[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One of my players tried killing a guard, what's a fitting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

File: skyrim-guard.jpg (372KB, 880x555px) Image search: [Google]
skyrim-guard.jpg
372KB, 880x555px
One of my players tried killing a guard, what's a fitting punishment?
>>
Jail time.
>>
Stripped naked and put in stocks in the middle of town.
>>
>>49643715
>Death
>Improsonment
>Heavy (like a FUUUCK ton) fines
>banishment from city
>branding
>but most likely death or imprisonment
>>
>>49643715
Paying the court a fine or serving their sentence. All their stolen goods are now forfeit.
>>
>>49643715
Jail time.
>>
>>49643715
Jail plus jail rape.
NO fade to black.
Destroy their soul.
>>
>>49643715
Jail for attempted murder.
Society's laws must be upheld.

However in the interests of the game, offer him the chance to help protect the city/town/whatever from a threat, to downgrade his sentence to banishment.
>>
Public execution.
>>
Execution either by public hanging or decapitation then their corpse is stuck on a pike in front of the city gates.

Or maybe gibbeting if you feel nasty
>>
File: 6i.jpg (50KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
6i.jpg
50KB, 250x240px
>>49643715

Depends on the setting. Depends on the laws of the city in the setting. Depends on the specifics of the case.

Need details, OP. There's no generic answer.
>>
>>49643715
Depends on the setting.

IRL attempted murder would have gotten you executed in most of medieval Europe.
>>
>>49643776
generic dnd fantasy
>>
File: 1409929332809.jpg (248KB, 1280x1189px) Image search: [Google]
1409929332809.jpg
248KB, 1280x1189px
>>49643715
Depends. Its essentially the same as Assaulting an Officer in today's criminal court, so it depends a bit on the circumstance, what the player was doing specifically, the amount of malicious intent, and how inebriated either party was.

I say, since this is assumedly mideivel fantasy, that some forms of corporal punishment are also on the table, such as having his hand chopped off, his tongue removed, Being put in a forced indenture followed by parole, or tressed up in the stockade without food or water for a couple of days.

Again, details are needed.
>>
>>49643787
What level?
If over 10, why did the town have player killing super guards?
>>
>>49643715
Put them in stocks, then brand their character with some symbol that will signify they tried to kill a guardsman, especially if no evidence of wrongdoing was committed by the guard or can be proven
>>
>>49643807
level 1 we made the characters today too
>>
>>49643715
Death by hanging.
>>
>>49643715
execution
>>
>>49643715
Crippling wound in a limb, followed by conscription into the guards.
>>
>>49643715
Bring the town guard SWAT on them, and bring them to a trial that they must play through.

If they actually murdered the guard, probably a death sentence that they can try to escape or, if the trail is a good one, they might even accept it. If they didn't succeed in killing the guard, probably just some jail time.
>>
>>49643816
Execute or I guess if you don't want to actually punish them send them on a suicide mission.
>>
>>49643816
What was the situation? Was it a bar fight that got out of control? Or was the guard stepping in some Rogue's Guild shit?
Because the answer to the two is wildly different.
>>
>>49643715
Death, however the Guard, and his Guard Captain are both willing to forget it ever happened on the condition the party solves a certain problem for them.

This particular problem being a traveller who comes around once per year causing problems yet for some reason no Lord will order their men to arrest him.
>>
>>49643829
Like a bolt into the ankle?
>>
>>49643787
>>49643816

Eat shit. :^)
>>
>>49643715
An assault against the sworn men of the king is as an assault against the king himself. Tortured, drawn and quartered.
>>
File: Guard-varangian-ACR-ac.png (499KB, 532x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Guard-varangian-ACR-ac.png
499KB, 532x1200px
>>49643832
To build on this, separately approach each player who could theoretically argue innocence and offer them a bargain of not being prosecuted if they act as anonymous witnesses to the attempted murder.
>>
>>49643857
That works, although it's lower than imagined.
>>
>>49643883
this helped thanks
>>
>>49643851
player robbed someone and then got recognized, other player then attacked guard and player #1 ran away
>>
>>49643919
>player robbed someone and then got recognized, other player then attacked guard and player #1 ran away
Aiding and abetting in thievery, AND assaulting a royal guard?
Either he gets his tongue and right hand cut out, or he hangs
>>
hold trial for the crimes of homicide, assault, and contempt of the law

put in the stocks, pending verdict
if the party is willing, beg for his life
dc20: punishment downgraded to ordeal, he must earn redemption as determined by the court
dc15: public flogging and branding as a criminal, can earn freedom but never dignity by an ordeal
dc10:hanging until death, unless you bribe the judge
dc5(impossible without negative arguing skills):hang drawn and quartered, no appeal
>>
>>49643919
Hanging for both, have both players make new characters. Otherwise a suicide mission.
>>
>>49643919
If the thief is caught too, brand them across the forehead with a capital T for thief, with the bottom of the letter extending down to the bridge of the nose.

