[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, game design brainteaser for you. So I'm building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1470343255807.jpg (27KB, 436x584px) Image search: [Google]
1470343255807.jpg
27KB, 436x584px
Hey /tg/, game design brainteaser for you.

So I'm building a homebrew. There is one type of item you can have only one of at a time, and a few varieties of that item.

This item gives you bonuses to two different stats. We'll call them A and B.

A can be increased by obtaining items of other kinds, but B is static.

I want them to determine a third stat, C.

The relationship should be that the more A you have, the less C you end up with.

How do I accomplish this considering that A could be either higher or lower than B and I only want to use positive integers?

So for example, if I say B - A = C, that works out fine logically. But it falls apart if A is greater than B, which it can be since you can increase the stat with other items.

I am game for just making C some kind of a static stat tied to the original Item, but it would make more sense if it decreased as A got higher.

Any ideas?
>>
>>49630216
If A > B then C=0?

Otherwise I don't think you'll get a nice function because
>positive integers
just make a table.

Alternatively you could have B always greater than A and use B - A = C, or take B/A rounded to the nearest integer
>>
>>49630399
>Alternatively you could have B always greater than A
This would be really hard to accomplish, because of the range of what A can be (like 2-8). So if I pump up B to be huge to accomodate this, and someone has an A value of 2, then they end up with a much bigger C than I want to be possible.

And C can't be 0. I can try giving it a minimum but I'm not sure how that would work
>>
>>49630461
B+8-A=C
>>
>>49630506
Fuck I'm drunk
(B+8-A)/2=C Round to nearest integer value
>>
>>49630461
>>49630506
Yeah if you give us the ranges of A, B and C that'd help. I'm assuming you want a linear scaling.

Whatever function you end up with definitely put a table in your homebrew or players' eyes will glaze over. You don't really expect them to do basic algebra do you?
>>
>>49630520
That failing, just make a sliding table. For example
A____C
8____1
7____2
6____3
etc
>>
>>49630216
Use 10*B/A or something like that if A and B are close together.

Or, have C be more complex than simply A+-B. It can be like:
5 + 10*(B/A) + miscs
10 + B - A/2 + miscs
B*5 - A*2 + miscs

You can play with these easily, as long as you know the order of magnitude of A, B and C. That's something you'll have to tell if you want a fitting formula. Are the average A and B huge? Close to each other? Way bigger than the average C? Around the same size as average C? We need more man.
>>
>>49630520
>>49630536
>>49630563
I was just about to add some ranges. And no, they won't need to do any algebra. Something as simple as A + B = C, for example.

I've also played with making C just a static stat to replace C, but it doesnt make sense if A can increase. The in-game logic doesn't quite work out, and I want some downside to having more A.

Anyway

A can be anything from 1 to about 7 (potentially a little more).

B can be whatever it has to be.

I want C to be anywhere from 2-8.

I hope this helps.
>>
>>49630587
I suppose B can't be negative and has a range of 1~10. Also I suppose B is usually smaller than A. Sure no one will have a 0 in a stat, right?

I suggest either of those:
C = 5 + 2*B - A
C = 5 + (B-A)/2
A can vary wildly. If you have A over 10 and B below 1, you're plain bad at this game. Change the fixed number as you wish to deal with B.
>>
>>49630587
Well then 9-A=C works fine for
A in [1 ,7]
B = 9
C in [2 ,8]

Changes in your B will change your potential range of C accordingly
>>
>>49630662
>>49630216

Also you haven't said there's any relation between B and C. So why was it even in the formula in the first place?
>>
>>49630656
>I suppose B can't be negative and has a range of 1~10. Also I suppose B is usually smaller than A. Sure no one will have a 0 in a stat, right?
This is all correct

>>49630687
C is a separate final stat that comes out of a relationship between B and A. A will be used for a few different things, while B exists just to work with A to find C.
>>
>>49630706
>B exists just to work with A to find C
How's >>49630662 then?
>>
>>49630752
So effectively, B- A = C? That's what I had originally. OR are you saying ti should stay static at 9?
>>
>>49630807
The latter. Though if you change B it will change the range of C.

If B is 9 and A is in [1, 7] C will be in [2, 8].
If B is 9+x and A is in [1, 7] C will be in [2+x, 8+x]
>>
>>49630851
I think I see. I'm gonna try this out
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.