[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 41

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk (embed)

>Question of the Now:
Sci-fi or fantasy or something else?

>Last thread
>>49491183
>>
Anyone know of the most popular wierd war 2 game? Konflikt 47 just started and all the others seem fucking dead.
>>
>>49577698
K47, Secrets of the Third Reich and Dust, not sure if there were more. AFAIK Incursion was more like a boardgame.
>>
>>49577698
Most people only play Weird War occasionally. Usually WW2 guys who fancy a bit of a breather.
>>
File: VAN-216.jpg (29KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
VAN-216.jpg
29KB, 720x540px
>>49577401
>Sci-fi or fantasy or something else?
Right now, VSF. Painting my kroot and brits, considering buying some aeronefs because the new american BC is sexy and I want some of the south american fleets and really want to have a look at the new Imperial Skies rules.
>>
File: Aeronef.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Aeronef.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49578495
Speaking of Aeronef, have some PDFs.

Now nobody need make my mistake of ordering them directly and finding out they come on physical discs.
>>
>>49579027
>>
>>49579027
Thanks.

I actually bought Aeronef on Wargame Vault bloody ages ago. The rules aren't quite my cup of tea, but I like the toys. There are some neat variations in style among the fleets!
>>
>>49579084
Are the WGV pdfs watermarked? Please say yes so I can finally feel like my decision to get them straight from Brigade wasn't a TOTAL waste of time.
>>
File: baner 2.0.png (836KB, 932x400px) Image search: [Google]
baner 2.0.png
836KB, 932x400px
For anyone interested Warzone 2.0 rules and army lists are out. Illian stuff looks really cool. Here's a link.

http://warzone.prodosgames.com/sites/warzone.prodosgames.com/files/files/Warzone_2_0.pdf
>>
File: jontron_intensifies.gif (227KB, 400x410px) Image search: [Google]
jontron_intensifies.gif
227KB, 400x410px
>>49579351
This and the fact that Siege of the Citadel will give me a fuckhueg Dark Legion army makes my nipples hard.
>>
>>49579375

Interestingly you can't mix and match the different Dark Legion armies much. Personally I like that as it prevents bloat in the army, helps balance and makes armies more distinct but it was not the direction that I thought they'd go.
>>
>>49579411
>Interestingly you can't mix and match the different Dark Legion armies much.
Well, I guess Prodos won't kick down my door if I do.
>>
>>49579112
Yes they are.
>>
Any Pulp Alley people here? I'd love to discuss it with people who aren't 50+ and suffer from early onset Alzheimers (aka Lead Adventure).
>>
Bought my first solo game system. Is it normal to feel depressed about that, because it feels like giving up one finding people to play with?
>>
>>49580809
Not that I know of sadly...pulp gaming is not my jazz, even tho I love the period. Those Tommy-guns with forward grips and drum mags, plus actual fucking BARs for policemen is awesome. Hell, I might pick up a box of RedBox Gangsters and Policemen at one point...

>>49580882
Well, the other side of the coin is now at least you'll be able to play. Noone will hurry you, you can play as long as you want, your opponent won't cheat, sologaming is comfy as fuck. As soon as I'll build my table, I think I'm gonna play solo games too with games not designed for that, basically playing the role of both players. If noone wants to play Warzone with me, I'll play it myself goddamnit.
>>
>>49580882
Eh, solo wargaming has a fairly long history.

Solo RPGs are the REALLY depressing thing.
>>
>>49580954
But part of why I'm spending time and money on models and terrain is because it's one of the few ways I know to trick people into spending time with me.
>>
>>49581043
And isn't it awesome that you have your own terrain you can play on all by yourself without anyone fucking up your work?
>>
>>49581090
Not really. What's the point of creating something if I have nobody to show it to?
>>
>>49581131
Furiously masturbate over it.

Tho I meant it more like that you'll have awesome stuff for yourself and occasionally others who you invite to play with you, so don't feel down because of playing solo. Also, make battle reports, post them in your gaming group's forum/Facebook group/mailing list and they'll come and play with you.
>>
>>49581131
Is the joy of creating/using it not enough?
>>
>>49581131
Thats why people take pics of their stuff and post them online.
>>
Related to OP, just finished painting my kalyshi. My only other dreadball player moved though, so I have no one to play with now, and can't find the season five rulebook for kalyshi rules anyway.
>>
>>49580809
Pulp Alley owns and I really need to buy it in hardcopy. I have the basic card deck and some of the extra cards, kinda interested in buying the solo deck and the new thing when it's out.

>>49580882
Basically every wargame published by GMT Games, one of the largest board wargaming companies, has a solitaire suitability rating prominently displayed on the back of the box right next to the game complexity rating.

Solo is fun, especially when you make it more social, but even without that it's still good.
>>
>>49579351
>455 pages with no table of contents or index

Fucking hell Prodos, even UWZ was better than this.
>>
>>49581176
Nope.
>>
>>49582048

That's so weird. Maybe they left it out accidentally from the pdf? I'm pretty sure the main 1.0 rulebook had those...
>>
>Originally a hardcore /v/irgin
>Vidya for the past 5 years or so has slowly been less and less able to 'scratch the itch.'
>Play a couple of games of DnD
>Love hanging out with friends and playing with them
>Have a recent paradigm shift from vidya to tabletop
>Want to finally get into Wargames, specifically WFB or KoW
>Play a couple of games of Frostgrave, Mordheim, and finally play my 40k 5th edition starter box for the first time (literally a box of "Look at how cool Space Marines are!")
>Ask friends if they'd be willing to buy their own armies to play
>"lolno, but if you buy some, we'll play with them"
>Most local FLGS is an hour away, and not even sure what their most played wargame is

How do you guys deal with this? I don't have that thick of a wallet to just buy my friend's armies for them. Starting to think I'm stuck with just sticking to RPGs for tabletop, but I was really hoping to get into wargames.
>>
>>49584149
>I don't have that thick of a wallet to just buy my friend's armies for them.

Small scale minis, plastic historicals, 1/72 stuff etc. is all pretty cheap these days anon.

imo paying GW/PP prices for stuff is a fool's game.
>>
Whats does /awg/ think about Dragon Rampant? Is it any good and/or fast to play?
>>
>>49584310
If it's anything like Lion Rampant (/hwg/ memes notwithstanding) then it's probably a nicely serviceable large skirmish game, although it won't blow your socks off.

With perhaps some potentially frustrating activation mechanics.
>>
>>49584149
15mm 40k, do it

each army will probably set you back 30 bucks if that
>>
>>49577401
Only came to this thread for the delicious blueberry
>>
>>49584713
>15mm 40k
Honestly, I didn't enjoy 40k that much, but that's probably because my Orkz are literally no match for terminators (2+ armor saves and I have no AP2 weapons? Fucking seriously?)

