[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which system to use for a System Shock inspired Cyberpunk Horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: SystemShockSandS.jpg (130KB, 590x732px) Image search: [Google]
SystemShockSandS.jpg
130KB, 590x732px
Which system to use for a System Shock inspired Cyberpunk Horror game? Players exploring a location controlled by an A.I. and overrun with cyborgs and mutants.

It needs:
- lethal and somewhat robust combat system (ammo types, armor, accuracy, cover, etc)
- cyber-mods and performance-enhancing drugs
- WIRED hacking and cyberspace rules, no wireless shenanigans
- separation between mental and physical damage/stress

Systems I've considered so far:

Eclipse Phase; hits most of the boxes, but I'm not sure because of a lot of setting-dependent rule-systems, and the fact that the game assumes everything is wireless for its hacking systems. It can work with some tweaking, but I'd like to study other options before hacking a system.

Fate; I'm comfortable with the system, and I like how it handles a lot of things, but its abstract nature and proactive-drama presumptions might not fit the game style at all. I feel like a System Shock game would require a lot of specific rules regarding weapons, mods and consumables, so a narrative system might not be the best for this. It could work though; also, I feel like it could break immersion to have the players constantly get out of character to decide on Compels and Invokes in a horror game, but I might be wrong. If anyone has ever ran a horror game successfully with Fate, I'd love to hear about it.

Dark Heresy; like Eclipse Phase, it hits a lot of prerequisites for this type of game, but again like EP, it would require some hacking to work in this specific setting.

So, what do you guys think? Are there any systems out there that you think are a good fit for this?
>>
>>49392212

Hmm Classic Traveller has just the combat you described, with armor and ammo and all that, but while there are rules for drugs it doesn't really handle cyber-mods and stuff all that much. There's also little in the way of hacking rules, that that at least is an easy mod.
Mongoose Traveller may work better than Classic, though its combat deemphasizes armor types and stuff in favor of more streamlined combat. (There did away with weapon-vs-armor type tables)
I imagine somebody may have developed some rules for cyber-mods and stuff, if not for Classic, then for Mongoose (which is like 90% the same) so that might be workable.
>>
>>49392402
Shadowrun

Or fucking GURPS.
>>
>>49392613

Which GURPS sourcebook goes into hacking and cyberspace? I remember another anon commenting on GURPS hacking rules, but I don't remember which splatbook he was talking about.
>>
File: MGT Hacking System.png (41KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
MGT Hacking System.png
41KB, 800x600px
>>49392402
>that at least is an easy mod.

Oh yeah, should have posted this.
>>
>>49392773
GURPS Cyberpunk has full rules for Cyberspace and a hacking system
>>
System Shock is more post-cyberpunk
>>
I asked the for something close to System Shock a while back and an anon recomended Transhuman Space for GURPS.
>>
>>49395597

Hm, I have the rulebook laying around somewhere; never read it. I'll have to take a look.

Do I need the GURPS rulebook too, or is it stand alone?
>>
>>49395729
THS core has GURPS Lite in it.You can add stuff from the other GURPS books, though.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.