[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 25

File: 1454775767484.jpg (476KB, 1081x1680px) Image search: [Google]
1454775767484.jpg
476KB, 1081x1680px
>New Sage Advice - Rules Answers: September 2016
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2016

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Last Session:
>>49482567
>>
What, no question to start the thread?

Here we go: do you like your fey scary, extra scary, or eldritch-horror-scary?
>>
How does a tomelock compare to other casters? Can you get more utility out of an imp familiar than a book of shadows for the first 10 levels?
>>
Hey there, anons. Race-building guy back again repeating his inevitable request for criticisms and suggestions as to which race to tackle next.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

For those who'd rather not poke around and try to figure it out, here's the direct list of races I need to get written up:
Pterran
Bladeling
Fey'ri
Rogue Modron
Hamadryad
Satyr
Huldra
Dust Genasi
Rain Genasi
Magma Genasi
Blight Genasi
Smoke Genasi
Tanuki
Mujina
Kawauso
Bakeneko
Itachi
Tengu
Spellscale

Criticisms brought up in the last thread:
* Racial feats are near-universally overpowered; need help toning those down.

* Many races are either bland, underpowered or both - need help boosting them up. Finding more "fluffy" racial traits and switching out the boring "free proficiency" skills is definitely on the list.

As an aside, could really use help figuring out where to go with the Spellscale and Yokai races. The former in particular... I wonder... Maybe go for a subrace mechanic based on Draconic Ancestry, and give 'em damage resistance, spell-like abilities and possibly other features based on canon dragons? Because, honestly, the old Blood Quickening mechanic probably wouldn't work in 5e and was kind of bland back then anyway?

Oh, I just realised... I've been focusing mostly on the crunch, but, maybe I should take a step back and try writing up racial fluff instead? Or should I leave that until I have all of the races statted?
>>
Rolled 6 (1d8)

>>49492900
>1) Don't step inside the standing stones up on the mound. Those are the teeth of greedy, sleepy old Grandfather Ogre

>2) That cabin out by the woods, the man who lives there loves dogs. He has a dozen or more, feeds them from his own hands. He's raising the pups of the Great Hound deep in the forest, tree-high. He's not a man at all.

>3) You'll catch her sometimes if she's quiet, loping along with that awkward gait, watching the birds. When she whistles the men follow her and they never look at her mouth. Her legs alone must be twice their height, but they never mention it. If they come back.

>4) Always two of them. Man and woman. Husband and wife maybe, but they always wear the same face too. They love to measure - if you stand still by them they'll measure every part of you, down to the finger-bones. They love smaller things. They'll make things for you if you let them, from the junk they carry, but they always make them too big. They especially love children.

>5) Sometimes you see them flit by at night - bright-winged, butterfly-free. At a distance you can mistake the little ones for fireflies. But when you see the broader glow coming over the curve of the hillside you must remember to look away.

>6) The whole bottom of the river is covered in shells and they rattle when you cross the bridge. Shellycoat loves distracting travelers and getting them lost - down her gullet, if she's hungry.

>7) You find them in churches - abandoned ones - torturing themselves. They've a fascination with the crucifixion. Sometimes they'll come close to a village, inching along on those long fingers and toes, and try to lure out a priest to talk to them.

>8) You have to understand is it's not your wife, your husband. The thing gets into the ground and inside of them, makes them move again. It's not hair - how could hair grow that long? You have to cut it out of the corpse. Get that long strand and follow it back to the beast in the earth.
>>
>>49492952
That's quite the range of scary. I enjoyed it too much.
>>
>>49492912
Tbh, tome lock is a bit hit and miss. You have solid rituals as a tomelock but it's hard to get that ritual book filled up with good rituals unless you get lots of scrolls and wizard books through adventuring. Outside of the bonus cantrips, I would say just go chain if your main interest is the familiar. Plus, an imp familiar with at will invisibility and flying is extremely handy at low levels.
>>
>>49493068
>too much
That's scarier than anything in that post.
>>
Reposting this for the guy who wanted someone to write about a full moon ritual:

>49492710
>>
>>49493390
Oh. I forgot an arrow.
>>49492710
>>
>>49492920
This is probably getting a bit ambitious, but I'm actually starting to wonder if maybe I should consider working on more races. I'm currently contemplating the Centaur and the Girtablilu, maybe the Thriae, but still... anyone out there with greater knowledge of the many bizarre racial options that showed up in editions past? I remember the aranea, lupin, diabolus, rakasta (catfolk) and tortle from Mystara, and dimly recall the bariaur (Planescape), and Spelljammer's Giff, Scro and Xixchil, but what else is out there that 3e never touched up?
>>
So my players are about to delve into a rather large dungeon. I've got the dungeon rooms and encounters mapped out, but scratching my head for treasure to reward them with.
The monsters are mainly slimes and other critters that can survive without food for long amounts of time (the dungeon is an old abandoned temple). Any furniture and such is long since rotten through, food stores ravaged by rats and the passage of time etc.

Do you, as a DM, use any tables to generate treasure in cases such as this, only use pre-placed loot or some other method?
>>
>>49493461
Sometimes I use random generators, as long as they don't come up with ridiculous stuff for their level.

Other times, I place things players might want for their characters (and sometimes even talk to them about what sort of magic items they'd like), but make it a challenge to actually reach said item, through traps and puzzles, or tough encounters.

As far as explaining the loot they get, other adventurers have probably been to this dungeon before, and failed. Also, hidden stuff might be there from the original inhabitants before the slimes moved in.
>>
Is alter self just ANY bipedal with the same basic shape or is it limited to humanoids?
For instance, is something like a bearded devil or a myconid fine?
>>
Can I make a homebrew of Ragnarok Online in this edition?
>>
Hey guys I know that this isn't the right thread, I'm a 5e player, I know very little of 3.5.

A friend of mine asked me to join a 3.5 game with them, I'm thinking in a Wizard but in 3.5 there is something like Arcane Focus or we should have the actual component?
>>
>>49493542
talk to your GM
>>
>>49493600
You have a spell component pouch.
>>
>>49493600

>>49493996
This. Your spell component pouch is essentially hammerspace for any costless spell components you might need. You'll have to specify buying spell components with a higher cost while you're in town- but those are mostly higher-level spells.
>>
>>49493996
>>49494067
Thank you guys.
>>
Has anyone built any baddies using the Death cleric?

I'm trying to make diverse enemy casters, but it's a huge pain in the ass and need more than just Priest, Cult Fanatic, and Mage (which is too powerful for the time being)
>>
>>49492900
I'm kind of at the point where I've seen so much spooky fey stuff that I just want to have the next fey the party encounters to just be genuinely nice and playful with no ulterior motive of eating them or stealing their firstborn whatsoever. I mean I don't think they're ALL supposed to be spooky
>>
Well shit, me and my party happen to run into an abandoned inn and turned it into a makeshift stronghold of sorts. What do you reckon we can do with it? We are thinking of running an adventuring guild hoping to bring in some guys and make money out of it. So far we hired an archeologist Elf wizard and a Dwarf fighter NPCs into our ranks.
>>
>>49492900
Depends on the time. I like fiarytale nymphs, rape nymphs, and murder nymphs in equal measure.
>>
>>49494294
As far as cliche "adventuring guilds" go usually there has to be a near endless source of randomly generated loot nearby, but I suppose an archeologist is a step in the right direction. I suppose the real question is how's the location?
>>
>>49494294
I don't know what setting your running, but in Forgotten Realms true adventurers aren't really common enough to warrant a guild.
>>
If I wanted to make a character similar to pic related should I go Fiendlock or Vengeance Paladin?

Or both, so I can cash in on that smite+warlock slot synergy?
>>
File: ghost-rider-1-198788.jpg (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-rider-1-198788.jpg
2MB, 1680x1050px
>>49494447
Shit, forgot the pic.
>>
>>49494453
Vengeance Paladin is good, it'll serve your purposes nicely. I've slowly been working on a very Ghost Rider oath, but it's pretty shit.
>>
>>49494447
>>49494453
Warlock slots are separate.
>>
>>49494478
>Warlock slots are separate.
but can still be used to power smites. Devs confirmed it.
>>
Any who knows if the coloring book will be uploaded to the MEGA?
>>
>>49494502
Oh, shit then fiend paladin with oath breaker(For spell list) if your DM will allow. Take Blade pact or Chain pack(for aura synergy).
>>
So I think I'm going to play a noble undying warlock that drank the blood of his vampire countess to become a diplomat of her court. As he levels up, her vampiric influence becomes stronger and corrupts his blood. What pact would be best for this? I was thinking about choosing tome and having his book of shadows be penned in his blood, granting him the additional magic power. Pact of blade also seems appropriate if I use it to summon a rapier.
>>
Does this game let me play as a cat boy or kitsune yet?
>>
>>49494644
You spelled "cat girl" wrong
>>
>>49494644
>>
>>49494616
Pact of the Blade is decent, but pretty much requires taking a level of fighter.
>>
>>49494530
It is very doubtful that anyone will scan a coloring book and put it on the Internet.
>>
>>49494616
>>49494697
Pact of the Blade is decent, but pretty much requires being a dwarf and picking a different class
>>
Anyone here know anything about Adventures in Middle Earth yet?

I had my first session yesterday. Wanderers = Rangers, and the Wanderer is all about not fucking up the Journey phase of the game (they implemented rules for travelling). One of the lines under Known Lands is

"You know at least one place in each Known Land where you can safely take a long rest: a settlement where you have friends, perhaps, or a hidden cabin in the woods or simply a dry and defensible cavern or secret glade"

I take that to mean that while I'm on a Journey through one of my known lands I get to take a long rest there (important in AIME, exhaustion is an important thing). My DM just said NOPE. But I don't think he's really read the rules much...
>>
>>49494744
>they implemented rules for travelling

NOICE. Checkin' it out.
>>
Any 5e homebrew adventure modules that caught your eye, /5eg/?

