[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should vampires have traditional weaknesses, or has that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 237
Thread images: 33

File: 1473289234726[1].jpg (62KB, 925x960px) Image search: [Google]
1473289234726[1].jpg
62KB, 925x960px
Should vampires have traditional weaknesses, or has that gone out of style?
>>
File: lugosi.jpg (20KB, 350x234px) Image search: [Google]
lugosi.jpg
20KB, 350x234px
>>49229368
I think it is the part what makes them intriguing. Sure, bloodsucking, charming fellows, but really restricted by their weaknesses.

But you have to remember that severity of those weaknesses tends to fluctuate over time.

In Bram Stoker's Dracula, the count only lost his powers in sunlight and got stabbed dead.
Then you have the other plethora of weaknesses, like getting ill from of sight/smell of garlic, having to count small things like rice ( eastern vampires and some from Carpathians ), not being allowed to enter residence without being invited, not being able to cross running water, having strong distaste for organized religion...
>>
> has that gone out of style

Who gives a shit?

Make vampires how you want to make them.
>>
>>49229368
Why is her dress getting incinerated? Is it a vampire too?
>>
>Expect Kryptonite, like its for "normal vampires"
>Get Supervampire literally walking trough its mortal weakness, because it only slightly slows it down
>>
>>49230694
Alucard?
>>
>>49229368
In a Discworld novel it was the vampire with the traditional weakness that ended being the most powerful one. While the noveau vampires that tried to get rid themselves of all weakness ended being wimps.
>>
File: 1450187632582.jpg (25KB, 257x257px) Image search: [Google]
1450187632582.jpg
25KB, 257x257px
>>49230694
>Vampire gets incinerated by sunlight
>All it does is light it on fire and make it angry
>When it turns into ash the vampire regenerates and pops out of someone who inhaled it
>>
>>49230818
>Use vacuum cleaner.
>>
I like their normal weaknesses to be there with some possible mitigators.
>>
>>49231151
>Sunscreen
>Gas masks
>Freeze ray so they can cross moving water
>Minions to cover their weakness.
>Weakness only apply in their true form, not while turned to wolf or bat, there they just have said creature weakness.
>>
>>49229368

That's what makes them a vampire. Without the weaknesses, you just have a blood sucking sparkly weirdo.
>>
I had an idea for one of my settings, but I don't know if I'll ever get to use it.

> Due to the vampire's curse, they must complete any puzzle set before them before they can do anything else regarding whatever the puzzle is behind (Counting rice, solving riddles, etc) as long as the puzzle is solvable, and they know it is solvable
> You can save your ass if a vamp attacks you and you know a really good riddle or are great at making it sound like a good riddle
> Grand vampires are put in miles-deep dungeons filled to the brim with puzzles and layer after layer in sand or rice (That they have to count) in case they escape their silver-lined caskets or whatever
> Basically unkillable otherwise, you can only disable them for a certain amount of time
>>
>>49229368

Vampires with Umbrellas should be immune to sunlight damage, due to the umbrella confusing their bodies.
>>
>>49231440
>Foolish adventurers break into a Grand Vampires tomb, thinking it holds treasure, solving every riddle and puzzle along the way, believing them to be to protect the treasure in the silver chest at the end.
>>
Vampires aren't real. You can kill them however the fuck you want.
>>
>>49229516
Didn't Dracula also need to sleep in dirt from his home country? Or is that something that someone else made up? I only read the Great Ilustrated Classics version as a kid which was, obviously, abridged and even then I don't remember much (other than the MC's wife was cute and I wanted her to stop being a vamp).
>>
>>49231308
Dracula basically had almost none of the weaknesses, and he's the most well-known vampire.
>>
File: 1426512309437.jpg (18KB, 422x356px)
1426512309437.jpg
18KB, 422x356px
>>49231771
Why do people like you even come to this board?
>>
>>49232245

Don't feed the trolls, nuke the bridge and use a fly spell like a pro.
>>
>>49232245
Because I enjoy RPGs and think people should think creatively instead of being bound by arbitrary rules about fictional things?
>>
>>49229368
I think one problem some vampires these days have is people trying to stack every single weakness vampires all over the world have had. Just, shit man, calm down, most individual regions' vampires only had one or two of those.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (54KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
54KB, 1920x1080px
>>49229516
>having to count small things like rice ( eastern vampires and some from Carpathians ),

Pic related?
>>
>>49229368
Well, traditionally, sunlight just weakens them, and/or robs them of their powers.
I do not know where bursting into flames came from, but it's just kryptonite conventionally.
>>
>>49231807
I think that may have been one of the things added for Nosferatu, but I could be wrong.
>>49232504
That was Nosferatu. Somewhere along the line someone decided it would by more dramatic than stabbing him in the heart.
>>
>>49232981
Looked it up, it was Dracula (soil thing). Well as much as you can use a site called vampires.com as a source.
>>
>>49232489

Well, that was very clever.
>>
>>49232981
No, it's from Dracula, one of the things the book is spent on finding the secret hiding spots of his soil.
>>
>>49230392
Thank you, John Landis as portrayed by Simon Pegg.
>>
>>49229368
Suppose you'd like to have staking just tickle a few ribs too. Vampires are defined by their weaknesses just as much as by their powers.
>>
>>49231689
!!!
That's some Legends of the Hidden Temple level dungeon crawling. Even better if it's acolytes have been subtly leading them to this tomb, making them think that something in it can stop thier master from coming back.
>>
>>49231440
God, now I just want to force vampires to solve computer science issues like P=NP and other unfinished theorems. Vampires can be the magical equivalent of quantum computers.
>>
>>49230790
How?
>>
>>49230790
Not really, they almost won.

And if that where the case the black ribboners would be weaker than normal vampires but they aren't
>>
>>49229368
>>49229516
I think it's good to have some weaknesses. Some like garlic and counting rice might just be silly depending on the setting. The important thing is that the vampire is clearly stronger than most humans when the circumstances favor them, but most circumstances do not. This is why you don't have massive vampire kingdoms without powerful black magic or so forth. Invitee issues, rivers, sunlight, etc hamper them.
>>
>>49234557
He was just a badass motherfucker.

New guys also shot themselves in the foot - they needed strong willpower to resist the weaknesses, most notably religious symbols. In the process of training they familiarised themselves with the symbols of all the metric shitton of religions on the world. So when their concentration slipped, they started seeing symbols of /something/ pretty much everywhere.

Old count meanwhile didn't. He just had the usual sunlight and crosses, but none were present on the scene.
>>
>>49235549
>>49237311
>New guys also shot themselves in the foot
Technically correct, but also entirely wrong.

The new vampires were very clever and very powerful, but fucked up because they tried to do this shit when Granny Weatherwax was in town. They even nearly won, but fucked up by trying to turn her into a subordinate instead of just killing her, and Granny's willpower was more than theirs.

The old count was a badass motherfucker, yes, but he ALSO knows it's the monster's job to be a monster, and then get defeated by the hero.

