[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 31

File: Character_e2f110_5847534.jpg (81KB, 736x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Character_e2f110_5847534.jpg
81KB, 736x1300px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Last Session
>>49412290

Is the soultrade a buyer's or seller's market?
>>
File: Daperton.jpg (319KB, 1097x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Daperton.jpg
319KB, 1097x1920px
>>49422665
How the fuck do I map out a small city?
>>
>>49422691
First answer, get Vornheim and alter the tables.

Second answer, don't. Map general areas in the city, and make a few random tables to work out what happens if the players go wandering in that area. Generally cities are less about the exact route, and more about knowing the place exists. You'd never find that great club wandering your city at night, but as soon as you know the address you can go right to it.

City adventures are more about who and what you know, and what the consequences are when you kick the anthill.
>>
>>49422789
Alright, thanks
>>
>>49422665
>Is the soultrade a buyer's or seller's market?
I'd say seller's. Lots of people wanting to sell their souls, not so many Devils or Feys interested in buying all the shit they're offered to.
>>
I'm DMing Curse of Strahd for a nice group, and the only problem I have with the setting is that I'm a bit afraid of Castle Ravenloft.

It just confuses the fuck out of me. Looking back at the maps and trying to figure what goes where, it's kinda overwhelming.

Is there some kind of simplified plan, or even better a flowchart for the castle?

I must be retarded or something.
>>
Okay TG, regale me with your Enlarge/Reduce stories

Bonus points for Gnome dwarf and halfling casters
>>
File: Don't get sick.jpg (19KB, 500x719px) Image search: [Google]
Don't get sick.jpg
19KB, 500x719px
What is the best class for playing pic related?
>>
>>49423109
Gunslinger.
>>
>>49423140
YOUR SOUL IS FORFEIT
>>
>>49423140
/this
>>
>>49423073
Just deal with each area as it comes. Generally a group's only going to get through 4-5 interesting rooms a session, so you'll have ample time to work out consequences between sessions as they explore.
>>
>>49423147
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbxJRfvBtI&feature=youtu.be&t=1h41m27s

Someone please cut Craven's quote into its own video.
>>
>>49423073
There's a traditional map in the mega. Try cross referencing between the iso map and that map.
>>
>>49423147
No Mercy Percy <3
>>
>>49423153

Jesus, that's the biggest stat sink I've seen since the paladin.
Dex for Aiming
Int for Tinkering
Wis for Crit

And that's even without touching God Star: Consititution
>>
File: VoloPreview3.jpg (514KB, 1000x1279px) Image search: [Google]
VoloPreview3.jpg
514KB, 1000x1279px
Hail Flail Snail!
>>
>>49424021
Why do the 5e of this? Have they been ready the Very Stupid Monster D&D ever did?

In that case, I hope the Duckbunny is there.
>>
>>49423109
The Warlock archetype in SCAG seems pretty fitting for a creepy occult medic.
>>
>>49424021

All the Volo shit looks gay as fuck.
>>
If I theoretically am starting a campaign at level 6 with 20 strength, what should I be to have fun / be extremely gamebreakingly effective?
>>
>>49424339
wizard
>>
>>49424210
>>49424235
I shall hear nothing against weird stupid monsters. Would you rather have another Slightly Different Zombie, or perhaps an Angry Oddly-Coloured Man?
>>
>>49424339
20 str at 6 isn't all that amazing, and what with maximum stats capping at 20, and assuming you spent your lvl 4 ability score increase on the 18-20 bump, you're really nothing special at all. Good luck >>be extremely gamebreakingly effective?
in 5e.
>>
I want to add one or two more events to Zephyros Tower in SKT. Does anyone have some good ideas? What kind of creatures/enemies would a level 4 Party find in the sky?

I've thought that maybe some kind of young Dragon attacks the castle, while Zephyros is busy communicating with other planes and doesn't want to be disturbed. So the players have to chase away the dragon, either by combat or roleplaying. I'm not sure what the goal or intentions of the dragon could be.
>>
>>49424387
what about 20 charisma at 5?
>>
>>49424385
This. I want crazy and kooky monsters that my players may not have encountered or dealt with before. Sure, Flail Snails are silly, but the players I am running my game for have probably never even heard of it! They'll be confused as fuck and it would be a truly unique encounter for them.
>>
>>49424210
wtf are you saying?
>>
>>49423073
Check out the DM's Guild and look up Sean McGovern's Curse of Strahd guide. He breaks everything down to it's basics and goes from there, offering outline info and details on major quests and sidequests. As for the map, there are regular maps out there for Ravenloft and such so just do quick google searches for those.
>>
>>49424385
I miss some monster that didn't make the cut to the first MM, I guess I'll not name the Nymph or the Nixie because it may fall into that category you name as "oddly coloured humanoid", but let's say from the 3.5 MM:

Allip, Arrowhawk, Barghest, Devourer, Frost Worm, Howler, Krenshar, Otyugh, Phantom Fungus, Ravid and the Vargouille.

And I really really WANT a Phoenix.

Putting up the Flail Snail as a preview? Darn. Give me the Duckbunny instead.
>>
>>49424621
Otyughs are in the MM, and Vargouilles are confirmed for VGtM already.
>>
>>49424621
I miss bodaks.
>>
>>49424339
Barbarian. Grab a greataxe and Great Weapon Master, reckless attack every turn for fuck-off-huge damage.
>>
>>49424385

It should be named "Volo's guide to LGBT Monsters of San Francisco that Mike Mearls masturbates thinking about" . It will be so fucking cringe if they have some unicorn variant in there.
>>
File: Hanzo.jpg (64KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
Hanzo.jpg
64KB, 700x393px
Is battlemaster any good? Specifically, is a longbowman battlemaster any good?
>>
File: sai121.jpg (59KB, 480x771px) Image search: [Google]
sai121.jpg
59KB, 480x771px
>...

So! Have you made any cute characters lately? :3
>>
>>49424582
Thanks for the tip. Taking a look.

>>49423316
Yep, I've seen it, but I'd still prefer a flowchart. Maybe I'll make one if I wrap my head around the castle itself!

>>49423228
You're right, of course, but I like getting a "bigger picture". Plus, I have to translate the damn thing since we're not playing in english.
>>
>>49424791
It's the best fighter and works with any weapon.
>>
>>49424469

If your DM will let you point buy up to 16, or you roll a 16, the half-elf or tiefling CHA bonus will bring you up to 18 and the level 4 ASI will bring you up to 20.
>>
>>49424791
Battle Master is great, and most of the maneuvers can be done at range, including trip attack (knock a flying enemy out of the air) and pushing attack (knock an enemy off a cliff with an arrow). If you grab sharpshooter, precision strike lets you deal huge damage without worrying about that accuracy penalty.
>>
>>49424769
You sound angry. About dumb things.
>>
>>49424818
It looks like because of how you add superiority dice to damage and how you decide to use a maneuver after you hit, that you basically just decide when you want to crit. I like that a lot.
>>
>>49424793
I've made a cleric. She was once a young airhead who wanted nothing but going on adventures and being important and famous. Now she's a weary, cynical single mother, burdened not only by a monstrous child, but also by being chosen by a god as his prophet.
All of his previous prophets died horrible, pointless deaths, as did the god himself.

Is that cute?
>>
>>49424886
>monstrous child
Oh boy.
>>
>>49424900
Well, it's complicated. She's not actually the biological mother, and this child is actually a dragonborn (and another PC) - in DM's setting, basically nobody even knows what they are.
>>
>>49424886
I dunno about cute but it does sound pretty badass! Would group and rp with.
>>
>>49424791
Battle master is probably the best fighter archetype atm, and they can work pretty solidly with an archery fighting style.
>>
>>49424412

Wyvern males dueling each other midair for a female wyvern that's circling nearby.

Lost teenager pegasus that was separated from the herd.

Wizard in an ugly fur outfit that botched a new spell and was sent careening skyward. They splat on the outside of the tower, but don't fall off it immediately.

Old as fuck manticore that's looking for somewhere to lay down and die/go to a totally not elephant graveyard.

Optionally, have them see shit going down below them and see if they wanna bug the wizard to take a detour. Maybe ogres/orcs are pillaging a frontier hamlet. They see some big nasty like a dire bear being attacked by other stuff. A seemingly abandoned caravan, 8 wagons total, in the middle of the High Road.
>>
>>49424996
how's the EK ?
>>
>>49425315
Before SCAG, it sucked. After it, don't know - it's probably better now that melee cantrips exist.
>>
>>49424021
The flail snail makes 5 flail attacks. After hitting
a creature once the snail fail has disadvantage
on subsequent attack rolls until the end of it's turn.

Snail Flail +4 to hit, hit 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage
>>
>>49425315
It's fantastic defensively and for utility but if you want most of your offense to come from spells you'll be disappointed.
>>
Anyone translated the PF witch to 5e?
>>
File: Hawkeye.png (558KB, 1000x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Hawkeye.png
558KB, 1000x1040px
>>49424791
>Specifically, is a longbowman battlemaster any good?
My first 5e PC was an archer battlemaster, fucking tactical as fuck, I had a great time.
>>
>>49425401
My group tried, it was horrible, I heard lots of stories about it, not even one ended well.
>>
>>49425401
Just play a warlock.
>>
>>49425401
Not only incompatible systems, they're also incompatible genres.
>>
>>49425401
>>49425425
And now I realized you said witch, I misread PF to 5e. Anyone, no, we didn't try Witch specifically, but I don't think it'd work either.
>>
Alright guys, my character just died and GM has given me permission to use the new ranger from unearthed arcana to roll a Beastmaster. Since we're level 9, hes given me a bit more freedom for nonstandard pets, and it basically letting me take any beast up to CR 1/2 that isn't stupid, large creatures are fine.

So, with 9hd, two ASI, +4 proficiency, two skills, what fun can we have with beasts, then planning the character around the pet.

Ape, +4 Str gives you a STR20 buddy, 63hp, AC16, +9 to hit for 1d6+9 at both melee and ranged. Able to lift and carry due to being vaugely humanoid with hands, you could even argue that he could help out with more dexterious skills. Also has a very robust +9 Athletics to grapple and shove foes and literally go ape.

if I use large creatures, Elk with +4 Str gives you again, STR20 mount, 63hp, 14AC, +9 to hit for 1d6+9, potentially 3d6+9 with DC17 prone, Hooves for 2d4+9.

