[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could someone recommend me a system (besides Shadowrun, DnD,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: i'm losing my will to live.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
i'm losing my will to live.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
Could someone recommend me a system (besides Shadowrun, DnD, and Pathfinder)?

So my issue started off as such: most of my players (I'm the DM) are pretty sick of Pathfinder due to its conflicts with our more RP-heavy gameplay style, and as such we proposed to move to 5e. However, some people of our group vehemently rejects 5e because apparently it's too 'inflexible' and 'not fun'.

So is there a compromise out there?

I'm looking for a system that is flexible without too much reliance on rigid rules, but with enough character creation to shut the autists up.
>>
Fantasycraft, or something freeformey
>>
>>49637062
Fate.
https://fate-srd.com/
>>
>>49637062
Try Dungeon World, and give your autists the "Class Warfare" PDF (disassembles the vanilla classes into a build-your-own-class system).

Savage Worlds might also be worth a look.
>>
>>49637062
Delta Green, preferably the new one
>>
>>49637081
Seconding Fantasy Craft.

Definitely would not recommend FATE if your group includes players who are really into the crunch and character creation side. They'd hate it.
>>
>>49637216
Seconding Savage Worlds. Spend the price of onr DND core book, and get a rulebook for all your players.
>>
>>49637062

WEG d6
or
GURPS Lite (If players like it you can slowly add more)
>>
>>49637216
>>49637413

Thirding Savage World.

It's a very flexible system. I once ran Kancolle style tankgirls in Vietnam with it, worked like a charm.
>>
>>49637062
GURPS
>>
>>49637216
>>49637413
>>49637469

Fourth for savage worlds, its a great system and the physical book for it is like 10USD
>>
>>49637062
Recommending D&D 4e to be honest. My group is pretty much in the same boat as yours, so we pick 4e over 5e due to the customization the game allows. Also you an always pick and choose what bits of the rules you want to use. The people that DM in the group do away with having to keep track of arrows and other types of ammunition since it cuts out the time that could be spent elsewhere.
>>
>>49637487
Not OP, but...
which books will I need to play?
>>
>>49637539
If you don't like the number-crunchy nature of 4e, you could try Strike!, which is a 4e retro-clone sort of thing. You need to be somewhat familiar with narrative games to run it tho.
>>
>>49637062
I would Strongly recommend the Storytellersystem from White Wolf. Really any of Onyx Path Vampire, Geist, scion, exalted, etc. It's all heavily rp focused
>>
>>49637697
Deluxe edition, Fantasy companion, and I recommend the fan books Savage Armory and, to a lesser degree, Savage Spellbook (can be found online in PDF form for free).
>>
>>49637697
Savage Worlds Deluxe is the latest version of the core rules, and all you need to play.
>>
>>49637062
Nechronica.

4e is also the best version of D&D; rules for combat where you want them while leaving non-combat stuff well enough alone for you do deal with.
>>
>>49637950
Thanks
>>
>>49637950
I would argue you don't even need the fantasy companion to start off, though it does help.
>>
Pokemon Tabletop United, and fuck around with the setting.

My group has done Edo-era pre-Pokeball Japan, Colonial America, Revolutionary war America, cyberpunk future, and a traditional Pokemon league campaign. The traditional campaign has been the least interesting so far but still fun.

The rules for the system can be fairly crunchy, but if you go with the quick combat system where you don't roll for damage and just take averages it moves very quickly. The autists will be happy with the powerbuilding (despite the book suggesting not to do that and just have fun with it since it makes balancing encounters for the party a pain for everyone) and the other autists can have some fun messing with Pokemon and each other's characters.
>>
File: bwg.jpg (267KB, 550x850px) Image search: [Google]
bwg.jpg
267KB, 550x850px
>>49637062
Burning Wheel Gold, my guy.
I've had a hell of a lot of fun with it and it manages to balance engaging combat and integrated role-playing better than any other RPG I've ever seen.
>>
>>49637062
Your group sounds like they are asking for a game with a lot of crunch but a focus on narative which is very rare to find but exists. I can also tell you that aside from FATE (which isn't very crunchy) most of the suggestions here are more of the same. Savage Worlds is less crunchy than 5e and I guess a little more flexible, Fantasy Craft is a better version of Pathfinder for people who like Pathfinder but hate the imbalances and want more super hero style fun, and GURPS is similar that it's a lot like a balanced Pathfinder with better combat and lethality.