Granny and people like her thinks that a few people dying or whatever is fine for monsters, so he gets to come back, but the wholesale people farming that the new count was going to do was trying to be too much like humans, so she rendered them powerless and basically said
"if you don't act like monsters and get put down like monsters humanity will just go hardcore on your ass and throw your bottled ashes over the side of the world to be stuck floating through space in the sunlight forever"

Granny Weatherwax doesn't fuck around.
>>
>>49230790
>>49235549
>>49237311

It's not so much that the one with weaknesses was stronger or weaker - it's that he was known to be less of a threat.

The Count played a fair game. He does his thing, the town has enough of it after a while and hires vampire hunters, they come and hunt him using weaknesses. He COULD, if he chose to, resist these, but he doesn't, because if he ignored these then that just makes people hunt for something he CAN'T shrug off. So he falls, and because the weaknesses don't destroy him, just knock him out for a while (a hundred years is a while, right?), he comes back later and the cycle repeats.

The new vamps sought to rule by nullifying their weaknesses. This made them a threat, one that couldn't be dealt with normally, but one that HAD to be dealt with somehow. And since Discworld runs on stories, a more dangerous threat gets a more permanent destruction.

No individual human beats a vampire. But there's always more humans than vampires, and they just need to be lucky once. Rules like garlic and invitation and such, I'd think, could be seen as more for the vampire's benefit than for the humans'.
>>
>>49232439
>Because I enjoy RPGs and think people should think creatively instead of being bound by arbitrary rules about fictional things?

>but not so creative that they invent a new name instead of using an old one that no longer applies and only causes confusion

OK faggot
>>
i find vampires funner if they adhere to all their traditional weaknesses,only the strongest most clever vampires capable of working around their weaknesses will be left

also trivia:
vampires hate garlic, because garlic was believed to have curative properties that repulsed evil

vampires have no reflection because silver (used in mirrors) is a holy metal that cant catch a vampires evil photons

vampires are weak to running water, since running water was associated with purity and cleansing, and thus would be anathema to the evil vampire

vampires needed to staked, since it was believed that you would literally stake a vampire to his coffin, preventing it from rising, it was wooden because wood was the most common material, a silver knife was considered superior due to silvers holy properties
>>
>Sunlight is a weakness.
>Garlic is only mildly annoying due to heightened senses.
>no one knows where the running water thing came from, it's weird and is still a mystery to the vampire community.
>They aren't incapable of getting into a home uninvited, they just were raised better than that.
>Of course one would die when you shove a stake in their heart, a human would die from that!
>Religion doesn't exactly matter, most are Atheist or Buddhist.

God this anime/manga was shit but at the same time that break-down of the weaknesses was hilarious to watch.
>>
>>49237672
The Japanese are bad at western mythology.
>>
>>49237672
One very stupid thing in that show is that one of then actually survives the stake in the heart in a deus ex machina around the end.
>>
File: image11.jpg (215KB, 669x1014px) Image search: [Google]
image11.jpg
215KB, 669x1014px
>>49237701
The "mythology" was always all over the place. It's not like a stake through the heart was always the preferred method. Ever heard of the New England Vampire Panic? Good times, good times.

Consumption, i.e. tuberculosis, was kicking the shit out of the area:

>By the 1800s, when the scares were at their height, the disease was the leading cause of mortality throughout the Northeast, responsible for almost a quarter of all deaths. It was a terrible end, often drawn out over years: a skyrocketing fever, a hacking, bloody cough and a visible wasting away of the body. “The emaciated figure strikes one with terror,” reads one 18th-century description, “the forehead covered with drops of sweat; the cheeks painted with a livid crimson, the eyes sunk...the breath offensive, quick and laborious, and the cough so incessant as to scarce allow the wretched sufferer time to tell his complaints.” Indeed, Bell says, symptoms “progressed in such a way that it seemed like something was draining the life and blood out of somebody.”

So of course they blamed vampires. Dug up some bodies, played jigsaw puzzles with the bones, try to burn the heart. Fun times.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-great-new-england-vampire-panic-36482878/
>>
>>49234523
So Deep Rot but with more evening dress and Eastern-European accents?
>>
>>49237491
>>49237480
You know, I really would have liked to know more about the painting that was just an indication of a hooded shape with something that may have been a beak.
>>
>>49229368
Vampires have always had one very specific weakness that for some reason often goes overlooked.
>>
>>49237906
Lesbomancy best mancy
>>
>>49237906
An angry man with a sabre and a magnificent moustache?
>>
>>49237672
That ane was pretty dumb, but I loved the "raised better than that" part.
>>
>>49237945
As it should be. The clue was in the filename.
>>
>>49237956
But why protect when he can partake? Not just two titties but FOUR TITTAYS
>>
>>49237975
Because vampires are greedy and don't share. Samuel Clemens is a wise man who knows the rewards of heroism are greatly under-exaggerated. The grateful maiden will suck you harder than the vampire ever could.
>>
Vampires must have to have big inherent weaknesses that generally make them weak to humanity

If vampires were like super strong humans, they would've enslaved or killed us off a long time ago. That's just how survival of the fittest works.

Vampires can't form an army and fight humans outright because they can only fight at night time and meager shit like garlic and crosses keep them at bay. They have to be crafty fucks just to survive.
>>
>>49237984
He should kill the vampire and do some necrophilia once's he's done banging the other chick
>>
File: story898b.gif (14KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
story898b.gif
14KB, 600x450px
>>49229368
Just got to play your favorite game: Stand in the tree's shadow.

>>49229516
I like weaknesses that reward research and preparation and knowing the rules. Being able to stay safe from vampires by following the rules makes them more interesting and gives them more license to be overwhelmingly powerful without it feeling unfair or breaking the story.
>>
For ultimate horror have your players fight Twilight vampires.

They're completely bullshit.
>>
>>49237997
Survival of the fittest isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes an advantageous trait doesn't have enough evolution pressure to ensure it properly propagates. Life doesn't care about who is better or more deserving. A superior specimen who succumbs to illness or injury (accident or otherwise) without passing on its traits is certainly not enjoying survival of the fittest. Stronger and more fit species are often lost due to various circumstances: change in environmental conditions, plague, or just outbred by a less physically superior competitor.

Besides how does that even work with vampires? Are we talking standard undead or do they manage to breed amongst themselves? How do they maintain their population? They'd have to careful not to become too numerous or they'd risk a Daybreakers situation. At the very least it's not exactly like they have a perfect situation. They can be physically superior but their primary prey, us, tend to be numerous and with an amazing propensity for creative violence. I'd imagine Masquerade rules would need to be enacted or we'd eventually find a way to wipe them out.
>>
>>49238021
Perhaps all vampires could have their own set of personalized weaknesses.
For example, sunlight and then the plethora of different ones, like being compelled to use coasters and sending christmas cards to everyone in nearby village.
>>
>>49238105
>sending christmas cards to nearby villages
>Still a stereotypical evil vampire, just a really jolly one
>Invites people to his castle for christmas, everyone believes it's a trap, it's actually not.
>>
>>49237956
Can't see that on mobile.
>>
>>49238178
prod your finger on the bit which says 259 kb and it should show up unless it's spoilered.

