[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>TTRPG players dress like their characters Where did this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: i'm a dark elf!.jpg (43KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
i'm a dark elf!.jpg
43KB, 512x288px
>TTRPG players dress like their characters
Where did this meme come from? I've never done it, none of my players have ever done it, I've never heard of anyone else doing it, and apart from that greentext where the DM made players wear gas masks, I've never heard of anyone else doing it either. So where did it come from? I'm not "triggered", just genuinely confused.
>>
LARPers.
>>
>>49410640
It's just a visual gag Hollywood uses to let you know the characters on TV/film are playing D&D. Without that cue, normies would have no idea what the characters are doing. Plus, it's funny.

It also comes from conflating tabletop with LARP, because normies don't know the difference.
>>
>>49410686
>it's funny
Not really.
>>
>>49410752
For people who laugh at The Big Bang Theory, I mean. At least on TV.

LARP guys, at least American ones, are funny as hell to look at in real life.
>>
Well, we once used wine when we were playing VtM, but we were teenagers.
>>
>>49410686
Really? Wouldn't a shot of someone narrating an action and then rolling a d20 do the trick?
>>
I've never done it but I assume it would go into the fun of pretending to be your character for those who like to 1st person role play during a game.

If I had a good dwarf outfit and real life people who would play and tolerate me I would totally do it.
>>
>>49410975

You're giving normies too much credit.
>>
>>49410640
Oddly enough, the only thing good old Tricky Chick did right was show the characters in normal clothing.
>>
I'd gladly wear at least one thing of my character's, a cloak, hat, pin or other accessory, etc. Something that doesn't get in the way, and making a full outfit would be odd when the character needs to wear different things anyways.
But I'm a cosplayfag, so I'm biased.
>>
My group makes half assed attempts to dress as our characters I've only ever gone so far was a cloak from a convention
>>
>>49410640
I did it one time, trying to bring some extra RP to the group. Be in character, all that.

It was pretty horrible. Never did that again.
>>
My DM had a habit of giving me some bonus xp when I wore my cloak for D&D.
>>
>>49410975

Yeah but it's less visually engaging and thus doesn't work as well as a shorthand.
>>
DM ran a pathfinder game where he asked for two of us to make asian themed character because the adventure took place in Tian Xia. No one really wanted to do it because we already had characters but me and my friend eventually relented after coming up with a stupid idea. We showed up to the game in samurai and ninja garb and never broke character. The sorcerer thought it was hilarious and showed up in a robe and wizards hat the next session.

This has become somewhat of a tradition over the last few years. Whenever we start a new game/make new characters we go out and look for costumes.
>>
I recently bought a cheap plastic halloween costume pipe, because one of the NPCs my characters interact with most is the wheelchair-bound director of their Inquisitive agency, who often chews on a pipe. Gives a bit of a better feeling and recognition than just speaking with a pen cap in my mouth.
>>
>>49410880
>, at least American ones,
Well most of our "traditional" LARPing eras are done with guns, and massive gunfights are something that are sort of hard to clear with local authorities.

Although it's pretty fun to reenact the Battle of San Jacinto sometimes.

Also fun to put on full plate and ride on horseback around the shopping district. It's completely legal here, and people fucking love that shit.
>>
>>49412527
>Also fun to put on full plate and ride on horseback around the shopping district. It's completely legal here, and people fucking love that shit.

Important life lesson, pretending to wear plate armour and be a knight is not awesome. Wearing full plate is awesome, I mean, who doesn't like human tanks?
>>
>>49410686
Second post nailed it 100%.

Thread's over guys. You can go home now.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.