mean it in a positive(/objective) way, but that's exactly what I was going for. I wanted a really open ended artifact, with just a vague description of what it does.

>>49669593
Hm, as a general rule I'd agree; but for artifacts and the like, I'd even say the opposite is preferable. Forgetting and misremembering bits adds to the tale, even as a player. Legends are always changed when raconteuring them.

For myths and the sorts on TTRPGs, I can see many people thinking it takes away the purpose of writing, or even that since it's not exactly what the PC heard, it deteriorates the campaign.

>>49670837
>Cardsmith
Burn in hell.

That said; should be legendary, and:
> [2R], T: Put the top two cards from your library into your graveyard: Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.

It's way more powerful than you think, but I don't know, I don't think it's totally broken. Going by Past in Flames, you'd need to nerf it somehow.

Also, changed the cards from cost to effect, because it looks neater.
>>
File: test.jpg (143KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
143KB, 750x523px
Been kicking around an idea for a winter holiday cube. Some new cards, some reprints, maybe custom backs.

I'd like to have flavorful mechanics, like renaming Clues into Presents and putting them into play under an opponent's control.

Input? Thoughts?
>>
>>49656128
Rolling all there is to roll. How strictly I'll follow it depends, but why not.
>>
Rolled 7, 10, 1, 5, 10 = 33 (5d10)

>>49671207
Rolling? Didn't know you were case sensitive, options field.
>>
>>49671196
On a scale of Black to Silver, how jolly/silly do you intend this to be?
>>
>>49671168
Yeah, I just did it in a couple of minutes, and cardsmith was the first thing that popped up on google.

I didn't think it was overly powerful, but I guess I messed up on the wording, making it target instant or sorcery card would probably bring it in line.

Also, how would you feel about an enchantment that read "Whenever another permanent becomes the target of a spell, remove it from the game. Any player may pay 5 life to put a token which is a copy of that permanent into play under their control."
I want a new un-set so badly
>>
>>49671196
I actually quite like it. I'd like it even more if you'd own the Fruitcake, but rules say no.

>>49671283
Having it being a single card would certainly tone it down. In that case, remove the targeting, so you can choose cards put into your graveyard as the card's effect.

>Other card
I think that'd be terrible. I'm getting you want some politics game, but it'd be just better to be able to Dash Hopes the ability, rather than creating copy tokens.
>>
>>49671225
More Black than Silver, but I'd want it to be pretty jovial.
>>
>>49671333
Reminds me of a dream I had about a silver and black bordered duel deck called "Naughty vs. Nice". The foil cards were Geist of Saint Nick and Pumpkin King. Fun to play, but the Rakdos Pumpkin King deck felt underpowered against the Naya Geist deck.
>>
>>49671323
I was more hoping for it to just devolve into pointless hilarity, note the spoiler. Maybe lower/remove the cost and just have everything multiply. Could have a name like "Lost & Found & Found & Found" or something along those lines.
>>
>>49671427
Geist of Saint Nick... clever. Might have to steal that from you
>>
File: Happy Holidays.jpg (697KB, 1560x890px) Image search: [Google]
Happy Holidays.jpg
697KB, 1560x890px
>>49671196
Wait, do people not know about this?
>>
>>49671539
>10 cards
>enough to cube with

of course these will go in, but theyre not enough
>>
>>49670269
Sadly, those two tribes are the way they are.

I also designed it in a way that you can benefit from it, but you need a 3 color or 4 color decks to benefit, which isn't exactly fantastic, and I don't have that ridiculous mana-base in the set, so it shouldn't too bad of a problem.
>>
Rolled 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 4 = 24 (6d10)

>>49671220
>Favorite Color
Uh, I don't really have a favorite lone color, and I've got different favorites for 2-3 colors... What else?
>Planeswalker
Jesus thunderfucking christ, the one card type I can never get right. Challenge mode gives me a +1, a -0, and a -2... dear god.
>Mechanic
Card advantage. Sure.
>CMC
3. That's... this might actually work?
>least favorite archetype
That's... lockdown control card advantage 3-drop with -1, 0, and -2, using a preferred group of colors. What the flying fu-

All right, here's an attempt. I doubt it's balanced, but at least it sticks to a single archetype. I really hate making planeswalkers, I thought having more parameters set in stone would make my life easier but it just made things more difficult.

I cheated a little- Esper's not my favorite per se, but their two-color components are all fine. Constant lifegain-based taxation is one of my least favorite types to run up against, but I'd certainly play this (especially after rebalancing it's abilities to have more sensible costs and probably the CMC too.)

Rollan again. Feel free to give me feedback and tips, though it's unlikely this is ever going in a set or anything.
>>
File: Marli Grand Imbezzler.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Marli Grand Imbezzler.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>49671622
One of these days I'll stop forgetting shit.
>>
>>49671740
What's an imbezzler?
>>
>>49671802
It's a person who steals money from their own company/organization. It's a super common white collar crime, and if you manage to do it for long enough companies often won't press charges out of embarrassment
>>
>>49671851
You mean embezzler.
>>
>>49671851
That's funny, I thought that was called "embezzling". I have no idea what "imbezzling" is.
>>
File: By Fates Hand.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
By Fates Hand.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
Rolled 8, 10, 6, 2, 8, 6 = 40 (6d10)

>>49671622
Okay, so this time, a white removal instant with CMC 3 that's a... legacy staple... oh.
Fucking hell, I don't play legacy. Or know anything the fuck about it. Uh.

