[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Awkward moments at your table >playing in usual group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 403
Thread images: 42

File: 1475018800862.png (505KB, 504x470px) Image search: [Google]
1475018800862.png
505KB, 504x470px
ITT: Awkward moments at your table

>playing in usual group
>new kid joins
>he's like 16
>rolls a necromancer
>party just fought off some orcs that were raiding a caravan
>necromancer animates dead on one of the orc bodies
>in front of our druid
>who hates arcane magic because he was taught that it's bad juju
>druid tells him to destroy his creation
>necromancer says no
>druid attacks
>necromancer didn't have any retreating or utility spells
>took nothing but damaging spells and animate dead
>dies
>irl kid starts fucking crying
>whole table is silent while he sobs for like 4 minutes straight
>DM: ''Uhhh maybe we should take a break''
>we end up bringing his character back, retconning the whole thing so he stops crying
>he still plays with us

Just the experience of watching this 16 year old highschool student start sobbing made it a very very uncomfortable session.
>>
>>49567651
>who hates arcane magic because he was taught that it's bad juju

You mean hates necromancy cuz it's bad juju right?
>>
>>49567683
No he just straight up hated arcane magic that didn't come from the primordial elements, he was from a secluded barbarian tribe and was their Shaman, necromancer knew this beforehand.
>>
>>49567716
So he was going to kill the corpse fiddling weenie no matter what spell he cast? What a mess.
>>
>>49567716
Wait, so he would have killed him no matter what? You didn't tell him to not play an arcane caster if your druid was an asshat?
>>
>>49567651
As the GM, it's your job to make sure the players are all aware of each other, and to make sure that they are all on-board with fostering a cooperative environment.

PC-vs-PC conflict can be a good thing, but when you have a situation like >>49567757
>So he was going to kill the corpse fiddling weenie no matter what spell he cast? What a mess.

you've done a poor job preparing the game.
>>
>>49567651
>Murders new kid's character over "bad juju"
>5 bucks says "It's wut my character would do"
>Makes a kid cry (high school can be rough, not everyone is well adjusted at that point)
Nature boy sounds like a tool. Is there a reason he hasn't been tossed out?
>>
I mean yeah, all awkward aside, sounds like the Druid was a bit of a dick in that story
>>
>>49567651
>druid tells him to destroy his creation
>necromancer says no
>druid attacks
This is like watching kids fight each other in the sandbox over a sandcastle.
>>
>>49567807
I don't think it was the Druid, it sounds like the GM was the twat. The GM, knowing that the Druid wouldn't like any arcane spellcaster (really limiting character, but the group must've been okay with him picking it) should have advised the kid not to pick a Necromancer.

It's a less extreme example of the whole Lawful-Good group scenario. If the pre-existing group has a Lawful-Good Paladin, the GM should never allow a new player to drop in with a Chaotic-Evil Anti-Paladin.
>>
Druid sounds like a that guy.
>>
Why didn't you do anything about it OP? Does your character consider murder an acceptable solution for someone who doesn't follow the teachings of the druid's tribe?

Where was everybody else on this? Did you all just sit back and let this happen?
>>
File: 1449014398925.png (169KB, 626x705px) Image search: [Google]
1449014398925.png
169KB, 626x705px
Last week we had a moment with our resident 'That Guy'. If you're in the /tg/ discord then you probably know him well. He likes to manipulate his brother who is also in group into doing stuff with 'suggestions' like "Maybe you should go here/talk to this person/attack this guy" typically to the benefit of That Guy. One of my other players finally had enough of That Guy basically playing his brothers character for him and told him to knock it off, to which that guy quickly responded with "SHUT THE FUCK UP IM JUST TRYING TO HELP HIM." Table went quiet and we took a break to go eat after that. When we got back they moved to sit nowhere near each other.
>>
Idiot teens General?

>Playing in a Supers Game as a Blasty Character, basically crushes shit with gravity control.
>Retarded 16 year old younger brother of GM plays a guy described as "Gargoyle IceMan but with rocks. And his "trails" collapse like an avalanche after he passes."
>Group never see him transform.
>Oh shit, kaiju attack egged on by a group of Supervillians.
>Non-flying portion of the group is in a Jeep shooting shit at wannabe Godzilla to try and lure him out of the city.
>Rock-Iceman matter-surfs over the road we're fleeing along nearly crashing our jeep.
>Thinking Rock-Iceman is one of the Supervillians I fire on him.
>Crit, knocking him unconscious.
>Rock-Iceman is about three stories in the air when KOed.
>Falls to his death.
>Starts blubbering.
>Everyone is silent.
>His brother, the GM, laughs.
>Kid runs upstairs to tell mom.
>We hear his mom say "It's only a game, quit being a baby."
>We snicker and game goes on.
>>
What a bunch of cunts, the GM and players all ganging up on the kid who is fucking new and backing a chronic MY GUY syndrome faggot druid. You suck Shit OP, you could've stopped it
>>
>>49567903
>GM should pander to one player and let them dictate the entire party's fun

no desu
>>
>>49567994
I mean he's pandering to the druid already if the druid murders anyone who casts a spell on sight.
>>
File: 1475169618976.png (566KB, 890x388px) Image search: [Google]
1475169618976.png
566KB, 890x388px
>>49567994
Trying to prevent inter-party conflict by preventing a character from joining that is inherently incompatible with an already existing character != pandering.
>>
What a bummer, gm needed to keep the players on the same page or limit character options to keep the party moving. Also any character who would attack a common player type obviously isn't suited to be an adventurer to begin with.
>>
>>49567651
I've been this dude, excited to be in the game, then two players just off and kill me because "I am a serial killer that hates nobles". And the DM was fine with it.
>>
>>49568055
Not only would the GM, by your suggestion, be allowing this asshole to play such a retarded character that could CREATE inter-party conflict, he'd be telling everyone else to just let the idiot have his way and not make the characters they want. Even if it's not intentional, it's giving them favoritism.

TL;DR: Giving an idiot free reign to decide what the rest of the party can freely play is pandering, you fine gentleman.
>>
>playing in usual group
>new kid joins
>he's like 16
>rolls a bard
>party needs to talk to some information out of a female orc
>bard tries to charm her by singing a lewd song
>in front of our druid
>who hates male sexuality because she was taught that it's oppression
>druid tells him to destroy his song because it's literally raping her
>druid attacks and kills him
>druid's irl player starts fucking crying
>whole table is silent while she sobs for like 4 minutes straight
>DM: "Uhhh maybe we should take a break"
>when we get back to the table we find that the druid left early
>tfw she stole all the snacks
>>
>>49567780
OP here, the druid was able to let most Arcane magic slide so long as it was being used for good, when he saw the necromancer animate dead though he snapped.
>>
>playing in usual group
>new kid joins
>he's like 16
>rolls a theif
>party needs to get an enchanted gold ring from a noble
>theif decides to pickpocket it
>in front of our druid
>who hates theives because he was taught by the ancient tribes of fuck you to be an uptight little nigger
>druid tells him to put the ring back because stealing is wrong
>theif says no
>Theif IRL start's crying
>we end up bringing his character back, retconning the whole thing so he stops crying
>he still plays with us
>>
>playing in usual group
>new kid joins
>he's like 16
>rolls a fighter
>party needs to fight their way into an evil temple guarded by orcs to prevent the apocalypse
>fighter decapitates an orc
>in front of our druid
>who hates killers because he was taught by the ancient tribes that all life is sacred
>druid tells him to put the orc's head back on
>fighter says no
>fighter IRL start's crying
we end up bringing his character back, retconning the whole thing so he stops crying
>he still plays with us
>>
File: 1451483531571.jpg (101KB, 848x900px) Image search: [Google]
1451483531571.jpg
101KB, 848x900px
>>49568361
>missed greentexting a line
Well, that's enough internet for me forever.
>>
>>49568371
at least you participated in the circle jerk
>>
>>49567651
God forbid you figure out if the character would work with the party before letting it into the fucking game. Shit GM.
>>
>>49567651
>Be playing homebrew game back in high school
>Friend of a friend is playing a paladin
>Come across elf woman crucified to a tree
>Playing emo bard, try to save her
>"Is she hot?" quoth the paladin
>Rape ensues
>Hours-long bitchfest and infighting
>>
>>49568394
Or god forbid you put aside "muh character" for the sake of the party.
I've played a fighter who was mentally insane, believing himself to be a paladin, who would murder anyone for the slightest bit of evil.
And even he would turn a blind eye towards the party's shenanigans for the sake of cohesion.
>>
>>49568419
Every Paladin player I have played with has killed one of my characters because they were evil. Pisses me off.
>>
>>49568444
I think interplayer conflicts should be avoided, and if done, should only be done for the right reasons. Like, an evil guy betraying his party so he can gain power. That makes sense, and, on top of that, can set up a whole new BBEG. But when it's just "I don't like thing you did, die." It's just not fun. Make up an excuse, like your character didn't see it, or they don't care about that particular person doing. Anything to avoid "lol u trigered muh characters ptsd, prepare to die."
>>
>>49568406
>not having the elf explode on the paladin due to lolmagic
>not having his dick and ballsack getting mangled by the bone shrapnel giving him a literal mangina
>not having him get a dozen fucking diseases due to blood, puss, marrow and sticking his dick on a woman he doesn't know

Shit GM, really
>>
>>49568229
And this justifies murder how?
Again, where were you, or anyone else for that matter and why did no one stop the druid?
>>
>>49568419
Yeah, generally player characters get a couple free passes before anyone turns to PvP. Making a character that absolutely can't work with another allowable class and must attack them is fucking retarded.

The only time PvP is justifiable is if both parties consent to it, or a character is repeatedly fucking over the party on purpose.
>>
>>49568229
And how is animating an Orc Bandit's dead corpse so it can kill more orc bandits not good?
>>
File: 1475125454920.gif (978KB, 154x154px) Image search: [Google]
1475125454920.gif
978KB, 154x154px
>>49568229
>when he saw the necromancer animate dead
You mean that thing necromancers fucking revolve around?

Why did you let the kid play as one?
This was such a retardedly avoidable situation, like, what the actual fuck, man?
>>
>>49568444
>Every Paladin player I have played with has killed one of my characters because they were evil. Pisses me off.
Was it because you were trying to be a teamkilling fucktard?

Or just doing a bunch of obvious evil stuff in game?

Why don't you just write chaotic neutral on your character sheet and see how that goes?
>>
>>49568229
Clearly the necromancer animated dead to have cannon fodder in future battle, though. Why else would you raise the dead in public?
>>
>>49567651
Well there was the time two people started to PvP over one character getting his character arc over with. He was playing a selfish little girl who wanted to be "the bad guy" because that's the coolest person in all the books she's read. Traded places with an ancient evil locked inside a tin skeleton so the ancient evil could wander freely but the character could have the Godlike powers; to sell the ancient evil on the deal, she exploded an airship she thought had a bunch of people on it (including her own love interest). TechnoPaladin justifiably tried to kill her before she could switch places with the ancient evil. I let one roll go on, with its consequences, before the ancient evil just forced the switch because it was super impatient (and because I wanted to get the ironic comeuppance of the character over with).

OOC technopaladin's player was insistent that I let the PvP situation play out but I could tell the other player just wanted to get the reality-bending awesome skeleton superpowers and be done with it. Lots of silences there.

Of course the 'villain' girl became the new ancient evil, with very limited powers that are based on a 'contract', a little give-and-take. The old ancient evil just turned heel and went to get ice cream because it'd been in that underground chamber locked inside a skeleton for a billion years, figuring the new world didn't really need any destroyin' since it looked nice and techno-y.
>>
>playing in usual group
>new grandad joins
>he's like 61
>rolls a paladin
>party needs to punish a villager who is a cultist
>paladin decides to lay on hands him and forgives his sins
>in front of the barbarian
>who hates healing because he is from a tribe that believes that healing is bad juju and that nice people are also bad juju
>barbarian tells him to hit him again because healing is wrong and that forgiveness is for the weak
>paladin says no
>barbarian attacks and gets smitten to death
>paladin IRL starts laughing
>whole table silent while he chuckles for like 4 minutes straight
>we end up kicking the barbarian out for being a disruptive dicknob who tries to PvP just because he doesn't like others
>grandad still plays with us
>>
>>49568625
It wasn't up to me, the DM allowed it and the kid really wanted to play as one, like I said before he knew the druid despised arcane magic, especially evil magic.
>>
>Kid expresses interest in a genre already dying, left standing on obnoxious tryhards and socially-defunct neckbeards to keep it afloat
>Expresses interest in certain class
>How will I, the DM, a player expressly and solely given free reign to introduce and modify the game's details for the betterment of others and the overall quality and enjoyment of the game, handle a situation of minor discrepancy?
>Ah, yes, let the leveled Druid murder the new kid's character for no valid reason
>Why did he cry /tg/? What a pussy
This is the part where I tell you to step down, not just from gaming, but perhaps all human interaction. I suggest ensuring this by bullet to your cranium, post-haste.
>>
>>49568724
You're guilty by association. You had every opportunity to say/do something, but you didn't. You let a bad situation happen for no reason, and then wonder why everyone blames you.
>>
File: 1449484781766.gif (422KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1449484781766.gif
422KB, 500x280px
>>49568795
OP is not the DM family
>>
>>49568823
Still just as guilty though. See:
>>49568809
>>
>>49568823
An irrelevant detail at best.
>>
>>49568722
I want this to be true...
>>
>>49568724
But your character's actions ARE up to you. Why didn't anyone's characters do anything? Are you all just chill with straight up murder out of a moment of anger? Besides the necromancer, are you all a bunch murderhobos?
>>
>>49568852
It's just a rehash of the op, kappa.
>>
>>49568853
Addendum: is there not a single good or lawful character in the party?
>>
>>49568876
Well, I mean, apparently the druid is, if he's willing to kill for the "right" thing.Then again, killing someone because "muh virtues" isn't exactly a good or lawful thing to do, so i dunno.
>>
File: 1459675727400.png (20KB, 518x386px) Image search: [Google]
1459675727400.png
20KB, 518x386px
>its an "/tg/ tries as hard as possible to be contrarian and jump to conclusions" episode
>>
File: 1459178248555.png (54KB, 200x211px) Image search: [Google]
1459178248555.png
54KB, 200x211px
>>49568724
I would take it up with the hypocritical asshole who recoils when someone puppeteers a fucking dead piece of meat with magic, but thinks turning into a bear and raping foxes behind bushes is totally natural...
>>
>>49568912
What conclusions are we drawing? There's no conceivably good reason for the druid to kill the necromancer. It was a dick move, plain and simple.
>>
>>49567651
>Party is all CE or NE
>Sorceress whore PC gets her ass beat in a fight with enemy wizard
>rest of the party take him down, no healing available tho so sorc is still unconscious
>rest of party affixes "1 use for 5cp" sign near sorc, who is also stripped naked
>next morning collect a few GP
>run into the customers (orc patrol), sorc still naked
>have her seduce one of them into woods as part of plan to murder him
>mess up my attack rolls several rounds in a row, he thinks it's just weird sex play
>don't actually manage to kill him till after he busts in the sorc

