[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eclipse Phase

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 59

File: ep_promo[1].jpg (36KB, 600x408px) Image search: [Google]
ep_promo[1].jpg
36KB, 600x408px
Anyone played this piece of shit right here?

Here's the books if anyone wants them, and a wiki that has all the same information collected and divided into articles:

https://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/

https://eclipse-phase.wikispaces.com

So, Eclipse Phase General, I guess. About to play it for the first time, myself.

What's up with Motivations and why is it so hard to think of good ones?
>>
>>49622497
>eclipse phase general, I guess

Check the archive you silly zero

>Eclipse Phase PDFs
http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf
>X-Risks and After The Fall
https://mega.nz/#F!KwcS0bJK!9KLjZegzebaq-mlPUin45Q

PLAY AIDS:
>10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>Advice for new players and GMs
http://pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
http://www.mediafire.com
>Online character creator
http://eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
https://sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet
>Downloadable Character Creator
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5wr4yo6bdymuijr/Agency.exe
>Singularity: The Official Character Creator
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fsmkm846acu6kcy/singularity.zip

COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
http://awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>Ander's Sandberg's Eclipse Phase fanmade content, including several modules
http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>Farcast: An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>The Ultimate's Guide to Combat
http://eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf
>Seedware: Another Yearblog
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36317552/Seedware%20Blog.pdf

/EPG/ HOMEBREW CONTENT
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit

How did you get mesh access, anyway? That's another six months added to your contract. Hope you like Ruster cock.
>>
>>49622648
For some retarded reason, I didn't even think of the fact that there could be a general in the archive. I just did a search for Eclipse Phase in current OP:s.

Thanks for not being an asshat and thanks for the help. You are clearly a greater smar/tg/uy than I.
>>
File: Musso-Reapy.jpg (331KB, 927x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Musso-Reapy.jpg
331KB, 927x1000px
>>49622743

/epg/ is actually pretty regular, but not regular/popular enough someone is always around to bump/make threads.
>>
File: Barsoomians again.png (14KB, 653x180px) Image search: [Google]
Barsoomians again.png
14KB, 653x180px
>>49622743
Don't worry about it

http://imgur.com/a/E2IEe

These images will get you up to speed
>>
I'm in the process of making a character for my first run of Eclipse Phase, and the concept is basically a Lost Generation with the Criminal Faction, but he was being "raised" to be a police officer, before the entire Project Futura went straight to hell.

So he's a fucking basket case with the Disorders of PTSD, Addiction to Neem (also as a trait; Major Addiction), and Hypochondria. He's got Combat Paralysis, he's Poorly Socialized, Socially Graceless, has Bad Luck and has a full-on Debt to the russian mob on Titania. He's also got Incompetent (Protocol).

But he's also basically a genius, he just has zero functionality in society. He's got Math Wiz, Hyper Linguist, Fast Learner, Exceptional Aptitude (INT) and Expert (Investigation), amongst other traits. He tries to do good, but he's a fucking wreck and a reluctant async and criminal. His next Disorder will probably be Depression and, judging from the people I'm going to play with, they're unlikely to be the kind of people he actually respects.

He has a single friend who is an Emergent AGI Uplift, and she'll probably be producing drugs, with motivations of wealth. She's practically new-(re)born and I'm an accelerated-growth basket-case. Play-wise, I think it's going to be fun as hell, exploring what ultimately is an entire universe, together, and it's going to be a scenario of the blind leading the blind.

But I cannot, for the fucking life of me, think of any good Motivations. Many of the suggested motivations are either very self-serving (Fame, Personal Growth, Wealth, etc) or larger-than-life ideological. Neither fits my basket-case of a wannabe cop reluctant-async criminal.

I've gotten as far as formulating two Motivations, subject to discussion with the GM (who is also new) as to whether they'll fit into the campaign.

But I really, really could use some help with a 3rd one.

I have to post the 2 Motivations I have in a separate post, because otherwise this post gets too long.
>>
File: Callahan-6 Avatar 400x400.png (644KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Callahan-6 Avatar 400x400.png
644KB, 400x400px
>>49622935
>But I really, really could use some help with a 3rd one.
>I have to post the 2 Motivations I have in a separate post, because otherwise this post gets too long.

+Justice. Callahan has a strong personal sense of justice, although oft-compromised. There's right and there's wrong, and he always tries - and often fails - to pursue that which is fair, if not legal, and will go that extra mile if it means stickin' it to wrongdoers, if at all possible. Moral relativism just isn't his thing - even when he does that which is wrong, he does so knowing it's wrong. You don't always have to like it, just do it.

-Anarchism. Corporate and technological anarchism is what resulted in Project Futura, no matter how benign the aspirations were. That same lack of oversight and legal responsibility permeates modern society, and Callahan looks down upon the degenerate masses to which he belongs. Callahan is long from being a functioning and productive member of society, but still support the ideals of cultural hegemony, basic social structures, organized government and the foundations of civilization.

Picture related. That's Arthur Callahan Sherlock. Yes, his name was assigned him and it's just as cringy for him as it is for you. He was synthraised on the Siegel/Doyle-server cluster during Project Futura.
>>
>>49622497
Delete this so people can make a proper general
>>
>>49623037
Make a proper general and I promise I'll delete this shortly afterwards. My fuckup, after all.
>>
>>49622935
>>49623010

Well, for an Async, +/- Self-Control and +/- Neurodiversity are always interesting angles, usually relating to how an async feels about themselves and their abilities.

+Neurodiversity might work in a kind of "fuck you I'm still functional and useful to society even because I'm messed up". You obviously aren't "nominal", but can still have interesting/valuable input to society.

And with Lost (including my own lost player) it's also incredibly common to see motivations related to the project. People who want revenge on those who operated the project. Those who want to understand the truth of the project. Those who want to start the project again.
>>
>>49622935
You've taken too many negative traits. RAW only allows -50 points worth, while the ones you've picked have a total of almost 100. You'll find that in an actual game you'll only be able to roleplay and make a small handful relevant anyway, so pick whichever ones are most important to the character and use those.
>>
>>49623085

Remember a lost gets two Mental Disorders, and Psi 2 would require a third one.
>>
>>49623071
> –Self-Control
that's a red flag if I ever saw one.
>>
>>49623085
>You've taken too many negative traits.

SHIT. I swear to fucking god I scanned over the fucking book three times trying to find a limit, but I couldn't find one. That's frustrating as hell.

There's nothing on pg. 145 (when the section on Traits starts) and there's nothing in the beginning of the Character Creation section or in the outline on pg. 130.

Another check reveals that the note on the limitation of 50 points is apparently buried between the Background/Faction Section and the start of Motivations.

I had been focusing on detailing the character and it's concepts (of which traits are potentially a major part) before I started putting points into skills and so based on the concept.

Well, shit, this really throws a wrench into the works. Gon' have to take this up with my GM. I think he's missed that too.

Maybe he'll let it pass if he sees that I'm not min-maxing shit. There's also some things I really took just because I thought it fitted, like Hyper-Linguist, even though I don't intend to make him a Linguist.

But at the same time, I always understand when people want to stick to the pure rules, especially in the beginning.

>>49623071
>Well, for an Async, +/- Self-Control and +/- Neurodiversity are always interesting angles, usually relating to how an async feels about themselves and their abilities.

He doesn't give much of a fuck about Neurodiversity as he's practically an anti-tumblrite and a normie-lover (he'd probably be a Jovian if the Jovian Republic wasn't such a ridiculous, ham-fisted boogey-man in the fluff, and if the Jovian Republic wasn't so ass-backwards when it comes to humans; as long as the human form is preserved in it's essence, Callahan does not mind, so Exalts, Mentons, Futuras, Fausts, etc, are still essentially human to him).

But Self-Control. That's a really great one. Now, my fuckup with the Traits may make this go away (which is frustrating), but originally he's got Combat Paralysis, and hate himself.
>>
File: rage_by_moulinbleu-d6fydj8[1].jpg (233KB, 800x518px) Image search: [Google]
rage_by_moulinbleu-d6fydj8[1].jpg
233KB, 800x518px
>>49623119
>Remember a lost gets two Mental Disorders, and Psi 2 would require a third one.

Yeah, but I'm still way, waaaaaay over the limit, easily over 100 points Negative and Positive. I was currently sitting at:

Positive Traits:
Psi 2 (-25 CP)
Psi Defense 2 (-20 CP)
Psi Chameleon (-10 CP)
Math Wiz (-10 CP)
Hyper Linguist (-10 CP)
Fast Learner (-10 CP)
Potent Mind (-5 CP)
Exceptional Aptitude (INT) (-20 CP)
Expert (Investigation) (-10 CP)

Negative Traits:
Mental Disorder (Hypocondriac) (Psi trait 2)
Addiction (Major, Neem) (+20 CP)
Combat Paralysis (+20 CP)
Poorly Socialized (+10 CP)
Socially Graceless (+10 CP)
Debt, level 3 (+30 CP)
Bad Luck (+30 CP)
Incompetent (Protocol) (+10 CP)

That's 110 Positive and 130 Negative. Fucking hell. It all sorta worked together for the character, too.

>mfw
>>
>>49623641

Well, the traits you get from your background (The Psi 1 and two mental disorders) don't count, because you don't pay for them, nor does the third you get when you buy Psi 2 for 5 points.

That said, yeah, you need to lose some traits. Hyperlinguist and Math Whiz can basically be implanted, and Exception Aptitude is very expensive for little benefit to you directly. Bad Luck and high Debt give a lot of points back, but might not be required thematically.
>>
File: homeless_person_laptop[1].jpg (33KB, 400x249px) Image search: [Google]
homeless_person_laptop[1].jpg
33KB, 400x249px
>>49623786
>Well, the traits you get from your background (The Psi 1 and two mental disorders) don't count, because you don't pay for them

Yeah, that's why I didn't list them. I've got them sorted elsewhere in the notes, and count those under combined Advantages/Disadvantages from Background & Faction.

>That said, yeah, you need to lose some traits.

Yeah, for Positives, I can reliably (although reluctantly) cut:

Math Wiz (makes me sad, though; him being a bit of a damaged savant was part of the concept)
Hyper Linguist (lel)
Psi Defense (nice, but honestly, I took them to be le psyker)
Psi Chameleon (same)
Potent Mind is debatable. I'd really like to have it, just because it's about punching things with my mind, when all else fails, but I'll live without it.

I really want to keep Psi 2, Fast Learner, Exceptional Aptitude and Expert, though. Still, that's a lot closer to 50 points.

For negatives, it's harder. The Addiction to Neem ties into one of his mandated mental disorders, Combat Paralysis is practically a thematic necessity by now, as is his Debt.

I could lose Bad Luck, because I took it because I want him to just be fucking unlucky, for the lulz, but the compound social incompetence is also pretty important to the character concept by now.

And arguably, having too many Negative Traits is more of an issue than too many positive, since you get CP:s from it. I'd consider taking them at no CP bonus, though, if that's OK with the GM, when push comes to shove.

