[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>d&d club group is splitting in two groups because we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: jv0wo5.png (411KB, 382x600px) Image search: [Google]
jv0wo5.png
411KB, 382x600px
>d&d club group is splitting in two groups because we have too many players
>offer to gm one group
>have the great idea of running d&d set in Rome
>players love it, really excited
>gonna start after old gm finishes campaign
>starts having second thoughts
>one of the players is an insufferable know-it-all who will most certainly be interrupting to correct me on tiny details
>player is also dragon guy from the that guy thread a week or so ago (had to outright tell him to play something other than a dragonborn this time)
>two or three weeks out, the closer it gets the less I want to run it
>can't back out because players already making characters

as well as
>2/3 players who hopped onto my campaign are the better players in the group
>left other DM with the shitty players
>she wanted to do a draft
>gave up because my players made characters that go together and she doesn't want to split them up
>if I change the campaign they'll have to make new characters and I might lose the good players

how do I back out, /tg/?
inb4: flakey asshole. I know.
>>
If you're getting the 'better' players (and fuck a system that makes people play a game they don't want to play), won't it be fun for all of you? If That Guy starts his shit warn then kick him.
>>
Say you don't have as much free time as you thought you had and as such you can no longer run the campaign. Apologize profusely.
>>
>>49558658
The issue is not that I don't want to DM, I just don't want to DM Rome.
>>
File: Laughing_Man2.jpg (45KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing_Man2.jpg
45KB, 267x400px
>>49558607
This is your chance to have a great time, you can do it, don't pussy out now. You can keep the player in check. Trust yourself, there's no reason to self-sabotage.
>>
>>49558692
Hmm...well, best advice I can think on that, is you can always try finding the stuff that got you originally interested in the Rome campaign, and gorge yourself on it for a bit. Might work, might not.
>>
When you say Roman DnD is it fantasy Rome or all humans, no magic, a legionairy is you?
>>
>>49558906
Fantasy Rome. Magic and non-human races exist, but other than that everything else is pretty much the same.
>>
>>49558941
If you're dead set on calling it Rome then I suggest reading up a bit or I dunno play a historical game like civ or rome total war a bit. Familiarize yourself with some basic terminology and you're good to go. Otherwise you can call it something else Latin sounding and use rome as a basis. Either way you shouldn't worry because it isn't actually rome, it's rome where people can throw fireballs and teleport and live to be hundreds of years. This is all assuming that the major issue is dragon guy being a know it all. Basically tell him "Hey faggot? Tell me, did rome have orcs? How 'bout dragons? No? Well fuck off."
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IkLfY8tgFIHu1jSdDL13lxHJgUBw635uUQMK5nH4hNI

If you can access this it may provide some inspiration. First chapter of a campaign based on historical places & mythological events gleaned from frescoes. Good luck!
>>
>>49558692
You could make it clear that it's just based on Rome, and give it a different name. If you're called out for an inaccuracy, say something along the lines of "while you may be correct for actual Rome, this is only based on it, and the presence of magic and other fantasy things may have changed how not-Rome developed."
Try to emphasize that the differences in the environment may have changed how this Rome formed. I wouldn't take the route of "well this has dragons or orcs of course it's not accurate" because, while it may be true, it has a lot more of an aggressive 'fuck you' tone which you probably don't want for your game. It's all about the tone.
>>
>>49558607
How do you back out?

You DON'T. You MAN THE FUCK UP.
>>
>>49558607
Read Caesar's books (like Commentaries on The Gallic Wars) for some nice inspiration on Rome.
>>
>>49558607

Tell the know-it-all dragon guy that you'll try to get Rome as accurate as possible but that you'll get some things wrong. You're not there to debate over small details from a civilization that's 1600 years old. Even Rome had to make up some history when some Gauls sacked the city in the 400s-ish BC.

Also if the guy is a stickler for details, why is he wanting to be a dragonborn in a setting that's nothing but humans? Unless you splash in D&D races into your Rome campaign.
>>
questions, OP.

Is know it all guy a nitpicky autist who awkwardly argues with the DM over minute details?

Or is he a normal, heavily detail oriented player who just focuses on immersion through in-game continuity?

What do the other players think of him?
>>
>>49558607
I think I remember this dragon know-it-all from last week. Is it the same one that hopped onto Skype and went on an unprompted tirade about he doesn't like being called a furry because he doesn't sexually like them, but just likes them and thinks they're better than humans in every way?
>>
>>49559237
>>49559128
Do these.
>>
>>49563038
You're getting two guys mixed together. The know-it-all and That Guy are two different players.

>>49566693
Thirding these. If the know-it-all player isn't a complete autist, just a history buff who knows a fuckton about Rome, then making it clear beforehand that this is Fantasy Rome and there will be small details wrong should be an easy way to set his mind at ease.
>>
File: 1434045972541.jpg (38KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
1434045972541.jpg
38KB, 500x348px
Find something you love about the setting. Reignite whatever passion you used to have for it.
>>
>>49558607
here's an idea

ditch the shitty players
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.