[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FFG and Games Workshop go their separate ways. >Games Wo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 39

File: FIGHT.png (119KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
FIGHT.png
119KB, 500x392px
FFG and Games Workshop go their separate ways.

>Games Workshop has been a fantastic partner for the past eight years, and we’re thrilled that we had the opportunity to work together and bring so many new and exciting games into the world. As much as we have enjoyed creating these games, our current licensing term is coming to an end.
>Beginning February 28th, 2017, Fantasy Flight Games will no longer offer for sale any games in conjunction with Games Workshop, including Talisman and all games taking place in the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 universes.
>https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

Games Cancelled:
• Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
• All Fantasy Flight Supply products showing imagery licensed to Games Workshop
>>
File: 164972834.jpg (43KB, 654x534px) Image search: [Google]
164972834.jpg
43KB, 654x534px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkYQqbrjSc
>>
Fuck GW, they probably think they can do a better job by themselves with their sorry excuse of games. The only ones that did the IP some degree of justice won't handle it anymore.
>>
>>49257276
>Dark Heresy
>Rogue Trader
>Only War
>gone
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
>>
>>49257276
That probably explains why drivethru rpg doesnt have the PDFs in store anymore.

Where am i going to get the books now?!
>>
File: 4974541845184.png (249KB, 428x660px) Image search: [Google]
4974541845184.png
249KB, 428x660px
>I just finished my Death Watch Veteran Squad models
>They were based off of a Death Watch kill team me and my buddies made when playing the RPG
>This is what I get for buying GW models again
>>
Good.
FFG is shitty company that makes gimmicky games with too many tokens.
>>
>>49257276
And nothing of a value is lost.
>>
>>49257276
Damn they really canned everything. Even Talisman! What the hell. Lucky for FFG that they have Star Wars to fall back on.
>>
>>49257276
I guess we'll never see that decent, well-balanced Battlefleet Gothic game with passably prepainted models.
>>
>>49257330
While this has killed any desire I had to start up the thread again, I'll keep the 40kRPG MEGA going for as long as I can.

https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

If something breaks, my 1d4chan username is ZeroSumGame, bitch about it on the talk page until I listen.
>>
File: DontBeAfraid.jpg (62KB, 510x340px) Image search: [Google]
DontBeAfraid.jpg
62KB, 510x340px
>>49257363
>these durn games with all their tokens are intimidating me!
>>
Ah, licensing agreements.

Fun stuff.
>>
>>49257295
>Do the IP justice

>Killed WFRP years before GW killed the setting
>>
File: 5164645165451541.png (94KB, 2000x2659px) Image search: [Google]
5164645165451541.png
94KB, 2000x2659px
>>49257412

>In the face of despair their is always a sign for victory
>>
>>49257437

Eh, I'm not really a fan of FFG's RPG with special dice.

Mostly because I loath dice pools.
>>
Although the "theme" of those games have taken back by GW.
While the "rule" of games still consider a part of FFG's property r8?
Maybe they will retheme some of these game with Star Wars...
>>
File: 2164894548445.jpg (59KB, 620x467px) Image search: [Google]
2164894548445.jpg
59KB, 620x467px
>>49257471

Republic Commando Death Watch?

Only War Storm Troopers+Clone Troopers?
>>
I'm probably the only person who wanted it, but I'm sad we never got a Age of Sigmar RPG
It could have fleshed out the setting in a way it sorely needs, plus the idea of massive elemental realms that are beibg slowly corrupted by chaos opens the door for cool campaign ideas
>>
>>49257495
>>49257471
Proper d100 Star Wars RPGs that don't require special dice?

Yes, please.
>>
>>49257325
Its not like they're going too break down your door and burn your books. You can keep playing the games.
>>
>>49257509

Because Warhammer needs even more shit posters this time about whats the better RPG systems
>>
>>49257519
Yeeeah but the setting won't evolve in any cohesive way from now on. It will increasingly be on players and GM's to come up with new content, and as that goes on, the poor balance and sueisms will pile up until the setting becomes tapped out and unplayable.
>>
>>49257276
"Games cancelled"

Wrong. What you'll actually find is GW putting the IP licence for these games out to tender. This only means FFG will no longer have permission to produce games in these settings - future GW plans are unaffected.

Please fact-check before peddling your sub-par reading comprehension skills.
>>
>>49257555
You do know GW is still running and making 40k stuff. The setting will continue to grow.

All thats lost is the ability to buy new copies of the rule books.
>>
>>49257555
>It will increasingly be on players and GM's to come up with new content,
DM for life here, my time is now
>>
>>49257563
And your understanding of copyright and trademark is laughable.

GW might own the setting, but FFG owns the mechanics. Sure, there might be another Dark Heresy in the future, but any similarities it has with the current iteration of the product will be glancing at best.

For all intents and purposes, these product lines as we know them no longer exist.
>>
Guess it's a good thing that I got too busy for Conquest the past year or so :^)
>>
>>49257596

So we are going to get shitposting in the future about 40k RPGs and whats the better system

I actually thought 40k RPGs were safe from it...
>>
>Killed WFRP years

How? They released some new RPG books for fantasy.
>>
Maybe this'll mean a return to GW producing board games and tcgs themselves?
>>
>>49257610
What he's saying is 3e was fucking garbage and killed any interest in it as a system.

Everyone just stuck to 2e.
>>
>>49257574
Uuugh.
>>
>>49257625
>What he's saying is 3e was fucking garbage

Can you elaborate?
>>
>>49257412

.... Does the mega have latest issued errata?

Might be worth saving given the FFG will blow them way in Feb.

I noticed what happened to the Star Wars by WotC
>>
>>49257624
Probably, they have been doing a bunch of boardgames already.
>>
>>49257624
ha ha ha, NO
>>
>>49257437
I tried reading the rules for Armada and it was a massive clustrefuck. I still can't figure out what token should I push, pull, rotate, put inside and put aside. It could be a lot easier if FFG didn't had a fucking token fetish.
>>
>>49257471
Game rules aren't subject to copyright or trademarks. Specific wording(such as tapping for mana from MtG) is.
>>
>>49257637
Another anon here, but the 3rd edition is more of elaborate board game than a roleplaying system - it has tons of gimmicky dice, character sheet is made of collection of reference cards, and has really bizarre combat system etc.
Overall the system that might be nice for some vidya with all the mechanics automated but is unfun pain in the ass when you try to manage it in dice and paper.
>>
>>49257687
Seconds - SECONDS - on Google.
>http://patents.stackexchange.com/questions/210/can-game-mechanics-be-patented
>>
>>49257708
Patents are separate from copyright.
>>
>>49257644
AFAIK, yes.
>>
>>49257729
Okay, I'll hold your fucking hand.
>http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2016/08/15/monopoly-patent-ineligible-alice/id=71926/
>http://digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1150&context=historical
>http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2013/02/12/tetris-gets-permanent-injunction-against-xio/id=34996/

Mechanics are patentable. Novel or unique mechanics (things beyond shuffling, drawing, having a hand of cards etc...) are not bound under common copyright but all other mechanics are. This was tested and upheld in Tetris vs Xio, and now has multiple precedents.

Now is the time to bow out gracefully.
>>
>>49257276
>Cancelled Games
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Fury of Dracula
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Wait, back the fuck up.

Seriously? Fury of Dracula is the fucking shit.
>>
>>49257771
Who knew it was GW?
>>
>>49257768
"Judge Wolfson took a detailed look at both the Tetris and Mino games in an effort to identify those items that were protected under the law, and there were a number of things that stood out in the Judge’s view. First of all, when placed side by side, various screenshots of the two games were just about impossible to differentiate. The Court stated (and I love this quote, by the way) that “if one has to squint to find distinctions only at a granular level, then the works are likely to be substantially similar.” Moreover, Judge Wolfson spoke to the many elements of both games that were hard to distinguish, some of which included the look, color and shape of the game bricks; the movement/rotation of the pieces; the way the game pieces could be put together to form a complete line; the exact size of the playing area; and other specific design decisions that Xio had copied."

But yeah, the copyright is totally protecting the mechanics and not the look and the feel.
>>
>>49257768

It sorta doesn't matter.