It's how I enjoy most filename threads while on mobile.
>>
>>49238194
T. Hanks!
I guess that was the olden days' version of "To catch a predator."
>>
File: slav dance.gif (963KB, 207x266px) Image search: [Google]
slav dance.gif
963KB, 207x266px
>>49237701
>Vampires
>Western mythology

Kek
>>
>>49229368
>sunlight

Hollywood isn't "traditional"
>>
>>49238474

Hollywood is western and that's where the sunlight weakness comes from, so... yeah.
>>
>>49237672
>most are Atheist
explains why Crucifix is so effective against them
>>
>>49229368
>>49235870
>>49229516

i feel like "burning up in sunlight" (and most vampire weaknesses) only really works in a traditional fantasy setting and doesn't really work as well in and modern day setting

that said I'm ok with vampires losing their powers in sunlight
>>
>>49239058
I mean they probably don't have the same problems with crossing moving water, as in a city they'd be completely buggered.
>>
File: Sir_lee_1951_getty.jpg (21KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
Sir_lee_1951_getty.jpg
21KB, 624x351px
>>49229368
You should have a healthy seasoning of weaknesses classic or otherwise, just enough variation to catch players off their guard once or twice.

My favourite twist is that yes counting is a big thing that they are all compelled to do, that said be careful they're awfully good at counting.
>>
>>49239091
It the legends it was naturally occurring running water - rivers, lakes, oceans, etc. Aqueducts and piped water were fine.
>>
>>49229368
Very much so. You don't have to add every single one, but without the weakness it really ceases to be a vampire in my opinion.

I also prefer to include the effect being a vampire has on a person's mind, that they no longer feel as they did or enjoy as they did, and seek endlessly to fill that void. being a vampire is a curse, and it annoys me when I see them written as good looking people with fangs and little else.
>>
>>49232021
Dracula was in the "Kryptonite slows him down" tier.
With a few additional rules to keep his power level.
>>
>>49239091
Depends on what is "moving water".
If its pipes, or if its the River Volga/Thames.
Or even how big the river has to be.
>>
File: 13862.jpg (983KB, 1920x1350px) Image search: [Google]
13862.jpg
983KB, 1920x1350px
>Weaknesses
Get over it. You'll find a way around them sooner or later.
>>
>>49239433
Dracula had weaknesses, but they were exactly that: they made him weaker.

He didn't burst into flames on contact with sunlight, but it still sapped his power.
>>
>>49232489
Now you are making me wonder if that was intentional.
>>
>>49239565
Nosgoth vampires are just different.

For example water just burns them like acid, not acts as an invisible wall.
>>
Are there many stories that involves vampire conception?
I know twilight had it (and in all seriousness the vampires breeding with mortals being possible but deathly to the mother and unborn child was a neat rule), but every other vamp story I've come across had infertility as a technical weakness.
>>
The issue in a lot of formats or settings is that there are other ways to get super amazing powers without having weaknesses tacked on
To compensate for having pretty obnoxious constant weaknesses you have to give them some pretty unique and amazing powers. That or have it understood from the get go that vampirism is a challenge and shouldn't be viewed as something that will help.

I.E. Why be a vampire to be able to use certain magics when you can just be a wizard who can do all of the same magics and more?
>>
>>49232021
Dracula is the most well known vampire, yes, but by in large he's misremembered as a vampire caricature of having common weaknesses like garlic/no reflection/weak to crosses/etc.

Everyone knows Dracula, barely anyone has read Bram Stoker's "Dracula"
>>
>>49231440
>and they know it is solvable
No one can know that a puzzle is solvable until it has been solved.
>>
>>49232489
Holy shit...
>>
>>49230751
Practically every vampire character from the 21st century really. There are very few vampires in modern media that are actually killed or crippled by sunlight unless they have an easy work around.
>>
>>49240443
>wizards cannot be uncertain their demon summoning circle or teleportation ritual is perfect, as it isn't hard to imagine death being the cause of missing a line of chalk.
>sorcerers constantly unable to do anything precision based
>druids either are obliged to attend every circle meeting or have become guardians of some primordial secret that could destroy civilization
>holy paths to power speak for themselves
>unholy paths to power is no different to vampirism
>obtaining enchanted equipment that could put you on the same footing as a vampire would risk your life

All of those things vs the instant gratification of one bite + immortality? Keep in mind that while the others grant immortality sometimes, a lot of the time you're so fucking old anyway
>>
>>49240684
missing a line of chalk being the cause of death rather
>>
>>49229368
depends on the setting
>>
I really like the way Shiki did vampires.
They had a crapload of weaknesses and not many powers so they had to take control of the village gradually and subtly.
>>
>>49231807
His coffin was filled with consecrated soil (soil from a Catholic graveyard). He needed it to cross the ocean, as I recall.
>>
>>49229516
>not being able to cross running water
I think if anything it should be drinking (i.e. life-giving) water that hurts vampires, and they should have nothing to fear from water you can drown in.
>>
>>49237612
>Wanting shitty postmodern vampires
>>
Teej you're always full of tasty ideas.
>>
>>49231212
>Freeze ray so they can cross moving water
I love the idea of a vampire superscientist.
>>
File: 1464211794111.jpg (195KB, 1200x1657px) Image search: [Google]
1464211794111.jpg
195KB, 1200x1657px
>>49229368
I like Bakemonogatari's take on it, wherein sunlight is the standard weakness but that's about it, and it can be overcome, but the few times it is overcome either nature itself tries to erase that vampire or they instantly regret it because now there's nothing that can kill them.
>>
>>49241033
Well what's not drinking water to us is drinking water to someone.Plenty of fish in the seas and all that, though that might also be stretching the concept of "drinking".
>>
>>49241033
Ha, depending on the era the water in a city might not be the most conducive to life, unless you count the microscopic swimming things in it.

Reminds me of the River Ahnk from Discworld. They never said if vampires could cross it, especially given it has a crust that light enough people can walk over even outside of winter. Come to think of it their vampires were interesting. Most of the old school ones love to play fair, leading plenty of easily ripped curtains and easily broken wooden furniture for making stakes. Then there is the question of whether they had any true weaknesses or whether it was all in their minds. Then of course there are the Black Ribboners who swear off drinking blood. I can't recall if this alters their weaknesses but I recall it was said to dampen some of their abilities.
>>
How far below them can running water be before a vampire can cross it?
>>
>>49243367
>nature itself tries to erase that vampire
Nah, I can't stand that shit from WotD, It's a neat gimmick for all of a couple of hours.
>>
>>49229368
I prefer them being normal looking people, that have to eat other humans to sustain themselves (not just blood, but the whole body), and that go full eldritch abomination-mode in combat (like all sorts of wierd and fucked up looking shit). They don't have traditional weaknesses (as in burning in the sun/garlic), but they can be taken down by normal means (killing it hard enough that they can't pull themselves back together, multiple times).
>>
>>49246437
I would have figured surface water but then that still raises the question of wether they can fly over if they achieve a sufficient altitude.
>>
>>49243367
>nature itself tries to erase that vampire
That never made any sort of sense in that setting, and I always asumed it was just a shitty plot device, that Nisio thought up at the last minute because he's a hack.
>>
>>49246799
>>49246437
Also I think the old rule was "running water" specifically so sufficiently still water sources pose no problem.

