[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good reasons for a human society to go down the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Frogg.jpg (58KB, 875x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Frogg.jpg
58KB, 875x1000px
What are some good reasons for a human society to go down the path of total anonymity, guys? My current reasoning is that a very destructive plague or similar struck a colony generations ago which cysts in the ground and can break out again and infect through skin contact, so people wear their environmental suits almost everywhere. Despite the plague being very rare (possibly even being extinct by the time of the campaign) the suits entered into culture and tradition and became a fashion statement in their own right.

Possibly a bioengineered plague introduced by terrorists or alien aggressors. Or hell, as retaliation.

I realize there's some pitfalls with such a society, but I think it would also be very interesting to see the dehumanizing effect it might have.
>>
>>49618969
Mankind go full cyborg but a conception default cause the need of full anonymity because knowing the name of someone is knowing the password of his body.
>>
>>49618969
Every retarded post you ever made gets screencapped and posted on your facebook wall. The "best of" even sometimes makes it to the local tv.
90% of the population wears masks or else they face being laughed at on the streets.
>>
So Warframe?
>>
>>49619534
Orokangz hate humans
>>
>>49620673

Those dicks.
>>
>>49620691
That's why the 10o killed them
Devs hinted they're coming back. One Orokang did say that they "are beyond death" even though "we have tasted it"
>>
File: Yudkowsky.png (1B, 486x500px)
Yudkowsky.png
1B, 486x500px
>>49618969

For basic game-theory reasons, having an identity is very valuable. It allows you to have a reputation, and a reputation allows you to make deals without having to expend all your resources on collateral and security.

However, you could take that idea to an extreme, in combination with your protective-suit thing. Everyone has a secret ident code, there's a well-trusted distributed database of deals made and whether they were broken or honored, and no one shares their identity unless they're trying to negotiate a deal.
>>
>>49618969
But that's not the same thing as going totally anonymous.

Being forced to wear environment suits doesn't imply that individuality would suffer. If we're talking modern earth, it'd be seconds before there was a YouTube video about customising your suit with a few easy things found around the home.
>>
File: give us the halfling she-elf.jpg (13KB, 320x188px) Image search: [Google]
give us the halfling she-elf.jpg
13KB, 320x188px
>>49618969
Islam.
>>
>>49620764
Hoping this doesn't devolve into /pol/ territory, but honestly the idea of keeping totally anonymous in public would almost certainly be the result of a profound shift in social values. Or if individuality was somehow perceived as a threat. Probably both.
>>
>>49620899

I wish I had a vorlon pic handy. Babylon 5 already had a race like this

>>49620747

This.

One reason we might have anonymity is pervasive surveillance. Governments monitoring you looking for reasons to prosecute, and companies monitoring you looking for ways to make sales pitches to you.

Already America keeps a database of license plate sighting, automatically grabbed via camera, OCR'd, and then inserted into a database. Ditto for your phone records. So you could imagine a politician deciding to go after his political enemies by data-mining them for probable cause that gives him an excuse to launch an investigation (that's happened recently too). Then add drones and massively distributed camera networks, and you're only safe in designated private areas.

So then the courts all rule that there's nothing you can do about it because it's all public information, right? everyone wears anonymizing garments to avoid giving any ammunition to the big institutions on their backs.

You'd have to do a setting like this as political allegory. (Which ironically in another thread I was just railing against).

Personally, I'd rather have somethign like skinsuit podfall that we were discussing a few months ago. It was an offshoot of Power ARmor CYOA. Not truly anonymous, but everyone who got podded ended up trapped in a skintight environment suit. So you lost your old identity but your suit did look unique and was autocustomized to your personality.
>>
>>49620747
Of course it isn't. OP is just some pathetic fetishist who has to make a thread about full body suits every few weeks.
>>
>>49621219
>Personally, I'd rather have somethign like skinsuit podfall that we were discussing a few months ago

Oh shit I remember that. It was kinda like a modern day Warframe, or Dark project.
>>
>>49621219
Vorlons work as your typical aloof GM race of ancients. But the idea of playing a party of them...?

Or did you just mean visually?

The problem with AnonGarb is you can still be followed home. Homes will still be in a persons name. Or will property need to cease to exist too?

>>49621275
If you say so.
>>
>>49621394

I mean visually. just the idea of the encounter suits. But hell even those were personalized to some extent.
>>
>>49621275

Fetishist, but not pathetic. It's not my thing but I'm writing a setting where it will be there in part because when I've talked about the setting that's the part that gets people interested and excited. I'm not above a little fan service.

>>49621330

Yeah I found it on 4plebs:

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47280503/#47282974

The thread got derailed by shitposting about the vidya, but there was some solid progress there and seemed like there was a lot of interest.

Maybe I need to fire up another thread on it with my progress since then.
>>
>>49622256
Yeah, I only remember two Vorlons and they looked totally different.

They weren't hiding individuality though, they were just trying to interact with "lesser" beings...that and good as it was, Budget probably couldn't stretch to beings made of energy without it looking gash.
>>
>>49622362
>The thread got derailed by shitposting about the vidya
It was about the potatoes, wasn't it
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.