If you really want story first I reccomend Dungeon World (light weight, lots of classes to pick from with third party support, a complete SRD to use with it, the GM design is very strong), FATE (very loosey-goosey with what a player can do with a simple core and some interesting ways to run a typical fantasy game), The Burning Wheel (huge amount of crunch, most of the time to invest is in creating characters, the game itself has several good resolution systems for all sorts of situation that read directly from a character sheet), Dogs in the Vineyard (very narrow focus, but the dice mechanic allows for detailed RP even if it is combat or talking or whatever else), or Mythras (I find it to be a generic system with a nice balance of crunch and freedom).
>>
>>49637062
5E, but don't follow the rules word for word like an autist and make rulings that allow for more RP. If its not fun make it fun.
>>
>>49637062
Give FATAL a shot. It's got plenty of character creation, and while there are a lot of rules, they all contribute so that your role-playing experience can be the most fun possible.
>>
>>49637062
Maid RPG
>>
>>49637062
Delta Green?
>>
>>49637062
GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy. All you need is:
Basic Set (Ignore almost everything, use it for equipment, character creation and combat), DF 1 (character creation), DF 2 (DM guide, cool shit guide for players) and maybe DF 3 if you want elves and hobgoblins. GURPS: Magic is also necessary, but that's just a massive spell list like all D&D editions have baked in.

All together about the same required reading as any D&D clone spread over a lot of different books: DF1 and 2 are 30 pages each and Basic Set about 600 though you'll read maybe 300 of that if you're doing it right. Fantasycraft is 400, for reference. Wizards will have a little more homework, though the DM can just refer to the wizard's spellbook for spell effects once the wizard's done.

Steal everything from the GURPS general PDF archive if you want to check it out.

As extras DF8 is nice for the DM to pick up (random treasure tables) and DF11 is more cool shit for the players. GURPS: Martial Arts has rules for even more cool shit for martial characters to (ab)use and Low-Tech has a much more in depth armour system for you to steal.
>>
3.5 the real slim shady
ye cuntss
Or marvel soup?
>>
>>49637062
5e is actually the best, especially coming from PF. I think they just have the wrong idea about it.

Read up the PHB, Sage Advice compendium, should get you started. Optionally DMG and Monster Manual (for templates etc), for 'flexibility.'
>>
>>49637062
How about a World of Darkness game of some sort?
>>
>>49637469
whyyyyy
>>
>>49637062
Kick the idiots who think 5E is any more inflexible than PF out of the group, then play 5E
>>
>>49638834
If your group wants something RP-heavy, this is the way to go. (Mouseguard is really good too but pretty tied to the setting).
>>
>>49637062
Savage Worlds
GURPS
>>
>>49637216
>>
>>49651296
1.) That guy speaks like someone with the D&D (3.PF) brand of brain damage, not understanding that the rules are there to guide you, not to constrain you.
2.) Class Warfare (recommended by the poster you quote) fixes that, as do a number of other (fan) supplements that give more alignment/race options for classes.
>>
>>49649118
Why Savage Worlds or why the Tankgirls?

Savage Worlds is light and flexible and I don't like being bogged down too much by too many rules.

The tankgirls because I'm a retarded autist who thought it sounded hilarious and fun.

and to be fair it was hilarious and fun.
>>
>>49651374
If you need another book to FIX the corebook, you failed.
>>
>>49637062
Savage Worlds or Fate. The first is pretty balanced, while the latter has a narrative focus.
>>
>>49652794

Which I guess makes every game with a supplement bullshit, to an extent.