Crocidile with +3 Str and +1 Con gives you 72hp, AC16 with a pretty brutal +8 to hit, 1d10+8 damage with automatic restrain, DC 16 to escape. Pretty brutal but this is getting homebrew ontop of playtest material allowing large creatures and even a CR-half pet although the standard list includes a few.

Giant Poisonus snake with +2 Dex and +2 Con leaves you 63hp, AC19 with a 10ft reach, +9 to hit bite for 1d4+9, DC14 poison for 3d6+4 damage seems the heftiest direct damage dealer but poisn-resistances are common.

I saw someone statted up Giant Crab as something pretty cool too.

I'm leaning towards being a Sword-and-Board ranger with an ape, using shield-master to shove things to the ground and having my pet monkey grapple the crap out of them #Harambe.

Any thoughts or suggestions? The campaign is going to be coastal/exploration themed, so I did play with the idea of having a reef-shark companion but he would only be usable in aquatic combat which even in a coastal campaign, may be uncommon.
>>
>>49425399
dammit seriously? I wanted to make an offesive EK, i've seen some of the spells and htye seems pretty decent .
But it seems that your opinion they aren't or maybe the spell slot economy doesn't work for that?
>>
>>49425472
The EK has too few spell slots and their weapon damage is too high to make focusing on offensive spells worth it.
>>
>>49424791
It is very good yes. I very much liked menacing shot, since it prevents foes from closing in on you and gives them disadvantage if they stick around. Big fat ogre getting ready to run you downwith his great club? Nope he is too scared of the pointy owie sticks man. A fantastic CC element for a fighter to deliver at range.
>>
File: This is no face of mercy.jpg (51KB, 670x900px) Image search: [Google]
This is no face of mercy.jpg
51KB, 670x900px
>>49425471
> Be beastmaster ranger
> Pick ape companion, it starts with intelligence 6
> Give it investigation and religion skills
> Bump it's intelligene on levels 4 and 8
> On level 8, it's probably smarter than the party's paladin and more knowledgable at theology too.
> Meet Harambe de Torquemada, the monkey inquisitor.
>>
>>49425472
EK damage spells are shit for a couple of reasons, you get them too fucking late, remember that your spells go up to 4th level, by the time you can cast something like fireball, enemies laugh at fireballs. You don't have many spell slots so you can't even spam weak (at the level you get them) spells. Spell damage don't level up, if you want to increase damage with a spell you have to use a higher spell slot, which you don't have (cantrips are an exception).

Your best bet is Abjuration, and for damaging spells try cantrips like GFB and BB so you can use warmagic feature (Cast cantrip+attack)
>>
>>49425514
/this, also they don't get arcane recovery in any form so they need to be conservative with spell slots.
>>
>>49425514
witchbolt and magic missles aren't that good then? Cause i always though witchbolt seems pretty decent.
fyi i've never played i just dm and i'm not really into casters.
>>
>>49425570
Trap options, they're both ubershit.
>>
>>49425569
>>49425568
thanks for the explanation, although it made me really sad.
>>
>>49422789
Wth is Vornheim?
>>
>>49425596
If you want to hit people with the sword and also be really good at magic, just play as a bladesinger. Or a valor bard.
>>
>>49425596
Is still a pretty solid subclass, the problem is that evocation, beyond cantrips, does almost nothing for it.
>>
>>49425588
You shut the fuck up. Magic missile kicks ass.
>>
>>49423109
Death or Life Domain Cleric of a neutral life/death god, god of resurrection (Pharasma in Golarion, don't remember what it is in FR).

Kind of want to play that now.
>>
how can i make 5e combat faster?
>>
>>49425620
I really dislike bards, both mechanically, and for the fluff.
But thatnks for the info anyway.
>>49425622
gotcha
>>
>>49422691
Just draw big blocks of buildings, only detail the important stuff.
http://img00.deviantart.net/0c04/i/2015/348/6/e/haasenburgh_by_sapiento-d9k3de7.jpg
>>
>>49425401
Don't know anything about PF Witch, but if I were to play a witch, it'd probably be either a Druid or a Wizard; maybe a Tome Warlock, but most likely a Wizard, because I like Wizards.
>>
File: HarambeRevenge.jpg (66KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
HarambeRevenge.jpg
66KB, 700x525px
>>49425548
> Be beastmaster ranger.
> Pick ape companion, it starts with intelligence 6 and dexterity 14.
> Give it stealth and perception skills.. And a heavy crossbow.
>Bump its dexterity at levels 4 and 8.
>On level 8, it's a better shot than the party's beastmaster ranger, and more stealthy to boot.
>Meet Harambe los Muertos, dreaded wilderness sniper.
>>
>>49424861
lol!
>>
>>49425401
>PF witch can fly almost at will at 2nd level, cast sleep at will the same level, curse at will at the same level, and a lot of at wills. She also can turn her hair into a living weapon, etc
...you're fucked, anon. Nothing comes close to that even at 10th level
>>
File: 1455577317208.jpg (73KB, 647x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455577317208.jpg
73KB, 647x720px
>>49422665
>that preview
GODDAMNIT I'M WAY TOO FUCKING EXCITED ABOUT THIS GODDAMN BOOK.
>>
>>49425596
Blame fighters for being too good this edition.
>>
>>49425647
Give all the monsters 0 hit points, 0 attack, and make them not exist.
>>
>>49425401
Go warlock, convert any hexes not covered by spells or invocations to spells/invocations.
>>
>>49425669
>>49425401
My girlfriend is really into Wicca and as her first character she reallyw anted to play a Witch that came from a bloodline of warrior witches and all that kind of fluff so since the Druidic Circles (irl i'm talking) and the Wiccan teachings costantly overlap in what they strive for, which is to love and protect nature i just had her be a druid and literally just said that the country from hwere she's from simply called witches what in the main continent are known as druids.

If you're searching for the wrong interpetration of what is a Witch, which is the christian fueled imaginery of dark arts user and shit then that is another story.
A Warlock is your best bet.
>>
>>49425722
Even if fighter were shit, casting those evo spells that come too late and are to few would be stupid
>>
File: dnd tarrasque rule whatever.jpg (294KB, 570x800px) Image search: [Google]
dnd tarrasque rule whatever.jpg
294KB, 570x800px
>>49422665
DM style question. How are DMs running multiple monsters with spells?

When I run monsters, I don't want to have to flip through books or anything. I want everything on a few sheets of paper ready to go. So I have to copy paste all the statblocks I need into a word doc and its a pain in the ass.

And if any of those monsters have spells- I have to copy paste all the spells so I have a list. Prepping is so much more work than in 4e with all the digital tools they have.

I run 5e because the combat is faster, but the prep is so much work. Am I doing it wrong? How do you folks reference monsters and spells (aside from memorization).
>>
>>49423153
Are there any feats that work well with Gunslinger?
>>
>>49425647
Memorize all possible actions and tell you PCs what they do. Or just adjust your encounters.
>>
>>49425722
I mean I like the fighter and the battlemaster would be my pick if i ever played. I just wanted to make an EK npc with cool offensive spellcasting, that's all.
>>
>>49425759
sharpshooter
>>
>>49425759
this>>49425770
and i would say luck when you roll isfires.
>>
>>49425768
Remember NPCs don't follow the same rules as PCs, you can just give them what ever you want.
>>
>>49425758
I keep one of the spell compendium websites open so I can quickly ctrl-F for them. Hardcodex.ru and dnd-spells.com are the two big ones that are still up.
>>
>>49425768
Fighter1/SorcererX, use sorcery points to cast quickened spells so you can attack and cast cool spells at the same time.
>>
>>49425790
This, make a gestalt fighter10/wizard10 and make it CR 5
>>
>>49425700
I was really just asking out of curiosity, I think you can probably write one up. The PF Witch is much closer to Wizard than Warlock, so I don't really rate that suggestion.

I'd take Wizard as the base, throw out the schools and look at 2 or 3 class paths: one focused on hexes (maybe giving up cantrips for them), one focused on ritual magic, and one focused on gishiness with the hair and transformations.
>>
>>49425647
What my old DM did when we had 8 players (terrible and tedious, wouldn't recommend) is

>make PCs and enemies roll to-hit and dmg at the same time
>make next player in line roll when previous player's dmg is resolving
>make enemies and NPCs generally only take attacks of opportunity and retaliation once engaged in combat (really sloppy way of playing, wouldn't recommend)
>make enemy archers, for example, move and roll as a unit until engaged in close combat (still make them roll different dice for each, like in Warhammer)
>Either have a player keep track of intiative or write it in a whiteboard for everyone to see. You have no idea how much it helps.

At the end of the day it's all about player discipline. If they pay the fuck attention and know what they're gonna do beforehand it actually isn't too bad. Also helps if the DM is on top of his shit too.
>>
>>49425647
what about using escalation die,but with damage?
>>
>>49425647
>how can i make 5e combat faster?
>5e combat
>even faster
Flip a coin to determine which side wins the encounter?
>>
File: V4RmxbvM_400x400.jpg (9KB, 271x271px) Image search: [Google]
V4RmxbvM_400x400.jpg
9KB, 271x271px
>>49425647
>5e combat is too slow meme
I seepeople say stuff like this all the time, but it's literally the opposite of all my experiences with 5e. I always feel like my fights go too quickly, and my players blow through monsters like they're made of cotton candy. My players aren't even smart, they don't optimize or use strategy, they just stumble dick first into every encounter and crush it with brute force.

So, open question to people with this problem: What are you guys doing that take so long?
>>
>>49425743
Yeah the 60s interpretation of what paganism was like in the UK before it was enlightened by the teachings of Christ are way more legit.
>>
File: 1461237946099s.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1461237946099s.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
Newfag to /5eg/ here. I want to draw an overmap for my campaign and can't find a free online program that is dedicated to overmap creation. Anybody got any resources for this?

