[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been thinking about making a Weird West setting;

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: Cowboys.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Cowboys.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
So I've been thinking about making a Weird West setting; a bit like the Wild West but with fantasy, magic, science fiction maybe, etc.

Any advice or ideas? Any examples?
>>
>>49573797
Look up Deadlands.
>>
File: DL[1].png (67KB, 550x216px) Image search: [Google]
DL[1].png
67KB, 550x216px
>>49573797
Deadlands.

Its pretty much exactly what you described. The rules are pretty easy to learn too.
>>
>>49573797
been done to death, and no way you could ever make anything as good as >>49573841
>>
>>49573862

>and no way you could ever make anything as good as >>49573841

That's kind of subjective.

I mean, the reason it's so great is the sheer amount of stuff it has statted out.

But narratively the setting is unbearably stupid. Especially the liberties the writers took with the "CSA won the Civil War" alt history sub plot.
>>
File: p8223393_p_v8_ab.jpg (579KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p8223393_p_v8_ab.jpg
579KB, 960x1440px
>>49573946
The CSA won but then got rid of slavery for the sole reason of 'Having slavery in an RPG is to politically incorrect".

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of the lore and I'd prefer just 'This is the real American west, and then weird shit happens".

But, that isn't hard to do with the savage worlds system.

Alternatively if you want something more crunchy you can use GURPS or modified D20. But those are going to be a lot more work on the GM's part.

Pic only slightly related.
>>
>>49573797
>>49574034
To expand on that, OP, if you want to do something more 'Real American West +Weird Shit' you could just have the PCs be 'normal' characters that, after being hired by someone to do something (Maybe track down a bank robber or something) could then discover some of the weird elements of the setting.

Though that might make it more of a mystery than you were going for.

You could also look into Arcanum. Its not wild west, but it is steampunk/fantasy and it has some elements of what you might be looking for. Its a crpg though.

Pathfinder could work depending on how you do it. I think pathfinder would be great for something like Arcanum with the gunslinger being a class and all that business.
>>
>>49573824
>>49573841
>>49573862
>>49573946

>OP specifically said MAKING

Why do you assume I want to use somebody else's? I want to make my own, not run some shitty setting somebody else made. Besides deadlands is edgy and not weird in the way I like.
>>
>>49574100
OP also asked for examples.
>>
File: 1463771467267.png (3KB, 186x186px) Image search: [Google]
1463771467267.png
3KB, 186x186px
>>49574100

> I want to make my own, not run some shitty setting somebody else made.

Well now a howdy doody fuck you to you too, pal.

You were thinking up a fantasy Western setting, we provided you with a great resource for ideas and inspirations, which also features its own setting. We even described some of its problems and advise you how to avoid them to come up with something new.

But instead you're just gonna act like a cock about it because we're not making up some steel donut system and setting for you. Write your own damn setting if that's so important to you.
>>
File: british w gun unshadow.jpg (175KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
british w gun unshadow.jpg
175KB, 700x600px
But what's more interesting

Fantasy wild west?
OR
Fantasy colonial era?
>>
>>49574118
>>49574127

It's not helpful when everyone gives the same example. 3 posts of 'DEADLANDS DEADLANDS DEADLANDS!" don't contribute anything, they are redundant.
>>
>>49574433

Maybe it's because it's exactly what you're apparently looking for, fampai. And because /tg/ loves talking about Deadlands.

If it doesn't float your boat that's fine, but don't be a dick about it. People who post vague, open-ended solicitations for input then immediately get catty when responses aren't exactly what they want are the worst.
>>
>>49574298
For action? Wild/Weird-West has six-shooters, dynamite, trains, and gatling-guns. As far as I'm concerned, that alone puts it pretty far ahead.

Besides, you can have the best of both. Just take things you like from each and put them in the same world; that's the way a lot of good game-settings came to be.
>>
>>49573797
You could look at the Wild Cards setting on 1d4chan. Probably more focused than you're looking for, but you could drop parts into your own setting.
>>
Manifest Destiny is a comic you might want to try out.
Lewis And Clark, but with monsters.
>>
guns that shoot bees, and bees that shoot guns
>>
File: tmp_7159-cover_lg1956147371.jpg (123KB, 586x791px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7159-cover_lg1956147371.jpg
123KB, 586x791px
>>49573797
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.