[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/ I'm looking to run a DnD game (inb4 "find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: finish conscripts.jpg (212KB, 1274x710px) Image search: [Google]
finish conscripts.jpg
212KB, 1274x710px
Hey /tg/
I'm looking to run a DnD game (inb4 "find another game") and I'm looking to have each player be capable of commanding and fighting alongside squads of up to 100 soldiers. What is the best way to implement such a mechanic without having to role hundreds of dice?
>>
>>49436064
Find another game.

Seriously, the military rules for DnD are horrendous.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-when-armies-clash
>>
>>49436064
Roll dice for every group of 10-20 soldiers, call it squad combat or some shit.
>>
>>49436064
>the military rules for DnD are horrendous
Also, there are miniatures wargames, and retroclone games identical to certain editions of DnD that are actually intended to make this kind of game work.

>I want to run an investigative cosmic survival-horror where the players are high-powered United Nations representatives navigating subtle GoT-style politics in a dystopic sci-fi setting full of giant mechas
>No, I want to do it in DnD because I'm not willing to try other games
>Why are you crushing my dreams anon?
>>
File: 1422441725450.jpg (227KB, 993x871px) Image search: [Google]
1422441725450.jpg
227KB, 993x871px
Ah, good old Finnish military. Where boys are turned into men, and the men are turned into gibbering retards.
>>
>>49436064
Yeah, find another game.
Or you could just end every round with the sentence "And there's lots of fighting around you."
>>
>>49436064
Just decide how the battle goes in a way that enhances the story's tension, elation and progress.
>>
>>49436555
I don't think OP knows how to do that.
>>
>>49436498
>if I don't know what I'm doing, then the enemy doesn't know either!
>>
>>49436064
Fuck your rules, OP. Don't use D&D. Seriously, it's not at ALL designed for anything more than one or two PCs per player. It's essentially a fantasy adventure novel simulator, not a military strategy game.
>>
>>49436498
I know this drill, it's actually a lot of fun if you get into it.
>>
>>49436601
Then OP should scake down his conflict. Otherwise his 'epic battle' will just be a fan fic cluster the players will get annoyed by.
>>
>>49436064
Rune Quest abstracts the armies as characters, and treats each Hit Point of damage as one casualty.

Basically, roll up an abstracted character representing the average soldier in each regiment, and make them fight, bish bash bosh.

You'll want to put some descriptive work in to make the scene zing; put your players in commander positions, and have each command a detatchment of men; if one side starts losing drastically at some arbitrary level make them take a will save or begin to flee.
>>
Look up Pathfinder's Ultimate Campaign - there are rules for managing armies.
>>
>>49436064
Battlesystem

The 3.0 splatbook "War" had an interesting theater of the mind system for resolving combat
>>
>>49436064

Listen, can I call you Faggot? Anyway, Faggot, don't ever start a fuckin' conversation with "I want to do a stupid thing. Don't tell me not to do the stupid thing." That never begins well, much less ends well.

This thing you want, D&D isn't designed for it. It's just not. It's a totally different type of game. There's some stuff that can be used to simulated big fuckoff Helm's Deep battles where people are murdering each other all around them and they get to help, but that's just meant to be a one-off.

This thing you want with everybody having their own XCOM unit? Totally wrong fuckin' direction, man. Not a D&D thing at all. Either get you some Risk-looking wargame rules and build around that, of switch it up and work out some Seal Team 6 shit for you buds to go do with the real D&D rules. Okay, Sport?

Good talk, Faggot. Thanks for stopping by.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.