I checked the sticky and couldn't find anything
>>
>>49425853
>they don't optimize or use strategy, they just stumble dick first into every encounter and crush it with brute force.
That is optimal though
>>
>>49425874
http://inkarnate.com/

Personally, I am not a fan, I feel the art direction is lacking. But its easy and not too offensive to the eye.
>>
>>49425790
I mean i wasthinking right now to just give him more spell slots, i will thinka bout it.
>>49425793
isn't sorcer supposed to be bad?
>>
>>49425815
I'd make some exceptions

>make PCs and enemies roll damage at the same time IF the party doesn't have any abilities that work like 'you can increase the roll to make it hit'
>the DM should tell the next player in line to start acting when they know it's unlikely that the previous player is going to have a significant impact
I don't understand the 'only make attacks of poortunity in combat'.
Why would you make them outside of combat unless you actually have your weapon drawn and ready, in which case you're sort of in combat anyway?

Writing stuff up on a whiteboard definitely helps.
Grouping enemies sometimes can certainly help if it's not important that they all act individually.
>>
>>49425853
Make sure you're following the encounter building guidelines, as well as the adventuring day guidelines.

Also include random encounters and unsafe places, because if they take a long rest there after a single combat, there's a chance something comes up and interrupts that, which means they have to start over.
>>
>>49425933
>isn't sorcer supposed to be bad?
Not really? sorcery points and metamagic make for a pretty cool gimmick, my fav char was a Paladin/Warlock/Sorcerer
>>
>>49425949
>which means they have to start over
Really? I must have skipped over that while reading the PHB
>>
>>49425315
EK is also solid. It's not the best but if you play your spells right it is a solid option, especially in the later levels.
>>
>>49425949
I do this, I actually attack them 1 second before they 8 hours have passed so they have to start all over again.
>>
>>49425949
Adventuring day guidelines are retarded from a story telling perspective, unless your PC's are literally on on ancient battlefield between two sides with nearly unlimited numbers.

The only way I've found to name them make sense narratively with most stories is to change long rests to a week and short rests to eight hours.
>>
>>49425949
Read the long rest rules again. As long as you're not doing strenuous stuff for an entire hour during it, you can have combat and still get a long rest.
>>
>>49425966
It says "1 hour" of strenuous activity during a long rest invalidates it, but I'm fairly liberal with their lives anyway, so strenuous combat has a pretty large definition for me.
>>
>>49425793
Sorcerer isn't as good as wizard generally, but is somewhat on par and sometimes outdoes wizards.

Most notably twinned spell has some great uses. They can twinned spell a concentration buff such as 'haste'.
Unfortunately they don't get foresight, so they can't twinned spell foresight, but I suppose they can twinned spell 'power word: kill' for the few times that's needed. Maybe use it on 'dominate monster' or such things.

Some other things like quickened spell are very nice, but they're not super-great. Sometimes being able to use the dodge action and cast a spell can be pretty good, though.
>>
>>49425917
Just what I was looking for. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>49425987
People say you can't detect sarcasm over the internet.

Those people need a higher wisdom stat.
>>
File: 1474313650499.jpg (166KB, 500x594px) Image search: [Google]
1474313650499.jpg
166KB, 500x594px
I've been out of the loop and I'm wondering what Races are coming in Volo's Guide?
>>
For a Dex-based fighter, should I be a human, an elf, or an air genasi?
>>
>>49426087
Goblins, orcs, firbolgs, aasimar, tritons, and catfolk.

Kobolds are currently "You'll have to wait and see" but I would put money on them being in there.
>>
>>49426098
What ever you want. A Human is the best race though.
>>
>>49426110
Thanks. If there isn't a confirmation on Kobolds I'm not going to preorder it yet.
>>
File: 96nNylH.jpg (95KB, 625x783px) Image search: [Google]
96nNylH.jpg
95KB, 625x783px
>>49425791
>>
File: 133780.jpg (622KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
133780.jpg
622KB, 850x1100px
Does anyone have experience running / playing Primeval Thule? How did it go? Thinking of running the level 1 adventure in the setting book tomorrow.
>>
>>49426058
Our Flame-sorcerer uses investure of flame and then uses quickened spells so she can do the flame-blast ability and still cast spells. Not that effective but sure is cool!
>>
File: tumblr_nfkvmbx0PE1tjq5m6o9_1280.jpg (106KB, 941x995px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfkvmbx0PE1tjq5m6o9_1280.jpg
106KB, 941x995px
>>49426110
I hope catfolks were more like pic related and less like house cats

>Aasimar
Aren't those in the DMG?
>>
>>49425648
Bladesinger is a wizard though.
>>
File: tabaxi.jpg (178KB, 450x519px) Image search: [Google]
tabaxi.jpg
178KB, 450x519px
>>49426219
They're going to be more like pic related, because it's Forgotten Realms where the catfolk are tabaxi

And aasimar are in the DMG, but they're getting published in a book that's more accessible (and finally available to AL players).
>>
>>49426233
ouh, ok.
>>
>>49424794
Try the comic of I6. If I wasn't on my phone I'd post it, but it gives a blow by blow on the castle.
>>
>>49426240
Can somebody explain to me this Adventurer's League meme to me? I don't live in US, so it seems really stupid to me - oh, so you're running under strict restrictions, by RAW and using only core adventure paths, that seems really fucking interesting. Not.
>>
>>49426110
I really hope Firbolg are actually large, instead of just being "+2 Strength and you can.. Carry extra stuff!" bullshit.

Although with the current rules being Large weapons deal extra weapon dice it seems pretty powerful.
>>
>>49426292
Just make them large enough to one hand versatile weapons, but not heavy ones.
>>
>>49426292
I'd not count on having them be Large. It'll most likely be that you could cast Enlarge one a day for free or something.
>>
>>49426292

Large PC race or Tiny PC race are extremely unlikely due to the issues with balancing them correctly
>>
>>49426292
You know if they get that stuff there will be some significant downside or literally no other features, right?
>>
>>49426333

Firbolg aren't Spriggans
>>
>>49426272
It's official games locally hosted for new players to get a fair and basic experience and for those who don't have a group of friends they can play with privately. One of my friends moved to another state for work so he started DMing league games at the flgs to make friends and meet people in his town.
>>
>>49425568
>>49425569

Eldritch Knight is the tankiest version of the Fighter.

-They get Blur (enemies have disadvantage on their attack rolls) and Shield (+5 AC).

-They get Sleet Storm! Fucking Sleet Storm! in a fighter! This is probably the third best Crowd Control Spell in the game:
Enemies in the area have disadvantage on their attack rolls; Characters have advantage on their attack rolls against the enemies; With Polearm Master and Sentinel, enemies will never step out of the Sleet Storm, they won't hit your allies, won't even be able to target them; and they must succeed each turn on a Dex Save or fall prone. At level 5, with Spell Points variant, an EK can cast it 5 times a day. More than enough i'd say.
>>
>>49425599

https://www.lotfp.com/RPG/products/vornheim
>>
>>49426408
>https://www.lotfp.com/RPG/products/vornheim
Gots a PDF? I just spent way too much money on the Bard's Gate kickstarter....
>>
>>49426398
You're exaggerating.

If a creature fails the dex save at the start of its turn, it can simply spend half its movement to get up again unless you have it grappled or something.
Not to mention, it'll affect you, too.

An EK has to be level 13 to cast it, and unless they replace their level 8 special spell they have to wait until level 14 to learn a spell that isn't abjuration or evocatoin.

It's a more powerful 'grease' spell and can certainly be good, but it's not as grand as giving automatic advantage or disadvantage.
>>
File: TOMORROW.jpg (444KB, 1024x549px) Image search: [Google]
TOMORROW.jpg
444KB, 1024x549px
>>49426398

>They get Sleet Storm!

Yeah, eventually. You're right that EK is awesome. But when talking about class abilities, I think you really have to keep in mind that most games are played between levels 1 and maybe 12. Just for instance, I'm closing in on the end of a 2-year campaign, and my players are all level 12. They might level up one more time, be level 13 for two sessions of wrap-up.

You have to think about the number of sessions you're going to have an ability available. If an ability is good from level 3 to level 9 and then becomes obsolete, it's a good ability, you're gonna get a lot of use out of it. If an ability is incredibly badass, but you get it at level 18, you'll be lucky to use it once ever.
>>
So.

Strength is a recommended stat for 5 classes, saving throw for 4.
Dexterity is recommended for 6 classes, a saving throw for 4.
Constitution is recommended for 6 classes, saving throw for 3.
Intelligence is a recommended stat for 3 classes, a saving throw for 3.
Wisdom is recommended for 4 classes, a saving throw for 5.
Charisma is a recommended stat for 6 classes, a saving throw for 5.

This is all just from the PHB, but I don't think any of the supplements have recommended stats or additional saving throws.

We can see that some stats and saving throws aren't as utilized or recommended as others, try to think of a class idea that would use these less-prevalent stats.
>>
>>49426570
If I remember correctly, charisma is used as a saving throw against total of 3 (three) effects in this game.
>>
For my upcoming game, what do you think about these table rules:

>no feats
I have some issues with feats in that they provide "optimal" choices, period. To make things worse, feats tend to lean further against weaker classes.

>multiclassing is OK
I find multiclassing to provide some interesting characters beyond just making combos.

>DMG Ability Score Proficiency rules
The only change I want to make is giving Rogues Dexterity proficiency no matter what. I would prefer background proficiency, but this would work with my players better.

>You don't fall unconcious when at 0HP
Instead you have disadvantage on all d20 rolls except death saving throws and move at half speed. You can choose to fall unconcious to auto-stabilize.

>Massive Damage
I like this rule, even with the death spirals.

>Lingering Injuries
I've been using this rule since reading it and it makes critical hits a lot more interesting, and my rule about 0HP means it gives HP a little more verisimilitude.

>NPCs have 1/2 the HP and roll and double the damage die
On a critical hit they roll triple the damage die and not quadruple.

This is why I'm thinking for a OSR game. I'll have some additional stuff in there from the DMG but these are the big changes.
>>
>>49426432
There's a PDF in the /osrg/ trove.
https://mega.nz/#F!5d02mZSQ!mtR7HH2mad0CLk9fgbNN_g!MYtR2ZBa
>>
>>49426583
To be fair, half the published modules use madness.
>>
>>49426333
How about if they worked under the effects of Enlarge person?