Saw this one horror-themed one called "Sphere of Sunlight" haven't checked it yet but it looks like some effort got put into it. Additionally, I saw A Most Potent Brew and Horror at Havel's Cross which seem good for my newbie group who want a short burst adventure versus something like Lost Mines.
>>
>>49492900
since in celtic religion fairies and the other creatures are extremely chaotic and deadly i would say extra scary, though not extremely, because half of the danger wasn't really the ill intents of the creatures but just their chaotic behaviours.
Of course christianity gave it a much more evil concept cause they always like to blame the religions they steal from.
>>
>>49494797
I'm looking or some, but not having luck.
>>
>>49494368
You can get adventuring COMPANIES sure, but guilds? Yeah, not really.

It helps that most D&D settings aren't filled with endlessly replicating monsters that re-spawn as soon as your PC leaves the area so the next group of players can get more XP and loot and dungeons once they get cleared out STAY cleared out as long as you stop more shit from wandering in.
In a MMO-type world adventurers are a much more consistent job because ultimately your actions are irrelevant and you can be replaced by any other group of similar adventurers because in effect you're the equivalent of mailmen; the mail never stops coming and thus there's always a need for mailmen.
>>
>>49494616
Make him taller over time. And paler. And blonder. And more obsessed with fashion.
Those creepy fucking Cainhurst guys in Bloodbourne are excellent inspiration for pseudo-undead.
>>
>>49494294
Why wouldn't you expand your "stronghold of sorts" into a "village of sorts"? those are much more profitable.
>>
>>49494820
There's a difference?
>>
had one of my players use Acid Splash on a locked door to get through it.

was this a mistake? I used AC and HP. But did I allow something retarded/potentially abusive?
>>
>>49495284
Nah, the DMG has guidance to help it be consistent.
>>
>>49495284
Acid Splash only targets creatures.

But overall something like that could be accomplished RAW with repeated castings of Firebolt, smashing the door down with a Strength check, using a portable ram or crowbar on it, chopping it open with an axe, smashing it down with a hammer, picking the lock with thieves' tools and a Dex check, etc. Doors can be bypassed by many means, magical and mundane.
>>
Hey anons, I got some useful thread about making a mounted archer type subclass.

Now I'm gathering a list of viable mounts (getting those real exotic creatures too for your RP'ing pleasure). Now I've only been including creatures that are Large.

My question to you is should I also include Medium sized creatures in this list, because the races that are considered small could use them (there are some pretty nifty medium sized mounts like wolf/pony/panther/tiger/mule/mastiff, etc).

Obviously this would make a lot more work for me, but what do y'all think?
>>
I would like a new character idea thats really fun to roleplay, and maybe slightly annoying.

My group never roleplays. Theyre all only in ot for the rolls and numbers. I love roleplay deep in my heart, and i want them to see how much fun im having, and join me, as everything else seems to fall flat in this regard.
>>
>>49495305

what page/chapter exactly, do you mean? So I can find it when I get home from work.
>>
>>49495335
Absolutely. Dog-riding halflings with slings are a staple of D&D.
>>
>>49495284
One of my players asked me if she could try it herself. At the moment i found it extremely clever and allowed it, idon't know if i will allow it anymore, but who knows. At the end of the day roll whatever you feel like.
>>
>>49495340
well anon, i'd say that it's less about the character idea/premise and more about your ability to improvise and actively RP that is gonna make a difference. Perhaps approach your DM and ask him for more opportunities to engage in RP - social interactions, group decision making, etc.

Also I've found that it's vastly easier to RP characters that have flaws so dump your stats accordingly so that it fits. Maybe pick up some of the less "traditional" skill proficiencies so that your character can shine at situations beyond combat.
>>
File: thumbs-up.jpg (82KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up.jpg
82KB, 630x420px
>>49495361
Welp then, guess I'll have to expand my mount list. Appreciate the input!
>>
>>49495284
Any door that can be bested by Acid Splash wouldn't be much of an obstacle even without the spell.
Also, be weary of using it on locked containers as it may have an adverse effects on its contents.
>>
>>49495325
How would you justify that limitation in- setting?
>>
>>49490228
Sorry for the late response! I am here now.
There's a rule that Large creatures in 5e can wield large sized weapons and large weapons have doubled damage dice. Ridiculous. What do you? Here's my suggestion.
+2 strength, +1 con
Large sized
-disadvantage when using normal sized weapons, cannot use normal armor
-large sized equipment must be custom made, so buying a Large weapon costs 100x more gold, a suit of armor costs 10x more gold
With multipliers on the costs of equipment like this, the Large player will have generally lower AC than the others martials, and he'll be wielding things like a Large Greatclub (2d8) for most of the game instead of a Large Greatsword (4d6). He'll still be dealing more damage, but the difference won't be all that significant. One of the players in a game I'm currently in shoots enemies with a shotgun for 2d8 a hit and it's fine, not really a big deal.
By the time the Large player starts saving up enough gold to start getting higher end large weaponry, the other martials should already be decked out in magic equipment.

Also, they don't have any racial abilities outside of that because being Large already grants a lot of bonuses, like doubling carrying capacity and lifting weight and improving grapple potential.
>>
>>49495586
I don't think money is a particularly well suited to be a balance tool in 5e considering you can't normally buy magic items anymore
>>
File: dELe.jpg (17KB, 480x410px) Image search: [Google]
dELe.jpg
17KB, 480x410px
>>49495668
Fuck off I hate you.
Players should be able to do that too.
>>
File: 1467910477406.png (2MB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1467910477406.png
2MB, 1400x1000px
>Aarakocra
>>
>>49495827
I can't wait to find out the new and exiting way some fag thinks he can beat every single encounter risk free by flying. Thank god they only live like 30 years
>>
>>49495335
"At least one size larger than you" should cover it and allow you, with other limitations, to leave the mount up to the imagination of the player. Unless you're writing up special rules for each mount...
>>
>>49495668
>>49495586
>I don't think money is a particularly well suited to be a balance tool in 5e

Definitely not. Especially considering we're talking thousands of gp here, which most adventurers won't see in months of adventuring.

>>49495748
(you)
>>
File: 1212.jpg (70KB, 702x472px) Image search: [Google]
1212.jpg
70KB, 702x472px
>Hi, this is my character. He's a Winged Tiefling!
>What do you mean Winged Tiefling isn't allowed? It's in SCAG! It's official!

What the fuck was WotC thinking, do they not know 50% of tabletop players are mentally 13 years old?
>>
>>49495586
Here is what I suggested and allowed for a player in my group who wanted to recreate a half-ogre-esque character.
+2 Strength, +2 Con, Max for Str and Con is points higher than normal.
You have large size, advantage on strength checks and saving throws, your weapons deal +1d4 extra damage.
>>
>>49496377
Is 4 points higher than normal.
>>
>>49496377
And the drawback?
>>
>>49496431
Races don't have Drawbacks in 5e.
>>
>>49496467
That shitty half-ogre race is stronger than any other race though. Something's got to give.
>>
>>49496422
Usually it's only 3 total, but there are exceptions like one of the dwarf subraces and half elves.
I think basing it more on the enlarge person spell like he did with the +1d4 instead of the large size weapon dice is probably the most balanced compromise you'll get, though if you ask me having giants as a player race would just be a mistake in general
>>
Why are Eldritch Knights considered mediocre?
>>
>>49496481
And with stronger I actually mean better, not literally higher STR (which it also has).

Just use the stats from the Goliath and refluff some things as needed. Giving Large size and ridiculous stat boosts to a PC race is a grave mistake.
>>
>>49496481
Compare it to a Mountain Dwarf.
You get advantage on strength checks and saving throws, and you deal 1d4 extra damage and have a slightly higher threat radius due to reach.

You lose weapon proficiencies, armour proficiencies, tools skill proficiencies, stonecunning, poison resistance and darkvision.
>>
>>49495586
Half giants are simple

>+2 strength
Large sized - Roll twice as many damage dice when attacking with a weapon, unarmed strike, or improvised weapon suited for your size.
Hurler - You can throw objects the size of boulders or halflings. You are proficient in throwing these objects, they are improvised weapons that deal 2d4 damage (this includes the bonus damage from being large sized).
>>
>>49496503
The schools of magic they have access to just make them more blasty, which a fighter already is. If they had access to transmutation, for example, they'd be a lot more fun.
>>
>>49494817
I'm currently working on one, it's an Adventurers Guide with notable one/two-session dungeons, pertinent random encounters/notable road events, that sorta deal. High adventure, Always-Evil enemies, and a bit of Lovecraftian background. My players so far have loved it, and I've been fine-tuning the dungeons across multuple campaigns, so I know they work fairly well. Still getting details typed out though, currently on the Dragonborn of the setting.
>>
>>49496503
Because your spells are kind of shit, you get evocation which is mostly damage spells but because you get them late, they are trash. By the time you can cast level two spells, 3d8 damage is absolutely nothing to enemies of that CR, even the mighty 8d6 fireball is fuck all at level 11. Unless you go MAD and max out your int your saves will be pretty weak too.

The biggest draw to the class is being able to cantrip and melee, which honestly is great because usually casting a cantrip is roughly equal to an attack from a decent weapon. Until you hit level 11 when suddenly you're not trading an attack for cantrip, you're trading two attacks, yes your cantrip is gets slightly stronger, but it now costs you twice as much.

