[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 30

File: RCO025_1466128237.jpg (1MB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
RCO025_1466128237.jpg
1MB, 1920x2951px
>Previously on /5eg/:
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Session:
>>49324390

What are some lessons your party learned the hard way?
>>
>>49331483
>What are some lessons your party learned the hard way?

That bluffing giants only works if the giant is actually thinks that you are a threat to them.
>>
>>49331483
I can't use this prompt. Fuck you.
>>
>>49331483
Fireball doesn't amount to shit if everything is still alive after it. Make sure a couple people can do aoes.

Everyone fighting a separate target is a quick path to rolling death saving throws.
>>
Third for The Fighter, Revised
>>
>>49331483
That a brand new DM has zero issue with throwing your party into the fucking deep end without a flotation device.

>Your party is all level 3? Here's a room of 6 CR 5 monsters, have fun!
>>
>>49331483
United we stand, divided we fall.
>>
>>49331483
>Fire giants raiding a frontier village for a relic
>We're strong guys! We can take on the fire giants!
>Fire giant crits the cleric and instantly kills him after smacking the party by kicking a caravan into three of the party memebers
>>
>>49331756
Sounds like your guys would get along with mine >>49331575.
>>
>>49331738
Whats wrong with Fighter?
>>
>>49331483
>what are some lessons your party learned the hard way?
All Cops Are Bastards
>>
>>49331483
Never trust a demon, no matter how much they need your help and you need their help.
>>
>>49331483

Question, Is anyone else pissed that WotC isn't going to be producing anything but Adventure book for for 5th ED and otehr unimportant fluff Volo's Guide to Monsters?

I mean FR is the main setting and their isn't even a updated Book for it? Where's our new classes, feats, monsters, etc.? The adventures seem pretty legit and they add a little here and there. But Jesus", wanting to tell the 'stories' of why Orcs and Goblins are bad" instead of making variants of Orcs/Goblins by tribe for use in our campaigns. Do we really need this?

Anyone tell me if I'm taking crazy pills here. This is pretty much my biggest beef with 5th ED and the main reason I'm not 100% sold on it.
>>
>>49331780

They're relatively weak plus the archetype that grants maneuvers is dumb as it gives you like 5 to choose from...whoopty doo.
>>
>>49331910
How many 5e campaigns have you played in?
How long did they go?
How many characters did you go through?
>>
>>49331910
It's a really, really good edition dude.
If you ever feel you're missing something, it's the easiest edition to homebrew for they've ever created by a long shot.
>>
>>49331910
The endless content train of Pathfinder, 4e and 3e is literally a bad thing.
>>
File: 1428113650669.gif (47KB, 172x196px) Image search: [Google]
1428113650669.gif
47KB, 172x196px
>>49331928
>Fighters
>Relatively weak
>Battlemaster is too weak
>>49331910
>There isn't an updated FR book
There is, the Sword Coast Adventurer's guide, only only published non-core book that isn't an adventure.
>Volo's Guide is unimportant fluff
You ask for unimportant fluff and then dismiss it as bad?
>>
>>49331483

Anything can be a mimic.
You're low level and just got a a magic item that's above your pay-grade? It's probably cursed.
I mine every theory / speculation that the group has about the story for ideas.
>>
>>49331930

> How many 5e campaigns have you played in?

> How long did they go?
Been going since release (I'm the DM)

> How many characters did you go through?
One of the PC's got murder balled the first session. So the party of 3 has had 4 characters.
>>
>>49331928
>>49331974
I wasnt trying to start another shit flinging contest about whether or not a class sucks dick, I was just wondering what made fighter weak. I've seen it said before but I don't see it. Are barbarians just better tanks?
>>
File: ok..jpg (14KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
ok..jpg
14KB, 300x296px
>>49331979
>been playing the system for 2 years
>"not totally sold on it"
>>
>>49331910
>Where's our new classes, feats, monsters, etc.?
I could use more monsters, but I would rather avoid the rule bloat of prior editions as long as possible.
Archetypes might be cool though.
>Anyone tell me if I'm taking crazy pills here.
You're not and I would really like a setting book on the Realms at least.
I think basically they're trying to not fuck up the setting too much by playing as safe as possible and not telling us much about it at all, combined with cost-benefits of keeping print lines of books relatively cheap.
It's kinda notable that each new adventure they do in the Realms goes into a decent amount of detail about the regions in question in takes place in though; they seem almost like adventure-location supplements with a storyline attached.

Apparently sometime in 2017 the next big adventure will NOT take place in the Sword Coast and North and involve "mazes" or something. Though if I'm guessing right that will be made only after a big adventure revolving around Waterdeep that basically doubles as a city-guide is published.
>>
>>49331964

I'm not arguing for a splat book every 3 months or w/e. But any additional crunch at this point would be nice.
>>
>>49331483

They aggressively refused to set watches for some reason, preferring to fight whatever random thing blunders into their camp. I tried to drive the point home both subtly and bluntly for weeks.

They were still doing this as they moved into more dangerous areas. They slept in a forest known for its deadly creatures. One of said deadly creatures, a massive serpent, set upon them in the night as they slept, and poisoned, killed, and ate the Bard and the Paladin.

Now, they're crying unfair, because they "should've heard it coming".

Always set a fucking watch, kids.
>>
>>49331910
>>49332018
EEPC, SCAG, Volo's Guide, and the monthly Unearthed Arcana.

There's your extra crunch. Volo's Guide is MM2 by a different name.
>>
>>49331928
>fighters
>relatively weak

In comparison to what exactly? Outside of when my party fought a hoard of oozes my fighter has never been anything short of a beastly juggernaut. Maybe in comparison to paladins and certain full casters they seem lacking but other than that they are very well rounded.

Though a revise on the champion archetype would be rad.
>>
>>49331974
Dude the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide was garbage. 90% of the information was already online for free. I was actually pretty pumped for it to be released.
>>
>>49332004
>mfw enemy has a magic weapon so he ignores stupid bearbarians
>>
>>49331910
Homebrew. It doesn't need to have an official stamp on it, nor is it supposed to this edition.

I'm in a web of groups that all have large ass google drives full of various homebrews.
>>
>>49331910
I recall someone saying how they want to keep the character building stuff from becoming so big and menacing that it's nearly impossible to get into. Getting into 5th edition was easy cause I got the players handbook and that's all I needed.

I tried to check out 3.5 but there are so many books and compendiums that I don't know where to start. This set up makes learning D&D easy. And easy D&D means more players, which means more customers, which means more money.

If you really want extra stuff homebrew it, they give you guidelines to follow and everything. They even point out which homebrews they like so you can go there.
>>
>>49331935
>>49332063
Then how come most of the homebrew is still shit?

For a specific campaign, it's really easy to makeitems and such and abilities for NPCs I find but finding someting that can be fairly used across many campaigns like a class seems to be hard.

I find many homebrews have serious problems in them somewhere.
>>
File: Overlord.jpg (3MB, 2558x1573px) Image search: [Google]
Overlord.jpg
3MB, 2558x1573px
Let's talk warlords. Do you think warlords can be done in 5e? Do you think warlords should be done in DnD? Do you think warlord should be it's own class, or a subclass? Is there a decent warlord homebrew?
>>
>>49332082
They don't allow it, or tweak it. Just be sure you actually know how to calculate dice, and aren't just ruining people's fun because it doesn't FEEL right.
>>
>>49332033
Have you actually hinted that it would be a good ideas to the players?

At least one of the characters should have the common sense that deserves you spoonfeeding them a hint 'Your fighter should know from experience that you can't sleep soundly in the middle of the wilderness. You should probably have something set up in case things try to attack you at night.'
>>
Now Storm Kings Thunder is out, do we have any idea what the next campaign will be? If not, do we have an idea when they'll announce it?
>>
>>49331910
Calm down man, they clearly have ideas about putting psychic classes in and they've surveyed about what other settings to visit for 5e. See what they announce next year.
>>
File: 1460519074741.jpg (285KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1460519074741.jpg
285KB, 752x1063px
>>49332133
We did demons, dragons, undead, giants and elementals already, so it'll probably be an adventure about aberrations.
>>
>>49332111
>I tried to drive the point home both subtly and bluntly for weeks.

Including, yes, several times explicitly saying "Are you sure you don't want to set a watch? It's dangerous to sleep without having a watch! You're all experienced adventurers and KNOW that!"

And they say to me, paraphrased, "Watches are for pussies. If something finds us, we'll just kill it."
>>
>>49332083
I think with the heavy reduction of the tactical element and wargame-like aspects of the game combined with the simplified rules that Warlords are significantly less necessary and not as important.

If it had to be done I'd make it a Fighter archetype that was a pseudo-Bard, getting a few abilities to buff party members while still functioning as a normal Fighter.
>>
>>49332083
I love Warlords and I definitely think they have a spot in 5e. Everything around like that right now is a poor substitute
>>
File: 1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg (167KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg
167KB, 1280x852px
>>49332054
>The updated setting book was garbage because the information from old setting books is available online for free
And what would even more new updated setting books provide, then?
>>
>>49332133
The next one is codenamed "Labyrinth" and is due out in April. Most bets are on it being Undermountain-focused, but given CoS was "Cloak" and SKT was "Dagger," predicting it based on codenames is a stretch.
>>
>>49332133
No, but there's been some hints.
I could recount them but I'm not sure how reliable they'll end up being.
>>
>>49332168
This guy right here is an absolute fucker
>>
>>49332168
It already exists. It's called Purple Dragon Knight, it's in SCAG and it utterly sucks.
>>
>>49332180
I think there is a really strong possibility that it's an Undermountain adventure too; it fits the archetype of their last several adventures and they dropped serious hints in a specific place in SKT about it.
>>
>>49332182
If you don't mind? I quite like speculating.
>>
File: gao.gif (204KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
gao.gif
204KB, 500x492px
Reposting from the end of the last thread: unusual druid backstories anyone?
>>
>>49332171
"I sure wish I had a fighter archetype that could buff allies like a bard!"
Soooo when are you rolling that refluffed valor bard anon?
>>
>>49332188
Woah, tone down the hostility guy.
If someone asks for an opinion and you don't want to hear opinions then filter the word out, because chances are you're GONNA get at least one opinion you don't agree with.
>>49332205
Meh, I agree.
That's why I think it should be a better thought-out archetype if it's included.
>>
>>49332082
>Then how come most of the homebrew is still shit?
Because most people are brain dead and can't even manage to do something as simple as create balanced/decent homebrew?
Here - have some homebrew that's both mechanically balanced and that insults you at the same time!
>>
>>49332207
>>49332180
So basically just that 3.5 book then? Interesting seeing as in retrospect that almost seems like the precursor to their current style.
>>
>>49332159
Oh, right. You probably wouldn't even be in the wrong if you decreased all of their wisdom/intelligence scores by 1 because 'It fits your idiotic characters better' then. Of course, that's a completely dickish move.