It was pretty hilarious but also made the relationship between the sorc and party pretty awkward after
>>
File: 1431636916334.jpg (194KB, 1920x817px) Image search: [Google]
1431636916334.jpg
194KB, 1920x817px
>>49568912
Fuck you, we're not being contrarian.
>>
>>49568937
Thinking that OP is the GM.
Thinking that OP is responsible for what happened.
Jumping to insults and lectures based on the OPs story with sparse information.
>>
>>49568981
Fuck you, yes we are.
>>
File: 1444137967872.jpg (293KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
1444137967872.jpg
293KB, 621x621px
>>49568964
>1 use for 5cp
>collect a few gp
>>
>>49569001
1: People just assumed he was in charge of the game. He never EXPLICITLY stated he wasn't.
2: He could have prevented it/protested it at any time.
3: We know that the bullshit that went down could have at anytime been prevented by a competent player.
>>
>>49567903
He should've booted the druid, or told him to tone it down for the other players.
>>
>>49569001
>Thinking that OP is responsible for what happened.
OP is responsible for what happened. By not doing anything to stop it, he's just as responsible for the necromancer's death as the GM and as everyone else in the party save the necromancer himself and the druid, who are least and most at fault, respectively.
>>
>>49568862
I know, but I still wanna believe.
>>
>>49569089
k
>>
>>49569033
Oh shit, I missed that part. Assuming a few equals 3, then that equals 60 fucks. Assuming an 8 hour night, that's one fuck every 8 minutes (possibly even shorter, when accounting for people moving to allow the next person to fuck.) And that's not even accounting for people who may have not paid, or the fact that a "few" could be even more than 3.
>>
>>49569001
>Thinking that OP is the GM.
irrelevant
>Thinking that OP is responsible for what happened.
if he wasn't in a fucking coma when kid took the fucking class, he is
>Jumping to insults and lectures based on the OPs story with sparse information.
the evidence of OP's, party's and GM's raging incompetence was piling with each post
they watched as gaming equivalent of people letting some naked drunk black guy walk into clansmen gathering
they knew exactly what the fuck was gonna happen and they still let it happen
>>
>>49568229
How does animating the dead imply evil?
And why is the druids focus good?

Kid is pathetic for crying over it, but the druid was a sperg.
>>
>>49569042
>>49569064
>>49569169

OPs post literally has a line of text from the DM, which makes it pretty clear its not him. He also said that the necromancers player was made clear about the druids caster-phobia but still wanted to go ahead anyway. In that case, what could anyone other than the GM do? They can't just fucking veto the kids character. Was the GM at fault for allowing him to play a necromancer despite knowing it'd go poorly? Yes. Was the druid at fault for immediately jumping to killing the necromancer? Yes.

But on the other hand, its frustrating to have a character with a quirk thats been cleared by the GM and everyone else as being okay, only to have a new player come in and make roleplaying that quirk difficult. I played a proud samurai in a Sengoku-themed game who took quick offense to insults, and when a new player joined the first thing they did with their character was insult him and refuse to apologise or back down. The issue was solved by a non-lethal duel instead of straight-up fucking murder though, and the druid is at fault for butchering the necromancer instead of finding SOME possible way to work together. Though with a 16 year-old whos sensitive enough to cry over an imaginary character thats existed for 5 minutes, I'm not sure how well that would have worked.
>>
Ok, so now that it's been established that you and the rest of your party are brain dead twats who don't understand the concepts of "easing someone in" and "not being teamkilling fucktards or complacent bystanders", how are you going to prevent this from happening next time? Are just going to go along until some thing else stupid fucks over the poor kid? Because that just sounds like a recipe for more awkwardness and discomfort.
>>
>>49569251
>He also said that the necromancers player was made clear about the druids caster-phobia but still wanted to go ahead anyway.
Fucking when
>OPs post literally has a line of text from the DM
Some people fucked up, so what?
>a 16 year-old whos sensitive enough to cry over an imaginary character thats existed for 5 minutes
Imagine, for a moment, that you are a 16 year old kid in high school. You have weird nerdy interests, and thus little to no friends because of it. One day, some adults you know kindly invite you to join in a game of DnD they are playing. You've never played DnD but have always wanted to. You make a simple character that makes sense to you, a necromancer that has good attack. You start in next to a dead body, and you do what makes sense to you. You make it a zombie. Immediately you are attacked by someone who you trusted as a nice, responsible adult. Now, tell me, how do you react? Maybe the kid had been having a bad day or something.
>>
>>49569235
see the bottom section of:
>>49569359
>>
File: 1475119429852.jpg (277KB, 1050x703px) Image search: [Google]
1475119429852.jpg
277KB, 1050x703px
I wasn't even the GM, I was a player when it happened, why are you all bullying me? The kid still plays with us, it's not like he gave up the hobby because of it.
>>
>>49569417
Because you could have stopped this fuckery.
If you hadn't have known about any of it beforehand, and due to screwery couldn't stop it during, then we would understand. But otherwise, you had every chance to prevent it.
>>
>>49569359
>Fucking when
Here
>>49568724

>Some people fucked up, so what?
So some posters here are jumping to conclusions that make them look silly?

>Imagine, for a moment, that you are a 16 year old kid in high school. You have weird nerdy interests, and thus little to no friends because of it. One day, some adults you know kindly invite you to join in a game of DnD they are playing. You've never played DnD but have always wanted to. You make a simple character that makes sense to you, a necromancer that has good attack. You start in next to a dead body, and you do what makes sense to you. You make it a zombie. Immediately you are attacked by someone who you trusted as a nice, responsible adult. Now, tell me, how do you react? Maybe the kid had been having a bad day or something.
I actually did play with some old grognards when I was 16, and while it could have gone a lot better I still understood the concept that the character isn't me and that certain actions might upset other members of the party. The druid DID ask him to deanimate the zombie before killing him, which is a pretty clear signal even if the druids player is still a dick for not trying to find some other way of dealing with the necromancer. I mean for fucks sake, we're talking about someone whos 16, not 6. Bad day or not, sobbing for 4 minutes is a bit over the top.
>>
>>49569417
Ok maybe it wasn't your fault buddy, but next time try and top it. We don't want to see a grown man cry anymore than we want to see a kid cry.

We're more angry at the druid than anything.
>>
>playing in usual group
>new kid joins
>he's like 16
>rolls a thief
>party just fought off some proles that were raiding a buisness
>thief starts writing a manifesto
>in front of our Paladin of St. Paul
>who hates manifestos, because he was taught they prohibit liberty
>Paladin of St. Paul tells him he's violating NAP
>Thief says he isn't
>Paladin of St. Paul attacks
>Thief is a pacifist
>His main stat was charisma and dex was his dump stat
>dies
>irl kid starts fucking crying
>DM: ''Uhhh maybe we should take a break''
>irl Paladin tells the kid to stop crying, because crying in his house(we played at his place) violates the NAP
>kid leaves
>>
>>49569033
I assume that some people may have paid more since she was 20 CHA, but the GM didn't specify, just said she woke up naked, covered in cum, and felt very sore.

What's even better is that she only failed the roll to test pregnancy after the last orc.
>>
>>49567651
Wait a fucking minute. Was this kid's name Justin, by any chance?
>>
>>49569373
Yeah fair, maybe I'm too hard on him for crying.
>>
>playing in usual group
>new kid joins
>he's like 16
>rolls a monk
>party needs to kill a goblin
>monk decides to punch it
>in front of our druid
>who hates punching people because he was taught punching people is wrong.
>druid tells him to unpunch the goblin
>monk says no
>monk IRL start's crying
>he still plays with us
>>
>>playing in usual group
>>new kid joins
>>he's like 16
>>rolls a wizard
>>party comes across a elven damsel in distress
>>wizard decides to rape her
>>in front of our druid
>>who hates rape because he was taught raping people is wrong.
>>druid tells him to stop raping the elf
>>wizard says no
>>druid attacks and kills him
>>wizards IRL start's crying
>>whole table is silent while he sobs for like 4 minutes straight
>>DM: "Uhhh maybe we should take a break"
>>we end up bringing his character back, retconning the whole thing so he stops crying
>>he rapes the elf again
>>
File: 400.5.jpg (47KB, 529x1024px) Image search: [Google]
400.5.jpg
47KB, 529x1024px
>>49569033
>>
File: Henry.jpg (2MB, 971x1274px) Image search: [Google]
Henry.jpg
2MB, 971x1274px
>Join a group that's been playing for a while
>Total newbie to the hobby
>Introduced to all the characters
>Know that one is vehemently against arcane magic, double especially evil magic
>...but I REALLY REALLY want to play an explicitly evil crimes-against-nature wizard for my first game.
>Join the game, avoid disruption at first
>Try to employ my profane arts directly in front of this party member
>He doesn't like it but doesn't attack me, just tells me to undo it
>I refuse and brace for combat
>I lose because I didn't think ahead to plan for defense or escape
>Cry when my favorite first character that I played for an hour dies

Yeah guys, you know you can make anyone sound like the fool when you write a greentext?
>>
>>49569417
Ok, yeah we're being pretty hard on you. But as for why, well I was an awkward 16 teenager who didn't get enough social interaction growing up and was pretty oversensitive due to a lot of bullying by other kids and even a couple of teachers. I can imagine the heartbreak the kid COULD have felt, if he has similar circumstances.

Here's the question. Was he torn up just because his character died or because of something more? Maybe he was getting shit on in a place where he thought he'd be accepted? Don't you remember getting upset by dumb shit when you were his age?
I'm not saying walk on eggshells so you don't trigger him, just stick up for the kid a bit. Shit sucks at that age, man.
>>
>>49569671
Yeah, but why would you make yourself look like a fool?
I don't really see the purpose.
>>
>>49568173
>>49568292
>>49568361
I kept thinking "what's up with all of these 16 year olds" until I caught what was going on
I am not very clever
>>
>>49569623
NO SENSE OF RIGHT OR WRONG
>>
>>49569510
fucking ancap memes, they get me everytime
>>
>>49569757
please keep away from the kitchen
>>
>>49569818
I ordered carryout tonight so I think the house won't burn down, maybe
>>
>>49569874
I was more worried about you accidentally walking into the 12th plane of torment
>>
>>49569534
I assume some people didn't pay at all. You didn't have anyone stand around and watch, did you?
>>
>>49569757
>>49569818
>>49569874
>>49569914
>>49569917
what the fuck are you two on about?
>>
>>49570009
I'm pretty sure that's 3 different people, for starters
>>
>>49570069
but what are they talking about, and why?
>>
File: aG72DiF.jpg (186KB, 525x1216px) Image search: [Google]
aG72DiF.jpg
186KB, 525x1216px
>>49570009
>>
>>49568964

>4 fat virgins sat around and roleplayed this out with halfchubs stinking up the small hot room until it smelled like tuna melts and doritos and thought it was funny
>>
>>49570132
I'd seen the reaction image before, but not the rest of it.
>>
>>49569671
This doesn't make anyone look foolish except the writer that thought it would look like anything but an exaggerated setup.
>>
We had a recently "transitioned" friend of a player turn up to play a session

The DM is a huge sjw wannabe so he bent over backwards.

Just embarrasing to watch a grown man in a dress with desperately grown greasy hair and caked on make up prance about with the most stereotyped tranny voice you've ever heard

Jesus Christ in heaven
>>
File: 1472067185901.jpg (64KB, 441x334px) Image search: [Google]
1472067185901.jpg
64KB, 441x334px
>>49570266
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKc--3_JxTk

Did it sound like this?
>>
>>49567994
>GM should force a player to completely change his character just to pander to a single player

How about no
>>
>>49568722

...I wish my grandad played tabletop games.
>>
>>49570392
Sorry I have limited data so I cant review that video. Sounded like a dragqueen putting on a slightly higher pitched voice

Also said darling a lot
>>
>>49567983
This is clearly bait but fuck you and your group.
>>
>>49569478
You heard of the straw that broke the camel's back, right?
That could be the situation here, things piling up over the day or week until something happens and you feel like everything is shit and break down.
I know I had to take a break before after a particularly bad day at work and my character kept missing and failing in everything he did.
>>
>>49567716
>I want to play a character who keeps other people from playing the characters they want to play
Fuck people who do this. Fuck them so hard.
>>
I don't get the DND anti necromancy attitude.

