[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else really sick of the neowalkers personality cult that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 30

File: ohlook.png (204KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
ohlook.png
204KB, 265x370px
Anyone else really sick of the neowalkers personality cult that currently monopolizes mtg lore?

>over 9000 Jaces, Chandras and Lilianas with some kind of silly "epic" title (torch of defiance, living guildpact, etc)
>flavor text is often some snarky irrelevant comment they made
>even non planeswalker cards sometimes have their names (e.g Chandras's outrage)
>there are legendary cards featuring their fucking family members (dad, mom, sister, etc)
>at least two of these chucklefucks planeswalk into every new goddamn set, no exceptions

think I might be quitting this game soon
>>
>flavor text is often some snarky irrelevant comment they made
It's still not as bad as Weatherlight saga.
Every single fucking card
>"Pithy quip!"
>- Gerrard Capashen of the Skyship Weatherlight, to some fuck-off nobody cares about
>>
>>49226737
Hasn't it been going this way since like Lorwyn? Even Alara had Ajani, Vengeant and Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. In what sense are those not like the titles you dislike? This has been going on for like nine years. Why are you upset now?

As for flavortext, >>49226808 has it. It's not a new problem. Some of the description of the set is bound to be less awesome than the rest. Deal with it B^)
>>
File: 122.jpg (52KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
122.jpg
52KB, 312x445px
>>49226808

It's even worse right now IMO. The weatherlight saga at least often had good quotes. Neowalkers quotes are bad 95% of the times.
>>
This is the one thing you can honestly blame Maro for.
>>
File: 122.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
122.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
wow nice quote Chandra I'm so impressed at how you set everything on fire and that's the whole of your personality and we're supposed to be impressed, good job
>>
>>49226932
In what sense are Chandra and Jaya Ballard quotes not interchangeable?
>>
File: 1426650635804.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1426650635804.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>49226737
Oh boy this thread again.

>>over 9000 Jaces, Chandras and Lilianas with some kind of silly "epic" title (torch of defiance, living guildpact, etc)
>>at least two of these chucklefucks planeswalk into every new goddamn set, no exceptions
>think I might be quitting this game soon
They are the face of magic and have been for a long time. They are always going to have the Jacetice League represented in its entirety in Standard. If this is reason enough for you to leave the game, then leave, because it's not changing.
>>flavor text is often some snarky irrelevant comment they made
The people like snark. Flavortext is an occasional "heh" to most people.
>>even non planeswalker cards sometimes have their names (e.g Chandras's outrage)
What is Urborg, Gerrard's Verdict, Treva's Charm, Urzalands, etc.
>>there are legendary cards featuring their fucking family members (dad, mom, sister, etc)
Absolutely nothing wrong with this.
>>
File: Abjure.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Abjure.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>>49226904
No, it is not yet worse right now. Believe me.
>>
>>49226952

Jaya wasn't given nearly as much spotlight as Chandra. If you're going to give that much of a fuck about a character it's better if she's not completely shallow, like most neowalkers are.
>>
File: skeletor.jpg (42KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
skeletor.jpg
42KB, 480x270px
>>49226904
This one sounds like a quote from He-Man.
>>
>>49226904
Will we ever get a new garruk?
Will he be perma-banned because of the "rape" card?
Find out next episode of "damn it maro!"!
>>
>>49226965

I unironically believe they'll eventually make Jace their leader and he'll become king faggot of all neowalkers. Not in a de facto sense as he currently is, but in actual, cerimonial fashion.
>>
File: 122.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
122.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>49226965

I admit that's pretty bad, but still.
>>
>>49226737
They're doing The Avengers wrong.
The MCU gave us 3 Iron Man appereances in 5+ years, they're printing 3 Chandras this year.

As usual, trens are set, and riders at the coat tails will look ridiculous by following them.
>>
>>49227066
People always say this, but Garruk was the face of a core set years after Triumph of Ferocity was a thing.
>>
>>49226965
>Jaycetes league is the face of magic
Sure, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. I think all of the Jacycetes league has been printed too much and shouldn't be taking center stage. They aren't very interesting characters, not all grouped together like this.
If they each had their own separate arches I think I'd enjoy them more. I liked the character development Lili got in Eldritch. It was entertaining to see her struggle with the chain veil and see her aragent, shallow, fight with Emmy.
I think they'd all be more interesting on their own instead of clumped together. I'd love to see Jayce try to deal with Ravnika political bull shit.
I also just want new walkers to be a bigger focus in new planes.
>>
pyrogenius

really?

