[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 46

I'll help these threads start edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Old Thread: >>49450755

How's your Inquisitor?
>>
Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.1.9)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dmylf4f40eslea9/Mars_Needs_Women.pdf

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! Relax! Have Fun With It! (V1.7.15)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5lqt5r2wel6w25q

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.
>>
>>49490596
>how's your Inquisitor?

our Inquisitor is dead. The sector our Trader ship is tooling around in was the perview of an inquisitor. Due to stuff he got possessed by daemons and went into hiding. We fulfilled a prophesy, killed the daemon-piloted husk that was once his body, and have been using his Rosetta to make people think he's still alive and is going to exterminatus them. It's all for the good of the Imperium, I assure you.
>>
>>49490745
...actually, I just realized our 4 player are each carrying part of his inquisitorial gear. Captain has his Rosarius, seneschal has the Rosetta, Voidmaster has his storm shield, Priest has his Force Sword.

..I wonder if our GM intended that.
>>
File: 1367108876828.jpg (54KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1367108876828.jpg
54KB, 500x600px
How much do you RP you character flaws and such, /tg/?

>created an unsanctioned daemon world telepath
>hella Fellowship, so deceiving the other (sanctioned) psyker in the party is no probs
>just picked up Scrier's Gaze before today's session though
>reading all the standard ideas for what a psyker might use
>these sound too... clean...
>being from a Khornate daemon world, I figure a suitable method that resonates with my heritage
>in front of my Inquisitor, the King of a feudal world, and the rest of the party I ask for a bowl of blood

Just lucky that the Sister of Battle wasn't here for today's session, but totally weirded everyone out, the sniper with hella perception totally scrutinied past my deception, and then an awkward conversation with the other psyker followed my scrying.
>>
Need more NPC/enemy stats for Dark Heresy.

SUMMON MORE SPLATBOOKS FROM THE WARP, FF.
>>
>>49491149
What, can't use stats from other lines?
>>
>>49491149

Dude, FFG dropped the line. What we have is all we can use now.
>>
>>49491191
This.

Push comes to shove, adjust existing statlines according to your needs.

>>49491279
I cry every day, anon.
>>
Why do people keep playing DH 1e? There's literally nothing good about that edition over 2e. Everything useful can just be ported over.
>>
>>49491486
Why play DH if you can play RT?
>>
>>49491559
Why play RT if you can play DH2e?
>>
>>49491609
Cool ships and xeno sluts?
>>
>>49491486
Transplanting characters kind of sucks. I tried it and I lost a lot, like none of my peers even exist
>>
>>49491617
>implying the Inquisition can't get cool ships and xeno sluts if you go Radical

Rogue Trader's a fun concept, but you can easily adjust the mechanics as-needed to DH2e and lift the ship stuff. One of my friends threw it together in the span of maybe a couple days, and it worked great.
>>
File: Sergalcomparison.jpg (313KB, 1161x984px) Image search: [Google]
Sergalcomparison.jpg
313KB, 1161x984px
>>49488531

Up to this point they’d been dealing with large targets with dark coloration that were easily spotted on the flat terrain. Spotting out smaller more compatibly colored creatures in the dark of the night through was a different story. Lightly armored and armed with blades and explosives, they crept into the front lines and brought pain with them. Important looking guardmen were shanked right as firebombs were tossed into the tightest collections of troops and tents. Being unused to dealing with organized and efficient enemy forces in recent memory, the regiments fell into panic as the vastly lesser numbered attackers laid into them.

Unfortunately for the sergals attacking the NE corner the one thing the Hidralians are really good at is noticing things sneaking up on them, and they spotted the approaching xenos immediately and opened fire with the kind of fury you get when PCs are freshly dead. The Kasrkin got their hellhounds spread out thanks to the interception and the sergals were largely annihilated on that side of the camp, though this did result in one of two hiccups on the Fellouts end where Torch went crazy as the sight of all that fire and ran in screaming about the purifying power of the Emperor’s Will and accidently setting more of our tents on fire then the sergals did. Biter had to run in and punch him to his sense, and she got Righteous Fury and hit him so hard I ruled he was knocked silly for a round.

The other hiccup is Tassy decided to run off to “borrow” one of the Scintellian tanks to assist, but took so long doing it that they’d not only driven them off but left to reinforce the besieged artillery and tarantulas clinging to the side of a hellhound because our driver was nowhere to be seen.
>>
>>49492450

After things calmed down we set about repairing the site and getting drunk, aside from Torch who was prostrating hard in his tent as repentance for losing control. A day later the commander arrived and congratulated them on the job well done, but also bringing the news that command was pissed that they’d A: Had to skip evening tea to direct the officers into directing the panicked troops and B: The dreg regiment had made everyone else look bad. They were being assigned to leave in the morning and babysit one of the few established human towns on the planet, one that hadn’t been bothered yet by the xenos. Boring field operations in the boondocks then. Least some Lesbian squads were coming too to be the face of the IG support so there’s something nice to look at while there at least.

Session ended with them heading out, after Tassy was ordered to leave her new leman russ behind and the other PCs took turns taking dumps on the engine block. Thank the emperor Numbers wasn’t still around.
>>
>>49492450

Ah hell didn't notice I hadn't posted one part yet.

So the Fellouts set up basic camp alongside their advance group, with Torch going to the regiment commander (who’d been “accidentally” excluded from the command meetings that day) to get reinforcements and orders. Biter arrives and promptly boots the nearby Kasrkin further back into the campsite to make room so the Fellous aren’t pitching tents next to the artillery. Quite the sight probably seeing the 4’9 woman herding a bunch of big fully-carapaced and scarred up Cadians, dragging along their tents and tanks.

Most of the group through earsdropping and interactions with the regiments that would tolerate their presence throughout the evening finds out that imperial command has dropped the ball on the operation across the board. The currently fielded regiments on that planet, dubbed Talon III and mostly consisting of savanna and rocky hills, were the Riders, Lesbians, Scintillans, Praetorians, and a squad of Kasrkin… except that it was supposed to be that the Scintillans and Lesbians were being send to the more populated/less besieged Talon IV to look pretty and be morale boasters and the guys with the gas masks and flamers were supposed to be over here being useful. Not that the Fellouts were complaining about being overpowered for the job after that attack, but point is command wasn’t happy. Also the Praetorians’ arrival was late as was initial supply drops and the central camp was farther away from the landing sites then intended. A mess.

Then the sergals, which the other troops dubbed “mansharks”, attacked during the night.
>>
Because megaguy still hasn't added the latest version.

New in this version:
- Rules fixes and tweaks discovered in playtesting
- Super-heavy opponents chapter

On the drawing board for future versions:
- Battletech style critical system, with limb damage, armour degradation, sub-system destruction and reactor explosions [Currently being worked on]
- Knightly vehicle upgrades, Knightly gear (like Knight scale void-impellers, Drop-pods etc), customization guide/rules and a relic or two
- More unique Imperial Knight talents (I'm taking suggestions here)
- Mechanicus Knights
>>
File: image.jpg (139KB, 524x492px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 524x492px
>last weekend
>Only War Vostroyan Firstborn party again
>finally go planetside on snowy death world after disastrous training excersizes
>their Valkyrie gets shot down mid-flight, pilot killed instantly but everyone in the troop bay manages to survive
>get out before it explodes, watch as the rest of the invasion force is shot down by anti-air
>fuck around until they spot a camp in the middle of the snow
>bunch of dead Cadians and cultists inside
>most go down pretty quick, one suppressed in a bunker
>Psyker and sergeant both have same initiative both attack the same cultist at the same time
>psyker cast Internal Combustion, turning cultist's leg into a grenade, which sets off all his ammo and explodes like a 500lb bomb
>sergeant throws grenade, misses really badly
>explodes in the air, everyone has to make a dodge check or get hit
>hits the entire party
>mfw the sergeant did more damage than the cultists
Good times.
>>
>>49492450
Why sergals though?
>>
Lore-relaed question.
What does an average Imperial Joe has to do to become the Lord/Imperial Commander of a world?
>>
>>49493759
Sign the Dark Pact with mysterious stranger.
>>
>>49493759
Find an STC fragment.
>>
>>49493759
Depends on the planet. Depends on local circumstances. Depends on offworld influences occasionally. Depends on that Imperial Joe's favor with the Administratum (and other Imperial institutions and power groups). Depends on the Imperial Joe in question and his own will to power, intellect, and personal charisma. Depends on whether or not the average Imperial Joe is a local noble in his own right (however minor) or literally just a hab-worker or farmer or some shit like that. Depends on who among the population is willing or able to follow him.

So there's a few factors you need to consider here.
>>
I took a break from 40k RP since early 2014 and just got back, finding that FFG has apparently stopped the line just after I stopped playing because of how badly edited their products had gotten.

What the fuck happened wtih FFG?
>>
Can one person be the governor of multiple worlds? or is generally a one person, one planet system
>>
>>49494061
>because of how badly edited their products had gotten

Actually it's literally every 40k product. Some falling out with GW cost them the license.
>>
File: 1290496478.mick39_sergal (1).png (319KB, 924x719px) Image search: [Google]
1290496478.mick39_sergal (1).png
319KB, 924x719px
>>49493423

For the same unknown reasons they got big on the internet to begin with?

Really I just like the look of them, and wanted to have a more even footed opponent unestablished in lore that's capable of squad tactics while still being vicious and alien. Sergals are bigger and stronger and quicker then guardsmen and have the same level of armor, but aren't quite as numerous and otherwise have a lower level of equipment. Personal ranged weapons haven't advanced beyond lever action rifles.
>>
>>49494071
One person, one planet.

There are subsector governors, but usually such authority is through the Administratum rather than a local matter (the Administratum doesn't appoint planetary governor except in niche cases - nine times outta ten the governor is locally appointed, and expected to serve as the mouthpiece of the planetary government to the Administratum officials sent to collect the Imperial tithe - details vary by planet), and subsector and sector authority is very hands-off as a general rule.
>>
>>49494071
>Can one person be the governor of multiple worlds? or is generally a one person, one planet system
You can. One individual can rule all the worlds in a star system, rule a handful of star systems, etc. Due to the warp, it's remarkably hard to effectively sustain a domain larger than a local cluster of star systems (So about 20-30ish light years in radius or so), and that tends to be around the point that the Imperium starts to mutter about secessionists and empire builders and tries to break up your power bloc.
>>
File: 1443232975770.png (437KB, 456x427px) Image search: [Google]
1443232975770.png
437KB, 456x427px
>>49494114
>>49494121
uhh
>>
>>49494184
Only needed one more person and you could have quoted that guy talking about Eldar and their lies.
>>
>>49494184
Welcome to 40k, where asking four people a question gets you five different answers, all true and terrifying.
>>
>>49494184
>>49494121
>>49494114

I promise there's a way to reconcile these two rules of thumb.

Subsector governor is only the direct ruler of the subsector capital, buuut all the planetary governors in the subsector generally answer to him if he's the Administratum official responsible for keeping them all in line (and once you hit multiplanetary authority, it's an Administratum concern). That said, the Administratum has internal politics as much as any organization in the Imperium, so power blocs become a thing.

People like to give the Administratum a lot of shit, but they make everything run and generally have all the major subsector and sector-level authorities.
>>
>>49493968
So if that person is rich as fuck, and with a minor coup takes power from someone who didn't payed his tithes forever, then immediately starts forwarding payments to the Administratum, maybe with interest then he should be okay, right?
>>
>>49494079
... for the last two and a half years? what the fucknuggets
>>
>>49494255
They shifted production to other 40k products like card and board games, and this news of the license being terminated just hit recently (at least, in an official capacity - there was obviously some scuffling behind the scenes going on we're not privy to).