Every time you cast a spell, you're wasting the martial output of a fighter. Whenever you spend a turn fighting, why the fuck aren't you just a battlemaster or champion? If Eldrich knight got their own spells like Paladin did then they would be great, having access to some elemental/arcane based "Smite" spells that cast as bonus actions would be great, or spells that otherwise don't interrupt your combat pace, but instead they are fighters with a diabetic wizard stapled on his shoulders, an autistic younger brother that you have to take care of for mothers sake.
>>
File: IMG_1070.jpg (39KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1070.jpg
39KB, 500x309px
>>49494797
>>49494818
Herp, meant to say >>49496721 to you folks.
>>
>>49496719
>>49496726
What would you give them to make them better?
>>
>>49496721
I'm a new dm, i really can't figure out how to create a dungeon.
>>
>>49496503
Best eldrich knight build.

Go Cleric, take Domain Arcane, take Booming-Blade or Greenflame blade as your cantrip, done.

Alternatively, go Valor Bard and be a knightly son of a bitch, use arcane secrets to obtain whatever spells you want to fit your theme better.
>>
>>49496620
There's a reason they didn't make the Goliath Large size even though it should have been were it a NPC. Size changes a LOT of things and gives a lot of bonuses that are not readily apparent.
For example, pretty much every spell and effect dealing with extreme wind has exemptions for Large+ creatures.
Giving a race higher than normal stat boosts at lv1, fucking with bounded accuracy by increasing their max STR (CON is less important in the face of balance), giving them an extra 1d4 damage on every-single-hit ON TOP of the extra die that the Large size weapons they may wield is ridiculous.
You also have to realize that Large is not to Medium as Medium is to Small. Large takes up four times as much space as Medium, making it further unsuited for player characters.

>m-muh weapon/armor/tool proficiencies
Classes and backgrounds are more than enough to give whatever proficiencies you want. I concede that not having a skill proficiency from your race is a bummer, but neither does the Mountain Dwarf.
>>
>>49496772
Aren't there literally random rules for it in the DMG? Use the donjon site too.
>>
>>49496377
that's even stronger than the one I suggested what the fuck
>advantage on strength checks and saving throws
> Max for Str and Con is 4 points higher than normal.
are you a madman what is this
>>
>>49496503
1/3 spell progression is really really bad
>>
>>49496772
Themeatically, a dungeon is just a series of rooms and chambers but you need to consider a lot to make it more interesting than just Room A, Room B, Room C, ect.

Why was the dungeon built, and who by. How decrepid is it, are the rooms still in service and who by. If the original "owners" of this dungeon aren't around, who have moved in? A random tribe of kobolds? A warband of orcs who patrol the halls? Wild monsters and vermin? Has a blue dragon burrowed through walls at his leisure and made it into his new lair. Is it still infested by the magical constructs from the long-dead wizards?

Is the dungeon brazenly obvious, or is the entrance itself hidden in the wilderness, or even by magic illusions itself. You tell us what kind of idea you had and we'll throw some ideas at you.

What enemies do you want the players to fight, what is the end-goal/boss/chamber in the dungeon, what kind of environment is the dungeon in?
>>
>>49496766
Make their spells the type that alter the battleground or cause illusions, ie the spells that do things fighters can't already do in their own. Their spells should be a sacrifice of power for versatility, not power for elemental power.
>>
>>49496766
Different person here.

For starters, I would make it so that they trade 1 attack for a cantrip instead of getting a bonus action attack when they use their action for a cantrip. Greenflame Blade went a long way towards making the class that much better.

Being MAD is okay because the fighter gets double the stat boosts.

I think it's fine otherwise.

Looking over it again, I think it's fine.
>>
>>49494453
Oathbreaker Paladin, Fiend bladelock, and grab the spell Find Vehicle from the UA Modern Magic.
>>
>>49496792
>>49496816
The +1d4 extra damage is in leiu of extra die from large weapons. The "Largeness" of the class is built and balanced off the "Enlarge person" spell.
>>
>>49496918
It's still too much.

Look at how the Goliath is set up, that is how a Large size creature made PC looks.
>>
>>49496258
>The dungeon Master may permit the following variants
>MAY
"That is also in the SCAG. It's Official"
>>
>>49496956
The goliath is a fucking copout that people obviously aren't satisfied with or this discussion wouldn't be happening at all.
>>
>>49496503
Because most campaigns don't make it past 10th level, and because most people are too focused on Evocation to realize that Abjuration is full of spells that are amazing for martials.
>>
>>49496988
I feel like there's an impassable problem here where people want a creature race that feels better than the others without actually being mechanically superior, but that probably can't happen. You either have to give up the balance or the appeal of being a huge dude.
>>
>>49497042
It's not impassable you're just lazy and whiny.
>>
>>49496996
I've never seen a Eldrich knight use any spell other than Shield or Absorb Elements.
>>
>>49497073
My Eldritch Knight uses Magic Missile, Find Familiar, and Booming Blade, but yeah for the most part my spell slots are reserved for Shield and Absorb Elements.
>>
>>49496956
Goliath is fucking terrible, half-orc stats with "Hurr Durr I can carry good.".

If people were content with that shit then we wouldn't be talking about it, the entire point of this discussion is how would we make and balance a large PC race, turning around and saying "Hurpa durp first things make them Medium." kind of defeats the entire point.
>>
>>49497091
Find familiar is great utility for any spellcaster that can get it. But you don't actively use the spell in any sense of the word. Magic Missile is.. Okay but when would you ever actually cast it?
>>
With polearm master, do you add your attack dice to your second strike, or is it just a straight d4?
>>
>>49497097
You will never have a Large size balanced PC without changing the size rules themselves.
>>
>>49496918
You're missing the point. The real problem is the +max strength, because it messes with 5e's bounded accuracy, letting you have +2 to hit compared to other races. Which is a LOT.

>>49497091
How did you get Find Familiar? Last I checked it wasn't an evocation or abjuration spell.
>>
>>49497057
I'm just saying, if you want a Large race you may have to accept that it's going to be inherently unbalanced. That's fine for homebrew, it's your game, just realize that it's gonna happen.
>>
>>49497170
EK's can have 1 off-school spell for every 2 abjuration/evoke spells.
>>
>>49497161
I'm not sure what you mean by "attack dice," but the attack specifically does d4+str mod.

>>49497097
Look at how past editions dealt with large races:
4e: didn't have them
3e: gave them a huge ECL modifier
2e: gave detailed rules and then told you not to use them because they make no sense in any constructed setting (dungeons, buildings, vehicles)
So choose one of these, I guess. I'm leaning towards 2e's strategy.
>>
>>49497161
You get any bonus damage, like STR Mod, the +1 for it being a magical weapon, +1d4 from an allies crusader mantle, +2 from Barbarian rage, +10 from Greatweapon Master, ect. It all applies.
>>
>>49497161
Remember that you can take that bonus attack before your regular attack (as long as you use your action to attack, so the polearm master trigger is met). This means that sweeping the leg becomes a very flavorful and effective way of using the butt of your polearm.
>>
>>49497135
I use Magic Missile in a lot of situations, the fact that it automatically hits and has huge range can't be overlooked. Whenever I make an attack, there's a chance the attacks will miss and that I'll fail to accomplish anything that round, but that's not there with magic missile. There have been tons of times where I've been at such long range that it's the only thing I have that can attack that far (sword and board so no longbow), where I've had disadvantage on my normal attacks and didn't want to risk missing, or when we were up against an enemy spellcaster and I needed to hit them with something to break their concentration on a spell and the stakes were too high to risk missing the attack on top of the risk they'll succeed on concentration. Often times these scenarios of long range/attacks disadvantaged/enemy concentrating are combined together, furthering the value of an auto-hit spell in that scenario.
>>
>>49497210
That's what I meant, thanks.

>>49497216
Thanks.
>>
>>49497170
So do you feel that keeping the cap at 20 and just leaving them with Advantage to STR checks and saves, their "Large" weapons deal +1d4 is balanced for a large-sized PC race?
>>
>>49496772
>>49496885
What that guy said. Tell us your specific worries and insecurities about dungeon making and we will give you tips.

DO
-have a theme. Undead, goblinoids, dinosaurs, etc. This will have cosmetic effects (undead dungeon will be carved and built, goblins will be natural caves with built-on segments, dinosaurs is all natural, etc)
-have a sense of progression. Enemies get tougher, positions get more fortified, traps get more frequent.
-use real world stuff as inspiration. Look at big college campuses, look at disneyland, look at shopping malls, blueprints for large buildings, to see how people lay out structures and locations that cover large areas. Colleges will have campus maps often online to see what the purposes of the buildings are, or use Google maps.

DON'T
-make 1-to-1 recreations of these places. Not to avoid ripping off, but because it's a lot of effort, first of all, and they don't translate well size-wise to what your party is doing. The 1500 Sq ft cafeteria at a school will easily be a 50x50 ft mess hall in a goblin cave. ALSO- and this is something I've learned first hand, even if it makes sense for your location, do not have tons and tons of small, thematic rooms. Meaning no individual dorm rooms, no rows of small store fronts, etc. You WILL have a player that insists on going into every single one and asks if there is loot, and you will feel foolish telling him over and over no, it's just an ancient monk's bedroom.
-make everything just on one plane. Have slopes, ledges, pillars, balconies, for monsters and players to get to and make attacks from. And don't forget to make it accessible- the players will spend fifteen minutes coming up with a plan to get up a cliff then get up there and wonder how that asshole goblin got there to shoot at them.

If monsters would carry loot, roll on the loot table. If they have a hoard somewhere, when the players find it roll on the hoard table. Saves you work and worry.
>>
>>49497163
What about instead of giving the Goliath's Large feature has a plus, what about giving it has a negative trait?