There's really no way out of this other than talking to him when he gets on. Thanks for bouncing ideas, though.
>>
File: bender[1].jpg (165KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bender[1].jpg
165KB, 1024x768px
>>49623071
>- Self-Control

Most motivations comes with.. a motivation. What could possibly be the motivation behind having -Self-Control as a motivation?

An uptight AGI that really, really needs to loosen up, kick back, and relax, and it knows it, yet feel unable to do so?
>>
>>49624295

Well, what's the motivation or goal with +Self-Control? You obviously have something about the self you need to hold back or be in control of, maybe muster some discipline.

Well, if you're a crazy async, you could just as easily be "no, fuck you, I do what I want". You're not playing a stable or rational person (and we can argue plenty of people aren't stable or rational without Psi) why do your goals and motivations need to be rational? That said, actually being -Self-Control can easily be a stepping stone to classic "Chaotic Neutral I whatever because chaos" characters, it should be reserved for characters who actually have say, something going on they could be in control off and make a decision to not be. Like somebody who choses to solve all problems with psychic powers.
>>
>>49624463
I guess it comes down to what you think of Motivations. I think of them as something the character pushes for or wants to achieve, or things that keeps them going.

-Self-Control to me suggests someone that actively wants to lose control, not just someone that is a loose cannon or someone that happens to be chaotic neutral.

I agree that it's a stepping stone to the classic herp-derp chaotic stupid characters, though. It risks being someone that actively does shit just because it's random shit, and it's a very odd thing to have as an actual motivation, but I guess it could work for sincerely insane characters that actively want to wreak havoc or believes in some demented form of chaos theory.

>it should be reserved for characters who actually have say, something going on they could be in control off and make a decision to not be. Like somebody who choses to solve all problems with psychic powers.

That's just it, it's.. I guess it comes down to what you think Motivations are. I would say that someone that is in control of something but chooses to let go is just irresponsible, and have poor self-control; it's still odd to *pursue* poor self-control, I think.

>Like somebody who choses to solve all problems with psychic powers.

But either you think that's a good idea, thus it's not poor self-control, but merely a questionable decision, or you know it's a bad idea but do it anyway, meaning you're an idiot, not someone with poor self-control or pursuing poor self-control.

I dunno, maybe I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
>>
>>49625060

Motivations do clearly have goals tied into them (As achieving them gets you bonus RP), and they can be short term or long term, but the game text itself says they do not have to be a specific outcome, but can also be your personal ideology.

A character with -Law And Order does not necessarily have a specific outcome in mind. Rather, they will act to oppose people or things that represent law and order, and will probably do so regardless of context due to their personal beliefs. A character with -Self-Control as an ideological point is driven not to engage in self-control, and proactively probably only works if the character has some kind of addiction, disorder or behavioral problem which would push their emotions or impulses into situations where normally people would exert "self control".
>>
File: 1421036949524.png (151KB, 1380x762px) Image search: [Google]
1421036949524.png
151KB, 1380x762px
>>49622497
Fucking newfags.
>>
>>49625276
>A character with -Self-Control as an ideological point is driven not to engage in self-control, and proactively probably only works if the character has some kind of addiction, disorder or behavioral problem which would push their emotions or impulses into situations where normally people would exert "self control".

Fair points.
>>
File: epginanutshell.png (2MB, 836x1777px) Image search: [Google]
epginanutshell.png
2MB, 836x1777px
>>
>>49622497
>Anyone played this piece of shit right here?
If only every general started on such a high note
>>
>>49627265

Well, it's kind of in our style.
>>
>>49623786
Math Wiz and Hyper Linguist are also implants, so drop them unless you're doing a poorfag campaign. Exceptional Aptitude and Expert are almost always unnecessary, as a morph that is cheap enough to not gib you at the start usually limits your aptitude anyway, and complimentary skills will make up for the need for the extra points in your skill of choice.

Negative traits. Wow. Your character is functionally retarded and not fit to be an agent.

>>49624233
Psi Defense, Psi Chameleon, and potent mind are all good, but are for different types of characters. Psi Chameleon is good for anti-Async offense, Psi-Defense is good for anti-Async defense, and Potent mind is good for ignoring armor against biomorphs, so full frontal assault asyncs. Trying to do everything will make sure that you can't do anything well.

Also, bear in mind that, as an async, you would do well to have some sort of negative trait that well defines your relationship with Cognite. Somehow, I doubt that Cognite settled for letting your character go for a large unpaid fee, so Debt III is silly. Enemy or Black Mark are common. Anyway, you can roleplay being socially retarded to the extent that your traits suggest, but your companions won't exactly be too thrilled with it, especially when you're deliberately causing plans to fail because you're doing so.
>>
File: why_political_compass_is_shit.png (720KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
why_political_compass_is_shit.png
720KB, 2000x2000px
>>49627228
>>
File: Monolith.png (1MB, 1195x782px) Image search: [Google]
Monolith.png
1MB, 1195x782px
>>
File: Combat Panda.jpg (622KB, 840x1266px) Image search: [Google]
Combat Panda.jpg
622KB, 840x1266px
>>
>>49628644
>Math Wiz and Hyper Linguist are also implants, so drop them

I hate this line of thinking. You should pick traits because they fit the character and is a part of it, not pass on them because you can get them as implants.

The "don't get that character trait, you can buy equipment later that does the same thing" is complete min/max faggotry.

>a poorfag campaign.
Well, he's got a 3rd-rank Debt. That's 60k credits and another 3d10 x 500 credits in weekly interest. And a major drug addiction.
>>
>>49631842

Well, if you're so strapped that you've like, spend double your trait allowance, the "if you really want this effect you can replicate it with morphs/implants" carries some decent weight. You only get so many traits, gotta pick which makes the most sense for your character,
>>
>>49628644
>Somehow, I doubt that Cognite settled for letting your character go for a large unpaid fee, so Debt III is silly.

That's.. that's really not for you to decide. If it makes sense for the character.

An unknown number (of an unknown original total) of The Lost was released into the general population, and by the time they realized they were all asyncs and tried to round them all up again, many had been arrested or died, and yet more entered lengthy resocialization programs and therapy, and many just flat-out disappeared.

In my case, I'm one of the ones that did everything I could to keep my head down to avoid the witch-hunts that ensued, and in dodging manhunters and being trafficked cross-system, amassed a massive debt to the russian Vory on Titania.

It has nothing to do with Cognite "letting your character go for a large unpaid fee", don't be retarded.

>Negative traits. Wow. Your character is functionally retarded and not fit to be an agent.

>Anyway, you can roleplay being socially retarded to the extent that your traits suggest, but your companions won't exactly be too thrilled with it, especially when you're deliberately causing plans to fail because you're doing so.

You're being a drama queen. All Poorly Socialized does is impose a -10 to social skills when you meet someone for the first time, and Socially Graceless let's the GM fuck up one social interaction of which the character takes part, once per session, and Incompetence (Protocol) makes you useless in that one social skill, Protocol.

Hardly something earth-shattering that'll consistently and *deliberately* fuck up the party like some chaotic stupid or functionally retarded gimmick-character.

You really do sound like a min-maxing faggot that is trying to win the game somehow. Goddamn.
>>
>>49629275
>Monolith.png

Well that's just horrifying.

I guess that's on Luna? Nice. We're going to Luna. In fact, we're starting there.

Yup.

Good times.
>>
File: DigitalInfection.png (2MB, 1195x718px) Image search: [Google]
DigitalInfection.png
2MB, 1195x718px
>>49632207

I'm not sure if it's anywhere in particular, it's just one of many pieces of art of freaky shit in X-Risks.
>>
>>49628749
Where do the Ultimates fall on this?
>>
>>49632397

Top-right, right on that line there.
>>
>>49632397
>Where do the Ultimates fall on this?

Ultimates seeeeem to be big on personal freedom, and prefer to concern themselves with.. well.. themselves, rather than enforcing social structure or norms, even though they hate the decadent and unfocused.

I sincerely wish there'd be something like a mash-up between the Ultimates and the Jovian Republic (but slightly less stupid and shallow).

But I guess that'd appeal to too many people and end up making the setting a bit more shallow, but it's not like the writing is stellar to begin with. There's a lot of ham-fisting in-between the good bits.
>>
>>49632446
That's just the Rajputs. They're ultimates who don't use any advanced gear. Almost everything is "analog" and they're not networked digitally at all.
>>
>>49632463
>That's just the Rajputs. They're ultimates who don't use any advanced gear. Almost everything is "analog" and they're not networked digitally at all.

I didn't realize there were different flavours of Ultimates. I was just going by the sample Ultimates character and the section on Ultimates in the core rulebook.

Where is it possible to read more? Is there a section in some book that's good?
>>
>>49632481
It's scattered throughout all of them. I forget which books the Rajputs are originally mentioned in. There are three main flavours of ultimates. Exceptionalists just want to fuck off and start their own civilization and leave humanity to rot. Overhumanists want to exterminate all genetrash. Iconics wants to be teachers and role models for the rest of transhumanity.
>>
>>49632481

Rimward and Firewall are probably the best. Rimward describes a lot of their ranking, philosophy and I'm pretty sure handles their internal politics, and then Firewall talks about their subgroups who explicitly fight x-risk type shit; Rajput and Purifiers.
>>
>>49632481
Rimward and Firewall have all the info.

The Rajput are practically the Ultimate inner circle. They're self-perfected warriors who are all veterans of the Fall or another combat with the TITANs. (Notably, the proto-Rajput won the only victory against the TITANs in Beijing). They're ultra self-reliant and specialize in environments where no tech can be truly trusted.

The Purifiers are another faction, they're extra militaristic, and have cut their teeth fighting the Rorties and other Exhumans in the extrasolar war being fought through the Discord gates. They're kind of like Space Marines, with a big warrior brotherhood and honor and exceptionalism going for them. Possibly my favorite faction of them.
>>
>>49632535
What's up with the Rortians anyway?
>>
Any genersl advice for someone setting up their first EP campaign?
>>
>>49632518
>Overhumanists want to exterminate all genetrash.
Mah niggers.

>>49632531
>>49632535
Thanks for all the info, it's really helpful, getting a feel and idea of the universe.

>Space Marines

I've been thinking about that. There are combat morphs, but it's almost weird to me how the archetypical space marine is absent from the biomorph line-up. Or at least, none are depicted as such.

Either way, if something happens to the ego of my first character or if the campaign dies or reboots or something, I'm almost definitely going to roll up an Ultimate next time around.

All this talk about them made them feel a lot more like a credible foundation for something, and as long a they stick to the idea of humanity fuck yeah, I'm all for it

Who needs the faux-democratic Jovian Republic of Bush-ites and Francoists, when there's an aspiring imperium of actual potential fascists just around the corner, and who aren't ass-backwards regressives and reactionaries?
>>
Oh, by the way, I have a general question: when sleeving into a new ("human") biomorph, is it possible, thematically/fluff-wise, to maintain a degree of.. self?

As in, let's say I'm legit a Futura. I was born that way. Or a Hazer, or Ghost or Fury. You get the drift.