Are there any decent 15mm miniature makers that look pretty close to Warhammer armies?

>>49584213
>Plastic historicals
Which would work great if my friends only wanted to play Brets or Empire, but sucks when they want to field anything actually fantasy related.

>small scale minis
I'm aware of Warmaster and their minis, but those run for pretty hefty prices on ebay recently.
>>
>>49584332

My group is torn between 10mm fantasy mass battles or something a little bit smaller in 15mm. Dragon Rampant seems to fill that slot
>>
>>49585220
> (2+ armor saves and I have no AP2 weapons? Fucking seriously?)
I haven't played in a while, but aren't power klaws ap2?
>>
>>49585220
> I'm aware of Warmaster and their minis

There are a crap ton of other manufacturers who make minis just as good for much less than old Warmaster stuff.

Check out Pendraken and Magister Militum as a start.
>>
>>49585264
>aren't power klaws ap2?

I don't see anything about AP2 on Power Klaws, but I do see that 'Power Weapons' cancel armor saves. I wonder if they fall into the same category? If so, that maybe makes my Orkz have a chance.....
>>
>>49585342
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Orks(7E)

Seems to indicate that power klaws are still ap2
>>
>>49580955

Nothing wrong with some solo rpgs or wargames.

Some of us work late, or have schedules that conflict a lot with friends.
>>
>>49582048
The blog post said this was this is the release candidate version, final layout and proofreading is happening then it's off to the printers. Who knows, maybe they'll throw up a properly bookmarked edition later. I know a printer friendly version is coming at the end of October, though.
>>
>>49579472
I know I'd certainly like to see what peoples coalition Dark Legion armies will look like, please throw up some pictures for us when you get to building it all.
>>
>>49584149
Assuming that you are trying to play WFB or KoW with your buds (Rather than playing more affordable skirmish games or games with smaller scale figures), then you of course want dirt cheap figures. Look at Mantic, MoM, Reaper for dirt cheap 28mm fantasy figures. Chinese knock offs of WHFB models work as well (Google yoyhammer).
>>
File: 20160123_114047.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160123_114047.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Page 10 bump.
>>
Watching magnificent 7 has me in the mood for cowboy games. Debating finding my old copy of legends of the old west or just using in her majesty's name. I'll run it past the usual game group I suppose.
>>
do u think using dust bases for any "alternative" units in your ww2 stuff is classy and then leaving the buy the history ones on normal ones.. or just converting every thing a little and using dust bases. even thou dust failed I feel its sorta historically fitting to use thous bases for every thing "weird ww2" just to pay tribute to what that agme started (I think I would paint the bolts a bright color thou so signify army and then paint the actual unit super realistic drab so it would amost blend into the enemy. I really want to make a metal gear theamed army for K47 and dust tacticis which seems to be the best rulesets for this but I'm sure theres many more I intend this army to be my zombie army as well like zombie fighters. just waiting for a range of troops I like and then I'm going touse the legs form my admech walkers and maybe put historic turrets on my IG tanks and buy afue halftracks and stuff still not sure if german US or Russian I'm thinking US based on how cool the 6 legged walkers are for the US in dust. and ive seen some amerian soilder sculpts I like. but I want a real Metal Gear look so I might make some of the double agents or include some stolen Russian or german mechs converted to run for the USA. I guess I could use my my mobile frame zero chubs in it and possibly the larger Tau walker that's pretty metal gear just build some guns for it that are more Historic or butcher up a dust kit and make it into attachments. I was thinking of using Kreig as my WW2 units as theirs a cheap way to cut up the kreig kits from a gorgon model so you can get kreig for about 0.70$ as a model which is nice but I think I'm gong ot make them into zombies instead. I'm wanting a really "army man" look to my alt history stuff but I think ill paint them army man green but then highlight any of the future tech in a bright red or blue to sorta play fun with it or keep the stock guy flat color like a toy but all the future tech painted realisitically.
>>
>>49585220
>Which would work great if my friends only wanted to play Brets or Empire, but sucks when they want to field anything actually fantasy related.
Check the Cheap Fantasy Minis blog, they make it with specifically 1:72 in mind. Also, there are a couple manufacturers who make 1:72 fantasy minis, like Caesar (orcs, goblins, undead, elves, dwarves), Alliance (basically LotR in 1:72, plus some amazons and random undead), and I'm pretty sure some metal manufacturers are around too. A box of 40 infantry or 12 cavalry is around 8-10GBP at worst, so you can make pretty big armies relatively cheaply.

You can make pretty awesome Kislev and Norse armies too.

And for 40k...why not Epic?

>>49586337
It will be next year at best, but I'll do it.

>>49589507
Meh, there were WWW games before Dust.
>>
I am interested thou in gates of Antares as well as I feel its d10 system might be the most advanced wargame system out atm math wise and design wise kinda hoping K47 eventually takes the developments of that ruleset as it seems the most advanced and interesting. I'm sorta happy having a "alt history" army beside my GW armys but I'm not sure I'm ready for a fully scifi army like gates of Antares has thou the isorians faction seems interesting and the halflife vibe of that is interesting I guess it would be cool to have a sorta halflife vs marines collection. as far as GW stuff goes I'm trying ot build two armys essensially one is 40k and one is AOS but they can fight each other due to bending of rules or have some cross over units. atm its a pre heresy imperial army with titian auxilia and skaven mutants on one side and then a fimir army on the AOS side that can be used as genestealer stuff. I also have a third stormcast idea of sorta building a kitbashed army that a mix of mx3 armor with stormcast to build a sorta army of custodies and spacemarines and sisters of battle all sorta combined into one but I'm loosing my boner for stormcast the more I think of them and I think ill just have afue test models for them in this sorta "horror house suit of magical armor" idea I have for them or medieval style cartoon style and if I cant achive it illprob try and pass that kit on to some one and keep the best bits for future SM converting like the wings and maybe some other choice bits from the starter box for use in building every rules worth model from the 40k range which I semi plan to do so for example use the stormcast wings on bloodangels to giv e a newer sculpt etc I'm having trouble thinking how ill theam spacemarines into and think I might just do a generic SM army in mw4 for brother first. but keep the unique heroes and stuff for myself for powergaming in the future. am thinking of doing a MK3 marines army or maybe MK8 (slowly)
>>
>>49589570
Would you be so kind to use some new lines, as like this it's hardly readable.