>>49494249
Generally yes, but in order to do that you'd need to ensure that the means of providing the tithe to the Administratum isn't disrupted in the course of the coup.

This is extremely difficult and any kind of dissent or populist uprising against the planetary government has the potential to snowball into an uprising against the Imperium if the guy running the show isn't careful. And the instant that calls of dissent against Imperial authority come onto the playing field, that's it, the Administratum brings in the Imperial Guard and Navy and shuts this party down.
>>
/tg/, which 40k system would you suggest running for a group that has little to no knowledge of the meta or lore? I am very much intrigued by Rogue Trader.
>>
>>49494282
Then there is still doing the colonization yourself, or marrying into the ruling family, and mysteriously becoming the sole heir of the position.
>>
>>49494309
Don't do Rogue Trader.

Do Dark Heresy 2nd Edition, or Only War. Much better introduction to the 'ground level' of the setting. Then you step it up to Rogue Trader later on.
>>
>>49494309
Only War. You don't need to know the lore to die for the Emperor.
>>
>>49494319

I see. Well, thanks for the help, anon.
>>
>>49494312
Viable, but potentially open to dissent from the rest of the ruling class.

Basically, you gotta git gud and play the Game of Thrones to take and hold power on most worlds.

This is easier said than done, and the exact technicalities will vary from world to world. Some Hive Worlds might be a corporatocracy rather than a regular feudal system, for instance.
>>
>>49494403
How about taking power from someone who openly, and willingly segregated from the Imperium? Aside from "just" doing the war part of things, then ruling legally shouldn't be a problem.

Or renovating a freshly conquered world that was mostly rendered useless by the attack from Guard/Navy. Then it's "only" the rebuilding the planet.
>>
File: friendship ended.jpg (177KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
friendship ended.jpg
177KB, 800x600px
>>49491149
>>49491279
>>49491468
>>
>>49494216
Alternately, the planetary governor might be the CEO of a megacorp or Trade House, a Rogue Trader, or someone else with interplanetary pull. Or the cluster was some independent micro empire of humans that got folded into the Imperium peacefully. Whatever. The point to reconcile is that while ruling all the worlds in a single solar system is relatively easy, it gets exponentially harder and more expensive the more you expand, and thus less common. The Imperium is also strongly against people building micro-empires within itself, and will bust up any that become too large/powerful/inconvenient for its tastes. More isolated sectors might host such fiefdoms for thousands of years. Or you might get a Badab type situation relatively quickly. The Imperium is nothing if not bueracratic and unpredictable.
>>
>>49494455
>How about taking power from someone who openly, and willingly segregated from the Imperium? Aside from "just" doing the war part of things, then ruling legally shouldn't be a problem.

Pay up the tithe owed to the Administratum, apologize for the retardation of the last guy in charge, make the sign of the Aquila across your chest, and promise from the bottom of your heart this shit won't happen again under your rule. They'll probably roll with it.

>Or renovating a freshly conquered world that was mostly rendered useless by the attack from Guard/Navy. Then it's "only" the rebuilding the planet.

Pay up the tithe owed to the Administratum, apologize for the retardation of the last guy in charge, make the sign of the Aquila across your chest, and promise from the bottom of your heart this shit won't happen again under your rule. They'll probably roll with it.

Thing with the wider Imperium is it isn't REALLY super-oppressive like everyone thinks.

It just doesn't give a fuck what you want, and has a galaxy-spanning war to fight.

>"Hey Administratum guys, we-"
>"Don't care. Tithe."
>"But-"
>"Up the shut fuck. TITHE."
>"BUT WE'RE STARVING-"
>"Personal problems! You're a factory planet! TITHE."
>>
File: 45421512151844546.jpg (78KB, 732x960px) Image search: [Google]
45421512151844546.jpg
78KB, 732x960px
>>49494476
>>
>>49494499
It is good to see that the retirement plan of my lowborn Arch-Militant is no just a distant dream.
>>
How do Logistics tests work? I can't figure out how their rules work.

Also, where are the rules for Righteous Fury?

I just GM'ed for the first time yesterday, we all had fun, but I feel like I could have done a lot better.
>>
>>49494455
>How about taking power from someone who openly, and willingly segregated from the Imperium?
Secessionist worlds tend to be blasted into rubble, and the rubble blasted into dust, and then the dust gets covered in water and turned into clay, and the clay gets turned into Munitorium Standardized Building Bricks Type 3, which are used to build outhoses across the Imperium, and then the Imperium composes a song about the inevitable glorious victory and writes biased history books about the war. There's not much left to resettle, is the general thrust.
>>
>>49494544
And if a personal army does the conquering instead of waiting a century for a vacancy in both the Navy AND the Guard's schedule?
>>
Planning a tribal feral world pc and would like to homebrew a blowgun for one of his weapons. What stats should it have? It should be useable at fairly close range against most people in clothing, so maybe

7m range
1d4 impact damage
Toxic (2), primitive, felling (1), silent

Is there a trait for not being able to crit? Because there is no way a blowgun is shooting off arms or exploding heads
>>
>>49494529
Righteous Fury is on page 250.

Logistics tests come into effect when one of the players wants to order or find a new piece of equipment. You roll a 1d100 and compare it to your logistics rating like a regular skill check, modifying it by the availability of the item and other factors. If it's a success you get the item.

There's extra stuff, but that's the basic gist. Full Logistics rules on page 162.
>>
>>49494567
>>49494544
Let's say it's not a galaxy- or sector-wide problem tough, like Black Crusade, or a Waaagh
>>
>>49494568
There's one in Faith and Coin I think
>>
>>49494568
Just use the one in OW Hammer of the Emperor.
>>
File: a01907e169a6ece40417158f9b9a3848.jpg (345KB, 1280x909px) Image search: [Google]
a01907e169a6ece40417158f9b9a3848.jpg
345KB, 1280x909px
>>49494309

Black Crusade.

No need to know fluff, just say there's four dark gods that represent different aspects that'll reward you for your devotion and deeds with power and then dump them in the Screaming Vortex or another chaos system where you can do any kind of setting you want with characters that don't know (or in the case of CSMs don't remember) shit about the outside. Then you can have an Imperium or some other race/faction influx into the setting and have the players be introduced to it naturally over time.

Plus it has the least rigid and complicated class/leveling system and the best starting power level that's good for tossing simple enemies at them for experimental combats that don't feel like basement rats.
>>
>>49494309
Dark Heresy honestly. The characters know nothing and so do you.
>>
File: sweating internally.gif (372KB, 594x727px) Image search: [Google]
sweating internally.gif
372KB, 594x727px
>>49490596
Only War. Our paratroopers debrief with an Inquisitor tonight. Field modifications to weapons, narrowly avoid falling to an Ork horde, and our Sergeant ripped-and-tore one of our own guys in half by "accident".

As someone holding a field-modified weapon on my medevac stretcher, should I be panicking? I feel like I should be panicking.
>>
>>49495000
Tech-heresy is a Mechanicus concern. Try not to worry too much.

As for the Ork horde - battlefield casualties happen.

The Sergeant ripping one of your guys a new one is honestly a matter for the Commissariat, and concerning. Panic about this, if anything.
>>
>>49495000
All interactions with the Inquisition are cause for panic. If you're unlucky, he'll take issue. If you're /very/ unlucky, he'll be in the market for some new meat shields.
>>
File: tumblr_myahi7DwJE1s4sthdo1_1280.jpg (79KB, 600x715px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myahi7DwJE1s4sthdo1_1280.jpg
79KB, 600x715px
>>49495000
>I feel like I should be panicking.
You should. Inquisitors are a notoriously testy lot and might have you shot, flogged or burned at the stake for looking at them funny. Or worse, they might also recruit you for special missions as Acolytes.
>>
>>49495058
>The Sergeant ripping one of your guys a new one is honestly a matter for the Commissariat, and concerning. Panic about this, if anything.

This. Steer clear of anything in a peaked cap and black coat.
>>
So... I just read Dogs in the Vineyard today, and couldn't help noticing the similarities in the premise between it and Dark Heresy even if the setting is completely different. Has anyone tried using DitV to run Dark Heresy-style game? How did it go?
>>
>>49491121
you couldn't do something less chaotic, like, idk, reading animal entrails or whatever?
>>
>>49494319
Actually not. Rogue Trader allows your group to be dilettantes with no idea about how the galaxy runs with a bunch of aides telling them why spitting on the Emperor's Image is a bad idea, specially infront of the Bishop. Just tell them it is Mirror Universe Star Trek and that their ship is a cathedral with rockets.

IMO Dark Heresy needs to much previous exposition about how things run, why do you work for the Big I, what was their past, why everything sucks...
>>
New to /tg/ and warhammer (playing dh 2) are characters supposed to be able to gain any skill if they meet the requirements? Like does it make sense for my tech priest, who has only gotten xp for combat be able to buy a rank of forbidden lore (daemons) or a trade skill like armorer?
>>
>>49496749
Discuss it with your GM to see if they feel like your purchases are valid, or work with them to come up with a reason that the purchases make sense. Trade (Armorer) is easy: You've been maintaining everyone's gear. Forbidden Lore, maybe you found a secret cult tome or got a special briefing on the daemonic threat. Shit like that.
>>
I did it, /40krpg/. I'm allowing a player to play a Dark Eldar in Rogue Trader.

I've had a shit-ton of problems with folks wanting to play xenos characters in the past: invariably, they end up frustrated by the interaction penalties and the fact that most humans are repulsed, horrified, or driven to violence by their characters' very presence (despite multiple warnings to this effect and numerous provisions of relevant fluff before the fact). This player, though, is a good friend, and made a kind of awesome observation last night during character creation when we were both pretty drunk:

> Games Workshop spent so much time beating the Dark Eldar with the angsty stick that they missed out on how brilliantly simple the concept is. While every sci-fi universe has an empathic race of touchy-feely space hippies, not as many have an empathic race of hedonists who hurt people to get high. Their cruelty is ancillary to their need for a fix, and the ever-increasing elaborateness of the torments they inflict are little more than a means to an end.

I thoroughly trust this player to not fuck this character up. I think he gets it more than other Muh Special Alien players, and I'm looking forward to where he goes with his junkie space fey.

Crush my optimism with a fucking hammer, guys.
>>
>>49497014
>Dark Eldar

Absolutely haram, familamadingdong.

Here's the deal.

Dark Eldar are Fucked Up.

Prepare for Magical Realm levels of sick fuckery. Potentially enough for other players to become THOROUGHLY disgusted with the player in question, and by extension, you for allowing it.
>>
>>49494578
>page 250
Thanks, anon!

I still can't figure out the logistics rules though.
>>
>>49497052
>Fucked Up
Well if all their RPG experience is with generic D&D I guess it can be magicalrealmy. Nothing VtM veterans cannot endure however.
>>
>>49497014
The player WILL show up naked.
>>
>>49497052
> Magical Realm
Yes, anon, because the setting didn't have plenty of room for that already.
>>
>>49497181
Just because it's there doesn't mean you actively encourage it, and that's all Dark Eldar are. Sadistic magical realm evil space elves.
>>
>>49497201
40K is not about hugs and good feelings neither.
>>
>>49497201
> No opportunities for intrigue
> No Tony Hawk's pro skyboard dogfighting
> No drug-fuelled arena fights
> No fun allowed
>>
File: Dark Eldar Kabalite.jpg (281KB, 737x1038px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Eldar Kabalite.jpg
281KB, 737x1038px
>>49497014

The one time I saw a Kabalite Trueborn played, it was done so flawlessly that it just clicked in my head as the way things were supposed to be.