Here you go. It's a thing, just, take it, I don't even.
>>
File: Nameless Vagabond.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Nameless Vagabond.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
A Red-White...
>Planeswalker
>Voltron/Buff
>2 CMC
>Rare
>Johnny

Oh hell no. I'll take RW Voltron for 2CMC at Rare, though. I already did a walker and I'm no good with combo.

Have this.
>>
>>49671427
>Pumpkin King
That makes me want to do some Halloween-related cards. Maybe I'll make that the subject of the next thread.
>>
File: Time Portal.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Time Portal.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Made this for combo players, how broken is it?
>>
>>49673420
Insanely, skipping your next turn doesn't matter if you win on the spot.
>>
>>49673472
I thought so
>>
>>49673420
>You may skip your next two turns rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
>Search your library for 2 cards then put them into your hand.
>End the turn.
>>
File: Ambush Options.jpg (304KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Ambush Options.jpg
304KB, 750x1046px
Okay guys, which version of this mechanic is preferable and why?
>>
>>49671168
Kazy, even then, I think you can get the same effect with fewer words. I mean, "cryptic" and "long-winded" don't really go together. I think a sorta Dark Souls style approach would be better. Here, I'll try a few descriptions, to sorta get across what I think it should be
>As you hold the tiny hourglass in your hand, you feel... uplifted, somehow. Injury and hunger no longer bother you, and your mind is filled with knowledge that once seemed beyond your grasp.

>As you peer into the hourglass, you begin to see all the possibilities of your life flash before your eyes. As deepen your gaze, visions of all the infinite possibilities in the world flood your feeble mind. You quickly put the hourglass away again, fearing what it contains.

>They say the hourglass was found by a baby in the desert. It provided for him, and he soon outgrew his peers in all respects, and one day, he outgrew mortality itself. Others say the hourglass holds sway over reality itself, turning the past into future, and life into death. Who knows the truth?
>>
>>49673601
Is the wording on the top right one correct? It seems really, really weird. The version on the left is better, in any case.
>>
>>49673649
It's reminder text. The version on the left is similar, but basically boils down to bad flash, which feels more boring than I'd like.
>>
>>49673662
I know it's reminder text, but the one on the top right is honestly confusing. The mechanic as a whole is just a more restrictive flash, and so is just sort of blah.
>>
>>49671161
Honestly, I have not looked at the completed set yet. Honestly, I'm really bad when it comes to looking at sets when they leave the threads. Like, I like good cards, but I guess it's just more interesting for me to be in the design process with others. That said, I will look at the set and let you know what I think about its various aspects.
>>
>>49673662
You should not design mechanics that works differently on permanents or nonpermanents
>>
>>49673610
I like the third one the most, by a lot, I want it to be as vague as it can be, it's not only how I want it to be, but how the system works, Mcguffins and single-pivoted plothooks are the way to go. That said, i just feel that a morsel of text makes anything, as seminal as it may or may not be, sound irrelevant. The text doesn't come alive as you read it.

>>49673601
Top right isn't confusing, top right makes a creature you control that's blocking become blocked by the creature that just etb'd. Which is impossible. It's erroneously worded.
>>
File: Infernal Sacrifice.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Infernal Sacrifice.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Desert Rebel.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Desert Rebel.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>49673704
The version on the right puts the creature onto the battlefield attacking or blocking (based on how and what triggered the ability), and so is more than just flash. Does eliminating the extra symbols, like so, help clear it up a bit?
>>49673738
The wording is supposed to indicate that the Ambush creature blocks the same creature as your other blocking creature, Brimaz style. Perhaps I used too much shorthand in the reminder text.
>>
>>49673785
It's more confusion over the second sentence in the reminder. I get what it does, but having two different nameless creatures to refer to and using "that creature" just seems ambiguous. Also, this may be intentional but since it doesn't ETB tapped and attacking, it grants a weird psuedo-vigilance.
>>
File: Set Ablaze.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Set Ablaze.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49673826
As written does nothing, since cards never have controllers. Permanents are just "nonbasic lands", not "nonbasic land cards".
>>
>>49673846
>Permanents are just "nonbasic lands", not "nonbasic land cards".
Thank you, I missed that.
>>
>>49673817
I felt that "tapped and attacking that player or blocking that creature" made the tapped/untapped status of the creature really ambiguous. Do you have suggestions for an alternate wording?
>>
File: Grove Mender.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grove Mender.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>
Rolled 8, 6, 3, 4, 4 = 25 (5d10)

>>49656128
>>
>>49674443
Utterly broken.
>>
>>49674472
How Utterly?
>>
>>49674504
Did you really think it's ok to have 3/5 for 3 mana (light on color) and on top of that, the ability to untap all your lands?
>>
>>49674504
"Tap two untapped creatures you control: Add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool" is enough to catapult Elves to a mana-generating combo machine, so what do you think happens when you can turn three creatures into 3 or more mana?
>>
File: Alshain.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Alshain.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>49674544
>>49674524
Nothing makes me laugh harder than a really stupid broken card. The worse the quality the better.
>>
File: --.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
--.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>49674631
Here
>>
File: 1473297319523.jpg (733KB, 791x1107px) Image search: [Google]
1473297319523.jpg
733KB, 791x1107px
>>49674631
Because Auras target, they need "Can't be countered by spells or abilities." The idea of Legendary Super Aura isn't totally unsalvageable, if you're posting an example of "really stupid broken card."
>>
File: Stormwind Efreet.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Stormwind Efreet.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>49674448
what's a legacy?
>>
>>49674732
The once per turn doesn't work as leaving the battlefield resets it.
>>
>>49674748
derp
>>
File: Thief of Intentions.png (270KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thief of Intentions.png
270KB, 375x523px
>>49665252
I was mainly worried about the power level of exiling that many cards, especially if you buff her power, but I forgot Grimoire Thief getting away with three cards at UU. I changed her to take your suggestion into account, and keep a bit of what I had going as well so there's still some library damage going on as well. Thoughts? Less wordy now too which makes it easier to look at and understand.