If you're interested in GoA, I'd say grab the two player starter, it won't set you back too much compared to 40k, and especially not compared to 30k.
>>
I'm not sure how I could make a marine army that could be usable in other games and then I think of WWW and think maybe I could make a marine army that could be used in that if I made them carry more clearly human style weapons like mini guns and maybe even some more Orky style guns so they could be counts as a bit more easy. bolters are 40k sure but perhaps the mk3 version of bolters is going to look a bit more gun or grenade launcher than the others or a simple drum can help with that. I do plan on sorta making my marines like unreal torniment style maybe with looser joints maybe true scale not sure just looser look to poses and no helmets beside traditional knight looking ones form Mk3 and with no helmet berrts from the scions set. so they have that real Unreal Torniment look I guess that look could lend it self to use in K47 or Dusk as heavy walkers. just have to make some alternative sholders perhaps that are less beafy and gun swaps with Guard or general historic rifles. maybe leave the sholders but idknow they are pretty iconic I think with out sholders SM can be used as counts as a lot easier. but I plan to make the sholders arms and guns on both sides connected as one bit sorta like how AOS kits do it and have it snap fit with lego or magnatised so you can pull that hole section of saving the legs chest and head stuck to base I hope I can achive this at 32mm and it might be a lot of work but having a legion that cant be used in other games is just a waste of space and you could easily make historic arms and sholders and gun set ups to be swaped onto this. or even better you could use imperial guard scion weapon load outs that where from more historic ranges like kreig and vet rangers so not only then would you get carapace units for IG you would get your historic beafy guys too. I feel its the 25mm models that define a system not the 32 or above they get easier to pin and magnatise and use as generics because the larger a sculpt is the more generic it is.
>>
>>49589608
>>49589570
>>49589507

First of all learn to spell.
Secondly learn to punctuate.
Thirdly learn to hit enter once in a while so you don't form an unreadable wall of text.

Also generally when you make an army for one game unless it is a generic setting it's only really usable for that game. There's many games Age of Sigmar stuff could be used for since that is a generic fantasy setting pretty much.

However for 40k space marines are very iconic so there wont be much else you can use them for other than 40k-based skirmish games like Kill Teams or 40k-clones.

Finally, use whatever bases you want but personally Id suggest having consistent bases over your whole army.
>>
I think too many of these alternative war games are focusing on larger kits or impressive stuff like dusts flyers where its more cartoony and cool units that really stood out but then the troops where kinda ignored when they could have been the most interesting sculpts and interesting ideas. really vechiles are quite generic you can use them from system to system a flyers a flyer and tanks and tank a transports a transport a boats a boat and a walker on 2 legs is that and a spider is a spider. but the hard stuff is the traditional old sculpted troops that's what makes people rush to games and GW is loosing some ground because frankly what can be done at 25mm in plastic is hitting a detail wall and they are being forced to scale some things up. but these smaller compnanys using traditional techinques or (ultra new ones like 3d fabricationg and then duplication in resin) can actually produce models more technologically advanced than GW so these guys really have a chance to release some thing that could take over the industry but they are all focusing away from the mass troops and going for odd things that just don't make sense. they should be redesigning the core troops over and over again new sculpts new designs near learning of how to make a sculpt work at that scale wild west etc they should be reding their core troops over and over again sorta of like PP does but yer that how you grow and surivive and improve and a luxury GW had in the metal days to teach its designers that a lot of these new groups are missing out on. repeat repeat repeat with 3dSculpted resin and metal and hand sculpted resin and metal there is no excuse not too especialy with the 3d the sculpting effort is negligible and they should be holding onto their modelers and making them try new poses and new things over and over again to learn the tech and not just release a finished "product" its a great way to tell if a game system is going to stick around is if they are too holy on keeping things
>>
like right now Alt-WW2 works because there are 3-4 games right abunch fo rules sets and most important alot of model options for the same roles in your army so it feel s like a iterated on game when really no one has stood out as the designer to iterate on it but one will probably the one with the most popular system and I'm no clue what that is right now but some thing will show up. but that almost simulates what gw had in the 80s and 90s new sculps one fater the other of the same thing they where not sacred with design but these days we see start up companys that are as sacred with their metal or resin acting like its plastic and treating it like it will never get tweaked and that's just sad they should last one mould life cycle and then update the sculpt be it hand done or 3d fabricated and do that ove rand over again that's how you grow as a company and produce the ecitmente needed to invest in moulds or in gw case casting factorys which they actually do own in Nottingham. producing a alt wargame and claming your happy with your resin is so tryhard bigtime wild west and stuff is doing this and it just means they end up with old stuff or they focus on huge resin kits which are impressive now but just become DND monsters in the future beause they didn't iterate on their 25mm core and expand the universe thru that. MK3 for warmachine was ultimate a letdown for me because they didn't produce a real swam army but hopefully the new hordes army the scarcrow and rat army will be a true troops spam army and hopefully they do finally release a ruleset for the game for 100 points of more that introduces true wargames scale play and takes away from the tactics or skirmish level of that game.. like ultimately if a game can be easily simulated on a computer its a boardgame or skirmish game and not a wargame and that's what serperates so may things and so many of these alt games are true wargames
>>
but alot of the games people tout as being compedators to 40k are literally just diferent kinds of games like xwing can be played on tabletop simulator on steam or vassel on windows pc very easily theres a armada version mod for TTS and a xwing vassle mod that's so good its taken over compedative torniment play as the preferred way of playing. same with warmachine tactics that simulates warmachine so well you can understand the entire game in it. sure it handles troops a bit differently but that's a technological engine limitiation not a design choice that game is designed tob e 1:1 and the fact that's possible means PP need a more advanced but simplified ruleset for its tabletop brother. people say age of sigmar is simple but simulating that on pC would be close to impossible due to the complexity of special rules per character or scenery peace or mission. skirmish games are fine but aos isn't a skirmish game its just a reorganized wargame its designed in its simpliscity for mass scale I even sorta feel AOS is the new apocalypse game form GW then kill team and warbands are the skirmish games that they don't publicise too much beacus ethey encourage smaller sales per customer. the idea of making a diferent kind of game completely and saying that rivals 40k is silly the true games that rivial 40k are 30k and Gates of antaries and maybe this K47 and maybe dust 1947 thou I feel dust is really deisgned for the tactics scale Xwing and armada and startrek are wargames but the torniment scene is playing them at boardgame scale swhich suchs I plan on building a wargame scale army for generic use across all 6 varients of that ruleset but hopefully using WW1 and possibly epic or hopefully adeptus titanicus includes flyers. they did say they wanted to do a air game in 40k in the scale between battleships and the filiers in 40k so that would be interesting possibly including thunderhawks as the smallest thing. but I'm thinking of building a generic army for that scale
>>
>>49589721
>>49589680
>>49589639
>>49589608
>>49589570
>>49589507
Stooooooooooop, please.
>>
>>49589721
>>49589680
>>49589639
>>49589608
>>49589570
>>49589507
lay off the amphetamine, lad
>>
but I'm unsure of mini providers for that scale of fliying games. theres afue huge super bombers from ww1 wings of war or wings of glory at my FLGS that I want to pick up on sale and put starwars or some other flying theam stickers on. not sure what iconic flying game theams I could paint htem as thou. maybe blazing angels I guess. maybe some steam punk thing like that. I guess I got to watch anime and some stuff and work out a theam.or maybe WW1 and WW2 stuff with starwars decals on them is cool enough. ill prob just get all cards printed as I hear that's this biggest money wall in that game.

