[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/ I just played DnD for the first time the other day.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1471732862619.gif (4MB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
1471732862619.gif
4MB, 440x330px
Hey /tg/ I just played DnD for the first time the other day. Creating a character was fun, but the session was quite sour.

I come to you today to ask how do you quit a group and if you've ever quit after the first session?

My DM railroaded us for three hours. We were bound to walls the entire session and only got to fight one battle which the DM forced us to lose. We had zero choice, and there was no interactivity at all. No gear, no rests, and now we're forced into a string of battles for the next session. I know already that I'm not interested, it doesn't feel like the basic adventure I wanted from a first time player.

Have you ever had a session so bad you just quit the group right afterwards? Or have you ever known you were going to quit halfway through a session?
>>
Let the GM know why you are leaving, but before the next session so they can adjust the before the session date.

Not hard OP.
>>
Yep. The DM refused to put the fiction first in a game I was running. I tried to jump over something and rolled a natural 20. DM said I failed.

> well what was the point of rolling then
> you insisted on rolling
> yes, because I should have a chance of jumping over it
> no, you don't. you can't.
> that's railroading
> no it's not
> you are not putting the fiction first like you are supposed to

I don't think these shit-head DMs understand that if a player rolls a natural 20, YOU REWARD THEM. How hard is this to do? Only one in 20 rolls actually comes up a nat 20, it needs to be an automatic success to help the adventure move forward. So sick of these insecure DMs who can't handle anything but total control over their games. They need to read the Dungeon World GM guide section and learn that roleplaying is a cooperative experience, not DM railroad tyrant hour. I also insisted we start doing cooperative setting creation to help fit our backstories togther. He wouldn't even agree on a session zero! I'm sorry, but that is a CORE element of roleplaying games these days. This isn't the 3.5 era of babby-shit rollplaying anymore. We build our games from the ground up, and that includes a session zero as a NECESSITY.

I stopped letting them play at my house because I just can't stand this kind of back-wards ass GMing, refusing to live in the 21st century and insisting on stupid ass cliches that drag down the entire roleplaying experience.
>>
>>49623150
It can be a difficult needle to thread, but I'd try to be honest with him about why you're leaving without coming across as if you're calling him out. Something like:

"I don't think this game is for me because I didn't feel like I had much freedom to determine the course of the adventure, and that kind of thing is really important to me. I think I'm just looking for something a bit different, so I hope it won't offend you or inconvenience you too much if I drop out of the campaign. I do want to thank you for going through the trouble of running the game and hope that everything works out for you despite my departure."
>>
>>49623272
>Only one in 20 rolls actually comes up a nat 20, it needs to be an automatic success to help the adventure move forward.
Debatable opinion
> . They need to read the Dungeon World GM guide section
Trash opinion
>and learn that roleplaying is a cooperative experience, not DM railroad tyrant hour.
Truth.
>>
>>49624344

> debatable opinion

Then debate it, faggot. You probably can't cause you're a mong who doesn't understand how roleplaying works and has no fucking mental concept of the what goes on behind the DM's screen. You probably never ran a game in your life.

> Trash Opinion

How the fuck do you know? Have YOU read the Dungeon World's GM section? No? THEN YOU HAVE NO FUCKING RIGHT TO COMMENT. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ IT YOURSELF.

You cannot participate in this conversation until you have read the Dungeon World GM section. For all you know it is the greatest DM advice in the world, but you can't know until you fucing read it. It's not even that long. Go. Fucking. Read. It.
>>
>>49624427

Friend, the assertion that a nat20 on a skill check should be an automatic success is one that has been debated many times on this board. It is old, tired ground. Nowhere in the rules does it state that one is an immediate success on skill checks.

Now, should the GM have been so dismissive of your attempting to jump the thing? No.

But were you correct in attacking the GM for not 'putting the fiction first'? No.

If the GM described the thing (let's call it a chasm) as being 40 foot across, with a sheer drop on the other side, a 20 on a skill check won't suddenly catapult me across it.
>>
>>49623150
Just be straight up. I've ran hundreds of D&D games, and even then my players still have things they'd like to see. While he may not be open to suggestions (most other DMs I know get rather picky if you suggest something is wrong) you could simply state that you aren't interested in that style of narrative, like what

>>49623232

said. Just tell him straight up you're not interested in continuing before the next session, and call it a day. You can be tactful about if you want, but it's hardly necessary.

>>49623272
This is stupid. As a DM, I hate you. You aren't rewarded for rolling higher numbers, you're rewarded for succeeding. Just because you happen to roll a nat 20 doesn't mean you're entitled to anything special, (outside of combat, perhaps, in which case you get nice critical hits).

>Need to read Dungeon World GM guide section
Never even heard of it, can't be that important.

Also, session zero is a joke. No one cares that you met at a bakery that your second cousin owns off the coast of a small fishing port.
>>
>>49623150
Is there anyone worth salvaging from the group?
>>
>>49624534
Whilst you make sense, I pictured >>49623272 jumping over, say, a box and being rightly annoyed.

Maybe he could politely clarify?
>>
>>49624800

It would be useful if he did clarify.

Frankly, if the GM required a dice roll to attempt to clear a box, and then deemed a nat20 roll to be a failure, then something odd is happening. Though, based on the description of the session, it would fit.
>>
I was going to reply to your post but that gif made me angry

Goodbye
>>
>>49624834
I'm totally on your side when it comes to Nat 20 is auto success.

However I've known some shit DMs, all of which might easily have pulled "you can't leap a box".
>>
>>49623272
>I don't think these shit-head DMs understand that if a player rolls a natural 20, YOU REWARD THEM

>I try to jump over the mountain
>that's stupid, you're a cleric with 12 str and full plate armor
>I rolled a 20 though
>well shit ya got me don't wanna railroad you
>>
>>49624696

> session zero is a joke because my campaign has the same amount of roleplaying as a game of fucking Chess.

Yeah, that's your opinion faggot. Some of us ROLEPLAY, instead of ROLLPLAYING like you do, thus a session zero helps us organize a cohesive campaign, instead of "lol youre all in this adventure because I wrote it and I said so" which is the kind of bully DM you probably are.
>>
>>49625803

Please tell me you're only roleplaying a retarded teenager. You're really selling it and I'd rather think of you as a skilled roleplayer than an actual immature 'tard.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.