Also does Kaladesh actually have a plot or is it just Indian Steampunk
>>
>>49227392
Indian steampunk fair, with filigree retard and revolution.
>>
>>49227392
Tezzeret's around as one of the head judges of the fair, apparently, and we know that there's some sort of rebellion brewing against the ruling class.
>>
File: c4rd4r7_S2qwxrfLIE.jpg (329KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_S2qwxrfLIE.jpg
329KB, 850x500px
>>49227392
Plot is only just beginning to get underway. It seems there's a rebellion lead by Chandra's mother, who turns out to be alive after all, and they're opposing Tezzeret who turns out to be one of the officials during a Kaladeshi event.
>>
>>49226904
Remember Ertai?
>>
>>49227420
This block is literally going to be Occupy Kaladesh with a side order of TERRRISM. The good guys are all female, the bad guys are all male, and the side characters have lesbian marriages. This block could not left-wing any harder if it tried.
>>
>>49227374
>They aren't very interesting characters
are you talking about the Gatewatch, or MtG characters in general
>not all grouped together like this.
only actually happened in the set about forming the Gatewatch.
Innistrad was 95% only Jace and Lilliana. This suggest that it's more likely Kaladesh with be only the 3 members we've seen, or the others only show up at the very end, not that all 5 will be present all the time.
>>
>>49227453
Liliana doesn't seem even mildly interested about what she saw.
What boring thing is she actually pointing at?
>>
>>49227374
Being all grouped together is a great chance for character development or just character dynamic between them in general. If your concern is how good the characters are, they definitely have more potential together than alone. The characters are also deceptively deep. Chandra is genuinely one note as as Nissa even though she did technically have an interesting arc. Even Liliana who is notoriously badly written and portrayed in flavor text actually is a great idea for a character at least. Jace is a generally good character as well that often gets misconstrued because of shitty flavor text but he has great motivations and the way his character has developed and acts makes perfect sense even if it's never actually written well. Gideon is kind of the same issue as liliana and nissa, interesting idea for a character and great back story but their identifying personality trait and role in the five man band is often played up so hard that it doesn't really matter or inform the things they do, though I believe Liliana is above all the worst for this.
>>
>>49227533
It's not terrorism if you win
T. Nelson Mandela
>>
>>49227555
At that exact moment, she's casually pointing the hooded figure (Tezzeret) out to Chandra.
Exact line is
>"Conspicuously inconspicuous, don't you think?"
They then accost him and learn he is Tezzeret and the scene ends on a cliffhanger.
>>
>>49226737
>play game
>ignore lore
Problem Solved.
>>
>Gatewatch decides to go to one of the more stable planes and cause trouble because of a tiny bit of oppression
>Meanwhile, there is a plane of literal cancer trying to infect everything in the multiverse
>>
>>49226808
Bullshit it's not as bad. Even if you want to argue that it's just as bad, it's fucking worse because they haven't improved in the years since weatherlight. They're still doing the same shit, it's just now they've said "Oh yeah we're doing this formula for every set from now on." They have failed to learn from the mistakes they not only made but admitted to making. It's like watching a kid burn his hand on the stove, say "Oh shit, better not do that again," and proceed to sit on top of the fucking burner with a smile on his face like "You like this, right?"
>>
File: Hurloon Shaman.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Hurloon Shaman.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>49227686
There is no card you can show me that would convince me it is that bad yet.
You simply don't adequately remember or know how awful Weatherlight saga was.
>>
>>49227669
the first UR for Kaladesh literally had Jace stating outright that they don't roll out for non-Planeswalker problems. The gals are just there because Chandra's having a big emotional moment.
>>
>>49227686
Except that making having characters make snarky quips on flavor text hasn't and isn't going to have the same kind of effects, neither short nor long, as a kid sticking his hand and then his ass on a hot burner. Not even in a general sense. Jace feigning interest for the billionth time on the flavor text of a magic card isn't going to irrevocably hurt the game. Why do people even bother making analogies.
>>
>>49227732
Analogies aren't equation, and the flavor text isn't what I'm talking about. It's the fucking story, the characters coming back every set, every set having the same tired "then the same good guys show up and beat the bad people." Every character introduced will play second fiddle to or join the jacetice league, every major problem will be solved by them, and we'll wallow in jace and Chandra cards forever. They went the marvel route.
>>
>>49227789
> They went the marvel route.
so the route of a successful company that's making a lot of money.

Would you prefer they went the DC route where they tried to be dark and serious and made film after film that people hated till they finally decided they needed to make one fun fill, but by that point were on fucking Suicide Squad, the film that actually could have been justified being dark.
>>
>>49227420
I thought Bolas zapped Tezzeret?
>>
>>49227789
>and the flavor text isn't what I'm talking about
>>49227686
>>>49226808
>Bullshit it's not as bad.
>>49226808
>>flavor text is often some snarky irrelevant comment they made
>It's still not as bad as Weatherlight saga.

>Analogies aren't equation
No, but it doesn't take a genius to know that a kid intentionally burning themselves on a stovetop is not even close to some card game suits making flavor text they think is clever and hilarious but not really for an analogy.
>>
Bring back Urza
>>
>>49227846
That book has been ejected from canon for introducing bullshit time travel.
>>
>>49227840
I'd prefer they went the route they were on between weatherlight and the open acknowledgment and choice to create the jacetice league.

I understand it makes money, I'm saying it's not good for the people playing the game.

>>49227854
How is someone making a mistake, acknowledging it, and then doing the same mistake but worse not EXACTLY what's happened? They said they focused too much on a core cast of characters and story with Weatherlight and now they've said every block for the foreseeable future will involve the Gatewatch. My analogy wasn't made to be clever, it was made to illustrate a point. A point that stands regardless of your feelings about said analogy, though why you feel strongly about it either way is beyond me.
>>
>>49227453
That dress makes you look fat, Lili.
>>
>>49227900
Why I "feel strongly" about it (which I wouldn't say that I do) is because the point its meant to illustrate isn't whats happening. Wizards isnt painfully and irrevocably hurting themselves by doing this, getting told not to do it by someone (which doesn't work because wizards gets feedback in a very rough and nonspecific way that it's hard to only recieve one message), and then continue doing it out of sheer spite which I'm sure is many realms removed from whatever reason it is they keep having bad writing despite however victimized you may feel. I didn't say you made it to be clever, but I am saying it is both extremely hyperbolic and also doesn't even work for the comparison it was made for it.
>>
>>49227453
LOOKING PRETTY CONSPICUOUSLY INCONSPICUOUS THERE, TEZZERET
>>
>>49227900
>I'd prefer they went the route they were on between weatherlight and the open acknowledgment and choice to create the jacetice league.
You do remember what that was actually like right?
I mean there were moments of good like Chainers Torment, but most of it was bleh or wtf with characters we didn't give a shit about because they had no time to develop and they were more interested in getting the story forward than spending time to develop them.