does any one have experience with alternative card games? I guess I'm apart of that Gwent beta from witcher game. I didn't mind heartstone but id played the wow TCG so it threw me mentally that it wasn't the same but I'm interested in trying Gwent because I think that studio is pretty massive and I'm sure they might include another traditional game in the cyberpunk game they are brining out as another cool mini game .

but yer what are the alternative mini prodviders for xwing and wings of glory wings of war scale flying games. beside EPIC. would larger dystopian wars stuff work? if you filed off the details or some thing. like larger bombers and zepins?
>>
>>49589680
>>49589639
>>49589721

You are literally retarded
>>
>>49589751
STOP TYPING PLEEASE
>>
>>49589752
why?
>>
>>49589763
Because this is not your blog.
>>
>>49584149
Buy both sides for a game, encourage other people to buy both sides for a game they prefer, just run games for people.

>>49584310
It's good and fairly fast. The Men Who Would Be Kings just landed at my door yesterday, and changes the Rampant mechanics up a bit, looks fun too.
>>
>>49589763
Because this shit reads like a garbled mess of a robot.txt that went through google translate four times.
>>
File: xtreme-promo-image-19.jpg (229KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
xtreme-promo-image-19.jpg
229KB, 1000x1000px
>>49584719
>Only came to this thread for the delicious blueberry

Well here's hoping they might turn up in Star Saga.

There's talk of an expansion set that has the players trying to stop an Asterian extremist group from staring an all out war with mankind.
>>
I know, this isn't 'quite' the thread to post this but, I was wondering anyone got a good lead on post-apoc miniatures. I need some for an upcoming game of Degenesis.
>>
>>49591428
Brother Vinni has some "not-Fallout" minis if you like that style.
>>
>>49591605
Thanks, any others?
>>
>>49591428
>>49591647

Lead Adventure have some STALKER-style stuff.

For more colorful and wacky minis see Ramshackle and ThunderChild.

This is Not a Test also have a smallish range to go with their rules.
>>
>>49591647
Hasslefree, Warlord's Project Z range, Diehard miniatures, Studio miniatures, Moonraker, etc. etc.
>>
File: IMAG0583.jpg (757KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0583.jpg
757KB, 1344x760px
Poland Flame Tanks complete. Poland can into scorched earth!

>>49591428
Pig Iron Productions is back from the dead and have some nice post-apoc/scavenger stuff. Whether or not they fit Degenesis' style is up for debate.
>>
>>49591709
> Those itty bitty trackmarks

Nice attention to detail, Polanon.
>>
>>49591709
Some of them might, that's the problem with Degenesis its got so much style and flavor its a bit of a pain. I'm gonna have to scratch build a little Im sure.
>>
>>49591709
>Pig Iron Productions is back from the dead
No shit? When did this happen? Last I checked they were closing up shop.
>>
File: Oldmen1l.jpg (381KB, 1155x479px) Image search: [Google]
Oldmen1l.jpg
381KB, 1155x479px
>>49591709
>Pig Iron Productions is back from the dead
I didn't know they died but I am kinda happy to see they're not.

I still don't know why they never released the massively improved multipart heavy infantry to replace the old single piece ones though when they did a whole bunch of other stuff after they previewed them.
>>
>>49592327
Are those bases custom made? If so, how did they do it?

I'm planning on buying 15mm and 6mm miniatures for a skirmish game and a massive battles game, and I'd love to make my own bases.

I don't know what material to use
>>
>>49592397
>Are those bases custom made? If so, how did they do it?

Looks like 2p pieces to me, about the right width and thickness.
>>
>>49592397
For 15mm I use 1p coins to base individual infantrymen. Washers are also a common alternative because you can buy them in bluk for almost nothing.

Plus, washers and (some) coins are magnetic which is handy for storage.
>>
File: PigIronNewsletter.png (48KB, 1443x507px) Image search: [Google]
PigIronNewsletter.png
48KB, 1443x507px
>>49592308
>>49592327
Apparently so. Pic related showed up in my inbox a couple of months ago. Was the first I'd heard of them since the closure announcement.

Their website is still there, they've added a couple more models, some bulk packs and a few bits of generic modelling gear (paints and the like).
>>
>>49592448
> The PIP guy is chair of York Wargames

Oh snap, I live in York and have been meaning to check out that club.
>>
>>49592448
Actually, re-reading the email now- I'm actually within cycling distance of some of the events they're going to. Sweet.
>>
File: IMAG0582.jpg (643KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0582.jpg
643KB, 1344x760px
>>49592470
Fuck, every time I look, more relevant details jump out. I've been looking for a wargaming club in the area.
>>
>>49592522
Wait, are you near York Polanon?
>>
File: IMAG0275.jpg (678KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0275.jpg
678KB, 1344x760px
>>49592548
Yeah anon. Wanna play some Dystopian Wars?
>>
>>49592595
I was leaning more towards Aeronef for my VSF fix but I'd give it a go.

The problem right now is finding the time, sadly.
>>
File: IMAG0491.jpg (695KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0491.jpg
695KB, 1344x760px
>>49592611
Opposite problem here, anon. I'll have to check out York wargaming, though.
>>
>>49592640
There's also York Garrison Wargaming, but they're a bit far away from my part of town so I haven't looked into them much.
>>
File: oldmen3r.jpg (88KB, 1126x579px) Image search: [Google]
oldmen3r.jpg
88KB, 1126x579px
>>49592397
>>49592427

They're 25mm steel washers.
It was from before I learned about using 2p coins.
>>
>>49592669
Thanks dude, I'll take a look.
>>
>>49590822
I spoke to Ronnie about 18 months ago, and he was talking about how much he'd love to do a Space Crusade style Dungeon Saga in space. He said he wanted the core classes to be from each major race, and specifically mentioned that the Asterian character would have to be a Kalyshi.

This might change now that Star Saga looks low death with unique characters, but a Kalyshi character is still pretty much a given.