He looked at the bigger picture, and prioritized emotional and mental damage over mere physical attacks. He KNEW he was better than everyone else, in true Trueborn fashion, and he was merely waiting for them to realize it. He approached combat like an ascetic, as a way to improve himself further AND leave his competitors in the dust. He would put himself in the center of combat, be it the biggest dudes he could find, or a horde of enemies, JUST so he could show off his superiority and watch their pitiful attempts at combat fail hilariously. He turned fights into an art form, and created numerous techniques that are still spoken of and studied, all the while never revealing his face from beneath the perfectly reflective helmet he always wore. Everyone else in the detachment found him amusing, but damn lethal if he put his mind to something.

You were a cool dude, Zaill Kralic. Keep being cool wherever you are.

If your player is even half as good as he was, then you got nothing to worry about, broseidon.
>>
>>49492489
>Least some Lesbian squads were coming too to be the face of the IG support so there’s something nice to look at while there at least.

What?
>>
>>49497637
Expanded on a bit in the previous thread. All-women regiment from the planet Lesbos, because 40k and subtlety mix like peanut butter and dogshit.
>>
>>49497701
>Expanded on a bit in the previous thread. All-women regiment from the planet Lesbos, because 40k and subtlety mix like peanut butter and dogshit.

Are they all lesbians?
>>
>>49497701
Not sure if blaming 40k in general for magical realm fancruft would be my response here.
>>
>>49497069
Okay, I'll break this down as well as I can, since I want to make sure I have it right too.
>All squads start with a Logistics rating of 10, barring any regimental drawbacks.
>Roll to acquire an item against said Logistics rating, adjusted for rarity and front modifiers (in a table in the book).
>Logistics Rating can be permanently raised by investing in Munitorum Influence, or situationally raised by the GM for objectives completed.
>Logistics Rating can be temporarily raised through the Persuasive Charm talent (+5 per Degree of Success up to +30) and through use of Commerce (+10) for a single test at a time.

Only War's availability tests are intentionally quite hard, keep that in mind.
>>
>>49494568
10m, 1d5+2 I, Half reload, Toxic (0) is the official statline, for what it's worth.
>>
>>49497930
Oh. I knew I messed them up then!

Well, I accidently good refractor fields for everyone!
>>
File: 1422047806218.jpg (12KB, 251x200px) Image search: [Google]
1422047806218.jpg
12KB, 251x200px
>>49498098
>good refractor fields
>Guardsmen
>New Guard conscripts
>good
>refractor
>Fields

Oh shit nigger, what are you doing?
>>
>>49498131
I dunno. The player that rolled for the logistics test rolled a natural one, and going with what I could figure out on the logistics test, I counted it as two degrees of success, so rolled on the bonus gear table and ended up on the jeweled chest with Inquisitorial Seal.
>>
>>49498131
They fell off the back of a cargo servitor.
>>
>>49498131

Wow, that should never have happened. If it were my game I would have failed the roll anyway, because green conscripts should never get such things.
>>
>>49498297
In-setting, you can hand waive it as misdirected or misappropriated supplies.
>>
>>49498098
>>49498131

Hell, why say anything? No, Mr. Inquisitor, we don't have any refractor fields!
>>
>>49495537
Entrails sounds even more chaotic to me, like I made my intent known that I wasn't actually going to touch the blood (giving the reason that blood provided an easier surface to read), and that animal blood would be fine, and that eased my Inquisitor. The King was still freaked out though and the other psyker was just so confused as to why I didn't want to use any of the more popular, sanctioned methods. I mean it wasn't BLAM-worthy, just another niggling thing in the party's eyes of me. I mean I deserve it, for the character I made.
>>
>>49494082
>same unknown reasons they got big on the internet
>unkown
No, it's totally known, Sergals are furry bait and including them in your campaign is as bad as using the cat-folk. Good job bringing magical realm to 40K, you sick fuck.
>>
>>49498545

Because the Inquisitor will just read your mind and find what he needs anyway.

>>49498320

It doesn't matter. That's too powerful for conscripts and doesn't match the theme of the game.
>>
>>49494309
>>49495591
I run a DH2e game for people with no prior knowledge, and that exposition just required one night of talking at a pub. It's not that hard, especially if your players then go away and actually read the book whilst they're making characters. It's a great system actually, because >>49494970

No metagaming gets in the way. Like I followed one of the predone campaigns and laid a body in front of them with the Mark of Nurgle, and they were still completely shocked when it snapped back "alive" and started to assault them. Whereas if my DH DM did that to me, sure I'm good enough with avoiding metagaming that my character still would have triggered it, but I as a player wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. Some other players might have greater trouble not metagaming in such a situation, too.
>>
>>49498098
This is like when our SW GM gave us a box of Disruptor Rifles like a couple sessions in. Jesus christ anon, I hope you've learned from your mistake.

>>49498166
The shit gained from those bonus gear rolls doesn't (and really shouldn't IMO) be specific, good gear. Rather it should be a narrative item that alludes to the attainment of something better. For example, our old OW group rolled twice on that table. The first time, they found an Inquisitor's spare rosette, managing to meet up with the Inquisitor and give it back netted them with some XP and/or medal reward (I can't remember exactly what, I wasn't in the group at the time). The second time we'd been stuck in an Ork siege, and the chest our Techpriest stumbled upon contained a formal missive saying that First squad of First platoon would be handed over to the Inquisitor in charge of our regiment, and the planet was to be nuked from orbit with the rest of the regiment still on it (regarding this as acceptable casualties). Long story short, under the deceptive direction of our entirely selfish Techpriest we got the documents altered to our squad, our platoon, and on D-Day rocked up to the Inquisitor ourselves. We were rewarded (after fighting First squad to the death, as they'd also turned up of course) with a change to DH, the transferal of our characters as we studied to become Acolytes brought many new features and skills.

Point is, that bonus gear has the potential to be something so much more than just mundane gear, even if that gear is refractor fields.
>>
>>49499094
I think it's a loot based mindset like you see in D&D. I'm usually the only person in my party who doesn't go all in on new armor and weapons when the chance comes, I prefer utility things like lore books or favors with NPCs
>>
>>49497637
>>49497701
>>49497926

Creator here. Quick crash course on the ladies of planet Lesbos. I tried to keep things simple with them.

The hive/agri world Lesbos, known in nearby systems especially for its fine textile production, was cut off from the rest of the Imperium by a warp storm for a relatively short time, estimated 50-60 years. During and afterward the resident population developed an odd quirk where 80% of births were female and all of them having striking natural beauty. After contact was reestablished and the population was deemed clear of corruption by investigating inquisitors, the Munitorum decided to arrange a new purpose for the tilthed IG from Lesbos. Geared in the best most decorated armor that can be mass produced, their intent is to be a shining symbol of the Imperium’s glory wherever they go that can easily be used as propaganda icons and public faces for deployed IG on Imperial Worlds. As such they tend to be deployed on urban battlefields in populated worlds.

The Lesbians are drilled to be proud and disciplined fast response soldiers of the Human Imperium. And as such they tend to chafe when generals often keep them in the middle/back lines out of the action and only roll them out for parades so they can smile and wave at the cheering crowds and look pretty riding atop their chimeras, not to mention the condescension and mockery they often get from other regiments despite being often on par with them in actual combat. Some break ranks “accidently” and go into action they haven’t been ordered into, others exploit their image for cheap thrills and personal gain.

And no they’re not more prone to being gay than normal. Many a busted nose was created by the assumption being voiced. But again some of them like to play up the image for laughs and free drinks.
>>
File: lesbos.png (81KB, 725x626px) Image search: [Google]
lesbos.png
81KB, 725x626px
>>49499279

Stats for the regiment.

If it comes off as a feminist fantasy then I can't blame you, though what I said about other regiments not respecting them applies to other all-female IGs too. Least it's like romanticized feminism and not that of the rainbow haired sociopaths.
>>
Does anyone know where the navigator power is that lets the navigator see the enemies characteristics? (TB, wounds etc,) I'm sure I saw it somewhere but I can't refind it,
>>
>>49499357
Navis Primer 88, Baleful Watcher.
>>
>>49499094
In my defence, I'd never GM'ed before and none of us really knew what we were doing. Though, you are right in that I shouldn't do stuff like that again.

We had fun though!

I'll fluff it as they were meant to be sent to an Inquisitor's acolytes instead of thrm, but due to munitorum mix-up, it was sent to them instead.

>>49499165
Probably this.
>>
/40krpg/, are my players incompetent, or am I a terrible GM?

>inform the players of where they are, describe the area and what's going on in their immediate environment
>an npc does some things, shuffles some paper, tells the players that they should go to X place to avoid being BLAMed
>players just kind of sit around silently
>end up having to prompt them to get up off their hospital beds and start the game

This is just one example, adding in the chance for optional side-missions into my description of the environment and the current activities is becoming really awkward and difficult, it seems as though the players are just waiting for me to railroad their characters instead of piping up and doing something.

Am I doing it wrong? Am I meant to ask "Do you investigate?"
>>
>>49499331
>feminist fantasy
It sounds more magical realm than feminist to me.\

>th-there are these super hott girls and they like to make out but only for fun! LOL
That's a crude simplification, the way you described them sounds alright actually, but I would have just never made anything like that to begin with since it skirts so close and may be interpreted by any players as awkward/cringeworthy magical realm.
>>
Have any of your players gone to a feral/fuedal world? How did it go?
>>
>>49499576
Your players are incompetent. Get new ones.
>>
>>49499556
Despite the general outcry, I don't think you've done anything wrong. Let the PCs have their refractor fields. They're now exceptionally unstealthy, and you have carte blanche to put them down range of a wall of lead.

>Fields can also overload. Compare the 1d100 roll to avoid Damage to Table 6–18: Field Overload Chance. If the result is lower than or equal to the listed number, the field overloads and ceases to function until it is recharged or repaired (requiring the Mechanism Replenishment upgrade or a successful Very Hard (–30) Tech-Use Test).

Don't let them recharge. Because it's a fluke acquisition, they don't have logistics in place to support and maintain their gear. They probably don't have correct tools for repairing damaged shields, either. That's a penalty on top of their already very hard -30 tech use test.

Take their gear away by attrition, but let them do awesome things while they have it.
>>
>>49499598
They did, the Guardsman scored a (wooden) ship's worth of kills with one swoop of his Flamer. I had completely forgotten he had acquired that.
>>
Video a good example of two fighter pilots falling prey to Khornite possession due to their obsession with killing each other?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0Vj-vm7FA
>>
>>49499598
Yes, we've been on at least two because our GM has a thing of making interesting planets. They're just a change of pace, a couple of things that spring to mind...
>pissing off leaders is a very real issue, as they can have entirely different outlooks and mindsets and so get pissed off easily
>plus, usually have like a power axe on their back, power sword at their belt etc. that they're not afraid to bring to bear should they feel they've been insulted or anything
>regular mooks are pretty easy, because singleshot muskets/pistols and swords
>but then there can be like xenos (Eldar) easily orchestrating things from the background
>or big beasties

Playing the blood bowl (heh) telepath if you saw that post, we're just finishing up on one feudal world now. Failed a stealth roll getting into a guarded precursor ruin, got rushed by two massive Catachan Devil-like beasts and 6 men. The dudes would have been easy enough, but I was so distracted with Terrifying the low-WP beasties that I got shot in the back with a musket, charged by 3 guys and one of their swords caught me in the kneecap and ripped it out. So there's still challenge in muskets and stuff, you just have to balance encounters out more, can't just have like one dude with a plasma pistol to threaten the party you need a good, tactical mix of less-effective dudes and beasts.
>>
>>49499598
Went full Stargate.