And let's say I want to upgrade. But I don't just want to pick any random clone or stock option available, I want the morph to essentially be.. "me".

Is that something that is doable, or does that sound retarded, not in the spirit of the universe, or just plain odd?

Obviously certain aspects of yourself *would* change, no matter what. Sure, you were born/grown a Futura, but if you would create such a thing as a Hazer and sleeve into it, it'd still be more slender and with lighter muscle structure.

I guess, to condense the question; is it possible to use yourself as a basic template or genetic foundation for subsequent "human" biomorphs?
>>
>>49633130
Sure, though depending on the morph, such bases would be reduced to cosmetics.
>>
Why would anyone take Morph Traits on creation? Once the morph dies, those CP:s are lost, while Ego Traits, Aptitudes and Skills lasts as long as your ego. No?
>>
>>49633059
>the archetypical space marine

Take the Ultimate faction, start with a Remade Morph, and take the Enlarged Size morph trait (10 CP) and Tought 3 (30 CP).
>>
>>49633059
Genetrash includes the Jovians.
>>
>>49633130
Well yeah, but that would probably just boiling down to having their faces all look the same.
>>
>>49633130
>I guess, to condense the question; is it possible to use yourself as a basic template or genetic foundation for subsequent "human" biomorphs?

I'd imagine that it'd cost a fair bit extra if you wanted it to match your original genetics - you've got to grow your biomorph, which adds time, and you're presumably going to want to keep it in storage as well, which adds additional costs. Personally, in my game, I'd keep that sort of shit as the purview of the fabulously wealthy, who can afford the luxury of maintaining a fleet of perfect genetic replicas of their original body stored across the various places they visit and do business at.

On the cheaper end of the spectrum, bodysculpting is a Low cost cost cosmetic mod, which is a far more affordable option if you're absolutely desperate to make sure that every human-ish morph you sleeve into has red hair, green eyes and giant testicles, or whatever it is your character finds maintains their sense of self across resleevings. Getting a cosmetic mod or two is one of those things that I've generally assumed most NPCs do, to help them be "them" rather than just looking like an off-the-shelf / fresh-out-the-vat Serrano Splicer (Model TG-12af).

In the course of your normal Firewall sort of game, though, you're probably going to have to sacrifice that desire for morphological purity on the bloody altar of This Mission Has Gone Tits Up And We Need New Bodies Right Now.
>>
File: The Gate War.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
The Gate War.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49632580
Synth-using psychosurgery-happy exhumans with their own gate empire. See pdf for details.
>>
>>49628749
>why political compass is shit
>image is the same graph at an angle
>>
>>49633702
Is that official in any way, or completely homebrew? Sounds cool, either way.
>>
File: this_rave_is_crazy.png (238KB, 510x320px) Image search: [Google]
this_rave_is_crazy.png
238KB, 510x320px
>>49633673
>In the course of your normal Firewall sort of game, though, you're probably going to have to sacrifice that desire for morphological purity on the bloody altar of This Mission Has Gone Tits Up And We Need New Bodies Right Now.

Well, as it is, we in fact *are* going to be playing what I assume is "your normal Firewall sort of game", at least based on what the GM has been telling me.

He's also told me that owing to my traits (all of which he accepted) he's going to fuck with me so bad it's hilarious. We joked that he won't need a DMPC (I've always hated DMPC:s and I always joke that every major character of his is a DMPC) because he'll live vicariously through tormenting me with my Bad Luck and my massive, gargantuan debt.

I'm sure that resleeving like mad is going to do wonders for my debilitating psychological condition.

>>49633574
>Genetrash includes the Jovians.

Well. According to Ultimates, yeah. Fucking flats. Filthy and unclean is what they are.
>>
>>49632397
The Ultimates don't fall on the spectrum properly since they're a cult, not a government. Ultimate-run habs where non-Ultimates are allowed don't really exist, so there's no real way to tell.
>>
>>49634690
What traits did you go for? I'm always hoping that my players will willingly saddle themselves with some extra CP and roleplaying opportunities via them, there's a whole load of them that I've never got to play with.

The closest I've got to weirdness from players was seeing a chap who wanted to take the "Lost Fork" negative trait (from Transhuman) and the "Wait, That Was You?" (from Panopticon), with the idea that he and his now missing fork were the stars of the briefly viral "Two Sylphs One Cup" video. He ended up changing his mind, which is a shame, because I had this sub-plot worked out where his missing fork was kidnapped by a bizarrely rabid fan of the thirty second clip, and was looking to make a sequel.
>>
>>49633130
This is the whole thing about Eclipse Phase. You first have to buy into the Ego-Morph dichotomy, that there is a "you" that is separate from your biology, that if you start in morph a, sleeve into morph b for a while, and then sleeve back into morph a, you're the same person you were before, more experienced. Apparently, the biological differences slightly influence your proclivities and disposition, but there's some baseline that's always there.

Now, this isn't scientifically sound, but this is the axiom by which the setting is built.

>>49633346
As long as your total physical equipment expenditure is equal to or less than the average of your group, then you're fine. In past discussions, people seemed to agree with the suggestion that the 40 CP morphs seem to be made as intended starting morphs, so I'd say that the intended total physical equipment expenditure in your average campaign is 42.5CP, including the worth of starting credits in CP.
>>
>>49632754
What kind of campaign?
>>
>>49634636
There was a Rortian mega-Fenrir in X-Risks. So it seems they've been canonized.
>>
>>49634690
They also use the term zeroes for people like the Jovians or hyper Corp slaves.

Actually, what do the Jovians think of the Ultimates?
>>
>>49631842
>My character is good at math, so he should have the Math Wiz trait
:^)
Seriously, though, it's something that should be rather rare as a natural ego trait, but it's something that scientists have been able to replicate with bioware, and mental augmentations are "extremely common". It's not about min/maxing. It's about not being such a snowflake. If anyone's a munchkin, it's the guy who took 100 CP of positive traits and 130 CP of negative traits.

>well, he's got Debt III and a major drug addiction
A poorfag campaign as in a traditional cyberpunk campaign where you're all in cheap morphs with lemons and obsolescence and shit, have no or little access to advanced technology, and are fighting against the Man.
>>
What's the best weapon for a frontline combat character? Sniper rifles and assault rifles would be my first assumption.
>>
>>49635501
If the memes here have taught me anything, the math says dual SMGs with hollowpoints out damage literally any other option.

That said, the particle bolter has always been my personal favorite.
>>
>>49635501
Sniper rifles are not front-line.
>>
>>49635587
They seem pretty devastating form any range.
>>
>>49635601
That's because it's left up to your gm to assign negative modifiers for stuff like trying to room clear with a twenty inch barrel.
>>
>>49635635
It's an adaptive reactive barrel made of space materials. Don't abstract the rules too much or you end up with SR4e.
>>
>>49635421
>It's about not being such a snowflake.
I'm usually all about not being a snowflake, but Eclipse Phase seems to be all about being a snowflake. I even edited my character portrait specifically because I felt the base portrait I was using looked like too much of a normie - so much of a not-snowflake that that, in itself, became snowflake-y.

That being said, I don't think the character comes across as a snowflake at all - or at least not more so than most others. RAW-breaking aside, I think it all ties nicely into a well fleshed-out background, while avoiding being some super-unique thing.

True, The Lost can be considered snowflake-like, because there's not that many of them (comparatively speaking), but the more I look at character creation, the more I think Eclipse Phase is actually lacking a bit when it comes to Backgrounds. They're all incredibly generic or incredibly specific, and there's not really that many to choose from. Choice of Faction is mildly better.

>If anyone's a munchkin, it's the guy who took 100 CP of positive traits and 130 CP of negative traits.

110 Positive, actually. Hr-hrm. Not that it makes things better.

That being said, does the setup come across as munchkin-y? I don't think so at all, but I also have no hands-on experience with the system. I'd consider it munchkin-y if it's building towards being overpowered in some way, maybe even game-breaking (or attempted game-breaking), but I don't feel like anything I picked was munchkin-like. Hell, I was even prepared to ditch the free CP, just to get the negative traits anyway.

Fortunately, I worked things out with my GM and after some thinking he said it was all OK, but that he's going to be fucking around with me a lot, have me do favours for the mob, basically force me to steal shit during ops just so I can pay my debts, and fuck me over with bad luck. Honestly, best-case scenario for me, because it means my character gets integrated into the game.
>>
>>49635708
If they wanted you to be that snowflakey, they wouldn't have put the cap on positive and negative traits at all, besides the negative morph trait cap, which is there to discourage frail syphilitic dwarf flats that you dump at game start for a synthmorph you fab up.
>>
File: diO9nYB.jpg (182KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
diO9nYB.jpg
182KB, 426x640px
>>49636941
>judges snowflakeness solely based on the number of traits
>>
I found a hard cover copy of the rulebook sitting around a bookstore in Tokyo right next to the section where they keep the porn manga.

I was going to pick it up, but it was like 7k yen (around $70) and decided not to.
>>
>>49635317
Any sort. I'm more looking for tips mechanically or with the broad setting; things a first-timer will mess up.
>>
>>49633059
>>49633525
Visually a Bruiser Morph is probably most similar, but an Enlarged Size Fury is probably closest in terms of everything else. Remades aren't quite dedicated combat morphs after all.

There is a Security Pod variant called space marine, but they aren't very 40k.

>>49635339
I think that first turned in Gatecrashing.

>>49635501
Frontline combat where? Hidden Concern Enforcers aren't going to use any of the same gear as the Solarian Defense Force for an extreme example.
>>
File: Wormholes.png (2MB, 595x1545px) Image search: [Google]
Wormholes.png
2MB, 595x1545px
>>
>>49632446
>Ultimates seeeeem to be big on personal freedom, and prefer to concern themselves with.. well.. themselves, rather than enforcing social structure or norms, even though they hate the decadent and unfocused.
Depends on the subgroup. The Overhumanists are the most prominent of the subgroups of Ultimates, and they are also the most likely to become an existential threat. They believe in the use of force in eradicating the weak, rather than simply ignoring and abandoning them (as the Exceptionalists desire to do).

But then there are the Iconists, who believe it is the duty of the Ultimates to help others in becoming more than they are. Fear of progress is itself a genetic flaw that they must help eradicate.

They're the closest thing to a friendly public face in the Ultimates. Their version of "liberals"
>>
>talk to a new friend
>they have a homebrew hard sci-fi setting with transhumans and friendly extrasolar intelligences
>mfw they want to love Eclipse Phase but it's too dark for them

And because they're curious, can you have a furry morph?
>>
>>49639598
Yes. Cosmetic biosculpting is easily available.
>>
>>49639598
Look up critters.
>>
>>49639611

bless you
>>
>>49632535
>The Rajput are practically the Ultimate inner circle.
Combat factions in the Ultimates aren't really like a closed group at all. Ultimates regularly change membership to a faction depending on how bored they are with the job they are doing.