Personally I think DW is just fine and the people who say and screencap shit like that are maximum autists.
Shit is supposed to be limited. Archetypical. No, that doesn't castrate your "storytelling" a bit.
>>
>>49653054
>"Here, we're going to play this game. But scrape the corebook, read this guide made by fans so you can understand what the author said, and use these fan playbooks, because they are better balanced than the official ones."
>>
>>49653117
>read this guide made by fans so you can understand what the author said

Actually, that should be
>read this guide made by fans so you can understand what the authors didn't say because they didn't understand it themselves
>>
>>49637062
Burning Wheel.
>>
>>49653191
>Actually, that should be
>>read this guide made by fans so you can understand what the authors didn't say because they didn't understand it themselves
That not only proves my point but it also made me confused: how do you know what the authors wanted?
>>
>>49653271
>how do you know what the authors wanted?
I don't. Never said I did. Where'd you get that from?
>>
>>49637697
Only Core rules and maybe Fantasy Companion. Aside from that, the best complementary material is not the official one, but the stuff from "Zadmar's Savage Worlds Stuff" (just google that exact term and take the first result).

Zadmar has created a whole tiny libary of PDF's for pretty much everything you can't get out of those two mentioned books. Improving the vanilla magic system, how to use it properly, how to houserule stuff if you are not happy with something from vanilla, alternative magic systems, armories, a build-your-own race creation guide for perfectly balanced races, same for arcane backgrounds, prebuild houserules and new char edges and for when and how to use them, etc. As far as system mastery for SW goes, he is probably the best you can get (publicly on the internet at least)

The magic system can be a bit awkward to use if you are used to versatile and quadratic wizards from D&D, they are neither. That makes them not OP compared to other chars, but in my opinion even a bit under powered. If you want more versatile mages with utility spells, look into Zadmar's alternatives. He even has a Vancian magic system that works completely different that the vanilla one but still "feels" like SW.

If you want to get really autistic and your players want custom edges for their chars you can plug them into his combat simulator and it will determine how it compares to the vanilla and fantasy companion edges so that you can balance them.

What I love SW for most is how I am quickly able to gauge how much of a modifier I can give a player for a skill check, though you can freely be harsher than the book recommends. I would not put a +6 at "you shoud almost never give this because that much means it should be impossible", I would strech that one to +8.
>>
>>49637062
GURPS.
Like >>49637460 said GURPS lite is a great place to start, you may want to use the characters basic set to give your players more options for character creation.
>>
>>49653368
From your line:
>read this guide made by fans so you can understand what the authors didn't say because they didn't understand it themselves
This mean you know what the authors wanted to say, so you did that for them.
>>
>>49653648
Well, no.
I know what they should have said, but I'm pretty sure they didn't want to say it because they had no idea that that was something to say, hence the "didn't understand it themselves" part.
>>
>>49637062
>Pathfinder due to its conflicts with our more RP-heavy gameplay style
Could you explain this to me?
I'm going to try out PF sometime soon. I've heard before that D&D and the like are lesser for roleplay, in what ways though?
Being someone who's only played 4e before (and absolutely hated it) I can't imagine it being worse for roleplay than that atleast.
>>
>>49653117
You don't scrape the corebook. You add extra material.

Are you really unable to tell the difference? Does hate cloud your judgement that much?
>>
>>49653117
>>49653117

I understood it perfectly the first time. And use the normal classes.
Considering every game has some people that don't understand it perfectly the first time, though, some explanations can be useful.
>>
>>49653697
A dense forest of obtrusive rules for every conceivable situation.
4e took a step towards roleplay-friendliness by focusing the rules on combat. And as you said, it's still pretty bad at it.
>>
>>49653697
They are not inherently worse or better, but Pathfinder is a comprehensive ruleset with tons of options that encourages you to build your character and plan for his advancement right from the start. It can pretty enjoyable but also confusing for beginners and it can take you away from the game itself when you dive too much into mechanics.

D&D 4e suffered from presentation I think. It's a good game for what it does, but if you don't spend a lot of time doing combats in 4e, you're missing out. Designers expect you to do it it so people assume it's worse for roleplay. Again, it's not inherently so.

5th edition on the other hand is much more loose ruleset that's while still combat focused and balanced around encounters doesn't nudge you into that territory so much. With the right presentation and advice 5e looks much more friendly to roleplaying.
>>
File: What the actual fuck.jpg (238KB, 1349x386px) Image search: [Google]
What the actual fuck.jpg
238KB, 1349x386px
>>49653697
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.