I hope they understand the big deal of 'being caught while sleeping' and 'surprise rounds'. Or I hope they don't understand it, because that would make them even more foolish if they understood those rules and didn't act to keep things in their favour.

They really need to at least get the 'alarm' spell.

Do you let them wear armour while sleeping? I'd love to stop people from wearing armour if heavy armour wasn't already so shite.
>>
>>49332061
Does the weapon do psychic damage? Because magic weapons don't break through barbarian resistance normally.
>>
>>49332239
>no slashing unarmed attacks
Literally all you need, and it's not there.
>>
>>49332237
Did you ever play a 4e Warlord?
>>
>>49332289
Why would a cat girl have a slashing unarmed attack?
They would need terribly long finger nails - that's unhygienic.
>>
>>49332159
Have all of their things stolen, or a bunch of enemies that strike them at once, or an enemy that silences and spirits away one of them.
They will learn that they are responsible for letting the wolves in.
>>
File: 1473562759540.jpg (39KB, 387x411px) Image search: [Google]
1473562759540.jpg
39KB, 387x411px
>>49332309
>cat girl without long sharp nails
>>
>>49332216
Okay.
So a lot of the Faerun adventurers drop hints at the next adventure in Faerun; OotA had you run into that guy who was a worshipper of the Elder Elenental Eye without any explanation of what that was for example, and then cue PotA which has that same wizard douchebag starting up a lot of the problems of the adventure in the backstory and is ALL ABOUT the Elemental Evil Cult.

STK has a scene in Bryn Shander where the frost giants are searching for an artifact called the "Ring of Winter", which is actually powerful enough that if they got ahold of it it's game over. In addition the guy who is the son of a guy who was searching for it (Artimus Cimber) is a character in an old 2e novel about his search for the Ring of Winter.
They mention he was last seen in Waterdeep, but if you follow up on the lead it goes nowhere, only that the Harper's believe Cimber has gone rogue.

The next product is nicknamed "Labyrinth", and in Waterdeep there is a MASSIVE dungeon under the mountain next to the city called Undermountain.
In addition the book could serve as a 5e setting book for Waterdeep detailing it's locations, something that most of the adventures have done already.
>>
>>49332251
I rule it so if they sleep in their armour, they gain level one exhaustion. Never more than level one, though.

They KNOW about surprise rounds and being caught sleeping, and they've almost died from it before, but since it was only "almost", all it seemed to do was convince them they're fucking immortal. So now they know they're not.

>>49332313
The Bard and the Paladin were bitten by a giant venomous snake, died, and were eaten while the other two slept. They wouldn't stop bitching so I called last week's session there. We'll see if they've learned the lesson when we reconvene this week.
>>
>>49332341
Of course they wouldn't stop bitching, you just "snakes fall, two of you die"d them
>>
>>49332330
Oh, and aside from detailing Waterdeep and Undermountain they could detail Skullport (which is technically part of Undermountain) and include a famous Realms character which they are often wont to do, namely Halaster Blackcloak.
>>
>>49332239
Races are easier, but it works out.

I feel it could probably use a slight extra feature.
Something not too powerful, but unique. Right now it's just wood elf with enthrall and +1 cha instead of +1 wis and missing a couple of elvenish things.

I think an ability like 'If you have not used any movement actions in combat yet, you may use a reaction at the start of someone's turn to move up to half your move speed.'

Obviously doesn't work on a surprise round as you don't have reactions, it's kind of like alertness but provides benefits that something like the 'alert' feat doesn't give and it's probably not too powerful in itself. Just sort of fun little utility to get in someone's face or run away from someone on a not-surprise-round.
>>
>>49332330
That makes a lot of sense. Was hoping they'd do something a bit less generic like Strahd was, maybe a campaign set in Eberron or Dark Sun
>>
>>49332330
PotA came out months *before* OotA.
>>
>>49332380
I can't really add anything to it really. Any more actual features will put it in the "too good" territory. As it stands it's already a race that's actually competitive with variant humans as an optimizer's choice for a decent number of builds.
>>
>>49332395
Apparently sometime next year we might get that too, but I dunno.
All I'm doing is working with available information, of which there isn't much.

If you want my opinion, they won't do Dark Sun until the Mystic is finished and won't do Eberron stuff until the Eberron races get more widely used and statted out.
>>
>>49332434
That actually reinforces my belief; minor drow sidecharacter becomes major plot character in next book.
>>
>>49332179
>>49332063
>>49332013

To summarize everything my main point was that 5th is all around a pretty awesome system. The officall releases are done really well, minus SCAG IMO, and go into into amazing detail about heir section of the realms, like terrain features on a landscape painting. I feel like the landscape background is missing, so there's this nice scenery with no background to base it all on, and a background would be nice.
>>
>>49332341
One level of exhaustion isn't too bad if you're not constantly having to sleep in dangerous places.

I mostly want to avoid penalizing sleeping in heavy armour just because there's very little benefit of choosing to wear heavy armour except if you're a GWF fighter. Otherwise, it's generally always optimal to go dexterity and wear medium armour. Even if you're a paladin, unless you want to multiclass. and have bad stats. .. Which sounds pretty stupid.

So, a beefy plate armour wearer may only have an AC of about 9 or so in a mid-night fight, compared to a dex fighter or paladin or something. And that would be okay, if it wasn't that there's almost no upside to wearing heavy armour aside from '+1 AC' and 'you might get to wear more magical armour if your DM is nice'

But yes, if the night battles aren't major and it's only a level of exhaustion, the ruling should be fine. I'm still salty that heavy armour sucks, even moreso when you can't sleep in armour.

>>49332364
To be honest, he did state he constantly warned them that bad things might happen. And it's completely feasible it might happen.

I think a friendlier DM might have given them some benefit of the doubt so that the players had some chance of fighting back, but they really did deserve to die. And for all I know, they did have a chance of fighting back there.
>>
>>49331483
To not run in the middle of goblin ambush without checking for an ambush.
>>
>>49332438
Also makes sense, cheers dude
>>
>>49331483
If you do anything with a bag of holding it ruin everything.
>>
>>49331483
I was split from the party at the time when it happened
>Get stuff stolen by bandits
>Pursue bandits a day later with two NPCs
>Find bandits massacred and disembowled
>Searching intensifies
Basically they learned that you cant search through dead bodies and organs without people becoming absolutely horrified

It was essentially Murderhobos learned there are consequences to Murderhoboing
>>
>>49332436
Hmm..
I went over comparing it to the wood elf, and I think it is actually balanced in comparison to the wood elf.
So you're probably right.
I saw elves having elven weapon proficiency + trance + mask of the wild + extra language but losing those small flavour boosts is a fair trade for enthrall + 5ft extra speed.

I guess I just think it's a little boring. You see there elves get four little extra things, traded for two things. Though still more exciting than, say, a half-orc.

>perception
Like an elf.
>surefooted
Similar to charm resistances, kind of nice ability.
>40ft speed
Like a wood elf, but a bit better.
>enthrall
Pretty fun. A bit situational, but certainly should be kept.
>+2 dex, +1 cha
A bit similar to +2 dex, +1 wis. Dexterity is kind of the god-stat, and both charisma and wis users like dexterity.
>darkvision
Same as an elf.

It's different enough to be perfectly fine, but I think it'd be better if maybe something was ever so slightly tweaked (Such as speed from 40ft to 35ft) and some new little unique ability be added.
>>
>>49332638
Having that one extra hit to take is pretty exciting to me.
>>
>>49332655
Yeah. The half-orc abilities are good, but there aren't really any minor little extra things other than 'you know orcish and you know intimidation'.

It's fine enough, but then you get ones like dwarfs and elves who get a whole list of tiny little extras.
>>
>>49332083
I've had a character concept rolling around for a while of a warlord type character, but it's basically just a refluffed valor bard.

It's still a little caster heavy than I'd find ideal, but it's not awful.
>>
>>49332638
You could add something if you'd like - I kind of like keeping the feature count low and the impact of the features high.
Elegance in simplicity. And in cat girls~
>>
File: Unicorn_Launch_Novel.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
Unicorn_Launch_Novel.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>49330524
>>49329211
It's called heroes of the orient, it's a 5e on Dms guild
I'm looking for a PDF of 5e orient expansion, titled as above.
>>
>>49332035

That's not crunch, that's an excuse.

$0.02 has been deposited into your account, you can fuck off now, Shekelstein.
>>
>>49332638
I would personally drop it to 35ft, let it speak to cats and let its unarmed attacks be slashing.
>>
File: smug snail.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
smug snail.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>49332824
>new classes, class archetypes, spells, races, and monsters
>not crunch
>>
>>49331935

It's not good, it's just simple and thus more attractive to Wizards New target audience: hipster wannabes who watch Big Bang Theory and have the attention span of a coked up kitten.

> it's a really really good addition.

Yep, that extra "really" totally sold me on it. Next time come up with something better. But I guess when (((Mearls))) only pays you a penny per post, you have to make as many as you can so that your wife's son can go to college some day. Good luck.
>>
>>49332773
https://mega.nz/#!2UwEwQyD!hDiI9GNC5XWArR84KRjLvzOuhNG0O1rMUoOau54Zf-I
>>
>>49332040
I don't know much about it, but I agree.
Battle master seems really dry.
>>
File: ah yes I see.jpg (51KB, 359x305px) Image search: [Google]
ah yes I see.jpg
51KB, 359x305px
>>49332824
>>49332885
Oh, it's just Virt.
>>
>>49332885
It actually is good. Really good. Some might even say really really good ;)
How are you enjoying playing that monk in 3.5 bro?
>>
Is it possible to play 5e with only a d6? also have anyone has thinked about damage rolls with adventage?
>>
>>49332870

Races are just worldbuilding strain. 90% of new races are filler or slight variations on an already existing concept.

New feats would be nice. Oh wait even adding a single feat will disrupt DnD 5e's PERFECT balance. Because, you know, Booming Blade is balanced. Totally doesn't rape the action economy.
>>
File: mr salty.jpg (82KB, 320x370px) Image search: [Google]
mr salty.jpg
82KB, 320x370px
>>49332956
They added new feats in an Unearthed Arcana like two months ago, Virt. If you're gonna use bait, at least use more up-to-date bait. Yours is old and stale, like everything else in your life.
>>
>>49332948
>Is it possible to play 5e with only a d6
Yes but you're going to have to come up with your own fucking math for it, since that won't mesh well at all with the game's mechanical base.
>>
>>49332956
>booming blade is unbalanced
k e k
>>
>>49332919

> this strawmanning / projection

As if the 5e monk is any better. Rogue s only viable because they let Expertise shatter 5e's ((((bounded accuracy))). Which clearly wasn't that important in the first place.
>>
>>49333009
Who strawmanned?
Strawmanning involves making an argument and ascribing that argument to having come from you despite it *not* having come from you.
I asked how your monk was doing ;)
>>
File: 1473778606629.png (512KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1473778606629.png
512KB, 785x757px
>>49333004

So the action e economy doesn't matter then? Let's start adding new types of actions like they did in 3.5 then, that will end well.