Larger Than Life: For all roleplaying purposes, the Goliath counts has a Large creature. She must squeeze through corridors and entrances smaller than a Large. (Possibly losing some AC bonusses on DM's discreation).
The Goliath can't wield armor in the Small category or smaller, and if she wield a small or tiny weapon she loses her profiency bonus (applied to the weapon)
>>
>>49497257
Very true, breaking spellcaster concentration or possibly finishing off heavily wounded foes before they act seems nice, but I'd rather the wizard (Or better yet, a Wand) waste the spell slot on it. But I do agree it isn't too bad.
>>
>>49497275
To the note of theme, I have a personal habit of including an "Off-theme" section to most dungeons.

Goblin tribe infesting a dungeon, setting up their home all over the place, but a couple doors are barricaded with warnings plastered in goblin-writing. Past it is an even more abandoned wing of the dungeon untouched by even the goblins, inside are some unexpected threats including some sunken rooms partially, or even entirely flooded with water. Giant frogs, Insect swarms and even an insane bullywug shaman have been living in their own tiny ecosystem next to the goblins.

Bandits have been holed up in an ancient castle, but in one of the basement rooms they can hear a scratching. If the players investigate, one of the walls collapses down and a small team of kobold sappers roll out into the room intent on robbing the bandits vault. They flee at the sight of the PC's and give them sometihng optional to pursue if they wish to follow their tunnels back and figure out where they came from but ultimately serves as a 2-4 "room" distraction to mix it up a little bit.
>>
>>49497269
They don't need advantage on strength checks, being large sized already gives bonuses to grappling.
>>
>>49497279
>>49497210

I like the 2e route of giving detailed rules but then giving them a lot of penalties because being a size larger confers a lot of benefits.

Off the top of my head:
- entry into a lot of buildings and areas might be restricted due to size
- they would need weapons/armor that is specially constructed for them
- probably give them penalty to dex saves/or give them a dexterity score cap?
- disadvantage to attacks made with small weapons and they can use non-heavy weapons but on a crit it breaks?

just throwing out some ideas
>>
>>49497286
>wand of magic missiles
haha yeah no I will literally never get anything even remotely that strong or good
can't buy magic items in 5e a hurr durp a burp durrp :D
>>
>>49497390
I'd just make them boring and give the bonus damage from large weapons (double weapon damage dice). It's only an "issue" at 1st level and by a few levels in it's super boring and all those skills and racial abilities are way more fun and useful.
>>
>>49496503
Because, if you have not realized it, are largely wrong about class balance in this edition because the classes are clustered closer together.
>>
>>49497414
>Your DM doesn't give out uncommon items
Find a new DM.
>>
What do you think guys about the idea of not giving PC's magic weapons as loot, and instead making their actual gear gain magic powers via formidable achievements?
Imagine for example a low level knight that by sheer chance manages to roll a natural 20 on a dragon encounter just made to make them get a scare and he creatively roleplays managing to damage the dragon, just something like cutting a finger or something like that.
I would make the dragon spare him just to maintain a grudge and via the dragon's blood his sword gains a +1 on the elemental damage associated to the dragon's color.
it is a good idea?
>>
>>49497414
I kind of like the DM having a modicum of control over the magic items and the players not using the Magic Item list as another checklist for character planning.
>>
>>49496885
thanks
>>49497275
Ok so my first dungeon would be an ancient norse burial dungeon, which were basically also temples for the
death goddes Helfrida (it's all homebrew as you can see, humans in this part of the world were mostly based on norse culture and talked norse before aknowledging common). It's basically in the same theme of the usual skyrim dungeon with draugrs (i even have homebrewed those if anyone is interested).
This one could probabibly be just one little quest to have fun it.

Another dungeon that instead should be story heavy is a dwarven based.
Basically my dwarven pc comes from a mountain dwarven nation of 5 clans his family got betrayed blah blah, same old story. To enter the dwarven nation witout risking the mountains one has to travel through the "door" that connect the excint mega vulcano crater that is now where this dwarves live.
I was thinking to make it sort of like a labyrinth with various mini puzzles or dangers.
Tecnological progress in my world isn't at point of steam tecnology, at least not at fullest, just minor mining/smithing improvements.

Before the dwarves decided to fuck off the rest of the world they would have a regiment to controll the labyrinth to let merchants in to pass through.
>>
>>49497535
also for the first dungeon probably undead anmd stuff like that but nothing crazy, they're three pc withs no cleric and would probably explore it at level 5-7

For the dwarven dungeon i was maybe thinking about goblinoids or drows inflitrating and trying to get over it.

The other clans made a deal with a rogue drow who forsakened his heritage to kill the pc family in exchange of an item the father had (he was the king)
>>
>>49497269
That doesn't sound too broken, except remember that grappling is a strength check. But grappling is used rarely enough that as a DM I'd allow it just to see what happens.

>>49497390
Basically, yeah. Large characters seem interesting until you realize inns and dungeons have 7-foot ceilings.

>>49497525
Sounds like fun, as long as you don't overdo it. +1 damage certainly isn't over-the-top.
>>
>>49497525
Sounds like an interesting idea that could be terrible or great in execution.
>>
>>49497642
one of my pc has an ancient elven sword that she's slowingly bonding with and gaining powers with.
If you're careful it's an awesome thing.
>>
>>49493579
Um you could.

But RO works with "prestige classes" (one class transitions into the next class tier) a lot so you'll have to work with it and tweak it a little.

Take the RO classes and design them around taking 5 levels to get all their features.

Make a prequisite of the higher tier classes needing their lower tier equivalent.
>>
>>49492851
how can i make money mean more to my pcs?
Aside from buying potions some of the party isn't that interested in the money.
>>
>>49497661
Is the sword hot?
>>
>>49497683
goddammit.
It looks ruffly like Thranduil's swords, so yeh, it's pretty hot.
>>
>>49497693
What would it look like if it was a woman?
>>
>>49497739
tauvriel or whatever
>>
>>49497748
It wouldn't have like steel colored skin and silver hair and gem colored eyes?
>>
>>49497679
Companies, guilds, gambling, strongholds, followers, high society dealings, bribery...
>>
File: Fi_Artwork.png (2MB, 2391x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Fi_Artwork.png
2MB, 2391x2392px
>>49497777
You don't want a sword waifu, trust me.
>>
>>49497783
fair point and thank you a lot, but what about item wise? aside form the standard armor and weapons.
>>
>>49497799
I don't want a swordfu as shit as this one sounds like anyway.
>>
>>49497526
>I kind of like the DM having a modicum of control over the magic items
A modicum of control? He has 100% absolute tyranical control. 8th level fighter whose entire party does not have a single magic weapon between them reporting in.
>>
>>49497811
wow ok.
>>
>>49497815
I hope your pc with the ancient elven sword realises how shit her swordfu is and how you're cucking her out of a proper blade relationship.
>>
>>49497802
PHB pg. 159 has a pretty large list of stuff and prices aren't fixed.
>>
>>49497679
LET THEM BUY MAGIC ITEMS NIGGER
>>
>>49497814
Have you considered talking outside the game to him like an adult?
>>
>>49497535
>>49497578
Ok, sounds like you've got the ideas down pretty solid. I'm assuming now that you're getting stuck actually drawing out rooms and routes.

You know what you should do? Peruse maps of those dungeons from the game (I bet you could find them on a wiki) and use them. Take pieces that you like from different ones and put them together.

They start by entering the big broken down temple. Couple of draugr in the entryway. They find a hole or trapdoor or corridor that goes down into the catacombs. From there it's tunnels with draugr sleeping in the walls like in the game.

Think of how many combats you want to happen in here. Depending on your players and how long your sessions go, you can probably get through 2-4 combats in one session, so decide how many sessions you see this going for. If you wanna do 2 sessions with five combats, pick enough parts from those game maps with places that make sense for those combats to occur. Then you're good to go.

From what I remember of skyrim, you've got the draugr in the holes in the wall- that could be in a hallway. You could have one in a larger, more open room where they come out of coffins and there's a catwalk. You could have one with wandering draugr on a second level with a gap with a drawbridge- some on the party's side to fight as they extend it, some on the far side with those oil flasks to knock down. The boss draugr would have his own chamber like they typically do.

I don't recommend placing loot in any way similar to how they do in the game. Instead of trash containers every five feet, have a couple set spots with some coins. Maybe decide a couple draugr used to be craftsmen and have toolkits on them or in their coffins.
>>
>>49497828
hello there racist asshole
also no you mad ass
>>
>>49494453
>>49494447
>Spirit of Vengance
Well, gee, I dunno
>>
>>49494453
>>49494447
>hispaniclittlegirlcomesupwithasolutionthatsatisfiesbothpartsinaningenouswaynoonerealizedbeforeandthatmakeseveryonearoundlifterupinunanimousjoy.gif
>>
>>49497840
Thank you so much that actually helps incredibly, I forgot to add that i alreadyhave drawn the burial ground which is sort to say at normal level, it is just like the ones in skyrim, but it has instead at the center the statue of the goddes with a small fountain of some sort, i was maybe thinking ho having the statue something to do with the entrance to the dungeon and maybe as soon as they touche the statue to have a bunch of draugr on that level to wake up (some of them would be visibly asleep on a throne or even o top of a table as if they recall how they used to get drunk in their life.
>>
So I want to make a wood elf Monk/Ranger (using the rerevised ranger UA).
Basically background is :
He killed his apprentice brother to defend some innocent chick.

His master got so pissed that he threw him into orc infested wilds to die a horrible death.

PC survives thanks to a passing human ranger who was scouting out the orc raiders.

Decides Ranger is new master and learns from him .

After helping to ridd that particular area of orcs he decided to head out into the world out of curiosity because outside his monastery life and his ranger training he knows nothing about the world.

Long Death monk 6/Hunter 3.

Favoured enemy humanoids.

Duelling fighting style (mainly using a shortsword)

Proficiency: flute, herbalist kit, athletics, survival, medicine.