>They said they focused too much on a core cast of characters and story with Weatherlight and now they've said every block for the foreseeable future will involve the Gatewatch.
because you are confusing, "will involve" with "will be focused around".
The only set completely focused around the Gatewatch characters was the set they established the damn gatewatch.

SoI was mainly the story of Sorin and Nihari, with Jace trying to figure out what was going on. Gatewatch didn't do anything big until the very fucking end.
>>
>it was always bad
and how is this a good defense?

how about wondering if wotc can make it not bad
>>
>>49227979
They may not have done much that block, but the point is they will be in every single block from here on out, and their numbers will grow every block. They will inevitably be the focus of blocks.
>>49227974
I already explained what elements of my analogy compare to my point. The rest is you interpreting it incorrectly and continuing to argue against a vehicle for my point, and not my point itself. I'm not interested.
>>
>>49227979
Torment was my first book and one of my first sets. I was pretty disappointed when I found out how much of a shitshow everything else was.
>>
>>49226737
Personally I am just glad that the conflict of this set is more personal and character focused. I'm getting pretty bored of giant space monsters.
>>
>>49228061
I wasn't arguing your point, fair enough (that writing hasn't improved). If you had good reading comprehension you'd have seen that
>whatever reason it is they keep having bad writing.
But I made what I was taking issue with very clear from the start so if you weren't interested you should have said that up front instead of waiting until told exactly how your analogy falls apart. I'm also pretty sure I'm not "interpreting it incorrectly".
>>
>>49228157
I comprehend what you're saying, I just question why you're saying it when it has no relevance to the discussion or thread. It honestly baffles me.
> I'm also pretty sure I'm not "interpreting it incorrectly".
My analogy is shit, fine, but the point it conveys stands, regardless of how well you feel it communicates it. Can we talk about something that matters now?
>>
>>49228188
Remember my first post was just an offhand comment at hwo shit the analogy was. You just felt like you had to go on and defend it and that lead to this. I neither wanted nor felt like it was necessary for it to go on more than my initial post
>>
>>49227199
That's not really any different than any of the dozens of Jaya Ballard, Task Mage flavor texts.
>>
>>49228228
>I neither wanted nor felt like it was necessary for it to go on more than my initial post
Then why have you replied to every post I've made about it?
>>
>>49226737
All mtg needs is a good writer.

Countless properties were considered sub tier until some talent injected fresh breath and life into it

Swamp Thing, Animal Man, The Justice Society,Flash,Green Lantern,(multiple times for those last two), Sandman, Animal Man, The Seven Soldiers,Daredevil,Batman, The Avengers, The X-Men, Doom Patrol,Teen Titans,Transformers, Flintstones,Omega Men,Marvelman/Miracle Batgirl, Justice Leauge, Shade the Changing Man, Starman,Blue Beetle, Dick Grayson and many more all of them were total shit/d list at some point before a new team revived them.

All it takes is a strong creative vision and great art can be made from even the weakest source.

Flowers from manure .
>>
>>49228387
You listed Animal Man twice, and based on your list I sincerely hope that you don't mean Morrison's run when you refer to Batman
>>
>>49228387
like pottery
>>
>>49228387
Also
>Frank Quitely
>Great art
Pick one and only one
>>
If flavor text is the reason you're leaving then fine by me. It's not bad for there to be consistent characters in a game franchise.
>>
>>49227602
>Who are you?!
>Excuse me?
>YOU! WHO ARE YOU?!
>I am none of your concern. Let me be.
>LIAR! GRAB HIS CLOAK!
>Unhand me!
>Crowd gasps
>I am Tezzeret... I am judging the fair and I had HOPED to be able to spend some time about the city without being gawked at.
>HEY I BET YOU'RE UP TO SOMETHING! THE REBELS SAID BAD THINGS ABOUT STUFF AND REBELS ARE ALWAYS TRUSTWORTHY HEROES!
>I should have never left my workshop this morning.
>>
>>49228429
>Consistent
Then why are flavor text Jace and story Jace two completely different characters? Why did one of the more recent story articles have all of the Gatewatch members acting inconsistently with pretty much any other appearance they've ever made? I agree that flavor text is a silly reason to leave the game but if you're going to try to defend the writing as anything other than z-list dreck you're wrong
>>
>>49228502
What I mean is that the Canon states that planeswalkers, you know, walk between planes. Each block is usually set in its own little bit of the planeverse (or whatever it's called) cut away from anything else. It's nice having one or two familiar planeswalkers in every block sprinkled in with new ones.
>>
>>49227374
>I think they'd all be more interesting on their own instead of clumped together. I'd love to see Jayce try to deal with Ravnika political bull shit.
They're following the Marvel Model. Eventually, yes, they're going to pump the breaks on the main5 a little, but until then, you're just going to have to put up with ensemble casts. Heck it wasn't even that bad in SOI, pretty much just Jace, Tammy, Sorin, Nahiri, and Avacyn n Friends.
>>
>>49228502
story Jace has about 1000% more words used to describe his character. Card Jace is the 'face' of blue and as such really isn't allowed to look weak or uncool in his depictions of cards.