>>49666980
Well, the right one is still just a worse flash. The right one would work better if you just had it ETB attacking and not specifying for simplicity's sake. The blocking stuff needs to be the same though. I mean, why would all the surprise troops have to attack the same thing? Makes for a tricksy play when you can swing at a player, then ambush to nail his PW too. So I guess my vote is left with some re-jiggering to simplify/make it more flexible.

>>49667166
Man, I just keep thinking that reducing the cost of spells is too much with this; it can make some pretty rad artifacts free in a few turns. But I also agree that it becomes clunkier when you fiddle with it, and less intuitive.

>>49667427
Wording suggestion:
>exile FROM graveyard
>Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard that shares a type with it, and has all activated and triggered abilities of creature cards exiled with ~.

that said, I kinda like it.

>>49668498
This amuses me greatly. I love the combination.

>>49668567
I feel like this needs to be changed to say "if that spell is countered this way" so the Muse doesn't get the counters if the spell isn't countered. "If you do" might be too ambiguous but I could be wrong.

>>49668737
I have to echo >>49670269's sentiments here; lords should be focused on the same things across the board for both clarity and balance concerns. Meeting player expectations when designing as set is as important as making it functional. This kind of discordant design can throw Limited experience off.
>>
>>49671161
>>49673718
Huh, why did you use the SHIFT+ENTER trick on some cards but not on others? Like, I notice a few times in order to avoid clipping, you put a bunch of spaces at the end of flavor text.

Sense of Grandeur seems like it could be an interesting political tool. Most times this card would just be an enchantment that applies to you, but I like the possibility of playing around with it. Yeah, I'm a fan of EDH, surprise surprise.

Consult the Scholars needs to exile itself. Period. Otherwise if you have enough mana, it forms an infinite loop if you have multiple cards of it. Eh, maybe it can be put on the bottom of its owner's library instead, though. Wizards seems to be playing with that now.

Cleanse the Heretics feels pretty mono-White except for the ETB ability. Seems odd that it's in Black. Dark Reverence feels similarly torn.

I think Dissemination needs wording help, since you could cast it targeting a spell that doesn't target a creature.

Rebel Assault blows my mind. You have a keyword designed to basically give things Flash, and you don't use it on this card. I realize now that Assault is supposed to be lower than the mana cost of the card, but you are allowed to break your own rules. Like, not every card with Evoke has that cost lower than the mana cost.

You can't have Stoneweaver Savant give the lands Haste? Really?

Hand of Banu isn't a mythic, are you joking? It's exile recursion! That shit should be incredibly rare for a reason.

For Kethiri-Clan Blessing, I don't think it's worded properly. I'm guess X should be the CMC of the spell, but it says card, which could mean the CMC of the drawn card, but then you'd have to reveal it.

cont.
>>
>>49671161
>>49673718
>>49674930

Overall, I feel like the way you create cards to have synergy with your mechanics isn't very elegant. A good example are the spells that reduce costs if you've cast a spell with 5 or more mana. The original prices and their reductions are both so large they just scream "This is utter trash unless you follow my mechanic." It just seems very clumsy, very forced. In addition, the cards with Withdraw that have "When this is returned to its owner's hand" and the cards with Legacy and "When this is put into exile" make me roll my eyes. Again, it's just very forced. The mechanics should be done in such a way that the players want to use them, not because they're practically forced to. Oh, like with Fall of Idols, the fact that the X cost is nearly useless without triggering the keyword just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I admit, the fact that you can pump the X without getting the bonus to power up those other cards that care about spending 5 or more mana is pretty clever, but I still feel like it should do SOMETHING with that X that doesn't hinge on those mechanics.

Oh yeah, and the nonlegendary specification I saw on multiple cards just confused me. Why is it there?

And on a flavor level, I'm surprised you kept going with All-Seeing Eye, but never once brought up the Evil Eye. At least, as far as I can tell. But that's a very minor nitpick.
>>
File: Veteran Platoon.png (271KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
Veteran Platoon.png
271KB, 396x554px
What do you guys think of mine? I used MTG cardsmith.

Its for a little set I am making based around Not!England/1800's
>>
File: Surprise Volley.png (338KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
Surprise Volley.png
338KB, 396x554px
Another one.
>>
>>49674947
If you're going to design a card, let alone a set, at least do yourself the favor of downloading MSE.

The card itself is just... try to tone things down a little. Start small before you go big, otherwise you'll have no bearing on power levels. Though looking at the card, you may want to familiarize yourself with modern Magic design in general.
>>
File: Purifying Flame.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Purifying Flame.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49670837
Yeah, this guy wants to be a legend and his ability cost needs to be re-jiggered. Other than that, he's a cool concept.

>>49671740
I think the wording on the draw anthem could be changed to just make you and that player draw in a compulsory fashion; you don't lose much by going that route either.
>their
Stop that.
>+1
This feels too good. I feel like all this draw is going to be an easy road to abuse somehow, favoring the player of this PW heavily of course.
>-2
Conversely, this feels too weak. Also, it's "casts" as spell, not plays. You play cards, so that you can play lands, but you cast spells.

