[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it just me, or are rules for melee weapon power/fuel supplies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 3dp_Chainsword_imperial.jpg (25KB, 640x178px) Image search: [Google]
3dp_Chainsword_imperial.jpg
25KB, 640x178px
Is it just me, or are rules for melee weapon power/fuel supplies rarer than they should be ?

Sure, a solid metal sword isn't going to need ammo. But what about a chainsword or energy blade ?

The energy field and/or motor would need to be powered by something. But the rules just have them running forever. Even when the same system expects you to track ammo use for things like a long-las in 40Krpgs, which hold enough shots in a standard power cell that you're not likely to need to swap power cells unless you jam the gun or are stuck on a low tech planet for a while.

Why do melee weapons rarely get fuel/power supply rules ?

Are there any melee weapons with fuel/power supply rules that are worth using compared to the other weapons available in that system/setting ?

For an example of a weapon with power supply rules that isn't worth using, look to the Sollex-aegis energy blade from DH1 (Inquisitiors Handbook). A Power Sword is better than an Energy blade in all but a few, unlikely, scenarios.
>>
Lasguns can fire a hundred shots or so from a dinky power pack that charges in sunlight.

I don't think the power needed for a relatively small motor or an energy field generator, that can be switched on or off when needed, are so demanding that they can't have a similar system.

I'd think that that would be why they don't really have rules for such things. If you really want to I guess you could say they get x amount of uses from each power source or whatever before they have to replace it.
>>
>>49255565
>he wants to bloat the rules further

It's assumed that people take enough energy/power/ammo for their weapons before heading into a fight.
>>
40k power weapons were made by space masons and need no charging/power cells past what they have in them.

Chainswords are pretty much trash tier weapons that already have time for cells listed.
>>
>>49255610
That is only true while players have regular access to places to recharge the power pack.

When they lack access to a power source for a long duration (say, a year or two spent on a feral world), it's a different story. The rules for recharging a lasgun power pack in a fire give it a chance of breaking every time it's attempted. So enough time spent without somewhere to recharge the lasgun will stop working due to a lack of power. The same thing should happen to any electrically powered weapon.

> If you really want to I guess you could say they get x amount of uses from each power source or whatever before they have to replace it
I could. Thing is I'm more interested in why rpg designers seem to have this idea that melee weapons should never use ammo.

Because the mindset of "guns use ammo, melee weapons don't" isn't unique to the 40krpgs. It seems to be the standard across all sci-fi RPGs I've played.

It also makes choosing between melee weapons less interesting. There have been times when I've chosen the high capacity gun over a more damaging one. A choice that doesn't exist with melee weapons in any system I've played.
>>
>>49255672
>bloat

Why does the long las have an ammo count when using standard power packs in the 40k RPGs ?

It carries enough ammo for several fights without needing a reload.
>>49255712
>40k power weapons were made by space masons and need no charging/power cells past what they have in them.
>Chainswords are pretty much trash tier weapons that already have time for cells listed.
Source for both claims ?
>>
>>49255565
In Praetorian of Dorn, a power sword's "power field" I think they call it fails after cutting through a few boarding shields causing the marine wielding it to abandon it.
>>
>>49255736

that act of swinging the weapon recharges it though - the question is what sort of Marine would ever carry a big choppy ting around and not be swinging it? It just ain't orky.
>>
Do chainswords pull upwards or downwards? I always assumed upwards because it's easier to pull down to counter it but not sure.
>>
>>49257824
Direction of the teeth always made me think it pulls upwards.
>>
>>49257824
It's upwards.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.