Wizards also has an unhealthy boner for "snarky remark - important character to rando he just buttfucked with magic" as oppose to describing the planeswalker doing something cool or impressive.
>>
>>49228695
NOW WITH MORE QUIPS
>>
Oh boy are we talking about flavour text?
>>
>>49227311
As a psycho monster villain you were literally meant to beat up. The pre-release gimmick was the equivalent of a Garruk piñata.
>>
File: Image.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>49228779
The king
>>
>>49228779
>Sorin is finally gone for an extended amount of time

Feels good man, sometimes WOTC really does get it right
>>
>>49227840
How about following their own route?
Hasbro hasn't had a single success by following trends, all their successes are from setting trends themselves.
They need to fire everyone who wish they were at Marvel and start hiring people who want to be at WotC.
>>
>>49227903
Yes, the dress needs to go, then again Chandra put on pants so Kaladesh may be the retrograde sex-negative shithole full of minorities that SJWs have wet dreams about.
>>
>>49228459

Actually it's more that Tezz was doing shady things to find the the renegade leader. Then there's an explosion, which Chandra and Lili investigate because they want to help the renegades. Lili points out the cloaked dude, the cloaked dude calls out the renegade leader, the renegade calls out the cloaked figure as the head judge, Lili calls out the judge as being Tezz, and Chandra calls out the leader as her mom.
>>
I'm willing to put down a decent bet that a couple years down the line, Wizards will announce a new non-rotating format starting at Battle for Zendikar, ie. the start of the Gatewatch. It'll basically be Modern, but really fucking slow and boring. They won't start at the M15 border change for multiple reasons, namely 1) it excludes fetchlands, 2) it excludes Delve, 3) it means there's a random 3 set block when the rest are 2, and 4) they have a raging erection over the Gatewatch. The format will probably be named "Gatewatch Era" or something stupid like that.
>>
>>49228945
I want it badly to be the rebels and mom are just being anarchistic twats
mostly because I want the gatewatch to continue fucking everything up for everyone and still parade like they're the biggest heroes to ever exist
>>
>>49229226
Well so far their only achievement is ruining the multiverse's cycle of rebirth because of "muh fee-fees".
>>
>>49229023
>BFZ
>Not Origins
They literally named it for you.
>>
>>49228387

As a denizen of /co/, some of those you listed weren't actually things that got ressurected by a good writer (Shade, Marvelman. Seven Soldiers) but instead just created whole cloth. Most of the rest were Z-list characters, the kind no one cares what happens with, so the writers threw out literally everything and started over, and a great many of them are arguable as to if they can even be considered good, like Dick Grayson or Batgirl.

It's not flowers from manure, it's flowers from a corpse. If you want to apply the same logic to the Jacetice League, you basically have to throw out everything, and start it over. Jacetice League goes up Bolas and he wrecks them, as he does, begins doing evil stuff. Ugin mobilizes the other "good" planeswalkers to stop him, and have each block be about one of his plots and one of the neowalkers, Like Kiora vs. a new Riptide project, with a slightly bigger monster than Slivers to clone, or Domri Rade stopping Bolas from sending dinosaurs from Mugarandu to other planes. Throw in a few other villains now and then for shits and giggles, like Emrakul, or Niv Mizzzet.
>>
>>49227107
...but Gideon is the leader
>>
>>49228822
Sorin was one of the only good things about the lore and they've shoved him in a closet to focus on the Jacetice league because we can't have anything cool or interesting stealing the spotlight. Expect Tezzeret to be similarly put on a bus
>>
I like the guilds and stuff but I couldn't care less about planeswalkers.
They're not fun to play with or against imo.
>>
So how long until Karn comes calling to let them know the multiverse has a bit of an oil leak going on
>>
>>49227107
He and Gideon are already the leaders. In the sense each of them thinks they are in charge

>>49227249
Is not a 1:1.

Star Trek was used as a better analogy of the structure of a single crew world hopping.
>>
>>49227669
None of the Gatewatch are aware of New Phyrexia.
>>
>>49227720
Come on, that's actually pretty funny.
>>
>>49228061
>But the point is a...
A bunch of bullshit you have Zero evidence for.
You don't know that they will be the focus for every block, rather than the interlocutors who present us our insight into the block from a well know perspective.
You don't know they are going to keep adding members.

You have Zero evidence and are complaining about shit that is likely not even true.
>>
The problem with the Neowalker Five is that they are all incredibly bland. They are very obviously meant to be caricatures of the colors they represent, and so they come off as stiff and wooden mockeries of a fleshed out character. That their appearance comes across as vaguely similar to the Power Rangers (just because you are a blue mage, do you really need to wear blue head to toe?), adds to this.

WotC has added interesting planeswalkers before. The problem is, they chose the safest and blandest characters to represent the game, and I've never seen anyone actively praise WotC for these characters.

At best, players are apathetic. At worst, you get the Gerrard Syndrome going, and everything will need to end in an Invasion-styled mass-character death scenario.
>>
>>49229884
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/146514271673/blocks-will-involve-anywhere-from-one-to-all-of#notes
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/146512253968/will-the-full-gateway-be-appearing-in-every-block
>>
>>49229884
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/146514271673/blocks-will-involve-anywhere-from-one-to-all-of#notes
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/146512253968/will-the-full-gateway-be-appearing-in-every-block
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/146634949913/should-we-expect-to-see-at-least-one-member-of-the
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/148204461613/im-really-sorry-for-double-asking-but-i-meant-as
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/147522200228/when-it-comes-to-the-gatewatch-my-main-concern-is
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/147505699158/i-think-the-main-complaint-on-the-whole-nothing
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/136973929583/so-the-gatewatch-is-magics-avengers-or-justice

Admittedly I can't find the thing about a new member every block, so I probably got that wrong, but tumblr's search function is borked so who knows.
>>
File: They Will Never Know.png (39KB, 848x650px) Image search: [Google]
They Will Never Know.png
39KB, 848x650px
>tfw I wish the story would wind up with the Jacetice league about to lose to Nical Bolas when suddenly Karn, Freyalise, Teferi, Jhoira and the rest of Urza's mates would show up and be the cool OG planeswalker Avengers.
>>
>>49230626
>Jhoira
>Planeswalker

