[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you guys played Pendragon? What stuff do I buy if I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Any of you guys played Pendragon? What stuff do I buy if I want to GM a campaign for my friends?
>>
File: 109.gif (133KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
109.gif
133KB, 300x100px
boomp
>>
I believe /tg/ isn't the place to ask. We love Pendragon. We have never played it.

>>49268347
>buy
>>
>>49269198
I played it. 25 years ago. So I don't feel qualified to answer here.

While we liked it, the campaign back then never went anywhere and was dropped for the next new shiny.
>>
>>49269198
hm, i could just have my laptop with the pdfs open on it during the sessions
>>
>>49268347
Bumping for PDF of it
>>
I have played it, and i enjoyed it very much - unfortunately few of my gaming group are of the same inclination, but it's very good for what it does (except battle rules. I don't think i understand them still.)

What you'll absolutely need is King Arthur Pendragon Edition 5.1, the rulebook. The GM will need The Great Pendragon Campaign, which has a miniquest for i think every year (the year being divided into summer, where you adventure, and autumn/winter, where you manage your lands).
I'd recommend the Book of Knights and Ladies if you want more during chargen (especially fluff), and Book of the Manor is essential if you want to expand anything on the winter phase.
I also, especially if doing anything substantial with the winter phase, recommend using an excel character sheet - it's really handy for automated calculations.

I have several PDFs; the abovementioned + Saxons, Book of Armies, Book of the Entourage and Beyond the Wall, but they're all too large to upload. I am not familiar with any good hosting sites either.
>>
>>49272362
Unless 1-2 of the other players have laptops at the table it's much more convenient to have a physical book to pass around. Maybe Pendragon doesn't require looking up rules and such but for most games I'd say that's the way to go.
>>
>>49272362
>>49272954
I'd strongly advise either buying at least the chief book, and Book of the Manor if your group enjoys basebuilding or more strategic elements.
I have no idea how the included sheets are with the book, but as mentioned, use an Excel sheet if your players are going to bring laptops. It's much less of a hassle to manage things.

Combat is pretty easy to manage; my group juggles between different campaigns though (in different settings and systems) and only needed to glance at the combat rules to again remember exactly how it went.
As mentioned, battle rules are harder, or perhaps me and my group just haven't figured it out entirely.
>>
I recommend the Great Pendragon Campaign - it's the default way to play pendragon, and even if you don't want to follow it full of adventure seeds that get you in the right mindset for an arthurian game.

Book of Battles is a good buy as well, knights tend to end up in a lot of battles and this supplement gives them a lot more depth.

I'm not personally a fan of Book of the Manor - in particular I don't like how it distorts the experience system by giving checks for building manor upgrades. If you use it it effectively requires every player knight to be a landholder, which limits character concepts some.

Speaking of which you'll probably want book of knights and ladies too, the core only covers the basic cymric knight from salisbury. Get a few aquitanians and irishmen in your game.
>>
>>49273341
Actually I've been talking with a friend, we're gonna use it to play a Bretonnia campaign.
>>
File: a feast for crows.jpg (720KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
a feast for crows.jpg
720KB, 1920x1080px
>>49268347
I ran it using the Beowulf/Vikings supplement, and my players and I had a blast mucking about in the Dark Ages. They slew Grendel and his Mother, got framed for a King's murder, fled to Britain, seized control of a Saxon warband and then married their way into ruling a small Cymri town. Then one of them went mad in the midst of battle and ran off to live in a grove with Odin.

I found the inspiration system a little confusing, I think if I had had more time with it I would have come to understand the whole thing better. Something I liked was the whole virtue/vice thing, and the fact that composing a great poem for your lady love was worth almost as much as killing a monster.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.