Stats:
10 Str
16 Dex +2(racial)+2(ASI)=20 Dex
13 Con
10 Int
16 Wis+1(racial)=17 Wis
11 Cha
>>
>>49496258
Why wouldn't you allow winged tiefling?
>>
>>49497896
That was funny.
But seriously
>PorqueNoLosDos.gif
>>
>>49497939
It fucks over encounters for around 8 levels.
>>
>>49497814
>entire party does not have a single magic weapon between them
Daily reminder that 5e is perfectly balanced around not having pluses. Find creative uses for your wonderous items like a normal person.

>>49497925
Did you have a specific question? It seems fine.
>>
>>49492851
i've been studying the revised ranger. The deep stalker seems to eb the weakest so i've tried to come up with somethign to help ti a bit.
On 7thlevel i would ass advantage on attack rolls if you're 13ft higher than the target you're attacking, so to stimulate the player to actually find advantage points and you know, be a sniper.
I was also thinking about having some changes to the spell, having some more offensive or defensive spells.

What do you think?
>>
>>49497962
The problem isn't not having +1. The problem is getting shafted by resistance.
>>
File: 1467394619491.jpg (142KB, 709x800px) Image search: [Google]
1467394619491.jpg
142KB, 709x800px
>>49492900
Neither, because I'm not an edgelord.
>>
>>49497959
I allowed an Aarakocra in LMoP and I had no problems with it.
>>
>>49497535
>>49497578
Ok, what I'm picturing for the dwarf stuff is, this secret door was once the entrance to the trade road that led into one of the old Dwarven cities, which after the current dwarf ruler "united the clans" or what have you (by means of utilizing underhanded drow assassins or the like) moved everybody into the volcano city. The drow were given free reign of the old city, preying on trade caravans attempting to use the road, and now has largely been abandoned but everyone but those drow. Or goblins, or blah blah. Right? And the dwarf king isn't letting anybody in but the party wants in so they're taking the abandoned trade road.

First, find the door and open it. The trade road is a long carved tunnel. It's got guard houses carved into the sides, it's got peepholes, it's got gaps in the ceiling to pour boiling oil, it's got porticullises. The party is going to be going in and out of the tunnel into these side areas to open portcullises or fuck up the bad guys thay are in them.

Get through here, end up in the abandoned city. I'm picturing like a big amphitheater with buildings on each level, and they're trying to go down because there's a road at the bottom that leads to volcano town. There are drow in the buildings, with a boss drow at the bottom, so they're sneaking through slicing necks or barreling through smashing heads. React appropriately- someone tries to raise the alarm if they're seen, and maybe boss drow will come up with his officers to deal with the party.

The buildings can be simple, just squares with one room. They party travels through because they're trying to get to staircases that you place in different sections. Not one big staircase going all the way down, just takes you down one level and they're gonna have to move several hundred feet to get to the next staircase. The buildings are simple because you don't know how part the players will go on any one level, they may screw around or look for loot or clues. Cont
>>
>>49498010
>Shiterlizzi
Fuck off.
>>
>>49497925
>>49497962
Well I wanted to make sure I broke nothing.

Against humanoids I get +3 With the shortsword and +1 with unarmed strikes on the bonus action so it's: 1d6+3+Dex mod+1d6+3+dex mod piercing damage + 1d6+1 bludgeon damage per turn (do correct me if I'm wrong as this is my second character up till now as I only played a Red Dragon Sorcerer for my first game).

We start the campaign at lvl 9 as far as I was told.
Is this too much damage per turn at this level? (Minimum of 17 and maximum of 32 damage per round).
I also didn't choose the Hunter feature yet and would like an oppinion on what would work best for this.
>>
File: 1253552.png (271KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
1253552.png
271KB, 950x950px
>>49492900
I like multiple varieties of fey- ranging from terrifying to cute.
>>
>>49498019

One time I did a stupid thing and had no consequences so everybody should do stupid things
>>
>>49498023
So you bullshit the houses. Dwarves are utilitarian, they can have plain houses. When the party is approaching a house, flip a coin to see if there's drow in there or something, so if they make perception checks to see if it's safe to go in, you can tell em "you see the glow of a fire/hear a conversation".

Sometimes the house can be another building. Stockpile of food or loot, an armory, a jailhouse, a place they cage their pet spiders. Sometimes a house will have a wall broken down to connect to another house to be barracks, sometimes the basement will be dug out to take them down a level for free, sometimes it'll have scaffolding that takes them back up a level but lets them walk over a patrol that would be in their way if they just walked on the lower level on the way to the staircase. Think chutes and ladders, or snakes and ladders depending on where you're from.

>>49497913
Sounds good, but if you want the trigger to wake the draugr be touching the statue, you really gotta sell it as touchable. Make the statue sitting on a wheel with chains that visibly connect to the door, with holes for poles in the wheel like you're raising an anchor. Something like that. You don't want to rely on your party touching it without it having an obvious function, because otherwise they'll go "huh, nice setpiece" and walk right by it.
>>
What's the harder race/class/build to play?
>>
>>49498023
Ok to specify better, i'm running an homebrew of LMOP where nezznar made a deal with the otehr clans to kill the pc family which was the king of the clans and had a pcik made out of a god giant's leg bone. He wants that item to use it in phandelver which in my camapign is an ancient giant burial ground and nezznar wants to invoke vecna to bring back his lover who was killed because gays aren't accepted in the drow matriarchy (yeh i know).
so long story short this is going to be used after nezznar is killed to have th epc go back and deal with the traitors.

they way you have imaginated the dungeon though is probably much better of what i thought. basically i got the ispiratiuon from Moria but was just make it a labirynth full fo puzzles wher eyour idea is much more clever, though i still wouldn't have it be a giant city, a giant market maybe though.

The drow would be there because they're hunting nezznar and are waiting for the right time to infiltrate the dwarves, not knowing that nezznar hasn't been there since 30 years ago and he's in phandelver (they're obviously not the only hunting group, so maybe they're just trying again to check if he has come back in the years).

Or maybe they just don't care for nezznar and only want to infiltrate the dwarves to invade them later since in my world drows especially ahte dwarves.

In any case thank you so much.
>>
Anons? There's a feat from 3.5 called Energy Substition, a metamagic feat that let you trade out the energy type for attack spells, that I want to try and convert. I could use advice on how to balance it and on if it can be made to work for casters other than the Wizard and Sorcerer.

Elemental Transubtitution
You have mastered the art of changing one form of elemental energy into another, making your offensive spells more versatile.
Prerequisite: Must be able to cast spells
Effect: You can change the damage type of a valid spell to instead inflict Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison or Thunder instead of its original damage type. A valid spell is one that inflicts Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison or Thunder damage as a default and which does not randomize its effects - Fire Bolt is valid, Prismatic Ray is not. Implementing this feat depends on your class.
* Wizard: When preparing spells, you can choose to add substituted spells to your list of prepared spells from your list of valid spells known. Each substituted spell uses its own spell slot to prepare; "Leaping Inferno" (Chain Lightning substituted to Fire damage) is a separate spell prepared to Chain Lightning, for example.
*Sorcerer: You can enact the benefits of this feat on a valid spell by spending 1 sorcery point when casting.
>>
>>49498112
>Stupid thing
Dude, at 5th level almost every arcane caster has flight, Sorcerers pretty much have it at will thanks to their sorcery points.

Flight at low levels was never a problem, why is now in 5e?
>>
>>49498112
If fly can ruin your games maybe your games weren't as good as you think
>>
>>49498121
Helfrida is ALWAYS depitched witha sword in the right hand a sword poitning downwards and sometimes has an apple int he toher, maybe i cna connect this to the entrance,or simply have the sword be the trigger for the door and make it visible that there are chains ont he base of the pool that go under the statue near the sword.
>>
>>49498135
Sure sure, I'm just giving you my thought process to dungeon building stuff basically, some shortcuts or tools to think about building them so you're not left feeling overwhelmed. You don't have to use any of my examples verbatim, as long as you understand the way I approached it you can apply that to any of your story materials.
>>
>>49497959
>Small beastmaster on pteranodon
>>
>>49498184
I know and again, thanks, it's really helping.
It's so nice to see that not everyone on /tg/ is a shitposter about hot eleves.
>>
>>49498136
Some types are way more common than others though.
>>
>>49497973
guys, anyone?
>>
>>49497999
Why don't you silver your weapons then? It only costs 100 gp, which is less than any magic item higher than uncommon would be.
>>
Is really necesary as a character which role is fight at melee to have Str or Dex, depending on the weapons, at 20 at some moment of the game?
>>
>>49498217
SILVER OVERCOMES RESISTANCE TO NON-SILVERED, NOT NON-MAGICAL
readthebook.jpg
>>
>>49498144
>>49498158
Actually aren't archery Fighters the hot new thing nowadays? What's stopping them from just going pewpew on a mage or a bird dude or a bird dude mage?
>>
>>49498206
Yeah, but what happens if you want to make, say, an Ice Mage out of an Evoker Wizard? There's, like, maybe a handful of cold-based spells. This would open up a bigger spell-book by letting you prepare ice versions of shocking grasp, scorching ray, acid storm, chain lightning, incendiary cloud, all those goodies.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is move away from 3.5's feat tax-based approach of "you pick one energy type each time you choose this feat; you can then turn any elemental spell (spell with the Acid, Cold, Electricity or Fire descriptor) to use this energy type instead" to more of a "you can freely change any one type of energy into any other type of energy, but you can't use this to mess around with randomized spells like Prismatic Ray or the like".
>>
>>49498224
1) Is English not your native language?
2) In 5e? Ehh, it's not super important to have your primary stat at 20 for a martial character (fighter, ranger, monk, etc). Your attack bonus naturally scales faster than the AC of your average opponent so you don't have to eke out every point you can get.
>>
>>49498136
Way too strong for sorcerer. Draconic lineage, red dragon, make everything fire. Bonus damage that can't be resisted on every single spell.
>>
>>49498296
Hmm... good point. There is the problem that, for example, Acid and Poison Dragon Sorcerers have pretty much bupkiss in the way of spells, and this feat was intended to alleviate that, but maybe just houseruling/homebrewing more spells of the right nature is better...