10ft base, as a large creature, advantage on strength based checks, +1d4 to all melee strikes.
>>
>>49426292
Large size but a feature that prevents them from gaining weapon dice.
>>
>>49425471
Giant Goat, 2d4 plus an extra 2d4 on its attack just for moving 20 ft first, can also knock prone

Or, a Giant Wasp, flying and poison damage but otherwise didn't strike me as too interesting
>>
>>49426626
As a DM, I'd probably never allow it, but I'm fairly sure that Perkins isn't going to be that silly.
>>
What are the best maneuvers for a battlemaster?
>>
>>49426586
>No feats
I wouldn't ban all, only the actually powerful like GWM, SS, PM, etc, stuff like having profiency in 4 weapons, or getting more skills is not a problem. Other stuff like ignoring resistance to certain energy are almost a must in case of draconic sorcerers that want to focus on one element because damn that's what they're about
>Massive Damage
>Lingering injuries
I don't like these, a single bad roll and congratulations the character you like so much is a cripple
>>
>>49425471
Oh, or a regular ass crocodile. They get a grapple on hit, but most importantly your pet is a fucking crocodile.
>>
>>49426586
I think banning feats altogether is shitty.

I think the ability score proficiency rule is a much worse variant than the background proficiency rule in the same section. Putting your proficiency in just one of six areas will thrust characters into specific roles out of combat way more than they already are.

>massive damage and injuries with Hypermode NPCs
Seems like a bad time for everyone.
>>
>>49426292
>New adventure has a large magic weapon
For what fucking purpose?
>>
>>49425647

Have less of it. Anything you can do with a single attack roll, an opposed ability check, or even an unopposed ability check, do that instead. Let the bad guys cut and run or ask for parlay when the fight goes against them.

Additionally, learn to say some variant of "narrate it out." If a fight is effectively over or one-sided from the start just ask a player to describe it for everyone.

And save those descriptions for big moments: resource spends, death blows, reversals, crits, knockdowns. It sounds fun on paper that every single move needs a full description but it's astronomically less fun when time pressure is involved.

tl;dr: Time is a resource, only spend it on stuff that's necessary or enjoyable.
>>
>>49425548
>Not having a druid cast awaken on the ape then putting points in int at 12 16 and 19
>ape is now smarter than everyone bar the wizard and can talk
>>
>>49426758
You can't awaken ape, he's too smart.
>>
File: chris perkins familiars.png (24KB, 584x186px) Image search: [Google]
chris perkins familiars.png
24KB, 584x186px
>>49426694
Perkins doesn't touch the rules, it's all Mearls and Crawford and a few others guys that aren't as public.
>>
>>49426702
The injuries go away the minute you use a spell to heal, though, which seems lame to me.

Come to think of it, though, in my games there's not a whole lot of healing spells flying around. Don't know how standard that is. It's not like the crippled effects are all that bad though, losing an eye is disadvantage on perception and chances are your entire party is proficient in that, besides that I think it's automatic missing ranged attacks at the disadvantage range.
>>
>>49426570
Int and Con or Int and Wis could stand for a Swordmage class.
>>
>>49426702
They're pretty well balanced by not losing consciousness at 0HP. You hit 0 and you get a chance to get away and come back later. It all can be healed easily except the 1-3 options, and even then it becomes a quest to heal or get a sick magic hand - sort of like when someone dies by level 5, except they can still play until they get healed.

It also makes the champion fighter ridiculously fun.
>>
Fighter has an amazing damage per round, so why would they waste the first round of combat on some spell instead of attacking? right? Here's the problem, they are NOT Reading Action. They must ready their spell and release it as a reaction on the first turn.

Some cool spells to ready are:
Lv.1 Fog, Lv.2 Blur, Lv.3 Sleet Storm, Lv.4 Ice Storm.

>>49426539
> it can simply spend half its movement to get up
Irrelevant. He could move any distance, but he won't get through you with Polearm Master and Sentinel. Remember you have advantage on the opportunity attack.

>It'll affect you, too.
You cast it in front of you, and stay outside the effect.

>unless they replace their level 8 special spell they have to wait until level 14
They can do whatever they want, yeah.

>It's a more powerful 'grease' spell
What an understatement. Sleet Storm power doesnt come from the knock prone effect, it's the obscure rule that makes it great. See the heavily obscure section and the Blindness condition in the PHB. Sentinel feat is obviously essential.
>>
>>49426793
Damn, I'm terrible at names. I meant Crawford. Mearls has good ideas (usually), but I have this headcanon that he uses Crawford for the actual mechanics.
>>
>>49426697
Trip Attack, Precision Attack, Menacing Attack
>>
>>49426777
Wolf confirmed for best pet
>>
>>49426823
You'd be right that Crawford does the rules polishing based on Sage Advice and the twitter feeds. Mearls is inconsistent as hell mechanically.
>>
>>49426720
I prefer the background proficiency, even say it in my post.
>>
>>49426812
Lingering injuries are awesome. I've not had the opportunity to lop off a PCs limb yet, but they've chopped off a couple legs of a sentient-spider-thing, so that was awesome. The barbarian's player felt like a badass.

I've had the cleric get her lung punctured by a spear once, too.

Then again, I've got a shop in one city that specializes in making artificial limbs, and I treat them as special "proficiencies" that you have to train into. Otherwise, you can still use it, but you don't get your proficiency bonus to stuff using the limb (using common sense, of course) until you're proficient with it; and if you roll a nat 1 using it, it loses its calibration and you have to reattune to it.
>>
>>49426292
Homebrew your own large race, and leave the cucks behind. That double dice rule is an oversight keeping the fun race down.
>>
>>49426844
Yeah, Mearls seems to not really know how things work and he tends to allow a lot of stuff, Crawford is a No Fun Allowed (if you're a martial) though.
>>
>>49426884
I agree, my CoS game had a player cut the arm off a night hag after leaping from a window to attack her.
>>
>>49426884
>until you're proficient with it
So spending 8 hours a day for 250 days?
>>
>>49426903
Mearls is "do it if it's fun."

Crawford caters to the AL crowd.
>>
>>49426570
>>49426583
I think you're thinking of Intelligence, but I could be wrong.

Intelligence is by far the least utilized skill in the game. It's the least used saving throw, only one class and two subclasses need to think about it, and though a lot of people would like to have it for flavor reasons, it typically falls to the wayside of some stats which might not even make sense for the character (like DEX and CON on limp-wristed casters), but provide greater obvious mechanical benefits.

I don't want to go on a rant or something, but I feel like Intelligence (and to a lesser extent Charisma) is a stat on a player's character sheet that everyone at the table tends to knowingly overlook, because it's a "game." If the DM presents the players with a puzzle, he wants the players to solve it, as it is a "game," but really the characters should be the ones solving it, and their Intelligence is not necessarily the same as their player's. This same argument can be made about Charisma and "roleplaying," and the average fa/tg/uy is more likely to hark on it because traditionally they're intelligent, but not charismatic, in real life so they feel the effects of overwriting CHA, but complaining about the overwriting of INT would only hurt them.
>>
>>49426903
What has Crawford said that was "no fun for martials" that wasn't just restating the rules?

A neat side effect of the strict interpretations by Crawford is I get to look good as a DM when I give the players the ability to break the rules because they roleplayed well.

>>49426942
You need consistency from the public face and "do it if it's fun" from the home DMs so the baseline for fun isn't too high for the spergs.
>>
>>49426938
Not him but lets say you spend 24 hours a day with it I would say around 80 days for proficiency.
>>
>>49426938
I have a little training system for it; 8 hours a day, for 250/most applicable modifier days. Half that if you have a proficient trainer.

Also use this for languages, skills, and tool proficiencies. I also have 38 different languages in my setting, so take that as what it is.
>>
>>49426943
Psion class (Mystic) will probably be Int based
>>
>>49426981
I certainly hope so. Doesn't make any sense otherwise.
>>
>>49426981
It is, thus far.
>>
>>49426961
Crawford leans towards shutting down handcrossbow fun and such but allowing a little more liberties to magic. Since Paizo is the new standard for "no fun allowed" he seems more reasonable in comparison.
>>
>>49426570
I was brainstorming on a class that would use INT and DEX, the archetypes being a trapper that crafts/places traps, getting bonuses to damage from INT, can hide them with stealth checks (Maybe later they become invisible) and trying to drag people into the traps during combat. The other archetype would be like a doctor, or surgeon, or taxidermist, or SOMETHING where he also gets damage bonuses from INT to reflect knowledge of biology.

But then I thought about it more, and realized a lot of the skills and features I was thinking of were really similar to what rogues already get. So I tried thinking of a way to make it into a rogue archetype-

but then I started looking at the trap and other area-control items in the phb, and they're really general use. Making a class that puts focus on them, even if the list was expanded greatly to be used in conjunction with the class, seemed to me like that would take precedence of traps and make people playing other classes not want to use traps, which didn't strike me as... sportsmanlike, I guess. ADDING things to a class, like maneuvers for BM even if similar things are options for everybody is fine, but taking something that's for EVERYBODY and claiming it for one class is no good. So I kind of dropped the idea.

I also was thinking of an INT/CON class, like a bloodmage, and that turned into the starts of a shaman barbarian archetype that I discussed in a thread the other day a bit.
>>
>>49426981
>>49426992
It is in the UA playtest.

>>49427008
The only hand crossbow ruling I remember is that you can't load one while holding a shield.