I'd say it depends on the setting/gm. Though this entire thread reminds me of some story where vampiric weaknesses were mostly rumors spread by the vampires themselves.
>>
>>49246846
>this entire thread reminds me of some story where vampiric weaknesses were mostly rumors spread by the vampires themselves.
Isn't that from Hellsing?
>>
>>49240479

ITS FUCKING MAGIC
DEAL WITH IT
>>
>>49246919
>Isn't that from Hellsing?
Not sure. Never seen it, so I'm not sure how I would have heard about it but at the same time I can't remember which story it is. Could even be more than one.
>>
>>49232489
Played a party that ran into The Count, in a dungeon. (It was a really weird dungeon)
After defeating him we had to interrogate him, but he wouldn't break.
Till we discovered that we had to ask all the questions in number related ways.
>How many doors in this hallway are trapped?
>One!
>Two!
>Three trapped doors! Ha ha ha!
>>
>>49240396
The Romany folk have tons of legends on half vampire offspring. It was these legends that inspired the manga Vampire Hunter D.

The most interesting aspect is that these children would be born physically weaker, and usually with at least one deformity, but they have some seriously cool magical abilities. Like seeing and communicating with ghosts.

I think this is the where the stereotype of the old hideous hunchbacked gypsy witch with a gigantic nose and covered in warts/moles come from.

All those deformed physically frail illegitimate vampire spawn metaphysically fucking shit up left and right, yo.
>>
File: VIXEN.png (39KB, 403x567px) Image search: [Google]
VIXEN.png
39KB, 403x567px
>>49229368
Classical folklore is filled with retarded weaknesses that sound more like stupid superstition heaped on top of retarded superstition.

Why would a stake to the heart be more lethal than any other wounds, beside symbolic value If a vampire can heal from puddles of blood, what makes decapitation particularly lethal? What about stupid weaknesses like garlic, invitations, or counting stuff?

And what about downright crippling issues like running water, heaped on top of sunlight problems?

You are not looking at vampires the way you would in a balanced game setting. Vampires are weak. They are truly helpless half of the day, have severe elemental weaknesses with fire and the holy, on top of having a shitty hunger system piled on top of them, potential to becoming mindless beasts, silly extra weaknesses like garlic and running water and overall mostly not making up for any of this shit most of the time.

Because in worlds where your average human could also learn to commune with long-dead spirits of legendary warriors, and grow to become super fast with super summons and super toughness and super armies and super magic and super everything and no weaknesses at all, a vampire starts looking like shit.

Which is a shame, because they are pretty cool.

So that's why you get a lot of supplements and settings that reduce the vampire weaknesses to the more manageable sunlight, holy, and fire. Because otherwise, you're better off becoming a lich or some shit.
>>
>>49247319
Mother fucker, I'd like to see you try and resist being mindfucked by a vampire outside your bedroom window until he shreds your brains with his vampire hypnosis to the point that you freely invite him inside your home just to make the sheer agony and horrific visions stop.

THEN try and tell us how weak and lame they are.

You don't need to physically cross a river if you are old and powerful enough to kill everyone on the other side with a mere thought by commanding legions of plague infested rats into their midst.
>>
>>49247426
Well, I'd like to see you resist the same thing happening at the hands of a Lich who can PERSONALLY do the deed in broad daylight without getting stopped by a shitty trail of garlic and closed doors.

Meanwhile, a vampire goes:

"Hey sir, do I have your permission to enter your house? I'm burning out here!"

You are not getting the point. A vampire is stronger than a man, sure. But that means jack-shit in a world filled with more powerful fantasy creatures that have none of the pants-on-head retarded weaknesses a vampire has.
>>
>>49247544
Personally I think big weaknesses make them attempt to stack cards in their own favour.
Invite your prey on your own turf, abuse your stupidly powerful regeneration, seduce, utilize creatures of the night and thralls, mistform through vents...

Or go full ham and dismember your foes by shooting pressurized liquid from your eyeballs.
>>
>>49247544
Yeah, but liches are ugly, can't have sex, and can't blend in perfectly in a crowd of humans who have decided to go on a witch hunt of all the local undead.
>>
>>49247319
The heart pumps the blood a vampire sucks. Destroying the heart is like surgically removing the stomach from a person. Perhaps they will survive the destruction, but they will be unable to sustain themselves. Decapitation kills almost anything that has a use for the things contained in the head. Chickens are stupid, they don't need their brain to walk. Vampirism roots from an ancient curse, the curse which is to ultimately torture them.

Vampires are not "truly helpless half the day" all of the time. Vampires may stay awake as long as they like at any hour, so long as they avoid sunlight. Caves, dungeons, inside gigantic manors, take your pick. When properly hidden from the oppressive gaze of the sun, Vampires act as powerful as if the moon were at their back. Also, you assume that being a Vampire is a career, and not a condition. A condition as extreme as Vampirism must have special care taken to keeping you healthy, yes, but that doesn't mean you can't take a few lectures in necromancy, or archery, or some other useful skills that will help you get your next meal.
>>
>>49240396
Ain't that what dhampir are?
>>
>>49247277
That's a real cool element, like a mother of monsters kinda deal.
>>49248184
Never heard the term before today. Neat.
>>
>>49242993
One of the most enjoyable WoD games I have played in.
>>
>>49237601
Taking advantage of names is important. If you say vampire the players can act on stereotypes they incorrectly think are effective, and then need to do actual research to combat them. By using names a good GM can take advantage of the players out of character knowledge and improve gameplay
>>
>>49230694
Sunlight didn't kill good old Dracula, why should it bother any other Vampire?
>>
>tfw you'll never get to use melon vampires
>>
>>49240840
>consecrated soil
Really? Because they made those coffins unusable by putting the Eucharist in them.
>>
>>49229368
It's gone out of style because people dont like the fact that their special badass is weak to common things. That doesnt mean there is anything wrong with it, its just traditional arrogance.
>>
File: 2007-06-07-wombat123-squash.gif (49KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
2007-06-07-wombat123-squash.gif
49KB, 600x800px
>>49249542
I think you mean vampire squash
>>
>>49249438
Dracula is supposed to be one of the most powerful vampires possible, damned by god himself.
>>
>>49238530
But it's not mythology.
>>
>>49247158
Underrated
>>
>>49247687
And you may, MAY, manage to equal the guy who just learned to do all of that. Or he may force the fight at noon because it doesn't bother him to do so.
>>
File: Vamp cast.jpg (278KB, 849x1201px) Image search: [Google]
Vamp cast.jpg
278KB, 849x1201px
>>49237672
Speaking of anime vampires, I think that Narita's Vamp! books did a alright job with them, even if the first vampire you meet in the books is a bubbly true gentleman blood amoeba that communicates via writing letters in the air using blood. It's a ensemble cast like all his other series so the focus doesn't stay on anyone for too long.
>>
File: f02ec5ec9a7565377886672d46da4124.png (1015KB, 4698x2643px) Image search: [Google]
f02ec5ec9a7565377886672d46da4124.png
1015KB, 4698x2643px
Sometimes it can be pretty good that way.
>>
>>49246465
>>49243367
>>49246807
The nature of a Vampire in Bakemonogatari is that they're memetic existences and exist through literal Meme Magic. The sunlight as an enemy is attribute only memetic knowledge of that being a weakness.
>>
>>49238508
>>49238530
Actually the sunlight weakness came from Bram Stoker (admittedly also western), just in his version sunlight robbed Dracula of his powers rather than killing him.
>>
>>49229368
>Should vampires