Does FFG like traditional RPG (I.e. d100 or similar single die type for success vs. Specialized dice roll RPGs as they do now) to file off the serial numbers to release a new game using the mechanics involved?

I'd say no.
>>
>>49257780

Fucking HOW?! I thought Dracula would be well an truly in public domain by this stage. How did Gee Dubs wrangle that? Did they fund the game or have it produced under their license? Seems out of left-field.
>>
>>49257842
GW published the original version of the game in 1987. FFG licensed it for both 2nd and 3rd editions.
>>
>>49257842
>Fucking HOW?!
Mickey Mouse Law
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act
>>
File: Massive Effect.jpg (62KB, 625x419px) Image search: [Google]
Massive Effect.jpg
62KB, 625x419px
I kinda expected this after FFG picked up Star Wars. SW will bring in non-gamers to buy your products, and while 40k is popular in gamer circles it doesn't have much cross-over appeal.
>>
Well... /tg/'s Deathwatch 2e when?
>>
Hopefully GW licenses out 40k to someone else. The 40k RPGs are a bit too rules heavy for my liking (I'll play them, but won't GM) and DH2s aptitudes make me think that FFG is afraid of letting players have the freedom of a classless system.

The thing I don't understand is why this means stopping all sales of the existing product lines. Keeping the digital versions for sale hurts nobody. Taking them down just gets people who would buy them to pirate them instead.
>>
>>49257957

lol nobody's gonna play your 40k heartbreaker faggot, just give up. it's a dead game. move on.
>>
>>49257842
dracula is in the public domain, the game fury of dracula isn't. gw published the first edition back in the late 80s

I would imagine their third edition is different enough from the first edition that they could just rename it and be fine, but I'm not an expert in legal issues
>>
>>49257574

>GW
>Being anywhere nearly as good at lore and setting as FF
>>
>>49257932
Building a company around a single IP you don't own is a dumb idea. They could probably make a deal with the mouse over a marvel rpg
>>
>>49257668

lol, kill yourself retard.
>>
>>49258077

Huh.

>themoreyouknow.jpeg
>>
File: 1453734295563.png (508KB, 575x457px) Image search: [Google]
1453734295563.png
508KB, 575x457px
>>49257276
> See this at first, think it's a hypothetical discussion
>google to check
>It's actually happening

So does this mean all the OOP 40k stuff Fantasy Flight produces is gonna skyrocket in price on the secondhand market?
>>
>>49257596
>owns the mechanics
Nope. Stuff like talent names and such, maybe, if they are not too general. But the mechanics themselves? No. There's not much original in those games.
>>
>>49257276
So the WH people can finally stop pretending to be roleplayers?
>>
>FFG and GW part ways.

rip WFRP3e.

2e was always better.

https://mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!JVw20QKC

https://mega.nz/#F!apdlzArL!-j3HfTPkpJFu_tk9H0HQ_A
>>
Is there any truth to the rumor that GW demanded FFG stop doing X-Wing if they wanted to keep the GW license? Because that sounds like bullshit but also sounds like the right kind of stupid for GW.
>>
>>49258268
Probably, unless FFG releases a new line of games that are the same thing but different flavor-wise.
Might pick up another copy of CitOW.
>>
>>49258634
Yeah, that never happened.
The main reason for the split is because of FFG's purchase by Asmodee, requiring all licenses with outside parties to be renegotiated, and GW and Asmodee don't get along.
>>
>>49258634

Rune Wars. It would compete with Sigmar
>>
>>49258755
>FFG's purchase by Asmodee
Who are Asmodee ?

>GW and Asmodee don't get along.
What's the story behind that ?
>>
>>49258775
Asmodee, the BIGGEST boardgame publisher nowadays by acquiring tons of other publisher
kind like EA in boardgaming
>>
File: BI-logo.gif (1KB, 156x80px) Image search: [Google]
BI-logo.gif
1KB, 156x80px
Meh, I remember when GW's own Black Industries closed and the licences went out to FFG. There was the odd FAQ for late buyers from BI but the games just changed publisher.

Though a few of the lines will probably go the way Sabretooth's did. RIP.
>>
>>49257276
good. somebody else need to revamp rogue trader, deathwatch, etc.
>>
Glad I panic bought Only War a few months ago.
>>
>>49258775
The company that owns the companies that make Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Dixit, Small World, 7 Wonders, and Catan.
>>
So would now be a good time to grab Invasion if I want it?
>>
>>49258808
>>49258945

I don't pay much attention to boardgames, which is why I hadn't heard of them. Thanks for the answer.

Now why don't GW and Asmodee get along ?
I'm guessing it's GW's fault.
>>
>>49257495
>>49257471
Possible but unlikely. But yes they can use their rules for whatever they want.
>>
>>49257291
Oh hey that reminds me 9/11 is this Sunday! Rev up that Tribute.avi, folks.
>>
>>49259057

Asmodee is french. GW is british.
>>
>>49257574
>You do know GW is still running and making 40k stuff. The setting will continue to grow.
Disgusting. GW hasn't made a good decision with the setting since making the World Engine in 5e.
>>
>>49257412
It seems you only have a scan of Faith and Coin. I have a PDF of it, with bookmarks and everything. Is there some way I could transfer that to you? Perhaps skype?
(you can highlight and copy text but not ctrl f search for it)

Also, is there a torrent of the archive? That would be a good way to ensure the archive never dies even if GW takes it down to salt the earth and make sure the dead games cannot be enjoyed by anyone ever again.
>>
>>49257412
>>49259209

Wait actually if you want it just look for foulfagus on the IRC channel
>>
>>49257555
Sounds like every GW game
>>
>>49257276
RIP 40k. Predictable though, GW couldn't allow any quality 40k material survive before they finish trashing the fluff and then destroying the setting for Age of Emperor
>>
>>49257698
They did get rid of the boardgame bits when the rereleased the game with just the core rulebook but it was too late by that time.

I hate that WFRP was pretty much a beta for the Star Wars RPGs, I would've enjoyed a Warhammer game with Star Wars streamlined rules.

At least Zweihander seems like a good successor though
>>
>>49257668
Holy shit, how do you even use a computer?
>>
GW is so fucking stupid.
>>
>>49259183
>implying the Horus heresy has all been shit
>>49258594
>Look at me I'm a real role player, if you can't DM, you can't play, and if you ever say GM I'll ficking shank ya, I bet on my mums money, because I don't leave the fuckin' house
>>49257771
If you can copywriter 'space marine' and 'PAULDRONS' then you can copy right 'YOU'RE FIRED'
>>49257624
Where have you fucking been. The assassin game, betrayal at calth, silver tower, (gore chosen)
Also why play a Horus heresy card game when I can play the table top version
>>
>>49257356

It's alright

The models look cool still right?
>>
>>49257596
>And your understanding of copyright and trademark is laughable.
>FFG owns the mechanics.

This right here is the definition of irony.

Yeah, no, nobody owns "the mechanics" of the basic d100 system.

And either way, if they did (which they don't), those would've been acquired when FFG acquired the license from GW after Black Industries anyway, since the d100 mechanics were used in the original Warhammer Roleplay games, too, including the original Dark Heresy.

You fucking retard.

>>49257610
>How? They released some new RPG books for fantasy.

Which were absolutely, 100%, horrific, board-gamey shit with special decks of cards and special dies, and a complete departure from the dark fantasy of Warhammer Fantasy, and a step straight into oversized-pauldron grimderp over-the-top territory.

Pic related.
>>
>>49257768

http://www.strebecklaw.com/court-rules-favor-cloned-tabletop-game-no-protection-us-copyright-law/
>>
File: 1230591795125.jpg (790KB, 1100x816px) Image search: [Google]
1230591795125.jpg
790KB, 1100x816px
>>49257276
It makes a lot of sense honestly, FFG was not upholding the Games Workshop promise of poor quality control, fighting over unclear rules, and table flipping.

I'm really surprised that after this blatant contract violation that they're giving FFG until February and not just dropping them immediately.
>>
>>49259706
>Pic related.

Okay...? She is a qt and she looks sad.I want to give her a hug.