The Rajput are a TITAN-killing unit. The Purifiers are a Discord Garrison/Exhuman-killing unit. Any Exemplar with the stones to take on these threats can join either group if they aren't already predisposed, and many do solely to get the skills and training that such an assignment will provide.

The inner circle you're thinking of are the Autarchs.
>>
File: Rajput.png (1MB, 563x1545px) Image search: [Google]
Rajput.png
1MB, 563x1545px
>>
File: Purifiers.png (1MB, 558x1544px) Image search: [Google]
Purifiers.png
1MB, 558x1544px
>>
>>49639787
Yes, but the Rajputs are also almost exclusively made up of higher ranking Ultimates by virtue of the fact it's a title that refers to those with experience fighting TITANs. Veterans of the Fall from Earth or Mars, or minor scuffles since then.

You don't sign up to be a Rajput, you get called one and get to be part of that club once you've proven yourself and climbed the ladder a little.
>>
>>49639598
>furry morph
This is why we get laughed at.
>>
>>49642308
>Yes, but the Rajputs are also almost exclusively made up of higher ranking Ultimates by virtue of the fact it's a title that refers to those with experience fighting TITANs.
It's not a rank like General, but a position like "member of the Navy SEALs". Anyone who is at least an Exemplar can join them (those ranked below Exemplar likely aren't considered trusted enough for the position).

We already know the Ultimate's ranking system. The Rajput aren't part of it.

>You don't sign up to be a Rajput, you get called one and get to be part of that club once you've proven yourself and climbed the ladder a little.
Bullshit and a half. You become a Rajput when you face the TITANs and survive. That's it.

It's not a rank, it's an achievement. One that nets you huge perks and a title of recognition, that lets other Ultimates know how badass you are.

Perhaps I was wrong to call them special forces, but they technically are. Rajput can be called upon by command if the TITAN threat arises. But they can also be a member of any other group. It's like the Arrow of Light for Boy Scouts, or a Medal of Honor.
>>
>>49642581
That's what I meant. There's no formal way to become one but it does refer to a relatively specific group of people. It's like the Medal of Honor if you never actually got a medal and all the Medal of Honor holders were able to form a special task force.
>>
>>49642621
Yeah, but it still isn't exclusive to higher-ranking members.

Anyone can be Rajput. Most of them are going to be Exemplar or higher (because from Exemplar on, you get to choose your combat assignments and shit), but you could also become one by merit of being in the right (wrong?) place at the right time.
>>
>>49642766
The books make it sound like it is only very senior members, and specifically those that fought in the Fall. There's also only 200 of them, but they occupy 85% of the highest level of authority.
>>
How would an AGI that is terribly afraid of betraying humanity fit into the EP setting?
>>
>>49643555
>How would a baby TITAN afraid of growing up fit into the EP setting?

Pretty well actually
>>
>>49637470
No input?
>>
I hope the crime book has in-setting lore written from the perspective of actual criminals from all across the solar system. Not Firewall sentinels with anarchist leanings that spends 50 paragraphs rambling about the inherent flaws of hypercapitalism and how meanwhile autonomists have no poverty or crime to speak of other than "the occasional asshole".

I guess that's too much to ask for tho
>>
>>49643592
>das "AGI=baby TITAN" meme

Please, stop. You Epsilon-Minus Semi-Morons do not understand the first thing about intelligence, artificial or otherwise.
>>
>>49643702
>baby TITAN "meme"
>artificial """intelligence"""

Whatever you say, anarkiddo
>>
I am looking for game to join, preferably roll20. Anyone running a game with open spots?
>>
File: tips akubra.png (11KB, 347x460px) Image search: [Google]
tips akubra.png
11KB, 347x460px
>>49622497
Draw your character, /epg/!
>>
>>49643739
>"everyone who disagrees with me is an anarkiddo!"

Look, pal, it's common knowledge that AGIs are based on human neurology. Human. Not supercomputer. TITANs were supercomputers, not human nervous systems. Understand?
>>
>>49643790
>AGIs are based on human neurology

Oh that's right, I forgot about the human mind's ability to recursively self improve, undergo hard takeoff, become infected with an alien virus and exterminate 90 percent of the species
>>
>>49643903
They don't Except for the thrid one, which is my point. TITANs are a fundamentally different kind of intelligence than AGIs, no matter what your untreated PTSD tells you. Now go gorge yourself on comfurt and fabbed chicken tendies, indenture.
>>
>>49637470
>>49643600
It's a little hard to work with a question that broad. Are you looking for help with combat? Pacing? tech stuff?

>>49643790
Not all AGIs use human neurology as a base, many are uplifts, either of animals or expert systems, and that's still excluding emergent AGI. Emergent intelligence is really the one you have to watch out for, Firewall was even founded from EAI hunters and such, among other things.
>>
File: eclipse phase again.jpg (113KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
eclipse phase again.jpg
113KB, 600x600px
>>49643982
>thinking machines are a fundamentally different kind of intelligence than thinking machines

I can see there's no arguing with you. Good thing Cognite curbed your intelligence.
>>
>>49644040
Okay, an example then: Everyone I've ever seen says to use the character generation packages in Transhuman because they're less fucked to work with than the base game. That sort of thing- overcomplicated trap options, rules that really don't matter/actively harm the game, the sort of things I need to either pay super close attention to in the rules to make a campaign go off properly or to ditch to make it not fall apart.

Only specific question I have is how you guys have handled the whole "everyone has mesh access at basically all times" deal when it comes to gathering information. But I'd like more than *just* the answer to that.
>>
>>49644084
Actually he is right and you are the moron in this discussion.

An AI based on human neurology, would be very different than an AI based on the architecture of a supercomputer cluster.
>>
>>49637470
>mechanically
Read through the books, hang here for discussion and talk about your views of the setting and its secrets, then pick up the GURPS conversion for mechanics.
>>
>>49644299
>GURPS

Skip /epg/ and head on over to /oncology/, because you're cancer
>>
>>49644417
Eclipse Phase's system is a joke. If you prefer, there's D6, Savage Worlds, Gumshoe, or Marvel Heroic as well.
>>
>>49639598
>too dark for them
Pussies. What the fuck do you expect with hard sci-fi? You have to explain the cosmic filter and you have a speed limit. You're not likely to meet any aliens during your lifetime and any that you do meet are most likely not friendly.

>>49643790
>AGIs are based on human neurology
In general, yes, but there are ones based on uplift species, ones that emerge to sapience on their own, and ones that are close to emerging to sapience that are then uplifted to full sapience artificially. The last two are rare, but uplift species-based AGI should be common enough.
>>
>>49644176

>Only specific question I have is how you guys have handled the whole "everyone has mesh access at basically all times" deal when it comes to gathering information.

Roll Research usually. If you pass, you should get some relevant bits of information depending on the time frame and type of search you did (there's actually some broad rules for this). If you fail, you don't find anything useful in the first couple pages of space google - though "common" searches should just be Simple Success tests not full blown pass/fail tests.

If you didn't buy Research, your Muse has is at 30, and thus can Siri for you but that's about the amount of detail you'll get out of it.
>>
>>49643775

I've seen another image of this guy.

Who's this glorious rust red bastard?
>>
>>49644782
Neat, okay.

I'm tossing around a few ideas. Would it be total shit to let players decide on all their mental/skills/etc stuff, and stick them in common morphs they'd lose at the end of their first mission? I'm thinking something along the lines of:
>hab's abandoned in an emergency, some synthmorphs are left in hibernation/biomorphs on ice/etc
>emergency protocols activate after x time, awakening the PCs
>PCs need to figure out their situation and a way to get the hell off the hab while [threat] is combing it for anything of value
>manage to get enough of the hab running again to power up a farcaster and beam their infomorph forms off-station to "whatever's on the other end" (quantum farcasters are only a two-way street, right?)
>the other end is a Firewall receiving station or something like that; "you've been gone for x years", reinstated as operatives but from the very bottom since their previous cell's dead/gone/whatever
Easy way to have everyone together, run through some basics, allow the players to figure out the morphs they actually want, and slowly introduce them to the setting. Plus, if they're x years behind, they have some catching up to do; justifies the whole "inexperience with the setting" thing if their characters are fishes out of water, too. I'm just not sure if not giving them up-front choices on their morphs and/or gear is a shit thing to do.
>>
>>49644782
>>49644176
Also, the issue EP people has is rarely a lack of information. The problem is more often a deluge of information, a veritable flood of contradictory information which can alert mesh-spider systems over the most innocuous things. A simple mesh search for 'best nightlife in [area]' is going to need to tune out a dozen F-net blogs, a million ads, and probably alert at least a dozen mesh-spider adbots. The muse will automatically handle this shit for you, but failed rolls more often turn up useless or contradictory information instead of no information at all.
>>
>>49644478
But all of those systems are worse
>>
>>49645200
Than EP? You're kidding.
>>
>>49644808
Since you asked,

>Born to a family of Russian migrants in the Martian outback, Magistrate Rodion Lysenko is the brutally efficient foe of Smugglers, Stalkers and Guerrillas alike. He achieved acclaim during several widely publicized crackdowns on TITAN artifact trading in the Martian hinterlands. This quickly turned to notoriety after his implication in the massacre of a Yazidi settlement near the border of the Zone. Lysenko despises Mars’ City Militias and Consortium goons almost as much as he does the Barsoomian terrorists who infest the outback. Anymore his reputation for toughness and efficiency has given way to one of terror and violence, earning him the nickname 'the hanging Judge'. He dreams of a terraformed Mars, as wild and green as the legendary steppes of his lost Russia.

>“Junk a thousand Warbots and your name nobody remembers, but grease ONE exsurgent Kebab trying to run the Zone, and I can’t show my face in Elysium suddenly.”

He started life as an NPC I made up as a foil for one of my players (I like coming up with 'rivals' for all their characters as a way to make the world more interesting). I'm thinking of bringing him back as a player character for the Eclipse Phase Missions living world.
>>
File: cowboy_jimi.jpg (48KB, 423x600px) Image search: [Google]
cowboy_jimi.jpg
48KB, 423x600px
>>49645304

Nice. One think I love about the setting is trying to get into the heads of people from various factions and creating characters to explore those mindsets (whom I would hope to use one day for a game).

So far I've been fascinated by the idea of a Barsoomian with F rep and came up with the idea for something based off of this image of Jimi Hendrix

Basically a guy who was a soldier burnt out from war fighting back on earth 20 or so years before the fall so he just dropped everything he had, put all of his money into buying An Alpiner Morph and fucked off to the lone parts of the Martian Surface where he did odd jobs for the various farming community habs to buy supplies and lived out of caves and practiced music with the only thing he actually took with him was his guitar. He would wind up making a name for himself in the Barsoomian circles helping to defend people from the Martian TITAN attack and becoming a somewhat famous singer/songwriter which got him into the idea of recording his ramblings about life and his music.

So how does an guy like this get involved in Firewall? That's the part I havn't figured out yet.
>>
>>49644478
If you want something less complex than base EP, there's Transhumanity's Fate.