No.
>>
>>49239058
VtM dies fine with it
>>
File: 1472600974954.jpg (348KB, 1000x1163px) Image search: [Google]
1472600974954.jpg
348KB, 1000x1163px
>>49247158
>>49232489
>>49229516
>The Count was actually either a Chinese immigrant, it was a Romanian immigrant that was turned by a Jiang Shi, hence the blue skin
>he just dresses like a Romanian vamp because it's cool and he appreciates the wordplay
>also because he's certain that most folk would know what a Chinese vampire is, since Sesame Street seems to be more of a mixed Monster American and Puerto Rican neighborhood.
Pottery
>>
>>49229516
>penchant for archaic clothing
>preference for targeting women
>terrified of sunlight
>sensitive stomach
>Obsessed with proving mathematical capability
>incredibly awkward with introductions and etiquette
>repulsed by running water
>strong distaste for organized religion

Holy shit they're neckbeards.
>>
>>49239058
"Vampires can't go out in sun" is actually more viable in a modern setting than a fantasy one. What the hell do non-noble fantasy vampires do to pay the rent?
>>
>>49251936
It's more like they're the kind of smoother operator that neckbeards wish they were but will never, ever be.
>>
File: tasty blud-aid.jpg (103KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
tasty blud-aid.jpg
103KB, 500x625px
>>49251979
Market their lifestyle in a series of cunning ploys to convince the ladies of the land that drinking blood is the best way to stay beautiful, bankroll the production of a series of pageants based on the struggle of their lives, create some punch and judy style shows where the vampire hunters are the comedic villains who get beaten down, and then spruce up the old castle as a tourist trap. Be sure to put up signs that you aren't responsible for missing valuables or virgins and to have them check the lost and found. The lost and found is also a trap that leads to the dungeons/kitchen.
>>
>>49229368
Vampires are supposedly undead,

so they should have weaknesses to light and fire.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (149KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
149KB, 1920x1080px
Fuck weaknesses, embrace dandyism
>>
>>49249663
I believe the soil was originally consecrated, if I am remembering the Dracula novel correctly. BUT, the very act of digging it up and removing it from the graveyard DE consecrated it. Thus, making it a powerful tool for Dracula. Much more powerful than plain mundane soil you could get anywhere.
>>
>>49251993
Speak for yourself, peasant.
>>
>>49251979
If I ever get a chance to I'd be down to play a modern day vampire who's a night shift manager at a fast food restaurant or Walmart that goes home and vegges out with vidya/introverted hobbies. Maybe a human friend or two.
>>
>>49253870
Ladies and gentleman of the jury, I rest my case.
>>
I think very very traditional settings have gone back into style.

It's tastefully gaudy. Like vampires that can't cross running rivers or some shit.
>>
>>49229368
That picture makes no goddamn sense. We clearly see the shade created by the umbrella slanting off to the right (somehow the shade is visible in empty air, and also for some reason all the reflected sunlight that allows us to see her in the first place doesn't count, but whatever), yet when we look at the ground the shadow she's casting is directly below her, as if it were noon.
>>
>>49229516
I always found western vampire weaknesses to be pretty consistent. It's holy/pure things.

Garlic and silver have antiseptic properties that people in olden times must have noticed (using silver knives rather than steel ones for surgery would have a slightly less infection), even if they couldn't properly explain. Running water is safer to drink than standing. Salt is often used for warding and magical barriers (and is a good way to make food last longer in storage).

I'm just theorizing, but inviting vampires in might have something to do with stuff like chalking of the door, where the house is blessed, thus making it holy/pure and thus would ward of bad thing. So bad stuff can't come in unless you invite it in. It's possible it has just remained in pop-culture even if houses are no longer blessed.

I'm sure anti-vampire things from other cultures have similar reasoning behind them.
>>
>>49254566
>I always found western vampire weaknesses to be pretty consistent
Maybe in popular entertainment. In real world execution it's been rather varied. I read this one yesterday and it had some fun stuff >>49237785

>The particulars of the vampire exhumations, though, vary widely. In many cases, only family and neighbors participated. But sometimes town fathers voted on the matter, or medical doctors and clergymen gave their blessings or even pitched in. Some communities in Maine and Plymouth, Massachusetts, opted to simply flip the exhumed vampire facedown in the grave and leave it at that. In Connecticut, Rhode Island and Vermont, though, they frequently burned the dead person’s heart, sometimes inhaling the smoke as a cure. (In Europe, too, exhumation protocol varied with region: Some beheaded suspected vampire corpses, while others bound their feet with thorns.)

I've always loved the turning vampires upside down method so presumably they don't know which way to go to escape their grave. Other than that, obviously the real world is pretty boring. I don't know if there are cases where people with extreme sensitivity to the sun or OCD so strong they frantically count every grain of rice you just threw at them, but I'm not aware of any vampire trials akin to the witch trials the world has seen.
>>
>>49235549
Actually, they are. At least the one in one of the guards books (Thud, I think) said that without drinking any blood she can't really do the turn into bat thing as well.
>>
File: coldsteel-the-vampire.jpg (51KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
coldsteel-the-vampire.jpg
51KB, 500x333px
>>49254668
Desecrating bodies isn't nice, so I think it still plays into the basic "things that are holy, things that are unholy" mindset.
>>
>>49254566
I only like garlic and salt being vampire "weaknesses" when it's explained that it's due to them having much stronger senses than humans. As for a stake through the heart, well, who doesn't that kill?
>>
>>49254734
It doesn't count if they're vampire bodies, son.

Joking aside there isn't a lot of forensic evidence since you're right people don't like scientists anthropologists digging up graves, at least graves of their own people (if it's the Mayans or whoever, sure, who gives a fuck) especially if it's to see if one of the local townspeople was once considered a vampire. So mostly we have written evidence made by witnesses. Mind you in the Northeast US this was believed to have been caused by an outbreak of tuberculosis so people were pretty fucking terrified enough to try anything. Screwing with a dead person seems the lesser offense when you're afraid if you don't you might suffer a lingering, wasting illness.
>>
>>49254734
A lot of people didn't like it. I found this bit interesting

>The first known reference to an American vampire scare is a scolding letter to the editor of the Connecticut Courant and Weekly Intelligencer, published in June 1784. Councilman Moses Holmes, from the town of Willington, warned people to beware of “a certain Quack Doctor, a foreigner” who had urged families to dig up and burn dead relatives to stop consumption. Holmes had witnessed several children disinterred at the doctor’s request and wanted no more of it: “And that the bodies of the dead may rest quiet in their graves without such interruption, I think the public ought to be aware of being led away by such an imposture.”