Plus they're doing a conversion guide for all their Warpath stuff and they do Kalyshi warrior models for Warpath.
>>
>>49590822
>Kalyshi are blue
>Asterian commanders are always painted up in normal flesh tones

So are they a warrior cult or a separate sub-species?
>>
>>49592522
Things are coming up Poland! Good luck finally getting that game, mate.
>>
>>49591709
You poor fucker, how does it feel to be left for dead by the company when they chase the pie in the sky with Halo?
>>
>>49593127
Pretty bad, anon. My only solace is that it's already happening to Halo Fleet Battles. I can at least enjoy the schadenfreude of the Spartan cycle.
>>
>>49593209
Christ, it hasn't even been a year yet. Why can't they ever just stick to a project?
>>
>>49593127
For you, it's the death of a beloved game.

For Spartan, it's Tuesday. And the rules are still mediocre.

Buy Spartan miniatures you like, but don't rely on them being around forever, and ideally have a good set of rules to use them with, and two opposing forces so other people don't have to buy in.
>>
>>49593517
I'm fully prepared to convert my Armada ships to full thrust when the time comes. I'm just so pissed off at them, because they had the potential.
>>
>>49593650
They remind me a little of Mongoose Publishing, actually. In that they're endlessly disappoint, but so often come up with something that makes you give them the cautious benefit of the doubt just this one last time.
>>
>>49593677
That's..incredibly apt. I was in love with SST too...am a victim-gamer?
>>
Can /awg/ recommend me a skirmish game to get a friend into the hobby? He's interested, but unwilling to pour huge amounts of cash into GW's pockets, and I can't say I blame him.
>>
>>49593893
Song of Blades and Heroes is super easy for beginners to pick up.
>>
>>49592670
>>49592427

I'm in Bongo Land, so no 2p or 1p pieces here, but I sure can get a lot of washers.

Thanks

Also, do you know how people make custom bases for 6mm/10mm regiment-based armies?
>>
>>49593893
Savage Worlds Showdown.
>>
>>49593893
I'd say LOTR:SBG. Yeah, it's GW, but it's the best set of rules GW has ever produced.

Also you got a lot of variations if you don't like LOTR. Legends of the Old West/High Seas/Ancient Times/Medieval Times/Rising Sun, whatever

Open Combat is pretty good too, and you can use any minis you have.

Song of Blades and Heroes is good too, but I don't like that many special rules in the game.
>>
>>49593925
Mostly just buy them. Any old idiot with a laser cutter can and apparently does churn out small wooden rectangles by the fistful.

That or go really oldschool and just cut them out yourself out of whatever suitable material is available with appropriate tools like scissors or hacksaws.
>>
>>49592448
Can confirm that they were at Derby today, picked up some heads for using in converting some models into COBRA Vipers for a GI:Joe project.
>>
>>49592470
>>49592522

Hull here lads. Local scene is booming, ironically since I dropped out of being a regular gamer at GW every weekend.
>>
What are good wargames for a person who doesn't have a lot to spend on the hobby and doesn't care about painting?
>>
>>49594585
Print-and-play Hex and Chits
>>
>>49594609
Any you would recommend?
>>
>>49594633
Dunno really, not much of a hex man myself.

Try asking /hwg/, there's a ton in the archive.
>>
File: lizzie.jpg (52KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
lizzie.jpg
52KB, 1000x668px
why do people hate kriegspiel style wargaming? Every time I suggest the concept people bomb it

it seems much more flexible
>>
>>49594633
moscow attacked! is fun and printable

http://lcoat.tripod.com/moscatt.htm
>>
>>49594585
What
>>49594633
This anon says, but failing that 1/72 and 6mm scale miniatures are fairly cheap to get in quantity, particularly if you go for historicals.
>>
>>49592830
>Plus they're doing a conversion guide for all their Warpath stuff and they do Kalyshi warrior models for Warpath.
Very glad to hear. It is what got me interested in Dungeon Saga in the first place, the character creation so you can use whatever figures you want.
>>
>>49594633
Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is really fun.
>>
>>49594662
I have never encountered hate for it, only the major problem that it's a lot of effort to gather the required amount of people for a suitable amount of time to actually play it.
>>
>>49594821
I only wish they did their kalyshi in basically anything but metal...and I kinda wish I went with an Asterian faction booster in Deadzone instead of the characters which I'll probably never ever paint and use.
>>
>>49594662
What do you mean by kriegspiel style wargame?
>>
1 Page Wargames are pretty fun

https://onepagerules.wordpress.com/
>>
>>49596785
an umpire between the two players deals with fog of war and responds to their initiatives as a GM would. The Umpire also creates unexpected events to try and keep players on their toes
>>
>>49594662
requiring an umpire is terrible. but adding an umpire is great (usually).
>>
>>49593893
Frostgrave, even though it's generally unliked around here (and for good reason).

Pros:
Rulebook is cheap, has 2 supplement books and another coming.
The minis linked to the system are cheap and fantastic
Doesn't care if you use minis from other lines (I used plastic army men when I first played)
Built for a campaign, as in your wizard and their apprentice get better after each game (as long as you don't die)
Interesting after-game benefits (depending on which stronghold you choose, you'll get certain effects)

Cons:
Rules can be incredibly vague sometimes, or seem a little silly
The game can feel a little unbalanced, especially if your friend (or you) are a dick and take a warband of only archers. You can make/buy terrain to block sight, but under official rules ANYTHING can be climbed for a better shot, unless stated specifically in the scenario.
Matches can be a bit long, especially if you plan on playing with more than 2 people. Common suggestions are to create a turn limit (i.e.: After 8 turns, the match is over). Using a smaller play area might help as well (Go for the 2'x2')
ONLY your Wizard and their apprentice can become cooler. The rest are worthless peasants that you could give a fuck about.
Fucking up early in the game can fuck you over badly in the late game.

Be prepared to make up rules that feel a little more fair, or make more sense as you play. It's not a terrible game, but it certainly could've been better.
>>
>>49581131
The best part of the 360 isn't beating the games, its showing everyone else that I did!
>>
>>49598535
Quick question. My bro is super excited to play frost grave but wants to use heroclix figures for his warband. Everyone is using minis on round 30mm bases. Would this cause any problems balance wise?
>>
>>49593650

I just bought the Ensign starter set for Halo Fleet Battles, and am pretty intent on converting the fuck out of it to Full Thrust so I can build them up and have a set I can use to intro and pit against my Hiigarans.

Only thing is, is it okay to use multiple bases for Full Thrust? Like, HFB has their ships with up to three bases, is it okay to do the same for other ships to create a larger-sized battlefield silhouette?
>>
>>49600752

I wouldn't expect it to unless he's really taking advantage of it. Even then, it's miniscule.

Adopting the silhouette system of MERCS or Infinity solves a lot of those problems (while introducing some new ones as terrain needs to more easily hide more of the model to get the full benefit of cover.
>>
>>49597603
Oooh, that does sound like fun.
>>
>>49597603

That does sound amazing. Third-party to control environmental factors, events, or even limited NPCs like wild animals and monsters that might be on the field.
>>
File: kalyshi-team.jpg (608KB, 1535x547px) Image search: [Google]
kalyshi-team.jpg
608KB, 1535x547px
>>49592859
I think it's to show you can paint them whatever colour you like.