I love ol Jhoira, but she's never been a Walker, just nearly immortal.
>>
File: furiousreprisal.jpg (56KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
furiousreprisal.jpg
56KB, 265x370px
>>49226808
I don't know man, this one is awful.
>>49226737
I really enjoy the edge level on some cards vs how unbelievably underwhelming the actual card is.
>>
>>49230626
Pretty sure Freyalise is dead. Jhoira was a normal human, so she's probably dead by now. Teferi lost his spark some time ago, so he could be dead too, but he has time magic, so who the fuck knows?
>>
>>49231467
Freyalise indeed died during the Time Spiral Crisis.
Jhoira is a nonwalker, but is functionally unaging due to Tolarian Bullshit. She could well be around still, hanging around with the sparkless Teferi.
Besides, you forgot one other detail about >>49230626 's post that is wrong. Urza didn't have 'mates'. He had resources that happened to be sapient, most of whom hated his guts for that very fact.
I think the only one who had a positive opinion of Urza in any way shape or form from Invasion onwards is Karn.
>>
File: Urza's rage.jpg (103KB, 620x462px) Image search: [Google]
Urza's rage.jpg
103KB, 620x462px
>>49231612
Urza did nothing wrong and did what he had to do to rid the multiverse of the greatest threat it had ever seen.
>>
>>49226737
Yeah, I blame the influence of anime. It sucks.
>>
>>49231673
>anime
>not capeshit
lol
>>
File: 1446954727355.png (492KB, 454x546px) Image search: [Google]
1446954727355.png
492KB, 454x546px
>>49229568
>Everyone leaves Kaladesh after this set
>Run into Karn
>Tells them a list of planes he's been on
>Kaladesh is one of them
>everyones face when
>>
>>49229299
Actually to go full co again this is less like Avengers and more like Batman the Brave and The Bold . You have you main a list guy(Batman/Gatewatch member) then they team up with a special guest star to deal with that planes specific threat .

BFZ/OGZ was the team origin so we got everyone but Kiora still was the guest star.

Soi/EMN settled more into the formula with a select few Gatewatchers starring (Lilli and Jace) and then a guest star related to the Plane story (Tamiyo)

Kaladesh follows the same formula, with Chandra and Nissa as the Gatewatch with Saheeli as the guest

And Amonkhet seems the follow the pattern with Ajani.

In fact if you look at block ratios of walkers it's pretty even.

BFZ block was 4:2
Soi was 2:4
Kaladesh looks to be 2:4 as well.

The Gatewatch tend to be the minority characters.

Three relevant watchers for this block and only two for the last one.

Even Justice Lesuge knew you could rarely focus on EVERY member EVERY episode .

Hell, the story we just came off of had the Gatewatch be next to incidental.
>>
>>49231662
And in the process, also got rid of the SECOND greatest threat the multiverse had ever seen!
>>
>>49231662
>Urza did nothing wrong and did what he had to do to rid the multiverse of the greatest threat it had ever seen.
too bad it came back
>>
File: machine code.jpg (35KB, 262x427px) Image search: [Google]
machine code.jpg
35KB, 262x427px
>>49231844
Everything bad Urza did was in the name of stopping Phyrexia. No Phyrexia and he's just a dude sitting on Dominaria making helicopters
>>
>>49231873
No Phyrexia and Urza becomes the big bad of the multiverse. Wizards has said the only reason that Urza didn't become a super God like Yawgmoth was because Yawgmoth did it first.
>>
>>49231901
This makes me moist.
>>
>>49231873
>>49231901
Besides that there's even a fucking arc where he actually becomes envious of Phyrexians and wants to be like them
>>
>>49231990
does urza do anal with Elesh Norn?
>>
>>49232036
Urza would make a machine powered by a dying sun with the sole purpose to lube his asshole.
>>
File: mSG1f72[1].jpg (82KB, 974x683px) Image search: [Google]
mSG1f72[1].jpg
82KB, 974x683px
>>49232062
>>
>>49226952
Jaya Ballard didn't appear in every single fucking set for the rest of time, it's a matter of dosage.
>>
>>49229940
>>49230476
None of those posts say the blocks will become more focused on the Gatewatch.
None of them say we will see more and more Gatewatch involvement each block.

So I'm not seeing any evidence for your claim that the SoI style will not be what follows for future sets.
>>
>>49232117
>http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/136973929583/so-the-gatewatch-is-magics-avengers-or-justice
>Yes. The Gatewatch are going to be the center of Magic’s story moving forward.
>>
>>49229259
Go to bed, Ugin.
>>
>>49229259
Emmy literally decided it had enough and fucked off to the moon after mindraping Tamiyo for a bit, so that was fun.
>>
>>49231712
>tfw Kaladesh is just Maro being shitty over Phyrexia as the ur-Phyrexiafag, and he's doing it to recreate planar portal tech
>>
>>49232145
Center of magics story, not the center of every story.

SoI's story was mainly Sorin and Majority, but it intersected with Emrakul showing up and bring bound, that's what the Gatewatch delt with.
But that wasn't the entirety of the story. The angels, the order if saint traft, the lunarch Inquisition, the turning if werewolves into allies if the humans under powerful leaders. All of those were major Innistrad stories.

In SoI Jace gave us person to follow in seeing how these stories connect with the larger magic arc. Then in EMN he brings the Gatewatch in to deal with the biggest part of the threat.