Fucking dumbass. I bet you think bounded accuracy is good game design, too. Have fun with your 20 percent to-hit increase during your transformation between half-trained peasant and nascent god.
>>
>>49332083
I'd like to see a Paladin built around the idea.
>>
>>49332772
Yeah. do however you want to do it but I already know a couple of DMs who've seen it after I might have posted and may or may not have the race included now.

It's mostly just that it kind of tramples over the wood elf a bit, whose main feature was the fact they were the fastest race Ignore aarakocra. 50ft fly speed was a mistake. and having a race that's very similar except even faster kind of devalues it.
And then, they don't actually have any abilities that are generally useful in combat other than advantage against being knocked prone, moving a bit more on your turn and having darkvision that most races have as standard.

>>49332868
I'd think those are really situational features, though. It's not often you have to use slashing instead of bludgeoning.
It wouldn't be bad to have as a little extra.
Though I do agree with 35ft speed instead.
>>
>>49333035
I'm not sure if we have a virt or just a fan of his work, but when you start seeing someone throwing around the words "strawman" or "big bang theory" you're probably better off just ignoring it
>>
>>49333042
Booming blade doesn't change anyone's action economy senpai~
>>
>>49333035

I don't have a monk. Therefore, strawman.

> inb4 you go "lol yeah you do" like a cancerous 14 year old cunt (which s probably half this general at this point given the lack of critical thinking,skills exhibited here)
>>
>>49332239
>All those metagaming perks
>Balanced
Bonus speed, basically impervious to environmental hazards, bonuses to perception, darkvision along with regular character perks.

Lmao. Get out furry faggot.
>>
>>49333059
Probably a good idea mang.
>>
>>49333060

Holy shit are you serious?

Post the rules text for it right now faggot. You're gonna get some education today.
>>
>>49332180
They have been talking up Waterdeep lore on the podcast for a couple of weeks. The next adventure is almost 100% certainly going to be Undermountain.
>>
>>49333042
>>49333042
>Nascent God

High level 5e characters are like mythical Greek heroes. Still mortal, but amazing.
>>
>>49332986
yea i was thinking that modifiers wouldnt go so high because the game would break
>>
File: IT ENDS.jpg (17KB, 316x239px) Image search: [Google]
IT ENDS.jpg
17KB, 316x239px
WHERE IS THE MYSTIC
>>
>>49333108
I use booming blade as my go to cantrip on my EK and all it does most of the time is raise my damage by 1d8
>>
>>49333148
Unearthed arcana, after the fifth ranger remake.
>>
File: 1472784715637.png (74KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
1472784715637.png
74KB, 300x256px
>>49333091
Am I explaining the joke, or are you complaining about Wood Elves?
>>
>>49333091
Get a load of this guy.

>>49333054
I used variant human as my high-stone for the general power I was aiming for. People can find higher value in elves in a number of builds than they can from the CG, but I think CG is probably overall a tad above wood elf for general purpose and below variant human.

Elven tricks are pretty handy though. Being able to be aware while "sleeping", advantage vs charm and immunity to magical sleep, +whatever your subrace gives you aren't totally negligible. There are games/builds where I'd pick wood elf over CG if I were aiming for sheer game efficiency, such as feywild games or games where I'm the scout/camp guard and my DM is a night-ambush kind of guy.
>>
>>49333108
>He thinks 'If the target willingly moves before then' means taking any action at all rather than just moving squares
>>
>>49332638
I don't think I could really overlook the 40ft speed myself. I'd probably put it down to 35 or 30 and give them some sort of unique ability about reducing falling damage (maybe counts 10 feet less or half damage or something idk)

I also don't really like enthrall for a lot of reasons. First is other racial spell-like shit is usually long rest. The second is it seems like you're trying to represent something non-magical with a spell that has limits that don't really make sense in that context. The third is it makes a lot of expectations about how the world sees your fetish. I think it's mechanically sound enough, but kind of a shit. I'd just replace it with some proficiency or skill

Also does the world really need more dex races?
>>
>>49333108
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.

Where is someone denied their actions, exactly, bruh?
>>
>>49331863
Barbecue their dicks
Barbecue their dicks
>>
>>49332364
>snakes fall, two of you die
I partially agree, but only because I get the sense that he paralyzed them one by one, only allowing them to make 1 save roll before being poisoned and killed off by the snake... not unrealistic a punishment for stupid players,
But, personally I would have set a raiding party of bugbears (or a higher CR semi-intelligent pack of brutes[as needed]) on them, every mob with advantage, all attacking in concert on a massive surprise round just to prove to the PCs that if you give yourselves to your enemies on a silver platter they will take it.
>>
>>49333263
Enthrall is a shitty spell bruh - it's why it's alright for it to reset on a short rest.

>The second is it seems like you're trying to represent something non-magical with a spell that has limits that don't really make sense in that context
wat

>The third is it makes a lot of expectations about how the world sees your fetish
Bruh. Are we reading the same thing?
>>
What is the highest intelligence beast eligible to be a companion that isn't in the new default?
>>
>>49332364
>>49332475
>>49333271
The party had passive perception to wake up, failed, then the Bard and Paladin had an active perception check each when it approached them in turn, failed, then woke up automatically when it bit them one by one.

Neither thought to call for help, or make noise at all, just try to punch (Bard) or stab (Paladin) the snake, be nice and give the rest of the other two active perceptions to hear that, failed, a few failed Con saves later the Bard and then the Paladin are paralyzed, killed, and devoured, and the snake heads on his way because I don't want to be responsible for a TPK today.
>>
>>49333337
Probably 2-3. Why?
>>
>>49332890
I fucking love you
>>
>>49333341
OK they deserved it 100%. either that scenario or a couple thieves coming and stealing all of their shiniest shit - which can be just as much of a punishment.
I'm starting with a new group on Saturday and I'm praying they aren't as aggressively dumb.
>>
File: I-know.png (178KB, 500x214px) Image search: [Google]
I-know.png
178KB, 500x214px
>>49333379
I know
>>
Would you let a player use this feats?

Arrow avoidance: he cannot be hit by projectiles
Arrow guarantee: any projectile he uses is guaranteed to hit the target
Magic resistance: No curses, debuffs, or buffs can affect him
Fire avoidance
Wind absorption
Earth resistance
Water reflection
Darkness immunity
Light sharing
Swiftness: He can move at superhuman speed. This affects mounts as well
Riding mastery: He can ride any animals
Initiative: He cannot be ambushed
First attack immunity: The first time an attack is performed at you, it always misses.
Preceding attack immunity: The second attack and all following attacks misses you
Rain blessing: He gains advantage in rain
Sun blessing: He gains advantage in sunny weather
Night's blessing: He gains advantage during night
Morning blessing: he gains advantage during morning
Mind reading: Vague understanding of what's on other people's mind
Item mastery: able to know how to use any item he holds
Unarmed mastery: Very strong even without any weapons, like monk
Blessing of War god: able to use any weapons masterfully, proficiency in all weapons
Blessing of Lake: Can walk on water
Blessing of Mist: Mist do not hinder his view
Blessing of Cloud: can walk on cloud
Blessing of lightning: Lightning will never strike him
Master Teacher: His students become successful in learning faster
Training mastery: Can train not only his body, but also other people, to their maximum potential
Poison immunity: Immune to all poison
Illness immunity: Immune to all sickness and disease
Power bleeding: Bleeding actually makes him stronger
Blessing of the Phoenix: Upon death, you can revive
>>
>>49333246
I normally find people pick elf for other reasons, though.

Trance is certainly handy, but it's not why people tend to pick elf. I often see people go 'Oh, I'll want a dex race.' On that grounds, it's good that it's +1 to charisma instead of +1 to wisdom or +1 to intellect like high or wood elf.

But yes, the real problem is that it's taking something unique to the wood elf, and then doing it twice as good, while also having many other traits in common. It's not imbalanced, just a bit invasive of the other race's racials.
And then there isn't really any unique racial to portray a cat-like nature other than being a bit less likely to mess up on certain saves, and even then you might only do as well as a human with bad luck.

>>49333263
Dex is a pretty useful skill, so it doesn't hurt to have more dex races, I guess.

Enthrall is mostly about 'distracting people', and if it's some sort of magically inherited thing like a siren's song then I think it's fine enough.
It's a bit of a situational spell that works well to support, say, a rogue, so it's probably fine to have it as a short rest, though worst case scenario you have to put up with a catgirl enthralling all session long.
If a game has cat-girls in it, whoever is there probably will think they're cute, otherwise you've inserted them into the wrong campaign.

I think all the way back down to 30ft might be too much. 35ft speed would be what I'd call it at, so that wood elf doesn't become second-rate in comparison.
>>
>>49333337
Giant Owl. 8 Int, understands some languages, but can't speak them. There's similarly high intelligence for other giant birds making it a kind of theme in the base MM. Giant Eagle is the weakest one, though, so it's the closest to being appropriate for actual use.

It has HP, Large Size, a Fly Speed to allow you to fly around on your companion mount, so it doesn't fit the normal restrictions properly.
>>
>>49333424
Kill it. With. Fire.
WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE SUCH COMPLETELY TERRIBLE SENSES OF BALANCE!?!
>>
>>49333358
Just for roleplay reasons. I like the idea of a super smart pet.
>>
>>49333424
No to all except the teacher/training thing, but that's only because I feel like there's more to know about them before I say no
>>
>>49333341
They're just assblasted, then. You're a perfectly fine DM, and I pity you for having such players.

>>49333424
Yes.
However, they will have many, MANY things that REALLY hate their fucking guts, and will promptly chase them down and murder them for various reasons relating to the backstory to get all those feats and the consequences of having those feats.
Every single feat will have a required downside to it.
Darkness immunity? You now have light vulnerability.
Item mastery? Any item he holds also knows how to use him.
Night's blessing? He now has disadvantage in sunlight.
Sun's blessing? He now as disadvantage at nighttime.
>>
>>49333443
>Giant Eagle is the weakest one
I meant Giant Owl.
>>
>>49333424
Why?
>>
>>49333424
>>49333503
Alright, here's the plan:
Let him play.
Bring along a lich.
Have the lich cast 'power word: kill'.
Alternatively, have a bunch of monks with an alternative stunning fist that does not require you to land an attack to stun the target.
Alternatively, have a flying warlock come along and bombard him with eldritch bolts.

And then have a cleric or something pray to their god to wish that this person could never revive again for the love of all that is holy.