So if I get a hand crossbow user, I can give him a repeating hand crossbow and the player will be happy he gets to use a shield and has a rare weapon.
>>
>>49427027
Eh. For hand crossbows, it's one of those things that just tickles my fancy, so I tend to let it slide when people want to do it.
>>
>>49427027
>you can't load one while holding a shield.
Anything, doesn't have to be a shield, basically if you have something in your hand, that hand is unusable, unless you're a druid, cleric or paladin and you call that something "spellcasting focus" then you don't have problems waving your hands or sprinkling rat's ass dust or whatever

Also, you want to be a sword and board EK? hahaha, fuck you sideways, faggot
>>
File: Dual_wielding_Chang.jpg (417KB, 2048x1148px) Image search: [Google]
Dual_wielding_Chang.jpg
417KB, 2048x1148px
>>49427027
>tfw you can't pic related
>>
>>49426602
Is madness not a wisdom save?
>>
As someone newly getting into TTRPG through 5e, I'm really looking for an easy way to get a ton of miniatures to use for our games. Any tips? Buying miniatures individually seems pretty extortionate, but I can't find a good grab-bag with lots of stuff. Quality isn't really important.

I've been thinking about getting the pathfinder pawns sets, because they seem to cover lots of monster bases - but I'd probably rather have minis than paper cut-outs which (with some more effort) I could just make myself.
>>
>>49427084
Gotta keep those unrealistic fuckos down using those crossbows that don't even exist in the first place.
>>
>>49427061
If that's how you like to do it, that's cool. I like the repeating crossbow that has a magical reservoir that holds something like 20 bolts and auto-reloads. I just gave the player a magic weapon for resistance purposes and such without having to make a +1 or something that increases damage.

>>49427068
War Caster. It's useful with Booming Blade.

>>49427084
See above how I handle it. Players like DMs that work with them.
>>
>>49427068
I don't understand why EK weapon isn't a focus
>>
>>49427015
Bloodmage seems really neat actually. Make it a gish class that likes to stay near combat but not in base to base combat (with a blood whip weapon, say) and a spell list focusing on debuffing and controlling opponents.
>>
>>49427116
Warcaster doesn't help with material components
>>
>>49427027
>>49427068

This same question was asked to the developers of 5e. The answer is technically you can:
Step 1) Drop Shield (doesn't take action)
Step 2) Cast spell normally with your free hand.
Step 3) Pick up Shield as part of your Move Action.

It's 100% legal.

That, or you can ignore that stupid rule.
>>
>>49427124
Because it's a fighter, fighters should be inferior to the real casters
-Jeremy Crawford
>>
>>49427149
You have the shield in your hand, but you haven't donned it. :^)
>>
>>49427149
Donning a shield takes an Action, capital A, not a move
>>
>>49425853

A lot of people over-correct from the fact that a combat that is only "17" "hit" "8 damage" "he's about 1/2 way to dead, next person's up" is rather boring, especially in a blank room against a large number of identical enemies, and especially if it's the 3rd or 4th said version of that encounter that night.

The result is that they think that every designed encounter needs to be crammed full of difficult terrain, terrain events, 5 different types of enemies at least 2 of them casters, a first and second phase, and an alternate win condition.

It also tends to result in a "roleplaying, not rollplaying" overdose where every single move has to be laboriously narrated both offensively and defensively and placed into the narrative context of the fight and the character's personal story while building on the meta-narrative.

Thankfully, most DMs aren't as bad as all that. But I have been trapped at a table with ones who are and it is rather painful. The absolute worst is when you have a kitchen sink DM, a player who wants to start every fight with a 20 minute strategy meaning, and a shy/inexperienced player who the DM *will not* quit trying to "spotlight" on every turn. At that point you can pretty much expect every fight to go 2-3 hours at least.

I have been there, and it sucks. I do not recommend it. A little "spice" is good but it only takes 2 or 3 to make a good dish. DMs who pile it on and then insist every single bite be analyzed are serving burnt toast covered in salt.
>>
>>49427149
doffing and donning a shield takes an action, anon, what are you smoking?
>>
>>49427147
Gotta be honest, I never paid that much attention to material components since I run my own game and it's not AL. If you had War Caster I just let you do it. I don't feel particularly bad about feat taxing a shield-wearing fighter because I like to steer people away from being low damage turtles.
>>
>>49427164
You may drop your weapon.
>>
>>49427199
Yeah because the difference between dealing 1d8+Str+2 and 2d6+Str (reroll 1s and 2s) is soooo much, like for real.
>>
>>49427130
For INT/CON it seems like a natural place to go, but I drifted away from trying to think of it as its own class for a couple reasons-
the only thing I know bloodmages from is Dragon Age, and I don't like Dragon Age.
My approach would have been taking damage to cast spells, and to facilitate that I wanted to give it a d12 HD, but barbs are the only ones who have d12 HD as is, and I felt that was one of their "things" and didn't want to lessen it by having another class with it. I suppose d10 would be ok, that's still bigger than any other caster.
And on top of that, something that doesn't make me adverse to the idea but adverse to trying to design it, is that it would need a spell list and/or a (maneuvers/invocations/whatever) list and that is a lot of features to think of and balance, especially if there's a shitload of new spells to fill blood-themed voids there may be.

And on top of all that, it doesn't seem enough to make a whole class out of, but is enough of its own thing that it doesn't want to be an archetype for any existing class.
>>
>>49426570
This is right, but also very vague.

Strength is only useful for:
GWF fighters/paladins
Barbarians
Anyone very heavily grapple-focused.
Essentially, only one class and two class options, along with a very niche possibility.

Thus, I'd say it's only really for maybe 2 or 2.5 classes.

Dexterity is pretty much useful for everybody, though heavy armour users aren't AC-dependent on it (but still dependent on it for other things).
Con is pretty much useful for everybody.

Intelligence is only useful to wizards, EKs and arcane tricksters, pretty much.
Arcane tricksters and EK are much less dependent on it, as their main attacks are still not using intelligence.
Thus, I'd say that 1/3 of each of those classes is maybe half-dependent on it.
So, maybe 1.5 classes use intelligence.

Int and Str saves are pretty useless. Well, Strength is about 4th most useful save, well ahead of charisma and intelelct.

Wisdom is good for perception and wisdom saves. It's in a pretty decent spot with druids, rangers, monks and clerics right now.

Charisma covers paladins, sorcerers, warlocks, swashbuckler rogues, bards. Definitely fine.

So basically:

So in terms of how often they're utilitized, I'd say:
int << str << cha < wis << dex < con
>>
>>49427210
Literally no GM ever let me do that because is a "silly" thing to do.
>>
>>49427258
Just say you plunge it into the earth.
>make an attack roll and use your action
>>
>>49427239
I wouldn't give them a massive hit dice but the ability to leech HP from enemies or restore HP when they cast certain spells. Think like Abjuration's Ward ability.
>>
>>49427233
>GWM
>PAM

I don't ban Dex fighters or anything but I don't feel particularly inclined to steer away from RAW to support a slower combat style. At least I let them ignore the rules for holding material components with War Caster.
>>
>>49427090
Typically it's a Charisma save. Fear is a Wisdom save.
>>
>>49427258
>playing 3.5
>having quick draw feat and quick sheathe feat
>want to be a iaido master
>"No, it's silly to sheathe and unsheathe a weapon that many times, no"
I know that feel
>>
File: chopper-miffed.png (125KB, 500x287px) Image search: [Google]
chopper-miffed.png
125KB, 500x287px
>>49427258
>not tossing your weapon into the air, casting the spell, and grabbing it before it lands
>>
File: _42-17053240.jpg (43KB, 700x487px) Image search: [Google]
_42-17053240.jpg
43KB, 700x487px
How I would handle a large race when homebrewing one for a player:
They have disadvantage with normal sized weapons, even the heavy/two-handed ones. They can wield a normal sized two-handed/heavy weapons in one hand, but they still have disadvantage with it.
Weapons made for their size have better damage dice as per the rule but cost 100x more moneys, wearable armor costs 10x more. They don't get large starting equipment. Class features that create weapons for them like bladelock don't make them at large size. Unarmed strikes don't deal more damage, neither do Monk attacks. They are never EVER going to find or receive a large sized piece of magic equipment and will just have to deal with all the things that are resistant to physical, and I'll say that clearly to them as it's part or package.
After dropping all that on them and watching them take it, going "hyuck hyuck hyuck my weapons deal more damage", I would start giving the medium and small sized martials of the party actually good sets of magic equipment that aren't just a +1 dagger and a magic seashell that lets you hear the sound of your GM fucking your ass. The half-orc paladin gets a Flame Tongue of his preferred sword type, the gnomish eldritch knight gets a custom spellblade and +1 gnomish armor.
I'd watch the Large player slowly save up for his 5000 gold large greatsword and then have goblins rob him in his sleep when he's almost there, and I'd lick the salty tears off his face.
>>
>>49427350
This dude knows how to make that stuff cool.
>>
>>49427290
Those feats are becoming more and more cancerous the more I play.
>>
>>49427281
Now you've got me thinking.
One round, make an attack on a creature to get the blood you need, next round cast a spell on another target and both take damage.
Link your health to an enemy, you take damage he takes damage, he takes damage you get health. I think that already exists actually.
Turn blood/corpses into walls/weapons.
Drain an enemy to give yourself a healing aura.

I'm starting to think of this like a necromancy-themed sorceror. Much more solid in my mind, doesn't go with trying to get another INT class however.
>>
>>49426814
>you have advantage on the opportunity attack
No you don't. IF they fail the save, he'll stand up before he moves, as there is no benefit to crawling instead of standing up (you'd move the same distance crawling as standing up and then moving)

The sentinel's ability to set their movement to 0 only lasts until the end of their turn. They will end their turn standing up. They'll only slip at the start of their turn, when they'll just stand up again if you haven't immediately set their speed to 0. And no, you don't get an opportunity attack when they try to stand.

>heavily obscured

Okay, right, ignore everything said above and probably a lot of your stuff. I didn't notice that, but this completely changes the game.

1. You cannot see your target. You cannot make opportunity attacks against things you cannot see.
2. They suffer from 'blinded' and any attacks made by them and made by you count as 'attacks from an attack that cannot be seen'.
This means:
a) You have advantage to hit them (disadv can't see target + adv blind target + adv target can't see you) IF you can actually work out where the heck they are
b) They attack you normally (Adv you can't see them + disadv from blinded).
c) as said above, they will leave the area without you being able to make an opportunity attack to stop them. Once you make the opportunity attack, you will see them and they won't be blinded, meaning most likely your attack will be made with neither advantage nor disadvantage.
>>
>>49427385
Look at the PF Vitalist for ideas maybe. Dreamscarred are decent.