Public Lashing for the one who aided and abetted the thief. A lashing for every hit on the guard times their constitution modifier. If they die, it is the will of the dice
>>
>>49643886
The dick?
>>
>>49643776
>le depends on the setting
>>
i killed him lads
>>
>>49644289
Except that it does, you troglodyte. A Points of Light setting where you broke the law in a city that uses rhetoric and fear of the Outside to ensure that the public goes along with its laws--and the local culture goes with this--is going to have very different reaction to you assaulting a guard in a near-anarchic society where the guards are half-assed boys with clubs looking for a free meal.
>>
>>49643715
If you mean appropriate within the bounds of your game, that depends on how serious, realistic, and punishing of a game you generally run.

Realistically, if you assaulted a town guard, you'd might be jailed for a considerable period, might be beaten and/or maimed, or possibly hung. It would depend on what kind of social status you had.

A good approach to these sorts of things, I've found, is to inflict a relatively serious, but not entirely debilitating, injury as punishment. I cut a player character's hand off in a game once in a similar situation, and it was a good way to make it seem like he'd been seriously punished, but avoid actually killing his character. Keep in mind the character. Losing a hand can be an annoyance or it can be entirely crippling, depending on the character's skills. You should try to impair them without making them useless, to give them some character and motivation, rather than just make their character unplayable.
>>
>>49644654
Save crippling the archer until they have enough money to buy a custom prosthetic with interchangeable attachments, such as a double hook so they can nock specially made arrows to shoot, and various weapon attachments depending on their WoC
>>
>>49643715

Governments have very little incentive to offer anything but death to someone who is already trying to kill their law enforcement.
>>
>>49643715
>players
Charged with attempted murder.
>>
>>49643919
Hangs or exile
>>
>>49643715
>"I punish players for making choices instead of encouraging them to make choices"

You sound like a shit GM. Does attacking a guard seriously disrupt the game for other players somehow? If not, then it shouldn't matter.
>>
>>49645099
> Does attacking a guard seriously disrupt the game for other players somehow?
That is entirely up to how the DM decides to handle it, You already vaguely know how OP did

And most people consider your actions having consequences as good DMing
>>
>>49643919
>robbery
That's a hand

>attacking and killing guard
That's a hangin'
>>
>>49643919
150 gold fine.

Translated to D&D land from Elder Scrolls,like a 1 gold fine.
>>
File: IMG_5197.jpg (37KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5197.jpg
37KB, 500x333px
>>49645146
>attempted murder?
>>
>>49643715
A sternly worded letter delivered to the offender that, in no uncertain terms, expresses your disappoint and distress at their extremely troubling behavior.
>>
>>49643715
If they were Redguard then execution seems fitting.
>>
>>49643715
He inherits the guard's wife and children. He will be expected to care for them and raise the sons as proper warriors. If he treats them ill, the Jarl will have a giant eat him.
>>
>>49643715
Every crime the punishment should be similar.
Community service in the form of some sort of quest.
If it's a small crime just a fetch mission to get you to leave, if it's a big crime a dangerous dungeon crawl in the hopes that you get killed.
>>
File: 5.jpg (39KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
39KB, 300x299px
The PC being tied to a wheel and scraped over hot coals a couple of times seems a decent enough punishment.
>>
>>49643715
Solitary confinement in the dungeons, then pillory, then jail. For at least a month.
>>
>>49643715
ass rape IRL
>>
>>49645146
Do you cut off the hand before, or after they hang?
>>
>>49643919
>PC is a highwayman who raised arms against the king's men

He's fucked
>>
>>49643715
Let us know what comes of it, OP.
>>
>>49643715
Guard goes on a paid vacation for a few days, the player is tied to a post, given standard guardsman equipment & takes over for a few days. Also the player has no authority whatsoever.
>>
>>49643715
Arrow to the knee.
>>
>>49643715
Details please. Like if he was drunk they would likely just let it go with a day in the stocks, if it was his first time doing that type of thing. If not then well they may just fine the fuck out of him and put him in the stocks for 3 to 5 days. If his cash on hand does not meet the fines then they take the jewelry (other then the signet ring if he has one) and if that does not cover it then they move on to other types of items on hand. If everything he has not with him does not cover the fines then they banish his ass from the city.

Also was it just a guard, or say a captain of the one of the watches?