Other than that I see no issue at all. Are you a sexist or somethinng?
>>
>>49259860
>promise of poor quality control, fighting over unclear rules, and table flipping.

what does that even mean?
>>
>>49259885
It's the Games Workshop experience.

You can't understand if you haven't used one of their products.
>>
>>49259706
>Yeah, no, nobody owns "the mechanics" of the basic d100 system.

This. You can't actually copyright game mechanics, just the terminology used. That's why the OGL was such a big deal, since it opened up the usage of a bunch of terminology.
>>
>>49259861
Yeah, I don't see it either. Maybe it's because she isn't ugly as boot leather or something. Frankly I don't get that complaint, it's not like there isn't a billion named characters in WFRP that aren't shitfarming peasants.
>>
>>49259885
>poor quality control, fighting over unclear rules, and table flipping.

WFRP 2e and AoS have neither of those things.
>>
>>49257932
>I kinda expected this after FFG picked up Star Wars. SW will bring in non-gamers to buy your products, and while 40k is popular in gamer circles it doesn't have much cross-over appeal.

This is very true, but the fact that it's true just means that they're fucking stupid. It means that a market remains unexploited, and that's a net loss, even if you get more money out of another market on average.

It's like they got tunnel vision after masturbating furiously over all their Star Wars jewgold. It's a fucking absurd line of thinking.
>>
>>49259964
>AoS

Assuming you're talking about Age of Smegmar, the only reason it does not have that is because nobody plays it, because it's a failed abortion, a demon-spawn that devoured it's own mother in an attempt to stay alive.
>>
>>49260057
It's not FFG canceling, it's GW refusing to renew the license because they can't help but make bad decisions.

FFG was doing them a favor out of their nerd-love with Warhammer.
>>
>>49260078
It's selling better than WHFB did for serveral years. Clearly someone is buying and playing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ
>>
File: badgame.jpg (376KB, 1599x815px) Image search: [Google]
badgame.jpg
376KB, 1599x815px
>>49260078
>>
>>49260078
>People still think this.
>>
>>49260111
>Dead game means literally zero people playing not almost no one strawman
>>
>>49257768
good to see you bowed out gracefully
>>
>>49260111
looking at that guy calling it an abortion he is still at stage 1
>>
>>49260087
>It's not FFG canceling,

I never said it was, I was referring to the strange priorities of FFG and how they've been ignoring Warhammer since they got Star Wars.
>>
>>49260445
>Ignoring
Aren't they canceling two dozen product releases?

What kind of delusion are you in?
>>
>>49257384
>Lucky for FFG that they have Star Wars to fall back on.
That ships sinking too.
>>
>>49260579
Rumor has it that Disney is pulling the SW license because FFG isn't being "Lucas Enough" with relatively few special editions or "amazing" edits to their existing products.
>>
>>49259057
I'd bet geedubs isn't OK with letting the Borg absorb them.
>>49259153
And they're both massive cunts.
>>
>>49260669
Well, they are French and British...
>>
>>49257276

>Talisman

Well just ordered all the remaining expansions I was missing. Even have the POD ones.

If people thought I was OCD with keeping my talisman free from damage and missing pieces just wait until it's out of print!
>>
File: WE.jpg (232KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WE.jpg
232KB, 1920x1080px
>>49257471
Kek, you dont want that

As if they would make games about the interesting stuff like RC or generally everything well done in the SW universe

They would do shit about the new movies or the clone wars or rebels

Star Wars is dead
>>
>>49260707
>They would do shit about the new movies or the clone wars or rebels
You have no clue about anything, do you?

The FFG X-wing game and RPG's are a love-letter to Star Wars friends that embrace the EU and completely avoid basically any reference to the prequels as if they didn't exist.

Rebels and it's ilk are how the new generation bridges the Star Wars gap.
>>
>>49259885
It's another case of daddy issues because his dad wouldn't buy him space marines when he was younger.

>Around his campfire stories are told, first it begins with an incensing of Great Cthulu with holy Cheetos powder. Then whispers of other things are discussed, but he abruptly interrupts
>GAMES WORKSHOP YOU SAY
>the pair that were talking stare at each other for a moment, one bows his head in shame, the other mutters 'nothing my lord, Oh Holier than thou art you mine GM'
>'LET ME TELL YO-' , he coughs up phelgm that would make Nurgle disgusted, a bright orange crust with nose hairs and nail protruding from it. 'YOU ABOUT GAMES WORKSHOPS. I went into their store once', he hissed. 'When I walked in they greeted me at first but muttered when my back was turned, when I unloaded my models onto the table they mockingly said
>'you can only play if your models are painted with games workshop colour range'
>I replied 'I'm sorry this is all I can afford'
>he retorted 'breaking the rules is cheating, the rules are on the wall for you to read'
>so I read them, the words floating off the page. I jackaled 'Hahuh it says here you have to play with games workshop models, those are weaboo gundam
>calmly he replied but I know he used that tone to only mock me 'they're not gundam they're tau'
>I responded 'well they're gay, who's your boyfriend the store owner'
>and like that the store owner kicked me out for being 'homophobic' like he'd know anything like the oppression we D&D players face
>>
File: ray3.jpg (6KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
ray3.jpg
6KB, 269x187px
>>49260697
touché, anon
>>
>>49260768
>posted from my mother's laptop
>at ye olde public library
>Gary, 38
>>
File: 1422316820615.png (21KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1422316820615.png
21KB, 600x600px
>>49260609
This made me laugh.
Thanks anon.
>>
>>49259423
plz no

they already killed my favorite setting (kinda at least)
>>
>>49260087
Prove it
>>
>>49260733
You can say what you want but Clone Wars is the superior setting for symetrical war.
>>
>>49257295
They sold on Dark Heresy almost as soon as it was complete and sold out in record numbers. They cancelled all their specialist and RPG games. They do not think they can do a better job - they simply do not care.
>>
I just started reading Dark Heresy yesterday hoping to run a game for my siblings. So it's over? Just like that?
>>
>>49262293
The game won't be getting new content, but there's nothing stopping you from playing with the existing rules
>>
>>49262293
If you just started reading yesterday, you have a whole hell of a lot more still to go through. The fact that new books aren't coming out anymore doesn't mean there aren't still a ton of older books.
>>
>>49262339
>>49262336

Oh don't get me wrong, I will still play but was bummed to hear that the RPG got canned right after I started reading up.
>>
>>49262192
>read the op.jpg
>>
We've suspected this had already happened for a long time but now it's official.

>>49257555
>the setting won't evolve in any cohesive way from now on

Only war (and Black Crusade) hasn't had an update in 2 years. Rogue Trader for much longer. Dark Heresy 2 was pretty dead on arrival to begin with. We were already here.
>>
>>49257295
>Fuck GW,

This is obviously from the FFG end though.
Star Wars is their new big seller, and they've hardly given their 40k lines proper attention in ages.
Not to mention FFG hasn't exactly been a bed of roses, their 40k RPGs are pretty broken and they annihilated WHFRP with their shitty custom dice and card shenanigans.
>>
File: aptopix_thailand_explosion.jpg (268KB, 1328x882px) Image search: [Google]
aptopix_thailand_explosion.jpg
268KB, 1328x882px
>>49257596
>FFG owns the mechanics

Game mechanics cannot be copyrighted, only the format they are presented in.
>>
>>49258085
>Building a company around a single IP you don't own is a dumb idea.

Yes, this is probably running through their heads and why they're launching their own Fantasy IP.
They'll hope to make in roads with their Star Wars bucks and use that to gain a hold in the market with their own shit.
>>
Why is everyone convinced this is GW's doing? GW has actually dramatically opening up their IP loaning business in recent years, and are quite frankly an extremely helpful group of people when it comes to people handling the IP.

This looks more like FFG Jewry to me seeing as FFG are wanting to push into the Wargames market.
>>
What the fuck does this actually mean for regular 40k?
>>
>>49263084
Nothing.

FFG provide nothing for 40k besides maybe fluff trickledown like Dawn of War did.
>>
>>49263084
Literally nothing anon.