>>49671971
"Choose up to one target creature, and exile the rest. Return each creature exiled this way to the battlefield under it's owner's control at the beginning of the next end step." would be my advice here. I like the concept a lot though. Not sure on the costing; it's super-strong, especially in EDH for a commander damage win.

>>49672342
Did you go with super Prowess here so it wouldn't feel chinese menu?

>>49673601
Okay, out of these ones, top left is just bad flash, again. Top right needs wording work, as Kazy stated. And as I stated earlier, it could be redone to be simpler and work just fine, I think. Lower right is super simple, but again, just feels like crappy flash. I feel kinda bad having pointed that out to you in that giant wall of feedback I did, but I feel like it'd be disingenuous to just let it go too. I mean how would you feel if you got all done then printed them all up and looked at Ambush yourself and felt that way? I'd feel pretty shitty myself, so I let you know. I thought I explained it alright though; at least I hope I did.

>>49673742
"Exile target creature card from a graveyard that entered the graveyard this turn. Its owner loses life equal to its converted mana cost." I think.

>>49673826
"~ deals 2 damage to target player for each nonbasic land that player controls." Could also be "he or she" instead of that player.
>>
>>49674990
>responding to bait
>>
>>49671161
>>49673718
>>49674930
>>49674942
However, aside from these relatively minor details, I can't find anything just absurdly wrong with it. It seems like a fine set by itself, and the lore is interesting. While I think my own dislike for some of the core mechanics makes this hard for me to judge, I do think the things I mentioned before hold it back from being a great set. It's good, but not great.
>>
File: Agnard Kaltrar.png (257KB, 375x524px) Image search: [Google]
Agnard Kaltrar.png
257KB, 375x524px
>>49674990
Ok, any other advice?
>>
>>49672342
>it's another legendary creature with "nameless" in its name

>>49675124
Learn how cards are worded before you make them. READ, NIGGA! READ!
>>
File: Sublime Tutor.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sublime Tutor.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
MSE Paliano templates when
>>
>>49673738
>That said, i just feel that a morsel of text makes anything, as seminal as it may or may not be, sound irrelevant. The text doesn't come alive as you read it.
How's that? Like, is this just for lore? Because in media, some of the most emotionally intense moments can come from just a few words. Imagine the first time audiences heard Darth Vader say to Luke "I am your father!" Could you imagine how they reacted to that? It probably blew their minds, and it's all of four words long.

>>49674830
>Thief of Intentions
Wording is kinda wonky, but that's just a consequence of the ability. Maybe
>that player exiles the top card of his or her library face down, then exiles a card from his or her hand at random face down
Are you supposed to be able to look at the exiled cards and choose one you want to cast, or is it basically just random? Though I think I'm leaning towards exiling like normal and being able to play both cards. Eh, might be a bad idea though. It's kinda hard for me to stay objective because I actually really love the ability to play around with your opponent's cards, and I'm so glad Red got in on the action. You know what, I should be asking you what you want to do with the card. Tell me what how you want the card to turn out and I'll help get you there.

>Mother Box
Should I add some restriction to it? Like, there are wordings for abilities that make it so costs can't be reduced to less than 1.
>>
>>49675024
Seems okay, but I wasn't aware red got in on removing abilities. I thought that was white/blue territory. Did I miss a new card?

>>49675186
I know next to nothing about Conspiracy, but this feels incredibly broken.

>>49675321
I can reverse the exile order if it reads better, sure. The main goal of the card is to impulse draw an opponent's stuff, denying it to them, but much like abrupt invasions, what's there is left up to chance (random). And yeah, no peeking at the cards till you choose one, to keep it a surprise.

I had a thought: I could tack "spend mana as though it were mana of any color" since it's Grixis to make it a bit easier to use, since I want to keep the random nature intact.

>mombox
I'd make it unable to reduce things below a cost of 1, yeah. That'd help. Free is strong.
>>
>>49675492

>Seems okay, but I wasn't aware red got in on removing abilities. I thought that was white/blue territory. Did I miss a new card?

Nah. It mostly turns up on white/blue.

However, removing abilities is almost exclusively part of 'Transform into other stuff' cards which is very white/blue. Having it without transformation isn't territory that's been explored much. In this case it's more a combat trick/anti-protection.
>>
>>49675582
That's mostly because it removes p/t setting abilities.
>>
>>49675582
Well I have no way, basically for the reason you stated, to refute red getting it, and given the reason for it, more power to the card in general.

>card
A bit top-down, but I love designing black cards, particularly assassins, and particularly ones that are Nekrataal-likes. Since so many legends fly around these threads, the additional thing kinda stuck. Had to be rare though; I really need to avoid that.
>>
>>49675622

Oh yeah, I'm fully aware that it would run into:

>208.5. If a creature somehow has no value for its power, its power is 0. The same is true for toughness.

If you zap a creature with p/t setting.
>>
File: Lordsbane Assassin.png (301KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lordsbane Assassin.png
301KB, 375x523px
>>49675720
Fuck, that's the wrong version of the card (and seriously overpowered). Here we go. Forgot to re-export before uploading. Derp.
>>
>>49675805
It's still overpowered.
Compare it to Nekrataal and Noxious Gearhulk.
Maybe if it were /only/ legendary creatures, then maybe.
>>
File: exile.jpg (248KB, 1248x445px) Image search: [Google]
exile.jpg
248KB, 1248x445px
>>49675024
Stop trying to be special and just say it loses Indestructible until end of turn.

