[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some fantasy books I can read which will cultivate my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

What are some fantasy books I can read which will cultivate my creativity and imagination some more, /tg/?

Books, puzzle games, pitch bibles, any source which can improve my idea roster.
>>
>>49532830
Try anything by Tim Powers, the guy tends to have his stories end well for the hero, however the way he presents his take on magic in each book is pretty cool.

Examples included in On Stranger Tides, magic was largely based off of voodoo with it working beat overy the sea and the practitioners needed to never touch iron, resulting in their white gums
>>
>>49532830
>On Stranger Tides
No thanks, I saw the film.
>>
All of them. Better hurry up and get to work
>>
>>49533160
>book
>printed in 1984
>has almost nothing to do with the movie other than blackbeard and the fountain of youth
>has more to do with voodoo
>>
>>49533333

Nice quints btw
>>
>>49533333
Holy fuck
>>
>>49532830
The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, including the ones taking place after the trilogy. His way of balancing the setting's magic is pretty spectacular and believable.
>>
>>49532830
Lord of Light.
>>
The early books from the Malazan series is basically a giant GURPS adventure
>>
I've actually been doing the same recently !

>Anything Our Lord Pratchett wrote
Because I find him really relevant when it comes to depicting the rugged ambiance I love in fantasy, de-mock stuff if needed. As he wrote in many mini-settings through the Discworld series while keeping it coherent, it gives you great leads for varying the kind of scenarios you have your PCs go through

>Alain Damasio - La Horde du Contrevent
(I don't know the english title)
For his depiction of nature as the heroes's main opponent. The setting he writes in is low fantasy, but you can easily pick ideas from this book for your sessions

>Berserk (the manga, not the animated versions)
Because it's dark af while still keeping stuff on a human level, people have personal motives and while some are huge edgelords (hello Griffith), other (mainly minor characters) make really good inspiration for realistic NPCs. And also the non-fighters of the setting have a rough time all the time, which is something I enjoy borrowing when I need it

>Lovecraft's short stories
Because sometimes you really need to solve party coherence issues. And the words "Unspeakable Horror" can prove to be useful.

>Jules Verne's whatever.
In fantasy you have fewer occasions to deal with technology, and when you have to, being really descriptive about whatever your imaginary invention is makes it way more interesting. Which is exactly what I love with this writer

I hope it can help you ;)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.