There is nothing protecting him against physical save throws that debuff.
There is nothing protecting him from magical attacks with saves.
Thereis nothing that allows him to fly.
>>
>>49333441
They're cute though!
The kind of cat girls drafted in that pdf are far more reminiscent of humans than cats.
You might think the features are maybe a little dull, but I think it catches what I wanted out of the race in being a mechanically desirable choice in a number of builds over variant human while simultaneously paying sufficient homage to their inspiration.

If I were to dump the movement speed - which is currently their main racial trait - they would likely lose desirability to casters by quite alot. I could retool them to be more desirable for casters, but again I'm likely throwing away general desirability for much more specific desirability (at least in terms of sheer mechanical desirability, not fluff).
>>
>>49333424
These sound more like blessings or boons.
>>
So how do you guys personally use GOOlocks awakened mind ability? Also do you guys use it as 1 way or 2 way communication?
>>
>>49333503
I mean I could allow that kind of feat then tweak it to be something I can accept, but frankly they're all just so insultingly bad that I don't think I'd give someone the time of day.

Some of these are just hilariously bad. What the hell would earth resistance even be considering how DnD treats that sort of thing? "Initiative" is actually a complete downgrade from an existing feat AND it's named something that could result in easy mix ups
>>
File: Beast Conclave.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Beast Conclave.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Here's a comparison of balance between the given Beast Companion options.
It's all the fuck over.
In the book they put these in, they need to add statblocks for all animals CR 1/2 and under and include actual calculation methods, because things are obnoxious to dig and derive.
Also, I want to play a giant crabolier.
>>
>>49333565
They're already quite desirable charisma-based casters.

They have +1 charisma, and +2 dex, both useful for a caster.
Being resistant to being knocked prone can prove useful quite often because a prone caster is likely to be a dead caster quite soon.
Even 35ft speed can help a lot to kite an enemy, perhaps.
If they can move as a reaction at the start of combat, they can get away from immediate melee danger, too. Or, they could be given some other ability in compensation for going down to 35ft speed. 35ft speed is still good for anyone.
Perception is good for pretty much anyone.
Not to mention, +2 dexterity is good for pretty much anyone.
Enthrall has some pretty situational but interesting uses. Might be able to use in combat as a sort of taunt, or just to help thieves get around or something. So that has pretty general applications.

Right now I'd say it's on a good level of general desireability, but I wouldn't want speedfreaks to default to catgirl just for the speed over wood elf. Rather, it being more of a choice for anyone who wants speed.
Other really minor cat-boons aside from reaction movement I can think of would be 'pass without trace' but only used on self, the fall damage resistance mentioned, or.. Okay, speaking with cats isn't too useful, really.

You don't have to change anything, but I'm certainly wary about a 40ft over a 35ft. I'd be a bit less wary if there were multiple 35ft movement races.
>>
>>49333622
If these aren't 'free feats' that they take, and actually feats that are allowed, I'd personally go through every single one and tell them why it's a load of shite.

If they want a fucking blessing of a fucking war god then go fucking war fucking cleric.
>>
>>49333047
Paladin of the crown
>>
>>49333424
>Riding mastery: He can ride any animals
>Initiative: He cannot be ambushed
>Blessing of Lake: Can walk on water
>Blessing of Mist: Mist do not hinder his view
>Master Teacher: His students become successful in learning faster
>Poison immunity: Immune to all poison
>Illness immunity: Immune to all sickness and disease
why are there random trash feats mixed in with the stupidly broken overpowered ones
these are all either shit or can already be accomplished easily without a feat
>>
Is there any natural way to boost a druid's wild shape forms? Specifically, a single form?

Druid wants a themed druid who works one particular form, but the stats for the actual form don't progress.
>>
>>49333647
>two pages
>>
>>49333674
Just saying, you know that humans can start with 40 movement right?
>>
>>49333674
If we're talking about charisma casters, then we're really competing with half-elf and variant human for that slot. It would take more than what they've got at 35 speed to be up to par on that end.
I think a reaction move on initiative rolls would be too good as a racial trait given what else they have desu. That's better than 5' speed in my honest opinion. Now, it wouldn't be too good to make the race broken or anything, but that is just a really really strong feature.

Pass without a trace is a great spell, but I think having access to that - even on a long rest - would also be probably overly good. Rogues can't get access PWaT unless they're arcane tricksters, and even then not until level 7. Now, like the initiative -> reaction move feature, I don't think this is enough to make the race *broken*, I just think it would push it into overly-good territory.

I can see the fall damage reduction thing, but there are a number of redundancies and class-clashes that hits, and it's not a very strong feature. Feather fall is a level 1 reaction cast that hits multiple people =/

Those aren't bad suggestions senpai, it's just the first two are kind of problematic I think, and the third is unattractive (not fluff-wise, but mechanically).
>>
>>49333864
Yeah, but not provoking AoOs when you make a melee attack against someone doesn't provide enough universal utility to beat out the +1 attribute point, advantage vs prone/losing balance, darkvision, and a short-rest gimmicky spell.

The cat girl is a very obviously mechanically more desirable choice than a variant human with mobile for most PC builds.
>>
>>49331910
They do keep saying in the surveys that they're starting to work on the first rules based e passion.

I expect a lot of it to be polished unearthed arcana with a few things extra.
Perhaps the completed psion class they tested too.
>>
>>49333647
>Also, I want to play a giant crabolier
BROTHER
>>
>>49333864
Yes, as a feat, which isn't really a racial. A wood elf can still go and pick up the 'mobile' feat.

Variant humans make quite a few sacirfices in order to get a feat like that, and often people would rather pick something like GWF when that happens.

It is something I forgot about though, so it's a decent point.

But a variant human sacrifices many other options in order to get that 40ft, and someone who is intent on being SANICSPEED would rather go wood elf and then get mobility.

If anything like the 40ft was a significant issue I'd have said so, but I just think it's slightly intrusive and it might be nice to see an additional unique feature.

>>49333870
Half-elves are more skill-monkeyish. You just have to make it not very skill-monkey like, and it's a viable alternative. 35 ft speed is still attractive as a wood elf's sub-racial - it's half what you get from the 'mobility' feat and stacks with mobility, even if it doesn't give the other feat features.

Pass without trace is intended for entire party use. If you have it on only yourself, you can't move with your party. Although the main problem with this is encourages 'lone wolf' play, but I wouldn't call it too powerful.

Dark vision is a spell. Alarm (to wake up) is a spell. resistance against charms and such is a class feature.
There aren't really a lot of class features that interfere with it, and not a lot of people have feather fall prepared all the time. Featherfall is pretty situational.
>>
>>49331928
I like battlemasters, I play battlemasters.

Though my only complaint is that they're too frontloaded when the archetype is taken. Actually, I wouldn't mind additional options when you get new maneuvers, for not necessarily more powerful maneuvers but different maneuvers I guess unique for the level.

Though that's just to make the leveling feel worthwhile. Its fine and competent and awesome as is.
>>
Revise ranger make me want to play mount character!

How do mount work with Sentinel? Can I order my mount to walk pass enemy to trigger enemy's OA, which will trigger my sentinel feat?

Also can my Halfling use Ape as a mount? I don't think there is a rule on using non quadreped mount.
>>
>>49333647
>>49333424
Most of those sound like boons desu. If the party has passed level 20 then I might be inclined to allow a couple of these. Even as boons though, most of these are still OP.
>>
>>49333986
Half-elves are just amazing for Cha casters period. 2 to your main stat, and 1 to Con and Dex is pretty damned good. Skills are neat, and let you add more depth and utility to your character. And they get fey ancestry of course.
For bards I think they're the best race. For warlocks and sorcerers I think they're actually better than variant human too actually, since casters don't benefit as much from feats as martials. I'll still make an alert/lucky/resilient variant human Cha caster now and again, but I do think half-elf is still mechanically stronger.

Nobody is making the perception check to beat a rogue cat girl with pass w/ out a trace. Especially if your DM uses passive perception - the rogue might as well be completely invisible. The big limiting factor of pass normally is that a non-super-sneaker has to provide it, and does so using their concentration. In most of my games, the party rogue performs the corpse function - scouting out locations without endangering the rest of the party is generally encouraged as a tactic when the rogue can actually get in and get out without being detected/dying. So having pass as a *racial* to accomplish that is... really really good.

>Featherfall is pretty situational
Exactly =/
Replacing a good feature - 5' movement - with a very rarely applicable feature seems painful, given CG doesn't really offer that much otherwise.
>>
>>49333604
I say something nice with vocal words while saying the exhaust opposite in telepathy and then gaslight the NPC when he freaks out.
>>
>>49332061
If your DM frequently throws enemies with magical 'IGNORE RESISTANCE!' weapons or 'psychic damage!' weapons. They're a dick. They should use them slightly more than usual to pose a challenge, but not frequently at all.
>>
>>49334180
Bearbarians are actually terribly troubling to actually challenge though senpai. Especially when your dex paladin with shield mastery and resilient dex provides him with +5 to every single save and immunity to fear and charm.
>>
>>49331483
That attempting to seduce, kill, and usurp the Captain of Ship Baram as a level 2 party is unlikely to succeed.
>>
>>49332083
Warlords have two approximations in the Fighter.

Battlemaster: Some of the Battlemaster maneuvers are very reminescent of the Warlord

-Commanders Strike allows you to give up one of your attacks and a bonus action to let an ally in range use their reaction to attack and deal extra damage based on your spent superiority die.
-Rally grants an ally some temporary hit points, but it doesn't scale very well
-I forget the name debuffs an enemy for a turn and gives allies a better chance to hit.
-I think one lets allies move?

Purple Dragon Knight/Banneret: Mainly stacks ally buffs on top of existing fighter features.
-When you use your second wind your allies nearby also heal some damage.
-When you take action surge one ally nearby can attack on your turn

Neither of these truly cover the full spread of the Warlord...just bits and pieces. However lets look at the playtest fighter subtypes. They all use superiority dice with frontloaded specific maneuver options. Cavalier on Fighting mounted, Scout on precision and stealth, Monster Slayer on damage and investigation.

We just need a new fighter archetype that focuses heavily on ally support.
>>
File: Carnotaurus.png (67KB, 464x768px) Image search: [Google]
Carnotaurus.png
67KB, 464x768px
I'm going to be running a dinosaur campaign, so I'm trying to get stat blocks for a few different species. How does this look? The 'Bloodthirsty' ability feels kind of weirdly worded to me still.