Petty tyrant kings who rule over small impoverished domains, overruled by a highly-advanced psyker-dictator and his cadre of high-tech supersoldiers.
>>
>>49499666
Well, Satan, what if, hypothetically speaking, one of the PCs was an Enginseer who decided to specialize in tech-use and repair when he decided to make his character?
>>
>>49499799
So... the Imperium of Man?
>>
>>49499576
Since this is a pretty shallow recount and obviously one-sided, I would say that it could be both parties, or it could just be them being incompetent. I wouldn't say it's just you, though.

Try recapping details, and yes asking what they do next. Like with my DH group at a more open area I might go...
>so you know of Faction X, Faction Y and Artifact A
>you've got those leads to investigate, or there is Door M leading to Room N here still left untouched, or you've got an offer from Local Planetary Police to attend Event
>what do you guys want to do?

The last bit is real important, as it's just a nice, gentle but firm suggestion you won't move on without an answer.
>>
>>49499165
>I prefer utility things like lore books or favors with NPCs

I wish I could have these. But the GM just forgets our lores exists and NPCs never appear again after their debut. Guess I'm upgrading my lasgun to a bolter again...
>>
>>49499848
>NPCs never appear again after their debut
You what? So he puts effort into creating NPCs and then just throws them away after one use? What happens if say, you meet the Lieutenant of Fifth Platoon, and then run into Fifth Platoon again? What happens to the Lieutenant? Jesus, that sounds like the complete opposite of Metal Gear.
>>
>>49499890

Sorry, I'm a different guy to >>49499094. I was just wistfully commenting.
>>
>>49499922
Huh, I never said you were the same guy, I was just querying something you said with an example.
>>
>>49499811
Said hypothetical Enginseer would be able to cannibalise their available inventory of damaged refractor shields for parts to use in other shields, which would only slow the loss of shields, not prevent it.
>>
File: 1319610028073.jpg (211KB, 496x703px) Image search: [Google]
1319610028073.jpg
211KB, 496x703px
>>49499598
My Rogue Trader group found a Ratling World in the Koronus Expanse, hidden behind a persistent Warp Phenomenon, which they only found because of a DaoT beacon.

They landed, and found the natives living in a feudal farming lifestyle.
Then they started creating their own settlement, fought and killed a Dragon, infuriated then attempted to kill the Queen (a powerful Biomancer), who escaped and is now ruling the world from the shadows by strong-arming the new King.

Now they've started investigating the mountains more, and have found possible evidence of ruins of the original, technologically advanced settlements. Which they surmise were underground, and ruined by catestrophic tectonic upheaval. They now seek aid from the Adeptus Mechanicus of the Lathes to perform an excavation.

They also found a metallic head crafted to be a rough analogue of a man, which the somewhat insane Explorator immediately destroyed with his Heretek Plasma-Flamer.

I've kinda given up challenging them combat-wise.

The Arch-Militant has ludicrous armour, passes every Toughness check when he's being suffocated with Psychic Powers, and kills almost everything with a single burst of fire from his Heavy Stubber. He's also got (and carries) so many fucking guns it just isn't funny.
>>
>>49499937

Then yeah. We meet an NPC, we get some info from them, and then we never see them again. We'll never meet the Lieutenant again. We'll never meet Fifth Platoon again. We'll be shuttled off somewhere new after one or two sessions, and our previous locale may as well be a distant memory. We don't even get NPC allies beyond our inquisitor, who just communicated through dead drops anyway. It's just us, and I sometimes feel alone in the universe.
>>
>>49500025
Welcome to the Inquisition.

I'm the kind of guy who tries to have the party cultivate allies and support that can cross the voids if called, but unfortunately such allies of value are far and few between, and my players' Inquisitor is actively trying to get them to be as self-sufficient as possible, to the point of denying them support and forcing them to cultivate even temporary disposable allies.

Sometimes the nature of the setting makes it difficult to make allies relevant across large spans of time, anon. Don't hold it against your GM too much.
>>
>>49500025
>Inquisitor
Oh, DH, sorry I just wrongly assumed OW which is why I used the whole platoon example. But yeah, that's bizarre, has the guy like, never watched a movie, read a book, or even played a video game before? Maybe somehow try suggesting to him that reoccurring characters and places are useful in building emotional ties, and formulating overarching story plots.
>>
>>49499651
I see, well that's easier said than done. Can I just hit these ones until they work right?

>>49499841
Thank you for the advice. I'm fairly new to GMing, and these guys are fairly new to playing tabletop games, or really roleplaying games at all (because no, Skyrim does not count).

I'm having a bit of trouble with engagement at all, though. For example, the players will pick a lead to investigate, but the most I'll get out of them is "We'll go investigate that one, then." with no real details as to how, when or why. I'm pretty sure they aren't bored, so is it just inexperience and unfamiliarity?

Should I sit them down, and tell them that the game doesn't have fast travel, and that cutting me off to slap someone in-character is a perfectly reasonable (if BLAMable) thing to do? Is there a "Role-playing Games for Dummies" I can hand out?
>>
>>49500136
>"We'll go investigate that one, then." with no real details
Well then it's your place to ask them. Just say, "How will you go about that then?" If no-one pipes up, you can even ask then, "Stealthy? Or talk around first? Or did you just want to go in guns blazing, remember you are in a public area/they have large numbers/it is well defended." i think eventually they'll get the idea and start offering up those answers without being prompted, but like my core, seasoned group will still get asked those questions sometimes.
>>
>>49491121
my Plague Marine had a thing for stuffing his intestines in his enemy's mouths to ensure even if they somehow got away from me they'd still die
>>
File: 1423464401052.jpg (382KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
1423464401052.jpg
382KB, 1200x801px
>>49500291
>literally stuffing your fucking diseased intestines into an enemy's open mouth to take them out for sure
Fuck, homie.
>>
>>49500291
I honestly can't tell, is that a flaw..? I mean, I would say that they could bite your intestines, but I don't think you'd even feel that or care.
>>
>>49500312
it came in handy at the end of the campaign when the PC's had a 2v2 and I had no chance of beating the Word bearer in close combat so I just tackled him, stuffed his face, then clamped his mouth shut.
I won that campaign
>>
File: 1424034836476.gif (482KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1424034836476.gif
482KB, 300x186px
>>49500291
>>49500350
That's a...creative use of Papa Nurgle's gifts.
>>
>>49500350
This is why you always wear your helmet, kids.
>>
>>49500544
I have a house rule that wounds on the Head location are limited to Toughenss Bonus.

They've all started wearing helmets at all times ever since the Rogue Trader lost an eye to a midget with a knife.
>>
File: 1422190007596.jpg (41KB, 562x437px) Image search: [Google]
1422190007596.jpg
41KB, 562x437px
>>49500586
>ever since the Rogue Trader lost an eye to a midget with a knife

Storytime?
>>
>>49500291
Fucking nurglites.
>>
>>49499973
You need to step up the challange of what they fight then. It's about time for them to run into Necrons or CSM(or CSM statted random xenos)
>>
File: Assassin (4).jpg (51KB, 689x660px) Image search: [Google]
Assassin (4).jpg
51KB, 689x660px
>>49500778
Happened last session.
>Players are settling a Feudal World inhabited by a native population of Ratlings.
>Mostly independant farming villages, kept together in a "nation" by a nation-city ran by a Monarch immune to the opiate effect of the planet's atmosphere (and thus not devoid of ambition).
>Players are offering technology and advanced knowledge to locals in exchange for native knowledge and assistance in establishing their settlement, however this is infuriating the queen who would lose her position of dominance, as the natives rely on her for their "technology", including almost all skilled labour.
>Players (mostly the jackass Captain) decide to go and fucking murder the shit out of her and establish their own patsy to control the planet for them. He originally wanted to bombard the city into the dirt, but it was pointed out they didn't want the natives to hate him.
>Instead, they load up their Guncutter with men, and decide to storm her castle, and kill her, claiming she was a Witch (she was), and replacing her with a noble they found like 2 hours before.
>They land, murder her guards in the castle courtyard with contemptible ease, then start walking inside.
>Captain's removed his helmet and is laughing and jeering at the Queen.
>He fails his Awareness checks horribly, and in his arrogance doesn't notice one of the Queen's spies/assassins hiding in the rafters, which them being Ratlings (and their buildings being constructed for them as such) are actually not that overly far from his face.
>Ratling Assassin jumps down with a sharpened (not even Mono) knife, and sticks it right in his fucking eyeball.
>Not enough to kill him, but enough to scoop an eye out of his skull, he screams for his Arch-Militant to save him as the Ratling grabs ahold of his face, and prepares to stab again, wrestling with this horrible invader
>Arch-Militant, who has no sense of proportion, picks up his meltagun and fires it at his Captain's face
Cont.
>>
>>49500909
>Arch-Militant, who has no sense of proportion, picks up his meltagun and fires it at his Captain's face
Literal lol.
>>
File: 1415828557385.jpg (171KB, 640x970px) Image search: [Google]
1415828557385.jpg
171KB, 640x970px
>>49500867
>It's about time for them to run into Necrons
Problem being, then the rest of the group dies a horrible death, being squishy indept fucksticks.

>>49500909
>The Ratling is removed from corporeal existence, but he deals a single point of damage to his Lord-Captain's face with the horrible backwash of heat
>This sets his hair on fire, burning it from his face, while searing him with enough energy to give him serious burns and render him unconscious
>Giving a "I will murder you" look to the rest of his Armsmen who are standing around in shock, the Arch-Militant radio's it in that the Captain is down from a horrible fire-bomb using Assassin, and sends most of his men away to carry the Captain back to the shuttle
>Proceeding on foot, he marches into the Queen's throne room, and his men are set upon by more assassins. However wearing Carapace, there's dick their diddly little knives can do, so the Ratling just jump on their arms to weight them down, turning the NPC combat into a ludicrous wrestle-fight between veterns of several Imperial Guard campaigns, and some testly little children with sideburns.
>About to mince the Ratling alive with his Heavy Stubber, the Arch-Militant is challenged by the Queen. Unfortunatly for him, he doens't know enough High Gothic to have a clue what she's saying, but the intent is clear.
>He swings around his Meltagun and tries to vaporise her.
>Then there's a protracted series of like 10 rounds where he does nothing but try to shoot her, with her Dodging ludicrouslly, and her attempting to use Psychic powers to fill his lungs with fluid and choke him to death. However both keep passing their tests, which drives the player mad with rage.
>The Voidmaster gets pissed with nothing happening, and takes the shuttle around to blow out the walls with Autocannons.
Cont.
>>
File: 1474179142448.jpg (102KB, 432x585px) Image search: [Google]
1474179142448.jpg
102KB, 432x585px
>>49500909
Holy shit, please continue.
>>
File: 1415816860519.jpg (25KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
1415816860519.jpg
25KB, 275x275px
>>49501013
>Eventually the Arch-Militant gets so angry he throws away his Beamer Meltagun, and runs up with his Chain-Axe.
>At which point the Witch hits him with a gigantic fucking burst of Bio-Lightning. Which were he not wearing fucking Augmetic Engine Plate, would have assuredly killed him.
>However since he is basically wearing armour designed to withstand direct fucking exposure to Plasma Leaks, it merely hurts like the dickens.
>At his point, the critical amount of damage has been reached, and Queen laughts as a chunk of rock hits the Arch-Militant in the head. Apparently a fuckload of missed Plasma Gun shots and a continual bombardment from an autocannon will do a fair bit to fuck with the structural integrity of a Ratling-Made castle.
>She bolts like lighing, he stumbles like a cow. Rocks fall, he doesn't fucking die. Fucking Augmetic Engine Plate.
>Castle falls, Queen disappears, they institute the new King (who thinks they're fucking idiots), and leave for some R&R, and medical attention.
>Captain also realises he'll have to wait like 2 months to get a new eye, given travel time back to Port Wander.
>>
>>49501091
>Plasma Gun shots
Derp, Meltagun.
He doesn't like Plasma, but given his armour, he could probably get away with it.
>>
>>49500909
>>49501013
>>49501091
Beautiful.
Was it as hilarious for you at the time as it is for us reading it?
>>
>>49501091
Is there a seneschal in the group?
>>
>>49501192
It was pretty great. I'm trying to think of the best possible time to have the 3 dragon eggs they've got aboard their ship hatch, and of ways to make them suffer as they dig down into the earths' cruse to find Archeotech ruins.
They also want Lathe funding, but I think I'm going to throw a Magos in bad standing at them who wants to escape Imperial space, and will travel on their ship and help them with their mission, while also providing them with augmentations.
Wonderful, untested, unsanctioned, haphazard, heretek augmentations.
The Arch-Militant wants cybernetic lungs? I'll give him cybernetic lungs.

