[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A setting I am working on needs dinosaur themed bronze or iron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

File: Dinosaur Barbarians.jpg (321KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaur Barbarians.jpg
321KB, 1280x853px
A setting I am working on needs dinosaur themed bronze or iron age nations. Lots of 'em. Anyone got any ideas?
>>
Iron Age USSR with Dinosaur riders
>>
File: 1452643191581.jpg (278KB, 1287x922px) Image search: [Google]
1452643191581.jpg
278KB, 1287x922px
>>49587367
I actually almost did the same thing.

Gorgonopsid riding Scythians.
>>
File: cameroceras.jpg (13KB, 564x476px) Image search: [Google]
cameroceras.jpg
13KB, 564x476px
These guys:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples

With these guys as living battering rams:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameroceras
>>
File: Styracosaurus_by_fafnirx-d8x57x4.png (435KB, 1024x589px) Image search: [Google]
Styracosaurus_by_fafnirx-d8x57x4.png
435KB, 1024x589px
>>49587367

Warrior peoples who live in hillforts in a temperate area. The Styracosaurus is their chosen mount, and their warrior gods are giant Styracosauri who live in the great celestial void and eat stars.

When they ride to war, the warriors and their mounts are painted with stripes of blue woad and ritual henna tattoos. The warriors wear bronze rings around their arms, the dinosaurs have them around their horns.

Tribes usually settle disputes with organized 'cavalry' battles of equal numbers, typically not more than a dozen. Raids against other cultures, or when internal disputes go completely sour, involve hundreds of warriors and dinosaurs.
>>
Look up Dinotopia Artwork
>>
>>49587387
My first thought was steppe people, but replacing their love/respect/reliance on horses with dinosaurs
>>
Nomadic tribes with large dinosaur howdas, outriders on gallimimus.

A large town in a forest with a timber industry that uses triceratops like logging horse teams

Feudal state where knights joust atop carnosaurs and t-rex.
>>
Dwarves with heavily armoured trikes as mobile artillery, large armour shield fitted to the frill, and a small platform for a ballista team on the back.

Wood elf hunter teams with bonded dinononychus hunting partner/animal companion
>>
Roman type kingdom, only the aristocratic class own dinos, the larger and more ornamented, the wealthier.

Small, plain carriage on a trike=minor land owner

Stego with a large howda with silks and painted back plates and gold end caps on tail spikes=succesful merchant

Bronto with small living quarters atop, armor plates, gold inlay, painted hide, small army of maintenence slaves=govenor and owner of a legion(s)
>>
>>49587367
Consider that dino riding has been done to death and is almost a cliche, as domesticating large theropods would be virtually impossible and many of them would be hunted to extinction on the sole basis that they'd be eating a lot of livestock.

How about a civilization that primarily feeds on a certain dinosaur and it thus becomes sacred within their culture, almost like the Native Americans with buffalo? Think of where your civilization is located. If it's on the plains, you can expect lots of larger species like sauropods or hadrosaurids or heavily armored species like Triceratops or Stegosaurus. If they live in the forests, they may hunt smaller, more nimble species almost like one would hunt a deer.

Consider competition with theropods. Do any dinosaurs specifically hunt men? Maybe dinos like T. rex are killed as they are known to be dangerous and can drive off herds? Or perhaps packs of small velociraptors or other dromaeosaurids start to hang out around human camps to get scraps and start to get domesticated the same way wolves did, becoming almost like hunting dogs to herd potential prey.

As you move into the neolithic, consider further domestication in the form of livestock; maybe when they start to settle down and farm, they domesticate certain herd animals that taste good. This will lead to more conflicts and skirmishes with larger predators.

If you don't care so much about realism, riding giant dinosaurs is certainly badass, but it's cool in the same way that a guy riding a polar bear is; there's no logical reason early humans would try to domesticate dangerous predators, but it is fun for the imagination. Maybe the nomads riding gallimimus would be more plausible, as this guy suggests >>49588199
>>
File: dinasawrs.png (196KB, 1919x1041px) Image search: [Google]
dinasawrs.png
196KB, 1919x1041px
>>49587367
This thread reminds me of that old Dinosaur scenario on Civilization II. Good times.
>>
File: Dinotopia Episode 3D.jpg (174KB, 849x593px) Image search: [Google]
Dinotopia Episode 3D.jpg
174KB, 849x593px
>>
File: dinosaurlordslg-809x538.jpg (86KB, 809x538px) Image search: [Google]
dinosaurlordslg-809x538.jpg
86KB, 809x538px
Art is from the novel, the Dinosaur Lords, by Victor Milan. Wasnt that good of a book in my opinion.
>>
>>49588417
I could see a more evolved civilization (bronze or iron at the earliest) use Triceratops (and other Ceratopsids) and other armored dinosaurs similar to war elephants/living siege weapon.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.