But that's it. The rest of the story, which was actually the majority of the story pieces I EMN, didn't involve the Gatewatch.
>>
>he stuck around after they introduced planeswalker cards

You've made your bed
>>
>>49232289
So they're going to be in every block, are modeled off of capeshit they can grow in number, and are the center of MtG's overall story, and you don't think that means they'll be the focus of future blocks? Lol.
>>
>>49227107
Doug Beyer of the creative team already said this at PAX:

"Gideon is the natural leader. But Jace THINKS he is the real leader."
>>
>>49231612
Freyalise died during the invasion when she set a bomb in Urborg.

>>49230626
It's possible old walkers will sometimes wind up collaborating with the Jacetice League. But then again oldwalkers suffer from knowing what it was to life with paranoid gods. Oldwalkers are scared as fuck of other walkers. See: Liliana entering Innistrad and meeting Sorin.
I might see Karn and Elspeth, the Returned Dead collaborating on reclaiming Mirrodin, though. As of now, the Jacetice League is about to meet Ajani.
The story will now get more connected and the Gatewatch is WotCs way to do that. Whether you like it or not, /tg/, the Gatewatch will make the story ultimately more interesting.
>>
>>49226808
Okay, I've seen a lot of shit about the Weatherlight Saga - was it really that bad? I started around apocalypse, and it always seemed cool to me, although I've forgotten most of it.
>>
>>49227563
T. leaders of the American Revolution.
>>
>>49232487
It was bad enough that they had to hire new people to close it out and end Phyrexia, taking Yawgmoth with it. Maro has been forever sandy and salty over his precious being snitched, even though it needed to happen and re-rail profit margins.
>>
File: 196[1].jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
196[1].jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>49232419
A) The bomb was set off in Phyrexia, not Urborg, and is one of the few of the Nine Titans to actually survive that mess.
B) She was alive and well during the Time Spiral block, protecting Skyshroud Forest and trying to control the slivers, up until the point she sacrificed her life to close one of the rifts.

Note the expansion symbol and who the quote is attributed to.
>>
>>49228779
It's really funny how much better the original text is for Mortify, and I fucking like Sorin.

Wish I could have that art with old text, is that a thing people do with proxies often?
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 600x600px
>>49227016
>casting planeswalkers
>>
>>49232531
In all fairness, we barely saw Maro's version of the Weatherlight Saga - it was taken out of his hands after Stronghold, for reasons he hasn't disclosed.
The only things he's said so far are that Crovax and Mirri would've both survived as members of the crew, and that Tahngarth would've been the one Volrath was impersonating, rather than Takara
>>
>>49227003
Did they just take passages from the novels and put them on the cards or something?
>>
>>49232325
>Grow in number
Even you admitted you have no evidence for this.

>Be in every block
>Be the center of Magic's story
Yes, I think they could well be interlocutors introducing us to the plane it's people, and finding out how it ties into the larger Magic story.
Then in the second set we see how that connection does the big thing, and how that effects the lives of the people and places that we've been introduced to, and then the Gatewatch deals with the part of that thing that connects to the bigger story.

In terms of the sets story, the Gatewatch is only a minority involvement, and from the outside.
In terms of how the set is a part of Magic's greater story. That is the place the Gatewatch is at the Center
>>
>>49232547
You can do whatever you want with proxies and that is usually the difference between scammers and proxyfags.
I have proxied Onslaught-art fetchlands, Vintage Masters duals and original art Demonic Tutor in Modern border for a side-deck I lend to people when other Commander players havent arrived.
>>
>>49228801
That flavortext encapsulates Counterspell extremely well, though.
>>
>>49232703
Maro said that new members can join and that when they do they'll take an oath too. I just said I didn't have evidence that this would happen every block, not sure where I got that idea from.

So you consider resolving the conflict to not be center to the story of a block? Really?
>>
>>49232703
Scratch that, you consider resolving the conflict to be a fucking minority involvement? Jesus Christ.
>>
>Oath of Ajani
>RGW

I want this.
>>
>>49232783
no please don't leave R/W with Nahiri plz
>>
>>49232683
Honestly, I think the fact that they were worried enough to take it off him at that point is enough of an indication that it wasn't going to get better from them.

I also tend to think that the way it left those who continually want Phyrexia centre stage again is probably a bad thing. They were the villain for decades and from a publishing and business perspective they were done, but a lot of people, Maro included, just can't let go. Which doesn't mean that he can't be at least somewhat salty over having a story taken away from him, that's never going to feel good, but the stubbornness on the point of their continued viability is another matter.
>>
>>49232801
Ajani last seen was GW. Although he still has red in him.
>>
>>49232806
I don't think it was so much that they were worried as that that's when they decided to get a creative team, so why is a designer writing the story?
Unfortunately, if that's the case or not is hard to say, because he won't give more than a few tidbits here and there.
>>
File: 243.jpg (75KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
243.jpg
75KB, 312x445px
>>49232539
Time Spiral was a literal Time Spiral, with shit from the past, future, and alternate present being thrown all over Dominaria because Teferi needed to save his little pissant village.

She's dead, anon.
>>
>>49226737
>Anyone else really sick of the neowalkers personality cult that currently monopolizes mtg lore?

Daily reminder that Richard Garfield dislikes planeswalkers
>>
>>49232779
Yes, because the big battle isn't the story.

The story is the people and places, the world and those in it.
Sorin, Bihari, Olivia, Avacyn, Arlynn, Traft, Bruna, Sigarda, Thalia. Those were the stories of Shadows over Innistrad. Those stories made up the majority of the text.

The Emrakul was just the device that pushed their stories. She was a damn maguffin. Jace found the maguffin, and the Gatewatch but it away.