>>49501195
Nope. Rogue Trader, Explorator, Arch-Militant, Voidmaster, and for next session the guy playing the Missionary's retiring his character to make an Astropath.
>>
>>49501235
Damn. Looking for good advice/stories/other re: Seneschals.
>>
>>49501251
Seneschals are a mixture between an Accountant and James Bond.
You're the cool criminal who has all the answers when your Captain comes calling.
You're the one who really runs the ship, not behind the Captain's back, but in his shadow.
When you need rumors circulated amongst the crew, or quashed, you're the one who's called.
When you need dirt on a tricky business partner, when you need 500 tonnes of Grox Maneure, when you need someone to meet with an underworld kingpin, when you just need the paperwork done, you're the man.
>>
File: 1361447565265.jpg (21KB, 221x224px) Image search: [Google]
1361447565265.jpg
21KB, 221x224px
>>49500909
>>49501013
>>49501091
Holy crap, I would have also given the new noble some plot that screws with their control over the planet after they've left, then watch as their characters struggle between wanting to head back and fix things and not wanting to rehash those memories.
>>
>>49499973
>passes every Toughness check when he's being suffocated with Psychic Powers
I don't think you're using the right Psychic Powers then. Does he have high WP?

>He's also got (and carries) so many fucking guns
How's that equipment load looking then?
>>
In any of the games you've been in, has cover for you or the enemy ever been destroyed before the fight was over?
>>
Hey are there any rules for running massive starship combats in Rogue Trader? Like Im talking fleet v fleet maybe even fleets versus fleets, full on battlefleet gothic scale here. My players are at end game and managing to rusttle up their own crusade fleet with other rogue traders becaues their big bad rival has managed to start his own black crusade as well as make deals with an Ork freebooter and his fleet, so a few big space battles seems apt. I know theres the mass ground combat rules in battlefleet koronus and the squadron rules.
>>
I am new to 40k rpg, and I have a question about the dice. Is is lower is better or higher is better? I want to run Black Crusade, and in the book it says you add +10 and up for easier and easier tasks, but sren't lower rolls better?
>>
>>49503616
>Is is lower is better or higher is better

You want to roll low. So the higher the number, the easier it is to succeed
>>
>>49503616
the +10 gets added onto the stat, not the roll.

You roll the dice, then compare them to a modified stat. Lower is better
>>
>>49503495
have them play a game of battlefleet gothic, but with control of their ally ships based on rolls rather than direct control maybe? Switch back to normal gameplay during boardings.
>>
>>49503633
>>49503637
Thanks anons. Now I can get back to planning my first run. Any tips to making a first DM session run smoothly?
>>
Who runs the mega and how can I get files added to it?
>>
Would deathwatch benefit from getting a Dark-Heresy-ification update?

Wondering if it would help new players any if I shuffled the majority of the rules over.
>>
>>49504080

The easier it is to move between the most popular system and the others the more players it'll have I imagine.

However right now I think that dozens of people are doing their own homebrew for all the systems. It seems that way from the discussions.

A lot of independent work and busywork being done over again which could be made more efficient.
>>
>>49504206

Presumably someone already made a list of all talents/skills/traits sorted by a column for each different system so that you can compare.
>>
>>49503121
My players always forget to use cover and I always forget to remind them.
>>
>>49504054
I second this. The mega is missing Twilight Crusade and I have it.
>>
So, we're gonna start a DH campaign next month, and my players have decided to do super heroes.

So far they've given me the following concepts:
>A bored young spyrer with a Yield suit (pic related) and access to a lot of tech and money, capturing criminals and tying them up to landmarks to feed his ego.
>An ex-arbites that snapped one day and abandoned his post, going on a crusade against gangs and corrupt adepts.
>A super-strong and super-resilient manufactoria mutant worker trying to protect her loved ones and coworkers against all the nasty thing taht you can find in the lower-hive.
>An innocent street urchin that control animals, simply trying to survive for the most part.

The idea seems cool and they're really enthusiatic, byt how do I do superhero stories in 40k(or in rpgs, for that matter)? Any hints?
I was thinking about some investigation to gather up the party, then a few monsters of the week like cultists, rogue bounty hunters, criminal gladiatorial servitors, hereteks or crime lords, and then some big endgame, maybe a planetary invasion, a genestealer uprising, a zombie plague or sort of League of Evil, maybe with a puppeteer psyker at the head.

Also, do you see any gear/career/trait that are must-have for their concepts?
>>
>>49504694
Give them a mysterious benefactor (an Inquisitorial agent) that puts them together to combat the evils that plague the Hive. A Nick Fury type to their Avengers that gives them leads, missions, minor support and what not.

Otherwise your ideas sound very good, but I'd shirk away from the planetary invasion. Keep threats local and make the Hive they're going to operate in feel like their "turf". Their Gotham to the Batmen they're gonna be. And give them a rogues gallery rather than a singular villain if you can.
>>
>>49504694
Read Marshal Law
>>
Does anybody have som good 40k-wallpapers in cellphone format?

All kinds of stuff is welcome, thx!
>>
File: XKCD Competing Standards.png (24KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
XKCD Competing Standards.png
24KB, 500x283px
>>49504206

This is the fate of the 40krpg from now on.
>>
Is there an update Dark Heresy 2nd Edition random home world table?

The one in the Core Rulebook doesn't include the extra home worlds like Research Station:

If using Table 2–1: Random Home World from page 31
of the Dark hErEsy Core Rulebook, a research station
can be generated on a roll of doubles (11, 22, etc.)
>>
Has anyone used the various 30k-era Terminators/Dreadnoughts with Deathwatch? I'm considering porting over my Space Marine chapter, but they've been on penitent exile since pretty close to the Heresy. A lot of their stock is old; Mk. 4 armor (represented), relic Contemptor and Leviathan dreads, mix of regular Indomitus and Cataphractii terminator armor. Not entirely sure how to handle the latter two.
>>
>>49499814
Kinda, but not really.

The various kingdoms were pretty much Dark Ages Europe tech level, but the enforcers of the Lord of Crows (the Psyker-King) were in carapace armor with Hot-Shot Lasguns, and Power Weapons, and their leaders were battle-psykers armed with force weapons.

The way I wove them into the fabric of the planetary society was pretty interesting, if I do say so myself. Their first encounter with and Enforcer knocked them on their asses, and made them radically shift how they approached combat on the world.
>>
>>49506357

Are you sure you mean for the RPG? If so, there's a Great Crusade excel sheet floating around with almost everything from 30k statted on it. If for the tabletop, you want the other General.
>>
>>49504782
T'was a nice read, thanks.

>>49504778
>make the Hive they're going to operate in feel like their "turf"
Any advice on making a good hive? Got the Kal Jericho books and my stash of old WD with necromunda articles as starters.
IIRC only Church of the Damned had some decent hive material, with a nice subadventure in the underhive.

Dunno if I'll succeed in giving them a good rogue gallery, we've been playing together for years and everyone has become a bit paranoid as a result. They usually make enough holes in their opponents to put a Stormlord to shame, then decapitate them and burn the bodies just to be sure. And if they can't get close they're gonna level the whole place.
I guess I'll have to play with the risk of collateral damage and street reputation to allow the villains to escape.
>>
>>49507912
Find ways to finagle recurring villains.

>Artificial Intelligence that manipulates servitors and machines to do its fighting for it
>Mook-heavy mobs of evil creatures like Genestealer Cults
>Villains who don't directly engage the heroes somehow
>Villains that would cause more problems if they were just shot in the head, like a megacorporate CEO

There's options here.
>>
>>49507912
>Any advice on making a good hive?
Step 1: Decide what its overall image to the greater Imperium is, how it presents itself. Is it a great trade nation? A manufacturing hub? A bastion of culture?
Step 2: What does it export and import, besides "people" and "food", respectively?
Step 3: How prosperous is it? How much of that prosperity trickles down to the lower middle class in factory or internal beuracratic jobs? How much trickles down to the poor peons doing unskilled labor in a labor pool of billions? How stable is the society? How tolerant of mutants is it? Any crazy subfactions around?
Step 4: Decide, based on previous answers, exactly how run down and shitty the lower hive is. This will range from "Detroit" to "Kowloon Walled City" to "80s New York" to "Human Occupied Trash Heap". Decide what absolutely awful unofficial jobs exist for local color. A favorite of mine is "Sump trawler", people who strap on stilts and get big nets on long stilts and trawl human and chemical waste sumps for valuables. Don't fall in.
Step 5: How does the mid and upper hive deal with the shittiness of the lower hive?
Also, remember that "Upper" and "Lower" are indicators of quality, not absolute directions. Some Hives may have the poor living in the frozen heights while the rich live deep in the nice warm underground. Have fun.
>>
So I might be running a Rogue Trader game so what homebrew/House Rules should I use?
>>
>>49507401
Yes, for the RPG. Thank you.
>>
>>49508461

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9gu6411up62pc64/Deathwatch_Great_Crusade_Testing_Ground.rar

Shas made these a while back for another book he's working on. It should have some of the starting steps.
>>
>>49508386

None. Don't be That GM.
>>
>>49508677
Fuck off.
>>49508386
Mathhammer ship armor is a popular houserule, as are various flavors of backporting Aptitudes to RT.
>>
>>49508386

Fear and Loathing, and The Fringe is Yours for more xenos, archeotech, knights, that sort of thing.
>>
>>49508750
Honestly, as a constant homebrewer, Shas's shit is the last thing I'd advise a novice GM look at. It's complicated, powerful, full of potential landmines, and wrapped in Shas's tabletop autism and his...unique...take on the setting. It's an invaluable resource for an experienced GM, but a novice is likely to see it blow up in his face.
>>
>>49508386
Messiahcide, still not sure if THE Dark Reign guy, or only A Dark Reign guys has some nice stuff on deviantart. mostly 2nd Edition for DH, but also some RT stuff. I do like his unffinished Psychick Disciplines.

http://messiahcide.deviantart.com/
>>
>>49509427
Yeah, and fucking animesque art, but for each their own. Rules and galactic maps are great.
>>
>PHALANX WALL
>If the Secutarius Hoplite performs the Defensive Stance combat action, adjacent allies may benefit from the defensive field of the Secutarius Hoplite’s Mag-Inverter Shield.