We won't get anymore new planets/factions/sectors/fluff that FFG used to make (and they made some really good stuff) but the wargame won't be affected.
>>
Can't wait for new RPG stuff then.
>>
>>49257276
Some FFG people actually post (or at least lurk) here. The 40k RPGs have various nods to /tg/ content - Alice Boone, Love Can Bloom, etc.
Would be nice if they showed up to share the sentiments with us.
>>
>>49263059
there are two plausible theories floating around that mostly put the blame on gw

the first is that due to asmodee buying ffg, gw decided they deserved more money for their licensing, ffg disagreed

the second one comes from a former designer at ffg. he says gw wanted ffg to stop making miniature games entirely. ffg wasn't willing to drop x-wing and imperial assault

of course designers aren't kept in the loop, but office gossip might be a bit more accurate than random internet theories

obviously another option is asmodee decided to reevaluate everything, they saw that star wars stuff outperformed gw stuff by a huge margin, and they felt it wasn't worth paying what they did for the gw licensing
>>
>>49263168
I doubt either.
GW are whoring their IP out, and FFG haven't bothered with their 40k RPGs in quite some time.
This is a case of exploiting their Star Wars licence and not needing GW anymore.
>>
>>49263168
I don't really believe GW did anything like that simply because their track record for their IP is fire and forget to the extreme.

It's why we got the shotgun effect of the recent video games where some are shit, some are good, some look amazing and some were appalling.
>>
>>49263240
why wouldn't you just keep both cashcows and whore them both? why would you only fuck one monetary bovine when you could fuck two.
>>
>>49263268
Because it's probably a big suit filled company not understanding niche markets and wanting to double down on the "Safe" choice of Star Wars when Ironically Disney are more likely to pull the Star Wars franchise out from under FFG than GW are.
>>
>>49263268
>why wouldn't you just keep both cashcows and whore them both?

Money invested vs money gained.
Star Wars likely nets them much more for the same commitment.
The 40k release really petered out as they began to ride the Star Wars wave.
>>
File: Let_go.jpg (34KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Let_go.jpg
34KB, 800x450px
>>49257276
Throw it on the pile for the goods that GW is took to Las Vegas to sell.

https://spikeybits.com/2016/06/games-workshop-selling-ip-week-vegas.html

This was likely in the works since back in June at the show, someone took interest and they've been finalising the agreement as FFG was given the notice that it was coming. No idea who'll get it but I'm curious as to whether it was a specific interest or some sort of bulk buy situation.

First situation would draw some casual optimism the second would not inspire anything in me. Oh well thanks FFG you were never perfect but I always felt you cared. But seriously wtf is with your book bindings]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUFWXpYJKaI
>>
>>49260768

Is this meant to be funny?
>>
Good. Maybe Rogue Trader will get a good update and WHFRP will get a new edition that revives the playerbase. If nothing else, maybe there'll be an age of sigmar D&D setting that nobody will buy.
>>
>>49263328
You know, with Silver Tower I am actually convinced GW can do board games as well as FFG.

It's also in the price range for DRAMATICALLY better models.
>>
>>49257609

nothing 40K is safe from change, and since Games Workshop owns 40K most changes are bad or neutral.
>>
>>49263355
I genuinely hope there is a good AoS RPG, people don't quite understand just how much of WHFB's depth of lore came from WHFRP.
>>
>>49263355
desu. Age of Sigmar makes a fucking amazing D&D setting.

Running it now in 5e. It's surprising how easy it works.

>Paladins and Clerics of Sigmar, Grungi, Grimnir, Gorkamorka, Nagash etc
>Warlocks with pacts to the Dark Gods.
>>
>>49257957

Deathwatch doesn't have a good reputation on /tg/, unless that changes the chances of a /tg/ remake of Deathwatch are low.

This is a Deathwatch storytime I very much enjoyed though. So I will post it here for you and anyone else on here's reading pleasure.
>>
>>49263441
you got a screencap of the Blood Angel who can run at like 170 mph?
>>
>>49263368
>GW can do board games as well as FFG

Jesus Christ people can't actually believe this.
>>
>>49263489
Silver Tower is literally one of the only Board games I have played that has no DM for the "Enemy" and actively promotes Cooperation and competition at the same time while being fun.
>>
>>49257276

*Sigh* Well now I have to get a full set of Talisman, even though I know me and my friends will play it like once a year tops...

Its a good game, what can I say....
>>
fuck FW

and I'm so glad that I'm mostly into historical wargames these days

no company is ever gonna lose the IP for making games about napoleon and sherman!
>>
>>49263313
Keep in mind they only have so many employees. If its more profitable for the entire RPG department to work on Star Wars, nothing else is going to get much in the way of releases for a while.
>>
>>49263518
There are many like that now, almost all cost less than Silver Tower.
>>
>>49263678
>Keep in mind they only have so many employees.

And so much time.
Their license will expire, and so they're making hay while the sun shines.
>>
>>49263720
Like I said, few managed to be as fun while also giving me decent models.

Only other board game that matches the quality is Conan really. And that is about the same price.
>>
>>49263678
>If its more profitable for the entire RPG department to work on Star Wars, nothing else is going to get much in the way of releases for a while.
Well, for most businesses in similar situation there would be also an option of hiring more people to keep even the less profitable business aloft, but I imagine come across (competent, this is important) game designers and writers ain't as easy as, say accountants or helpdesk drones.
>>
>>49257596
Pretty sure the first Dark Heresy book was published by a GW subsidiary and thus anything in it should be owned by GW.

How much game mechanics can you copyright anyway? Battlegroup games are nign identical to the old GW Kampfgruppe Normandy with only slight variations. I seem to remember people using the old WHFB RPG corruption tables in FFG 40k RPGs, so they must have been somewhat similar. Or am I remembering wrong?
>>
>>49259521
>If you can copywriter 'space marine' and 'PAULDRONS' then you can copy right 'YOU'RE FIRED'

Micheal Buffer trademarked "Let's Get Ready To Rumble" so.....
>>
>>49260078
I'll always hate AOS for it's style and setting, as well as GW's decision to kill the old world. But claiming AOS is was dead from the start is just utterly moronic, because AOS is selling really well.

This whole low barrier to entry thing works to get newbs interested. Whenever I visit a GW store, all the kids hanging out in there only talk about AOS stuff. They don't care about 40k. GW hit the spot to get some new plastic crack addicts with AOS.

And releasing the General's Handbook has calmed a lot of nerves with parts of the existing fanbase.
>>
>>49266214
>AOS is selling really well

Where do these numbers come from?
>>
>>49266546

Not him but /tg/ is the only place who seems to talk shit on shitmar everywhere else seems to like it
>>
>>49263160
It sucks.

It really sucks.

I wanted to do more for the games, and now we can't.

It sucks.
>>
>>49257517
This.

FFG is aggressively mediocre at anything but d100 systems.
>>
>>49257596
>FFG
>Coming up with unique mechanics
They crib everything from other systems.
>>
>>49266546
They come from shut up I can make up whatever I want.
>>
>>49266994
Well, mostly, but then they did come up with their own unique mechanics and it was terrible.
>>
>>49267175
The only mechanics I have seen that are "unique" are just bastardized.
>>
Can someone make a new 40krpg general?
>>
>>49257295

FFG out-sells GW in their core market: miniatures games. FFG doesn't need to promote a competitive universe and GW doesn't want to be licensing to their main competitor.

This is good timing, methinks. GW is busily fucking up their settings to cater to their legal department and their teetering financials. If FFG had continued, the material would have dribbled into the RPG sourcebooks. As it is, we have a snapshot of the setting that we can have that will stay the same moving forward.

And if FFG releases a tactical infantry game in 15 or 28mm, then we'll have everything we need to play 2000s era 40k setting without GW at all. If that sounds like a stretch, it's what the NetEpic and NetEA community has already been doing for more than a decade.
>>
>>49257405

Armada.
>>
>>49257384
Hell, they could just take all of the rules from the games they cancelled, change out any imagery or references to Games Workshop products comma and put them back on the market under different names. They would bury GW. Games Workshop is already struggling to make ends meet. Without the supplementary income from Fantasy Flight games and the advertising they provide? GW literally has nothing.
>>
>>49257574
GW has not done anything meaningful with any of their franchises for over a decade. No significant campaigns, no changes to the lore that actually moving anything forward, and the last time they added anything even remotely interesting to 40 K was when they added the Tau.
>>
>>49257405
Fuck. Or a new Necromunda.