>>49592830
I'm looking forward to the character creator and seeing what races they'll have in there..
>>
File: norba.jpg (132KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
norba.jpg
132KB, 2048x1365px
Shit, Norba did some awesome figs for folks like me who wanted Bret knights on foot.
>>
>>49600960
No. I mean, you can use multiple bases for purpose of propping the ship up, but the entire ship is only ever one flight stem in FT, so you'd have to pick which base actually counts as the actual ship.
>>
>>49603239
>even
They look dope as fuck.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 951x851px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 951x851px
>>49603239
Looks like they'd mesh well with Momminiaturas' infantry
>>
>>49604225
And both of them are cheap Spanish resin figures. Coincidence? I think not!
>>
>>49604259
> Norba
> mom
> Avatars of War

Spain is really pulling through for folks who want Not!Warhammer
>>
>>49604271
They've been at it for years. I was considering getting some stuff from one of the companies (before I just stopped playing warhammer) as far back as about 2006 because they did nicer gothic cavalry than GW for Empire stuff, with a fantasy twist on it so not purely historical.
>>
>>49585220
>Which would work great if my friends only wanted to play Brets or Empire, but sucks when they want to field anything actually fantasy related.
Or you could play actual historical wargames instead. And places like Reaper do nice cheap minis for fantasy monsters and stuff for an emergency.
>>
File: 1583766711a.jpg (31KB, 550x324px) Image search: [Google]
1583766711a.jpg
31KB, 550x324px
>>
I'm wondering- I like the Dropzone commander models, but loathe the rules (essentially forcing me to buy 2x the number of models just to field space-taxis), would compressing the table be enough to make it a normal land-game, or should i also 2x the movement?
>>
>>49609594
>(essentially forcing me to buy 2x the number of models just to field space-taxis)
The dropships hold a fair bit don't they? I really like the Ground Control vibe frankly. But I'd experiment with doubling the ground scale.
>>
File: Dropzone Commander.jpg (175KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Dropzone Commander.jpg
175KB, 960x640px
>>49609594
>Hating a game all about being air mobile for being air mobile

You could just use the models for a different system you know.
>>
>>49609751
I mean, that's what I essentially want with the removal of the air bit, but the problem mis, most other 10-6mm games are either hopelessly outdated, or focusing on large formations.
>>
>>49609594
If the number of dropships annoy you, just play Shaltari.
>>
>>49609855
Polyversal went on kickstarter and actually used Hawk models as part of its units.
>>
File: xcom boardgame.png (179KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
xcom boardgame.png
179KB, 300x300px
>>49577401
>>49590822
>>49601663
Has anybody ever seen the Ballgame miniatures converted with rifles/pistols etc into generic alien warriors?
>>
>>49594662
I think many Battletech fellows are pretty big on the idea
>>
>>49577401
bulge
>>
File: Masons-Honour.jpg (161KB, 750x488px) Image search: [Google]
Masons-Honour.jpg
161KB, 750x488px
Guild ball?

Thinking of buying some Masons. For a starter team I was thinking;

Honour, Harmony, Wrecker, Flint, Mallet and then a toss up between Brick or Chisel. Tank dude or crazy chick?
>>
Do you guys prefer games in which all the characters are already named and have special abilities and so on, or games in which every type of soldier is 'generic'. By generic I mean not a random soldier, but a title. Like Warhammer for example. You can have Abaddon or you can have a Chaos Lord, and so on.

And would you rather have a campaign game or stand alone skirmishes/battles?
>>
>>49614975
I prefer the generic/customisable focus for small games, akin to Necromunda.

There's just something incredibly satisfying about seeing unskilled generic noobs turn into vicious killing machines.... or at least slightly wonky maiming machines over time. They're the characters and games I really remember, because what happened from game to game mattered.

Named characters with preset abilities is far too much of the MOBA (if that term can even still apply) style for me. Especially when you start running into duplicates, then it just gets weird. That matters far less when it's the same model but one goon is Robo Baggins the frenzied, half blind medic and the other is Jake From Accounting the marksman/chem-abuser.
>>
>>49609855
Horizon Wars
>>
>>49614975
Characters that are generic but can get traits and skills based on how well they do is nice.

Abaddon is a faggot.
>>
>>49614145
I'd go with crazy chick solely based on the sculpt.
>>
>>49611324
Not really, but what do you have in mind? Brother Vinni I think has some XCOM-esque minis in their range.
>>
>>49621583
A few moths back I saw some of the teams on sale and that got me thinking about all the things you could do with them.
Allied Tau in 40k, funky aliens in Infinity... whatever.

Was just wondering if anybody had seen these converted into more 'wargame' like minis instead of ballplayers.
>>
>>49621583
>>49622697
And there were also the homebrew XCom rules i saw kicking around here a few times.
>>
File: 1269066651297.jpg (106KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1269066651297.jpg
106KB, 400x300px
>>
File: 15mm buildings.jpg (199KB, 1600x733px) Image search: [Google]
15mm buildings.jpg
199KB, 1600x733px
>>49614975
Another vote for generic dudes that can be named.
>>
In a skirmish game, how much do you care about the difference in hand weapon types?
>>
>>49626424
Depends.
If it's a skirmish game with 12 models per side it's not as big a deal as a game with 4 models per side.
If it's only melee without ranged combat it's gonna be more important than in a game with guns.

Personally I wouldn't go overboard though.
Make a distinction between a sword and a hammer, but don't try to write rules for 5 different kinds of swords.
>>
>>49626424
while not necessary , a distinction between polearms and say, swords, is nice.
>>
>>49626424
I agree with these guys, at least 4-5 weapon types, and that's it. Unless the game is like a 3-4 models per side.

In a campaign, how do you guys like to level up? Buying upgrades/chance of upgrades with gold, or counting experience points for doing stuff? Like for killing and such.

I feel like the first one is easier, but also maybe less exciting. But the second is shitty to level up 'support dudes' like a Medic for example
>>
File: Mercenary owl.jpg (118KB, 541x700px) Image search: [Google]
Mercenary owl.jpg
118KB, 541x700px
Bump
>>
File: 1468275166958.jpg (385KB, 1478x1896px) Image search: [Google]
1468275166958.jpg
385KB, 1478x1896px
Is there any game that let me go full power metal and have I dont know, a templer welding a raygun while riding a golden tiger fighting an horde of gobbos with spears that shoot fireballs?
>>
>>49631174
Yes. Several.