It's amazing (and disturbing) what people will do when they're scared.
>>
>>49254812
>A lot of people didn't like it.

That's the point. Messing with corpses is not nice, so if you want to be mean to someone, mess with their corpse.

Isn't messing with the dead such a taboo in the east still that games with ragdoll physics are a bit obscene as you can play around with the corpses in them? I remember there being something about that.
>>
>>49254846
>Messing with corpses is not nice, so if you want to be mean to someone, mess with their corpse.
This isn't the case of being petty. This is something they were doing to their own family members because they were scared shitless.

And some people didn't do it out of their own belief. The most famous American "vampire" Mercy Brown (detailed in that article) was dug up with her own father's permission after she died. Her heart was removed, burned, and the ashes fed to her sick brother (who died anyway). By all accounts he didn't believe this would help, he was just tired of his scared neighbors screaming at him to do something.

Poor kid still gets some shit. People visit her grave and leave trinkets like fake vampire teeth and even cough drops. Lovely sentiment for a 19 year old girl who died coughing up blood.
>>
File: swing-that-cactus-tyrone.png (939KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
swing-that-cactus-tyrone.png
939KB, 800x537px
>>49254875
Why did they think digging them up would help? There must have been a reason to think such specific actions would have some effect on them.
>>
>>49231440
So that's why prof. Layton is obsessed by puzzles.
>>
>>49231771
>Vampires aren't real
That is what they want you to think
>>
>>49254920
The article talks about it but mostly what we have is speculation since stuff like this isn't as well documented as it might be, even if in some cases it's aware that local authorities and even clergy participated.

But it's basically superstition. Same as what drove the witch trials in Salem and elsewhere. Apparently (and this surprised me) people weren't heavy into the church but local superstitions were rife. Stuff like people burying their shoes by the fireplace because somehow it warded off the Devil if he tried to sneak down the chimney. And the old chestnut of nailing horseshoes up for good luck.

Add to that tuberculosis is some nasty shit. You can linger for years slowly wasting away. People didn't even know it was caused by bacteria until 1882 and the rural folk weren't likely to know anyway. There wasn't even a treatment until the 1940s. Still a prime vector is from cows. People drinking unpasteurized milk, something good old Louis didn't come up with until 1864. They were doing it to themselves without even realizing it and whole families were being wiped out, one by one.

I like this bit:
>Vampire believers “say that death comes to us from invisible agents,” Barber says. “We say that death comes to us from invisible agents. The difference is that we can get out a microscope and look at the agents.”
But even if they knew about the bacteria they still couldn't treat themselves once they'd caught it. You were in the hands of god or whoever and either survived or you didn't. In the case of Mercy Brown her mother and sister died first, then she died, then her brother. Her father somehow never caught it and lived into the 1920s. Some people have all the "luck."

Anyway they blamed demons or spirits, believed to take over a family member who preyed on their kin even after they died (yes, even if they were a victim of the same disease).
>>
>>49254920
>http://home.benecke.com/publications/the-restless-dead-vampires-and-decomposition
Here's a fun list of reasons why people have traditionally felt that the undead exist after digging up a corpse that doesn't proceed to eat them in the name of it's necromantic overlord and is otherwise just a lump of decayed tissue or even a spoopy skeleton. This is because even in modern times most people don't really know what decomposition looks like and so rural pissants especially didn't.

>The most frequent 'signs' of the undead reported by vampire-hunters are:

>1. The body looks better fed than in lit because of the vampire feeding on blood
>2. The skin is blood-red in colour rather tha the paleness associated with death
>3. Blood is seen flowing from the mouth an nose
>4. If injured or cut, the body bleeds as thoug alive
>5. The body's old skin has been replaced bv new, moist, healthy-looking layer of skin
>6. Hair and nails have continued to grow, new nails have replaced the old ones
>7. The body moves when uncovered
>8. The body groans and farts.

This shit is full of typos but it's the best I could find on short notice. Amazing how googling "signs of vampirism" end up with new age bullshit and "ways to tell if ur a REAL vampyre!!!!1"
>>
File: 1418520086665.gif (676KB, 160x240px) Image search: [Google]
1418520086665.gif
676KB, 160x240px
The only good vampire is a dead vampire!
>>
>>49255988
But Sergei, they're all dead!
>>
>>49251283
>>49251979
but i feel that with the common vampire weaknesses it would just be more nobility or high society that would get to be vampires than say todd who works the night shift at walgreens as they would probably be more concentrated in one or two areas

also didn't VtM have clans, families, etc. so a newly bitten vampire wouldn't have it as rough and you were virtually fucked without them.
>>
>>49254374
>25 year and nethack is still fun.
>I wish there where history classes at night. I hate wallmark
>>
>>49255988
I would have thught that vampires and Serbs would be traditional allies.
>>
File: Kim_claps_clap.gif (799KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
Kim_claps_clap.gif
799KB, 640x448px
>>49247158
>>
>>49229368
Make them have weaknesses, but make them be aware of it so they have several ways to protect themselves.

For example, that 2hu vampire in OP pic would always know how to angle her clothes and umbrella to never get hit with sunlight.
>>
>>49245836
>depending on the era the water in a city might not be the most conducive to life,
Beer, then. Vampires should fear beer.
>>
>>49260096
Nothing should fear beer.
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>49234523
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight_(Watts_novel)
>>
>>49263223
The vampires almost ruined that book. They were totally out of place.
>>
File: travis-mullins-8.jpg (88KB, 606x607px) Image search: [Google]
travis-mullins-8.jpg
88KB, 606x607px
>>49260819
Depends, man. Not all beers are created equal.
>>
So what about Twilight-type vampires? Literally no weaknesses apart from not staying concealed.
Being an emo pussy isn't required
>>
>>49264092
and here I was trying to think of an SCP to write

thanks anon!
>>
>>49254736
>As for a stake through the heart, well, who doesn't that kill?

Ghosts and skeletons. :D
>>
>>49264345
>skeletons
Granted.

>Ghosts
No, see, that's where you fucked up. You can't kill a ghost with a normal physical object, sure, but if you harness the ghost of the wood, then you can drive the ghost wood stake through the ghost heart with no problems.

Of course then you've just created a double ghost, which is really twice as spooky.
>>
File: XRF-krasue.jpg (72KB, 770x897px) Image search: [Google]
XRF-krasue.jpg
72KB, 770x897px
>>49229368

Keep the weaknesses, because weaknesses are cool.

Or better yet just do REAL Old School Vamps.
>>
>>49264972
>Chocolate, I remember when they first invented chocolate. Sweet sweet chocolate...
>I ALWAYS HATED IT!
>>
The confusion over vampiric weaknesses is interesting. They're inspired by beliefs that don't make sense to us anymore, which fits with Bram Stoker's story where the conflict between the supernatural and rationality is a big theme. For the first part of the story Jonathan Harker thinks he's going mad, and when Dracula comes to London he can act efficiently because no one suspect a thing. Then Van Helsing comes along and turns the tide against Dracula, because he's studied him and can ue that knowledge against him.

