[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, what's the most underrated RPG system in your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1446411863704.jpg (36KB, 480x390px) Image search: [Google]
1446411863704.jpg
36KB, 480x390px
Hey /tg/, what's the most underrated RPG system in your opinion? I often enjoy reading the books as much as playing them, and have been reading nothing but OSR shit all summer, so I'm in the market for something real different.

Genre doesn't really matter, I just wanna see some less common ideas.
>>
>>49369225
Unknown Armies is still fairly popular, but I'd say it's underrated.

The setting can kind of be summed up with: Imagine World of Darkness, but the only monster is mankind, and mankind is fucking weird.
>>
>>49369225
Dogs in the Vineyard isn't really underrated, but old and indie.

I feel like Classic Fantasy is underrated because it's a small portion of RQ6/Mythras players using it.
>>
>>49369251

Haven't checked this one out before, though I've seen a few threads for it. I'll give it a look, thanks dude.

>>49369270

I remember starting to read this a couple years back, but don't remember anything from it. I'll check it out again. Might still have the pdf.
>>
Pathfinder
>>
>>49369422
Did they ever find that path, in the end?
>>
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e
>>
>>49369422

Pathfinder? I hardly know her!
>>
File: 2011 sakura.jpg (187KB, 950x635px) Image search: [Google]
2011 sakura.jpg
187KB, 950x635px
>>49369225
I really like Dark Conspiracy (but it's basically like Twilight 2000 + Shadowrun and does not have 'radical' mechanics).

For something really different, check out Legends of Wulin. The core book is lush but poorly edited, however the mechanics are unique and very flavourful.

Symbaroum is dripping with atmosphere, but may be too similar to OSR stuff.

If you really want to get into something different, several Japanese TTRPGs have been translated in recent years. Personally I recommend Tenra Bansho Zero, which has an extremely wild and colourful setting and mechanics that are rather different from most western games.

Similar to Unknown Armies above, there is Kult (Hellraiser the RPG), and also another personal favourite Whispering Vault (player character Hellraiser Cenobites as superheroes policing rogue gods, roughly).
>>
>>49369225
Hârnmaster. Also seconding Dark Conspiracy.
>>
>>49369251
I'd agree on setting. Definitely the best horror game out there, and probably my favorite setting for any rpg I've red. Sadly, the mechanics have always been pretty lame, and based on the beta, the new edition doesn't look any better.
>>
>>49370873
I've always loved the mechanics as much as the setting. So simple, but so robust. Also, the new edition is a bit of a clusterfuck, but it's also pretty fun to play as well.
>>
File: image.jpg (239KB, 650x794px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
239KB, 650x794px
>>49369225
I enjoy Dungeon World. Light enough to adapt to almost any situation that pops up, crunch enough to remain interesting for players and GM. Also has great 3rd party and fan support.
>>
>>49369225
You want something that's radically different from OSR? well then lets move from the most western shit to the most eastern shit

Anima: Beyond Fantasy, Double Cross, Tenra Bansho Zero, Chubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, Ryutama, Nobilis, Legend of the Wulin/Weapons of the Gods
>>
Amber Diceless.
>>
3:16 Carnage has a pretty slick narrative hyperviolence ptsd and alien/worlds generation system as a shout out to traveller that's worth looking at. .
>>
Dread is a haiku of an RPG system
>>
Dungeons the Dragoning is silly as hell, but the system is viable and damn fun to play. They do a good job of taking just enough mechanics from 7th sea to give it the loose badass feeling, while incorporating enough from other systems to make it feel unique.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.