Do we have a range on this?
>>
>>49508750
I wish the Tau shit in that book wasn't so intertwined with special snowflake Dark Eldar alliance bullshit. I just want pure Tau.
>>
>>49508386
None, play the game and make/adjust rules that best fit your group and play style.
>>
>>49509735

I use the books to run a pure tau game. I only had to change the name of one alternate rank, remove Peer (Underworld), and disallow about three weapons, and it works fine. Most of the alliance stuff is in the books' minimal fluff. It models a pure Tau game pretty well.
>>
>>49509716

Adjacent means "right next to," anon. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
>>
>>49490596

She has mechadendrites for hair and a severe demeanor. Very gorgon.
>>
>>49508710
>Mathhammer ship armor is a popular houserule,
Yeah this was kind of what I was looking for since I heard ship combat was a bit messed up
>>
Consider the following: Black Crusade where the players are all stuck inside a Space Hull with the goal to either escape or take total control of the ship.
>>
>>49510712
Laspistols for eyes?
>>
>>49510813

No but she is a psyker so I'm sure she could shoot mind bullets through them.
>>
>>49510770
I think that's the introductory pre-made adventure.
>>
How do you feel about the change to Peer making it for specific organizations instead of broader groups like nobility?
>>
>>49510847
I thought that was them going to a world to get access to some book of prophecies with the Word Bearers
>>
So is it usual to have an overwhelming sense of paranoia in Only War?

Because last night was my first game and it went way too well, to the point that we managed to steal 3 vehicles, blow up a base of over 50 guys with only a 6 man squad (3 of which were our npc followers) set up a perfectly synchronized base breach, and not get a scratch.

I'm scared. Granted, we planned the fuck out of that breach, and killed a good 80% of the base in their barracks while they were asleep, managing to gun down the rest in the open, but still. Synchronized shots with thunder, then timing our det charges to go off with supporting basilisk fire to simulate a mass bombardment is only going to work so many times I feel.

On a scale of 1 to spooked I am seriously spooked. Our commander is a bumbling glory hog and due to the random regiment we rolled up (mining colony artillery regiment) we're playing it as a forward observer team. Given we're some of the only guys up front, I expect the commander is going to want us to take the whole damn enemy by ourselves.

I will say having a GM who rewards clever thinking and "soft skills" like social abilities and being smart enough to account for weather, supplies, and general preparedness is awesome. We spent half an hour planning the base assault on a piece of paper and had a lot of fun building the regiment, to the point where he let us make our "regiment preferred weapon" the entrenching tool so we'd never be without one for all the random things shovels are good for.

And also we're determined to make a power shovel for the glory of our regiment, considering the regiment we rolled up is squats in pretty much every way. We're adapted to tunnel combat, have tech use abilities, specialise artillery, and have the shovel as our preferred weapon. All we need are motorcycles and we're set.
>>
Any experience with Astral Spectres? I was thinking of sending one or two after my players (DH1 rank 3 almost 4) but realized that the Spectres would probably be invulnerable.
>>
Best specialty to focus an Only War psyker down?
>>
>>49511427
That's the book adventure.
Broken Chains is the introductory adventure with pre-made characters designed for anyone to be able to just pick up.
It involves waking up from stasis tubes aboard an Inquisitorial prison vessel adrift in space, seemingly for hundreds of years.
You take over the vessel, and pilot it into the Screaming Vortex.
>>
>>49512324
So do the adventure, then the book, then the first big book for adventures?
>>
>>49512366
Do whatever the hell you want.

First game, I rehashed Broken Chains to be more fun.
Turns out, you wake up WHEN shit's going down.
So the Astartes got to have a load of fun murdering and entire fucking horde of Arbites.
Then they broke all the prisoners out of their cages.
Then went to the bridge and murdered the fuck out of the Inquisitor.

So then they had a fully functioning prison ship full of psycho-murderers... Falling straight into the Screaming Vortex. Where it crashed on Xurunt. Which lead to a whole load of fun.
>>
>>49511922
Probably a sniper, so Weapons Specialist.
>>
>>49513135
Not what I meant. Psykers are their own specialty. Biomancy, pyromancy, divination, telepathy, telekinesis?
>>
>>49513355
Oh, "down" was probably not the right word to put at the end there, I thought you meant focus as in focus fire.

Up to you, but Telepathy is always loads of fun from my DH experience.
>>
>>49490596

Our Inquisitor is a pompous dick. He's a self hating telepath of the Ordo Xenos who's an Istvaanian. The guy hooks the party up with Rogue Trader/Noble tier accommodations but literally gives us 0 money, and kit has to be on an as needs basis. Guy's only psychic power is he can read everyones mind like an empty book and abhors witches (including himself).
>>
My Vostroyan Firstborn party managed to easily (because I forgot to factor natural armor and TB into the damage taken) take down a Chaos Spawn, and have cooped themselves up in an abandoned Departmento Munitorum building in a large city. The world is currently besieged by Chaos, who have converted pretty much the entire population.

To make up for the Chaos Spawn being waaaay too easy, since it died in like two rounds, I wanna throw something tough but not impossible at them. What do you guys suggest? Keep in mind, it's an urban environment.
>>
>>49513581

Roving band of cultists
>>
>>49513581

A genestealer.
>>
So I'm curious, how do you guys/your GMs deal with XP?

I'm an assassin in a solo campaign with a small support team there for tech/knowledge that one character can't have. I'm taking on missions that a team would be sent on, though I'm advancing at standard pace (200 xp per session, 50 per major objective).

What do you guys do? Is that what you would do if you were running such a campaign?
>>
>>49513459
>Istvaanian
Fucking Istvaanians.

>>49514425
I don't care enough to really give more/less XP for certain events, so really it's about 500 per session for me.
>>
>>49514425
I made the mistake of giving my party around 700 xp each. Never again. I typically keep it around 100-200 depending on how much shit they accomplish.
>>
File: 1471559258492.jpg (409KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1471559258492.jpg
409KB, 1280x1024px
What tips would you give to a group of players new to Only War? To give you some background, 2 of the 5 players in my group do not know much about 40k and we've only ever played DnD 5e.
>>
>>49516260
You have been taken from your home and (probably) drafted into the eternal, bone-grinding war machine of the Imperial Guard.
You will fight and die to horrifying monsters in far flung locations so those at home can work to provide the materials for you to fight.
Your equipment is mediocre, your enemies are ruthless, and your superiors do not care if you live or die.

Use cover, use stealth, use explosives.
Armored support is a long way off, and air support is a luxury.
The Commisar gets off on executing Heretics, and has a very wide definition of what those are.
Your first action in combat should be to dive behind cover, you can do that with Dodge, and you even get a bonus.
Suppressive fire is good for getting enemies away from you, even if you suck with a gun, you can do that.
Your Comrades are useful, don't disregard them as a worthless addition.
Healing is slow, and wounds burn quickly, don't be an idiot.
>>
>>49514425
We get 1000xp from the first session then it starts slowly decreasing.
>>
File: krieg2.jpg (112KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
krieg2.jpg
112KB, 400x400px
>>49516260
You are no heroes, buy bunch of grunt trying to surivive in Vietnam and West Front reimagined by Hieronymus Bosch. In an army of insane totalitarian empire run by Dark Ages mentality.

Have fun.
>>
Does anyone have a conversion of DH2E equipment to DH1E prices? Considering how divisive Influence tests have been, I'm surprised I haven't found a conversion yet.
>>
>>49504003
Have a solid idea of what you want to bring to the table, a solid grasp on the lore.
Have nothing but notes about the game, improv the rest.
Have a stock cast of npcs on hand of various types to use, players tend to talk to a lot of people. Remember they have their own goals and ambitions, and they do not exist for the pcs to feel better about themselves.
>>
>>49506020
>Is there an update Dark Heresy 2nd Edition random home world table?
FFG's website hopefully still has it.
>>
>>49511462
>paranoia
Yes. It keeps you alive.
>>49511375
Better in the sense that if you move between worlds, your Peer talent doesn't become useless. The Adeptas are the only stable part of the setting.
>>
>>49513581
The spawn wasn't easy, you fucked up.
Send another 1 or 2 backed up by cultist handlers.
>>
File: 1464243989846.jpg (11KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
1464243989846.jpg
11KB, 194x259px
>tfw your session went terribly
>>
File: 1448811250054.jpg (161KB, 625x702px) Image search: [Google]
1448811250054.jpg
161KB, 625x702px
>tfw the team medic literally had her eye shot out, all the people we were supposed to rescue died, but hey, I took only a scratch, whupped mutant ass and helped bully an entire pdf platoon into doing what we wanted
>another day in the inquisition
>>
File: kerrigan_by_alexey_konev-d5r6j99.jpg (679KB, 1204x815px) Image search: [Google]
kerrigan_by_alexey_konev-d5r6j99.jpg
679KB, 1204x815px
>>49510845
So Inquisitor Sarah Kerrigan?
>>
>>49490596
New Rogue Trader GM here, I have read the core rules and I am not sure I understand how ability rolls work. Can you roll base abilities like Strength or must they be skills always? I don't know if this is normal but my players are rolling difficulties of 15 on their basic skills since it's halved.
How would you go about a mission of purging a genestealer cult for rank 1 players?
>>
>>49517790
Of course you can roll base characteristics for things. Lifting a heavy crate, for example, is not tied to any skill.

>How would you go about a mission of purging a genestealer cult for rank 1 players?

That's something a Dark Heresy party would do, not a Rogue Trader and his merry band.
>>
So, Astropaths are used for long range communication across the imperium, right? How long is "long range"? What is used for shorter range, say, within the same system?

Additionally, can Astropaths send video/image data, or is it just text/speech only?
>>
>>49518061
Through the systems, sometimes through the sectors, conditions of warp and skill and equipement of astropath are also an important factors. Messages are often relayed via several astropaths. And inter-system astropathy is in use for quick communication, as the vox has some lag.

Rather than text/video/audio, astrotelepathy is about sending words, visions, smells, symbols and premonitions. In one memorable DH session, we were deciphering a warning in form of a fucking poetry.
>>
>>49517790
>a mission of purging a genestealer cult
Rogue Trader is about business ventures, not fumigation.
So if you were to say, in order to the the upper hand on negotiating a Contract, the Rogue Trader sees about "taking care of some competition", who just so happen to be a Genestealer cult, then sure.
>>
File: tinyprobingattackbyimperialguard.jpg (594KB, 990x1227px) Image search: [Google]
tinyprobingattackbyimperialguard.jpg
594KB, 990x1227px
Dark Heresy newfag here.

So i heard that system is literary Dark Souls tier brutal?

Are PC really dying left and right?

I would actually like it but the question how you deal with something like that on Campaigning level or if i change tactics and just do one shoots how i deal with player character complexity and backstory then?
>>
>>49518390
>Dark Souls tier brutal
Only if you're a fucking idiot and don't use cover, run straight into fully automatic weaponry, don't Dodge, and don't wear armour.
>>
File: coverisfor.jpg (118KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
coverisfor.jpg
118KB, 960x540px
>>49518411
>>
>>49516908
>divisive
No, it's just 1e grognards whinging whilst they stick to 1e, then everyone sensible just using 2e.
>>
>>49518390
Can we stop relating things to Dark Souls? Can we stop thinking of Dark Souls as hard? I mean come on, DaS3 was a fucking cakewalk, those games are only "hard" if you have no common sense and sprint blindly into obvious warning signs.

And no, OW is actually far more brutal as players only end up with like 1 or 2 Fate points. I suppose characters can go down easily and TPKs are easy enough should the party's front line go down, however yeah anyone can burn Fate to just survive death (albeit with some kind of permanent scarring/disfigurement). Still, our party's been going for over a year now I think, we've just breached 10,000 XP and we still have some original members, the characters lost were on the decision of the players, too.
>>
>>49518573

I used this ironically as a meme.

Im pretty fucking sick and i was just to lazy to come up with an explanation and this is a reference everyone understands.

Are Fate Points necessary? Can i do without them?
>>
>>49518633
>Are Fate Points necessary?
If your GM is GMing correctly, yes. Challenging checks can bring some harsh negatives and you start with some pretty low attribute scores and only basic training in a few skills. Far too often you'll have a pivotal skill check at a 50% chance or less, you need that option to spend Fate and reroll.