It's only as an eldrazi connected to the broader story outside of Innistrad that Emrakul is more than a maguffin.
>>
>>49232806
It was more because people didn't know anything who was doing what. Entire sets back then still were designed by single people or disconnected teams. It was a time for them to find their pace and style.
>>
>>49232919
daily reminder that Richard Garfield will never whisper sweet nothings into your ear while playing a game of mtg with you
>>
>>49232899
Well yes, she's dead. She died closing one of the rifts.
But she survived UP TO that point. She did NOT die in the Invasion and then get timefucked back to life to close the rift. The only one that came back to life because TIMEFUCK was Bolas, and even that was...weird and not quite timefuck.
>>
>>49232923
Conflict is a major part of a story. Sorry Anon, but you cannot dismiss the BBE of a block as "minor", and then tout the fluff and flavor as "major."

The Gatewatch dominates the plot, they are our window into a plane, they suss out the bad guy, the fight the bad guy. That is major, whether you admit it or not. I love fluff and settings, but the plot takes center stage.
>>
REMINDER THAT IF SARKHAN DIDN'T FUCK UP TARKIR'S TIMELINE BECAUSE MUH DRAGONS THE JACETICE LEAGUE WOULD HAVE NEVER EXISTED
>>
>>49233009
So really it's Bolas's fault.
>>
File: 1438986097013.gif (2MB, 266x239px) Image search: [Google]
1438986097013.gif
2MB, 266x239px
>>49232958
>daily reminder that Richard Garfield will never whisper sweet nothings into your ear while playing a game of mtg with you

>How to make a bad day even worse: the post

jdimsa right?
>>
>>49232919
Source?
I mean they were a thing in his era, even if a vague and nebulous one.
Then he moved in to design card games that broke the rules that he created for card games. If it's a card game that doesn't seem like a MtG clone. It might be a Richard Garfield game.
>>
>>49233046
Pretty much yeah. Bolas is also responsible for NWO.
>>
>>49232899
Whoa, so did the time fuckery of Time Spiral actually retroactively cause Mishra to become a cunt and thus start the Brothers War and essentially the entire Magic story line?
>>
>>49233441
No.
>>
>>49227199
>huehuehuehue, nothing personel kid
>>
File: TKcSPSaPInT-h5Alt_wipA_r.jpg (117KB, 700x493px) Image search: [Google]
TKcSPSaPInT-h5Alt_wipA_r.jpg
117KB, 700x493px
>>49231662
Yeah, Yawgmoth forced Urza and Mishra to wonder into that cave and shatter that powerstone and set into motion one of the most convoluted conflicts conceived.
And even then, Yawgmoth didn't do anything wrong, the rest of the Thran were just wrong.
>>
>>49232062
And he'd kill the sun of an inhabited planet to make it happen, too.
>>
>>49226737

....that art is fucking terrible. Normally I wanna fuck the bitch, but I'd need a paper bag for this one.
>>
>all these WotCdrones sucking up on big company and telling everyone to just accept shit writing and characters

Holy hell, I thought that being a blind fanboy was more of a /v/ thing.
>>
>>49226737
>quits mtg because of a few UR and pw cards
And nothing of value was lost, ladies and gents
>>
>>49227392
It's about to have a much thicker plot now that Tezzeret has shown up and Ajani is confirmed to appear later.
>>
File: Bottle_Gnome.jpg (97KB, 575x461px) Image search: [Google]
Bottle_Gnome.jpg
97KB, 575x461px
>>49226737

Wouldn't it be neat if Wizards did a counter-plansewalker deck led by creatures fed up with the over representation Plansewalkers are getting a meta-hyjacking their templates to get into the action themselves? I'm talking about otherwise generic creatures getting a Planeswalker variant of their card and functioning accordingly.

Nameless characters unite! Down with the snowflakes!
>>
>>49232966
She didn't get time fucked back to life. A timefucked version of her existed despite her main continuity one being dead. That's why he posted Mishra, to prove a point.
>>
>>49238221

So what? All lead by Planeswalker!Guardian of the Gateless?
>>
>>49238221
something like
>when this creature enters the battlefield, it fights target planeswalker you don't control (it deals damage equal to its power to target planeswalker and the planeswalker deals damage equal to its loyality counters to it)
would be nice, I guess.
>>
>>49238658
Or
>~it challenges target planeswalker you don't control (its controller may use one of its abilities. Afterwards this creature deals damage equal to its power to it)
>>
>>49232340
Doug Beyer doesn't understand the concept of "show don't tell". His tumblr is just explanation of what all the characters are supposed to be like because wizards' writers are crap.
>>
>>49226737
I'm more sick of the bad art for them. Seriously, the two Chandra from this set are awful.
>>
>>49226808
Weatherlight saga only lasted 4 years.
>>
>>49229734
Maro has stated numerous times that Weatherlight was Star Trek and Gatewatch is Avengers. Weatherlight is one crew going on world hopping adventures, Gatewatch is a team that frequently splits off to do their own thing uniting against large multiverse level threats.

The problem isn't in the format so much as it is in the lack of consequences. Thus far the Gatewatch hasn't suffered any serious losses and I never feel that any of them are ever in real danger. If one of them died/lost their spark (ala Venser, Elspeth, etc...) I'd be a bit more invested in their story but until that happens they're just planeswalking mary sues.
>>
>>49231787
EMN had Gideon, Liliana, Nissa, Chandra, Jace and Liliana.
Kaladesh has Chandra, Liliana, and Nissa thus far. Jace is off plane and I'm not certain about Gideon.
>>
>>49240274
The shitty Chandra I get, but how is the flame sculptor awful? The artist has clean lines, a center focust, food anatomy, good attention to detail, the picture isn't overly busy, and there's a clear awareness of lighting. How is it bad? I think it's one of the best ones out there. It's certainly miles ahead of the firebrand.
>>
So.. Return to Kamigawa when?
>>
Isn't Lilianna a villain?