>>49675492
Well, it would probably be a lot better if we go over our options. I mentioned Grenzo before, so there's that. Another is Nightveil Specter, though it allows you to play the card for much longer. Daxos of Meletis is another even though it's WU. And we have Fiend of the Shadows, who is more expensive, but her ability is similar. So, one question I have for you is how long you want the card to be playable. Should it be just for a turn? Until your next turn? For as long as it remains exiled?

>>49675720
Holy god. Dude, seriously OP.

>>49675805
Oh, well, this is much better, though still really powerful. Honestly not a huge fan of the legendary clause, I already think it does more than its fair share. Though if you want to try your hand at an uncommon or common Nekrataal-like creature, look into Black's "Destroy target creature with power N or less" ability.
>>
File: Incinerating Charger.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Incinerating Charger.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>49675919
Gotta go fast.
>>
>>49675919
>Stop trying to be special and just say it loses Indestructible until end of turn.

That's a very different effect.
>>
Looking for good common inspirations, what are some of your guys favorite common cards (that don't feel like they should be uncommon/rare)
>>
File: Mad Butcher.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mad Butcher.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
Decided to just go ahead and make the card I suggested.

>>49675976
Removing abilities isn't Red at all, so I was guessing it was that anon's version of getting around protection.
>>
>>49675919
>Though if you want to try your hand at an uncommon or common Nekrataal-like creature, look into Black's "Destroy target creature with power N or less" ability.
I'll look into it. I like that black got that and white got the other way 'round. More toys. The reason I tacked on the legendary thing was to be cheeky, but also because it's narrow enough to do, just like tacking PW killing onto Murder, but it makes for a fun EDH card, which is something I don't usually keep in mind when I make cards.

>Thief
I looked at three of the four of these when I made her, specifically Daxos and Nightveil, but Grenzo being so strong raises questions about what I can really get away with here.

What I'm getting from you, vibe-wise, is that you think it's weak/sucks somehow, and don't wanna just say it because you think I'll bitchmode again. I won't, promise. You seem to have some ideas. Well, more than the initial feedback anyway, which I did include in an attempt to make it better. I liked the idea too which helped. But I'd rather you just spell out for me what you think the card should do in plain English, and we'll meet in the middle from there.
>>
>>49676035

Non-transform removing abilities is a basically untouched area so it's hard to say it's anyone.
>>
>>49676035
You're really trying to staple too much onto an already more than fine card. Lose the life gain/life loss.

A 4-mana 3/1 that also is going to kill a creature more often than not is already fantastic.
>>
>>49676078
it's really just an extension of turn to frog effects which I would consider blue, maybe green since green also has a very minor 'no special shit' theme
>>
>>49676070
No, it's more in that there are so many things you can do with the card it's kinda hard for me to say which direction is the best to go in. Also, yeah, Grenzo really messes me up. If I had to just pick a single effect? I'd use
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of that player's library face down. For as long as that card remains exiled, you may look at it, you may cast it, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast it.

>>49676092
I'm not the same guy as before, I've only made Mad Butcher.
>>
>>49676120

Turn into frog is a transform effect (It sets p/t/types). This is more 'Creature is very briefly vanilla'
>>
>>49676170
Well yeah, that's why I consider it an extension. I just don't think red has ever tread anywhere close to that territory.
>>
>>49676150
Okay so I gather you don't like the random aspect of it? I'd like to keep it, so we need to power the card up a little if that's the case. I was toying with the idea of the defending player exiling a number of cards from top of library/hand equal to the combat damage dealt by the thief, kinda like it did at first, but adding the hand to the mix. I'm just not sure if they can "fail to find" or something rules-wise that I don't know about. What I mean is, if they choose to exile both cards from their hand, but have one card, can they do that? If so, it kinda ruins that approach.
>>
>>49676170
Not him, but losing abilities is a very morph-like effect that has its home in blue. It fits in with clones, pongify, polymorph, imprison in the moon, etc. where you're not actively killing something, but changing it into something else (that's hopefully less harmful to you). It seems more blue and/or black.
>>
>>49676254

So I'd need to make this blue/red rather than mono-red? I'm not sure I'd agree on it being a blue effect (Mostly because I'd consider it quite distinct from actual transform/setting) but then, Red really feels like it's slice of the pie is much smaller than the others for actually designing interesting effects.
>>
File: Annihilator Sphinx.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Annihilator Sphinx.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>49676254
Its also in White, as part of their theme of "felling the mighty."
>>
I don't usually browse this general, but someone asked an off topic question in /edhg/ and it got me thinking. How would I make a WR commander that actually makes WR a competetive color?

Anyways, here was the idea:

>"Insert Name Here" - 4WR
>Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
>Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain life equal to its toughness.
>Whenever another creature you control dies, it deals damage equal to its power to target player.
>Whenever another creature you control is exiled, draw a card.
>3/4

Could be made nontoken if counting tokens would be just too strong. Obviously there's insane draw potential in this deck with stuff like Ghostway, or just looping two ETB - Exile target creature until LTB effects for an "infinite card draw" combo.
Should it be limited to a delayed EOT trigger and only one card per turn?
Other colors have super easy infinite combo's (Sharuum for example) that are even easier to enable and aren't even considered top tier, so having the potential to easily combo maybe isn't all that bad.
>>
File: Forgotten Soldiers Sword.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Forgotten Soldiers Sword.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>49676247
While, exiling from the top of the library usually is random. How often do you know what you're about to draw?