But I find EP's core system to be fine if you like crunchy games. It's just not as "realistic" as the fanbase might like.
>>
>>49645659
I don't know, but it should start with a bad petal trip.

>>49645767
The problem with EP's system is that it has tons of crunch in some places and not enough in other places, and the GM is left to pick up a metric fuckton of slack.
>>
>>49645213
>D6
Messy train wreck of a system with a lot of nostalgia support

>SW
Super simple resolution for people who don't really like playing, really good for people who just want to be on their phones.

>Gumshoe
Has one good idea which can easily be imported to any system with skills, and any other with little more difficulty. A GMing blog post worth of good ideas doesn't make a system good.

>Marvel Heroic
Good for emulating comic books, or making anything else play like comic books.

None of them seem better than the EP system.
>>
>>49645792
>The problem with EP's system is that it has tons of crunch in some places and not enough in other places, and the GM is left to pick up a metric fuckton of slack.
I disagree. The core mechanic is robust enough that you can basically put together a roll for any situation. That they didn't have rules accounting for drift in zero-G when you fire a kinetic weapon is a pittance of an issue.

Sure it has problems, the least of which is that I'm not too big a fan of the sanity mechanics and how fragile people feel like they are. But it works pretty good.
>>
>>49644808
>I've seen another image of this guy.
That's because basically every Eclipse Phase shitpost image was made by the same anon.
>>
File: tips akubra.png (659KB, 800x977px) Image search: [Google]
tips akubra.png
659KB, 800x977px
>>49645971
That's true, but this one >>49645304 and this one aren't mine. They were drawn years ago by a friend from my old RP group. (cont)
>>
File: Rogue Trader Weapons Master.png (918KB, 1248x1470px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue Trader Weapons Master.png
918KB, 1248x1470px
>>49646330
I can just about manage black and white illustrations like >>49622648, and flat colors if I'm drawing in MS Paint
>>
>>49646330
You made all of the Spurdos, the "Freedom ain't free"s, the read/expected/got's, and the Hide/Ignore/Do Not Reply's?
>>
>>49646584
Not all of them, just the ones here >>49622796
>>
>>49646684
Well, that's pretty much all of the ones that matter.
>>
>>49646726
Not quite.

>>49622787
>>
>>49645659
>So how does an guy like this get involved in Firewall?
>>
File: O'Neill Cylinder 1.jpg (6MB, 5732x4515px) Image search: [Google]
O'Neill Cylinder 1.jpg
6MB, 5732x4515px
>>
Are there any supplementary morph lists out there?
>>
>>49649065
Doesn't look like it
>>
So, why are people so afraid of synths? People tend to give TITANs as the reason, but really, meat people were just as easily subverted during the Fall. Cybersecurity risks are also not really a risk when you can run your cyberbrain unconnected to the mesh. Yet there are two significant political blocs where being synth means either being shot on sight or getting shipped off to the ghetto, and a third where it just means you're a poorfag indenture. Despite their objective superiority(carnal pleasures don't mean shit, there's 1:1 hyperrealistic sims just for that), synths are universally vilified. Why is that?

My answer is simple. Bioconservatism is actually a large-scale memetic psyop by the bio-agri-envirotech corps(Prosperity, Skinaesthesia, Skinthetic, Ecologene, TerraGenesis and their ilk), designed to prop up demand for biomorphs, foodstuffs, life support systems and other products whose sales are threatened by the existence of synths.

Every transhuman living in an infomorph or a synthmorph is effectively shrinking the potential market for the sole products of these companies. Every time someone goes postbiological, they are one lost customer closer to going under. Thus, they all have a vested interest in keeping the general attitude towards synthmorphs hostile and creating a spurious but believable association with being bio and having some sort of moral high ground, like the pic in >>49643903 .

>On behalf of TerraGenesis, we would like to thank the habitat parliament for choosing to purchase our biosphere support systems. With our know-how and your credits, the thin and delicate flame of biological life can be kept burning.
>>
>>49649065
You want more? Even after Morph Recognition guide?

What?
>>
How disruptive to the game would it be if I removed the limit on starting rep? Basically letting my players be celebrities if they wanted.

I know the answer boils down to "as much as I allow it to be", but I'm looking for some examples on what might go wrong and how to preemptively stop things from spiraling out of control without going for cheap ways out like dropping the PCs into an abandoned hab in the Kuiper Belt.
>>
>>49650975
It allows them top-tier favors right off the bat without burning rep.
>>
>>49650994
Do you think that would remain an issue if I up the ante accordingly, for example by having their opponents have similar assets?

Also it remains a possibility that rather than getting a single maxed score or two, they would allocate the points more broadly, with lower scores but covering all the rep networks.
>>
>>49651073
You still have to explain your rep in your backstory. Having rep in every network doesn't usually make sense, and you need a networking skill to make use of your rep. As has been said before, in percentile systems, you should have at least 50 in anything you want to do even reasonably well. So for every network, that's 50 CP - SAV spent. It gets expensive to generalize.
>>
>>49638497
>Frontline combat where? Hidden Concern Enforcers aren't going to use any of the same gear as the Solarian Defense Force for an extreme example.

Mars.
>>
File: DAW3_1015[1].jpg (144KB, 650x231px) Image search: [Google]
DAW3_1015[1].jpg
144KB, 650x231px
What are the costs for drugs, anyway?

I'm looking at the section on drugs, and there's nothing on costs or how "hits" you get per batch that you buy.

Or am I just being fucking blind?
>>
>>49653422
Each drug has a rarity listed. You pay a price within that category or spend that level of favor to get a hit of the drug. Most drugs are Low or Moderate, a few are High. Be ready to suck your dealer's dick a few times a month to earn those extra favors, anon. Or beat someone up for him because they posted about how his dick tastes like moldy cheese all over @-net and made him a shame meme.
>>
Are there any eclipse phase games recruiting?

Are any of them lewd?
>>
>>49653631
No one actually plays Eclipse Phase, anon. We all just endlessly shitpost and resurrect dead /int/ memes of yesteryear.
>>
>>49653494
Thanks, turn out I was just being retarded and blind. I was looking at the tables, and had earlier just assumed that the listing [Low] and [Moderate] at the end of descriptions were referring to chance of addiction.

But yeah, I'm going to have to, like, such so many dicks, because I have a massive addiction. Since we haven't started yet, I'm going to ask my GM if he's OK with switching my addiction from Neem to Comfurt.

An average cost of 2000 credits per day, 1000 creds if I'm OK with being catatonic for half the day, isn't just debilitating, it's potentially game-breaking.

With Comfurt, I'm down to as low as 500 creds per day, assuming I sleep 8 hours, and I like the idea of being addicted to fucking yogurt.
>>
Would a character who's birth/most comfortable morph having seven prehensile limbs (grip feet, prehensile tail, 2 arms (normal), two extra cyberarms) be more comfortable in a standard humanoid morph or something more octopus-like if they had to change morphs?
>>
>>49654155

Not to the extent that you're thinking. When your sleeving though you'd take minuses for going from uplift bodies to human shaped morphs and back unless you have some kind of quality that negates it otherwise it's minuses you get from failing the tests for resleeving.
>>
Is it too special snowflake to play a humanities AGI that, while sleeved into a meat bod for communications purposes, got infected with WML?
>>
File: LeftoverSpecial.png (475KB, 849x827px) Image search: [Google]
LeftoverSpecial.png
475KB, 849x827px
>>
>>49654419
...is that even possible? I just realized that WML carries over between meatsuits, even if the new meatsuit doesn't carry WML yet, it does after you've sleeved into it.

And when you leave the meatsuit, it's no longer carrying WML.

This suggests that WML is cognitive in some way, rather than physical, and AGI:s that sleeve into biomorphs might be immune.

I mean.. maybe?
>>
>>49654419
>>49655151
WML affects anything currently sleeved into a meat brain, via viral means (Maybe nanoplague, but that implies a digital form that doesn't gel with WML's behavior). It mutates and deforms the brain, which creates the async structures in the brain that enable psi and damage the psyche with disorders. Once that deformation happens, it's part of your ego and can't be removed without severe side effects, like any other major neural damage. You're infected, live with it or revert to backup, and you can no longer sleeve in cyber without morph fever, unless you buy the Trait for that.
TL;DR: Anything with a meat brain at time of contact can be infected with WML, including AGIs.
>>
>>49655151

Check the grammar, man.

while sleeved > got infected.

So was exposed to the strain while in a biomorph, which is the only way you can contract WML. And yes, the alterations to your brain stay even if you resleeve, they just don't do anything unless you have physical meat to work with (but you keep the fucked up mental patterns - i/e Mental Disorders)
>>
>>49654419

Being an AGI why would you sleeve into a meat suit?
>>
File: 1453771223217.jpg (637KB, 1009x1398px) Image search: [Google]
1453771223217.jpg
637KB, 1009x1398px
>>49654968
Reminds me of these things from the Future Bloodborne RPG /tg/ made around last Christmas.
>>
>>49655575
He needed a mouth to scream.
>>
>>49650975
I don't think it would matter much. The things that are broken about rep are broken at basically every level.
>>
>>49625850
i like the little peice of paper next to him that says he has cancer and 6 months to live...

cause ya know, the radiation..
>>
>>49655653

>Not just puppet socking some poor sap into screaming until their vocal cords don't work, waiting for the medichines to repair them and doing again
>>
>>49655575

Sex feels better in meat flesh
>>
>>49653810
You sleep 4 hours a day, 2 if you have Circadian Regulation, unless you're in a fucking Flat. Then you sleep 8 hours a day. Anyway, just get a drug gland for the price of 4-5 doses and have infinite doses as long as you're using that morph.
>>
>>49632207
It's on Mercury IIIRC. TITANs be batshit man.
>>
>>49651920
Seeker rifle anywhere but a super built up souk. In those probably kinetic weapons with proximity bullets, shredders, and buzzers.
>>
>>49647562
It amuses me greatly that reverse image searching this suggests "space station 13 security".
>>
>>49650994
>implying anyone has ever burned rep in an actual EP game
>>
>>49653494
You're doing it wrong. Why spend good credits for one hit of a drug, when you can spend an extra fifty credits for capsule ammo and magically get 100 doses?

Of course the downside is you need a pistol and you have to shoot yourself in the leg to get high, but I think that's more than worth the price of 100x the uses.
>>
Hi. Can someone explain to me why /epg/ died?
>>
>>49658279
Well you see anon, when a thread doesn't have posts for a certain length of time it falls off the front page and gets archived.
>>
>>49658313
No shit. But why wasn't their a new thread put up?
>>
>>49658377

>>49622787
>/epg/ is actually pretty regular, but not regular/popular enough someone is always around to bump/make threads.
>>
>>49658377

Because like, 99% of the people who actually use /epg/ are lazy and don't make new threads. There are like 2-3 anons who actually do it.
>>
>>49658377
I don't know anon. Why didn't you post a new /epg/ thread when the old one died?
>>
Is Olympus a domed city? The pictures of it in both the core and sunward don't make it seem so.
>>
>>49658560

Probably not, no. The space elevator rises up right in the center of it, and it's noted as having very high winds once you get up over the lip. It's probably got some low containment walls and then the good neighborhoods probably have mini domes or other individual environment systems.
>>
>>49658685
I'm wondering how that works infrastructure-wise. Does every apartment building have an airlock? are all streets outside? Or is everything just interconnected with the poor neighborhoods having leaky bulkheads.
>>
>>49644893
Any input on this? I think I'm gonna go with it as a plan.
>>
>>49658715

It probably depends on which area you're in. For logistical concerns and just ease of use, I imagine the central district and the main like, transport routes in and out are as singularly sealed over as possible to minimize delays in the Elevator schedule or other problems by minimizing airlocking, but presumably you don't just airlock right out of the elevator complex in the middle of town.