So my preference is that for outright fantasy settings, the vampires have tons of weaknesses because the gods hate them and being soulless undead, they don't have the protection against the supernatural fucking them up: they can't cross running water or enter a house uninvited because there are magical boundaries everywhere.

For horror settings the rules should be arbitrary and at first unpredictable. Vampires don't make sense, that's part of the point. Their presence means rationality has deserted the place and the protagonists are trapped in a world that runs on magical thinking and primal fears.

If the setting is just "vampires exist, but nothing else", I prefer them to have few traditional weaknesses but almost no powers. The focus should be on how being a minority of unaging parasites force them to hide but also give them the experience needed to be dangerous if the situation is worth the exposure.
>>
>>49246437
>>49246799
Must be annoying when you're chasing a peasant, but you're suddenly stopped by a river on the other side of the world.
>>
>>49266247
>vampire goes outside
>reflected sunlight on the moon wrecks his shit
>goes out during a moonless night
>has to count all the stars then the grass then the rocks then the...
>>
File: puzzlemaster.jpg (94KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
puzzlemaster.jpg
94KB, 400x300px
>>49231440
>Hershel Layton: Vampire Hunter
>>
>>49264169
hit them with napalm, they go up like a scented candle
>>
>>49266801
using this quote
>>
>>49240591
Which is funny, because the "sunlight kills vampires" thing started in the early 20th century with the Hammer Horror films.
>>
>>49231807
He had soil from the (probably desecrated) chapel of his castle, where he and the Brides slept. It lets them get actually restful sleep and protects them from the paralysis crossing moving water causes.
>>
>>49234289
Originally, Staking just immobilized. Made the complicated process of putting them down easier.
>>
>>49270398
>>49234289
Stun, stake, decapitate, stuff, burn, and bury. A mantra from a LARP I was involved in.

'Stuff' is 'shove garlic down its throat,' but that doesn't flow as well.
>>
>>49271182
You could replace "stuff" with garnish. Bit more whimsical.
>>
>>49229368
>>49229516
>In Bram Stoker's Dracula, the count only lost his powers in sunlight and got stabbed dead.
>Then you have the other plethora of weaknesses, like getting ill from of sight/smell of garlic, having to count small things like rice ( eastern vampires and some from Carpathians ), not being allowed to enter residence without being invited, not being able to cross running water, having strong distaste for organized religion...

And let's not forget the most important part: vampires are the servants of evil!

Dracula is like a sinister force of nature, a dark "warmage" of Satan.
A monster, an abomination.
He shouldn't even exist, his unlife is pure blasphemy.

Nowadays every vampire is just a human with a hunger for blood.
That's why the whole genre has become boring.

You can understand vampires, you can even befriend them... not in the case of the original Dracula.
He IS evil.
>>
>>49272270
Even the original dracula had some good points, mainly he still loved his wife enough to obsess over her reincarnation. However indeed more people need to do vampires as the blackguards of the undead.

Thats the flaw with stuff that infects others, there is always a chance a good person just got unlucky.
>>
>>49230751
But Alucard was weak against sunlight.
>>
>>49254566
Running water, being invited, crossroads

Boundaries are another weakness. I think it's something to do with being between life and death, but boundaries are one of the classic weakness categories.
>>
>>49272302
A lot of people treat it as inherently corrupting. Or straight up makes you a literally soulless monster.

It's one of the points that always annoyed me about Buffy. Angel always went on and on about all the horrible things he did that he cannot make up for, but they knew damn well he did those things because he had no soul. When he has a soul he obviously isn't inclined to rape, pillage, and murder his way around the world. By their own rules he absolutely is not responsible for anything he does as Angelus because the part of him that makes moral choices is 404 Not Found.

I'm not saying guilt doesn't make sense and the memories of his actions would drive most people to years of therapy, but acting like his actions are sins weighing down his soul, which wasn't even present at the time said sins were committed, was always stupid.
>>
Vampires are mystical creatures with extreme willpower, so much that they unwillingly change their reality.

Fire and sunlight are common, deadly weaknesses, but apart from those a vampire's weaknesses only are those he gives to himself
>>
>>49229368
Here's an idea. The vampires gain more power the more weaknesses they allow themselves to have. Or they gain more as they grow older but exponentially more powerful.
>>
>>49272617
Its still pretty terrifying to know that without your conscience holding you back you're a complete fucking monster.
>>
File: KNEE ASS BITE.jpg (83KB, 736x915px) Image search: [Google]
KNEE ASS BITE.jpg
83KB, 736x915px
>>
>>49265726
>>49254566
>>49237612

the evilness of a vampire is countered by holy or purifying things, that seems reasonable
>>
>>49272868
True, but at the same time a pretty obvious scenario. Remove all conscience and morality and and end result will be someone who doesn't care about right or wrong. Add in the superiority they feel over their enhanced physical abilities and the constant thirst for human blood and it's a recipe for shit going down.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDGBm4AHhE
Vampire Hunter D did vampires pretty alright.
>>
>>49272879
>vampires are automatically evil
>>
>>49229368
Vampires aren't allowed, the only monsters the liberal establishment will allow us are white cis males.
>>
>>49272879
The no reflection thing is because vampires have no soul to reflect. That's why they also don't cast shadows in sunlight - a soul is opaque to sunlight.
>>
>>49276567
You're not fooling anyone, lick.
>>
>>49238727
Do they get triggered so bad they can't fight?
>>
>>49254374
Hataraku Maou-sama
>>
>>49231440
>>49231689
An excellent idea. I like it.

>>49254991
>>49266707
One does not fuck with Professor Hershel Layton.
>>
>>49276844
>objects have souls
>>
>>49281018
they are part of the real world, they are not abominations wrought of evil. As such, they do in a way, at least in comparison to oldschool vamps
>>
>>49272270
Scholomance is suspicion, not exact fact. He can be befriended; he accepted Renfield and kept animals with free will.

>>49272302
That's not Draculas motivation, it's a film/ravenloft addition. He just kept a harem, and they offered a buffer of protection when their caskets were opened before his own; would be slayers delay at their beauty.
>>
>>49281018
I prefer Platonic souls as an extension/aberration of his Theory of Forms. Every object has a Form, a concept of what it should be, its fundamental qualities, the idea and ideal of the object itself, but which don't truly exist in our world of substance except in flawed representations.

The soul of the table laments that it is wobbly and also those stains you made on the surface.
>>
>>49281151
>He can be befriended; he accepted Renfield and kept animals with free will.
Did he? He killed Renfield and I was under the impression the animals were his slaves/himself transformed.
>>
How come they're rarely detailed as climbing along walls like lizards? The control of fog/weather is understated too.
>>
>>49281174
Renfield betrayed his master and after he let him eat all those tasty bugs, too, like a true bro.
>>
>>49281174
The rats seemed to be, but the dog was clearly free.
>>
>>49281230
>How come they're rarely detailed as climbing along walls like lizards?
It looks kind of random and ridiculous for vampires that don't share the traditional powers, and vampires who do can just turn into a bat.
>>
>>49281230
first is probably because they're assumed to simply jump because they're strong and fast, the second, probably because fog isn't as frightening to people these days

I'm only guessing though
>>
>>49281281
Yeah, but in the traditional medieval fantasy setting a boat would be helpless, like it was in the novel.
>>
>>49229368
Depends on whether you're playing as them or against them.