I would make at least one archetype an 'old god's blood' thing a la Bloodborne.
>>
My DM won't let me use any homebrew classes so all the time I spent making a cool, creative and fun idea now has been wasted
>>
>>49424210

Find some AD&D Monster manuals, the monsters in them are hilarious and amazing and I wish all the dumb shits would be brought back.
>>
>>49427441
Why did you do all that shit before asking if it would be allowed?
>>
>>49427441
>homebrew

Most homebrew is flawed.
>>
>>49427441
Why didn't you ask him beforehand/ work with him while making it? If you did neither of those it's your own fault.
>>
>>49425933
>isn't sorcer supposed to be bad?

Not exactly. Wizards have a *lot* more flexibility but less "oomph." Sorcs have more oomph but less flexibility. Most of what makes high-level wizards good is their flexibility, so it's a bit more noticeable.

That doesn't mean that chasing a Heightened Meteor Swarm with a Quickened Sunburst is bad by any stretch because it most certainly is not, but that even a 20th level sorc is only going to have 15 spells and 6 cantrips and no more, compared with the Wizard's ability to learn literally the entire Wizard list if they were wiling to put in the effort.

In short, Wizards are flexible, Sorcs are meta, and Warlocks are full casters that play like ranged Fighters. They're all perfectly serviceable and in some situations any of them can out-shine the other two. But at high levels the Wizard's ridiculously high flexibility is going to give them a lot more ways to contribute (if not quite at the always-have-the-right-spell level some NARPs imagine.)
>>
>>49427384
They let fighters be really good fighters. If I had my way they would be improved fighting styles fighters and rangers got a choice from at some level past 5, but that's not reality.
>>
>>49427147
Are you saying it's perfectly fine to embed a holy symbol into a shield and use that as a focus, yet any non-divine caster suddenly needs a spare hand to use an arcane focus or component pouch?

The rules intend that you normally only need one hand to cast a spell - not two.
>>
>>49427633
Anon, you can't argue intent with spergs.
>>
Who else just read the PHB and lurks here because don't have IRL people to play with?
>playing online
most roll20games are voice-only and i'm not a native english speaker
i guess i'll read all your stories having fun
>>
>>49427545
I pitched the initial idea to him and he said it looked fine and to keep fluffing it out, but when I was done he changed his mind and said it wasn't allowed.
>>
>>49426219
>>Aasimar
>Aren't those in the DMG?

Ish. They're used as an example for how to turn an existing race, specifically the Tiefling, into a re-fluffed race for story purposes. But being an inside-out Tiefling isn't really very Aasimar-esque so they've promised a better, more distinct, and *actually* statted out version in the future.
>>
How long until we can expect a Nymphology or Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge for 5e?
>>
>>49427692
Ask him to look it over again and recommend some changes, since he originally was okay with the idea. Something might be OP from his perspective or just not fit with whatever story he has going.
>>
If I were to try and run an Eberron campaign, what exactly would I need?
I've got no prior knowledge.
>>
My players asked me to do something Indiana Jones themed for our next 2-3 session adventure. I decided they must fight snakes for some of it. Give me your Yuan-Ti names.

Indiana Jones is going to be an NPC trying to get the treasure they want since the PCs lean towards evil. I'm already thinking of putting them on the wrong part of a rope bridge that gets cut.
>>
File: Eberron-cg.jpg (621KB, 1600x1447px) Image search: [Google]
Eberron-cg.jpg
621KB, 1600x1447px
>>49427746
Eberron Campaign Setting
Five Nations
Eberron Player's Guide

In https://mega.nz/#F!VkgGlSzK!11kU_hPmZpCqYBx8uRaHhA under 3rd Edition -> Eberron
>>
>>49427746
The 3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting and/or the 4e Eberron Campaign Guide are good starting points. Ignore artificers for now. You can use the UA Eberron races and they'll be about the right power level with the following replacements for their ability score increases:
Changeling: +2 to one ability score, +1 to a different one
Shifter: +1 Strength or Dexterity, +1 Wisdom
Warforged: +1 Strength and +2 Constitution

Ignore psionics, the Kalashtar, and dragonmarks for now.
>>
>>49426272

The idea behind organized play is that you can take your character to any table and play the next bit. Except the way AL is put together is an unholy schizophrenic mess where some meta-rules are totally inviolate, the DM can mostly ignore whatever they want, no one has to play anything in order, and the actual books from the company drop ridiculously less stuff than the AL-only modules, which are generally pretty terribly written but much more lucrative.

The result is a big steaming turd that isn't actually helping anyone do anything and it needs torched and rebuilt. There probably should be a program where volunteer DMs run new people and the group-less through the hardback books and specially-written 1-shots in hopes of making new players and selling more books, but this ain't it.
>>
What are some ways to improve healing with a non-cleric class?

Do I ask my DM for ways to get the Healer Feat? I'm not sure if Feats are only available at level up points if you trade for ability score improvement.
>>
File: 3.jpg (1MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
1MB, 1736x2456px
>>49425401
>>49425425
>>49425459
>>49425438
>>49425669
>>49425700
>>49425809
>>49425743
>>49425857
>>49425733
I found this:
https://imgur.com/a/MByU7#2NHlwE6
It's a bit wordy, so I haven't read this yet, but it's very nicely edited so it seems like it might be alright.
>>
>>49427814
Bard. Use magical secrets to grab efficient heals like Aura of Vitality.

Feats are only available if you trade an ability score improvement or start as a variant human.

Thief rogues can use the Healer's Kit as a bonus action, which makes the Healer feat pretty decent.
>>
>>49427233
It's 1.83~
>>
>>49427836
I don't want to multiclass, so I guess there's no options.
>>
>>49427746

Just don't Eberron is pretty tightly tied to the 3.x playstyle and doesn't seem to fit the design aesthetics of 5e.

Granted neither does FR but FR is way more popular than Greyhawk or Eberron
>>
File: 1473564243880.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1473564243880.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>playing cleric of Malar
>walking by druid encampment
>dm says they spit on the ground when they see me walk by
>says they can sense Malar's aura on me
>they are so fucking buttblasted that I worship the king of beasts

Fucking hippies
>>
So I'm see if I can get the DM to call bullshit on the spell progression stuff.

As an ATrickster 3 / Wizard 2 I'm a level 3 caster, without level 2 spells, but considering that they are both explicitly Wizard spells, I think there's a pretty hard and solid ground to claim I'm a level 3 wizard for spell casting purposes
>>
>>49427862
Nah senpai, Eberron isn't hard to adapt to 5e. Having magic items in 5e just makes you more powerful and able to take on more powerful encounters, which is fine since Eberron is supposed to be about action movie heroics.
>>
>>49427862
The most produced magic items in Eberron are non-combat items, since the reason magic is so widespread is to enable a more advanced society than is typical. It's like the industrial revolution happened with magic items.

Would a magical tube with a focusing lens on the end that can close completely and a permanent light spell inside the tube (a magical flash light) really be any more useful than a torch, other than being reusable?
>>
>>49427887

Eberron is way more mys-tech than the 5e norm.

Not saying you can't do it but why bother as it's hard to get the feel right
>>
File: 1458536791941.jpg (27KB, 636x636px) Image search: [Google]
1458536791941.jpg
27KB, 636x636px
>>49427357
I basically ran a campaign that was exactly this with the Giant Fighter vs the little babbs. The only difference was that it was more damage dice vs less to hit.

I balanced it around a target AC, so I could buff the giant for one fight by throwing out low AC things, and buff everyone else by throwing out ninja wolves.
>>
>>49427877
Don't be that guy.
>>
>>49427873
they're going to rape you with tree roots in your sleep tbqh
>>
>>49427791
>>49427796
Much appreciated, I'm hoping to get something started soon.
>>
>>49427947
Good on you, anon. Eberron is a great setting.
>>
>>49427877
It's completely against the rules, but you can go ahead and ask for a buff for the sake of your multiclass.

However, multiclassing is supposed to limit your spells, and that's the downside you're taking.

Don't push the DM more than a light suggestion, or you'll end up being That Guy.
>>
>>49427927

what, just so I can get fucking Misty Step and Invisibility at level 5, instead of level 3 like the rest of the world, and not at level 7?
Somehow, I don't feel like I'm breaking the game
>>
>>49427965
You're multiclassing and then asking to get what you missed out on because you multiclassed because you think it's "bullshit." That's very "That Guy" behavior. You lose some things to gain some things when you multiclass.
>>
>>49425758
I have boxes next to the options at any given spell level, with the names of spells at that level beside them. I have all in that group spend a slot of the same level sinultaneously, makes tracking them a lot easier. I try sticking to spells I know well, and If I'm uncertain they get a brief description in the 1 page session notes (sac. Flam. Dex or 1d8 fire). I'll add, at most, 1 spell I'm unfamiliar with, but I'll become familiar with it in the minutes before session start.
>>
>>49427965

besides, I'm not changing spell casting class. I'm not going from druid to warlock, or from Wizard to paladin, or from Ranger to Wizard.

I'm going from Wizard to Wizard
>>
>>49428003
You should have taken more levels in wizard then.
>>
>>49427991

I'm just trying to multiclass more efficiently. I don't want to be a level 4 wizard at level 6, for these two spells which I need and am going to get eventually anyway, I want to be a level 3 and one third wizard, taking just enough from that class to balance out the character mechanics to the character that I want to and leaving out the rest to those who actually want to have a character like that and would be utterly wasted on me
>>
>>49428064
Wait until you "eventually" get them, then? Not sure why you are shitting your pants about having to wait a couple levels
>>
>>49428064
Yep. "That Guy"

If you wanted level 2 spells at level 5, you could have gone Rogue 2/Wizard 3. You don't get all the goodies of a rogue and then get an advanced spell progression without giving up some of that rogue progression.
>>
>>49427854
Multiclass anyway into Life Cleric so the Aura of Vitality heals 2d6+5 hit points x10.
>>
>>49428095

I'm being "That Guy" for wanting the objective lower caster level benefits of a class whose school I didn't even deviate from and whose levels I'd be entitled far more to if I went that way instead, at the cheap cost of fucking up my character concept?