Once you get into like, the poor or half-abandoned areas it's probably like the souks on the outskirts of dome cities, where buildings or streets are crudely pressure tented or pre-fab tin cans with air seals.
>>
>>49658184
>implying anyone has ever played in an actual EP game
>>
>>49658377
For the same reason why the last one wasn't bumped: no one was on to post EP stuff.

>>49658685
It should be, seeing as the air is probably too thin for enhanced respiration to allow normal breathing.
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 918x523px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 918x523px
>>49658560
>>49658560
No, but I imagine it a dense enough that everything is connected internally. What with buildings built over streets. So parts of it might be psuedo-domed I guess.
>>
File: The Fall 8.png (229KB, 655x960px) Image search: [Google]
The Fall 8.png
229KB, 655x960px
>>
File: Socialite 5.jpg (195KB, 960x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Socialite 5.jpg
195KB, 960x1200px
>>
File: Pod Fashion Show.jpg (199KB, 1200x1139px) Image search: [Google]
Pod Fashion Show.jpg
199KB, 1200x1139px
>>
>>49662415
>>49661523
>>49660251
Even though no one will discuss the actual game with the opportunity presented to them, I appreciate you keeping the thread alive.
>>
>>49662882

Just got to keep it up long enough for something to stick. I think the last general had ~55 posters.
>>
>>49662907
We could start shitflinging about politics, philosophy, or really dubious science.

That usually gets anons engaged.
>>
>>49662918
Or prostitutes.
>>
>>49662907
I mean, I tried. I asked for campaign plan feedback and got ignored in favor of memeposting.

Such is /tg/.

>>49662918
Could work!
>>
>>49622497

I really don't like d100 systems but I love the game's setting a lot.
>>
>>49662942
Divide everything by 5 and use a D20
>>
File: SMGRivetGun.jpg (2MB, 4961x3508px) Image search: [Google]
SMGRivetGun.jpg
2MB, 4961x3508px
>>49662918

Well, it has been a long time since I've heard about the language of lions, or capitalism by truck or a couple of other topics from the wayback.

Posting pictures of bad guns by sci-fi artists also usually draw people out.
>>
>>49662958
Actually, does anyone have art of particle bolters?
>>
>>49662958
>the language of lions
I remember that argument. I have never been so confused in my life.
>>
>>49662968

Not directly, no. Could find some particle weapon art on the internet to post, though.
>>
>>49662976
What was it about?
>>
>>49649970
I like morphs
>>
>>49663044
From what I recall, it started at Wittgenstein's assertion about... the impossibility of a sapient being comprehending the world-experience of a non-sapient and vice versa. Probably; I don't think we ever did get a good explanation.
From there it devolved into a stupid argument about, essentially, whether carrying out an action required an imagination.
When I say stupid, I mean really stupid. I was the losing side in that argument, and looking back I think I was essentially arguing that all living things /must/ be sapient without realizing it. As I said, I was never so confused in my life.
>>
>>49643656
Eclipse Phase is cool 'n' all, but the writers are terrible at looking at things from different viewpoints.

Just look at the Jovian Republic. They're not even fascist, yet get labeled such in the same breath as lobbyism. It's insane.

Some of the writing is on the level of a 16yo politicized edgelord. Anarchism gud, fascism = oppression = badwrong. Hurr.
>>
>>49663656
Daily reminder of what happens when you offer an alternative viewpoint on those gosh darned plucky anarchists:

http://eclipsephase.com/cynics-autonomist-alliance
>>
>>49663656
Or how being the Ultimates being into eugenics is somehow bad in a setting whose tag line is "your body is a shell, change it."
>>
>>49649875
>So, why are people so afraid of synths? People tend to give TITANs as the reason, but really, meat people were just as easily subverted during the Fall.

Yeah, but most people are meant people themselves, so that's a moot point.
>>
>>49649065
>>49649970
>>49663068
What we need is more backgrounds and faction options. There's a ton of fucking morphs.

>>49655256
But anon, I did, and the thoughts still stands. Has there ever been a case of an AGI contracting WML?
>>
>>49663781
>Has there ever been a case of an AGI contracting WML?
Yes, it's called "The Fall".
>>
>>49663781
>>49654419
>>49655151
The Exsurgent Virus is specifically designed to infect thinking machines

Watts MacLeod is a strain of the Exsurgent Virus

AGIs are thinking machines

Therefore it's completely possible for an AGI to get Watts MacLeod
>>
File: 66691721[1].jpg (128KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
66691721[1].jpg
128KB, 500x500px
>>49658213
>Of course the downside is you need a pistol and you have to shoot yourself in the leg to get high, but I think that's more than worth the price of 100x the uses.

>mfw shooting myself in the foot with fucking comfurt yogurt
>>
>>49663802
That logic is flawed. We know for a fact that WML does not infect synthmorphs or AGI:s sleeved into such. The exsurgent virus isn't just a single thing that can jump between different vectors at will, and the WML strain is a biological one.

There's no guarantee that AGI:s sleeved in a meatsuit will continue to carry WML. Not all AGI:s are even based on human neurology. The WML may be unable to brainhack them, and thus you do not carry the virus onward.

If you leave your meatsuit and then some poor non-AGI sod comes and grabs it, though, they'll most definitely be infected and carry it onward. Reminds me to, as someone with an WML-infection, not to leave any biomorphs behind. Wouldn't want someone else to unknowingly catch this shit.
>>
>>49663887
>Reminds me to, as someone with an WML-infection, not to leave any biomorphs behind. Wouldn't want someone else to unknowingly catch this shit.

>not having +Async Propagation as a motivation
>these_girls_are_displaying_an_emotion_of_some_sort.xp
>>
>>49663887
Doesn't it stop being infectious after a day or so?
>>
>>49663887
>There's no guarantee that AGI:s sleeved in a meatsuit will continue to carry WML. Not all AGI:s are even based on human neurology.
No strain of the Exsurgent virus was designed exclusively for human neurology. It's an advanced, rapidly-mutating, self-aware virus.

That said, there is no non-biological strain of WML (yet). But anything biological, with a sapient mind, can contract it and thus gain psi.
>>
>>49663936
>No strain of the Exsurgent virus was designed exclusively for human neurology.
>But anything biological, with a sapient mind.

So far, you've made very hard claims of fact, but with absolutely nothing to back it up.

There is no evidence that (any and/or all) AGI:s can contract WML if they are sleeved into a biomorph, and would then continue to carry WML once they're back on the mesh or resleeving into another morph, bio or not.

Or at least you've failed to present any evidence or solid argument supporting such.

Does that mean it's impossible? No. But nobody's said that it is.
>>
>>49664008
It a human contracts WML and then sleeves into an infomorph do they still have it?
>>
>>49664020
>Asyncs require a biological brain to draw on their abilities (the brains of uplifted animals count).
>An async whose ego is downloaded into an infomorph or fully computerized brain (synthmorphs) has no access to their abilities as long they remain in that morph.
>>
>>49664035
But they still have them and can use them if they resleeve into a biomorph right?

Ipso facto, an AGI sleeved into a biomorph can be and remain an async.
>>
>>49664008
>There is no evidence that (any and/or all) AGI:s can contract WML if they are sleeved into a biomorph, and would then continue to carry WML once they're back on the mesh or resleeving into another morph, bio or not.
Besides the fact that EVERYTHING that contracts WML retains the disease after switching bodies?

>>49664020
>It a human contracts WML and then sleeves into an infomorph do they still have it?
Yes, but their psi abilities are effectively nonexistent until they sleeve into something with a biological brain.

Asyncs take penalties in pods, because they do not have completely biological brains.
>>
>>49664008
>So far, you've made very hard claims of fact, but with absolutely nothing to back it up.
Oh shit anon, you're right. I guess we'd better conduct a double-blind medical study right here in the real world.
>>
>>49664008
>There is no evidence that (any and/or all) AGI:s can contract WML if they are sleeved into a biomorph, and would then continue to carry WML once they're back on the mesh or resleeving into another morph, bio or not.

Although the rulebook strongly hints that this is the case - at least, the Infolife background doesn't grant you immunity to the WML while you're sleeved into a biological morph, and it flat out states that you can carry it but not use it while you're using an informorph or synthmorph.

There's a whole lot of room for monkeying about with exsurgent shit in an actual game for the GM, so I'd have no problems whatsoever with some GM running it so that the AGI cannot contract WML while in a biomorph. Player characters are unlikely to know shit about the finer points of how exsurgent infections work, and there's probably just as much bullshit and rumours about it as there are actual facts.
>>
File: 1470159462264.jpg (60KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1470159462264.jpg
60KB, 500x375px
>>49664008
>There is no evidence that (any and/or all) AGI:s can contract WML if they are sleeved into a biomorph
What, qualitatively, is the difference between an AGI sleeved in a biomorph, and a non-AGI sleeved in a biomorph?
>>
>>49664595
I'm hoping the answer is something like "software doesn't have a soul".
>>
Gentlemen, how do we kill all the Titans?
>>
>>49664700
> public class ego.Self {
> String name;
> int age;
> boolean has.Soul = true;
>>
File: poop poop.png (206KB, 600x1334px) Image search: [Google]
poop poop.png
206KB, 600x1334px
>>49665215
>>
File: Costanza_Phase.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Costanza_Phase.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
>>49665215
>>
>>49665289
>>49665515
Well, how about we find/make a Titan Shifter to help humanity?
If we're lucky, we may even find the one with the Coordinate power!
>>
File: Costanza_Phase_Big.jpg (54KB, 290x463px) Image search: [Google]
Costanza_Phase_Big.jpg
54KB, 290x463px
>>49665522
>>
Is there anywhere that talks more in depth about the lost generation? All I know about them is from a few snippets in the Mind Hack section. But I still don't know where the project was staged, that many details about the simulations they grew up in or their education and how it messed them up.
>>
>>49665647
The simulations they grew up in were basically "real life wacky hijinks" watched over by disciplinarians acting several multiples of time slower than the sim was. So a Lost would commit a crime and only get found out and disciplined some hours later. That's a textbook way to teach kids sneakiness and foment rebellion, and probably why so many Lost exhibited psychopathic traits, along with a long-running subconcious knowledge that the sim wasn't real. Add in the emotion maskers, and holy shit.
>>
>>49649875
You think that those corps memed so hard that pretty much the entire solar system, including the anarchists, feel a non-existent difference between being in a synth and being in a flesh body?
>>
>>49663781
The devs specifically edited the rules so that the Infolife background no longer has the rule that taking it makes you unable to take Psi.
>>
>>49666164
Given the following:
>"feeling" one way or another is a matter of brain state that can be easily influenced by both the brain's own conscious/unconscious actions and external factors with zero space tech involved
>the existence of numerous businesses and organizations that concern themselves solely with influencing these thoughts and feelings, i.e. psyops
>EP is a setting where direct editing of these brain states like computer programs is an established fact
>80% of the setting's population has had their brain directly fucked with
Yes that's exactly what I'm thinking.