Fucking GW fucking it up.
>>
>>49257596
Technically you cannot copyright any system or method of performing an action. That is international copyright law. Sto applies to trademarks. Anyone could use FG's d100 system to produce their own game, as long as they did not use any specific words copyrighted by GW or FF. Gaming lawsuits are often matters of individual words being the property of a particular company.
>>
>>49260078
>the utter salt
lmao watch that blood pressure m8
>>
>>49257276
I fully hope that GW burns to the ground and their IP is put up for purchase. Actually, I hope that they get chemical bombed by ISIS so that someone has an actual reason to go and obliterate those fucks. There. Win-win.
>>
>>49263368

I've been a board gamer for years, and I have played 100+ different modern board games.

Silver Tower is the second worst board game I have ever played. It's fucking atrocious. I was a GW customer for 15 years prior to Silver Tower. I even forgave them for AoS. But Silver Tower is so poorly thought out and haphazardly designed it's offensive, and I have sworn off of GW products because of it.

The models are pretty good, though, I'll give you that.

I do not have any hope that GW will make good use of any of these properties, unless they make another deal with a competent game studio (which is unlikely since Asmodee owns most of the designer board game studios these days).
>>
>>49268205

>Good timing

In what world do you live in where the giant of classical board games doesn't outshine the big boss of "miniature wargames". Jesus, people in this hobby is so fucking retarded they actually think GW is a big shot when looking at a bigger picture.

We are already in a small market as it is, when you compare it to something as common as a classic board game market, it just seems silly.
And only retards like most people on /tg/ has some forced weird love/hate relationship going on with GW. Where the user of the hobby must constantly hate on the producer for -price/recent releases/rules/price again/new esthetics/price/it was better back in the day even though I started yesterday/new white dwarf complaints - and so on. Isn't it bad enough we are to stupid to realize that we are in a relatively small business to begin with, we are constantly tampering with the idea that a hobby shouldn't cost anything and that everyone not thinking as I do is an idiot. To me, its no wonder they scrapped WHFB, it didn't make money. They would have to re-set the whole setting to get it working again, and even then it would be bad, and people would still complain because, hey its GW right? But most people don't get this, they are simply to stupid and don't realize that if we as customers don't buy the product, it will have to go.
>>
>>49258808
>kind like EA in boardgaming
Nah it's GW
>>
>>49267053

Basically this.
It has already been in the half year report that, even though it didn't make as much as hoped, they still sold a lot and gained a profit from the game (in difference of WHFB last decade I believe...).
>>
>>49271240

>GW customer for years
>Forgave GW about AoS
>They make shit games
>models are "ok"

Its clear that you have a severe hate relationship with GW, even though its hard to admit it. And no, you didn't forgave GW for anything judging from your comment alone, you absolutely hate GW when it comes down to it. And you have had your own feelings and opinions colored by the ideals of /tg/.

This is all plainly laid out with just that comment.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Silver tower is a good game, it seems a bit "meh", but GW creates some of the best miniatures on the market (multi part plastics), and the pure quality of the game is great, there is no denying this.

But your post reek of hate for GW, only kept in check to seem reasonable at the time of posting.
>>
>>49266588
>everywhere
Nice source redshirt.
>>
>>49271505
>S-s-stop talking bad about GW!
>>
FFG will be fine they've got 3-4 other big IPs and publish a couple of dozen other boardgames.

WFRP 3rd wasn't for me. Dark Heresy 2nd wasn't for me. Talisman was probably going to end up in Age of Sigmar.

As for what GW will do, who knows either they'll take the stuff inhouse and probably fuck it up, or give the IPs to other companies...and as they continue to murder the core background stuff those will probably be a mess too.
>>
>>49271577

>/tg/ hate relationship to GW

See what I mean. If you don't hate on GW, your automatically a "fanboy". Even if you have the integrity to withstand all the shit talk and simply see things for what it is, and at least try to judge something objectively. The mass of /tg/ is to stupid to see this and will only focus on the fact that you didn't rant on GW in your post.

So don't take offense of this post, your actually the normality of /tg/, congrats.
>>
File: heart rip.gif (951KB, 350x280px) Image search: [Google]
heart rip.gif
951KB, 350x280px
>>49257276
Why are we still here? Is it just to suffer?
>>
File: 1466268876476.jpg (183KB, 1024x887px) Image search: [Google]
1466268876476.jpg
183KB, 1024x887px
>>49271650
>look, I not fan of GW, but didn't you think that GW-haters are totally wrong, and GW makeing best models and games...
>>
File: 1465960989771.jpg (245KB, 1281x807px) Image search: [Google]
1465960989771.jpg
245KB, 1281x807px
>>49271505
>but GW creates some of the best miniatures on the market (multi part plastics)
Yeah sure
>>
>>49271677

I'm nether, and thats what you are obviously to stupid to get.
If you have the capacity to say "this is product X" and judge it from that, compare it to other brands and the like, then you are nether a hater or a fanboy. But this industry (and you obviously) have a hard time on how to tackle the idea that you don't hate or love something.

Personally I just view myself as an adult. I don't see the need to change my opinion because some random anon on a board told me so. I don't see the reason to hate or absolutely love something, just because someone else does. I try to judge from what I get for my money. I play tons of board games, I have played miniature wargames about 17+ years now, and I play all kinds of brands. And I like all of them, otherwise I wouldn't have played them, its that simple.

But I run in to you and your character on a daily basis down at my local shop. The guys who cant grasp the idea that you play what you think is fun, that you paint the miniatures that you personally like and so on. And when your not a fanboy, your a threat to their reality.
"You play other games than this, then your a traitor" - kind of thinking. And I for one think its absurd, and childish to say the least.

I'm a gamer, and thats the end of it. I like games, and I like to play games. When I spend money, I view the product of my purchase and ask myself "was this worth the money?", not "what company did this? Because I refuse to like X"
>>
>>49271735

>Mention specifically MULTI PART PLASTIC
>Compare two metal models

Is this bait? Or are you just retarded?
>>
>>49271832
>I'm nether, and thats what you are obviously to stupid to get.
>but GW creates some of the best miniatures on the market (multi part plastics), and the pure quality of the game is great, there is no denying this.
Redshirt, kys.

>I'm a gamer
Nah, you are GW-player, it's straight opposite to gamer.
>>
>>49271847
Nah, I just odn't have other picture with Brillant Moniature.
Also, for some reasons metal bikers much cheaper than new plastic Chaos ponies.
>>
>>49257276
I'm sorry for everybody who enjoyed the 40k RPGs, but I'm pretty OK with this. I hope this means FFG puts more resources towards their other products that I enjoy.

Someone else will pick up the license, I'm sure.
>>
>>49271869
What resources? Aside from Conquest they haven't done dick all with 40k in months.
>>
>>49257276
Good, FFG are a bunch of faggots.
>t. assmad Anima: Beyond Fantasy faggot

Niggers won't even make an Android: Netrunner RPG.
>>
>>49271907
This event might be why
>>
>>49263168
>the second one comes from a former designer at ffg. he says gw wanted ffg to stop making miniature games entirely. ffg wasn't willing to drop x-wing and imperial assault
TOP FUCKING KEK
When Kirby was GW CEO and in one interview someone asked him about FFG and X-win he said something like "well we don't care about X-wing success we are serious hobby-game company, not toy-producers".
>>
>>49271926
Naturally, but it's not like they've been doing a hell of a lot with 40k over the last year or so, really. Conquest, sure, but aside from that, the only other 40k product that has had any sort of release in the past twelve months was DH2e, which, let's face it, they were just finishing up the Ordo splats before letting that one lie. They've been pouring their "resources" into Star Wars products since 2012 or so. I'm not complaining (too much) because I love me some Star Wars, but it's not like 40k has been absorbing tons of time and money.
>>
>>49271940
FFG is rolling out their own fantasy mass combat game, that could be it.
>>49271973
No, but depending on how long this has been in the works, would you put resources into a license you could lose?
>>
>>49271853

hahaha, cherry picking much. Stop doing it, your that same anon in the rest of 40k/AoS/WIP and so forth, your horrendously bad at it so do yourself a favor and stop embarrassing yourself. Its easy to recognize your posts, because on how bad you are at this.
>>
>>49271988
>FFG is rolling out their own fantasy mass combat game, that could be it.