>Can i do without a key feature of an RPG system?
Let me answer with another question, fucking why? I never understand this mentality.
>I'm new to a system, and at first glance I don't like this mechanic so I'm gonna remove it!
It all works together, just fucking trust the people who wrote the book and all the people who play it.
>>
>>49518690

holy shit you need to get laid
you are one tense motherfucker ya'know?
>>
>>49518705
>dude get laid LOL
Normies get out REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

In all seriousness, I'm just so fucking sick of all the whining.
>wahhh I don't like Influence because I don't understand it, remove!
>bawww this guy dodged my shot should I ask GM to remove dodging?
>>
>>49518633
>Are Fate Points necessary? Can i do without them?
No, and not unless you want everyone to fail and die horribly. They're more than just "I didn't die just then" points, they allow you to re-roll failed tests, which quite frankly is important given how shitty the success chance is on most rolls.
>>
>>49518633
If you really want the game to be extra-lethal I'd only go so far as limiting the characters to their minimum amount of Fate Points (1 or 2 in DH1, depending on their home world) and never handing out new ones. That way they can still re-roll failed rolls occasionally.

Removing Fate Points altogether is a horrible idea.
>>
>>49518390
>>
Only dying is boring. Drive them insane, corrupted beyond reason, posses them, poison them, subvert with psychic powers and heretek, mind cleanse them, force them to mutilate themselves, commit suicide with good reason (psykana mercy blade anyone?), sell their souls for power to save lives, kill the innocent and in the quiet moment throw hallucinogenic gas at them.

Dying. Jeez.
>>
File: krieg3.jpg (113KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
krieg3.jpg
113KB, 400x400px
>>49518390
Commissar has been informed about your thoughtcrime of naïveté.
>>
File: rage.jpg (93KB, 946x542px) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
93KB, 946x542px
>>49490596
Does anybody have the pdf of original, squated Dark Heresy 2nd edition Beta? I remember hating the combat system, but there was some nice stuff with fear/insanity/corruption and dodge/parry being opposed test. Want to fish for some rules tweaking
>>
>>49519113
>dodge/parry being opposed test
It's called Inescapable Attack.
>>
I haven't been here in awhile. Why should I switch to 2E of Dark Heresy? Sell me on it.
>>
>>49519133
Oh, there it went. Still, would like to check the original beta.
>>
>>49519222
Yeah, I like it because the players start off cursing anything with high Dodge/Parry and really struggling against them, but then they reach a high enough level to afford Inescapable Attack and it turns the tables in a satisfying way.

Can't help you with the Beta book though, sorry.
>>
>>49490596
Are there any good Warhammer 40k MUD's out there? I'd dig one if I could find one. Lord knows it'd make for a great hack-n-slash.
>>
>>49519324
Like Eternal Crusade perhaps?
>>
>>49508793
>It's an invaluable resource for an experienced GM, but a novice is likely to see it blow up in his face.

Honestly, this. If you know what you're doing, those books are an absolute godsend, and an invaluable resource that adds variety and convenience to a game. But they may be confusing for newer people. Even the books themselves say that the stuff within is best used with experienced GMS and players only.
>>
>>49519487
Don't recommend that tripe to anyone, jesus christ anon.
>>
>>49519617
I haven't really followed it, sorry!
>>
>>49519487
I didn't even expect anyone to reply.

>Look up aforementioned MUD on TMC
>Medieval Fantasy
>"Sexually-Oriented and Adult-Level Violence"

I'll let that one lie for a bit, mate. Currently playing The Inquisition : Legacy, had a bit much of the Medieval setting for now.
>>
File: latest-1.jpg (43KB, 900x546px) Image search: [Google]
latest-1.jpg
43KB, 900x546px
Would it be better for a new GM to make a skitarii cohort in Obly War with some of the splat book options, or use the Shas'o book?
>>
>>49519673
I'm afraid I've completely misinterpreted your question. I was referring to "Eternal Crusade" which is a 40k MMO third-person shooter.
>>
>>49519673
>>49519770
Kek, I was going to say, I think he means the much more recent Eternal Crusade as an answer to your hack 'n' slash comment. That game looks like a bowl of tripe.

However yeah, there does seem to be The Eternal Crusade which is a MUD, though I can't say I have experience with it since I just don't see the appeal of MUDs.
>>
>>49519695

The official books were made before the Skitarii had a defined identity. They can make generic Tech Guard and snowflake Crimson Guard without problems. Counts As to model actual Skitarii will need to be stretched to its utmost limit, even past the breaking point. Mars Needs Women models the actual Skitarii quite well though. They're xp intensive since their best stuff is all exotic, and their tools are rare as fuck. They have everything they need to start off though.

I was considering using the book myself I'd I start an Admech game.
>>
>>49510582
so... touching?
>>
>>49494544
They do take back worlds that tried to secede from Imperium. If the planet had important facilities like factories, mines or huge farms they might not even bombard everything into rubble (though the amount of Chaos heresy involved and the individuals judging the process make the biggest difference between a planet being Exterminatused or simply resettled.)

If they choose to resettle they will go to the nearest Hive planet or penal colony, load up a few dozen (or hundred) million people onto spaceships and bring them to their new homeworld with an order to fix things up and START PAYING THE TITHE ASAP!
>>
>>49494309
Only War. The characters are soldiers. They are less likely to know about the life outside their home planet than characters in any other FFG Warhammer 40k RPG. Even the Space marines know stuff, even if it is purely so that they are better at killing things. And the agents of Inquisition are learning about the inner workings of the Imperium constantly. Meanwhile the Astra Militarum go from one battlefield to another to kill traitorious heretics and horrible Xenos monstrosities and spending their nights in the trench hoping that it would rain less tomorrow.
>>
File: Adjacent.png (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Adjacent.png
20KB, 640x480px
>>49520644
This is how it's defined within the game.
>>
>>49521190
Cheers
>>
Is Only War any good?
>>
>>49521226
Yes.
>>
>>49521226
>is this RPG played by thousands of people and which has a foothold in this international, regular thread good?

I dunno anon.
>>
How secular can one be in the Imperium without being burned on a stake for not masturbating to a rotting corpse ten times per day? Religious fanatics always get under my skin, and I can't roleplay them properly.
>>
>>49521462
(You)
>>
>>49521579
(You) too. Can you answer the question now?
>>
>>49521589
Play Black Crusade.
>>
>>49521612
Oh, sorry, I was thinking about DH2. Guess I should have mentioned that.
>>
>>49521589
I think what my slightly more impatient friend here is trying to say, is that secular religion is heresy and maybe you should be playing Black Crusade or Rogue Trader, ie. outside of the Imperium.

You don't have to praise the Emperor as violently as a Ministorum Priest, but by the Emperor if you don't praise him you're not an Imperial citizen, let alone any soldier or agent of the Imperium.
>>
>>49521620
>playing Dark Heresy
>playing the Inquisition, carrying out the will of the God-Emperor
>not being pious
Really good bait, got me to reply
>>
>>49521697

I imagined it would be a case of inquisitor giving a person from a feral world an offer he couldn't refuse.

So he works for the Inquisition because he has to, not because he's a fanatic.
>>
>>49521733
Even feral worlds have churches to the God-Emperor anon, and any induction into the Inquisition comes with tests of faith and brainwashing to some degree. Just step out of your comfort zone for once dude.
>>
>>49521733
>>49521782
And to clarify again, you don't have to mention your faith every sentence, you barely have to mention it at all, because it's just a given that you believe. On the contrary however, not believing, or having some secular bullshit is not going to fly, especially not in the Inquisition.
>>
>>49521624
Not that anon but I thought it was an interesting question. Can a Fedora wearer survive in the Imperium by hiding their lack of faith?
>>
>>49521866
What if it's a really pragmatic, radical Inquisitor that fully expects the Fedora lord to die horribly anyway? Not sure why you guys are so angry (although that comment about not being able to RP fanatics was weird) Characters that conflict with the norms of a setting can be very interesting if handled right. Conflict is the essence of drama and all that.
>>
>>49521782

Most do, I would have to come up with something recently discovered that had abandoned worship of big E.

>>49521866

I was assuming the Inquisition would recruit all kinds of useful individuals regardless of their beliefes to further their own agenda. I would assume that the inquisitor would have the other party members keep an eye on the secular one, and take action if necessary.

Then I was envisioning that the bonds of the party would turn out so strong that the beliefs of the one person in the party wouldn't matter anymore. As long as he's not openly practicing heresy, of course
>>
>>49521908
Yes and no. If you're ever randomly questioned, you will be found out and executed.

Random questioning is daily at random
intervals.

You ARE a loyal, faithful, citizen of the Imperium, right?

But no, there are no true fedoras in 40k. You're a heretic either for not believing something proven to be true, or worshipping Chaos/false gods who are not the Emperor. Heretic.
>>
>>49521782
>Even feral worlds have churches to the God-Emperor anon,
Don't they vary a ton in the nature of this worship though?
>>
>>49521981

Being secular != being an idiot.

>You ARE a loyal, faithful, citizen of the Imperium, right?

Yeah sure.

>On your way then, citizen.
>>
>>49521981
>Yes and no. If you're ever randomly questioned, you will be found out and executed.
You can't just lie? And I never got the idea the Imperium was this monolithic and omnipresent. Kind of the opposite, actually. That it was decentralized and fairly hands off by necessity of its vast scale.
>>
>>49521981
>Random questioning is daily at random intervals.
No it isn't. The Imperium has a quadrillion individuals, there isn't enough manpower in the universe to do daily questionings of that many people. Besides, questioning to the depth that you /will/ be found out would be a multi-day affair requiring several specialists.

Remember, the Imperium is feudal, not fascist. It can't even keep good records of how many planets it has, much less run a universal panopticon.
>>
>>49521960
The problem with your reasoning is that the Ecclisiarchy always converts newly found planets with a human population into worshipping the Emperor. Be it through altering their current faiths to an acceptable degree, full on conversions, or if too far gone, a complete purge of the population and recolonization with loyal, Emperor-worshipping subjects.

The problem with your second point is that you assume 40k to be a logical setting. It is not. Heresy is not tolerated, even among friends.
>>
>>49521981
Just because you don't believe doesn't mean that you have to shout it out at every street corner

Being in the Imperium and openly saying that you don't like the Emperor is like going into Britain and yelling you don't like Allah. Only an absolute idiot would expect anything except summary beheading.
>>
>>49522017
Yeah, they just check to make sure that they're not worshipping xenos or chaos or mutants. Other than that, they just say that they're worshipping the Emperor and everything's okay.
>>
>>49521908
In the group of people specifically tasked with hunting "fedora wearers" ? No. Also I don't think you grasp the concept of brainwashing, like fedora wearers don't even exist since the regular Imperial citizen rarely ever considers not praising the Emps, and when they do it's because of external influence ala chaos gods, xenos mindfuckery...

>>49521933
That person would be locked in chains by an Inquisitor who found them useful, sent off to be brainwashed further, to become a penitent. We're not angry, the question just shows a real lack of understanding of the setting, and trying to implement such a character will only cause party disruptions and even give the other players free reign to kill you.
>>
>>49522100
>In the group of people specifically tasked with hunting "fedora wearers" ? No.
You got Inquisitors deliberately making daemon hosts and using xeno weapons. Why not?