Mainly I just don't want them to all to feel like bags of hitpoints, I actually want them to have some interesting abilities. Is this a good path to go down? If there's interest I can post some other dinos I have statted up.
>>
>>49334223
Then you need to find some way to seperate the paladin. Constantly throwing blatantly 'I ignore your ability' enemies is bad.
Don't have enemies that automatically ignore your abilities. Have enemies that try to counter your abilities.
>>
>>49334276
Ram prone save DC ought to be 15, given 8 + 3 +4.
That looks in line with what a CR two should pose as a threat I think.
>>
>>49334180

Better to just ban, or modify the option. At least then it won't feel like they wasted their choice on something you'll bypass anyway.
>>
>>49334289
How do you counter a gnome paladin that literally rides the bearbarian?
>>
>>49333424
>Arrow avoidance: he cannot be hit by projectiles
stopped reading
no.
>>
>>49334321
You attack the rest of the party.
You use creatures that automatically grapple on a hit to pull the gnome off.
You don't let the gnome ride the barbarian and fight at full capacity because that's retarded.
Adjust to using the hard or deadly ends of encounter calculation since your group can clearly handle it.
Use divide and conquer spells to separate these two melee goons from their party.
Stop thinking that attacking AC and attacking saves are the only ways to challenge PCs.
>>
>>49334462
It's a two-man party consisting of a gnome paladin and his mount, a bearbarian.
Auto-grapple might work, but if the enemy is in melee in the first place the bearbarian and paladin are just going to slaughter it before it can use its movement to drag the gnome out of aura range of the bearbarian.
>You don't let the gnome ride the barbarian and fight at full capacity because that's retarded
But the rules totally allow that.
>Adjust to using the hard or deadly ends of encounter calculation since your group can clearly handle it
I do that though. This duo is unstoppable. Like, neither of them are particularly bright PCs, but in terms of combat they are just something else.

>Use divide and conquer spells to separate these two melee goons from their party
There *is* no party.
>>
>>49334519
Throw CR out the window then because it doesn't work for a 2 person party. You'll need to adjust to what the players are capable of dealing with. Sounds like they'd get their asses kicked by a lot of lower CR creatures though since there's no aoe or mass CC between them.
>>
>>49334570
Gnome is about to get destructive wave tho, and bearbarian mega-cleaves every round.
It's gotten to the point where everything is more or less politics, intrigue, and questing. Enemies fuck with everything else, and pretty much either say "fuck this" and flee from the absurd duo or else get slaughtered when it comes to actually confronting them.
>>
What do you guys think of the Ranger revision?
>>
>>49334519
Unless I'm misinterpreting Bearbarian (we're talking about Totem Path:Bear right? not a literal Bear with ranks in Barbarian) then there are no rules to account for a gnome riding another player character. Mounts must have "appropriate anatomy" to hold a rider. (PHB 198)

Seems like you're a pushover DM letting players get away with some nonsense. It's creative nonsense, but lets be honest, neither of those characters are going to fight at peak ability if one is straddled on the other's shoulders.
>>
>>49333424
>Wind absorption
>Water reflection
What do those even mean?
But yeah, I'd allow it, too bad the campaign is set around fantasy Sami/Siberian/Eskimo tribes and wilderness survival so I hope he's happy about his "Fire avoidance".
>>
>>49334647
It's good.
>>
>>49334647
Great.
>>
>>49334647
Pretty cool guy. You can play as Naked Snake or Big Boss with D-Dog.
>>
>>49333986
>But a variant human sacrifices many other options in order to get that 40f

they don't just get 40 ft. They also get a couple of other perks
>>
>>49334681
>"I reflect the water"
kek
>>
>>49334677
He has appropriate anatomy - he's a hunch-backed minotaur with a saddle.
Nothing about it is nonsense at all. They're just a regular gnome oath of devotion paladin and minotaur bear totem barbarian.
>>
>>49334725
Opportunity cost.
Also >>49333903
>>
>>49334735
You're a pushover DM dude.

>>49334644
You're dealing a level 17+ group of 2 players. You have options at those levels to just be completely unfair. Strafe them with dragons that don't land and fight ever. They just circle and wait for breath weapons to recharge. Attack the paladin before the barbarian if you use single target stuff, he's the softer of the two targets and if he's taken out, the barbarian won't pass saves so easily.
>>
>>49334644
Mega-cleave?
Even with GWM that's only 3 attacks a round.

You can wear down a paladin and barbarian easily if you don't engage them. They can't fly, can they? Even if they pass saves all the time, they'll still take damage from a lot of spells and magical attacks like breath weapons. Wear them down and don't play your NPCs as morons that will engage in melee combat with PCs that are better than them at melee.
>>
>>49334735
>bull head therefore he's 100% mount and 100% bipedal warrior at the same time.
Btw just curious, what debuffs did you give the minotaur character for their kyphosis? breathing difficulty? hairline spinal fractures?
>>
Dunno if this belongs here, ignore if not, but it's in a 5e game. A character was cursed with immortality, and absolutely hates it, but both I and the player think that there should be more drawbacks to the curse to add to the torment. I'm drawing a blank on what additional effects it should have.

>inb4 genderbending
>>
>>49334804
Why am I trying to beat them? I'm the DM.
They take no damage from dragons - the gnome takes no damage on a save (which he will virtually always make), and the bearbarian takes 1/4th, and dragon breath only resets on a die roll. They'll just burrow underground with the minotaur's +2 Shovel of Digging.

>>49334847
They just run away from dorks who try to shoot at them from range, and then dig or stealth to where they need to go. On the ground they're literally forces of nature.

See above for breath weapons and other aoes.

>>49334886
I reduced his speed by 5. He's also uglier than the average cow.
>>
>>49334913
What feature is letting the gnome take 0 damage on a save? Paladins don't have evasion.

+2 Shovel of Digging? Oh, you're trolling.
>>
>>49334911
He has an insatiable lust for I LIKE PINA COLADA!
>>
>>49334927
Shield mastery dude. I already told you >>49334223

It's a magical shovel that offers a burrow speed. Is that unheard of?
>>
>>49334913
>They take no damage from dragons -
Then you don't know how to run a dragon.

Strafe down over them, grapple the gnome with the dragon's superior reach, fly up as high as you can. Drop, repeat. If they run, they're not winning and you are in fact challenging them.
>>
>>49334951
>grapple the gnome
He uses freedom of movement :(
>>
>>49334949
Shield Mastery only works on Dex saves. Not all breaths or aoe spells are Dex saves.

>>49334949
You made a custom item that trivializes your encounters and then you say you can't challenge your players. That's your fault.
>>
>>49334970
Dispelling strike.
>>
>>49334975
A burrow speed trivializes encounters?
So a level two druid is godmode?
>>
>>49334970
Freedom of movement does not prevent grapples. It makes escaping them automatic. The gnome can't escape on the dragon's turn.
>>
>>49334913
>+2 Shovel of Digging
You went from realistically bad pushover DM to obvious troll in 1 round. You could have strung us along longer. 3/10. Points awarded mostly for creativity.
>>
File: image.png (832KB, 1500x1800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
832KB, 1500x1800px
Is it worth having Disguise Self as a sorcerer if you already have Alter Self? Near as I can tell, besides having a lower slot, Disguise Self can mask your clothes, while Alter Self can't. The main issue here is my character, as explicitly stated by the DM, is considered to be very unsettling to the average person, and as such usually travels around with as much covered as possible. However, there are times where such attire isn't feasible, or when I'm subjected to more careful scrutiny, that I would like a way to hide my true appearance. In the event that I would be forced to remove my outer clothing, I would Subtly cast Alter Self before removing my cloak. The issue then being, as Alter Self does not change clothing, I would have to be the same shape and size to fit without arousing suspicion by wearing extremely loose and ill-fitting clothing, but remaining the same size would find the inquisitive person looking at a 7 foot, oddly proportioned human woman (or man in a dress), which really wouldn't look much less odd. I've considered picking an alternate form and then buying clothes that fit it, but that guarantees that I use a spell slot, as opposed to using it only when pressed, and it might create a very awkward situation if I lose concentration while wearing the outfit. Disguise Self might fix a few of these issues, but has a few of its own. Only being able to adjust height by one foot probably won't be too hurtful, but I can think of a few situations where it could be an issue. Mainly I'm afraid something might bump into the "empty" space above me, especially with the hat my character normally wears, and considering that it doesn't have the utility of water breathing or the natural weapons, of which are pretty important to the character concept.

So, am I good with just Alter Self, or should I burn one of my precious few spells known on Disguise Self as well?
>>
>>49334911
Pick five days, a week or a month or something like that, after that chosen time period pass he forgets all of that happened, only remembering anything that happened before that time period started.
>>
>>49334988
No but this guy is trolling us into thinking he can't even find ways to fight a paladin and barbarian combo.
>>
>>49334987
A dragon doesn't have dispelling strike O.o

>>49334989
You're engaging in melee to attempt to grab and drop the gnome, but you can't take him high *at all* before he auto-breaks your grapple. The dragon takes way more in damage from the paladin/barb than he gets dropping the gnome for 4d6 or whatever

>>49334993
What do you think it would be called as a +2 quaterstaff that offers a burrow speed and is basically indistinguishable from a shovel?
Avalon, Bane of Kings?
>>
>>49335065
You're telling me it can live for literal millenia but learn no new tricks?

Fuck it, you're right, they deserve to die.
>>
>>49335065
>You're engaging in melee to attempt to grab and drop the gnome, but you can't take him high *at all* before he auto-breaks your grapple. The dragon takes way more in damage from the paladin/barb than he gets dropping the gnome for 4d6 or whatever

The dragon doesn't have to get into their melee range. It has longer reach than them and a fast flight speed. It can grab the gnome and fly up in one turn without ever provoking from them.
>>
>>49331483
So is the Revised Ranger any good?
>>
File: 1430844179289.png (366KB, 499x750px) Image search: [Google]
1430844179289.png
366KB, 499x750px
>>49334995
Just wear a burka or something and pretend you're an exotic foreigner. It's a loose and shapeless enough ensemble that any wacky changes to your proportions wont even show through. If anyone looks at you funny call them a racist.
>>
>>49335018
He's trying out his thought experiment that he and his neck beard buddy came up with. I would guess that he probably got kicked from the table for being such an obnoxious shit.
>>
>>49335142
Yes
>>
>>49335153
Yeah I can tell because he seems to think that attacking AC and attacking saves are the only things that monsters can do. Meanwhile his combo is easily defeated by a couple of CR 13 adult white dragons.
>>
>>49335108
I'm playing RAW.
This is a RAW only game. With only RAW.

>>49335118
The barb chucks stuff at it, and if the dragon is grappling the gnome then the gnome can attack the dragon.
It can only move at half speed while grappling, and it has to use its action to grapple.
>>
>>49335180
>dropping the gnome is a free action
>What is innate spellcasting and Haste?
>>
>>49335180
>I'm playing RAW
>The barb chucks stuff at it,
That's a good laugh. Really good laugh. Nice bait, at least it's different from the Virt posting.
>>
>>49335216
Barbs can't use javelins by RAW?