With special dice and a billion fucking counters.

I really dislike FFG's "company store" approach to their games. I mean sure, every games company wants you to use their models with their game, but even GW only has 1 specific die. Everything else is regular dice.

FFG? Gotta have your own type of measurement system (unique to the game) that you can only purchase templates for from us. And unique dice so you can't just use any dice, gotta get 'em from us!

Fuck that noise. So glad the second Dark Heresy didn't get fucked over like Fantasy 3rd did.
>>
>>49272035
I like most of the special dice, they allow different variance than standard dice in X-wing and Armada, and in the SW RPG it allows a more narrative approach, rather than a binary pass/fail system, though if you hate them that much, its fairly easy to convert xwing and armada to regular D8's
>>
>>49271866

Well, first of, lets take a look at the obvious. Because, your picture and statement is the same as all the Aussie fags saying "OMG look at the horrible pricing!!!" posting picks of Australian GW webpage every time something is released. Its embarrassing to be frank.

So, you have a mid 90´s model (if even that, compared to a late 2010+ model.
You have a true-scale model compared to a hero-scale model, which in turn is like comparing an airplane to a car,when its not even the same vehicle, saying "well, obviously the plane is far superior!". And it shows your inability to even take these things in consideration, and it makes you look stupid as fuck.
And finally, you completely ignored the main point of my posts, which makes you just as bad as >>49271853 when doing your cherry picking. And that in itself is embarrassing as fuck.

Now, try to to do it again, with recent models and multi part plastics, and you will see that (despite personal opinion on esthetics) that the quality of GW models are quite high.
>>
>>49257531
Not like quality product release is going to drive GW posting around here...
>>
>>49260094
Ah, yes, as we've learned from the numbers we don't have.
>>
>>49260057
'Masturbading furiously over Star Wars jewgold' pretty much defines the history of geekdom's ascension over the last few years.
>>
>>49260609
Really? I thought it felt pretty Abrams, with its phoned-in mechanics, pretend cleverness, complete unoriginality, and existence as nothing but a drawn-out cash cow. Thought Disney'd be happy about that.
>>
File: IMG_1166.jpg (317KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1166.jpg
317KB, 1000x1000px
>>49272035

I like their approach enough, but I don't see them in the same systems as miniature wargames. As GW stated in their FaQ "they make games with added toys, we make hobby miniatures", its like comparing two completely different aspects of the gaming industry. Just because they both use models, doesn't make it the same type of game. And that people, despite this, tries to compare the two, thats what bothers me the most.
>>
>>49259521
>implying the Horus heresy has all been shit

It has, cool models though.
>>
>>49272097
>Now, try to to do it again, with recent models and multi part plastics

but this is the current plastic chaos raptor in the picture...
>>
>>49263386
>and so you approach the blood tower, the blood guardians wave there blood maces as you.approach
>I pull out my wad of absorption
>oooooh, they fail the saving throw and shrink back in fear
>>
>>49266214
Most of the sales anecdotes appear to be from 40k kids buying models to use in 40k
>>
>>49257276
>Forbidden Stars
>Fury of Dracula

I've been on the fence about these two for a while. Guess I better grab them before they go out of print and the prices skyrocket.
>>
File: delaque-leader-a1.jpg (70KB, 474x500px) Image search: [Google]
delaque-leader-a1.jpg
70KB, 474x500px
>>49272416

But its still a fuckold miniature, see, it doesn't change the fact. Now stop being a retarded chaos fag that cries about his old models. Your comparing it to a top of the line miniature with a good 10-15 years in between the two´s production launch.

And you still ignored my initial comment, making a cherry pick a fucking 5 year old would be embarrassed about. And now you look like a double idiot for this post.

So, to conclude, this guy is also the most current model for the Delaque gang in Necormunda, it still doesn't make him comparable with a model from 2010+.
>>
>>49272034
>hahaha, cherry picking much.
It's your post, not my.
>Stop doing it, your that same anon in the rest of 40k/AoS/WIP
it wasn't me.
>>
File: 1465961548749.jpg (244KB, 1392x924px) Image search: [Google]
1465961548749.jpg
244KB, 1392x924px
>>49272097
>Now, try to to do it again, with recent models and multi part plastics, and you will see that (despite personal opinion on esthetics) that the quality of GW models are quite high.
okay, here is modern model (6th edition).
>>
>>49271847
Only one of those models is metal/resin
>>
>>49272498

cont.

If my post brings out the wargamer hipster in you, you know the guy that only plays old miniatures, "just because", claiming them to be superior models, I'm sorry. Because thats just as bad, or even worse of a statement you did. Sure this model has its charm, Ill give you that, but the pure quality of the model is pretty bad when you compare him to new metal miniatures from other brands (such as infinity for example).
>>
>>49257276
Well that sucks. FFG has been producing the only good 40K lore in recent years.
>>
>>49272498
>But its still a fuckold miniature
If it's old model why did it have the price of modern models?
>>
>>49266968
>>49257517
>>49257471
Holy shit you people must really be scared of new things if you really think any of FFG's modern d100 stuff even holds a candle to their current Star Wars system.

It's not going anywhere.
>>
>>49272519

You know, the Nile isn't just a river in Egypt. Keep it up, but there is only that many posters on the miniature pages, and you are horrendously bad at cherry picking in each and every one of them, so there is no confusion that its you "bad cherry picking anon". The guy who does this out of a post;

>My opinion is X

and turns it in to

>So you think Y is the way to go, fucking fagot!
>>
>>49272563
>I never said I am GW fanboy
>proven wrong
>b-b-but it's cherrypicking, stop talking bad about GW they [produce best models and rules!
>>
>>49272563

Your arguments are almost as incoherent as Silver Tower's rulebooks.
>>
>>49272527

And how your back with the Aussie example "look at my price range!!!!".

You take two of the models in opposite corners, first of, you still have a Hero-scale model in comparison to a true-scale model, which points out to me that your a fucking fag that doesn't know what he is doing, and certainly don't know anything about miniature wargames in general.
Secondly, you take the two most obvious "this is bad and this is great" models you can possibly find and put them in a picture. Believe me, I play Infinity to, and though they do make great models, they have some pretty "meh" looking once as well.
And third, you are still pushing to show a Multi part plastic model that, in agreement is ugly as fuck (straight out of the box), has an infinity of opportunities to be just about anything with a bit of imagination, to a mono-posed metal miniature. And Id also like to ad that you took a middle of the line painting and compared it to a true pro job. This alone could make the difference between a model looking good and not so good.

All in all, we can now conclude, since you didn't get the idea from 3 guiding (well written as well I might ad) posts above, that you are indeed a complete fucking retard.
Go compare an airplane to a car, since that seems to be your thing.
>>
>>49272587