As far as the ability goes, I was kinda shying away from the hand because I wasn't sure the low cost justified it. But if you want to change it, that's no longer an issue.

And as for your specific ability, there's this card, which I believe will help us with this. And no, the player never "needs" to have the specified amount of cards. What happens when you Mind Rot someone with only one card in hand? They discard one card. Anyway, let's try
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles that many cards from his or her hand and/or the top of his or her library.
Hmm, though like this, why would they ever exile from the hand? Wow, now I'm falling down the rabbit hole and coming up with design after design. Here's an idea
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, he or she reveals that many cards from his or her hand. You choose one of them and exile it. Until end of turn, you may cast that card and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast it.
OK, this is serious. You need to give me direction or I will never stop coming up with designs. I have at least five different designs in my head right now.

Does the ability scale?
What zone does the ability exile from?
Can you cast the card(s) without paying the mana cost?
Can you cast more than one card exiled this way?
How long can you cast the exiled card?
>>
>>49676353
Not sure I agree with white actually stripping abilities. White does have Darksteel Mutation and Humble, but it seems like an odd choice when white now has many ways to lock them down.

Just to state purely facts: Over the history of Magic, there are only really a handful of these cards and they appear in WUG (with the prevalence of U being apparent).
>>
>>49676247
>>49676423
>there's this card
And because I'm an idiot, I forgot to post the relevant card.

Actually the name is fitting, it's kinda what I'm doing right now, just in an Izzet way.
>>
>>49676353
>>49676254
>>49676444
It's in black through Sudden Spoiling
>>
>>49676488
>All Time Spiral cards accurately reflect the color pie.
Howzabout no?
>>
>>49676505

Mind you, black oddly enough has the sole card that removes abilities without having a p/t set. Mind you, said card removes the abilities of cards in the graveyard so it's very clearly black.
>>
File: Humble.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Humble.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>49676514
I think the reason Wizards sets base P/T for those abilities is so creatures with P/T setting abilities don't just die.
>>
File: Angel Scales.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Angel Scales.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>49676488
>>49676444
I think we've somehow proven that its in every color except Red, which I find funny.

As to numbers, there're 18 of these cards. Two of them (Dance of Dragons, Dragonshift) only hit your own creatures, so we'll neglect them for these purposes.

That leaves 3 in White (Humility, Soul Sculptor, Humble), and 4 in green (Song of the Dryads, Lignify, Snakeform, Titania's Song), with 7 in blue. And there's Sudden Spoiling/Yixlid Jailer in Black. Of course, none of the white ones are modern legal, so you could make the argument that white has lost this ability.
>>
>>49676566
You forgot about Darsteel Mutation.
>>
>>49676505
Time Spiral was pretty on-color. You're thinking of Planar Chaos, and the shifted stuff was even denoted.
>>
>>49676566
Every time green printed a card like Song of the Dryads, Lignify etc, Mark Rosewater has thrown a hissyfit on his blog about breaking the color pie.

So according to him, this is NOT something green should have access to.
>>
>>49676423
>And no, the player never "needs" to have the specified amount of cards
So basically wording it to crib from the hand and library is asking to have them choose all from the hand if they are empty unless the wording is very specifically against that happening? Okay.
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles that many cards from his or her hand and/or the top of his or her library.
This is what I was proposing, yes. I thought it was sound, but as I said, there's the problem with them never choosing hand until they don't have any cards in the hand, then they choose the hand and there are no cards so nothing happens. I worry fixing that is wordier than the card would allow, but maybe not if something I'm thinking of would work.
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, he or she reveals that many cards from his or her hand. You choose one of them and exile it. Until end of turn, you may cast that card and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast it.
This has potential.

>Does the ability scale?
I originally wanted it to, yes. Would still like it to but was willing to put it on the chopping block for brevity/clarity.
>What zone does the ability exile from?
Originally I wanted library only.
>Can you cast the card(s) without paying the mana cost?
No, because red doesn't do that and UB does it at a much higher CMC.
>Can you cast more than one card exiled this way?
Possibly. This gave me an idea.
>How long can you cast the exiled card?
I wanted it to be UEOT.

Okay, how about this:
"Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, exile that many cards from the top of that player's library face down. Then, choose a card exiled with ~ and turn it face up. You may play that card this turn."

Yes, it scales per turn. It means each turn, you exile X cards, then can randomly pick one of them, so the pool grows each time she hits. Thoughts?
>>
>>49676555

That quote rather annoys me. Mostly because Supes is honestly the much more human of the pair despite being Kryptonian. Bats cast it aside and that's a serious issue for him
>>
File: Touch of Maro.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Touch of Maro.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>49676591
Hurr durr. Still not Modern legal, although it is a "modern" design. Blame my shitty search queries.

>>49676652
Maro hates it because it allows Green to deal with creatures without having a creature, which is haraam. But Maro also thinks Pongify and Rapid Hybridization are perfectly within Blue's slice because you get a consolation prize, even though Blue's weakness is resolved permanents.