"Oh no, my druid character has died. Guess all the rest of you guys are going to have to drop the adventure and carry my body (well, my gear and part of my body) back to town so the local priest can ressurrect."

or

Pile of nonliving minerals called rock gets animated. No one cares.
Pile of nonliving minerals called bone gets animated. Kill the witch!

Back in 2e the old druid's handbook said "with the POSSIBLE exception of undead" druid's think all beings have a right to exist. Now in 5e,
undead are suddenly unnatural and to be abhorred.

Whatever spirit a body had while living has gone on to afterlife and it's now a pile of decaying matter mindless and soulless. I can understand the hatred of vampires and liches and other freewilled undead but what does it matter if a mindless zombie rots in one place or another?

Unrelated thought, since you only need a small part of someone to ressurrect them, wouldn't it be funny for a necromancer just for lols to kill a PC, save a small part to have him ressurrected, and then have the PC fight his reanimated corpse?
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-29+at+09.25.37).jpg (18KB, 289x93px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-29+at+09.25.37).jpg
18KB, 289x93px
>>49570978
Pic related, see also lore of zombies, skeletons, and other undead in the Monster Manual.
They're made by binding rogue malevolent spirits to corpses, not just animating them. Animate Objects cast on a bag of bones isn't the same as making an undead out of it. If they don't command them otherwise use the spell on their minions each day to keep them under control, they will seek out things to destroy and murder.
>>
>It's a That Guy doesn't know he's a That Guy thread
>>
>>49570978
In most versions of D&D it explicitly states that necromancy binds the soul to the body and prevents it from passing on.
>>
>>49571031
Ok, sure, but this isn't some lord of death raising an undead army. This is one guy, an ally no less, animating an orc for battle fodder. Why is murder an appropriate response?
>>
>>49571176
>guy you don't know walks up to you
>raises a fucking orc from the dead
>ask him to stop because thats evil
>he doesn't
>kill him
The druid might have fucked up OOC but IC I think thats pretty reasonable
>>
>>49570102
this thread. try reading it.
>>
>>49569534
Not really how reproduction works ohana, and this sounds really gross and juvenile anyway. I hope this was in high school or middle school.
>>
>>49570959
you cant just make someone stop playing a character that they have been playing because someone new joins
>>
File: en.png (1MB, 6836x10000px) Image search: [Google]
en.png
1MB, 6836x10000px
>Player sends me his sheet
>Its a bard
>Everything checks out except for 1 detail
>Notes his character has an STD
>Ask him about it
>Awkwardly explains to me his character got it on purpose to fill his "bug spreading" fetish
>Look this up
>Turns out giving people STDs without them knowing is a legit fetish some people have
>This player most likely has it
>Can't stop thinking about how many people this guy might have given an STD to
>Decide to block him, never look back
>>
File: 1396197244881.png (159KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1396197244881.png
159KB, 403x403px
>>49571371
>>
>>49569417
because you could have stopped it if you wanted to with roleplaying or just not letting your dick friend bully someone else until they cry holy shit
>>
>>49571393
>killing an imaginary character in a game that was literally just created
>bullying to the point of tears
ok
>>
File: 1446335003862.jpg (10KB, 228x210px) Image search: [Google]
1446335003862.jpg
10KB, 228x210px
>>49570392

Jesus Christ that video. I could only listen to it for about a minute before my eyes tried to commit suicide. What's it from? What's the backstory?
>>
File: Untitled.png (32KB, 869x250px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
32KB, 869x250px
>>49571518
>>
File: menacing koichi.jpg (161KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
menacing koichi.jpg
161KB, 1440x810px
>>49567651
>have necromancer in the party
>rezes everything after we kill it
>his army is getting ridiculous, steamrolls through everything
>"i kinda trivialized your campaign huh. you mad bro?
>tell him all the gm has to do is deprive him of corpses or or any number of other things to make him useless
>he pisses off the group autist by reviving his dead character
>"he dies and rerolls a character every other session so we may as well make use for the bodies amarite?"
>finally goes too far and raises the dead in the town morgue
>gets shot to death by guards who somehow managed to afford firearms in a decaying, war-torn kingdom
>>
>>49571589

Okay, can I get a bit more context beyond that? Who is he beyond an animator?
>>
>>49569417
I have been the DM for two years now, and my players will often police each other. If one of them pulls a big fucking dumb, they will make sure shit gets smoothed over. I'm not some Noble or Authority figure in real life that requires their respect, most I can say is "In my games, think about your other players before your characters".

The adult thing, in the above instance, would have been to break up the fight between the Necromancer and the Druid, and then get something sorted the fuck out, by all accounts, on the Druid's end, with a small concession by the Necromancer for compromise sake.

God, you fucking Troglodyte, this is basic fucking courtesy.
>>
>>49571607
someone who speaks like that during an argument with his hysterical gf
>>
>>49571225
>>guy you don't know walks up to you
But op doesn't say they hadn't met before the raising. Maybe that's how it was, but it seems more likely that he joined the caravan and at least had time to introduce himself. I still say IC it's a bit much to lose your shit and murder some guy who hasn't shown you any hostility because you don't like magic.
>>
>>49568361
>who hates killers because he was taught by the ancient tribes that all life is sacred
>druid tells him to put the orc's head back on
>fighter says no

I laughed IRL
>>
File: 1475150203544.jpg (36KB, 600x564px) Image search: [Google]
1475150203544.jpg
36KB, 600x564px
> GM says: "Hey I had a great idea, lets play a Zombie Apocalypse RPG where the characters are ourselves"
> I say: "Not sure if its a cool idea"
> Actually I could say a lot of good reasons to not have your most sociopath friend describing how your life would be shit in a post-apocalypse world but before I could say anything everyone jumps in and get excited so I just play along.
> It starts, everyone starts at their own house at crisis day 1.
> Internet offline, phone service is overload, but I managed to call to my family after a good number on dice.
> GM asks OOC if my grandmother is alive. "Yes" I answer
> "Not anymore, by phone your uncle says that she has been eaten alive, and you grandfather is missing."
> Roleplay as pic related
> People on table starts to figured out how much fun this game will be to rolepay.
> GM girlfriend is playing too.
> 1 hour later he kills her mother. She was eaten alive in front of her.
> GM actually enjoy that.
> She starts crying.
> He says "Of course she died, she is obese, sedentary. How could she jumps that wall? and look at your number on the dice..."
> She cant stop crying but he dosent step back.
> "I actually was pretty generous, with this number I should have killed your two years old brother too"
>>
>>49567651

Wow, almost that exact thing happened to my group. Except instead of a 16 year old kid it was a 60 year old man.
>>
File: fellowkids.jpg (91KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
fellowkids.jpg
91KB, 900x720px
>>49568722
>he's like 61
>>
>>49571371
You should check out >>49570220
>>
>>49571671
I think the word for your friend is Autistic, not Sociopath
>>
>>49571671
jesus christ there is no way thats real
>>
>>49567683
Depends on the setting
5e states necromancers can be good in one of the playtests there was a culture that practices necromancy and were all Good aligned
>>
File: 1472779772079.jpg (169KB, 640x678px) Image search: [Google]
1472779772079.jpg
169KB, 640x678px
>>49571671
No fucking way this happened
>>
File: EC.png (229KB, 487x420px) Image search: [Google]
EC.png
229KB, 487x420px
>>49571693
What the fucking fuck
>>
>>49571693
>pozzing
fuck, fuck fuck fuck. Fuck. I would pay serious money to erase this shit from my mind. Every time I remember this unholy shit exists, it ruins my mood and reminds me that suicide is always an option. Fuck this gay Earth and everyone on it
>>
>>49571738
>>49571762
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HliGeedRFTU
>>
>>49571693
I don't think I would mind if someone told me that they dextered a guy like that.

Well probably I would never be certain that it was true, but if I did know it was true then sure.
>>
>>49569478
What you're doing is called "deflection," and you are still wrong here. It doesn't matter if he cried or sobbed or whimpered or howled. That is not the issue here, and addressing that action is completely irrelevant. The issue is some autistic morons ganged up on a 16 year old in fucking Dungeons and Dragons, being huge piles of dog shit for absolutely no reason (NO a Druid being incapable of not murdering another PARTY MEMBER is not a reason no matter what you desperately want to believe), and are trying to pass it off as "awkward." Me trying to kiss a girl in 8th grade with zero experience was awkward. OP is a straight up asswipe, no matter their place in the game.
>>
>>49571777
Nice trips, doesnt make up for me having to swallow down my own vomit though
>>
>>49571879
>The issue is some autistic morons ganged up on a 16 year old in fucking Dungeons and Dragons, being huge piles of dog shit for absolutely no reason (NO a Druid being incapable of not murdering another PARTY MEMBER is not a reason no matter what you desperately want to believe), and are trying to pass it off as "awkward."
But they didn't gang up, and what they didn't wasn't some kind of unforgivable crime. If the kid crying isn't relevant, then why the fuck is everyone bringing it up? Its pretty clearly the entire reason people are getting so upset over this; because they see themselves in that crying 16 year old.
>>
>>49571777
That shit's genuinely fascinating. He kinda got off the bugchasing midway through an already short video though.
>>
File: 1408087519896.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1408087519896.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>49569417
It's all good bro. We just want you to think about avoidable party conflicts before they happen and try to step in.

Thanks for the story and contributing to /tg/
>>
File: 1390430619557.gif (2MB, 458x334px) Image search: [Google]
1390430619557.gif
2MB, 458x334px
>>49571371

>most likely has it

You sweet, summer child.
>>
>>49571984
He comes back to it throughout the series. There's one where he shows people talking about specifically trying to spread med resistant strains. I honestly don't know how he can stand sifting through all of it to put these videos together.
>>
>>49571031
>>49571112
Thanks for the answers.

I did what I was told and found the bit in 5e about skeletons having animating hateful spirits. It's strange but there's nothing like that for zombies. I didn't find anything in my quick flip through 1e, 2e, and 3e animate dead spells, monster manual/fiend folio/monstrous compendium, but not Ravenloft, about skeletons and zombies having animating spirits so maybe this is new to 5e or I flipped too quickly.

I found that 5e says for both zombies and skeletons that the animated corpse has no vestiges of or connections to its former existence so looks like the 5e writers are taking a new approach and letting spirits move on for these lesser undead.
>>
File: UZDCLAo.gif (83KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
UZDCLAo.gif
83KB, 200x200px
>>49571387
Nurgle. You're looking for Nurgle.
>>
>>49570694
I mean even if its real, it's siblings bullying each other, it's pretty normal.
>>
>>49569562
This one got me good.
>>
>>49570396
Look, man, you've got four choices. Make one chance, make the other change, make both change, or deal with inter-party bullshit taking over your game. Best to tell the asshole who made the asshole character no.
>>
>>49570177
Online m8, like I would ever do that shit in meatspace.
>>
>>49569478
>The druid DID ask him to deanimate the zombie before killing him, which is a pretty clear signal
The problem is that the character was a fucking necromancer.
>Don't raise dead
>Ever again
>Or risk angering the druid
>Despite being a necromancer
>Whose whole spiel is raising the undead
>>
>>49569671
Necromancer doesn't look that foolish. His whole character involves the undead, not using that would be like someone rolling up a fighter and being told to never use weapons again or the party druid would kill them.
>>
>>49567651
>Playing Mage
>Life Mage, Mind Mage, Prime Mage and Death Mage for the party.
>Life Mage had taken the Resources trait
>Mind mage player laughed at the Life mage for 'wasting points'.
>First session, uses mind magic to brain-wipe some random civilian and just take all their belongings.
>GM calls for a wisdom roll on this.
>Mind mage goes into a massive tantrum over this.
>Game continues.
>Little while later in downtime Mind mage uses his power to force a civilian to sleep with him.
>GM fades to black, Mind mages player tries to go into detail about what he does.
>GM breaks him off asking for another wisdom roll.
>Cue second tantrum.
>Life mage player getting weirded out by Mind mage now. Fuck, we're all getting weirded out.
>GM : 'Dude, you used mind magic to rape someone.'
>Mind Mage : 'Mind magic isn't rape.'
>Awkward.
>Fucking.
>Silence.

Guy lost three wisdom points in his first session.
>>
>>49573025
He voluntarily selected a class that would cause inter-party conflict, it's his problem.
If he wanted to be clever about it or avoid confrontation, he should have done it in secret. Dress them up as retainers or hired thugs, and treat them like such. Cry and fuss and bury them when destroyed, maybe work with the DM to increase the staying power of 'long term' minions instead of throwaways since they need to take care in preparing them.
>>
>>49571671
What do people expect from a zombie-apoc rpg? Fucking frolicking through the tulips?
>>
>>49573064
>He voluntarily selected a class that would cause inter-party conflict, it's his problem.
No that wasn't his class, that was his tribal background.
He could've been a druid without his quirks that caused inter-party conflict.
>>
>>49573048
If you roll with your wisdom you lose attributes?
>>
>>49573158
I wasn't referring to the druid. The *necromancer* chose the conflict causing class.
Granted, necromancy spells aren't evil. Necromancy subclass isn't evil. But raising undead is, and many of the subclass features only give bonuses to that.
>>
>>49567994
first come first served nigga
>>
>>49573266
Sounds more like you're a bitch. There were a lot of ways that situation could have gone better, and because they kept playing after, it seems like they figured something out anyways.
>>
>>49573048
I don't understand this story. Which mage wound up crying, forcing the GM to retcon?
>>
>>49568585
DnD necromancy literally objectively rapes reality by channeling absolute evil, so there's that.
>>
>>49573186
Wisdom is the Mage equivalent to Humanity. The more you lose, the more you can lose and if you lose it all you become an NPC.
>>
>>49571610
>God, you fucking Troglodyte, this is basic fucking courtesy.
No, it's pandering.