How am I proven wrong? I'm simultaneously posting that I play X-Wing, that I play other miniature wargames and that I play tons of board games.
How retarded do you have to be to get this to be a fanboy.
Its like owning a set of Playstation, X-box, Nintendo, you name it. Playing everything from top to bottom when it comes to games.
But when you don't mention you literally hate one system over the other, just for the cause in itself, your now a fanboy? Jesus, please tell me your under the age of 12, or have a mental condition, otherwise I'm embarrassing as fuck.
>>
>>49272642
>And how your back with the Aussie example "look at my price range!!!!".
Lolwut? Even for EU prices are stupid, 30 euros for 1 plastic model.
>first of, you still have a Hero-scale model in comparison to a true-scale model,
So what? hero-scale looks ugly today.
>you take the two most obvious "this is bad and this is great" models you can possibly find and put them in a picture.
Show "good" GW models.
>they have some pretty "meh" looking once as well.
But not ugly, inlike GW.
>that you are indeed a complete fucking retard.
Sure mr. Redshirt, but here is the thing, people hate GW not because "it's GW", but because GW didn't made good rules since LotR and cannot make good models since 6th edition of 40k and 8th ed. of WHFB.
>>
>>49272675
>How am I proven wrong?
> >>49271853
>>I'm nether, and thats what you are obviously to stupid to get.
>>but GW creates some of the best miniatures on the market (multi part plastics), and the pure quality of the game is great, there is no denying this.
>>
File: img5241881d9ea59.jpg (128KB, 1000x602px) Image search: [Google]
img5241881d9ea59.jpg
128KB, 1000x602px
>>49272527
centurions can look quite good imo
>>
>>49272035
>can only purchase templates from FFG
But that's wrong, you fucking retard. There are heaps of acrylic 3rd party templates and counters available for x-wing and armada.
>>
>>49272677
Shut up, Slav.
>>
>>49273186
Which would be unnecessary if not for FFG's insistence that the very act of measuring movement/range for the game must be done the FFG way!
>>
>>49272172
>we finished the year with sales of Warhammer: Age of Sigmar at a higher rate than Warhammer has enjoyed for several years.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/07/games-workshop-2015-16-annual-financials.html

pretend ignorance is bad, anon.
>>
>>49262979
>>49258311
>>49268792

I remember that FFG had to buy the mechanics to X-Wing and the Dune game, and in the case of Dune they only got the system, not the IP, so apparently you can own mechanics.
>>
>>49273237
>waaaaah, I have to spend a tiny amount of money and can't pirate anything!
stop being poor.
>>
>Forbidden Stars will never get an expansion
Damn... So much potential gone.
>>
>>49271735
Lots of times having every mini in a unit posing in a cool way looks like a retarded clusterfuck. There's no issue in having minis in generic blend-in poses if you're playing a game with 20+ miniatures per battle.
>>
>>49271735
Why would I want every one of my 20 raptors to be posed like an action hero? It'd look silly.
>>
>>49273297
I didn't say anything like that, moron. Throw ya straw at someone else.
>>
>>49273237

Yes, because GW totally does not require you to use special templates or dice at all...
>>
>>49273421
Doesn't GW have a word-of-god 1d6-to-1dGW conversion standard?
>>
>>49273237
If this is actually you're arguement you're probably a retard, because a lot of games require custom templates and dice.

In fact almost all of them do.

In fact they all do.
>>
>>49273237
>WAAHHH! I have to buy a starter set once to play a game!!! FUCKING FFG JEWS WANT TO STEEL MY SHEKELS!

>Ohhh, what is this, a new codex came out?
>SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.
>>
>>49273448
No, because the scatter dice would be impossible to emulate as it just has arrows pointing directions.
>>
>>49257932
But GW stuff is what MADE most non-gamers into gamers in the first place.
>>
>>49273465
Point noted
>>
>>49259521
The entire idea of making the Heresy anything other than a vague background myth is shit.
>>
>>49259964
>WFRP 2e didn't have unclear rules.

I love that game, but you are fucking delusional.
>>
>>49271918
But, anon, the original setting for Netrunner is Shadowrun.
>>
>>49273551
No it isn't you doof, it's CP2020. ONR-CP2020 conversion rules are in Rache Bartmoss' Brainware Blowout.

ANR uses the Android setting.
>>
>>49273548
It's rules are very clear.
>>
File: wtf was that post.png (821KB, 1179x893px) Image search: [Google]
wtf was that post.png
821KB, 1179x893px
>>49257668
wow, just wow
>>
File: luther-rage-o.gif (4MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
luther-rage-o.gif
4MB, 320x180px
>>49257519
oi opin da door cunt!
>>
>>49273585
You're right, I dun goofd.
>>
Goodbye ascended /tg/ creations.
So long, Boone, LIIVI, Grendel.
We'll never have a small piece of AGP fluff in DH or OW ;_;
>>
The only GW product I've bought in years is the Deathwatch game, just for the Genestealers because I love the cults and Space Hulk. I've not even glanced at the rules. The figures are great.

The problem with AoS is that it comes from a studio drained of real design talent. All their game design talent like Rick Priestly have gone and all that's left are young people who have known little else than GW and the corporate environment, which has established itself over the last 20 years. GW was made by people who had a wide experience of fantasy, roleplaying games and companies prior to GW. The current studio I bet is mostly people under 30 (has to be on those wages) and have limited experience beyond GW and their narrow selection of games and fiction. GW even pride themselves on this idea that you have to be a 'good fit' to work for them meaning that other gaming products and experience are an anathema to them.

The studio is either incapable of writing a decent game, or hamstrung by the demands of executives. GW has made almost nothing really new in over 10 years. I think Inquisitor was made about 2001, since then they've rereleased Space Hulk again, a game designed in better times by greater minds, and made Dreadfleet, which was shit. There's a recent rash of games that are mostly worth buying for the models, I don't see people actually playing them. They've tried to reinvent Warhammer as AoS, another total mess from a company that has purged itself of genuine creatives and replaced them with GW drones.
>>
>>49273465
At least in some books they had a way to emulate scatter with a plain D6.
>>
>>49257276
So does anyone have PDFs for Fury of Dracula then?
>>
>>49273512
>muh head canon

kill yourself
>>
>>49273682
Don't forget that the original GW team had something like 3 doctorates in it.
Which seems to be standard for '70s/'80s games. It was a niche hobby, a lot of the people were intellectuals.
Which might be one of the reasons why /tg/ has one of the best board cultures. People here often have a lot of knowledge and/or experience, so you regularly find gems here (a effective, if trivial, example would be the horse anus).
The creation of /his/ and /qst/ don't seem to have resulted in too much of a brain drain.
>>
>>49273677

AGP?
>>
>>49273749

I'm doing a Master's Degree in History (I know, waste of time and life etc) and /his/ has never appealed to me. It really does feel like the History Channel of boards, no depth and no substance. Also /pol/ as fuck, which is never fun to deal with, any more than the SJW Historians that seem to infest most History Departments these days.
>>
>>49271847
the raptor is plastic - old metalics had different jump packs and considerably less bling
>>
Should I buy Forbidden Stars or three supplement books (in german) for Dark Heresy?
>>
>>49273770
You're in for a ride.
http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/

Also look the 2D storytime if you've got time to waste.

>>49273789
The last fun thread I had on /his/ was about Joan "I break holy swords on the backs of prostitutes" of Arc. It mixed trivia, interesting 100 years war sociopolitics and anons going through old docs to determine how she looked exactly, in order to fully assess her waifu status.
But things like that are pretty rare.
>>
File: 1412941273810.jpg (468KB, 717x1129px) Image search: [Google]
1412941273810.jpg
468KB, 717x1129px
>>49273981

I've always been fascinated by Joan and own three separate books on her, but sadly all my time on /a/ has kind of corrupted me about her.
>>
>>49273921
Go on the 40k rpg general, download pdfs, and judge for yourself.
There'll probably be special sales to empty the warehouses at the end of the year, so I'd wait a bit, though.

>>49274035
What pisses me off the most is that she's supposed to be brown or black haired, yet mangos always represent her as blonde.

I shouldn't complain, looking at the moe trends it was either that or a rule63 loli version of DeGaulle with cat ears. France dodged a bullet here.
>>
>>49273921
Forbidden stars because it's gonna be out of stock everywhere soon and you can just download the RPG rules anon. No ones gonna stop you, and after January 2017 no one will give a fuck.
>>
>>49274183
I'm just mad that japan is too dumb to give her the 100% historically accurate sweet hat.
>>
>>49273789
Anything actual /his/ quickly drops down in favour of debating what colour indo Europeans were and why black people are dumb.

There have been some nice photos of archaeology threads but they don't last long.
>>
>>49268587

>struggling to make ends meet

they made £12 million post-tax profit last year, up from £10.5 the year before
>>
>>49273448
>>49273465
At least with the artillery die, the conversion is to double everything up and have 6 be the misfire.
>>
>>49273749

My doctorate is in business, and I've never even been on /biz/.