>>49335197
The point is it doesn't get to take Sir-Gnome very high before Sir-Gnome takes his turn and auto-escapes. And it takes *a lot* of damage by doing so.
>>
>>49334911
I had a weird idea for this. His body/mind can't grow or actually change from it's original form. So muscle doesn't build and he can't retain anymore information than he was originally with. He ends up in this weird place where everything else is moving ahead of him but he's stuck exactly the same.
>>
>>49335180
>only RAW plus homebrew rules for PC's as mounts with negligible drawbacks that lets them act as if they are one character with all the pro's of both and the con's of neither
got it
>>
>>49335272
His body is already in that state. Jesus fuck though, mind would be like, the worst thing possible
>>
>>49335242
Alright, so the CR 13 adult white dragon has innate spellcasting. It uses haste on itself. It has a flying speed of 160 ft. It can Dash with it's haste action. It can grapple the gnome without provoking opportunity attacks because of its reach. Half of 320 ft. is still too far to throw a javelin at and deals a lot of falling damage. Dropping the gnome is a free action.

You might run but you're not winning that unless the dragon is just an idiot.
>>
>>49335282
It's not homebrew. You can ride another player by RAW - the only real requirement is size category.
It has exactly the same effects as are listed under mounted combat ^_^
>>
>>49331483
Never tell a red dragon, "I've seen bigger lizards than you."

It did not end well.
>>
>>49335307
>so the CR 13 adult white dragon has innate spellcasting
Dragons don't have innate spellcasting.
Have you read the Monster Manual bruh?
>>
>>49335326
Yeah, page 86 in the green box.

Also a Huge creature doesn't have to slow down at all to grapple a gnome.
>>
>>49335304
I thought of it as the worst possible curse for wizards. Since they're supposed to study and constantly gain new information but it just never sticks.
This also shoves in the biggest bitch when it comes to immortality and that's just living forever. Get stuck as the same person, never to improve, as you watch the entire world go around.
What was the immortality curse? Like, what caused it or how did he contract it?
>>
>>49335350
>Variant
Not today.

>Also a Huge creature doesn't have to slow down at all to grapple a gnome
They use that SKT shit to get large-huge though.
>>
>>49331930
> How many 5e campaigns have you played in?
Played: 4
Run: 6

> How long did they go?
The longest as a player ran six months, to level 20 (the DM used Milestones, so we leveled fairly quickly). The majority were 1-8ish.

My longest run as a DM was 7-20. We switched from PF halfways through Rise of the Runelords and finished up with the last half of NEXT into 5e. Was a lot of fun. It's over now, and it makes me sad, but almost everyone survived. Almost.

> How many characters did you go through?
I usually stuck with one. As a player, I'm a fairly careful sort, so I'm usually alive. I did have one of my characters die to a mind flayer, though. The critter critted on the Brain-suck attack, after I couldn't shake the stun to save my character's life. 125 damage.

I retired one character because, on a whim, I decided to seduce a bevy of tiefling sisters and open a pub and brothel. Ended up bringing in another rogue, who I stayed with the rest of the game.
>>
>>49335420
See now your bait is too obvious. You're not the DM, you're some sperg trying to "win" D&D.
>>
DDAL5-01 is now in the Mega under Adventurers League -> Season 5.
>>
>>49335363
Broke a longstanding taboo in his culture by killing a family member. I mean, he's exiled from his cultural homeland, but that place is mostly dead anyway by now.
>>
>>49335420
Dude just stop trolling god damn. You keep getting refuted then moving the goal posts. If you and your faggot friends want to make your gay ass combo unbeatable in your game, do it. But stop acting like you broke the game because you pick and mix all the things that work for it then reject everything that would work against it. You are the person that ruins tabletop.

I would forcibly eject you from the table.
>>
>>49335449
But I am the DM. I don't know what you want from me.

>>49335474
What are you talking about? Why are you playing DM-vs-player? Are you one of those toxic people?
>>
Are there any potential uses for my party being the sole recipients of the knowledge of the location of a portal to the abyssal plane? We are lower levelled, so entering it isn't an option, but we ran across it in an adventure and closed the door with a locking mechanism that we know how to easily open.

Lucky the only things that made it through were Lemures and Bearded Devils.
>>
>>49335495
Tell high level paladins and good clerics. They'll make good use of that info.
>>
>>49335308
Except that most people don't have the carrying capacity to carry another person without becoming encumbered
>>
>>49335469
Then have him haunted by his family members. I'd say something along the lines of constantly attacking him in his sleep. If you didn't write out his need to sleep, then he could just slowly go cripplingly insane due to a lack of sleep.
An immortal, really cranky guy just wandering the lands forever.
>>
>>49335449
And even more pathetically, his persistent answer that the gnome-minotaur duo can just run away from everything they can't beat.
They run away from ranged attacks... they burrow away from anything tough...
I think the thought experiment was just to come up with survivable pussy characters
>>
>>49335489
So as a DM, you allow feats and (custom) magic items, which are variant rules, but you won't use a variant in the Monster Manual if it helps you challenge your players?

I can even imagine how the players beat the dragon RAW, but I successfully found a way to get past the main tactic of a paladin and barbarian duo who are "just about to get destructive way" with a CR 13 creature.
>>
>>49335512

Our group is mostly profiteers, with one of us Chaotic Neutral, the other Lawful Evil, and I believe our third is Neutral.

I suppose we could offer to sell the information or something similar.
>>
>>49335523
A barbarian carrying a gnome is pretty ez.

>>49335542
Oh no, those are all from the books. The Shovel is from SKT - I just made it +2 because the DMG tells me I can.
>just about to get destructive way
You mean destructive wave? >>49334644
>>
>>49335584
>Oh no, those are all from the books.
So is the variant innate spellcasting dragon.

Say, dragons are known for having really large hoards which include magic items. What's to stop a dragon from having a potion of speed?
>>
>>49331483
I have decided to implement a home base into my homebrew campaign. There are four main continents with different hooks. My players have chosen the under dark themed plot hook and I already have decided how I want their base to work. With that being said, I was hoping for some advice on how you guys handle home bases and what you implemented into yours.
>>
>>49335609
Dragon's can't drink potions. They would explode because of their fire/acid/lightning/cold and lose their effects.
They also have trouble eating food because of this. This is why dragon's are always so salty.
>>
>>49335526
Maybe. I think he's technically undead. Like a ghost possessing an unchanging meat-shell. I jeed to doublecheck my notes. I suppose his haunty family members can beat on his spirit, though
>>
>>49334734
>>49334681

He's obviously playing a high level end game fused SMT demon.
>>
>>49335675
Could also play into a BBEG in later campaigns. An immortal whose just completely lost it. Might even willingly let himself be attacked but is guarded but strong ghosts that want him to continue suffering.
Now I'm just railroading. Good luck screwing with your player. As a fellow curse driven DM, I wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>49335770
Bahaha. That sounds fun. I'm gonna think on it til next session. Thanks, mate.
>>
I am hopeful for the release of Volo's Guide to Monsters, as many of my favorite monsters are currently missing from 5e, and I've had to homebrew most of it in my campaign.
>>
>>49333918

We'll get the completed class in a UA sometime before that.

Hopefully next month, they said we should expect it before the end of the year.
>>
>>49335972
Next month is likely to be a revamped encounter creation system.
>>
>>49335987

Maybe November then??

I've been waiting for so long.
>>
What good poisons/diseases exist in 5E? Me and another player are trying to assassinate someone, and we need something that can damage someone's CON score.
>>
>>49334681
>feat
>fire avoidance
>you gain fear of fire, as pet the Yeti's skill
>>
>>49336200
Being an assassin is a good poison. Make sure to mix it with a bit of 'stab in the back of the neck'.
>>
>>49336200
CON damage doesn't exist, anon. The poisons that have mechanics are in the DMG, however, and some of them are nice, if you've got the coin.
>>
Ok, Sorcerer Origin Pyromancer back with more igniting and less OP, hopefully.

Level 1: Scoring a critical hit against an enemy, or when an enemy fails their saving throw with a roll equal to or lesser than your proficiency modifier with fire damage as the result causes them to gain the Ignited Condition.

The Sorcerer gains resistance to Fire Damage.

(Condition: Ignited; At the beginning of the creature's turn they take d6 fire damage. Hey may use an action to douse the flames, or a creature within 5 feet of the creature may use their action to douse the flames.)

Level 6: The sorcerer can now cause the Ignited condition when they deal fire damage to an enemy. Spend one sorcery point to cause an enemy injured by fire damage to be ignited.

Level 14: When enemies are Ignited, you may spend 4 Sorcery Points per enemy, and cause the flames to explode. Each enemy becomes a focal point for a fireball spell.

Level 18: The Ignited condition deals max damage instead of d6.

I need to play test the damage, but the framework is sound I think.
>>
>>49336295
>level 14
When can you spend 4 sorcerery points?
Is the 'ignited' condition lost?
Can that fireball spell then re-ignite people?

Four sorcery points doesn't sound too bad for a fireball, although there's a little concern if you can do it as a free action.

Also, there's a weird synergy with, say, a champion who crits on a 18-20 and has advantage. They'll crit all the time, and start setting people on fire. If you require fire damage from the attack, they can get a fire weapon.

That would be fine, if they didn't also get free fire resistance and spells such as shield for a 1 level dip.
>>
>>49334647
Pretty solid. Beast master got a lot stronger and generally more enticing. Hunter seemed mostly unchanged. I didn't read the third archetype desu.

Most importantly though, the base class has some solid features that provides more than just flavor.
>>
>>49335942
An thoughts on if the Hobbystore exclusive of Volo's guide will be worth the hassle/added cost?
>>
File: 1264969195892.jpg (31KB, 526x300px) Image search: [Google]
1264969195892.jpg
31KB, 526x300px
how do you deal with a Devil's Sight + Darkness spell Warlock combo?
>>
>>49336422
The fireball bombs would be a full action, and yes continue to be ignited after, basically I'm trying to make it if you want to burn all your sorcery points you could set an entire army on fire if you have enough points. I mean it's d6 fire damage but 12 of those people on fire would be a delayed blast fireball.

And I notice your concern with the critting with a fire weapon but Flame Tongue and Elemental weapon aren't necessarily easy to get. d6 per turn isn't a big deal really, 1 fire damage won't turn a fight around and 6 would be lucky. And 18 to crit is a level 15 fighter, d6 fire damage at level 15 is nothing. Advantage I can understand is strong, but that's cause you have a special effect or you are using team work.
>>
>>49336518
AoEs at the darkness that's shooting bolts of energy at you.
>>
>>49336518
True Sight enemies. Or blind sight enemies. Or a daylight spell. Or a drift globe.
>>
>>49336518
Cover
>>
>>49333341
You're a railroading piece of shit then. If your players don't want to worry about dumb minutia, don't make them. Go play OSR, if you want to schedule every watch shift, calculate every pound in every backpack, dumb shit like that. D&D is for high adventure.

And who the fuck kills off a PALADIN with a SNAKEBITE? Didn't think it was worth telling him he was immune?
>>
Does anyone know a good place to get old adventures in digital form (for free)?