>The adult thing, in the above instance, would have been to break up the fight between the Necromancer and the Druid, and then get something sorted the fuck out, by all accounts, on the Druid's end, with a small concession by the Necromancer for compromise sake.
Or you could expect the 16 year old to handle it like the adult he should be at that age.
>>
File: shhhhdoyouhearit.jpg (39KB, 534x486px) Image search: [Google]
shhhhdoyouhearit.jpg
39KB, 534x486px
>>49571671

Fuck for a second I was scared there. I'm running a zombie roleplaying game where the characters are themselves.

Thank fuck I never took things that far. Also I don't have a girlfriend so I knew it wasn't my campaign. Wew.
>>
>>49571696
Think sociopath is more likely since he landed a gf
>>
>>49573310
>Pick an edgelord bait class
>complain when you get slapped down ingame

Only one at fault, and then even slightly, is the DM for not introing the kid better.
>>
>>49573445
>pick a non edgelord class
>act like an edgelord anyway
fucking droods
>>
>>49573463
>edgelord
>killing someone objectively evil, after giving him a chance to repent
nah, that's called consequent
>>
>>49573473
>objectively
That's a funny way to spell subjectively.
>>
>>49573473
>objectively evil
Naeh

And he was a druid, not a paladin.
>>
>>49573414
>Or you could expect the druid's player to handle it like the adult he should be at that age.
FTFY.
>>
>>49573489
It's a consequence that it was inherently evil. The druid was upset that it was so viscerally unnatural and threatening to nature.
>>
>>49573514
>The druid was upset that it was so viscerally unnatural and threatening to nature.
No the druid was taught that it was bad juju
>>
File: Evil.jpg (32KB, 463x328px) Image search: [Google]
Evil.jpg
32KB, 463x328px
>>49573485
>>49573489
Can you read?
Also, upholding morality is not purely a paladin-thing.
>>49573513
You mean ingame, in-character? like he did?

Oh, wait, all you guys hate actual roleplaying because it might hurt your fee-fees.
>>
File: AnimateDead.png (24KB, 364x110px) Image search: [Google]
AnimateDead.png
24KB, 364x110px
>>49573552
>>
>>49573573
>Implying anyone plays your special snowflake shit
>>
>>49573583
>d&d
>special snowflake
>>
>>49573591
>Removing objectivist morality
>Not special snowflake
Try again, Marx
>>
>>49573552
>Also, upholding morality is not purely a paladin-thing.

Which is the greater evil - Animating Dead or murdering someone?
>>
>>49567651
At the very least everyone on the table except the kid should have turned evil for murder and complicity of murder. Paladins falling and clerics losing powers as well.
>>
>>49573606
For the Lawful Good Druid of the barbarian tribe obviously Animating Dead.
He can't wait to smite some guy who animates dead, regardless of their intentions or alignment.
>>
>>49573606
Animating Dead
Killing someone at least admits its soul to the afterlife, and does not literally channel pure evil
>>
>>49573606
Executing someone who commits a capital offense against nature isn't murder.
The thing that his skeletons would surely do eventually, with his command or negligence, IS murder. Lots of children and puppies. Ground up by skelecopters.
>>
>>49573628
>He can't wait to smite some guy [...] regardless of their intentions or alignment.
Sounds pretty evil to me.
>>
>>49573603
You're violating the NAP by replying to me. I suggest you back off kid, or you'll be arrested and tortured by the private police force I've hired as justified reliation.
>>
>>49573625
>Lawful Good Druid
>Lawful
>Murder

>>49573628
>Killing someone at least admits its soul to the afterlife, and does not literally channel pure evil
>Killing someone is better than using their corpse as a puppet after killing them.

So are you telling me if I went around murdering villages, and a Necromancer followed me summoning them as Undead to try and repair the damage I did - the greater evil would be the Necromancer?
>>
>>49573652
Meant for >>49573625
>>
>>49567651
I think that's more "I'm just trying to have fun and this asshole ruins it and if I do anything I'LL be the bad guy" crying.

Kick the druid out of the group. He is That Guy. STFU.
>>
>>49570187
It's Buttersafe. Great comic. Skeleton harvester is the best character.
>>
>>49573652
>You should not kill the guy guy who is currently pulling the skin of a live baby because his char sheet says lawful good

>>49573663
>So are you telling me if I went around murdering villages, and a Necromancer followed me summoning them as Undead to try and repair the damage I did - the greater evil would be the Necromancer?
Nah, killing can still be evil, no contesting that. But killing is not always evil, Necromancy is. Even why you try to do good with it.
>>
>>49573638
>Executing someone who commits a capital offense against nature isn't murder.
It is according to the laws of the land.

Unless you're saying that the Druids tribal laws trump the Kings Laws?
>>
>>49573681
>Necromancy is.
no
>>
>>49573681
>But killing is not always evil, Necromancy is. Even why you try to do good with it.

How do you justify Killing as a Not Evil act?
>>
>>49573691
see
>>49573552

If you want mindless servants, build a clokwork golem, you edgy fuck.

>>49573704
Self defense, for example.
>>
>>49573681
>You should kill the guy using what resources he has at his disposal to fight for good, even when his character sheet and actions up until this point say good
>>
>>49573710
See >>49573573
>>
>>49573322
Negative energy is neutral, not evil. Same with positive energy, it's neutral, not good.
>>
>>49573552
Descriptors only determine how it interacts with other magic. Otherwise casting Holy Word in a room full of toddlers would be a good act.
>>
>>49567651
The kid wasn't in the wrong. You guys are dicks.
>>
>>49573710
>Self defense, for example.
>Murdering in self defense
>Not evil.

Manslaughter in self defense I could accept, as it implies it's at least a result of ignorance or accident.

But murder is a premeditated choice.

Murder is an evil act.
>>
>>49573612
This
>as you stand idly watching the druid maul an innocent to death, you (the paladin) and you (the cleric) feel your divine aura waning.
>what do you do ?
>>
>>49573739
>Otherwise casting Holy Word in a room full of toddlers would be a good act.

What if the toddlers were goblins?
>>
>>49573765
They were already killing orcs, so why weren't they already evil?
>>
>>49573779
I would've specified that if that was the case.
>>
File: 1471463503852.jpg (37KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1471463503852.jpg
37KB, 500x281px
>Another thread where people refuse to acknowledge that undead in D&D are inherently evil just to be contrarian and clever
>>
>actually arguing alignment
Holy shit, I thought you guys were smarter than this. That shit doesn't matter, there are millions of different interpretations of that shit, most of which are valid. Acting in such a way as to ruin you fellow players' experience is never acceptable, and you're That Guy if you disagree. Is it really so harmful to your immersion to just not fuck over other people, even if it is a little "OOC? " It's also on the players to not make characters that screw their friends over at the drop of a hat. Man, you guys' groups must be dysfunction as fuck.
>>
>>49573780

Just spitballing here but:

1. Because the orcs aren't human.
2. Because it wasn't murder, it was manslaughter/orcslaughter in self defense.

Now, if they had gone out of their way to murder an orc tribe that wasn't bothering anyone - that's a different story.
>>
>>49573723
Explain that to the paladin who is carving his holy symbol in your forehead.

Paladins are experts in what's evil and what's good. They know, because their deity gives them the ability to discern it, and the Clerics educate them. They're not interested in wizardly philosophizing about "energy" or the Outer Planes.
>>
>>49573811
>undead in D&D are inherently evil

Isn't D&D just a system without an inherent setting to it?

>>49573801
Would you have specified that using Holy Word in a room full of toddlers is HILARIOUS?
>>
>>49573833
> They know, because their deity gives them the ability to discern it, and the Clerics educate them.

Huh, so it a Paladin's view of Good and Evil dependent entirely on the views of their god?

Could two Paladins of two different gods both ping the same event as both good and evil respectively?
>>
>>49573866
>Isn't D&D just a system without an inherent setting to it?
Depends on what edition, but it both is and isn't. The very existence of alignment and a set of monsters implies a world. Particularly when certain spells or items are inherently good or evil.
>>
File: 442.jpg (227KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
442.jpg
227KB, 680x1020px
>>49573866
It has multiple settings, but there's always a default. In 5e, that's Forgotten Realms, where >>49571031 is taken from. That's the only meter for discussion, unless OP was running a homebrew game which specifically did not have undead as evil beings. Coincidentally, that little tidbit is the *only* thing that differentiates 'evil' spells in 5e. Even the most wretched of curses or powerful mind affection is not inherently evil, since it could be used as a weapon against evil. While the same could almost be said for raising undead, any undead neglected by their creators will go about wreaking havoc. The process involves summoning pure evil spirits. They made that explicitly clear when discussing it just to avoid these stupid discussions of 'well ackshually, your good character needs to check their privilege because I use my reanimated corpses to feed the poor and fight demons...'
>>
>>49573934
>Even the most wretched of curses or powerful mind affection is not inherently evil, since it could be used as a weapon against evil.
>any undead neglected by their creators will go about wreaking havoc

So...
>Because Undead will default to evil when left out of control, it's an evil act.

So does that mean it's evil to not kill any evil monsters when the opportunity presents itself?
>>
>>49573994
If you have the power to destroy something evil with no consequence and you merely stand by and let it run its course for no reason, you are an accomplice to it.

If you actively seek to use your power to create such instances, you're not just an accomplice but entirely responsible for it.
>>
>>49574041
>If you have the power to destroy something evil with no consequence and you merely stand by and let it run its course for no reason, you are an accomplice to it.

So are you then complicity evil if you do not kill every evil character you come across?
>>
>>49574063
There are more factors than that. If you are able to do so with no effort, yes. A level 20 paladin who has grown complacent and could end a bandit with a single flick of his blade is responsible if he laughs by and the bandit kills 5 innocents before some newbie ends him.

The risk of self-destruction makes wary clearance of evil actions that are more powerful than you neutral.

But stop moving the goalposts to be "If evil is nearby and you go out of your way to do nothing..." when the issue at hand is "When nothing is at hand and you go out of your way to do evil..."

Besides, if doing nothing when evil is happening nearby is itself an evil act, good job that the druid did something when evil was nearby.
>>
>>49568897
>killing someone for "muh virtue's" isn't exactly a good or lawful thing to do

The fuck are you on about. Thats literally every paladin ever.
>>
>>49574108
>But stop moving the goalposts

You've spent too long on 4chan. You've forgotten the notion that discussions can grow and evolve. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm actually genuinely interested in your opinion and stance on different ideas.

But going back to the Necromancer/Druid situation - would everyone else in the party therefore be evil because they didn't take any actions against the raising of the undead or the necromancer?

And if that is the case, should the druid be compelled to treat the rest of his party as evil?
>>
>>49574192
Note that these aren't really my views on morality in real life, just my interpretation of D&D's alignment system which inherently has an objective morality.

The party's other members might have taken action against the necromancer given time, or not.
Perhaps they thought that they could legitimately use these things as allies, leaving them as a misinformed good, especially if misled by "Don't worry guys I've totally got them under control working for the greater good!" necromancer.
Perhaps they decided that they were glad to have the power on their side and embraced it, which would be neutral or evil depending on how much they knew about necromancy and what they intended to use this additional power for.
Perhaps the druid would be pressed to reconsider his alliances if his entire company seemed alright with something against his personal code and taboos.

And, while we could give the druid flak for sentencing death for refusing to stop employing 'bad juju' if it was just any old arcane magic, he was employing the only inherently evil kind by the measure of the divine forces that make up the D&D world.
>>
>>49574240
>And, while we could give the druid flak for sentencing death for refusing to stop employing 'bad juju' if it was just any old arcane magic, he was employing the only inherently evil kind by the measure of the divine forces that make up the D&D world.

And why does that then excuse murder - another objectively evil act?

Surely it would have satisfied his alignment to have destroyed the undead and subdued the necromancer? If the Druid player was going full 'Suffer Not The Witch', then that player is arguably more at fault for the conflict than the Necromancer - especially given we're dealing with an experienced player having conflict with a new player.

At the end of the day, it sounds like the Druid was a dick. GM should have done more to help the new player integrate or to have avoided the situation in the first place, but the Druid is a dick.
>>
>>49573879
>Could two Paladins of two different gods both ping the same event as both good and evil respectively?

Hmm...maybe? In the end, Paladins of an Evil God could still use detect evil and ping good and evil as their respective alignments. I'd assume that Evil characters would just treat 'Evil' on their ping as 'Good', if you follow my meaning.

Hmm...would Detect Evil work to detect a Good Aligned character who was working for a Good but opposing God? If two Good Gods went to war with each other and their paladins fought it out, would Detect Evil be able to discover enemy paladins who were planning on doing evil things to them?
>>
>>49567651
Aaaaaaaaaaand that's why I only play video games now.
>>
>>49574274
The druid attempted to subdue the necromancer. He tried negotiating, but the necromancer refused. Trying to incapacitate him would have likely been more dangerous for the party, and risk his escape to do more harm. Technically, execution is a valid good approach to ending someone evil. Not as good as getting everyone to be happy and prance through flowers, but paladins don't get to make their swords sear with evil burning light to carefully convince people of ethics.

But yes, even though allegedly the GM and party did warn him, the GM should have expressly forbidden the behavior of the druid when that character was made if the norm for the party was 'questionable morality' or forbidden the necromancer if it was 'generally benevolent' if nothing else due to the existing circumstance of the druid.
>>
>>49574315
>The druid attempted to subdue the necromancer

>Druid tells Necromancer to destroy his undead
>Necromancer says no
>Druid kills Necromancer

If the Druid player wasn't looking to just be a cunt, he would have stopped at just killing the Undead and taken the situation from there.