Really, is it just me, or does this feat really make more sense as being exclusive to the Wizard? We've seen race-restricted feats in the form of Deep Magic for Svirfneblin, so class ones aren't that unthinkable.
>>
>>49498272
What's wrong with the "change to one type" approach for an ice mage?
>>
>>49498334
In that case it'd be better to make it a replacement feature for Evocation Wizards.
>>
>>49495344

Not them, but I would suggest DMG pg 246-247 under the heading "Objects," which provides a pretty simple but nigh-universal system for assigning an AC and HP to destructible objects so that they can be destroyed by any form of damage. Well worth a bookmark, IMO.
>>
How much would the humble Wolf rise in CR if they were given Mobile or similar?
>>
>>49498072
Sounds about right, except I'm not sure why you get +3 on shortswords and +1 on unarmed strike. Is this a neo ranger thing?

>>49498010
>Fairies in mythology kidnap children and mess with people's flow of time unless appeased by various rituals
>No thanks, I'd rather have prancing, pipe-playing animu girls
>>
>>49498423
The problem is that you don't get as many feats in 5e as you did in 3e, or even 4e. Letting you switch energy as you will doesn't prevent you from just picking a favored damage type and sticking with it, it prevents you from needed to spend multiple feat slots to get access to "the same but different" power.

>>49498443
But all of the Evoker features are already good. It's just that elemental blasting spells suck if you don't want to concentrate purely on fire, and this would probably be more readily accepted by DMs than someone outright asking to learn "fireball but doing acid damage" or "incendiary cloud but doing poison damage".
>>
>>49498211
I don't think most people have played around with the new ranger enough to judge its balance. Ask again later, I guess?

>>49498281
If you crunch some numbers, every +1 is like at least +10% to damage on average. It's not absolutely required but it's definitely desirable.

>>49498186
>Implying there's anything wrong with that
>>
>>49498476
I like Legend of Zelda's depiction of fairies. They're weird, mysterious and mythical but also mostly benevolent and kind.
>>
>>49497390
Crits don't mean your tap into nuclear power to generate force. They mean it's a really masterfully executed attack. They'd be the LAST kind of thing to cause weapon breakage.
>>
>>49498510
You're already spending one of your limited feats on the ability to change energy type. Why add an additional cost? If every caster can do it for free when they cast a spell (assuming they have the feat), then it's internally balanced. It also lets poison draconic sorcerers get a leg up on damage.

Might depend the caster-martial divide though.
>>
>>49492912
just want to double this>>49493310

if your dm isn't making you fight wizards/letting you look for scrolls, OR you dont really want the extra cantrips, go chain

but if you think you'll even get a few, and/or you get ones other casters in the party arnt eligible for in some way, go tome
i personally just like tome better, but the improved familiar choices are solid on their own, even if it would just be for invisibility
>>
>>49498590
Um, what additional cost? I suggested that wizards would need to prepare substituted spells as "separate" and that sorcerers can make the switch-up on the fly but it costs them sorcery points, but that's all I suggested.

Actually... I kind of don't see how it "overpowers" Red Dragon Sorcerers, seeing as how most of their elemental attack spells already DO deal fire damage. Blue or Black Dragon Sorcerers would benefit from this feat a lot more, since there's far fewer electric and acid spells.
>>
>>49498630
I think the argument was that, with the sorcery point cost, red dragon sorcs have a slight advantage since they have to convert less spells to get their bonus damage. Removing the cost removes the problem. Removing the cost for wizards as well makes it even. It also means you don't have to think up a way to make it work for warlocks.
>>
>>49497973

5e works in 5 ft increments, and personally I let every high- ground sniper have advantage, because it's there to represent advantages. Itd be like a class feature that makes putting poison on weapons cause some kind of poisoning on hit, it's a given.
>>
>>49498128
Elf wizard who only uses evocation aoe and centers it around himself every time
>>
>>49498652
Ah. Good point. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

>>49492920
Just want to give this topic a little nudge and remind folks I'm still interested in working on these races and making them fit. I'm particularly keen to see how to get some of the weirder races like Fey'ri, Bladeling, Tanarukk and Rogue Modron to work.
>>
>>49498471
I think Mobile would play out mostly like Flyby, so... according to the DMG, it doesn't impact CR.
>>
>>49498678
Well since it is not stated as a rule i think i will keep it like this.
>>
>>49498848
Let me guess - you wrote it as 4m and are translating for the Americans?
>>
>>49498678
5e is explicitly not divided into 5 foot increments by default. Grids are an optional rule. Difficult terrain and effects like Plant Growth require X feet of movement spent for every 1 foot traveled.
>>
>>49498869
No i did it the other way around and check it if it was 4 meters, i guess your question has some racial component since we are on 4chan?
>>
>>49498900
>racial component
What
Seriously what
Most of the world uses meters, why the fuck do I need to be racist to bring them up?
This isn't /b/. Have some faith in people.
>>
Hey /5eg/ I've got a player who's going to be an Eldritch Knight, but feels that only knowing abjuration or evocation spells are too limiting, especially since he's a fighter and that he should be dealing damage physically, not with magic.

If you were a DM and a player asked this of you, would you be alright with it? I'm on the fence and not sure which way to rule.
>>
>>49499214
If you don't mind, say he should pick another school in place of evocation, and follow all the other rules. Now you have an eldritch knight who can specialize in defense and one other kind of magic.
>>
Can I use Shape Water to create a simple Ice weapon (Mace/Hammer)?

I don't know much about RL physic but thick enough ice is pretty hard too right?
>>
>>49499214
There's been some discussion in this thread already. The short of it is, those schools were chosen because abjuration is great on a fighter, evocation is decent when you need to make a powerful ranged attack once in a while but shouldn't be your main source of damage, and other schools of magic give the fighter abilities he shouldn't have and belong to other classes.

>>49499280
Maybe this, but I'd limit the choices to conjuration or necromancy, to maintain the focus on combat-related spells. The EK was specifically to not have out-of-combat utility spells. If you want fighting ability and utility magic, just pick bard or multiclass into wizard.
>>
>>49499298
I would allow it. But it'd have a chance to break on every attack.
>>
>>49499327
This. Probably have it break after one attack, actually. Ice can cause some damage but is typically pretty brittle in my experience.
>>
>>49499315
>If you want fighting ability and utility magic, just pick bard or multiclass into wizard.
Or go arcane trickster.
>>
>>49499214
no. If he want other school of magic, he can pick those at a certain level.

How is having a choice between abjuration and evocation detriment to his "dealing damage physically" role?

Sound like he is a munchkin who want all transmutation spell all day on top of all the fighter goodies.
>>
>>49499298
I honestly see no reason why not, its just a more flavorful way of owning a normal mace, aside from it being impossible to forcefully disarm you (ie in prison or something you're still armed) but as a sorc/wizard/druid if you are able to shape water, than you'd do more damage using other cantrips. I'm a super lenient dm at times but id definitely allow it
>>
>>49499214
>especially since he's a fighter and that he should be dealing damage physically
Then maybe he shouldn't play an EK. :^)
>>
>>49499298
Ever swung a big thick icicle? They're nowhere near as string as rock. And even a hafted weapon made entirely of rock would break in one swing. If you had to make a wrapon out of nothing but ice, your best bet would be one of those paleolithic shaftless handaxes. I guess you could shape a head of ice around a wooden shaft, but then you could just swing the shaft as a club.
>>
>>49499214
The restriction exists for a reason.
They can pick aroundabout four or so unrestricted spells in their lifetime.

However, you can ask what spells they want instead and maybe allow it.

At level 3, you'd probably want 'absorb elements' and 'shield' which easily allows for your free option to be anything you like, so I don't see why they should complain.
>>
File: Elf Knight.jpg (116KB, 827x615px) Image search: [Google]
Elf Knight.jpg
116KB, 827x615px
>>49498476
Many legends also had fair folk who did nice things for people or were just neutral spirits. People who act like fey need to be evil horrors are just being edgy.
>>
>>49499798
Yeah, thinking about it, any save-or-suck or major buff spell that requires concentration becomes that much better on an Eldritch Knight, considering they have fuckhuge AC and proficiency in Constitution saves, to maintain concentration.
>>
>>49499910
Fey should be unpredictable. None of them should be exactly what they seem 100% of the time and have values and ethics perfectly matchinthuman ones. If a fey is kindly and hospitable to humans 99% of the time, that's fine, but that 1% of the time it should do something even the most messed-up human would have trouble even conceiving.
>>
>>49499910
I didn't say they need to be evil. But (at least in my opinion) they do need to be otherworldly and inhuman, even when they're benevolent.

If you really think about it, Cinderella's Fairy Godmother turning animals into people (and back again) is really damn creepy.
>>
>>49492952
You. I like you.
>>
>>49499936
THere're some great spells such as haste for them and it's only deserved that picking a spell such as 'haste' has the consequence of limiting what else they can get.

Evocation spells suck on an EK.
Abjuration spells can be good, mostly for survivability.

But yes, if they land a 'save or suck' spell then they can hold concentration pretty well considering they have constitution save proficiency. Though, they typically have less int than a wizard.