I want to thumb through some old adventures for inspiration.

On a related note, which of the 4e adventures were the best? They're readily available so any good ones people know about would be appreciated.
>>
>>49336518
Throw fireballs at the darkness to break concentration.
Dispel Magic.
Enemies with true sight.
Enemies straight up running away to take up position away from the darkness
>>
>>49336688
>Players getting killed because something happens upon them in the night when they actively refuse to set a guard and then try to punch it instead of get help
>Railroading
No, just players being complete fools. High adventure doesn't mean you do whatever the fuck you want whenever the fuck you want.
>I'm a big damn hero, of course nothing's dumb enough to mess with me while I sleep nude in the woods!
Also
>Paladin immune to poison
Are you perhaps thinking of the level 10 *monk* feature, or their ability to use Lay on Hands to remove poison?
>>
>>49336688

Butthurt Paladin player detected.
>>
>>49336695
>Does anyone know a good place to get old adventures in digital form (for free)?

If you look up the names of old adventures and type them into Google and end it with "pdf" you can find most, if not all, of them for free.
I actually got ALL of the 1e and 2e FR books by doing that one by one, it takes you to something called dnd.remz.us that has pretty much EVERYTHINH for old D&D on there.
>>
>>49336695
https://dnd.rem.uz
>>
>>49336688
Paladins aren't immune to poison.
From 3rd level onwards they're immune to DISEASE.

Of course, they can use Lay on Hands to cure the poison. But maybe the poison was a debilitating kind that paralyzed so he couldnt use Lay on Hands. Or maybe the player forgot it could do that. It's not the DMs job to tell players how their characters work.
>>
File: qt bird.jpg (162KB, 1038x1155px) Image search: [Google]
qt bird.jpg
162KB, 1038x1155px
>>49336760
>>49336773
Nice, thanks family

Heres a picture of a cute bird
>>
>>49336790

Bird needs stats. CR 12 monstrosity.
>>
File: KfucOsR.png (783KB, 802x523px) Image search: [Google]
KfucOsR.png
783KB, 802x523px
>>49336688
>Players gets bitten by a poisonous snake
>Don't alert anyone
>Don't attempt to cure the poison using tools available to them
>Just punch the snake until they succumb to poison
>WOW RAILROADED
>>
Can I get some opinions on some warlock houserules? I'm trying to buff the class without making it completely overpowered.

1. You gain either Eldritch blast or Eldritch Strike (a melee version of the blast, single attack with scaling damage rather than multiple attacks) as a bonus cantrip at level 1.
2. You gain Hex as a bonus spell known at level 1. You can use it once per short rest as a 1st-level spell without expending a slot.
3. Your patron spells are automatically added to your spells known, like domain or land spells.
4. Pact of the Blade automatically gets a second attack at level 5. Thirsting Blade grants a third attack, but requires level 14.
5. Pact of the Blade allows you to use your pact weapon as an arcane implement.
6. Pact of the Blade Warlocks gain access to 2 new invocations: The first grants you +2 to your AC if you're wielding your pact weapon in one hand and nothing (or an implement) in the other, and requires level 5. The second is War Magic, as the EK feature, and requires level 7.
>>
File: Dwarf druid.jpg (127KB, 706x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf druid.jpg
127KB, 706x1000px
What's your current favorite homebrew class or race that you've been wanting/have been trying out?

For me, Deathbloom Druid was pretty sweet in a Darksun-like campaign; lots of plant life to spread.
>>
>>49336862
I made an Engineer class for a campaign I'm running. Basically a battle-artificer with spells like a Warlock, except they're more focused on buffing themselves and smashing faces.
>>
File: 442.jpg (227KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
442.jpg
227KB, 680x1020px
>>49336862
I'm my group's forever DM, and I've made a shitton of homebrew races, 4 of which are on DM's Guild and have earned me $102.13 since it came out. I've also tried my hand at a few archetypes, but none have panned out. Hoping the archery monk path I'm brainstorming will.
I've got a big red folder full of character sheets between halfway and fully filled out, more that I've thought about but never written down, and I've damn near memorized a lot of the PHB, and can flip to anything I need almost immediately.
>>
>>49336539
Quite possible to get a magical weapon with fire damage enchantments. Heck, maybe you could even go 'fire on sword'.

At later levels, you could well have constant advantage from something such as foresight.

The synergy is nice, but the main concern is that you also get fire resistance bundled with it.

The other sorcererous origins don't give such nice 1-level-dip options. One gives free mage armour (Good, but not incredibly so, especially later on if people get +1 light armour), +1 HP and better charisma rolls against dragons, and draconic.
Wild magic mostly just gives you tide of chaos which is nice, but not too powerful unless you regain use of the feature a lot.

Fire resistance + potentally applying an effect as a free action that takes an action to remove is much stronger multi-class wise than any of the other origins.
I wouldn't call it definitely overpowered, but something to be wary of.

I think another thing to be concerned about is there's a bit much 'new ways to spend sorcery points'. I'm not sure how much of an impact it will be, but it's something to be careful about. At least ki regenerates after a short rest - sorcery points do not.
>>
>>49336849
>scaling damage rather than multiple attacks
That's generally worse.
It doesn't work well with hex, and it means you can't hit multiple targets.
Not to mention, it's melee. There'd have to be a good buffto eldritch strike to make it viable, without making it an overpowered option for multiclassers.
2. That's kind of a big buff, on the level of having practically another spell slot every short rest. Probably good if the party doesn't get a lot of short rests. This would probably be better as an invocation.
3. This would be pretty nice if it didn't cause the weird situation of a warlock having 25 spells known yet only 4 spell slots. It just feels.. Wrong, to have so many spells yet so few spell slots. If warlocks want those patron spells, they have plenty enough room for it at later levels. Probably.
4. Free second attack is fine. A third attack at level 14 AS WELL AS thirsting blade sounds incredibly dangerous.
5. That's probably a good one.
6. Practically 'you gain proficiency with shields', except you can still grapple and stuff with that free hand. Probably okay. Giving war magic kind of ruins the concept of EK-Warlock multiclassing, which is kind of viable probably. Probably okay, though. Main concern is it keeps with the 'pact of the blade only offers combat bonuses, absolutely no utility' while the other two pacts are almost entirely utility-based. The pact itself just doesn't feel like it fits.
>>
File: 1473622104036.jpg (20KB, 490x488px) Image search: [Google]
1473622104036.jpg
20KB, 490x488px
>playing Storm Giants Thunder
>Have Wizard in the party
>tried to jump across a bridge gap because no magic to help him fly prepared
>failed because shit strength
>died by drowning
>cleric had to revive him
>ran out of spells during combat
>died again
>cleric revived him again

Seriously considering ditching the character and stealing his shit. My fighter could sell his spellbook for gold
>>
>>49337110
The way I have Eldritch Strike written right now is based on what it was in 4e: 1d10 force damage (adding an additional d10 at levels 5, 11, and 17) and if the target is large or smaller you can move them 5' in any direction, as long as you don't move them into dangerous terrain. It was intended to be used with the War Magic invocation. Another version I've had kicking around is the cantrip adding 1d10 force damage to your melee attacks for one round as a bonus action, which would be great for bladelocks but would make Warlock1/Fighter19 crazy as hell.

A clarification on number 4: Right now, Thirsting Blade only grants a second attack at level 5 - the Warlock is the only 'gish' class that has to spend a limited resource on a second attack. The change would make the second attack automatic and grant a THIRD attack if you spend an invocation.
>>
>>49337180
Booming blade and green flame blade work well because they can't be used with multi-attack. They don't really trigger hex a load of times, though.
You could design something like a 3rd meleecantrip like that, with 'push enemy' as one of the features of it. Probably as a trade-off for damage, though, since GFB/BB would probably do more damage.
>>
>>49337025
I see what you mean about the dip in multi class, I'm not against that, and I know it's not that uncommon but then again it really is just d6 per turn which stacks up over turns but 3 1s is a thing.

I can see the reasoning with resistance, it is a lot, but honestly I feel like it needs to be there or the sorcerer may kill himself, and I feel like it goes with it. I was thinking already acclimated to really hot environments, but I don't know.
>>
>>49337164
seems like the DM hates him
you normally don't need to roll to jump or tread water
>>
I want to run a no magic campaign where wizards are legends of the past and monsters are the only creatures able to use spells.

I want everything to feel deadlier, I want everything the be more squishy and weaker in general. I'd also like for gold to be scarcer, for people to be poorer.

Here's what I was thinking, changes would apply to players and monsters.

> Hit dices get reduced by 1 (so d12=d10, d10=d8 ...)
> Con bonus to hp is halved rounded down
> Bonus damage is divided by 2 rounded down
> Proficiency is not added to the attack modifier
> Saving Throws all start at -4
> Random gold is divided by 10
> Buy prices are x2
>Sell prices are one fourth of the book's base prices

Any thoughts ?
>>
File: mOnvOJG.png (298KB, 2271x2380px) Image search: [Google]
mOnvOJG.png
298KB, 2271x2380px
>Trying to come up with my own campaign setting
>Ok lets make a map of the area
>....

This is hard.
>>
>>49337275
This sounds like everything is going to take longer, the less gold and more expensive products. It's not making it deadlier it's just less cost efficient to be an adventurer than one would realize.

And ok to the PCs having downsides but do the monsters get it too? If the monsters lose it then yeah everything will be deadlier including the PCs. If it's just the PCs though then it just feels like it's meant to lose.
>>
>>49337231
Most sorcererous origins give resistance at level 6 or so. If you find one level in sorcerer for fire resistance and all the other benefits are too much, you can move fire resistance to 6 and give the level 1 some small additional benefit.

>>49337275
Smiting isn't a spell, is it?
I guess that means you can use a paladin and try to negate the massive save throw difference.

-4 is a lot. A damned lot.
Not to mention, -(2 to 6) on attacks will mean people will be better if they try to use savethrow based attacks on enemies.

DnD will probably be a lot more boring if you have no casters. Not to mention, even some martials get magical abilities - You'd have to replace said magical abilities with something else.

You're nerfing heavy armour even more. Nobody will ever be able to afford the 3000gp plate when they get barely any gold, and heavy armour already sucks in comparison to other armours.

With no casters, people won't feel compelled to put points in any skills other than (strength or dexterity) and con.

The concept itself is kind of awkward, I'm thinking. 'Oh, you can't cast magic, but everybody else can'. If you want to do that, play Call of Cthulu or something. It sounds more up your alley.

DnD can work for low-magic, but DnD really isn't suited for no-magic.
>>
>>49337322
Try using a generator. Donjon has a cool map maker.
It also names places and puts little towns and cities.
>>
>>49337275
Why can monsters cast spells but people can't?
Are there great cities and places of learning in your setting? If so, why haven't they studied monster spellcasting to figure out what the hell magic is and maybe how it works at a basic level? What about studying magic items?

