[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good morning /tg/, i need your help with a little something,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 822760-1321726647.jpg (268KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
822760-1321726647.jpg
268KB, 1680x1050px
Good morning /tg/, i need your help with a little something, today i woke up and felt like playing skyrim, so just made a fresh install and got my favourite mods (mostly mods that adds things to combat and some roleplay value) and just played the first dungeon, Bleak falls barrow. I always liked this dungeon, the way the game tells you about it before you have to go there, the npc's comments and bieng able to see it from a distance at the top of that mountain, i also like the dungeon itself. So after playing it again i felt like making my own dungeon
>(and that's why i came here instead on /v/ you guys know much more about dungeons).

(Cont)
>>
File: dungeon.png (170KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon.png
170KB, 1000x1000px
>>49256034

I wanted to make something like this (from the outside) a small abandoned village at the base of the mountain and a cave leading to a passage to the top where the tower is.

The tower itself could be divided on 2 sections, the part that can be seen (low on combat but with a lot of storytelling) and and huge underground area (more focused on exploration) with an underground lake where the boss dwells

anyway, this is what i need your help with:
>do you know any good locations for this on skyrim?
i want it to be easy to see the tower from the distance, to place it somewhere the player might find it without needing a mapmarker
>do you have any advices about dungeon design? i have made some modding for skyrim on the past, but never made a dungeon
>what about traps? any cool ideas on that?
i wish to use traps but not in the usual way skyrim does,i don't want the to just be there to be an obstacle for the player, i want to use them in a way that makes the player think
>what are your favourite dungeons? from any media, videogames, tabletop roleplaying games or wathever
>do you know any dungeon layout i should check out?
anyway sorry for my broken english and thank you in advance for any ideas you can bring to the table
>>
>>49256034
>>49256108
/tg/ dungeons and /v/ dungeons, especially for Skyrim aren't really the same OP. In /tg/ you have to keep players interested, so there is much more stuff like planning your next moves, many skill checks and situations for different characters to excel at, more complicated riddles and traps etc. And usually less fighting then in a video game.

Skyrim dungeons(with no offense for the game itself) are basically slash your way through hordes of enemies (or stealth shoot them if you're an edgelord/pussy), avoid some obvious traps and get loot at the end.

What I'm trying to say is, you might get some cool ideas for your dungeon here, but /tg/ way of doing stuff usually doesn't translate well into /v/.
>>
>>49256034
>skyrim
Eww. I'm not sure even the Commander Keen rule counts for this.
>>
>>49256171
>keep players interested
>more complicated riddles and traps
>usually less fighting then in a video game.

that's why i came here, i hate how skyrim makes dungeons, so i want to find some ways to make them more interesting. I don't want to fight an enemy on every room, instead i would love to give the player a more interesting experience that just "come in, get loot, get out"
>>
>>49256246
>>49256246

forgot to say, i can make a lot of scripting and custom props/creatures so that gives some more freedom
>>
>>49256034
Now you've got me thinking about continuing with my own dungeon history generator.
>>
>>49256746
nice, that's awesome
>>
>>49256108
I really like the mental image of an undergorund lake with a boss fight, especially if there's light coming up from the water. Maybe crystals or bioluminescent mushrooms?

>i want it to be easy to see the tower from the distance, to place it somewhere the player might find it without needing a mapmarker
Skyrim has enough weather phenomena to obscure the colder places. What kind of environment do you feel your dungeon should belong in?

>do you have any advices about dungeon design? i have made some modding for skyrim on the past, but never made a dungeon
D&D Online has some dungeons where most of the floor cracks and you fall through to the level below. If you can jump/know the way/are just plain lucky, the floor falls down around you while you remain unharmed.
This is sometimes coupled with force fields that only undead can walk on (meaning that only the player falls through).

Generally, if you want the player to have to learn more about your dungeon, make it a part of the intended play to actually return to a previous part of the dungeon. Like walking down corridor A to find a locked door that can only be unlocked using a key found in corridor B.

>i wish to use traps but not in the usual way skyrim does,i don't want the to just be there to be an obstacle for the player, i want to use them in a way that makes the player think
How about a "maze" where the "walls" are actually formed of fire, dart traps, pressure plates, or another harmful environment piece that can still be moved through? So the player can choose to step carefully or to barrel through and take damage.

Maybe have some traps be more powerful, but with a delayed effect so the player can react and get out of the way.

Or a trap that triggers off of the player *leaving* a pressure plate, with the plate making a recognizable noise? That way the player will have to listen carefully.
>>
>>49257562
Garden maze made entirely of tall rose bushes.

Or alternatively, just a regular corn maze. Ever run through a cornfield with bare arms? If you have the chance to do so, don't. Fucking leaves are like razors
>>
>>49257621
The fire, rose or maize maze has the advantage of obscuring the other side of the "walls". If you don't use something like that, you'll want a thick fog in the maze in order for the player to not simply run in a single direction from the beginning.
>>
>>49257562
thank you for answering mate, i love the idea of crystals or mushrooms under the lake

>What kind of environment do you feel your dungeon should belong in?

For now i would like some snow and near a lake or the ocean. Maybe lake ilinalta? (or wathever it's called)

>Generally, if you want the player to have to learn more about your dungeon, make it a part of the intended play to actually return to a previous part of the dungeon.

yes, i was planning on this, always loved that "aha" moment when you realise that you saw the solution of that puzzle earlier on the game

>floor cracks and you fall through to the level below
love that idea, i would make several entrance points for the underground level, and will surely use one of those, skyirim already have that in a dungeon and it's quite easy to implement

>How about a "maze" where the "walls" are actually formed of fire, dart traps, pressure plates, or another harmful environment piece that can still be moved through? So the player can choose to step carefully or to barrel through and take damage.

Maybe have some traps be more powerful, but with a delayed effect so the player can react and get out of the way.

Or a trap that triggers off of the player *leaving* a pressure plate, with the plate making a recognizable noise? That way the player will have to listen carefully.

that's kinda what i'm looking for, will need to do some scripting and stuff. I was also thinking about combining traps and enemies in a way that the trap supports the enemy (but still can be used to the players advantage)
>>
>>49257621
>>49257641
what about a moving maze? don't know if that's possible on skyrim tho'
>>
>>49257735
It should be, last time I was messing around with scripts was in Morrowind, but it was technically possible there, so it should also be in Skyrim.
>>
>>49257767
i will take a look at those dwarven ruins, i'm pretty sure i saw something like that in one of them
>>
File: Blackreach.jpg (285KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Blackreach.jpg
285KB, 1920x1080px
>>49257562
>I really like the mental image of an undergorund lake with a boss fight, especially if there's light coming up from the water. Maybe crystals or bioluminescent mushrooms?

Blackreach is the shit, man, I just love that eerie atmosphere.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.