[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be a dick move as a DM to tell your players "you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1460207278267.jpg (11KB, 326x184px) Image search: [Google]
1460207278267.jpg
11KB, 326x184px
Would it be a dick move as a DM to tell your players "you can only play as race X" if it fits the campaign? Like, for example the game starts in a Dwarf Fortress-type setting and restricting race to dorfs because it's FAR too unlikely that a party with a teifling, elf, human, and dragonborn will just be chilling in a secure mountain fortress free to move about as they please.
>>
>>49527650
No thats absolutly fine.
My DM once did a humans only campain because the whole plot was "Humanity diplomacy with fantasy races they just met"
>>
>>49527650
>e, for example the game starts in a Dwarf Fortress-type setting and restricting race to dorfs because it's FAR too unlikely that a party with a teifling, elf, human, and dragonborn
Well this is a thing that can now feasibly happen with the tavern update. I get fucking goblin bards and animal men scholars along with human mercs and elf dancers chilling out in my inn now.

Hell, they can even petition for citizenship into your fortress.
>>
File: 1451206378006.jpg (35KB, 661x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451206378006.jpg
35KB, 661x720px
>>49527721
>Well this is a thing that can now feasibly happen with the tavern update. I get fucking goblin bards and animal men scholars along with human mercs and elf dancers chilling out in my inn now.
This sounds pretty cool. Wish I had the patience and free time to master DF
>>
>>49527650

As a player I wouldn't have a problem with this.

As a GM though I would try to make a campaign premise that's flexible enough to allow a variety of races in the first place.

For example rather than an old, established dwarf mountain hold, I'd make it a frontier fort that defends a gold mine. I'd give my players the directive "try to make a character that has a reason to be there and is invested in its survival". I'd try to add elements to help justify the presence of non-dwarfs:
>the dwarfs pay freebooters from all races in gold ingots to help defend against the many dangers in the area
>wild elves live in the snowy mountain forests and are on decent terms with the dwarfs, often trading meat and furs for gold
>there's a new port a day's march away from the dwarf fort. It's a merchant guild venture that was built to support lucrative whaling, fishing and hunting (seals, walrus, etc). Humans and other races are found there.
>>
>>49527650

Thematically, I'd be neat to show off how the world has changed in various eras depending on the time-frame.

At one point in time it's possible Dwarves built a dominant empire, or Dark Elves were in decline because of some extradimensional incursion into the underdark for a decade or two. Two species or different peoples may have have conflicts or close partnerships which involved incursions or trading between their governments or settlements, leading to areas where cross-species breeds are commonplace for better or worse; persecuted for what they represent historically, or lauded for the local history and identity they represent.

In a dying earth setting, some species might actually have become extinct due to the changing and extreme conditions, or perhaps just migrated off world or to other dimensions to escape the coming doom. The Elves might have fucked off en-masse after nature winds down as the sun dims, or extra-planar creatures might disappear because of some growing interference that makes interplanar travel impossible.
>>
>>49527650
I've always been in favor of forcing a theme. No ifs-ands-or-buts about it. If it's the story you came up with and will help aid in telling that story, by all means do it.

I've always found that players that gripe about being pigeon-holed into a race and/or profession are typically power players that really don't give two shits about story. I also find they can't role play worth a damn (if you can't role play a simple human, no way in hell am I gonna let you roll a half-goblin rogue wizard that focuses on ice and dark magic)
>>
>>49527650
As long as you justify it to the players, it'll be fine.
>>
>>49527650
No it would not be a dick move. Not even slightly. Literally, the only kind of players who would take issue would be bad players.
>>
>>49527650
The thing that makes this not a dick move is it's something you talk to your players about before the game, and they agree to it.

If it is something they really don't want to do they'll let you know.

Talking to the players about what type of game you want to run is generally a good idea.
>>
>>49527721
Did they ever get around to giving dwarf fortress mouse controls? Could never get into it due to having to remember a hundred keys for what could be done with a couple mouse clicks.
>>
>>49528465

It has quite a few mouse controls now. Drawing your tunnels is way nicer than doing by keyboard, I gotta say.
>>
>>49527650
Perfectly fine.
>>
>>49527650
It would not be a dick move, it's your prerogative as the DM.

Although in saying that I'd suggest not limiting races to such a degree.
>>
File: 5_dwarfs_water_10003.jpg (38KB, 480x354px) Image search: [Google]
5_dwarfs_water_10003.jpg
38KB, 480x354px
>>49527650
I've not read the thread. It's perfectly acceptable to make your players play race "x" like human. Not every campaign needs to be fantasy race sometimes elves and orcs are rare as fuck in a setting.

If your gonna force to play a fantasy race like dwarf or elf it's only acceptable if the players are ok with it.
>>
File: age of men over.gif (768KB, 245x238px) Image search: [Google]
age of men over.gif
768KB, 245x238px
>>49527650
the fantasy of being able to be or do whatever you want is kinda lesser when you restrict the fun for no real reason

at least let them play as sub-races or races that would conceivably be in contact with your main race

for one shots or whatever, who cares if they agree, but for long campaigns people should be able to play what they want as long as it isn't a Flying Yiff Fox or something
>>
>>49527650
One of many problems that can be easily solved by talking like a real human bean
>Hey guys, I have an all dwarves campaign planned, do you want to play it now or are you in the mood for something else?
Even if they don't like dwarves curiosity will eventually creep into them and they'll say yes.
>>
>>49527650
No, that's a completely normal thing to do.
>>
>>49527650
It is absolutely fine to set whatever restriction you like to a campaign. Both good players and good DM's will realize this. Not every campaign takes place in an international setting and one that was focused on dwarven political intrigue would obviously have all dwarven characters. The most leinent you should be in such a case is "Yes you can play as a Elf in this campaign but you have no knowledge of any happenings and the friendliest thing that anyone does for you will be ignore you."
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.