That neither the GM nor other players intervened is pretty damning.

My bet is the Druid is the That Guy of the group. Who goes into PvP with a brand new player in their first session?
>>
>>49574314
Thats retarded
>>
>>49574240
>Note that these aren't really my views on morality in real life, just my interpretation of D&D's alignment system which inherently has an objective morality.

Fucking Objective Morality.

It's always the issue. Fucking always.
>>
>>49574367
We're talking about a game wherein good and evil are tangible elements of the multiverse.
There's a plane of paradise that has raw goodness all in the air. Shit isn't made of electrons, it's benevelons. According to the laws of that universe, some things are good and others evil. More or less they tend to align with the general consensus for things that society thinks are beneficial or criminal.

While using your spells to do good things is good, and using them to do evil things is evil, the spell Animate Dead works specifically by letting malevolent spirits made of evilium into the material plane via a hole you make in the fabric of spacetime. Even if you puppet them into doing good things, you're letting evil leak into the world and creating the possibility of them flying off the hook and committing evil acts. Like puppycide.
>>
>>49574405

And Objective Morality is always the problem. Who decides what is good and what is evil? Some random Objective Viewpoint, and if you disagree with it you're evil.

The problem here is that morality is just not objective. Building a setting that runs on Objective Morality is retarded because of that. But this isn't a new opinion.
>>
>>49574405
> Even if you puppet them into doing good things, you're letting evil leak into the world and creating the possibility of them flying off the hook and committing evil acts.
>Even if a Chaotic Evil character spends their entire life doing good deeds to try and repair the damage they've done, they will always be Chaotic Evil.
>>
This thread entirely missed the point. Who was what class and who did what isn't even the point.

The point is that a 16 year old kid came into something, made a character that was directly against an existing one, and expected it to roll well.

And then it didn't and he got his shit slapped for it.

Nothing more or less. Good, evil, necro, druid, none of that shit matters. He was warned by literally everyone it sounds like, so he got what was coming to him when he did exactly what he was warned not to do.

Regardless of anything else, this is the state of affairs. If you are defending the kid solely because he broke down and cried, perhaps you should reevaluate your position.
>>
>>49574494
Alignment is descriptive, not prescriptive. If an evil character has a change of heart and does good deeds and becomes a good person and shifts the balance enough, they become good.
But committing evil deeds thinking they're good doesn't help.
>>
>>49574510
>Regardless of anything else, this is the state of affairs. If you are defending the kid solely because he broke down and cried, perhaps you should reevaluate your position.

I'm defending the kid because the GM should have known better.

From the sounds of it, this was a kids first game and more experienced players and the GM didn't explain the situation to him or just flat out VETO the kid rolling a Necromancer character.

You don't bring a kid who doesn't know better to a game and then act like a cunt when he doesn't know better.

You teach him properly.
>>
>>49574537
But thats just it. He was warned about this. From what OP said, he was explicitly told his character would clash with someone elses.

Could it have been handled better? most certainly. But the kid himself is not faultless and acting like he was is just asinine.
>>
>>49574524
Alright, so going back to the Plain of Elemental Evil. Everything in this plain is evil. They breath evilly. They shit evilly. The chase the ice-cream truck and buy ice-cream for their kids evilly.

If this Evil Elemental came to the material plane, regardless of their purpose there, them being there is evil.

Doesn't matter if they summon and trap him to build schools, fix the economy, organise a series of treaties to establish lasting world peace, cure cancer. It doesn't matter if this evil elemental was forced to single handedly remove all evil from the setting forever.

Summoning him was an evil thing.
>>
>>49574553
>From what OP said, he was explicitly told his character would clash with someone elses.

Then the GM should have vetoed the character, or the summoning of the undead in the first place.

The GM and the old players are at fault for being shitty towards a new player and acting like cunts rather than helping him get settled into the group.
>>
>>49567651
>Why would you let a character into your group that you knew one of your other characters would have a massive issue with?.

>Why do you allow issues between characters in the same party to be resolved via combat rather than through roleplaying?

>Why don't you have a group template ?

No wonder the kid was upset. Shit tier Dming and bad play by the druid.
>>
>>49574575
>GM should have vetoed the character

what so the kid could ball like a bitch and we would be sitting here arguing whether the DM should have allowed it or not?

This was a no win situation for the group.
>>
>>49574559
Others would prey on the world before it could be accomplished. You can't just cut off one of the major components of existence, and it would come to bite you eventually.
>>
>>49574589
>what so the kid could ball like a bitch and we would be sitting here arguing whether the DM should have allowed it or not?

Doesn't matter. Bitching that 'BUT SOMETHING ELSE WOULD HAVE GONE WRONG' is not an excuse to not do the right thing in the first place.
>>
>>49574590
>You can't just cut off one of the major components of existence, and it would come to bite you eventually.
>YEAH, BUT THEY COULDN'T DO THAT

What if they could? What if an elemental of pure evil completely removed evil from the setting. This is roleplaying anon, there's no reason it can't be done. And the last thing the evil elemental could have done would be to banish itself and seal the link between their realm and the material realm.

But still, summoning that evil elemental even to do the most Objectively Good things, indeed to be the greatest Objective Good in the setting, would still be an evil act.
>>
>>49571323
Yes but situations like this should be approached as an opportunity for players to roleplay dynamic characters who can change. A stubborn ass who says "I hate all arcane practitioners so I'll kill you if you cast arcane" is being an asshat and as a DM I tell those players to suck a dick and rp some character growth.
>>
>>49574633
>A stubborn ass who says "I hate all arcane practitioners so I'll kill you if you cast arcane" is being an asshat and as a DM I tell those players to suck a dick and rp some character growth
>muhnigga.png
>>
>>49574604
Let me ask you something. Do you expect a group to give you these courtesy's when you've just walked in on a completely new group??

To allow you to play whatever? To change other people's shit? Would you throw a shitfit if the DM vetoe'd your character? Would you throw a shitfit when someone else roleplays their character properly, if harshly?

i certainly hope not.
>>
>>49574633
>"I hate all arcane practitioners so I'll kill you if you cast arcane" is being an asshat and as a DM I tell those players to suck a dick and rp some character growth.
>"B-b-but it's w-wut muh character would do..."
>>
>>49574653
>To allow you to play whatever?
What? No. That's retarded. It's up to the GM to decide whether the character would fit in with the group.

GM in OP post didn't do that. GM fucked up.

>To change other people's shit?
If the GM thought they could fix my character and said 'Hey, you could play X but you'd have to Y' - then yes, that's fine. If they can play something but only under certain circumstances (like, hey - you can play a necromancer but you can't use Animate Dead), then that can work.

The GM didn't do that.

>Would you throw a shitfit if the DM vetoe'd your character?
No. I'd ask why and then try to make a new character with the group so that we could make a character that was both fun for me to play and would fit with the group.

The older players and the GM didn't do that.

>Would you throw a shitfit when someone else roleplays their character properly, if harshly?

I'd be upset if I was invited to a game, my character was okayed to play, the GM or the group didn't veto my character or my spell choices, but the moment I did something that the That Guy of the group didn't agree with and decided to kill my character for while the other players did nothing to stop him or intervene.

Yeah. I'd be shitty.

Because that is clearly a shitty group.
>>
>>49568915
To be fair being such a hypocritical asshole is totally natural in such settings.
>>
>>49567798
>Nature boy
Playing Ric Flair the druid now, thanks Anon
>>
>>49574708
>AWHOOOO

I find this totally acceptable.
>>
>>49574682
>to play whatever
Admittedly yes. He should have pushed harder for the kid to play something else

>to change other people's shit
I meant forcing the druid to change his character that had otherwise been fine till this point.

>dm veto

They did warn the kid. If the kid couldn't take the hints, he got what was coming to him.

>character roleplay

The kid should be glad no one was playing a paladin, because if that were the case we wouldn't be having this conversation. Because that is literal paladin MO. But when the druid tries it he's an asshole?

Sorry, but fuck that noise. The kid was warned. He didn't take the warning. He was smited, druid style.

And again, i'm not saying the GM and the druid didn't fuck up. I'm just saying the kid isn't faultless for ignoring everyone's warnings.
>>
>>49574740
>I meant forcing the druid to change his character that had otherwise been fine till this point.

How many other PC's had the character killed? If it was anything more than one, why was the GM allowing a new player to make an arcane caster character?

>They did warn the kid. If the kid couldn't take the hints, he got what was coming to him.

This is why you're a shitty GM. And from the sounds of things, the kid WASN'T warned. People keep saying this, but I'm not reading it anywhere here. This isn't a matter of hinting - this is a matter of party cohesion. You don't let a player build and play a character for his first session that deliberately goes against the cohesion of the group. That's the purview of shitty GMs.

>The kid should be glad no one was playing a paladin, because if that were the case we wouldn't be having this conversation. Because that is literal paladin MO. But when the druid tries it he's an asshole?

If someone was playing a Paladin WHY THE FUCK WOULD THE GM ALLOW A PLAYER TO PLAY A NECROMANCER.

>And again, i'm not saying the GM and the druid didn't fuck up. I'm just saying the kid isn't faultless for ignoring everyone's warnings.

The kid was a new player that the group treated like shit. It's amazing the kid stayed with the group after that fuck-noise.

You understand that when it comes to the GM, you don't drop warnings and subtle hints when it comes to making sure the group works together, right?

Are you seriously the sort of shit who would allow shit like 'Oh yeah, you can totally play a serial killing cannibal who murders his friends and eats them in this comedy themed game - but just you be careful unless someone calls the cops!'.

You fuckwit.
>>
>>49574740
>Sorry, but fuck that noise. The kid was warned. He didn't take the warning. He was smited, druid style.

>Hey guys, can I play a necromancer?
>Sure
>I cast animate dead
>KILL HIM

Yeah, sure was warned and had it coming.
I hope you're one of those anons that doesn't actually play games with other people.
>>
>>49574796
I'm mostly playing devils advocate, so half of this is me bullshitting anyways.

But if the kid seriously wasn't smart enough to realize that raising the dead, an act almost universally regarded as evil across all genre's and mediums, in front of people wouldn't have negative repercussions, the kids a nitwit.

Especially in front of that arcane magic wary druid thats lawful good. Like, party cohesion and shit is great. The GM should have tried more to get the kid to play something else. But at the same time the kids retarded for thinking this would work in any capacity.
>>
>>49574835
>But if the kid seriously wasn't smart enough to realize that raising the dead, an act almost universally regarded as evil across all genre's and mediums, in front of people wouldn't have negative repercussions, the kids a nitwit.

It's called roleplaying.

Also:

>an act almost universally regarded as evil across all genre's and mediums,

Conjecture, at best.

At the end of the day, OP and the group were at fault for not helping a new player figure out what was the right/wrong thing to do and decided that the best solution was PvP combat rather than roleplaying.

GM, OP and the experienced members of the group confirmed for shits.

Druid confirmed for That Guy.
>>
>>49574880
you keep acting as if i say otherwise. I have said repeatedly that the GM and the druid should have handled shit differently.

But the kid himself was also at fault for not understanding one of the most prevalent tropes in current history. With zombie culture being so fucking popular that everyone and their mom knows what a zombie is and what it does, there is no way this kid could viably think that just raising a corpse from the dead in broad daylight in front of everyone was even remotely a good idea.
>>
>>49574947
>With zombie culture being so fucking popular that everyone and their mom knows what a zombie is and what it does, there is no way this kid could viably think that just raising a corpse from the dead in broad daylight in front of everyone was even remotely a good idea.
>Dis nigga can't think of any books, shows, movies or games where a zombie has been the good guy.

>But the kid himself was also at fault for not understanding one of the most prevalent tropes in current history.

The kid wasn't at fault for thinking that a creature bound to his will would only be as good or bad as the person who summoned it.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions to push the notion that the kid was somehow at fault for the failings of the group and the GM.

Were you in the group?
>>
>>49568361
Great job anon, now the whole office looks at me as if i'm even more insane because of laughing.
>>
>>49574971
Were you?

If not your conjecture is equally as worthless as mine.
>>
>>49575015
>If not your conjecture is equally as worthless as mine.

Mine isn't conjecture. We've only got the OP's post to go by, and none of that says anything about the kid being warned at any stage, or of the GM or group doing anything to prevent the situation.
>>
>>49574971
Fucking this.

I'm so tired of seeing stories on /tg/ of cunts patting each other on the back for basically bullying new players for being new.

Its like the grognards fucking want the hobby to stagnate and die.
>>
>>49575031
Lets be fucking honest here, if you know what necromancy is, you know its not a good thing. It is never portrayed as a good thing. in the rare cases it is, the one raising the dead or the one raised are both extremely misunderstood, in the same vein as Frankensteins monster.

This kid willingly went in doing something he understood was misunderstood at best. He specifically chose the most edgy thing in the wizard library to specialize in. The kid fucking knew what he was doing.

And this is why i'm saying the kid was retarded. To actually specialize this specifically when you are new to the game, you need to fucking know what it is before having entered the game.

The only alternative is the kid was persuaded to be a necromancer and was then hazed, and that is the only situation where i will admit the kid is not at some degree of fault.
>>
>>49574835
The druid turns into a bear and mauls innocents in the open and nobody bats an eye.