Anyone who sleeves into a synth for the first time, even if they don't have edited memories, would suffer from extreme confirmation bias merely by the fact of having been exposed to the pervasive biocon propaganda. Just as planned.
>>
Do/Would Biocons dislike the Factors?
>>
Best morph?
>>
>>49667372
Depends on the biocon, but the public consensus even among feel-good anarchists is "I really don't trust those slimy turds, though they might be useful", so more cautious and conservative groups will naturally be even less fond of them.
>>
>>49664008

>There is no evidence that (any and/or all) AGI:s can contract WML

Sure there is. Basic logic.

AGI can sleeve into biomorph. Only biomorph can be infected by WML. AGI can obtain Psi trait (as noted by >>49666311 this was specifically erattaed later). Only way you can obtain Psi trait without becoming an NPC is WML.

Therefore, an AGI in a Biomorph could contract WML.
>>
>>49663703
>Getting banned for ban evasion is censorship!!!!

Nobody disagrees that the devs are a bunch of impossibly naive anarkiddies but at least let the mods do their 'jobs'.
>>
File: factor_a_cute.jpg (53KB, 700x367px) Image search: [Google]
factor_a_cute.jpg
53KB, 700x367px
>>49667372
How could anyone dislike something this cute?
>>
>>49627265
This game is SJW shit though.
>>
File: FactorColony.png (1MB, 1192x755px) Image search: [Google]
FactorColony.png
1MB, 1192x755px
>>49668442
>>
>>49665215
Step 1: Make more TITANs
Step 2: Pray they kill each other.
Step 3: Miraculously still be alive in the aftermath.

Basically repeat the Fall until you get a cycle with no surviving TITANs or, more likely, no surviving non-TITANs.

Fucking with TITANs is pretty much the dumbest thing you can do in Eclipse Phase.
>>
>>49628644
>Functionally retarded.
Seems fine to me. There is a rule saying all characters have to be trannie spergs fighting evil cis white males, isn't there?
>>
>>49663703
>copypaste the Soviet Union and dump it on Titan even though it makes no fucking sense
>boo hoo the SJWs hate muh alternative viewpoint
>>
File: clearly_no_aposematism_here.jpg (91KB, 649x460px) Image search: [Google]
clearly_no_aposematism_here.jpg
91KB, 649x460px
>>49668458
Oh, don't worry, they're surely just trying to...help her up? Into that cozy looking contraption that is clearly not a transmogrification pod?
>>
A humanities infolife member of the scum who is a sexually free, morphologically free biohacker./morph designer/drug dealer, is infected with WML-gamma, and has a ';problem' with constantly forking herself, to the point where she carries around one alpha fork in a multiple personality mod, three betas in ghostriders, and no less than twenty deltas at any one time and is constantly merging/reforking all of them (being sure to only alpha fork into biological sources).

that guy or not?
>>
>>49637454
Pics or it didn't happen.
I mean it's Japan, but still...
>>
>>49668634
Yes. You have at least three or four character concepts jammed into one schizophrenic mess. Pare down for simplicity and pick between the async, doctor-feelgood aspects. Leave the massively multiplayer forking on the cutting room floor, it will drive you nuts in-game and everyone else at the table will see it as incredibly masturbatory.
>>
>>49668719
>>49668634

Yeah, the forking thing (especially as described) sounds like a huge pain in the ass which will go nowhere for you or the group. If you want to take Established Fork and a Ghost-Rider (and Multi-Tasking because that involves forking stuff and is fairly seemless), that's fine, but actually making a fork-hive of yourself while bio like that will just bog you down. And nobody should actually take the multiple personalities implant, it's silly.

I think the triangle of genehacking/drugs/async also probably doesn't mesh well, I think you'd end up stretching the skills out a lot, between say, a couple of medicines and some technical skills, then appropriate social skills, and then presumably a couple of Psi skills - just to get Charisma or Thought Browse or whatever you think you want to be an Async.

Free love AGI Scum is fine depending on how well your group is okay with you being hedonism bot.
>>
>>49668719
>>49668841

Alright; what about an extropian hypercorp heiress picked up by firewall after an incident left her with chi-scale WML, and they decided her skillset (business, combat, salvaging/tech, since the hypercorp she's heiress to focuses on heavy industry and salvage) were suitably enough to be a firewall agent? Heavy emphasis on being a hard worker and knowing how her business works since her parents didn't want a useless heir; self-defense and combat to fight off assassins and 'cause it's fun, big into supporting the AA even if she gets into fights with anarchists a lot? That guy as well?
>>
>>49668972
Why do you want to be an async, anon? It's almost never worth it.
>>
>>49668990

I like asyncs and thought they'd be fun to play, even if they're not an optimal choice; I haven't ever managed to actually play one before, but they seem fun; and it's an easy hook to get you into firewall, since they'd rather have asyncs working for them so they can keep a closer eye on them in case the async goes x-threat.
>>
>>49668972
Better character if you don't have psi IMO. It's like you WANT to get shot in the street by horrified crowds for bumping into someone.

Really, psi should be a cheap negative trait (5 CP back), it's not worth the mental disorders, CP cost, and exsurgent resistance penalties if the GM actually remembers them, but it is cool, and can boost a character extensively in a few places.
>>
>>49668990
>>49669053

Well, my third character I'm working on is non-psy. They're an earth girl who survived the fall with the help of a Scum Barge evacuating as many people as they could, went on to join the barge's militia and joining in on their hedonism-based anarchic society; wanted to get a new body made for their sister, who did not survive the fall (but she has their cortical stack still). Has died a few times as a result of heroic action defending the barge, but due to her status as a local hero (due to said heroic actions) manages to keep in on bodies.
>>
>>49669053
>It's like you WANT to get shot in the street by horrified crowds for bumping into someone.

Don't listen to Anon's memes!
>>
Be honest, anons, how many of you have run games where Firewall not only wasn't the focus, but was an enemy or a shadowy rumor? What group did the PCs belong to instead? Where was the game set?
>>
>>49669277
Oh? What do you mean by that, non-memeing anon?
>>
>>49669743

Somewhere between 90-99% of people don't know Asyncs or Psi are a real thing. Even for the handful of sleights where the target is aware something bad is happening, they would still have no idea what is actually going on (might suspect contact drugs or something) so random mob justice on asyncs is a meme.

A jokey exaggeration perpetuated by people who think Psi is sub-optimal.
>>
>>49669983

Ah. I mean, I know it's sub-optimal; I just think it's neat and fun, and has a ton of built-in plot hooks.
>>
>>49668613
Actually I've always thought that's the entrance into the chamber and they're dragging her into that ellipsoid space with the other factors. You can't really tell the front and back of these things, can you?

Thoug I've gotta say this is one of my favorite pieces of EP art, because of the interior design and how that planet makes the window look like a huge eye. Extra creepy.
>>
>>49666572
Then why do AGIs have trouble with flesh bodies?

>>49667466
Have we actually gotten anything useful out of them?

>>49668431
Pretty sure that there was nothing but a "feeling" that it was the same person, though.
>>
>>49670450
>because of the interior design and how that planet makes the window look like a huge eye. Extra creepy.
What if it is a huge eye, and Factors work for Space Cthulhu, who may or may not also be the ETI?
>>
Hey /epg/. I'm back with Chapter 2! I'm also going see if I can enable comments so you can let me know how much my grammar sucks. I was originally going to make this part longer, but I got impatient and decided to release it as two separate chapters.

Here's the links:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OJ5KgxAZe0AdTrkqe-VudvDZlqJHvUlXZxWIAm_NmMA/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18f4K_s2CIohn0YyGyp6Vm1LJCHMet2rN4TJcdHaZYws/edit?usp=sharing
>>
File: mega_trees_by_haltenny-d387w90.jpg (257KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mega_trees_by_haltenny-d387w90.jpg
257KB, 1280x720px
>>49669436
I ran a game where the party was gatecrashers, and at some point they got infected by a alien memetic weapon (separate from Exsurgency, basically a super-advanced terraforming tech base). It was a nanotechnological seed which turned gas giants into cthonian planets filled with alien supertech and creating it's own ecosystem replicating the civilization. Basically a civilization scale escape pod you can fit on the head of a pin. They had been on a planet where this process was growing closer to completion (they never found the ruins of the system's natives on one of the moons). The planet was a hot high pressure pile of mud and oceans, with the Pandora Gate sitting on the center of a perfect metal cube 1.2 km to a side, the only large piece of metal around.

At this time the terraformers took the form of megastructure "trees", each similar to a Solar Updraft tower, but grown on the scale of small mountains. Massive lakes in their branches, and smaller continents worth of flat mass. Think oppressively big trees with vantablack leaves the size of stadiums, hollow trunks and their own life.

The party nanotechnologist was infected by one of the guardians of the trees, and as the trees became more active they ended up retreating through the gate. The Apple of Knowledge the party nanotechnologist had (who was also an async, which didn't help) compelled them to make another "seed" for the trees and toss it into Saturn.

The plan was the Firewall had a sentinel team on the planet (disguised as another team of gatecrashers, as there were 6 teams deployed) had caught wind of this weirdness and had convinced Pandora-side agents to try to pick up any 'crashers coming through. Have the players run from the shadowy conspiracy while figuring out what what they had found and how it had effected them.

Then one of my players moved out of state and the group fell apart.
>>
Finally got into an EP game online (literally no players in my area, unless I'm driving to Amherst) and the complete lack of scheduling is killing the game. Sucks, as the GM (and most of the other players) are pretty damn knowledgeable. Just fell/falling apart because of largely administrative shit.
>>
Is there a super big crunch for this? Seems like my kind of game!
>>
>>49670563
AGI trouble with a flesh body is less because of it being flesh and more from being physical at all, plus the near-total limitation of inputs.
>>
>>49670913
So like anti autism? If they aren't being deluged in data and sensory input at all times they feel uncomfortable and get stressed? ...AGI are weird.
>>
>>49670563
AGI's aren't used to having stuff like an endocrine system or all of the I/O from a body. It's kind of like how humans in an octomorph have a lot of trouble getting used to semi-independent arms.

>>49671025
Kinda-regular autism in some ways. Basically AGI aren't used to all the stuff a body has going on, it's a parge part of why "Overwhelmed By Emotion" is a common AGI negative trait.