You should allow content such as 'absorb elements' and 'green flame blade' to make EK more competitive with battlemaster, though.
>>
>>49492900
The idea of both existing in the same universe is fun. Something so "Heehee magic" being both awesome and awful makes it unpredictable to players.
>>
>>49499994
I think fey should be somewhat predictable, but in a way that's illogical or intuitive to humans. I've heard stories of fairies being driven off by clothing, iron and bread. Some trees may be cut down but cutting down other's will bring upon you the wrath of the fairies. Why? It's a mystery. They follow laws that don't make sense to us. If you know the rules a fairy abides by, they can be appeased or controlled, but if you don't their actions seem mysterious, chaotic and malicious.

>>49500027
I feel you. I was more responding to the first poster after OP how acted like fey must be terrifying monsters.
>>
>>49500415
>First poster after OP
No no, that was me. And I stand by it. They can be eldritch abominations, but they don't have to be, as long as they're at least a bit creepy.

And I agree with your response to >>49499994 - fairies traditionally obey a lot of rules, it's just that those rules don't seem to make any sense without a deep and hard-to-obtain understanding of their nature.
>>
>>49500415
Need a hand, /tg/. I have to make a Drow Way of the Shadows Monk to play in a one-shot event campaign which starts in 5 hours and I've only played 5e once before (with pre-gen characters). I need someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong/have forgotten something important.

Level 5
Drow (DEX+2,CHA+1,Proficiency Perception,Darkvision 120ft,Advantage vs Charm, Sleep, proficiency rapiers shortswords and hand crossbows)

Monk (1d8 HD/Simple and Shortsword proficiency/Artisan's Tools (needle and thread) proficiency/Strength and Dexterity proficiency)
Stats:
Proficiency Bonus: +3
Ki points: 5
Unarmed damage: 1d6
STR 10
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 10
HP 38
AC (with Unarmored Defense): 16
Move Speed (>>> Movement): 40 ft
Skills:
Acrobatics,Insight (Monk),Deception,Stealth (Background:Spy)

Equipment :
Shortsword
Dungeoneer's pack
15gp

Stuff he can do:
Unarmed Attack+6, 1d6+3
Dancing Lights at will, Faerie Fire 1pd, Darkness 1pd (Drow)
Extra attack
Martial Arts bonus attack
Flurry of Blows (1kp)
Patient Defense (1kp)
Step of the Wind (1kp)
Reaction: Deflect Missiles (1kp for return)
Reaction: Slow Fall
Stunning Strike (DC 14) (1kp)
(Monk)
Minor Illusion (at will)
Darkness,Darkvision,Silence, Pass Without Trace (2kp)
(Way of the Shadows)

Other:
Thief's Tools proficiency (Background:Spy)
Feature:Criminal Contact (Background:Spy)

I also have a question. I wanted to fluff the guy as a Matron's personal assassin: You don't want to show him off at a social event, but give him a target and he'll make it disappear. To that end, I wanted to give him some poisons to use (drow are supposed to be master poisoners, after all) but in the PHB at least the only thing I can find is a "Basic" poison that deals piddly damage and which I cannot afford in any case. Is there something else in a supplement anywhere?
>>
What CR is a player character?
>>
>>49500957
Not applicable in this edition.
CR isn't even particularly indicative of difficulty anymore, it's more like how much experience the enemy is worth.
>>
>>49500978
Fine.

How much is a player character worth in experience?
>>
>>49500978
He's probably trying to use a PC as an enemy for the players.
>>
What's the tankiest way to build a pure caster? I only have the PHB, and I am a dwarf.
>>
>>49500937
Pls help.
>>
reposting the roguelike me and my friends put up on dms guild
>>
>>49501031
Lucky Diviner Wizard Halfling. Seriously.
>>
What rituals should I try to pick up first as a tomelock?
>>
>>49501093
I am a dwarf, I do not have any other race option.
>>
>>49501031
Mountain Dwarf Abjurer Wizard with the Tough feat. Medium Armor, arcane ward, defensive spells, and better hit points.
>>
>>49501113
For dwarves, I'd recommend Abjurer Wizard. I'd also say to take a look at the Dragon Sorcerer, if you're going Hill Dwarf instead of Mountain Dwarf.
>>
>>49500986
No idea. There's no real guidelines for it as far as I can recall. Most NPC's listed have abilities that players simply can't get sometimes, like a Defensive Duelist equivalent that world for all weapons.
>>49501001
I figured as much.
>>
File: 1461114961676.jpg (198KB, 880x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1461114961676.jpg
198KB, 880x1100px
Does a creature that passes its save against a spell like Charm Person or the effect of Hypnotic Gaze know that there was an attempt to affect it with magic unless it can piece together any motions or verbal cues by the caster?
Also, does a creature that was affected by Hypnotic Gaze realize that it was charmed? Or could it only learn by being told "Hey, that dude did something strange to you and you totally zoned out while they talked to you."
>>
>>49497257
Only justification i have for having it my DM is allowing me to make a magic weapon with a damage type other than slash, bludgeon, or piercing and magic missle happened to be my only damaging spell besides ray of frost.

So im slowly making a greatsword that deals force damage
>>
>>49497666
I wonder if there's already a homebrew system about this.
If not, seems like you'll need to adapt a truckload of spells and mechanics.
>>
File: SPOILERS.png (26KB, 904x634px) Image search: [Google]
SPOILERS.png
26KB, 904x634px
>>49501174
>>49501001
That's a shame. I've been trying to balance a modified slightly-more-powerful caster for a game tomorrow, and I don't want to overdo it. If a group of 5th level characters encounter a group of these (4-5 of them) should I expect a wipe?

This IS supposed to be an incredibly difficult encounter.

Spoilered in case one of my players is about.
>>
>>49501198
You know when you make a save against a spell effect, the rest is up to the DM.
>>
>>49501031
Moon Druid.
>>
>>49501258
>The Archontisa
Just call it The Lady or something, for fuck's sake.
>>
File: bane wraith.png (956KB, 1165x923px) Image search: [Google]
bane wraith.png
956KB, 1165x923px
Bane wraith fag here again. How's this for a writeup?
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkZ6RtAVp
>>
>>49501281
I won't be using that in session, I'll be using a proper name.

Sue me, I like fancy mock-Greek words.
>>
>>49495952
How do you feel in general about characters that try to minimize risk?
>>
>>49501258
I'm not exactly an expert on what players should look like at any given level; I haven't played a ton of 5e. If you're putting 4-5 5th level characters against 4-5 5th level characters- well, it'll probably be a challenge. At least they don't have any AOE.

There's several factors that are relevant for combat, too. Party composition(and the actual details of the PCs), terrain of the battle, possibility of stealth on either side. Possibility of the PCs talking it out instead of fighting. There's a lot to consider when trying to balance encounters.

Also, if any of the PCs die in combat, they're probably boned.
>>
>>49501342
The complexity of the situation is part of the problem. I've already thrown an obvious secondary win condition, and I don't mind if a PC or two dies during this encounter, they knew the risks.

I just don't want to WHOOPS PARTY WIPE
>>
>>49501304
>Sue me, I like fancy mock-Greek words.
It IS a Greek word. It means exactly what I told you, but is a lot more obnoxious without context.
>>
>>49501370
I think giving you context would be more obnoxious.
>>
So correct me if I am mistaken, but could fighter 11/monk 2/revised beastmaster ranger 5 get you up to 7 attacks in one round?
>>
>>49501456
Fighter 17 can get you up to 9.
>>
>>49501370
The guy asked for help, not for you to sperg out over his placeholder name.

>>49501356
Ultimately, that's up to how you play them, how your players play, what tools your players/enemies have, and what tools you provide them with.

For example, if the terrain's a long, narrow bridge, your creatures probably have a disadvantage against the party, as they have few(if any) ranged attacks, while the party probably has several.

Or, maybe a character or two in the party has a way to turn the surrounding terrain into something advantageous. Like knocking out a bridge / collapsing a tunnel to force these death clerics to have to go around the long(and narrow) way.

Basically, statblocks seem fine, give the PCs ways of getting tactical advantage if they're the types to think about that sort of thing, and if they aren't, well. IDK.
I dunno.
>>
>>49501471
Well if we're counting action surge, then my previous example could do 12
>>
>>49501489
I reserve the right to sperg whenever someone abuses my mother tongue, thank you very much.
At any rate.in the void it's a decent encounter. Player reaction and environment are what will make the difference.
>>
>>49501535
Are you actually an olive-skinned goat fucker, or were you born in chicago and just like to complain?
>>
>>49501651
gtfo with that kind of racism. /pol/ isn't welcome.
>>
>>49501651
>>>/pol/
>>
>>49501651
We're not particularly olive-skinned and you've confused us with the Scots (or, as they would say, the Welsh, or, as they would say, the English) in regards to goatfucking, but yes, I am in debt sorry I meant Greek.
>>
>>49501732
>that spoiler
At least you're honest about it. Thanks for being a good sport, anon.
>>
I need help anons. is there a page or something that'll help me create a balanced Variant Tiefling?
I'm trying to make a "Ice Demon" flavored Tiefling.
>>
What's the best weapon for a monk of loviatar? I wanted to use a whip, but for some stupid reason it's martial.
>>
>>49501864
Sickle? A rusty and serrated dagger? A quarterstaff that's been carved with small "thorns" all over?
Sky's the limit, anon.
>>
>>49501839
What's wrong with just replacing fire resistance with cold resistance and making Hellish Rebuke deal cold damage?

Element-swapping isn't always balanced but cold resistance is slightly less useful whilst cold damage is slightly more useful, so you should be fine.
>>
File: 195ni2mlgbdvdjpg.jpg (61KB, 636x368px) Image search: [Google]
195ni2mlgbdvdjpg.jpg
61KB, 636x368px
Since no rules for flying combat exist in 5e and flyby is only for 3.5 how are you meant to do Aarakocra combat?