Clearly the morals of the world are going down the shitter anyway.
>>
>>49574947
Lad, necromancers in pop culture aren't systematically evil since before Diablo.
>>
>>49575097
>Lets be fucking honest here, if you know what necromancy is, you know its not a good thing. It is never portrayed as a good thing.
Aragorn is evil now ?
>>
>>49575097
>Necromancy is never good.
I've heard of settings where it is treated as grey to good.
>The kid knew what he was doing
Not according to you, you stated he was ignorant of "all undead always being evil always"
>Necromancy is unique to D&D
Nope.
>Some degree of fault.
No, he was new and the experience players should have calmly explained the issue, not straight up resorted to passive aggressive "its what my character would do" bullshit to punish the player.
Fuck that noise, we aren't children.
And if he shouldn't have been a Necromancer at all, the fucking DM should have talked to him long before he got the character to the table.
>>
>>49575097
>every game is muh D&D
>all games of muh D&D have the same stupid alignment bullshit
>muh alignment bullshit justifies anything on any occasion provided it's being done by a "good" character
>>
>>49575097
The point is moot, since That Guy killed him for using arcane magic. Had he been a normal wizard it would have been the same.
>>
>yfw the 16yo is more mature than the druid
>>
>>49575183
>bawling like a bitch over a fictitious being thats existed for a handful of minutes is mature

The druids a dick, but come on.
>>
File: DC_-_Sorceress.png (1MB, 1135x1335px) Image search: [Google]
DC_-_Sorceress.png
1MB, 1135x1335px
>>49575097
>Lets be fucking honest here, if you know what necromancy is, you know its not a good thing. It is never portrayed as a good thing. in the rare cases it is, the one raising the dead or the one raised are both extremely misunderstood, in the same vein as Frankensteins monster.
Nah. Your limited exposure to stuff is no one's problem but yours.
>>
>>49575190
Being a litteral kindergarden bully is less mature than expressing his feelings.
>>
>>49575097
>if you know what necromancy is, you know its not a good thing

>The Eldar are evil for summoning their spirits into wraithlords.
>The Tomb Kings are evil because they are undead.
>All Death Mages from Mage: The Awakening must be evil dark lord.
>Stubbs the Zombie didn't really want love.
>The Crow was a monster!
>That Skeleton Private Eye whose name I can't remember at the moment? Fucking devil spawn, obviously.
>YOU DARE SUMMON THE UNDEAD IN SKYRIM? BETTER ARREST YOU
>Wait, Jesus was dead for three days and god resurrected him? CHAOTIC EVIL, CLEARLY.
>SKULLDUGGERY PLEASANT, THAT WAS HIS FUCKING NAME.
>Harry Dresden must be evil, because he summoned a ZOMBIE T-REX.
>Hades, summoning the undead? Nope. Must be a bad guy.
>Enoch O'Connor, yep, bad guy again.

Y'all need to educate yourself.
>>
>>49575190
Being upset by a group of older strangers acting passive aggressive on your first time ever playing D&D, when he was probably at least a little bit socially awkward. Yeah you cunt, I can see how that would be distressing.
>>
>>49569623
Oh, oh, let my try!

>playing in usual group
>new kid joins
>he's like 16
>rolls a character
>party plays the game
>another character decides to do stuff
>in front another character
>who hates when someone does stuff because he was taught that doing stuff is wrong
>he tells him to stop doing stuff
>the character say no
>the character atacks and kills the character
>the character player IRL starts crying
>the people that are playing with those characters fall silent
>the third character: "Uhhhh, maybe we should take a pause"
>we end up bringing up character back, retconning the whole thing so he stops crying on the floor
>everybody walk the dinosaur
>>
>>49574314
That and you have no friends.
>>
>>49575190
>hork hork hork I let the newbie make a caster, watch me kill his character first session
Mature as shit lad.
>>
>>49575230
>BOOM BOOM
>SHAKALAKALAKA
>BOOM
>>
>>49568292
This reminds me a bit my campaign.
> Hey Anon, can you do a campaign where we are the good people?
> –make them start in a tavern after a weird space travel
> This guy is drunk, since I'm a ninja I'll roll to steal their gold.
> Uhm, okaay, what is your result?
> Two
> Even if the guy is drunk, he manages to discover that you are trying to steal his gold. He calls you a thief and insults you. The barkeep tells your group that he won't call the guards, however you have to leave his tavern
> –they leave the tavern
> This fucker, how dares he insult me? I'm a druid and I've got my pride, I roll to burn the whole tavern.
>>
I can't help but picture the druid player as a neckbearded fatass with a fedora and a wolf shirt.
>>
>>49569623
>>>playing in usual group
>>>new kid joins
>>>he's like 16
>>>rolls a Fighter
>>>party comes across a bunch of orcs
>>>Fighter decides to use his sword
>>>in front of our druid
>>>who hates physical combat because he was taught killing people with iron weapon is wrong.
>>>druid tells him to stop raping the elf
>>>Fighter says no
>>>druid attacks and kills him
>>>Fighter IRL start's crying
>>>whole table is silent while he sobs for like 4 minutes straight
>>>DM: "Uhhh maybe we should take a break"
>>>we end up bringing his character back, retconning the whole thing so he stops crying
>>>he kills with iron weapons again
>>
>>49575264
I cant believe there are still people who wear those unrionically.
>>
>>49568722
I wish more old people played d&d, they know a lot of funny shit and don't give a fuck about nothin'
>>
>>49570392
Dear god she sounds crazy
The angry smurf is definitely weird but that girl is bringing back some weird memories of arguments with my crazy ex.
>>
>>49567651
Fuck your Druid sounds autistic.
>>
>>49568964
>1 use for 5cp
>few GP
I don't think you really understand basic maths here.
Like, at all.
>>
File: 1329633677752.png (140KB, 345x455px) Image search: [Google]
1329633677752.png
140KB, 345x455px
>>49571879
Morons did not gang up on a 16 year old. One guy at the table did so right off the bat you're already wrong. Do I think the Druid was hasty? Yes, I generally think that the player's happiness is more important than their character's quirks. But It's not like the Druid was picking on this kid. The OP does not mention at all that the kid was or appeared to be having a rough time. You and others in this thread have jumped to conclusions and assumed that the table was comprised of a circle jerk of bullies. The Druid went too far obviously, we all do at times outside of gaming, nowhere in OP's tale do I see anything hinting that the Druid had it out for this kid.

They obviously felt bad enough about it that they rolled back and let the kid have his character back. You're all taking your anger out on OP like he should have KNOWN that this kid was having a rough time/cared too much for his character even though it seems like no one, not even the GM or the Druid knew the guy would respond like this. It is no one else's job to handle a situation like this but the GM's. But regardless it doesn't even seem like the GM wanted to intervene since no one (not even those directly involved) was protesting the PVP.

A lot of those condemning OP and the other's in the table have assumed too much and said too much. Stop trying to see yourselves in this kid to the point that you antagonize OP. Hindsight really is 20/20 especially when you're a dick about it.
>>
>>49575538
>Morons did not gang up on a 16 year old. One guy at the table did so right off the bat you're already wrong.

One guy picked on the kid, the others did nothing to stop or intervene. That's guilt by association.

>The OP does not mention at all that the kid was or appeared to be having a rough time.

The OP flat out said the kid burst out in tears.

>They obviously felt bad enough about it that they rolled back and let the kid have his character back.

Yeah, that's why the OP started a thread about 'AWKWARD MOMENTS IN GAMING' sure sounds like they felt bad.

Sounds like you're OP trying to defend some assholish behavior.
>>
>>49575538
>One guy did it
But no one else at the table stopped him.
They all just let that happen rather than talking it out like fucking adults.
>You all assumed too much
The DM should never have allowed the character.
The players should never have allowed the autismal druid to attack the newbie.
It should have been talked out like rational adults, not devolved into passive agressive bullshit.

If you can't see this, you have a lot of growing up to do.
>>
>>49567651
This is totally on the druid, what a terrible character to make
>>
>>49574314
why are you on /tg/ then
>>
>>49575097
Kelemvor, god of death on Forgotten Realms provides necromancy spells and it's a neutral power, so... Yeah, inherentely evil
>>
>>49575560
Again the Druid was not even picking on this kid, both of them were roleplaying and the Druid wen too far, it's not as if the druid had been shitting on this kid all night or teasing him you assume too much. We don't see anything vindictive from the Druid either before or after the crying. Again you're assuming too much and treating the person playing the druid like he's a bully.

Guilt by association is widely considered a fallacy because it is literally known for assuming without evidence. As I said based off of what OP wrote, no one had any clue that the kid was having a rough time or was going to burst into tears, no one (not even the druid or the necromancer) objected to PvP. On a practical level I'm almost entirely against PvP as it brings conflict, but obviously no one at the table objected to it. So yes while I do think the GM should have tried to mediate the problem and not allow PvP to even happen, he did not seem to let it happen because he hated the kid or had a boner for the Druid. We can all say PvP in general is bad, but guilt by association only applies if you KNOW a problem is occuring, if you KNOW that this kid is reaching his limit.

GM probably should have tried to mediate the issue and talked to both players. The main feeling I get from this isn't that the Druid was trying to pick on the kid, but that he was to enthusiastic about playing his character and wasn't being considerate towards others. GM should have talked to him and asked him to bring that energy down or maybe develop his character to view nercomancy as "generally evil, but can be used for good".

>The OP flat out said the kid burst out in tears.
You misunderstand me, I'm not saying that the kid did not cry. I'm saying that it doesn't appear that anyone at the table had any idea that the kid might cry, or that he was having a rough time and that the game was making it worse. It's not like after the kid cried the Druid walked over and slapped him for crying.
>>
>>49575674
>Its OK to be an asshole if its what my character would do
The cunts should have talked, not resorted to this shit.
>The DM probably should have mediated
Try definitely should have.
>>
File: 1329780480763.gif (1MB, 200x113px) Image search: [Google]
1329780480763.gif
1MB, 200x113px
>>49575560
He called it AWKWARD because it is. We've all seen someone get pissed if their character dies, but I at lease have never heard of someone crying because of it. Calling it awkward does not mean he is calling the kid awkward, but the situation itself at least for me could be considered awkward.

If they were really dicks like all you guys seem to think why would they even bother to rollback his character? It's easy to go too far in games, the same way it's easy to go too far irl but they obviously tried to make amends if they rolled back and let him continue playing.
>>49575575
>>49575695
I've never said once in this thread that OP should have done nothing, we all see what happened when he did, and it was obviously a mistake. He did step up after the kid cried and rolled back the game for him which was a good step in the right direction. Again not forseeing a problem is bad, but it's not the same as being a bystander to a bully. I would imagine many of the players were new if they were not as against PvP as they should have been. This is a case of ignorance not bystander syndrome.

At the very least, the game has been rolled back so the kid can still enjoy the game, after seeing the kid cry I don't imagine the Druid would fight him again, he probably knows he crossed a line.

And no I'm not OP, if I was it would me much easier to reveal unheard of facts in this case if I was, then argue points.
>>
>>49575695
>The cunts should have talked, not resorted to this shit.
Yeah, obviously.
>>
>>49575674
>Again you're assuming too much and treating the person playing the druid like he's a bully.

If you're in a boxing match and you go to far and break the guys limbs intentionally, you're being a bully - at best.

The guy went to far. It doesn't matter what his intentions are, he bullied the kid. Fuck man, look up the definition of bullying. The guy used force (in this case in-game force) to get his way.

> but guilt by association only applies if you KNOW a problem is occuring, if you KNOW that this kid is reaching his limit.

Not knowing that you're committing a crime is not a defense against committing a crime. Not knowing you're being a shit GM is not a defense against being a shit GM. Not knowing you're being complicit in the unfair treatment of a new player is not a defense against being complicit in the unfair treatment of a new player.

> The main feeling I get from this isn't that the Druid was trying to pick on the kid, but that he was to enthusiastic about playing his character and wasn't being considerate towards others.

The issue isn't that he was picking on the kid, it's that he was being a shit to a new player.

> I'm saying that it doesn't appear that anyone at the table had any idea that the kid might cry, or that he was having a rough time and that the game was making it worse.

So your defense for the behavior of the group is that they are so out of touch as to not understand that a player might be attached to a character? That they are so wrapped up in their own issues they didn't understand the simple notion that a new player probably didn't understand some elements of the game or the group dynamic?
>>
>>49575744
>I've never said once in this thread that OP should have done nothing,
Meant to say GM here.
>>
>>49575744
>If they were really dicks like all you guys seem to think why would they even bother to rollback his character?

Because a 16 year old kid is crying whilst with a group of what we assume are adults or at least people who are old enough to know better? Because it's easier to say 'Okay, fine, it didn't happen' than 'Sorry, we went too far'?

Read what he wrote.

I don't see him saying 'we apologized for going too far'. OP makes it sound like they did it because it was the easiest solution to the problem of a crying kid. Doubly so because, again, OP was describing this as an awkward situation rather than a 'times your group went too far'.
>>
>>49575787
This.

I really can't see how there are folks who don't get it. Are there genuinely this many autismal fucks in the hobby? Have I been largely lucky to only run into a very few of them in reality...?
>>
>>49575037
They do. They don't want the hobby to exist, they want to be part of the same group of five people who've been playing the same game since Duck and Cover was a thing, and fuck the world for thinking they could join in.
>>
>>49575760
And once again someone in the thread is being too judgemental. Show me one time, one time in this entire scenario based off what we know that shows anyone at the table was messing with the kid, was trying to make him cry or make him quit. A druid went too far and made a kid cry, everyone in this thread knows that. Nowhere are we given any thought that he hated this kid, just that he was being inconsiderate and hasty when he should have been more willing to talk things out.

Boxing is real life, this is a game that is made from dice and imagination. He did not get out of his chair and beat on the kid, obviously no one expected this to happen.

And on average not knowing what you were doing was illegal is a defense for commiting the crime. You'll still be punished for it, just usually not as much. Comparing this to a criminal case isn't going to make it one, its a civil issue in which one guy went too far.