I suppose that under a certain prism I'm not allowed to tell you that you're wrong buuuut

I respectfully disagree

>>49428090

Because as average d&d groups go, level 7 is damned near Endgame level. Then the group will either disband, or a new bauble will come up and back to level 1 characters we go

I'll have sucked a turd just so I could play with my shiny toy for five minutes.
>>
>>49428195
A player dictating to a DM how he should be allowed to break the multiclassing rules is very "That Guy"

Suck it up and accept that multiclassing has downsides.
>>
>>49428252
>A player dictating to a DM how he should be allowed to break the multiclassing rules is very "That Guy"

>Having a vigorous debate rule interpretation in which you are an example = Dictating

Maybe relax?
I know how to handle a rejection if she says no. We're adults.
>>
It comes down to rule interpertation. If an arcane trickster is a Wizard caster, as it should be, considering its what its on the tin (Nowhere in the PHB does it say "These Spells are considered Arcane Trickster for you" or "You are allowed to take spells from any other class than Wizard") then I'm right, and what I'm calling for is perfectly within the rules, and I'll accept it when it's my turn to dm.

If it's not, I won't, and I'll settle playing for a less fun game, and interpret it my way when it's my turn to DM anyway
>>
Hey guys, playing right now, wild magic sorcerer.

Says gm can roll 1 per round for wild magic, and it only triggers on a 1, is this true? Seems like wold magic would come up very rarely. Am I missing something?
>>
>>49428304
>rule interpretation
What's there to interpret?

>>49428343
Rogue =/= Wizard even if they use the same spell list
>>
>>49425568

Honestly in my opinion, Fireball is such a good damage spell that even at around level 11 you still don't want to take one to the face, especially when you're disadvantaged on the save. Double fireballing a group of enemies who are disadvantaged on their save is a pretty sweet deal for a Fighter, in my opinion.
>>
>>49428348
Some of the effects are very powerful (for better or worse). At higher levels it becomes more common. If you want to see it more often, use Tides of Chaos and remind your DM about their ability to trigger Wild Magic on any spell cast after you use it.
>>
>>49428391

Ranger 4/Wizard 3

Two different spell casting class

Arcane Trickster/Wizard

Same spell casting class

Let me check the section about spells:

Nope, no Arcane Trickster spells anywhere

Weird that you'd have an entire spell casting class with no spells
>>
>>49428304
>I know how to handle a rejection if she says no. We're adults.
>>49428343
>I'll brood on it FOREVER, and keep using wrong rules just to get back at society.

Where can I sign up for this game?
>>
>>49428438
You're confusing spell list with class. The rogue class with the archetype Arcane Trickster uses the wizard spell list. You still prepare spells a single-classed rogue, and then you prepare spells as a single-classed wizard.
>>
How well do Monk and Ranger multiclass? What about playtest Ranger and Monk?
>>
>>49427633

Surprisingly, yes. PHB151 and PHB 203 actually call out that Clerics and Paladins can use an Holy Symbol-emblazoned shield or other item as a Divine Focus for spells requiring both a somatic and a material component, but other casters, Druids included, must have a free hand or feat into it. There is an exception, though: the staff Arcane Focus also counts as a quarterstaff. (Somatic spells without a Material Component can't be cast with a Focus to begin with, so they're always free hand or War Caster.)

It kind of makes sense that the notoriously armor-loving casters get a casty-shield and everybody else gets a casty-thumper, everyone else gets either a purely free hand or the benefit of two-handed weapons not counting against you for casting since you only need both hands on it while actually attacking, and anyone who wants to use a shield and non-staff while casting arcane/druidic stuff can either get it as part of a package deal feat or weapon juggle, but it seems like a giant fistful of solutions to something I'm not sure was ever a real problem to begin with. (That was a single sentence and I apologize for that)

Much as I love 5e, I do question why it suddenly picks the odd moment to get super-intricate with its rules when it mostly avoids that as a general principle. "You have to have your casty-thing on you to cast. Some classes can have a dual-use casty-thing. There are ways to not need your casty-thing" seems 5e-ish. On the other hand this all looks like an unnecessary mess.

References:
http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/51976/can-i-cast-spells-that-require-a-material-component-and-still-hold-my-hammer-and
http://dmdavid.com/tag/9-more-fifth-edition-dd-rules-questions-answered-by-the-designers/
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/493837751876595712
>>
>>49425570

Magic Missiles isn't bad. Witch bolt but while Magic Missile is pretty easily out classed by even cantrips it's also guaranteed damage that's hardly ever resisted, so it's nice for picking off small things.
>>
just rolled a warlock/rogue cross with pact of the blade and arcane trickster and while its been pretty good with the training wheels on I can't help but get the feeling like I'm going to get boned, am i wrong
>>
>>49428450

>be entirely of the same mindset as me, or else if you compromise I'll imply something negative of you

Jeez anon, I know it's 4chan, but you could try and tone it down a little.
>>
>>49428461
>I do question why it suddenly picks the odd moment to get super-intricate with its rules when it mostly avoids that as a general principle
Honestly: it's a holdover from 3.5e, where the rules for sheathing and unsheathing weapons were all over the place and switching weapons effectively required dropping your sword on the ground.

More on-point, the action economy for switching weapons isn't part of game balance by Mearls' admittance and can (and is) handwaved by most DMs.
>>
>>49428474
What's the benefit of the warlock levels there? Devil's Sight/Darkness?
>>
>>49423056
That would make it a buyers market retard
>>
>>49428457
>You still prepare spells a single-classed rogue

This concept is really not registering with me. According to the lore, they even learn spells the exact same way as Wizards.
>>
>>49428491

I see this a bit actually. Devil's Sight/Darkness and then either the magic weapon for sneak attacks and magic weapon invocations, or the magic book for more spells

Also, being able to recover slots and casting AT spells on Warlock slots isnt too shabby either, and eldritch blast + hex isn't a bad cantrip to have when your hidden spells have advantage

It's just a little rare, because a character than needs dex int char and con is a hard one to ballance, but fortunately the rogue is one for that
>>
>>49428509
An arcane trickster is not a wizard. They are a rogue that can learn spells from the wizard spell list.

You always prepare and know spells as if you were a single-class member of your individual classes. So rogue 3, and wizard 2, separately, with 3 1st-level spells known from rogue, 8 1st-level spells in your spellbook (with 2 + Int prepared), and 6 cantrips (3 from rogue, 3 from wizard).
>>
>>49425678
Apes dont have proficiency with the crossbow
>>
>>49428509
I guess if you want to be dense about it, the archetype Arcane Trickster allows you know spells as a rogue. You don't prepare as a wizard from Arcane Trickster because the feature comes from an archetype of the rogue class, and you know the spells rather than prepare them.

So again, you're getting a set of spells known from one class (rogue with a specific archetype), and then you're getting spells prepared as a wizard. The fact that the lists are the same doesn't matter. You're not getting the spells from the same class, and class is what the text cares about, not the list.
>>
Why are people saying that a Thief can use the Healer's kit to heal others as a bonus action when he has the Healer feat?

The Thief can only take the "use object action" to stabablize a creature with the healers kit, with the feat it would restore 1 life instead.

But the Healer feat clearly states that you can heal others as an action, which would be different from the "use object action". I can see why some would rule it so that the Thief can use his bonus action, but RAW they can't.
>>
>>49428554
>The Thief can only take the "use object action" to stabablize a creature with the healers kit, with the feat it would restore 1 life instead.
This is the useful part, that's why. You fight the same at 1 HP as you do at 20, so in most cases getting you conscious is all that matters.
>>
>>49427814

The Healer feat improves your ability to use the Healer's Kit from the equipment section to stabilize and do a tiny bit of healing. Just stabilizing is Wisdom(Medicine). Neither affects using potions which your DM may or may not consider magical.

If you're okay with magic, just not clerical magic, Bards, Druids, Paladins, and Rangers all get proper healing spells off their list and may have healing class abilities to boot. You can also take Magic Initiate to grab one of the lvl 1 heals (Cure Wounds for touch, Healing Word for ranged) and two free cantrips.

In short: 5e has a *lot* of healing options. Clerics may be really good at it but they're not the only ones who can. We can't help until we know what problem you're trying to solve and why Cleric is automatically the wrong answer.
>>
File: crystal knuckles.jpg (23KB, 367x550px) Image search: [Google]
crystal knuckles.jpg
23KB, 367x550px
I want to bring back charging as something anyone can do. Thinking of going with this:
>Use an action to move up to your speed; if you move in a straight line, you can use a bonus action to make a single melee weapon attack. If you do, you have a +2 bonus to the attack roll, but a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.
I had an idea for one that might be a bit too brutal:
>Use an action to move up to your speed; if you move in a straight line, you can use a bonus action to make a single melee weapon attack. If you do, you have advantage on the attack roll, but the next single attack against you until the start of your next turn has advantage.
It seems like a lot, but only the very next SINGLE attack against you has advantage, rather than a penalty that lasts throughout an entire round of combat.

What other simple approaches can I take to bring back charging in a mostly-balanced way?
>>
>>49428554
Because it's been assumed that the Healer's second part involved using the healer's kit. There's no Sage Advice about it though, someone should go ask Crawford about it.

I don't think it necessarily breaks anything though, since it's still a feat (and 3 levels in rogue) to make use of it.
>>
>>49428601
>What other simple approaches can I take to bring back charging in a mostly-balanced way?
Make the Charger feat a general rule?
>>
>>49425743
I feel bad for you son
>>
>>49425758
If its a wizard enemy i just let them cast whatever I want
>>
>>49428549

You know, I just realized, this whole conversation is moot.

I can just mug a library, copy those two spells into my spell book, and cast along anyway
>>
>>49428693
Check the PH errata.

>The spells copied into a spellbook must be of a spell level the wizard can prepare.

And as a 2nd-level wizard, you can't prepare 2nd-level spells.
>>
>>49428652
I'd feel worse for his wife's to be honest.
>>
>>49428693
Definitely "That Guy"

>>49428707
This is correct
>>
>15 rolls
>Nothing above a 10
Fucking just end my life.
>>
>>49428461
Well, I suppose so.
It should definitely have been done differently. What we have now is 'You put the thing away for one round so you can't make opportunity attacks except with unarmed strikes or an improvised weapon', from what I'm figuring.