Against them: Should, because don't want HEY I STAKED HIM TROUHG THE HEART HE OTTA BE DED WOT IS THIS BULLSHIT

As them: Should not, because of MUH SPECIAL MARY SUE SNOWFLAK VAMPYR
>>
>>49281230
>Boris Karloff spying on Rutger Hauer in a bathing suit, by MC Escher.jpg
>>
>>49249747
I don't remember any of the original Dracula bluff having that.

Vampires were a thing before Dracula, you know.
>>
>>49283169
van helsing implied that he was the strongest and/or the original, or otherwise some kind of proginator, instead of the usual human-to-vamp turning, or at least that was how I interpreted it
>>
>>49283269
>>49283169
Dracula wasn't JUST a vampire, he was cursed into undeath.

That's as different as a person being infected with lycanthropy and growing fangs/claws during the full moon, and someone who is cursed with lycanthropy, who shape shift into full fledged wolves during the full moon.

Depending on the exact material you are reading, he either curses himself into undeath because his wife committed suicide (there's no point in going to heaven because she won't be there, so why not walk the earth forever?) or he is cursed by one of his various enemies (the christfags hated him because he was raised by the Ottomons as a political prisoner to ensure his fathers loyalty, and the Ottomons hated him because he refused to convert to their Carbombya religion)
>>
>>49286260
While curse over some kind of infection has more mythological portent, and within a fictional setting perhaps that's all that matters, there's really no practical difference.

I don't know. There's a bit in fiction, maybe because it feels more mythological, that the first of something is alway the best and most powerful iteration. That everything that comes after it is a cheap knockoff. It certainly doesn't tend to work that way in nature, and there's nothing that requires it do so in fiction.
>>
>>49287725
Yes, you're quite right.

I suppose I just like the mental image of someone trying to punish Vlad in the worst way possible and it all ends up backfiring horribly because he becomes even more powerful than before. They end up forging an indestructible undead master of death and vengeance with the keen mind of a soldier who is a master of strategy and tactics that led his soldiers to victory countless times before treachery and betrayal struck him down.

But I am kind of biased, because I was exposed to the "real" Count Dracula: Vladimir Dracula Voivode of Wallachia, in a kind of historically accurate movie when I was younger. Long before I became aware of the fictional vampire Dracula.

Dracula in my mind will always be a hero of his people, who fought and died protecting his lands from an invading army of massive proportions. Basically a Romanian Leonidas.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is iconic and a masterpiece. But it will never hold the same interest for me as the potential vampire that could have been born from a character that was historically accurate to the true Vlad.

I wish I could remember the name of that movie. I would love to see it again, now that I am an adult.
>>
I interpreted all weaknesses as sexual, really. Can only go out in the night because sex is for the night. Drinking blood is a metaphor for sex. Can't enter the house without permission because you have to, essentially, give them consent. They're like coercive rapists. If you give them one yes, you can't take it back, even if they're then killing you.
>>
>>49230751
Anon, I'm pretty sure you're talking about Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate, but it is a very common name.

Please specify.
>>
>>49288173
I think there is something to be said about the firstborn being strong, especially with vampires. Usually when Dracula is shown to pass on his curse in fiction he creates lesser vampires, which makes perfect sense. You make lesser lieutenants who are less likely to rival you.

Then of course there are systems where the older the vampire (or whatever supernatural being is involved) the more powerful, which couples well with immortals. Older dragons tend to be wiser and more powerful and you don't generally have them complain about arthritis in their wings or their cataracts. I mean it sometimes happen, but not too often.
>>
>>49288336
>old as fuck vampire chilling with his best friend who is an old as balls dragon
>they occasionally stop gossiping like old hens to yell at the younger dragons/vampires who dare trespass in the courtyard of their quaint old crumbly castle.
>>
File: 1471246345781.png (287KB, 372x564px) Image search: [Google]
1471246345781.png
287KB, 372x564px
>>49229368
The idea of making vampires with no real weakness is older than the traditional idea of vampires, anyway. It's nothing to be proud of seeing how often they're ignored in modern fiction, anyway.

In a world with nothing new under the Sun, it's better to just go with what you like rather than trying to please everybody.
>>
>>49288682
I think it can be a great idea if traditional weaknesses are done in a modern twist. Like vampires who reach a certain age have progressed to a power level that will instantaneously combust their corporeal bodies if they don't constantly work at keeping it under control.

The best way to do this is through rituals that rely on repetitive motions. Basically the metaphysical equivalent of muscle memory. But the drawback of this is that it develops into an obsessive compulsive disorder. All older vampires have it, it is simply a matter of degree.

The mental image of a vampire so old and powerful that their only weakness is their own mind is cool, plus it can be hilarious as well.

Just imagine the most powerful vampire to ever exist. Now imagine them filling their coffin room with cute adorable plushies. Each day they have to sleep in their coffin with one of the plushies. They are categorized and selected by species of plushy (bear, cat, dog, penguin...) size, and color.

If the vampire in question doesn't rise with the correct one cuddled to their chest then every corpse in every cemetery for miles around automatically rises as a flesh eating zombie and goes on a rampage through all the local towns.
>>
>>49288641
That's oddly endearing.

Makes me think about how the immortal monsters will deal with the march of progress. I'm imagining Dracula struggling to figure how how to check his new email (it only took 12 guys out to hook up his home phone internet bundle since the first 11 had "incidents" and oh what the hell so did the twelfth guy too). Then he spends two weeks arguing with tech support because he can't figure out why his new camera phone won't capture his image, obviously the damn thing is broken.

"Note to self. Find the Can You Hear Me Now Guy and suck his ass dry!"

Annnnd he was still on the phone when he said it because he has trouble remembering how to turn the damn thing off. The laughter didn't set him in a good mood. The camera bit is really starting to bug him because it turns out the online dating sites refuse to accept woodcuts.

Must be depressing. Every day he checks the news and sees the world falling deeper into shit, realizing that despite his immortality he's still locked to his food supply which seems hellbent on pushing the planet to the brink of their own annihilation and beyond.
>>
>>49288801
Oh my gawd, anon!

I have never laughed so hard in my life!

I think I love you!
>>
>>49240591
Is that true? Blade Trilogy (I mean Blade IS the Daywalker and bonus points for the engineered super vamps having it as their only vulnerability...well unless you could pierce the added bone protection around their hearts). Daybreakers. I am Legend. The Underworld flicks with werewolves developing ultraviolet bullets. Though the actual movie Ultraviolet had wacky vampires called hemophages. Sensitive to light but fine with sunglasses.

Sensitivity to light may very but it's certainly still a major factor in fighting them.

Odd how all of those examples are vampires in modern day.
>>
>>49288250
and the garlic and silver is... what?
>>
>>49292507
Not him but... Garlic is people who don't wash, you know, down there? Untarnished silver is virgins, the bad kind with neckbeards rather than silk nightgowns. Tarnished silver is filthy std whores, or neckbeards WITH silk nightgowns.
Thread posts: 237
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.