>>49575787
>OP makes it sound like they did it because it was the easiest solution to the problem of a crying kid.
OP has posted some more in the thread and appeared apologetic so I think he just wrote that part wrong.

Many of the responses to me in this thread have acted like I condone what happened. I can assure you I do have sympathy for the kid and I wish him luck in future endeavors. But I'm not willing to be as blatantly biased as others in this thread and not try to view this issue from both sides. I do not condone bullying and never will, I just don't see this as bullying.

I see this as a player going too far roleplaying as his character and killing another player's character (I am against this), all without GM intervention which should have been there. I am not willing to treat the players involved like common bullies just because something happened by accident. I will not defend the druid on the matter of killing the necromancer. He was hasty and inconsiderate, but I do not think he intentionally had it out for the kid, he wasn't thinking.
>>
>>49575876
Why are you some damn invested in this?

Formfucks sakex are you damaged? The group should have talked this out and corrected the newbie, not resorted to in game murder because "its what my character would do "

It's all on the group for fucks sake, they should have known better.
>>
File: pure edge.jpg (127KB, 528x292px) Image search: [Google]
pure edge.jpg
127KB, 528x292px
>>49573131
I think you may be autistic if you can't figure out why this disturbed the players more than generic zombie games would
>>
>>49575876
>we know that shows anyone at the table was messing with the kid, was trying to make him cry or make him quit.

Your intentions don't define bullying, dude-bro. Just your actions.

>And on average not knowing what you were doing was illegal is a defense for commiting the crime.

No, it's not.

>OP has posted some more in the thread and appeared apologetic so I think he just wrote that part wrong.

Funny that he appears apologetic AFTER the general tone of the thread was against the scenario.

> I do not condone bullying and never will, I just don't see this as bullying.

You've admitted to playing devils advocate - we know you don't really feel this way, allegedly. But when you act like you condone the behavior, people will respond like you condone the behavior. What did you expect? The fact that you cannot even perceive bullying just points to an inability to understand what bullying is. You seem to be under the misapprehension that your intention dictates what is or isn't bullying. Seriously, google is your friend.
>>
>>49575936
Intentions always matter don't delude the issue. I don't defend what they did, only that they didn't mean to do it.

>And on average not knowing what you were doing was illegal is a defense for commiting the crime.

Yes this is true. In the US often someone will recieve less jailtime than average for a crime (obviously depends on the crime) then if they showed that they knew what they were doing.

>The fact that you cannot even perceive bullying just points to an inability to understand what bullying is.

I can't understand it? I was bullied since I was 10 for almost my entire school life. I was teased, taunted, beaten, all of it just for being me. Probably the worst of it was when someone would appear who was nice to you. Who talked to you, but it was all a trick, all a hope spot. I know wxactly what bullying is, I've experienced it first hand, which is why I don't think this was bullying.
>>
>>49575964
>Intentions always matter don't delude the issue. I don't defend what they did, only that they didn't mean to do it.

Alright retard.

bully1
ˈbʊli/
verb
gerund or present participle: bullying

use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force them to do something.

Your intentions don't matter, what you do does.

> I know wxactly what bullying is

You really don't. But you sound like a little shit who deserved what they got.
>>
>>49575964
Your intentions mean a lot in all things. If you spill some water and forget to clean it, and someone slips in it, did you mean for that to happen? Or were you just being careless? No one teased or taunted this kid, they just did something that they didn't think would result in real sadness and tears. For that I have sympathy on both sides, because I know as someone who has been bullied what it feels like, but I also know how easy it is to go overboard, to say or do things you shouldn't and things you'll regret. This is a bad situation that needed intervention, but ignorance got in the way, that is my 2 cents.
>>
>>49575898
>why the fuck aren't you just agreeing with me?
>>
>>49576001
>You don't know what bullying is
>ha ha retard
I'm sorry are you sure you're defending the kid in all this? You sound like you'd make a much better bully then anyone involved in this.
>>
>>49576001
>use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force them to do something.

I'd argue that the intention there is to intimidate or force someone to do what you want them to.

But that said, the Druid was using force/intimidation to force the Necromancer player to do what he wants.

So, yes - the Druid was bullying the Necromancer.
>>
>>49576019
>an IC dispute over imaginary dead orcs is using force
Holy shit dude
>>
>>49576012
>WAA, SOMEONE INSULTED ME ON THE INTERNET
>I BETTER GO TELL TUMBLR ABOUT THIS

Shitcunt, being a bully would mean I'd be better able to identify bullying behaviour instead of a beta-bitch like you.

Now go be a retard elsewhere.
>>
>>49576004
Yes, why the fuck aren't people wise enough to see this whole situation is That Group?

The group should have known better than to just go "fuck reality, its what my character would do."
>>
>DM letting people play a Necromancer
???
>>
>>49576029
Lol, bullies try even harder when people tell them they're being bullies. Go back to fit, maybe you can make up for the gains you lost stewing in your chair.
>>
>>49576024
>Holy shit dude

Are you the same sort of person that would say that using a loud voice isn't a demonstration of force?

An experienced player used his position to force his wants over an inexperienced player. The OP even highlights that the kid didn't know how to build a utility character and implies this is directly responsible for why the druid could kill his character in the first place.

So yeah, force.

Unless you also think that bullying someone online doesn't count because it's all online and thus there is no actual force being involved, you braindead fucking cumcunt.
>>
>>49576032
NOT DMS FAULT
KID WAS A DUMB
WE NOT, I mean THEY WERENT THAT GROUP
>>
>>49576044
Yes it was.

Any DM that lets his players play any type of Summoner is full blown retarded, necromancer is even worse.
>>
>>49576036
>Wants to insult a perceived bully
>Decides /fit/ is the best tool for it.

Seriously?

I'll let you try again. Go for it, it's a free shot.
>>
>>49576057
Why are summoners bad to play?
>>
>>49576064
They slow the game to a literal metagaming crawl.
>>
>>49576036
>You must be 18+ to post on 4chan.
>>
>>49576072
Ah I see what you mean now.
>>
File: stoppy the stop sign.jpg (30KB, 319x283px) Image search: [Google]
stoppy the stop sign.jpg
30KB, 319x283px
>>49575876
>>49575876
http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/37103/what-is-my-guy-syndrome-and-how-do-i-handle-it

Read this.

You are defending "My Guy Syndrome". It's bad for the hobby, it fucks up groups, it alienates new players, and it's always That Guy that uses it as an excuse to steal from the party, murder other players and NPCs for no reason, and bullshit like that.
>>
>>49575964
>Yes this is true. In the US often someone will recieve less jailtime than average for a crime (obviously depends on the crime) then if they showed that they knew what they were doing.
It's a mitigating factor in sentencing, though, not a defense.
>>
>>49576072

So the issue with Summoner types is metagame system issue?

Is it still inherently an issue in other systems?
>>
>>49575876
No it's not.
>>
>>49576088
It's an issue in any game where summons get separate actions from their summoners as opposed to either replacing them, carrying out specific pre-programmed actions, or augmenting the summoner's own abilities.
>>
File: 1474253544966.png (91KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1474253544966.png
91KB, 256x256px
>>49576039
Can you explain how shouting is comparable to the actions of fictional characters being roleplayed, and how the druids player "forced" his wants over the necromancers player? If the GM had an NPC get angry over the use of necromancy, would he be violating the NAP too? Christ, you might as well start talking about how by playing a necromancer at all, the kid was "forcing" his wants over the established party. Its absurd.
>you braindead fucking cumcunt.
Grow up.
>>
>>49576088
>>49576103
It isn't even solely a game issue, It's literally a real life issue as well; pretty much every situation can be solved by throwing wave after wave of the dead at it.
>>
>>49575876
>Honestly officer, I didn't realise stabbing him in the stomach would kill him. Murders a crime?! Serious?! I had no idea!
>What? Downloading copywrite material that is easily available on the internet is a crime? That doesn't make sense.
>Fuck off, there's no way I'm not allowed to stick my dick in someone who is one week younger than the legal age of consent.

Yeah, I can see why your dumbass was bullied in school. Do me a favour and give yourself a swirly for us? Just keep dunking your head into the toilet until all the bullshit between your ears comes out.
>>
>>49576002
>No one teased or taunted this kid, they just did something that they didn't think would result in real sadness and tears.
Yeah, rekt his sorry ass on the first session. Truly who would have thought that the kid would be unhappy ?
>>
>>49576108
I think you may be focusing on the force part of the definition too much and apparently you missed the part where influence can be used for bullying

like when your Dad tells you you're worthless, that's bullying even though he isn't punching your face, dude

the guy used his senior position in the gorup to shit all over a new player to the hobby for no reason except "that's what my guy would do" which, we should all know by now, is a reason only used by That Guy
>>
>>49576134
I think the more defining part was that the GM and the other players were pretty fine with the wrecking until the kid cried.
>>
>>49576134
>I think you may be focusing on the force part of the definition too much and apparently you missed the part where influence can be used for bullying
I am focusing on it because you brought it up and I thought it was silly, yeah.

>the guy used his senior position in the gorup to shit all over a new player to the hobby for no reason except "that's what my guy would do" which, we should all know by now, is a reason only used by That Guy
Thats a pretty silly thing to say too. By that logic, any roleplaying is something "That Guy" would do. Our characters actions are determined because thats what our "guys" would do. Thats literally what roleplaying is.

Would it have behooved the druids player to try and find a more diplomatic solution? Totally. Jumping quickly into (not straight into, he did give a single warning) PVP against a new player is terrible. But I doubt that the druids player derived some kind of satisfaction from making someone whos almost an adult cry for 4 minutes.

Its a roleplaying game. We like to roleplay. We develop quirks for our characters, and the druids was that he hated arcane magic. That clearly wasn't an issue with the GM or all the players before, so I really can't blame him for wanting to not immediately drop that trait. All this pearl clutching about how OP and all the other players at the table are awful people rubs me the wrong way.
>>
>>49576108
Sure dipshit, let's go through the steps.

>Can you explain how shouting is comparable to the actions of fictional characters being roleplayed,

Roleplaying is a group activity. A social event wherein many people (usually 4-5 ideally, but sometimes as few as 2) play a role and act out the actions of their characters through a typically vocal, but increasingly text based, medium.

These actions can correlate to bullying in the same way that you can verbally bully someone without raising your voice or fists to them. For example, if I were to repeatedly call you a smelly shitcunt, and tell others to call you a smelly shitcunt, that would be an act of bullying - in this case I am attempting to intimidate you with offensive language and forcing anti-social behavior against you.

So by dictating the actions of your character against the character of another player, you can influence and intimidate the player through those self-same actions.

For example, if I got all the characters in your group to call your character a smelly shitcunt continually, that could be reasonably interpreted as an act of bullying.

>how the druids player "forced" his wants over the necromancers player?

The Druid player designed a character that hates arcane magic. The druid player decided it was better to force his choice of how his character would act over the choice of how the necromancers character would act. ie: The druid player decided it was fitting to kill the necromancer character rather than just roleplay or compromise, because he decided his view on the game was better than the necromancers.

> If the GM had an NPC get angry over the use of necromancy

Ah, an interesting and fair point. In this case no - because the GM is supposed to be impartial, or at least focused on the betterment of the game and story. Now, if the GM was repeatedly targeting the same player with a variety of excuses over other players, then that could reasonably be interpreted as bullying.
>>
>>49576193
If your character quirk is "I murder other peoples' characters," you need to find a new quirk without being told.
>>
>>49576108
>Christ, you might as well start talking about how by playing a necromancer at all, the kid was "forcing" his wants over the established party. Its absurd.

Actually, you're spot on. If the GM and group had said 'Hey, you can't play a necromancer and you can't summon undead' and the player went on to do just that by outgaming the group, then he would be guilty of the same bullying behavior.

>Grow up.

Make me, shitstain.
>>
>>49576193
>By that logic, any roleplaying is something "That Guy" would do.

Dudebro, I hate to be the one to tell you this but...you're That Guy.
>>
>>49567651
This is why anyone who plays for the first time should always play sword and board.

Once you get to know the retards and That Guy of the group, you know what to expect and how to prepare.
>>
>>49576236
>"Hmm, my character is a pretty good person at heart, so I think he'd be happy to donate some gold to the orphans."
wow what a that guy lol xD
>>
>>49576193
>Our characters actions are determined because thats what our "guys" would do.
If you use this excuse to the detriment of other players enjoyment at the table
YOU
ARE
THAT
GUY
How the fuck don't you get that?
>>
>>49576258
>confirmed for That Guy
>>
>>49576258
You are fucking autistic, you known that is not what is being said.
>>
>>49571671
luckly i am good at dissociating game and real life.
i wouldnt have been rattled like that.
the yourmon'sfat is a bit too much thou
>>
>>49576263
The desires of the many outweigh the desires of the few.

The druid wanted to have that character. DM saw no problem, and it clearly wasn't a problem any time before the necromancer joined. The other players didn't intervene, implying that they had nothing wrong with it. Or, at the very least, that they didn't mind the druid's characteristic, despite all their sessions playing together beforehand.

Then one guy comes along and has the gall to say that his feelings are more important than the druid player's feelings of having fun, without infringing on any other player.

If you want to join a group, you fit in the gaps and then morph your own shape over time. Trying to fit your circular into a group which has a triangle hole won't work. Did the druid need to lash out that way instead of talking to the necromancer player whilst his character was made? No. I will give it that the necromancer is effectively useless now, but seriously, >playing an evil character in a clearly good campiagn. You're just asking for trouble.

What should have been done was convert the necromancer's character into a sorcerer or wizard. That way the new kid gets his power fantasy of controlling everything, without annoying anyone. But the necromancer should have been prepared for backlash, especially since (presuming he read the rulebook) he's aware that necromancers are de facto evil.