>card
Every day until you like it, because I have a lot of salty EDH feelings about Pongify.
>>
>>49676689

Don't worry, everything is in blue's colour pie because blue is the colour of wizards and wizards can do anything!
>>
>>49676597
>Planar Chaos
even Planar Chaos was generally on color, though understandably it shouldn't be used as precedent
>>
>>49676735
>and the shifted stuff was even denoted.
You forgot that part of my post.
>>
File: TS.jpg (786KB, 1248x1335px) Image search: [Google]
TS.jpg
786KB, 1248x1335px
>>49676597
ORLY? The entire Time Spiral block played fast and loose with the color pie. Though to be fair, when it wasn't colorshifting, it was usually due to being throbacks to much older cards. So take cards from that block with a grain os salt.
>>
>>49676704
As a blue player, I hate this. I wish blue were more limited. I made efforts in my sets to make blue's counterspells weak, focusing more on bounce and soft tempo effects, and less on hard counters. I like blue being tricksy, but not bald-faced shut-down tier. It's actually kinda hard to do, but agree blue's toolbox is too big. The issues is, it's always a low-tier Limited color. It's usually the worst. It's meant to be splashed, but the problems arise when the larger card pools pop up in Modern and Standard and whatnot. Suddenly the barely passable card pool has way more goodies, and it stops being a splash color and can become a feature. Sometimes you can even get decent creatures and whatever color it's paired with becomes the splash instead, and that's when things get problematic.
>>
>>49676704
I'm still waiting for my blue land ramp.

And no, Dreamscape Artist doesn't count.
>>
>>49676756
Aren't all of those throwbacks in some form?
>>
>>49676758
>modern and standard and whatnot

I think you meant to say legacy.
Blue is fucking dead in modern, one of the weakest colors. I assume the same is true for standard, at least from a control perspective, but I don't know much about STD.
>>
>>49676652
>>49676689
I will forever hate Maro's stances on Lignify and Pongify.
>Lignify: Planar Chaos, doesn't count.
>Pongify: Yeah, Blue does that now.
Especially when he gives Blue fucking exile removal. "Oh no, it's not creature removal, because in flavor, it's transforming one creature into another." OK Maro, so is Swords to Plowshares not creature removal, is it, I dunno, lifegain conversion or something?

>>49676677
Oh yeah. But in BVS he didn't know Clark and just hated him, so he threw being an alien in his face. But Lex is very similar that way. Supes is an alien who is far more human than Lex could ever hope to be, but Lex thinks he's humanity's last hope against an alien menace.

>>49676800
English, motherfucker, do you read it?
>>
>>49676811
>it was usually due to being throbacks to much older cards
I would like examples that are not throwbacks. Also, stop it with those outdated memes.
>>
>>49676801
Ah, I forgot blue control died a while ago. I'm a dirty casual so I usually don't check up on comp scene stuff, but I do recall hearing that now that you mention it.
>>
>>49676758

Yeah, the issue with blue is rarely a problem in-set. Blue normally gets a couple of tricks in a set and they are nice tricks but not game breaking. The issue is that if a new effect gets tossed anywhere for a first try it will be blue as it's really easy to justify unless it utterly screams another colour. In bigger game types this means that blue has a couple of cards to do more or less anything and you only need a couple. No one gives a shit about Red Burn #34 as that's a plenty covered area by existing cards.

>>49676784

Mitotic Manipulation. Why doesn't Dreamscape artist count?
>>
File: Blue hates Magic.png (41KB, 1514x230px) Image search: [Google]
Blue hates Magic.png
41KB, 1514x230px
>>49676758
I always loved the anon who pointed out that Blue, as a whole, actually hates playing Magic, and loves stopping all the other colors from having fun.
>>
>>49676821
>I don't even know the card that kicked off this discussion!
What meme can I use to mock you for not keeping up with the tread?
>>
File: Seahorse.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Seahorse.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
I was going to post a new card but then I got distracted by my hateboner for Pongify. Thanks.

Instead have this stupid thing.
>>
>>49676859
I brought that up in the first place. I was asking if Sudden Spoiling was off color and asked for a precedent in Time Spiral, to which you posted throwback cards that were off color (and of which Sudden Spoiling is not). Please show me how Time Spiral is off color outside of throwbacks.
>>
>>49676831

Well, the issue is that blue doesn't have a win-con.

All the other colours have a tangible win con but blue's rarely has one without adding another colour. Without a win con it doesn't really have cards to move towards a win so it gets cards to prevent the other guy from getting towards a win. Long ago it had mill but mill turned out to be a load of junk.
>>
>>49676878
See >>49676859
Wow, haven't had the opportunity to do that for a while.

Seriously, find me any other example of Black doing this. And I don't care if you just THINK it's in color. I don't accept it when Maro does it, I won't accept it when you do it. PROVE it's in color. Which you won't be able to.
>>
>>49676898
Hmm, that is true. Maro needs to get on the Blue/Black evergreen keyword to fix that.
>>
File: Invoke Pandemonium.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Invoke Pandemonium.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49676827
Yeah, red needs more tricks. Green could use a few crafty things too. They are both too straightforward as they are.

>>49676831
Personally, if I were to keep anything, it'd be:
>Blue gets to change creatures into other creatures/-X/-0/adjust P/T (never T to 0 though).
>Blue gets to bounce things.
>Blue gets to alter the rules of non-combat portions of turns.
>Blue gets to draw the most cards.
And I'd do away with
>Blue gets to hard counter spells.
>Blue gets to hard protect its creatures from enemy magic.
>Blue gets to alter combat rules (sorry unblockable, I like you, but you really aren't very blue. There may be a better, more blue way to do you though).
>>
>>49676942
>>Blue gets to hard protect its creatures from enemy magic.
Funny you say that, according to Maro, Hexproof might be next on the chopping block since Regen is gone.
>>
>>49676898
>blue doesn't really have a wincon
You know, I never thought about that. Huh. It's kinda true, aside from fat fliers (read: Sphinxes).