Rogue Planet is pretty good! You can also wear a powerfist and pick up gobbos to use as improvised throwing weapons.
>>
Has anyone here played aetherium? I really love the pitch I got about it at Gencon, and was looking into it. Mostly the whole cyberspace thing and the ability to shift parts of the terrain around.
>>
>>49593893
FUBAR and its little expansions

Play anything you want, from War of the Roses to X-COM.
>>
I dont understand Guildball, where are the points values, it says just pick models but how do i know which ones are worth more than others
>>
>>49633742
They are all worth the same
>>
>>49633865
What, how? Surely no game is balanced that well
>>
File: barbarianwarband.jpg (321KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
barbarianwarband.jpg
321KB, 1024x768px
>>49628724
Nobody?
>>
>>49634880
I like gold collection more, but experience gain is also a very important part of the levelling feeling. Maybe do major things through gold, and minor feats through levelling? Like shortened reload time is available if you spend X exp points, or flanking gives a bonus after you spend Y exp points
>>
>>49634880
Counting xp for doing stuff.
>>
>>49628724
>>49634880
>>49634905
Counting xp or noting the actions of each mini can be a pain. I'd only note down kills.
Might be a nice compromise to make xp and gold an interchangeable thing when purchasing upgrades, with the distinction that minis that killed stuff get xp, which is exclusively usable on those minis and gold is a currency you can spend however you see fit and upgrade those support characters.

should add that i'm thinking of something like Mordheim or FG where you go after objectives/treasure which is how you would gain gold.
>>
>>49633889
It isn't but steamforged are hypothetically not afraid to tweak an underperforming models stats (though I think moving forward they will instead just apply nerfs and revise models with veteran versions). But all teams in GB are the same number of guys and they all need to take a mascot and captain.
>>
File: Dante's Angels Belphegor.jpg (151KB, 640x734px) Image search: [Google]
Dante's Angels Belphegor.jpg
151KB, 640x734px
>>49577401
>Sci-fi or fantasy or something else?
Right now? Post-apoc.
I think I'm gonna buy this guy soon.
And I've been wondering if there are people who play Eden on /tg/. Seems unlikely since the game is basically non-existent outside of France and Belgium.
>>
>>49637211

I play eden! Which is weird as yeah, definitely a continental Euro game.
>>
File: undeadgiant.jpg (133KB, 1375x1000px) Image search: [Google]
undeadgiant.jpg
133KB, 1375x1000px
How would you feel about post-apoc Fantasy?

Is there a setting like this in wargames?

Or maybe even the dying-earth genre...
>>
>>49637849
Kingdom Death, maybe?
>>
>>49637660
Where are you from?
I think there are a few germans and people from the UK who play, but as far as I know that's all.

Also I don't really know why but I'm a big fan of every one of their shield bearing minis.
>>
File: resistance chelsea.jpg (132KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
resistance chelsea.jpg
132KB, 600x600px
>>49638801
Aye, shit. There was supposed to be a pic attached.
>>
>>49638801

I'm in Canada. Definitely a dead game here but a friend and myself still like the models so pick them up.
>>
>>49577698
Correct, unfortunately. Dust was the victim of crippling autism and I don't think Westwind did their best managing SoTR, but there just might not be the market out there.
>>
>>49579351
pffft imperial special forces with ALL THE SKILLS are 50 points a model. is having all the skills worth it?
>>
>>49640283
Well, that's why they are special forces. Make them go commando and build an 1000 points army with 16 figures.
>>
File: matriarcat rampart man.jpg (61KB, 450x532px) Image search: [Google]
matriarcat rampart man.jpg
61KB, 450x532px
>>49639284
Do you play with your friend? I hope you do, because I think it's a really great game. I like the minis, but it's the rules that really got me into it.
>>
>>49640574
Not him, my only problem with the rules is that they are too specific faction and miniatureswise for me. What gripped me in TNT is the kind of vague-ness of the factions, tho I haven't played Eden yet, so I don't know the mechanics.

Are the rules available somewhere, if I might ask?
>>
Anyone have any thoughts on the halo ground command game? I'm picking up the 2 player kit to demo at cons with people who want to dive in for the nostalgia.

I fully expect Spartan to stop supporting it in a year or two.
>>
>>49640685
Figures are really cool, if they stop support, use a different ruleset.
>>
>>49640710

So let's say they drop it, or the system is utter shit. How would I go about finding a replacement system? I'm not super familiar with 15mm scale systems, spent my life with 28mm
>>
>>49640710
Why would he use different rules if they stop support? If the rules function and he has the models what is the issue?
>>
>>49640685

It's a good system, does away with a lot of the problems Spartans other games have.

For example exploding dice are limited so small arms fire can't through random chance become a apocalyptic hell barrage that can one shot anything in the game.

The reaction system is kind of neat too.
>>
>>49642676
> exploding dice

I never got the point of this mechanic, it seems like a press-your-luck thing but there's usually no downside to it.
>>
>>49640685
Pretty decent stuff, I know I'm jinxing myself here but I hope they stick with it, even if it's because of the fear of Microsoft lawyers.

The Pelican shipped this week right?
>>
>>49626516
>>49628569
Of course. Its more things that for the most part are functional similar. There should be a difference between a spear and a sword, but I'm more asking about the difference between a sword or a hand axe or a mace. My biggest concern is what happened in like 40k, where they started putting in rules for different forms of power wrapons that were heavily unbalanced, so it forced you to model specifics instead of what you wanted.
>>
>>49645370
>ut I'm more asking about the difference between a sword or a hand axe or a mace.
That really depends on the kind of game you are running and the system.

for example if you use armor or not might influence on how you want to treat hammers in comparison to swords.
Warhammers could give you a bonus against armor, while swords might just be faster or something.

If your armor doesn't use armor stats at all and few other stats you might just want to call the all a generic close combat weapon on paper.

Really kind of hard to answer without any context.

40k is different because it encourages silly combinations like thunderhammers on bikers.
>>
>>49645868
Context is the resolution is:
>Players roll off against each other
>Modifiers apply to the rolls
>Winner gets to roll for damage
>Damage is a roll, add power of the weapon, and try to beat the enemy's armor value to inflict a point of damage
>>
>>49637177
Veteran versions?
>>
File: clockwork man.jpg (1MB, 1600x1186px) Image search: [Google]
clockwork man.jpg
1MB, 1600x1186px
Any suggestions for a clockwork automata to follow my engineer around? Looking for 28mm scale for a skirmish campaign I'm putting together.
>>
>>49648609
Like epic casters from warmachine Season 2 adds alternate versions of existing characters with a different moveset. ex. Harmony now has 2 different statlines representing her "growth" in the fluff. Also a new model sometime.
>>
>>49648703
A warjack, maybe?
>>
>>49648703
Dystopian Legions Covenant Automata? They're 34mm scale, so should look pretty hulking, and the game was a total failure, so a box of them should be cheap.
>>
>>49649709
This looks like a good option. A lot of them have smooth curves and I'd personally like something a little more angular. I like pic related though.