>cont. because verbosity is gr8
>>
>>49576344
>Continued
Don't fucking bother.
Learn to be more succinct.
The Tldr seems to be
>The new guy should have known better
Do you not know the word "new"?
>>
>>49576344
This story has echoes to my first game, except everyone was a newbie except the GM. Things got resolved by talking about what sort of game we wanted beforehand, and we all agreed on a stereotypical let's-go-vanquish-evil campaign. Sure enough, the guy who decided to make a chaotic randumb character died (twice, and then left the group), but everyone else had fun. The next game we all wanted an evil campaign. One person interpreted that as let's-go-pillage-all-day, but the other three wanted a more scheming campaign, so that other person modified their character concept to fit. And, y'know what? We all had fun.

People should not need to cater themselves in a group they are full members of for the sake of an essentially initiate. The initiate learns the ways of that group, and fits in. Perhaps after the first session the new guy could ask 'hey, is it possible that I do [X]?', and they could discuss it. Jumping in with this attitude that everyone owes you something is ridiculous, and more 'unfair' than the alternative suggested by others.

Though, seriously, the GM should have looked over his character sheet before the session even began and saw this potential issue.
>>
>>49576382
>Newbies should know better 2 Electric Boogaloo
>>
File: ok.png (10KB, 522x508px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
10KB, 522x508px
>>49576371
>>49576388
>>
>>49576407
>No one else will respond, so I won
The thread is in auto sage, you are still That Guy.
Enjoy your false sense of victory.
>>
>>49576407
I'm glad no one plays with you, Devlin.
>>
>>49576416
New poster, actually. I hadn't done anything but read and lurk before the two you complained about.

Regardless, whislt I appreciate articulation and whatnot, I feel that it is easier to convey meaning when using multiple examples and directinos of explanation than to simply state a single sentence ambiguously for the sake of being succinct, then criticise others for not reading it the way I intended. Good way to start an argument!

If you can't stand reading a few paragraphs, good for you. I hope you enjoy your cultural indoctrination from NowThis.

Also:
>not having an argument to respond with
>"lol you wrote too much for me to comprehend so your argument is invalid"
>"what you don't care about my opinion?"
>"you must have a false sense of victory"
>"please don't leave me in this autosaged thread"

gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>49576462
>New poster
Sure thing.
>Brevity is cultural indoctrination.
Waffle isn't smart, you retard.
>>
>>49576344
>What should have been done was convert the necromancer's character into a sorcerer or wizard.

You are the dumbest of dumbcunts. The OP flat out says the Druid had a problem with any Arcane Magic Caster, and you're solution is for the Necromancer to play a DIFFERENT ARCANE MAGIC CASTER.

JESUS CHRIST, YOUR HEAD IS SO FAR UP YOUR OWN ASS THE LUMP IN YOUR THROAT IS YOUR FUCKING NOSE.
>>
>>49576462
You use so many words to say so little.
>>
>>49576344
>>cont. because verbosity is gr8

A wordy dumbcunt is still a dumbcunt.
>>
>>49576497
See >>49568229. I would push to make a non-arcane class altogether, but it is the closest thing that would preserve the newbie's character design. I'm not saying it's perfect. It's called a compromise. Please do not get so agitated that people don't agree with you.

>>49576493
That's not what I meant to imply. News sources that stress on only giving the barest details (such as NowThis) tend to give a highly biased narrative that doesn't take into account all sorts of other bits of context. By refusing to accept that longer-winded explanations can give a more accurate portrayal, you tacitly accept their viewpoint and refuse to think for yourself. I don't like that. But that's not really on topic.

>>49576501
And how would you say it, conveying all the information I did, with the correct reasons for my opinion, without being ambiguous?

For the record, I enjoy discussion, and have nothing better to do right now. Hope you enjoy it too.
>>
>>49576566
Long winded doesn't imply more accurate, in your case its literally waffle.
You aren't more correct by vomiting more words.
>>
File: 1437022427340.jpg (46KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1437022427340.jpg
46KB, 480x360px
>>49576597
He is a cunt, but he also pointed out the post where OP notes "Druid was coming around to accept arcane magic used for the pursuit of good". He didn't oppose using magic to help the group, he specifically opposed using one of the only inherently evil and unnatural magics.
>>
>>49576597
You're missing the entire point.

"The new guy should have known better" is vague, needlessly ambiguous, and simply creates another point for a schism in opinion and more argument. By explaining reasons, motivations, etc. for a given view, you can prevent that and actually TALK about the issue rather than fling shit at each other because definitions aren't objectively the same in every person's head.

More words don't imply more correct. But since that's not the reason why I write more, it's not a concern to me.

lern 2 reed :^)
>>
>>49576566
>It's called a compromise. Please do not get so agitated that people don't agree with you.

A compromise implies two parties come to an agreement.

Your idea is literally pandering to the Druid players insanity to such an extent you want to homebrew a class for it that will just result in the That Guy saying 'My druid can't tell the difference between Arcane magic and custom non-arcane magic'.

That's not a compromise. That's pandering, you little shit.

>>49576638

He also pointed out that the character snapped and over-reacted to an extreme extent. We're making assumptions to assume that he wouldn't have done the same to a new player.
>>
>>49576638
But as has been stated repeatedly in the thread, Necromancy isn't inherently bad.
And "its what my character would do" isn't an good excuse to resort to PvP before discussion with the newbie.
>>
>>49576659
You say so little.
>>
>>49576662
>A compromise implies two parties come to an agreement.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

>Your idea is literally pandering to the Druid players insanity
Only because it is clearly not an issue for the rest of the group, or they would have put up some protest.

>you want to homebrew a class
No, I mean that you simply repick your spell list with the same character name, backstory, etc. I'd onlyever homebrew if the GM suggested it.

>just result in the That Guy saying [...]
Where did you get this from?

>>49576676
At least I respond at all.
>>
>>49576669
I think you missed the citations from the game's rulebooks that show exactly how necromancy isn't evil as a school of magic, but raising undead is.
>>49571031
>>49573552
>>49573934

Granted, DM and players should have barred classes/characters that were incompatible with the party.
>>
>>49576714
I think you also missed the examples in settings where its neutral or good. We can't assume they are playing default D&D Final Destination.

And yes, absolutely it should have been discussed beforehand rather than letting it get to PvP That Guy passive aggression.
>>
>>49576714
>>49576751
Eeeey, we've come full circle back to how the thread started. Wonderful.
>>
>>49576344
>The other players didn't intervene, implying that they had nothing wrong with it.

Faulty assumption. We can only assume that they didn't do anything about it.

> that they didn't mind the druid's characteristic, despite all their sessions playing together beforehand.

Faulty assumption, the OP states that the druid player snapped, implying that his killing another character is not usual behavior. If it was unusual behavior, there is not reason to assume the other players would be okay with it.

>Then one guy comes along and has the gall to say that his feelings are more important than the druid player's feelings of having fun, without infringing on any other player.

Yeah, the Necromancer wasn't infringing on the Druid. The Druid took it a step too far.

>I will give it that the necromancer is effectively useless now, but seriously, >playing an evil character in a clearly good campiagn. You're just asking for trouble

This is why the group and GM should have had a part in helping the new kid design a character. Again, the fault is in the hands of the GM and the group.

>What should have been done was convert the necromancer's character into a sorcerer or wizard.

Now you're just being an idiot.

>>49576382
>This story has echoes to my first game

Literally irrelevant.

> Jumping in with this attitude that everyone owes you something is ridiculous, and more 'unfair' than the alternative suggested by others.

Assumptions being made here.

>People should not need to cater themselves in a group they are full members of for the sake of an essentially initiate.

True, but they should help to make sure the new guy fits in rather than try to ostracize him by killing his character first session.

You seem to be under the delusion that it's okay to invite a new player into a group and then treat him like shit because he's new and not help him fit in to the pre-existing group dynamic.
>>
>>49576772
Yes, because the party were at fault. It doesn't matter how long a thread you make, the fact is a fact.
>>
>>49576791
>The originator of the error is objective.
Philosophy & Ethics 101, everyone.
>>
>>49576808
>Ignoring all the evidence of the thread, its totally subjective guys.
Younare a dumb cunt, no matter how facetious you try to be.
>>
>>49576682
>Only because it is clearly not an issue for the rest of the group, or they would have put up some protest.

Then it's not compromise, dipshit.
>>
>>49576808
In this case, yes.

The group invited a new player into their midst and then punished him for not knowing the rules of their group instead of trying to teach the new player the rules before he transgressed.

The faulty party here is the group. They were in a position of power and responsibility over the new player and were directly responsible for them being in the group in the first place.

If you bring a wild dog into your home and then let it play with your kids and your children get mauled, it's your fault for being a dipshit who didn't try to train or socialise the dog first - not the dog.
>>
>>49576849
Within a given set of principles the outcome should be consistent, otherwise those principles are not... principled.

Since principles vary across people (i.e. are subjective), the identity/-ies of those at fault is subjective.

In context: the rules in the rulebook should ideally be objective. However, whether you are a functionally-oriented player (the rules must be upheld, else the game loses meaning, thus the killing was justified), or a practically-oriented player (the enjoyment of the game is above the game itself, thus the killing was not justified) changes your outlook, and thus changes who you view the perpetrator to be.

Even if you think all parties are at fault, there remains a question over which one was most at fault, or to what degree an imbalance of error exists.

>>49576880
>The faulty party here is the group.
I agree, especially if the new player was given no prior warning about the druid's tendencies. However, the necromancer could have handled the situation once he gained this knowledge differently and potentially avoided difficulties, since OP implied that this happened IMMEDIATELY after the character was created, such as tweaking his character or seeking middle ground.
>>
>>49576923
Jesus H Fuck, such fucking waffle.
You could have said all that in a fucking sentence.

The ones who were most at fault were the group.
The new players only "fault" was being new.
>>
>>49576958
Please condense everything I said into one non-run-on sentence. Maybe my grasp over the English language isn't as strong as yours - care to show me the True Path?
>>
>>49576993
Care to be a less salty bitch?
>>
Why does every thread eventually devolve into two autists arguing about how the other one is arguing?
>>
>>49577054
Because there is only three people on 4chan. You, me and the other guy.

And I'm not sure about the other guy.
>>
>>49577032
Now, I don't mean to be condescending, but I think you're projecting a little.

I am seriously confused how that can all be stuffed into a single, sensibly sized sentence. Of course you can make it shorter, but I'm writing informally, without an editor, and not for a scholarly newspaper for fucks sake. I write like I speak.

Also, you've done this frequently. Dismissing an argument because it's more than twelve words isn't a valid form of debate.

>>49577054
Probably because, ultimately, we're all autists deep inside. Embracing your autism makes life a lot easier, especially when ou're outside in public and not in your parent's basement.
>>
>>49577060
>I don't mean to be condescending.
Yes, you do.
>We're all autistic, like me
No, that's just ypour autism unable to process other people aren't you.
>>
>>49577060
>Now, I don't mean to be condescending, but I think you're projecting a little.
>I am seriously confused how that can all be stuffed into a single, sensibly sized sentence. Of course you can make it shorter, but I'm writing informally, without an editor, and not for a scholarly newspaper for fucks sake. I write like I speak.

Then you waffle a lot.

>No, seriously - how do I make my sentences shorter?

Done.

>Probably because, ultimately, we're all autists deep inside. Embracing your autism makes life a lot easier, especially when ou're outside in public and not in your parent's basement.

>Because we're all autists, you fucking basement dweller.

Seriously, being concise is not a sin. Did your english exams all have a word count limit on them?
>>
>>49577090
>Did your english exams all have a word count limit on them?
Yes. I barely ever found them restrictive.
>>
>>49577131
Shocker, you waffled there too.
>>
>>49577138
>giving additional information is a sin
Correct.
>>
>>49577131
>Yes. I barely ever found them restrictive.

We know.
>>
>>49577150
Waffle isn't additional info.
It's padding, its filler, it's puffing up the answer with unnecessary extras, its failing to be concise, its a lack of brevity, its often reiterating the same point yet reworded for a pretence of intelligence.
>>
>>49577180
Agreed.

If you put only three rewordings in there you'd have used the classic authorship/journalistic trick of making a point more clear by explaining it from different angles, so that all readers will be able to fully grasp what is being conveyed.
>>
>>49577212
You assume;
A) I care.
B) I don't already know that.
You think very highly of yourself don't you?
>>
>>49577256
Yes, and ditto.

__ _______ _____ _____ ___ _______ _____ ________ ____ _______ ________ _____ _________ ______ _ ___________ _____ __________ ______ ___ :^) ____ _______ _________ __ _______ ______ ________ ____ __________ _______ _ ____ _______ ____
>>
>>49577274
>No U
Well at least you admit you were a fucking troll.
>>
File: Moon.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Moon.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Just using this dying thread to post a PDF to a friend, pay me no mind.
>>
>>49577426
What the fuck did I just read?
>>
>>49576216
Come on. Given the gripe the druid had with arcane magic the kid had one third of the options in the PHB barred from start because of one player.
>>
>>49577563

Yeah, the Druid was a shit. But the GM and group could have done something - ANYTHING - to help the new player integrate into the group.
>>
>>49576923
>However, the necromancer could have handled the situation once he gained this knowledge
He couldn't, he was being mauled by a druid at that time.
>>
>>49577585
Like, having the druid suffer consequences for his reckless shittery. If I were the GM the druid would have been hunted down like the feral CE beast he is.
>>
>>49577528
It's a Word, for Godbound. Its OSR Exalted.

....its a LOT better then that dogshit turn of phrase really sounds.
Thread posts: 403
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.