[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every year I throw a Halloween LARP/party where theres sort of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 716nUK0rXuL._SL1124_.jpg (330KB, 1118x970px) Image search: [Google]
716nUK0rXuL._SL1124_.jpg
330KB, 1118x970px
Every year I throw a Halloween LARP/party where theres sort of an ongoing story and game.

This year we got access to a lake house in the Poconos and Im running a 1960s crime game.

The story is we're all part of a crew that just barely got away with a high stakes heist. Our lookout got killed and the police are looking for us so we're lying low in this house in the middle of nowhere. Crooks being crooks everyone has an angle. I'm trying to play up the paranoia element.

Im still working out game mechanics and flow of the evening and I was wondering if any of you had any advice. Here's what I've got so far.

I've given each person a "secret" and a "task"

For example. Someone is an undercover Fed. And I've tasked them with collecting evidence. So they'll be recording conversations. Finger prints on the stolen goods. (which will represented by costume jewelry and poker chips).

I always encourage gambling and other bets throughout the night during these parties. Our group loves a good game of poker both in and out of character.

Someone else has a gambling addiction and will be slipping out into the kitchen and use the landline to make call to his bookie throughout the night (a defunct google voice account I have set aside) and will push to place bets throughout the night whenever he can. This one is mostly innocuous but its shifty enough that it will make the other players uncomfortable.

I'm struggling with a conflict mechanic. I still want this to be a party as much as it is a LARP. I was thinking of maybe setting things up so everything comes to a crescendo with a nerf gun shootout in the middle of the night. All of the guests will be staying the night because its a hell of a drive and they'll probably be hammered.

Any suggestions?
>>
Amendment: I just don't want someone to get busted and killed at 10pm. Thats no fun.
>>
A nerf shootout sounds baller, but if there's only one fed on a "team" by himself, wouldn't physical conflict resolution be kinda one-sided? Maybe everyone will be too drunk to be salty by then, but that poor dude is just gonna get bodied by a sea of foam darts
>>
>>49621833
Have a violin case with a nerf rifle in it in clear view.

As tensions go up there is nothing stopping anyone from taking the gun to shoot a supsected fed.

It'll make things more nervous.

Though what you can do is have 4 friends who arent going to the party dress in police gear and "Search the Area" Forcing them all to scramble to hide evidence away and hid in the secret room in the basement while boots stomp over head and tear the place into easily cleaned up shreds.
>>
>>49621833
I post this a lot, but look up some pre-made Murder Mystery Dinner packs.
>>
>>49621930

Good point. As the GM I'll make it an option but I'll do my best to make it so its in no ones best interest. Rail roading toward a particular resolution is a bad idea.

But I want there to instill a conflict and a sense of urgency on the players.

>>49621945
That is not a bad idea.

Actually as I'm typing this --
I should tell them all murder is allowed.
If you get killed you're dead and out of the game.

Obviously you're still there and can chill and party.
But you can no longer interfere with game mechanics.

Maybe that could work
>>
>>49621930
If it gets out that he's the fed, and the only fed, and he can't drop the hot potato into someone's lap, he's a shitty player and should be (nerf) shot.
>>
>>49623240
>if you die in the game
>you die in real life
>>
>>49621930
don't forget that there is a chance that someone want's all the loot for himself.

OP, put candies and various snacks in the loot too, so players will really have a motivation to want them all to themselves.
>>
File: 1388576917483.jpg (43KB, 467x488px) Image search: [Google]
1388576917483.jpg
43KB, 467x488px
also if you trust your players that they won't share their character backstories to the others you can go full silly on them by making EVERYONE an undercover agent like in pic related
>>
>>49623612

The candy thing. I like the way you think.

And yeah. I've assigned one person the task of getting all the loot for themselves.

Its up to them how they do it.
>>
>>49623666

Well the Fed is FBI.
Maybe I could make someone else part of another law enforcement agency.

That could be funny.
>>
>>49623692
Have a DEA hellbent on stopping consumption of illegal green candy.
>>
>>49623692
if there is at least three different agencies that don't know about each other you can make one of them corrupt too who wants to get some of the stash and blame the others for it.

Also what you need is internal conflict that will make the things roll. That doesn't mean serious conflict though, just things that people will argue over or objectives that clash, but not life-and-death stuff.
There could be argument about how to use the stash, maybe hints that the lookout wasn't killed just injured and nobody went back to him, maybe hints that he was indeed killed but one of your own (although that's a very serious stuff but if the characters have questionable morals then it can fly)

etc
>>
>>49623735

Shit maybe -- .The 60s and 70s were An era of renegade cops and vigilante men in fiction.

Fuck now I'm hype for this.
I'm still sorting this out with my players so maybe I can assign that to one of them.

its up to them if they want to collect evidence or try to take everyone out.
>>
>>49623787

"maybe hints that the lookout wasn't killed just injured and nobody went back to him, maybe hints that he was indeed killed but one of your own (although that's a very serious stuff but if the characters have questionable morals then it can fly"

Thats what I was planning on doing.
Havn't decided why the lookout died yet.

I've got a few wees to figure it out though.
>>
>>49621833
That sounds great!
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.