Is it just Arcane magic that is gone? Or have all the Gods fucked off and Divine magic no longer works either?

In regards to money:

If gold is so rare, why would prices double? In times of hardship, prices DROP. They don't increase.
Shopkeepers aren't going to make any money if they're charging twice the price and their customers have 1/10th of the gold.
How is a Blacksmith ever going to sell a set of Half-Plate when it costs 1500gold and nobody has any gold to begin with?

If gold is so rare, it would be very valuable, and people would trade in more plentiful things instead. Maybe copper and silver are used much more often. Or are they rare as well? Why are common metals rare in your world?

If these metals are so rare, why would they be used as currency at all? Coins made of something like iron would be more likely, with the rarer Silver maybe taking the place of Gold, and Gold becoming the Platinum equivalent. In that case, is there really any difference other than the names?

Simply the act of saying 'gold is really really rare' fundamentally changes a LOT of things that you have to think about.
>>
I just realized the new beastmaster dosen't specify ranger levels nor ranger ASIs for the pet scaling, and the coordinated attack feature dosen't state it's incompatible with extra attack

this is making me think that mixing Ranger Revisited 5 and Fighter/Barbarian/Monk 15 might be pretty strong
>>
I seriously hope this UA is the last ranger rework we're going to get. A cleaned-up version for official release sure, but we already have...
>Spell-less ranger
>Variant Ranger
>Reworked Ranger

If they try more we're going to need more names. What's next? Improved Ranger? Remastered Ranger?
>>
Is it too much to put all these concepts in a single character?
>Theurge
>Wizard
>Scholar
>Detective
>Half-elf
>Alchemist
>>
>>49337862
>fine, class, fine, you've got 3 backrounds, thats a race, just stop my god
>>
>>49337862
Probably not.

At most, have two professions. One minor, one major.
Have some reason each thing ties in. Say, alchemy is largely for tests for detective work or scholar is focusing on religious work.

Tie it all in.
Don't make it a big random assortment of 'oh, this is cool, I'm going to be EVERYTHING'
>>
File: wtf.png (323KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
323KB, 640x320px
>>49333424
>>
>>49337862
Wizard and Half-elf are irrelevant, that's your class and your race. Ignore those things.

So:
Theurge. Scholar. Detective. Alchemist.
Drop something. Don't try and be everything at once.

You could be a Scholarly Half-Elf Wizard who seeks to explore and learn about all magics regardless of source. Being into alchemy would work with that as well. Maybe you're scorned by your peers for your dabblings into divine and chemical magics, rather than focusing on a single school of the Arcane like most others.

Or you could be a Half Elf Wizard who works as a detective. You specialise in spells that reveal hidden truths, and alchemy for evidence testing. But because of your busy work schedule you don't have time to sit down and study theology, and magic is just one of your tools you use in your investigations. So describing yourself as a theurge wouldn't work. Theres only so much time in the day.
>>
>>49337862
A smarty pants half-elf wizard who dabbles in divine magic. Also he does alchemy. Take Religion, Insight, Perception and Investigation, also alchemist's supplies.

ez pz
>>
>>49333148
In UA well be getting up to level 20 before this year finishes. Hopefully with the other two orders.
>>
What do you use to sort out monster stats for when you're at the table? Note cards? Phone app? Just reading them out of the Monster Manual?

I'm asking because I'm trying to juggle monsters and it's currently difficult work.
>>
>>49337890
>>49337913
>>49337958

I think I'm dropping theurge. Theurgy alone is already a pretty complex concept. I thought about it more for the mechanics presented in the Unearthed Arcana article.

The Knowledge domain 1st level feature would make him very reliable in knowledge checks. The Visions of the Past and Channel Divinity: Read thoughts features would also be huge for a detective.

But thematically, I see the problem.
>>
Anons? I've been playing Zombie Army Trilogy recently on Steam, and I was wondering; would a region loosely inspired by that game's storyline fit into a fantasy world, or not?

To summarize, basically, as one country is in the final days of losing a bloody war against triumphant invaders, the deranged leader authorizes "Plan Z": using black magic to open rifts to hell that animate the country's slain defenders as demonically-charged, dim-witted yet malicious flesh-eating zombies. Only it turns out that, whoopsie, somebody in high command fucked up and left the magical macguffin to control the zombies disassembled, so the undead horde promptly goes on the rampage against all living things, until the dictator who started it all gets killed, rises from the dead, and makes plans to lead them into slaughtering all the world.

Cue the invaders desperately rallying and trying to hold back the unliving hordes until a bunch of crazy murder-masters manage to sabotage the remaining supply lines that the zombies are using to equip themselves, kill the undead dictator and close the hellmouth... only this just stops the dead from endlessly rising and still lives millions of now-directionless, still sadistic and murderous zombies milling about the burnt out waste of what was originally a country.

Cue the other nations, burnt out and weary from the war, saying "fuck this shit" and cordoning off the country-sized charnel pit and just leaving them and any survivors in there to rot.

Would this work as a bit of world-building fluff, or is it too tied up into a more "urban fantasy" type setting to work in an Eberron or Faerun-esque high fantasy setting?
>>
>>49334003
Anyone?
>>
>>49334003
I don't think that's RAW or RAI. I don't think anyone can really ride an ape either.
>>
The fight has been raging on for longer than you expected, your spell slots are empty.

What are the best/your favorite combat cantrips?
>>
>>49338331
No idea how mounts work with Sentinel.
And yeah, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to ride on a great ape's shoulders as a halfling, though I'm thinking that would he uncomfortable as hell honestly.

That said, a halfling unloading on people with a crossbow from the back of an angry silverback bludgeoning the shit out of stuff with it's fists tickles my sides in amusement.
>>
>>49338331
>How do mount work with Sentinel?
Your mount counts as a separate creature and enemies who attack your mount would provoke OA if they are within your reach.
>Can I order my mount to walk pass enemy to trigger enemy's OA, which will trigger my sentinel feat?
Sentinel would not trigger if they attack you for leaving their reach. If they decided to attack your mount, however, you could use the Sentinel feature to attack them immediately.

>Also can my Halfling use Ape as a mount? I don't think there is a rule on using non quadreped mount.
Animal Handling would be your best bet. However, an Ape would likely qualify as an intelligent mount and may act on it's own volition.
>>
>>49333424
O hello there, red haired sword Jesus
>>
>>49338294
It's a bit retarded and much more than "loosely" inspired, but should work anyway.
>>
>>49338643
>>
can someone post the homebrew shaman sheet pretty please?
>>
>>49338405
Fist.
>>
>>49335630
>variant innate spellcasting
>>
SKT chapter 4 Stone block trap, takes 6 seconds to drop, roll initiative for the block? Someone tweet Perkins
>>
>>49339266
Holy fucking shit, how much self-loathing can one thread hold?
>>
>>49336518
Counter spell or fireball
>>
>>49337243
Athletics if he wanted to jump further than his max and either Athletics or Con if the river was retardedly wide or rough
>>
>>49338526
Pretty sure there is a sage advice that said, the rider doesn't provoke OA when the mount leave the enemy area (since it count as forced movement by another)
>>
>>49337812
Warlock doesn't specify warlock levels on invocation requirements either, but the ruling on those was a class feature that refers to levels refers to levels within that class.
>>
>>49337322
Start with what you're good at. Keep going jumping from the easiest to second easiest thing, to third, etc. etc. until there's nothing left to do but what's hard. Extrapolate those from what you've done.
>>
>>49337451
donjon +1
>>
>>49338405
Best is a silly question imo.

Are you a warlock?

Yes? Eldritch Blast.

No? Firebolt.

All the other cantrips (Ray of Frost, Shocking Grasp, Green Flame Blade, etc.) are only useful if you already fucked up (Becoming target priority, letting them reach you, rolling an Eldritch Knight, etc.). If you've used up all your slots and Sacred Flame is still better than Firebolt, you're probably fucked using Sacred Flame anyway.

Among cantrips, only damage can reliably and consistently end a fight you've burned your other slots in. Don't pay in damage potential to offset your fuckups.

So I guess the best cantrips is really Ask the Fighter Nicely to Continue Using Fist.

Favorite's definitely Guidance for RP potential. It's pretty fucking terrible, though, in a long-raging combat.
>>
>>49338405
>>49340309
If you're a warlock, the best cantrip is silent image
>>
>>49340361
In a fight you've dumped your spells for already? I mean, I'll believe it, but I'm gonna need more than that.
>>
>>49340309
Are you retarded?

firebolt is shit because theres a lot of creautures with fire resist. Chill Touch is THE best cantrip a wizard has at his disposal and using anything but it is retarded.
>>
>>49340309
>not rolling the as the best Fighter archetype
>>
>>49340496
Ray of frost is a good CC cantrip if you're a control wizard
>>
>>49338405
Minor illusion is the best combat cantrip
>>
>>49340496
Whooo, better start name-calling.

/Many/ creatures have fire resist. /All/ creatures are dependent on HP. The kind of things immune to fire are also, generally, the kind of things you'd prioritize in combat, meaning your slots went to disposing of those already. When you're down to cantrips, unless maybe you're a warlock, odds are you're just on cleanup duty.

>using anything but it is retarded
Necrotic resistance.
>>
>>49340547
once again, if you're not using minor illusion in combat you are doing it wrong. Let the fighter fight, a wizard should be enabling them to do that
>>
>>49340576
Once again, you're stalling when you should be closing.
>>
>>49340576
>Implying wizards are supposed to not fight

What edition do you think you're posting about?
>>
>>49340618
once again? ive only posted once
>>
File: Thwomp.png (793KB, 1280x1369px) Image search: [Google]
Thwomp.png
793KB, 1280x1369px
I vaguely remember reading about a class skill/feat that gives the character a tattoo that can summon a shield that's in whatever shape the character wants, as a bonus action. Can someone help me out and post the full skill or send me to the right book?
>>
>>49340547
So a d10 fire vs a d8 necrotic that also disables healing and gives undead disadvantage on attack rolls vs you

hmm i wonder which is better! i know, that potential 2 more damage means so much i better use it!

my point on resistance is that most of the things that have necrotic resistance are either something you probably arent ever going to fight or something youll actually be using spell slots on. too many creatues have fire resist to justify that pitiful damage increase
>>
>>49340576
What practical combat uses does minor illusion have? I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>49336518
Devils and most of the more powerful creatures have devil's sight, true sight, or some other manner of ignoring magical darkness. Heck, spiders aren't even powerful and they have web sense. Throw some of these enemies into the mix to stir things up for the warlock, but don't overuse them. Everyone should have a cool thing they get to do.
>>
>>49333424
>No feat that allows you to differentiate salt from sugar flawlessly
Would be 10/10 if you added that, but I'll have to rate it 9/10 for now.
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.