>Also I don't think you grasp the concept of brainwashing, like fedora wearers don't even exist since the regular Imperial citizen rarely ever considers not praising the Emps,
Being propagandized from birth =/- brain washing, and no civilization in history has ever managed uniorm belief, no matter how repressive. There are still flat earthers today for a reason. The only thing different in the Imperium is the flat earther movement would be entirely underground.
>>
>>49522068
The opposite is also true though, as I've bbee saying just because you DO believe doesn't mean that you have to shout it from the rooftops.
>>
>>49522132
Those Inquisitors still worship the Emperor though. They regularly skirt the line between heresy, and in the new Deathwatch fluff, if they believe they've gone too far, they hunt them down because of this.
>>
>>49522100
>and trying to implement such a character will only cause party disruptions and even give the other players free reign to kill you.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that though, as long as the GM and players are on board with it.
>>
>>49522145

But that's not relevant.
>>
>>49522132
Those are radicals, and are equally as heretical.

>trying to compare our world with 40K
Why won't you just listen to us mate? Why are you so hellbent on this?
>>
>>49522132
Dude, those Inquisitors are usually declared heretics and hunted down by other Inquisitors if found out. And like >>49522155 said, they're also hunted down by the Deathwatch in the new lore.
>>
>>49522155
Of course. But they're willing to use tools that are anathema to the Imperium. An acolyte is ultimately just a tool.
>>
>>49522166
Right, until first session someone rocks up with a Hierophant who BLAMMS you on sight, reroll character.
>>
>>49522185
>it's fantasy why not just have gumdrops rain from the heavens
40k may be a grotesquely caricaturized reality, but it still has some basis in our own. If a comparison is useful and a plot point traditionally interesting, why not stretch it a bit?

>Why won't you just listen to us mate? Why are you so hellbent on this?
I'm not even the guy that started this.
>>
>>49522180
Yes, it is. You don't want to RP as hugely pious or fanatical, you don't have to. It's just understood that in the background you believe and worship.
>>
>>49522203
>Dude, those Inquisitors are usually declared heretics and hunted down by other Inquisitors if found out.
So? Fun plot point, sounds like.
>>
>>49522228

And the point is that I'm not going to play such a character.
>>
>>49522228
There's probably also at least a few people that don't really give a shit one way or the other but go through the motions because everyone else does. I didn't assume the guy's idea was to play 40k Richard Dawkins. Although that would be kind of hilarious.
>>
>>49522234
Nice way to die, sounds like. Anyway there's a system for that, it's called Black Crusade or reworking the Radical's Handbook for 2e
>>
>>49522246
Then don't play Dark Heresy, or Only War for that matter. Don't want to stick with the setting, don't play it.
>>
>>49522268
>Nice way to die, sounds like.
This is Dark Heresy.
>>
>>49522291

Could you please point out the place in the handbook where it says that you have to be fanatical to some degree? I'm new and don't know the book inside out. If you would be so kind.
>>
>>49517845
>>49518217
Damn, it seems like we wanted to play dark heresy all along.
>>
>>49522305
Actually, DH is the most survivable of the 40K systems.
>>
>>49522291
How autistic of you. The setting isn't consistent with itself in the first place, and the Imperium is so large that virtually anything imaginable has happened at least once. As long as its well handled and the rest of the setting reacts to it realistically, what's the problem?

I'd only object if he went around handing out copies of "The God Delusion" without eating a bolter.
>>
>>49521263
Let's be honest, that applies to games like Pathfinder, Shadowrun, Traveller and DnD of all editions. Plenty of people will argue that some or all of those are shit despite, or because of, their popularity.
>>
>>49522322
That's not saying a ton.
>>
>>49518690
I made the opposite mistake coming from 3.5 and thought melee needed a strength and a half rule for two handing. Literally every character death in half a dozen campaigns is my fault
>>
>>49522318
Read all of the fluff.

>>49522325
The problem with it is that the setting reacting realistically is for any pious or empowered Imperial agent to put a bullet through his head at first mention. It's not something you skip lightly around, and it's not something that can really be hidden well. Again, it's heresy and unless you're playing with an already radical party...
>>
>>49522399
>Read all of the fluff.

Would take too long. Just quote the part in the handbook where it's stated and I'm content.
>>
>>49522318
You don't have to play a fanatic, not even in Dark Heresy.

a) Some people in the Imperium are merely casually religious and don't get blammed (unless some particularly trigger happy preacher spots them.)
b) The Inquisition makes use of traitors and all kinds of heretics occasionally. Someone who is an atheist would likely be taken in at gunpoint and told to serve the Imperium as penance for his insufficient fate. And despite what the others said here, as long as your character does his/her job they are not likely to get blammed. If some hierophant goes around executing agents of the Inquisition without permission their boss will give them a few trips to the torture chamber to teach them why wasting Inquisition property is not a smart choice.

And once again, the radical members of the Inquisition use xenos, mutants and even demons if they find it necessary. Someone taking in an atheist who has useful skills wouldn't even count as a radical. Just as long as the poor disposable henchman doesn't try to convert the others to atheism.
>>
>>49522399
>Read all of the fluff.
I don't think he needs to know about the Squats. Besides, doesn't matter. First thing that happened with the first game I ran of Dark Heresy was this old school 40k grognard bitching to me about all the ways the basic rulebook contradicted the lore.

>is for any pious or empowered Imperial agent to put a bullet through his head at first mention.
He better not mention it then. Wouldn't it be mroe constructive if instead of saying "kek fuck you don't do this" we talk about ways it might work, at least for the duration of a campaign?
>>
>>49522328
Right, but would you go to the general threads of those games to ask? And would you take the vocal minorities' opinion?
>>
>>49522420

Now thank you, that's the answer I was looking for
>>
>>49521226
Yep, try not to treat it too seriously though, PCs will die and lots of cool gear and skills are available, so let the players have fun and experiment.
>>
>>49522425
The problem is his Inquisitor would know, and he wouldn't keep it too much of a secret. It's his job after all to investigate any disloyalty.
>>
>>49495132
>Be me
>Be infantry
>Guy in squad has ranger scroll he keeps in pocket
>Says it "motivates him"
>PSG sees it one day
>"Ah, I see we've got some RANGERS here"
>"Alright RANGERS, lets see how RANGER you wanna be."
>PSG took us on a "special op"
>mfw I will never be that beat down in my life again

Worst case he sees the heresy and lets you go.
>>
>>49522477
Good leverage on the disposable pawn, then.
>>
>>49522343
>thought melee needed a strength and a half rule for two handing
Fucking christ, did you READ the books first?
Twohanded weapons almost always come with higher base damage or pen to compensate.
>>
>>49521908
It's not really interesting because it's been posed many times before, with the answer always being "You keep that shit to yourself, and you might live longer".
You can believe whatever you want, but if you are in the Imperium of Man, your opinion is WRONG, period, and you will be killed by authorities acting under righteousness.
The cargo cult nature of the Imperium is one of it's defining themes for a reason.
>>
>>49522420
B, that's called a penitent and they end up more fanatical than most.

And my problem isn't with an Inq taking in an atheist, but why is that person atheist to start with and why aren't they converted before/during their time in the Inquisition? Carting around a non-believer is such a huge liability.
>>
>>49522551
Maybe there's plot reasons the Inquisitor needs the acolyte fairly unmodified?
>>
>>49522534

this

i mean its the whole point of a theme right?

same as human looking eldars and heavy metal chaos marines, you can ball with that or change it a bit but general rule of thumb in grim derpnes of 40k is that no matter what you do you are still a fucking heretic, period
>>
>>49522597
Such as..? Remember, this is all because a guy is squeamish about his character being religious in the background. Is it really worth making some convoluted and/or shaky reasoning to explain it?
>>
>>49522633
Something good might come out of it. Who knows. Maybe the acolyte knows something the Inquisitor needs, but is dangerous to extract from him via conventional methods? All kinds of weird warp or xeno shenanigans might explain that.
>>
>>49522679
So how does that interfere with him being converted again?
>>
>>49522703
No torture or mind raping or brainwashing games.
>>
File: 1440685242966.jpg (2MB, 2103x3155px) Image search: [Google]
1440685242966.jpg
2MB, 2103x3155px
>>49522633
>this is all because a guy is squeamish about his character being religious in the background
I have a player like that, has some religious issues they don't want to face.
I told them outright that they don't need to be be a fanatic, but to realize that if they bring their lack of faith due to inner conflict to the CHARACTER, the setting will drop the hammer on them without remorse.
Hell, other pcs may (will likely) do it first, because that is the nature of the Imperium.
So the player, being half ass responsible, has kept it out of character, and even worked their crisis of faith into their character's backstory as something to be confronted and resolved, which has increased their engagement with the game and setting as a whole.
That is how you do it right, not run away or try to act as though it doesn't exist because you the player doesn't like it.
Reminds me of another player (who got booted out) who did their damndest to openly affront the Imperial Cult because "they couldn't roleplay blind faith".
Fucking idiot, game is so much better with him gone.
>>
>>49522726
Propaganda and general religious appeal tactics would still be used heavily.
>>
>>49522749
>Propaganda and general religious appeal tactics would still be used heavily.
That doesn't work on everyone. If the character is still an unbeliever at this point then it's gonna take the hard stuff to change it.
>>
How much PF do y'all think the husk of a Universe Class Mass Conveyor is worth? An Inquisitor is going to order my party to blow one up and give them the salvage rights as a reward
>>
>>49522747
Yeah, that I all agree with.

>>49522770
Eh, it still smacks of player wanting to stay snug in their comfort zone, and I just don't like the idea of making up some macguffin excuse like that at all.
>>
>>49522811
>Eh, it still smacks of player wanting to stay snug in their comfort zone, and I just don't like the idea of making up some macguffin excuse like that at all.
It could certainly go that way but let's not dismiss it out of hand, is all I'm saying.
>>
>>49522747
>Reminds me of another player (who got booted out) who did their damndest to openly affront the Imperial Cult
Story time..?
>>
I figure there are plenty of people who pay lip service to the Emperor but at the end of the day care more about getting their next meal or pay or whatever. People have always been like that and always will be. Obviously not blaspheming outright, just having other things prioritized.
>>
>>49522855
Yeah. Much like most people acknowledge the sky is blue but don't right poems about its awesome blueness. It's just a fact of life they don't think about.
>>
>>49522811
>>49522837
Anons, please, we are talking in circles.
I, as a player and GM, would not force a player to practice something in a game they honestly weren't comfortable with. A game ought to be fun, and if it makes it less so, then it should not be.
However, such a player would get the standard battery of warnings about lack of faith, and be asked some very pointed questions about how they would respond if authorities, citizens, and their own group began asking questions or making accusations.
They must be prepared for what is to come.
>>49522844
Soon to come.
>>49522855
This is also true.
>>
>>49522799
>blow up a hulked Universe class
Is that Inquisitor retarded? You clear it out and salvage that shit intact.
>>
>>49522811
Because god forbid people feel comfortable when playing a game with their friends.
>>
>>49522924
No, the Inquisitor is ordering them to turn it into a hulk. And then letting them salvage it.

It's a living fleeing ship when they first encounter it.
>>
>>49522920
>However, such a player would get the standard battery of warnings about lack of faith, and be asked some very pointed questions about how they would respond if authorities, citizens, and their own group began asking questions or making accusations.
>They must be prepared for what is to come.
That's very reasonable. I just think with some creativitiy it could even turn into something interesting.
>>
>>49523030
The Gm can only do so much tho. The player has to bring the conflict and the resolution, for or against. If the player doesn't want to face the conflict, well, what can you do?
>>49522844
Next thread, yo
>>
>>49522855

I'm the guy who brought it up, and this is basically what I was thinking. The extent of my question was supposed to be more along the lines of "I'm playing an agnostic character, how much disregard of religious practices can I reasonably get away with" rather than "is it at all possible to play a secular character". Because obviously, with the omnipresence of Emperor worship in the Imperium, being openly agnostic would make one stick out like a white man in Sweden, and very quickly result in a need of creating a new character.
>>
>>49523235
New thread!
>>
>>49516908
>>49518533

This.
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.