It would be better to just have a clause that says 'If you cast a spell with the somatic component, you must have free movement of your arms and you cannot make opportunity attacks until the start of your next turn afterwards unless you have the war caster feat.'
>>
>>49428785
Onion Druid.
>>
>>49428792
I just leave the rules as-is but give EKs a weapon with an arcane orb on the hilt with a magical property allowing them to use it as a focus even though EKs normally cannot.
>>
>>49428631
But then why would anyone ever NOT charge? Though, I might take your suggestion, since +2 hit / -2 AC in 5e is a lot more significant than it was in 3.5/PF.
>>
Tell me about mysteries in your campaigns, anons. My campaign has several--in fact, the premise of the campaign is a mystery revolving around a legendary lost sword.
>>
>>49428816
They might take opportunity attacks from the movement or have more than one attack (which quickly outweighs that +5, even TWF is better than it most of the time).
>>
>>49428816
Because you only make one bonus attack. This is worse than two-weapon-fighting or extra attack.
Pretty much all the people who'd charge in the first place would have something better than it unless they really needed to dash.

I'd do something so that you only gain use of it once you get the 'extra attack' feature.

This way, it's generally weaker than an all-out attack but it really closes the gap between someone and a fighter.

Does mean that, say, barbarians whose weakness is 'not being good at range' would have less of a weakness.

Honestly, no matter what you do, you're probably buffing barbarian by giving them free charges.
>>
>>49428807
But what if someone wants to be a gish faggot that isn't an EK? Will they be doomed to quarterstaff fighting?
>>
>>49428797
Are you suggesting I play one?
>>
>>49428707

>doesn't explicit state I can do it
>doesn't explicitly state I can't do it
>explicitly states that every other class who gets out of class spells can't do it

Sorry guys. I'm gonna do it
>>
>>49428899

thats why god invented valor bards
>>
>>49428935
There's still going to be that one guy who tries to play bladesinger or bladelock or a multiclass into a spellcaster that isn't divine.
>>
>>49428919
You can't prepare 2nd level spells.
>>
>>49428846
>>49428888
Thanks for the advice! I think I'm just gonna say that you need the Extra Attack to use it, like you suggested.
>>
>>49428993

Only if the book explicitly told me not to consider the AT a 1/3 wizard caster.
It implies it by omission, and then goes out of its way to tell me the opposite

>Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your wizard spells, since you learn your spells through dedicated study and memorization.

>In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a wizard spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

>wizard
>wizard
>wizard

I'm a wizard, Harry
>>
>>49429130
Just be aware that it's a situational buff to most martials.
In particular, the rogue will be let down a bit as the rogue can dash as a bonus action, and everybody else getting to dash AND attack is a bit of a downer.
Not to mention, rogues don't get extra attack.

Personally I'd add 'If you dash as a bonus action through any means and fulfill the requirements for charging, you may make an attack that would normally be usable with that bonus action (a two-weapon-fighting attack or martial arts' bonus attack)'

And then make it so there are more long-range encounters, and think of a way that enemies or allies can retreat without being charged up their ass every round.

Honestly the core rule of, 'I move 30ft and attack that fucker' is kind of enough of a charge already since you get to move AND attack at the same potential as if you were already in melee.

And an attack that allows you to recklessly attack is already 'reckless attack' for the barbarian.
>>
>>49429287
Multi-class spellcasting rules override the class's specific rules.

It states that you determine what level spells you can cast for each class individually as if you didn't have the other classes.

While calculating what spells you can add to your wizard spellbook, your levels in rogue do not apply.
>>
>>49428491
>>49428546
oh dang, i hadn't even thought of that synergy, gonna have to introduce that next level
someone just threw up the idea and it seemed to fit the character idea i'd been working on
i even took one with the shadows and overlooked the usefulness of darkness but even then devils sight is a hell with that

maybe i'll convince the DM to let me quickfix
>>
>>49429295
That's a good point. I might drop the Extra Attack requirement, in that case. We're playing without a grid, so it would be nice to be able to say that enemies are within one move or within charging distance, or are too far away to reach in this round.

What about reducing the bonus damage from charging to +3 or something? Or maybe even bringing back the old +2 hit / -2 AC thing?
>>
>>49428064

>I don't want to be a level 4 Wizard at level 6

Then why the fuck did you pick Arcane Trickster? One of the downsides to being a full rogue is that your casting isn't as good as a full wizard. You then multi classed out of that way too early (why?) instead of just sticking with Rogue anyways. This is your own fault. Maybe ask your DM to let you undo your stupid mistake?
>>
Elves can't be put to sleep via magic, says the RAW.

What would be a realistically powerful way for an elf to be unable to resist sleep magic?
>>
>>49429287

RAW and RAI doesn't agree with you. You are definitely That Guy right now. Messing up your spellcasting progression is one of the weaknesses of multi-classing.
>>
>>49429492
It's a bit weird to give flat bonuses, and keeping track of them might be a bit of a pain. Honestly, the 'no flat bonuses' is mostly to avoid overcomplication, so you could probably do that.

I think the idea of charging is it's not really supposed to make attacks better, but rather let you still attack even after dashing beyond your movement range.

Also, it's still kind of trampling over rogue's cunning action where normally only a monk/rogue/high level ranger can dash and make an attack.

So... I suppose 'charge' could be an action like dash. 'Your movement speed increases by a value equal to your move speed still left over (or however dash is worded) and you can only use your move speed to move towards your target in some way. Any movement from this provokes attacks from entering striking range. Once you have taken all attacks and you are within range, you may make an attack against your intended target.'

Not always useful, but lets people take a risk to attack beyond their normal range.

That's just one idea, anyway. I don't like the idea of people walking away and charging again unless they're specifically built for it.
>>
>>49429563
you put him sleep by normal means: drugging, alcohol, large amounts of gratuitous sex
>>
>>49429526

>Failed to read comprehension

I don't want to be a level 4 wizard at level 6, because I want to be a level 3 one instead
>>
>>49429563

Mage Hand carrying a bottle of chloroform
>>
>>49428903

moon druid is THE class to play with shit stats, since after level 2 you can rely more and more on animal stats.
>>
I wanna make a pirate character that's a bit of a voodoo shaman. Warlock seems to be the best fit for this. Is there a good homebrew for voodoo dolls and other related magic for Warlocks, or should I just pick one of the official patrons and reskin it?
>>
>>49429624
Well, as the other guy said, even as it stands with a +5 to damage or a 10 foot shove, once they're in close everyone who focuses on melee is going to have better options that aren't just disengaging and then charging again.
>>
>>49429643

Too bad? If you want to be a wizard, then be a wizard and just sneak around. School of Illusion and Bladesinger are both pretty good, should have picked one of those.

Even with their spell casting progression, Arcane Tricksters are still one of the best options in the game.
>>
>>49429655

Not sure about pre-existing homebrew, but

what if you prepare your spells for the day by making magic needles that cast the spells when used

Maybe Hex or something similar would be required to bind the Doll to the intended creature
>>
>>49429723
That's not a bad idea. maybe at level 1 they can make an attack by stabbing the needle into the doll, and the target makes a CON save against the damage? Then in later levels you can infuse the needles with spells and such.
>>
>>49429704
>should have picked one of those

Thank you, I did.

That isn't the question. The question is whether or not an Arcane Trickster qualifies as a wizard for matters of total spell progression in multi-classing.

The lack of explicit "Yes" has the rest of the people engaging in me in conversation disagreeing with my interpretation of a heavily implied Yes, the lack of an explicit "no", and the explicitly "No" in every other class in which logic would dictate a no anyway

It's not that I think my wizard is underleveled, is that I am loathe to overlevel it
>>
>>49429772

I imagine that screwing with the rules too much might make it really hard to balance (though if you're willing to put the work into it, go for it.)

I was thinking that maybe you incorporate the concepts of sympathy magic and just say that the dolls take on the properties of the target and the AC and stats and things, so the rules stay basically the same it's just fluffed to be flavored differently.

Having a blanketing 'target makes a con save to avoid damage' basically circumvents the entire concept of the stat blocks and the way it interplays with the spell design. I find it best to avoid rewriting rules whenever possible.
>>
>>49429826
>>49429826
>>49429826

NEW THREAD

>>49429826
>>49429826
>>49429826
>>
>>49429805

>the question is

there is no question. it doesn't, it hasn't, and it never will. they are two separate casting classes, period, and you cannot learn 2nd level wizard spells OR arcane trickster spells (which use the same spell list, but this is irrelevant).

>the lack of explicit "yes"

nigga what are you talking about
>>
>>49429287
Lex Specialis bruv, your DM is the judge though so you can do whatever you want as long as you can convince them that it is okay... Just like in real law, but if your DM tells you no and you keep trying to convince him then you are 10^1000000 "That Guy."
>>
>>49429685
Yeah. It works, but it's kind of a big kick in the nuts for the mobility classes when their gap-closing ability doesn't matter anymore.
It's not a big deal, but it definitely wouldn't ever be a core ruling without some class re-balancing.
>>
File: feel knight.jpg (131KB, 645x772px) Image search: [Google]
feel knight.jpg
131KB, 645x772px
>>49427673
sorry bro

I also lurk, I bought 100s of dollars of DnD books over the years, too, just for the fun of reading them (before there were these huge PDF libraries people have now) I have so many 3.5 e books

just an anxious nerd when it comes to dealing with people. I love giving DMs and players ideas and shit in threads though
>>
>>49428792

I don't think it's even that punitive. Drop a weapon for free, cast a spell with the weapon hand, use your item interaction to pick up the weapon, then when given the opportunity attack use your reaction to attack with the weapon is apparently RAW and RAI, which makes it all even more bizarrely nitpicky to begin with.
>>
>>49429601

Oh no, we've left behind That Guy and entered full bore Faggot zone. "I'll just count my rogue levels as wizard levels because there's no paragraph that tells me 'don't count rogue levels as wizard levels'" implies power-bottoming and probably a good bit of felching, as well.
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.