The last bastion of the PhD game designer mafia is SJGames. Many, many doctorates among their contributors and even the ordinary forum-goers. The BattleTech forums have quite a few as well.
>>
Insider on this topic here, it's been done so Games Workshop can license a bunch of properties individually. Rather than one company owning everything. It starts in January, look toward British games companies first.
>>
>>49272498
But plastic Raptors were released in 2012.
>>
>>49272711
Simply removing the crotch and thigh plates makes them look a lot better. One of their biggest failings is that they don't look like they can't even walk thanks to that plating - obviously the plates move and slide over the legs in 'reality' but on the model all they do is make the suit look stiff and awkward.

I think replacing the heads with standard Marine helmets also helps, personally. Since the pilots are wearing regular power armour under there I don't see why they need these strange pseudo-Terminator helmets that don't look very nice.
>>
>>49271402
>But most people don't get this, they are simply to stupid and don't realize that if we as customers don't buy the product, it will have to go.

The product must be worth buying first.

GW wrecked WHFB with their own refusal to update armies and terrible design choices? People didn't buy Bretonnians? No shit, they hadn't been updated in a decade, there was no new shit to buy and no reason to get into a faction that was so ridiculously outdated. Tons of people played them in earlier editions before GW just arbitrarily decided to leave them on the backburner.

We saw the same shit happen with Necrons and Dark Eldar, and then what happened when GW put some effort into making them worth buying? People bought them.

Really, the first thing GW needs to do is abolish its retarded 'codex by codex' rotor of releases and adopt something more like the Infinity/Warmahordes phases.
>>
>>49271402
You should be ashamed of yourself for defending that poisonous line of logic.

GW made WHFB more expensive and less fun so it sold less, its their fault and nobody else's.
>>
File: FyreslayersVulkiteBerzerkers05.jpg (38KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
FyreslayersVulkiteBerzerkers05.jpg
38KB, 600x620px
>>49271505
>GW creates some of the best miniatures on the market (multi part plastics), and the pure quality of the game is great, there is no denying this.

Yep, so amazing.
>>
File: Duardin Fyresymmetry.jpg (166KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Duardin Fyresymmetry.jpg
166KB, 800x800px
>>49277257
"GOLDKIN FYREBOTHYRS, BEHOLD, I HAVE PERFECTED VOLCANODRAGON HIGHSYMMETRY! I CANNOT BE FELLED BY BEAST OR MAN!"

For real though, GW design and actual sculpting has being going downhill for years. When I buy anything 40K related now I go to Forge World, because they're the only people making good Warhammer models anymore.

Compare the abomination in pic related to...
>>
>>49273699
It has nothing to do with head canon.

Going into excruciating detail on the Heresy ruined it completely. It was better as a myth.
>>
File: Nemesis Walker.jpg (114KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Nemesis Walker.jpg
114KB, 960x640px
>>49277285
...this.

Note that everything on this is articulated. If it looks like it should move, it can be moved. And this is made with a tiny fraction of the resources GW has access to.

GW has no excuse for its shitty overpriced models.
>>
>>49265707
>How much game mechanics can you copyright anyway?
None at all. Only their presentation.
>>
>>49275317
>they made £12 million post-tax profit last year, up from £10.5 the year before
Yeah, thanks to licensing, while their own revenue still falling.
>>
>>49277257
>>49277285

Wow, those suck dick. Normally I'm of the opinion that GW models are the shit, but those are terrible.
>>
>>49275317
From licensing related to games (like FFG's games, in fact).

GW's own products are generating less and less income. Actual investors in GW who get reports on this stuff have been writing articles about this.
>>
>Conquest is kill
That is a shame
>>
>>49277388
Very little of the other AoS stuff is any better.

The giant monsters look like actual toys made for toddlers to play with.
>>
>>49277294
Not really. You are just mad that you don't get to headcanon anymore.
>>
>>49277285
I started painting with GW mini's but quit because it was getting too expensive and I wanted to have some mini's I could experiment with colors and not be out 20-50 bucks if I didn't like the results.
I then found Reaper and my god that shit is affordable and looks badass. They sell bones models for 2 bucks. Hell when they had a kick starter they were selling a five headed dragon model almost the same size as forgeworlds reaver titan and I bought that shit for 50 bucks.
>>
Fuck fuck fuck shit damn motherfucker. The roleplay games were the only real inlet to the setting I utalized on the daily. Damn it.
>>
>>49277442
What motivates you to troll in such an obvious fashion?

The Horus Heresy series was a huge mistake and its frankly astonishing anybody thought it was a good idea.
>>
>>49277442
Oh anon, if there's something no one can erase, it's headcanon. It's inherent to any fiction.
>>
>>49277442
Jokes on you. The HH was so shit that I started headcanoning that 99% never happened.

Before the HH i didn't have a headcanon aside from battles i played on the TT.
>>
>>49277141
Painting them in a different color so they look like a skirt (as on actual roman centurions) would also do it.
>>
>>49277635
> it's headcanon.

Actually, headcanon can be ignored and nobody outside of the headcanoner cares about it. But do you want to know something can never be ignored with discussing the story of the setting and the lore? The actual canon.

The whole "myth was better" crowd are just jackasses who are pissed that their handcanons were invalidated.
>>
>>49271402
>But most people don't get this, they are simply to stupid and don't realize that if we as customers don't buy the product, it will have to go.

I remember when it was our fault that GW was shit because we kept promoting bad behavior by giving them money for the shit they peddled. Now that people didn't buy their shit, it's the people's fault that the game is gone because they didn't give GW money for the shit they sold.

If WHFB was still alive and kicking, you'd be telling us how shit it is and how people are stupid for keeping the thing on life support instead of voting with their wallets.
>>
>>49278468
I'll take myths over retards with daddy issues and forced 40k references for the lulz.
>>
>>49278562
Buzzwords will not avail you, spawn of Whineseer!
>>
>>49278583
Fuck off, carnac, you're the only one who cares about your market appeal.
>>
The Best Part of this thread is watching GW Fans pissing and shitting on each other.

You dumblefucks really are your own worst enemy's
>>
>>49278583
>Uh oh. I cant argue with that
>B-buzzwords!
Not that much more could be expected from someone whose arguement was based off baseless assumptions to begin with
>>
File: The zoo.jpg (71KB, 469x213px) Image search: [Google]
The zoo.jpg
71KB, 469x213px
>>49278614
>"People disagree with me on the internet, it must be Carnac!"

Nah, bro. Completely unrelated anon to the conversation here, you're just a whiny baby. The HH series has some abominable lore in it, but 95% of it is palatable.

Just ya know... Quit being a bitch and ignore what you don't like and move on with your life instead of being upset over a book series.
>>
>>49278644
There isn't much to argue with an opinion that's based on nothing cause i know for a fact that you guys don't read much of the series you hate. So move along.

>>49278614
Says the guy who cannot get enough of it.
>>
>>49257276
On a related note I can't wait for their new line of Fantasy minis.
>>
>>49273749
Since we're all flaunting our degrees, I got a master in materials engineering and one in nanotech engineering and /sci/ is pretty shit IMO.
>>
>>49271505
>but GW creates some of the best miniatures on the market (multi part plastics)
Nah, that's would be Momminiaturas or the Perrys.
>>
>>49272711

A good paint scheme on a shit model still leaves you with a shit model
>>
>>49278819
The recent Warlord Games stuff is impressive, also.
>>
>>49278468
And you know, anybody who liked the mystery and the vagueness. Instead of it all being ruined with shitty writing and excessive detail. The actual canon is awful, that is the issue.

So stop telling obvious lies on the internet, its childish.
>>
>>49278698
Only crazy people keep buying a series they dislike to find out if it gets better.

There is not a single benefit to going into the Heresy in such detail. And you lose all the interest it had before.
>>
>>49279003
>anybody who liked the mystery and the vagueness.

You mean guys who liked blandness and plotholes which are convenient for the headcanon sort.

And nothing is wrong with the canon, you overreacting drama queen.

>>49279029
And that's why someone should dismiss your buzzwords.

You confirmed what I just said.

>going into the Heresy in such detail.

New characters, character development from pre-existing characters, and great moments where they get to shine. So I gotta disagree.
>>
>>49278687
>ignore what you don't like

What happened to "headcanon is a no-no, whineseer"?
>>
>>49278640

Its sad that this is so true.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.