Flying attacks with disadvantage?
Do they provoke AOO?
>>
>>49501885
That quarterstaff seems like a cool idea, especially with how it would hurt the monks own hands.
>>
>>49501911
That was the plan.
>>
>>49500937
>>49501072
You won't find details on poison anywhere. It'd unbalance combat, anyway.

Expect it as similar to magical items which the DM 'might' consider giving (likely in longer campaigns, or as an option in one-shots if specified).

Everything seems okay, but your stats look slightly low for a level 5 character. Did you skip the ASI or spend it on some feat?
>>
>>49497666
>It's late game
>Have all these abilities available for use
>Pick the strongest one and repeatedly cast it because there aren't any cooldowns and any mana requirements are so low that it doesn't matter.
>MFW level 20 fighter is spamming Bowling Bash.
>>
>>49501941
Wow, I didn't expect anyone to reply at this point. Well, if nobody has poison, that's alright I guess.
I got my stats through point buy at 10/16/14/10/15/9 and used the ASI to raise WIS and CHA to 16 and 10, respectively. What should an average array at that level be?
>>
How many of you guys allow "monstrous races" as PC's, like playable goblins or kobolds or orcs or some shit?
>>
>>49501981
Depends on setting.
I'm not being snarky here - if I run a Forgotten Realms campaign, I have little patience for special snowflake races. But in my own homebrew, it makes as much sense or more to have drow or hobgoblin characters as it does a wood elf.
>>
>>49501903
All non-swimming combat is normal combat.
Of course they provoke AoO.
>>
>>49501981
Not in my setting.
Some "out there" races, sometimes, if it fits the campaign.
But no, Orcs and Bugbears do not adventurers make.
>>
File: 1473213790635.jpg (212KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1473213790635.jpg
212KB, 1440x810px
In my games, I let EK's pick between Evocation and Abjuration -- so Abjuration -- for their first magical school and then they can pick whichever school as their second.
Same with AT's.
>>
>>49502017
>Implying Enchantment or Transmutation aren't going to be the secondary choice 90% of the time
>>
>>49501973
>>49501941
Poisons are in the DMG on pg.257, and most of the time a DM should require a player to buy at least the poisons price worth of components (and maybe a recipe) before letting them use a poisoners kit to make it.
>>
>>49502058
So, if a player wants to use poisons, his only route is to directly ask the DM what he can make and how?
That doesn't seem very sound from a design perspective.
>>
>>49498042
You have the shittest of tastes.
>>
>>49502107
It's sounder then you think. It prevents the PCs from just saying "I make poison during the long rest" then busting out a truth serum from nowhere. PDF related is just something neat.
>>
>>49502296
What's it like being wrong all the time, anon?
>>
>>49502332
You tell me?
>>
>>49497973
I'm playing a deep stalker soonish, and have no clue what you're talking about. New beastmaster seems broken as shit, so don't compare to that. There have been posts about DS being OP, and I can see why. With combats rarely going beyond 3 turns, you're going to get that attack about every second time you attack, maybe 30-40% of the time depending on how sneaky your party is and stuff but with advantage on initiative it seems unlikely you'll be hitting targets that have already gone. With Hunter's Mark and having 3 attacks quite reliably on the first turn of combat at level 5, as well as advantage on all of them and extra speed and favored enemy damage, I can't understand how you think it's weak. Compare the extra attack to Horde Breaker, it is much better and that's the only feature the hunter gets at that point.

Disabling enemy darkvision, even if only for you, is really good at night, in dungeons, in the underdark and anywhere else that is dark or dim. Remember, 7 out of 9 core races have darkvision and a lot of monsters do as well. The magic is pretty good, like domain spells though they are not supposed to all be top picks but rather reinforce flavor and give some more utility, more known spells, and Greater Invis is really good anyway.

Wis saves are the best or second best in the game, con is usually better especially for a caster but staying at range that's not as big an issue. Compared to adv on frighten saves, OAs against you have DA, or you sometimes get a bit of AC against multiattack creatures, it's pretty good. Stakler's Flurry is sick, even if you have Archery and advantage and all that being able to just do another attack when you miss, without any cooldown or cost, is fantastic. Swift Quiver and Sharpshooter have great synergy with this. Dodge is nice, not as good as Evasion but you can't really expect that with the other features as they are.

Also, don't do homebrew if you don't even know the system well enough to use 5 ft. increments.
>>
>>49498042
>dissing Tony DiTerlitzi
I didn't know such depths of shit taste could even exist.
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 572x303px
>>49492851
I need help making an alternative spellpoint system.
I want spellpoints to work like hit die, in a way.
For the base, i want to make MP die inverse to HP die.
D12 HP = D6 MP
D10 HP = D8 MP
D8 HP = D10 MP
D6 HP = D12 MP
The player can only use this mp if their class allows spellcasting of course.

Should they regen MP on short rest by using up to their level in mp die as with hp, and gain up to half their mp die back per long rest, as with hp? This would make it easy to remember, i feel.

Should mana points per level be an average based on their die, roll-for, or what?

Also, spellcasting stat should be used as the modifier for mana upon level up. Like a paladin would use 8+cha at first level and 1d8 (or avg 5)+cha to determine total MP.

The main thing I need to know is how I should do how many MP it takes to cast spells of different levels and other similar shit.
>>
>>49502349
Funny thing that, I wouldn't know.
>>
>>49502386
It's okay to admit when you're wrong anon.
>>
>>49501973
You'd be better off taking resilient (wisdom) or observant (wisdom+1) to get your wisdom from 15 to 16.

Resilient is obsoleted at level 14, but it's clear you're not going to get to level 14. It's basically a choice between 'You could have +1 charisma.. Or you could have a half-feat.'

Heck, why not point-buy your way to 15 dex, get+2 dex from racial, then get +1dex +1wis instead?

You don't really need charisma for drow magic or anything really other than being good at talking sometimes.
>>
>>49502407
Butchering the artistic styles of Dr. Seuss and Yoshitaka Amano and half-assedly stitching the corpses together do not make for quality illustrations.
>>
>>49502409
Huh. Well, the way I was thinking about the guy I was going to roleplay him as low charisma anyway, so I guess that would work.
Thanks!
>>
>>49502377
If you come up with an answer for this anon I'm all ears. I've been working on a similar system using the same idea, and I'm stuck at the same spot.
>>
>>49502421
For someone who also likes Yoshitaka Amano is astounds me you don't also appreciate DiTerlizzi.
>>
>>49502377
Double+1. Thats how much MP a spell should cost. Works on all levels. Wanna cast Cure Wounds at level 1? 3 MP. Level 2 Cure Wounds? 5 MP.
>>
>>49502421

>Amano

I really don't like his style.
>>
>>49502377
>The player can only use this mp if their class allows spellcasting of course.

Why? Plenty of games with MP give fighters special abilities that use it too.
>>
>>49502452
So how much mana would you give a PC at first level. I figure for my math it would be there casting stat score + their MD (Mana Die). And at each level up they add their MD + the modifier. So a wizard with an 18 INT and D12 MD would have a total of 30 Mana at 1st level. which I think gives them plenty of mana to cast spell.
>>
>>49502537
They must be an archetype that allows it, or have a feat that grants spells.
Thats what my intent to say was
>>
>>49502499
I wasn't implying you had to. I was saying that DiTerlizzi's work very clearly shows its influences, but is detracted from by his own fairly minimal stylistic influence. He tries to imitate multiple, easily recognizable styles at once, and the resulting hodgepodge is of poor quality, in my opinion.
>>
What does system/setting-agnostic mean? I'm new to TTRPGs and I've come across this term a lot. Google doesn't give me a solid one save for the dictionary term for agnostic which, apart from the religious-tied meaning, means compatibility in numerous platforms so I'm gonna assume system/setting-agnostic means that if the homebrew states of being such, it should be compatible with ones campaign/adventure/setting/system/etc.?
>>
>>49502409
I actually ended up taking Observant, since it really fits the profile of a spymaster/assassin to a tee. Thanks for the suggestion, it really brings out the character.
I'll be sure to mention Anon if I end up winning the Best Roleplayer award, kek.
>>
>>49502548
Stat modifier + die.
Wizard of 20 int would have 12+5 at first level.
All subsequent levels do mod+1d12 or 7 (average+1)
>>
>>49502562
Why did you decide to ask in this thread, of all places?
As far as I know, system-agnostic means discussing fluff (setting, narrative and literature trappings) independant of crunch (system mechanics).
>>
New session, gents.

>>49502584
>>49502584
>>49502584
>>49502584
>>49502584
>>
>>49502550
And my question is, why not give everyone special abilities? Why create a whole system and then not even include half the characters?
>>
>>49502587

5e is my first TTRPG so I dwell in these threads a lot so I might as well ask here. Also it was a term I've ran into when I google around regarding D&D related forum posts and such so it has caught my curiosity.

But thanks for the answer, anon.
>>
>>49502562
Setting-agnostic is stuff like dwarves, they may not exist in modern or sci-fi settings but they are in so many fantasy ones that it's not specific to a setting. You can change their fluff to suit a certain setting of course.
>>
>>49502606
For fucks sake anon, I know we're in autosage, but we're still on page 2.
>>
17 mana at first level seems rather low considering that 1st level spells each cost 3 mana each. so at best with the best stats a PC could on cast 5 spells.
>>
>>49502627
That's quite a bit better than the current 2.
>>
>>49502609
Jesus fuck anon.
Not every character is a spellcaster.
im keeping mana to those who cast spells because people who ordinarily dont have spell slots dont cast magic.
Im not reworking an entire system, just the spellcasting points.
>>
>>49502609
He's changing a system (spell points) to be more to his liking. It's not a new sub-system, it replaces spell slots.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.