>>49676942
ADDENDUM:
>Blue no longer gets extra turns. Artifacts now do that exclusively.
>>
>>49676898
DELVER
E
L
V
E
R

>>49676929
>opponent drops a Tendrils
or alternatively
>drop a Tendrils at only 5 (five!) storm.

>>49676942
>unblockable
>not blue
What color is it, then?

>>49676959
What the hell?
>>
>>49676929
>Copy each other [very important!] instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copies.
>>
>>49676959
I heard that, and good riddance. I like it, kinda, but I think a softer version of it would be better, like trading Intimidate for Menace was such a good change to me. There has to be a version of Hexproof that is good but doesn't just shut everything down. Maybe that "first spell each turn" counter blue creatures got in Kamigawa? That'd work. You can get that creature, but you have to spend cards. Or, they could make it a tax. (Spells targeting this creature cost 2 more to cast) or a version that specifies opponents' spells if Maro doesn't want to soft resurrect Shroud.
>>
File: Courier Witch.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Courier Witch.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>49676971
>Delver
Ah yes, my favorite iconic Blue creature, a 3/2 flier for 1. :^)
>>
>>49676983

Whoops. Yeah, that needs fixing. My bad.
>>
>>49676971
>unblockable
Get rid of it in its current form. I think that's what Skulk was trying to do. Make it either always cost mana, or have some softer incarnation that can be counterplayed. Everything in Magic should have some manner of counterplay accessible especially to at least one enemy color.
>>
>>49676999
It's the most on-color creature in Magic history because it involves instants and sorceries!
>>
File: Hexrpoof variants.png (30KB, 638x480px) Image search: [Google]
Hexrpoof variants.png
30KB, 638x480px
>>49676997
>>49676971
>>
>>49677018
The problem with Skulk is that it basically becomes nearly useless on anything with power greater than 2 or 3.
>>
Okay, now I want to work on possible UB evergreen keywords, a Hexproof replacement, and a replacement for Unblockable. I suppose this is a good thing, being inspiration and all, but I'm not sure I'm up to the task. Still gonna try though. My last attempt at a UB evergreen can't be evergreen because it's too complex. I think that's part of the problem.
>>
File: Typhoon Elemental.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Typhoon Elemental.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>49677018
>Everything in Magic should have some manner of counterplay accessible especially to at least one enemy color.
To be fair, with the recent proliferation of one-sided fight in Green, just about every non-Blue color can kill creatures without throwing a creature in front of it when it attacks.
>>
>>49677064
I know, it wasn't a very good solution. Design space is too narrow. But I'm sure there's something. I mean it already has Flying, does it really NEED Unblockable? I'm not so sure.
>>
>>49677074
That's true. But blue has answers to creatures in the form of no less than three responses:
>bounce
>counter
>polymorph
So it doesn't need to kill anything, and never did. It's just the other colors playing catch-up to the levels of coping with nonland permanents (and even sometimes lands) that blue has had for over a decade.
>>
>>49676655
>asking to have them choose all from the hand if they are empty
What? No, they have to meet the number if they can. If they have to exile 5 cards and have 1 card in hand, they can exile 1 card from hand and 4 from library, or 0 from hand and 5 from library. I think. Anxious and tired. And slightly manic. Heh, "slightly"... No, that's right, just looked it up. Yup, manic.

>I thought it was sound
Nah, it's still good... bro? What is your... handle? Your Savage anon, right? Do you sitll want people to call you that?

>Thoughts?
Don't thinkt hat works tat all. Maybe try
>Whenever ~ deals combat dmaage to a player, exile that many cards from the top of hir or her library face down. You may look at those cards for as long as they remain exiled.
>During each of your turns, you may cast one card exiled with ~ and you may spend mana as though it were maa of any type to cast ti.
I think. I think that should work.Sounds cool though. But yeah, your original idea totes works. And we can always just make multiple cards. In fact i might steal some of these cards for some of my CO characters.
>>
>>49677081
Well, that's why Maro has always said he wants the UB evergreen keyword to be something other than evasion. Which, coincidentally, is the main reason why it's so fucking hard to make a UB evergreen keyword. Maro's right, Blue and Black share the least amount of mechanical space among all colors, even including enemy pairs.
>>
>>49677174

About the only mechanical space they really share is discard/mill and that is, as previously mentioned, kinda fucking junk.
>>
>>49676655
>No, because red doesn't do that and UB does it at a much higher CMC.
First, just because one card in a combination can't do something doesn't mean the combination itself can't do it. Second, nah, Red can cast spells without footing the bill, though usually only I/S cards. Like Mindclaw.
>>
File: Lifebond.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lifebond.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
Could this be B/W? Black has gotten variants of "Whenever enchanted creature is dealt damage, its controller loses that much life." on multiple occasions, but I guess it doesn't really redirect.
>>
>>49677203
Well, they technically share an aspect in taking their opponents cards and using them against them. But that really isn't something that's evergreen. The shared mechanics are either crap or way too complex.
>>
File: Blessed Spellward.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Blessed Spellward.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Playing with not-shroud.
>>
>>49677297
You forgot an apostrophe. Is it meant to be a common? Like the protection, though.
>>
>>49677311

It's supposed to be uncommon. I fucked up.

But yeah, I figured 'Shroud is green/blue, beefy is green so Beefy Shroud (Preventing spells smaller than the creature) is more green than blue.
>>
2SPOOKY4ME!

NT: >>49677384
>>
>>49677345
So where's the white?
>>
>>49677409

Protecting other creatures at cost to itself. Most 'hand out protection' creatures have been white.
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 121

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.