What they would not do if it is a medieval or early modern is long term imprisonment. That costs money. If there is a effective means of forcing prisoners to make them money it is different. Like say a close by mine. Then it gets nasty fast and can easily turn into a year or two of de facto enslavement.
>>
>>49643757
>>49643759
>>49643768
>>49644654
>>49648935

For those that are talking about a jail time, jails as we know are rather new ( 17th century ). If it goes past around 3 weeks in the pillory or stock then it jumps to some time else.

Have look at what a old school prison looked like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX4SDd4Ym4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0wQSh4StFs
>>
City takes anything of value they have and gives it to guard as compensation
Branded so that others might know of his sins
Banished from the city because he is no longer welcome
>>
>>49643715
Two personal ways I would go with:
>If players weren't all caught, they are outlaws now. Part of adventure is hiding from the law and starting anew, perhaps redeeming themselves with quest. If a player was caught, offer rescue as a possible course of action.

>Players are caught but offered a suicide-mission, and will be forgiven if they succeed.
>>
>>49643715
Pay a fine equal to the man's life, as per Saxon law.
>>
You people do realize that death sentence for murder is uncommon as fuck in medieval times, and only applies if you're a nobody who the townfolk know nothing about? If you're a reputable person with lots of friends you'll get off scott free, with the blame being heaped on some random wandering worker who is not a resident. Or alternatively you just pay a fine equal to the man's worth to his lord and continue to go about your business.
>>
>>49649632
>jails as we know are rather new
You know what's not historically accurate?
Most fantasy settings.
>>
>>49649632
You mean that criminals who were senenced to a jailtime longer than 3 weeks were sent back in time to the Roman Age?
>>
>>49649738
This or banishment/outlawry. Pretty standard. Death only if you owed the man some form of alleigance, or if he was acting in the place of such a man. So he killed the guard in a personal dispute, as above, if he killed the guard while the guard was undertaking his duties for his lord, the punishment would be as if you killed the lord. Usually death by beheading.
>>
File: grr1702_452_1024x1024.jpg (77KB, 450x584px) Image search: [Google]
grr1702_452_1024x1024.jpg
77KB, 450x584px
>>49649752
That is true. However in my 7 years as a GM I have come to the conclusion having some degree of internal logic about how the important parts of the setting work can greatly improve a game. I would also that crime and the justice system are important most of the time in table top RPGs.

That internal logic does not have to be based on historical president. For D&D like settings it can be based on modern social mores. For advice on how to do that well the Blue Rose game line is great. However if someone does go down that road on that subject when running D&D it should go hand in hand with rethinking the type of actions that typical D&d PC do. Doing that does quickly put most PCs in a very bad light on the moral grey scale. Naturally you could change the type of plots you use.

Or you could do what I do.Take historical president and tone it up or down based on the mood you are aiming for and if you want the players to hate the society in the game. Make society look so ugly that their PCs look good in contrast. Give the players a low moral bar to meet to feel like they are the good guys. That does a lot to make the players feel their PCs are heroic in nature.

Not saying that looking to historical president on setting questions is always the right idea. But I am saying that on the subject of crime and justice it is a good idea.
>>
File: d0c.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
d0c.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>49649821
>You mean that criminals who were senenced to a jailtime longer than 3 weeks were sent back in time to the Roman Age?

OH my god. Fuck internal logic and common sense just do that. Bullshit something about the cave of banishment as for the how. Anyone please do this and post what happens.
>>
>>49648680
>>49649154

These are much more creative than the death/ mutilation thing. Kudos for thinking outside the murder box.
>>
>>49649029
You first cut off the hand and the hang it.
>>
>>49649998
>Party is banished from late 16th century style fantasy world and ends up in a portal where some confused but very happy not-Romans proceed to grab and auction them off.

Now that's a whole campaign/adventure hook right there!
>>
>>49643816
A week in prison. On day three, guards let in three half orc prisoners into the jail cell for a session of rough love. In explicit detail.
>>
>>49643776
This is the correct answer, why is 4chan becoming shit these days?
>>
>>49643715
He has to be friend of that guard for a week
>>
>>49643715
Execution or long-term imprisonment seem the most likely. Attacking a town/city guard with the intent of killing them is a serious offense and the ruler can't let it go unpunished. If they player was just messing around and doing stupid shit you should have their character hanged. Lay down the law.

Of course assuming the player isn't a complete shithead and did it for a semi-decent reason, then you might be able to let them off with a severe fine or banishment. You could also use it as a quest hook.

>Town Magistrate/local Lord etc needs some dangerous work done.
>"Help us, and we'll pardon your friend. Refuse, and he hangs tomorrow morning."

>>49643748
>>49643759
Just like in my Skyrim mods.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.