>>49670803
It's more crunchy than some things, but a fair amount simpler than Shadowrun.
>>
>>49671058
>>49671025
>>49670913

An AGI is a wholly informatic lifeform. They are made in digital states and usually raised that way. While some might have VR conditioning and almost every AGI template has "legacy peripherals" so their Ego will properly hook up to all the subconscious/autonomous parts of a meatbrain they still have zero experience with being effectively analog. While a Synthmorph or Pod might feel more limiting, the cyberbrain architecture is still pretty similar to the software most of them run on, though obviously they experience morph caps and cannot relocate their "physical" so easily. But on a biomorph you're basically taking the reverse of a meat-person becoming an infomorph.

Your body is analog, it's fleshy, there's almost no conscious control of all kinds of functions and feedback you get, you've got genuine hormones running through your body rather than a conditioned software response which is like "hey, this is a bad situation". You have to deal with heartbeat, breathing, blinking all kinds of automatic responses you've never needed before, from physical to mental to social. Native humans, we don't know any different and while control with implants is cool, we're just adjusted to every day ups and downs of squishy meat parts. You have to specifically cultivate an AGI to be prepared for that.
>>
File: ep_synth1.jpg (106KB, 440x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ep_synth1.jpg
106KB, 440x1000px
>>49669436
Three sessions worth of civilian prologue. Scavengers from Fresh Kills found an old escape shuttle drifting in orbit, with some still functional lifepods in it. Those lifepods contained the players (and some more pregenerated civvies), kinda introduced them into the setting slowly. They still have no clue about Firewall, though they have met their first Fractal. Trying to keep the exsurgent threat down for now, though. Players decided they wanted to be salvagers, which left me to create all sessions from scrap...turned into quite a hassle.
>>
>>49670450
Looked to me like they are dragging her in or out of the pod while the others rummage around some kind of control device. Not that our alien overlords would ever do something sinister, I mean, look at them...How could this be evil?
>>
>>49671486
Well, for one, wouldn't the black and yellow coloration imply it's poisonous?
>>
So what's your fancy homebrewed habitat, /epg/?
>>
>>49672233
Wild west O'Neil cylinder with robo horses and lever action rail guns.
>>
>>49672317
Beautiful.

Any Indians?
>>
File: Screencap.png (672KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screencap.png
672KB, 1280x720px
>>49672371
I would imagine mercurials fit the bill well with all the tension between them and us, plus a few oddball Tonto sidekick.

Is there a drawfag here that can do a sketch of a neo-octopus wearing a feathered head dress.
>>
>>49669743
Memeing-anon is referring to a stupid argument where it was insisted that any planetary concortium civilian detecting the slightest trace of psychic manipulation would rapidly garnet the full and focused might of all available consortium surveillance and intelligence resources. The particular example was that because it requires physical contact, editing a memory on a crowded commuter train would result in feat by OZMA swat team before you could disembark.
>>
File: Native Octopus.jpg (157KB, 570x704px) Image search: [Google]
Native Octopus.jpg
157KB, 570x704px
>>49672371
>>49672482 (me)
Never mind. Apparently someone out there already did it.
>>
File: Screencap.jpg (62KB, 650x492px) Image search: [Google]
Screencap.jpg
62KB, 650x492px
>>49672551
Found some more inspiration for this setting.
>>
File: Screencap.jpg (307KB, 1105x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Screencap.jpg
307KB, 1105x1600px
>>49672584
I'm just going to keep spamming this shit cause it's cool.
>>
File: Screencap.jpg (30KB, 389x284px) Image search: [Google]
Screencap.jpg
30KB, 389x284px
>>49672646
I'm bored now.
>>
So I'm guessing that uplifts were first a thing just to test psychosurgery. But after the first few you'd think we'd be done "testing". So why are there enough of them to be considered a recognized minority? Do people just make them for shits? Because usually the point of having a pet is to have something to feel superior to.
>>
>>49671211
If VR conditioning is "hyperrealistic", then it shouldn't be a problem. The thing is that you would need to be post-singularity to make it actually indiscernible from reality. The realism of VR is exaggerated the same way the realism of onaholes is.

>>49672317
>lever action railguns
The black powder smoke is the best part of the Wild West, faggot.
>>
>>49672810
i think it was more a bunch of hippie nature loving fags are like "we can do this now, we should uplift some" and then it sorta became its own movement.
>>
>>49672921
>hippies
No. If anything, they're most likely bioconservatives who don't like corperations tampering with nature.
>>
How well does Firewall work for an Archer-esque campaign?
>>
File: 51djHTCwcpL._SX940_.jpg (51KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
51djHTCwcpL._SX940_.jpg
51KB, 500x375px
>>49673058
Shit, forgot the pic
>>
>>49673058
>>49673090
If Archer worked for Firewall, he'd have one mission of hijinks followed by psychosurgical editing to encourage compliance and impulse control.
>>
>>49673058
Router:
>Firewall isn't your personal travel agency! It doesn't exist just so you can rocket off to... Whore Cole Bubble!

Sentinel:
>That's not... a real place.
>>
>>49673155
>Now get out there and fix your fuckup or I'll pop your stack with my bare hands!

>Phrasing
>>
>>49673185
Player 1: I fire and fully auto mode.
>Rolls a critical failure
GM: A bullet ricochets off several walls before hitting the team's hacker.
Player 2: GOD DAMN IT ARCHER!
>>
"Not you giant novacrab. Can I offer you a drink?... And this expensive pleasure pod?"
>>
>>49668450
no
>>
>>49673132
That's hyperbole and you know it. Firewall has its share of people that makes Archer look like James Bond.
>>
>>49668450
no
>>
File: retire.png (213KB, 842x772px) Image search: [Google]
retire.png
213KB, 842x772px
>>49673332
Whatever you say anon.
>>
>>49673058
Archer would be in an Olympian or exalt with a muse named woodhouse.

Lana would be a fury wielding twin SMGs

Cyril would probably be in a Menton. Probably some kind of hacker.

Krieger would be a hyperbrite gene hacker/psychosurgen/hardware expert with neo-octopus fetishes and a waifu as a muse.

Cheryl would be part of the lost generation

Pam would be a Neo-pig skilled in close combat with an addiction to nano cocaine

And I'm too tired to think of one for Ray.
>>
>>49673383
That doesn't change the fact that there are very Archer-esque characters within Firewall. I get that /epg/ likes to meme about how secretly viciously evil Firewall is but that doesn't change the fact that the org has some very loose cannons in them.

Also having Firewall PCs as being in the org only because they've been psychosurgically edited to obey, or because they're under blackmail, is simply not doable in a coherent game.
>>
>>49673501
Flamboyant Autonomist in a Vacpod or Synth?
>>
>>49673525
galatea
>>
>>49673516
>the org has some very loose cannons in them.
"SQUEAKS! HEY MAN. TALK TO THESE CHICKS ALRIGHT? TELL THEM HOW WE'RE REALLY FIREWALL AGENTS. THEY DON'T BELIEVE ME! HELLOOO SENIOR FIIIN MAN"
>>
>>49673501
Malory is an ex XP Star and their router, and treats the cell like its an small espionage hypercorp.
>>
>>49673516
>""""""""secretly"""""""" evil
>>
File: OZMA_policy.webm (1MB, 462x250px) Image search: [Google]
OZMA_policy.webm
1MB, 462x250px
>>49674375
At least we know who the good guys are.
>>
>>49668480
Glad someone else gets it

If you want an idea of what problems the Commonwealth and its essentially unlimited Direct Democracy would cause, just look at California: every election people vote unanimously for the government to provide expensive bullshit and then they refuse to pay for it, and as a result the legislature is constantly racing to keep up with the voter's retarded, constantly changing whims.

>Also having Firewall PCs as being in the org only because they've been psychosurgically edited to obey, or because they're under blackmail, is simply not doable in a coherent game.

Yes it is.
>>
>>49674893
>>49673516
>>
>>49674375
>>49673516

Just how evil is Firewall, anyway?
>>
>>49674924
It depends on which book you read. The actual Firewall splat mentions that they aren't above kidnapping and psychosurgically editing potential agents. There's also a sidebar about an agent who tortures children because her superiors won't let her stop.
>>
>>49674924
They literally believe that capitalism is an x-threat. One day, they'll act on it.
>>
>>49674892
>>49674967
Fuck, I really want to play an OZMA game now.
>>
>>49674959
>>49674967
Well, that's a little more comically-evil than I was expecting, for a variable of comical (I'm sure it's more serious in context). I'm planning on playing up the shady aspects of Firewall when I do run my game; our usual GM is very much "black and white morality" even in 40k, it'd at least make for a *decent* contrast.

Then again, the PCs may not even become Firewall agents if they totally fuck up the first session, so I'm a little preoccupied with contingency plans.
>>
>>49674986
Let's put it on.
>>
>>49675058
Do you even know the party composition? What's the location?
>>
>>49675116

>>49644893
Still in early planning and only working on the first session right now. It got ignored when I asked.
>>
>>49674967

>They

You mean that one Sentinel who blogposted their essay about the evils of capitalism on the Eye?

Firewall is not a centralized, united front. "They" don't believe anything except there cannot be another Fall.
>>
>>49675158
If you don't know where, how is your group supposed to make characters for it?
>>
>>49675166
>implying that the majority of Firewall personnel aren't pinkos
>>
>>49675168
Because I've only proposed "hey, let's look at this system" and gotten "cool, if you get a plan let me know and we'll try it out" from everyone? I'm still trying to pin down basic details here, and the last few threads I've posted in for advice I've been completely ignored. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of Eclipse Phase, I have half-remembered reading through every book a year or so ago and what I've re-read in the last few days with an 80-hour workweek going on. Besides "outer system" I haven't pinned down a starting location yet, and since players aren't anywhere near making characters yet (I highly doubt they've even read past the first chapter of the core book), I don't *need* it immediately. What I do need is to figure out a plot first, and to figure out if I'm going to totally be screwing my players if they can't have Fancy Custom Morph out the gate as an option. If the latter isn't okay, the former goes back to the drawing board.
>>
File: Jovian Destroyer.jpg (132KB, 800x999px) Image search: [Google]
Jovian Destroyer.jpg
132KB, 800x999px
>>
>>49675214
>outer system
The only good starting points for mixed parties in the outer system are Extropian habs.
>>
>>49676001
Good to know. Should I go with a home-written abandoned hab for the cryo-start, giving them a place to learn the system and evaluate what they've got, and have one of the Extropian habs be their landing-zone at the end of session 1 then?

I'd be happy to carry this on to next thread.
>>
>>49669436
One I might be using in the near future:
>PCs, strangers to each other, wake up in morphs they've never been in
>last thing each remembers is doing a routine backup
>turns out they're all forks stolen by Questgiver NPC for whatever purpose, and are promised freedom for carrying out their task
Bam, instant adventure. For extra fun, you could have the NPC feed them some bullshit about the circumstances that led to their resleeving, implant fake memories, or psychosurgerize to make them more suitable for the plot.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.