>>49649805
These could definitely work too!
>>
File: IMG_0930.jpg (352KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0930.jpg
352KB, 600x600px
>>49649824
Forgot the picture...
>>
>>49648703
Westphalia miniatures has some nice smaller pieces like wind up brassmonkeys.
Wolsung has bigger pieces. Specifically the Inventors's Guild faction.
In her majesty's name could have some stuff that fits the style, but I'm not sure if they have automata.
>>
>>49649831
Am I the only one who thinks Warmachine minis look like shit?

The jacks are bulky and ugly, and most of their minis are pretty bulky and with awful designs as well.

Some of them look really good though, but maybe just a 25% of them
>>
>>49650863
I think theyre well designed BUT I hate the style itself so Ill never get into warmachine
>>
>>49650863
>Some of them look really good though, but maybe just a 25% of them
Yeah, this. I play Khador and there are so many shitty models in the range. It really limits what I'm willing to buy and use. I think the way to see them is as an acquired taste.
>>
>>49651172
After a while you kinda get fed up with rivets and screws.
>>
>>49649805
I'm pretty sure I read a guy, an experienced commission painter, talking about how he returned the miniatures and payment because they were far too fucking fiddly to assemble. They have way more parts than they need, and the flash was awful, or something like that.

and they're relatively huge.

but man, they do some sweet tankettes and transport stuff that would totally fit with my shit.
>>
>>49652882
I think it was me with the mercenary elf sword/bow guys, forgot their name. Assembled the archers without too much problem, but then the swordsmen...fucking hell, a nightmare to assemble.
>>
>>49652882
>>49653180
Oh wait, I'm retarded. Thought it was about Warmachine for some reason.
>>
>>49652882
I would say "Wow, that doesn't seem right, Spartan's actual models are usually pretty good, I'd have heard if that was the case", but then I remembered that people would have to buy the models to know they were shit.
>>
File: blackchapel.jpg (53KB, 800x619px) Image search: [Google]
blackchapel.jpg
53KB, 800x619px
Black Chapel is doing some pretty impressive, albeit rather expensive shit.

Another Spanish manufacturer btw.
>>
>>49650863
I kinda like them, but I've talked with a lot of people and quite some dislike their look.But theres also some jacks that are simply ugly really.
>>
File: IMG_0949.jpg (307KB, 1544x903px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0949.jpg
307KB, 1544x903px
Here's the band of unscrupulous mercenary types I'm going to use to demo A Song of Swords and Heroes to my mates. The other side will be made up of GW Lord of the Rings Orcs (including some Warg Riders).

Any suggestions on colour scheme? I was thinking green and white.
>>
Any good IGOUGO mech games that don't have too much bookkeeping? I'm fine with a keeping track of damage and shields and the like, but I'd like to avoid Battletech levels.
>>
>>49658036
Kings of War?
>>
>>49658047
Isn't that the rank and file Not! Warhammer game?
>>
>>49658189
Pretty much, yes.
>>
>>49658221
I think you misread, I'm after a mech game as in giant robots shooting each other
>>
>>49658491
I did indeed misread.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 600x527px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 600x527px
>>49657956
>Any suggestions on colour scheme?

Green and white sounds good too.
>>
File: frogfolk-warband.jpg (2MB, 2256x1500px) Image search: [Google]
frogfolk-warband.jpg
2MB, 2256x1500px
Any good, easy to get for free and download skirmish game with nice mechanics?

Something that isn't just rolling dice, but thinking a bit more

Better if it's fantasy
>>
>>49659300
Bump!
>>
>>49585342
Power weapons dont just cancel saves anymore, how old are your fucking rulebooks?
>>
>>49659300
>Something that isn't just rolling dice, but thinking a bit more
wut? A diceless system or something with say action points?
>>
>>49585342
Power Klaws are the same as power fists, read the fucking rulebook you ugly faggot

>>49659300
Tried SoBH?
>>
How do you guys feel about mixing 28mm and 32 mm in Frostgrave? I'm not sure, but there are several really nice 32 mm figures I'd want to own and use.
>>
>>49663599
Its usually fine, depends on the figure more than anything else.
>>
>>49664445
So humans from arena rex or zombicide should fit right in, if I choose to, hmm.
>>
>>49663599

Depends on what the figures are.

I have 2 warbands for FG, one is made from Fire Forge Templars and the other from GW Beastmen. By comparison with each other the Beastmen are all pushing 8 feet tall but it looks fine since they are so monstrous when compared with the Templars.

If they were regulars humans it'd look pretty off.
>>
>>49664910
Argh, that's true... Maybe I should just buy them to paint and display anyway, they look good.
>>
>>49640642
They are available for free on the game's website (eden-the-game.com), but the translation (from french) is meh. Though the rules are (I think) perfectly understandable.
>>
>>49666462
Thanks man!
>>
>>49577401
Where can I get good quality 28mm classic wizards? Robes, pointy hats, wands or staffs-the works. I had a look at Frostgrave but nothing quite did it for me.
>>
>>49666811
Have you checked GWs "battlemage" set?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Empire-Battle-Wizards

Lots of options and different parts for heads and weapons, but rather pricey.

Reaper should have classic wizards too.
>>
>>49666811
Reaper, and in case you can hunt them down, Zvezda made a nice box of plastic wizards - one multipart figure with a pointy hat and a bunch of different staffs for different kind of wizards.
>>
Are there any good russian/polish/ukrainian wargames out there?
>>
>>49666849
they are easily available on ebay actually:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28-mm-Magicians-Magier-Ring-of-Rule-Zvezda-8816-Plastik-Bausatz-Figur-OVP-/302066112586?hash=item46548b184a:g:25UAAOSwyQtVw5uZ
>>
>>49666870
With Fire and Sword, Zvezda's war/boardgames, possibly Zvezda's Ring of Rule (have the book, but haven't read through it), and I'm sure I missed a whole lot.

>>49666885
Ah, glad to know. Some of the minis are hard to track down (couldn't get any of their Elven sets beside the sorceress), and I'd like to get some more of their barbarians too. Nice figures desu.
>>
Anyone here have any opinions on Mobile Suit Gundam Skirmish? I've never really played a wargame before so I don't feel I'm really equipped to form an opinion based on just the rules.
>>
>>49655004
What scale are those?
>>
>>49667896
28mm
>>
>>49666811
Otherworld?
>>
>>49660431
Why read anything when I know you'll angrily clarify everything for me?
Thread posts: 248
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.