Or are they flipping the divide that Lilianna dindu nuthin and Garruk is just being a WHITE FUCKING MALE in chasing after her?
>>
>>49241024
How much do you want to bet that they'd make decent mechanics but completely ruin the art/tone of the setting

You know, instead of fucking useless mechanics with great fluff and art.
>>
>>49241024
>>49241063
I remember MaRo admitting that Inuyasha was a major inspiration for Kamigawa.
>>
>>49241098
That doesn't make any sense. Any similarities between the two are like that because they're both draw from Shinto mythology
>>
>>49241113
Iunno man. He outright said it.
>>
File: 1440875275601.jpg (170KB, 1000x1102px) Image search: [Google]
1440875275601.jpg
170KB, 1000x1102px
>>49232289
>Center of magics story, not the center of every story.

The Fuck do you think we're playing?

Also knowing the gatewatch will be in every story doesn't create an element of tension given how they will most likely be resolution of tension in any given plot and will also be impervious to any danger.
>>
>>49238249
It wasn't a timefucked version of her.
The main continuity one of her didn't die during Invasion.
She set off the soul bombs in Phyrexia (aka Pernicious Deed) and then got the fuck out of there because planeswalker and SURVIVED.
>>
>>49240486
>Thus far the Gatewatch hasn't suffered any serious losses and I never feel that any of them are ever in real danger
The good guys tend to win every time in most episodic stories. Becasue losing tends to take something off the baord.

Like if you kill someone you cant use that character again (unless you cheply bring it back) you wreck a plane, you've just thrown an entire setting a way.

Loss for a story is also loss for the storymaker so you have to be very very careful with what you let through.

Like seriously are you saying you find it a bad thing they havent offed any members of there MAIN cast in the same year they were assembled?
>>
>>49241113
>>49241098
I always suspected but didnt think he'd admit it.
>>
>>49241300
>Becasue losing tends to take something off the baord.

Only if your writing ability is so shit that the only meaningful stakes you can think of are "LIFE OR DEATH NIGGA"
>>
>>49227720
I really like how some of the earlier cards had either literature quotes or pretend research journal entries as flavor text.
Planeswalkers were a mistake.
>>
>>49241373
Thats what he said though.

Kill a walker or despark them

That basically takes them off the baord.

besides you can have stakes outside of that; look at Chandra and all her baggage with Kaladesh
>>
>>49241300
Speaking of Gatewatch story, can anyone actually explain what the hell their mission is?
They almost turned down helping Kaladesh because it's their own plane causing the problems, saying that they only deal with interplanar threats. Hasn't there only been like three interplanar threats ever? And they only know about the one? Fuck man, I get that all stories need structure but this one just seems so flimsy. There just HAPPENS to be some big interplanar threat immediately after the Gatewatch forms, when the multiverse in infinite?
>>
>>49241420
THey still do pretend research journal entries, and the decision to stop doing realworld literature was an entirely separate decisions that predates planeswalkers having cards - they want to focus on the worlds they're making, rather than the real world, so the only time real world lit came up was in core sets. And even that stopped after a while, and now core sets have stopped.
>>
>>49241184

>xenphobic
>jund elf mistress
>can command slivers
>has various religions founded on her

Nissa had a chance of being her worthy heir, but then she was snapped back to "generic hippy elf totally not hitler"
>>
>>49241793

Any walker can be classified as an interplanar threat, and there are, currenrtly on the loose,:

>Bolas
>Nahiri
>Ob Nixilis
>>
>>49241867
I don't think Nahiri counts as a threat to any further planes, honestly. She just needs comeuppance for the one she tried to wreck.
>>
>>49241908
Nahiri just needs a good hard dicking.
>>
>>49228945
REBELS!
JUDGE!
TEZZERET!
MOM?
DONKEY!!
>>
>>49241908
The Innistrad artbook or osmething has her looking crazy and then saying something like "I wonder where I shoudl go next" with the obvious implication that she probably wants to fuck shit up elsewhere too. I'm pretty sure Nahiri was meant to be a villain for the stable
>>
>>49227453
Looks like Lilliana ate all the pies
>>
>>49228822
Sorin is my favorite character, he is the perfect anti hero.
>>
>>49241946
Nahiri x Garruk OTP
>>
On an unrelated note why doesn't Wizards reprint things like Tarmogoyf as like a rare in some standard expansion? I mean he wouldn't really effect limited or standard too much.

Also why don't they just reprint entire sets again? I'm sure people would buy the fuck out of original Innistrad for the drafting experience irl again
>>
>>49240287
>Weatherlight saga only lasted 4 years.

It lasted four billion years and counting.
>>
>>49226737
The Gatewatch is just a stupid idea in general (also the name is stupid)

Like what these 5 people are going to keep the entire multiverse safe from every threat ever?

I view planeswalkers like I did the jedi. They are both sort of mysterious and powerful and the mystery makes them cool. When you focus too much on either and really explain everything about them then they lose their magic.
>>
>>49243138
>On an unrelated note why doesn't Wizards reprint things like Tarmogoyf as like a rare in some standard expansion? I mean he wouldn't really effect limited or standard too much.

Muh collectors

>Also why don't they just reprint entire sets

Muh collectors(1)
>>
>>49243377

It's just WotC trying to ride the superhero boom, kind of like how Kamigawa was their attempt to ride the anime boom.

It's going to go down equally well.
>>
>>49241300
>Like seriously are you saying you find it a bad thing they havent offed any members of there MAIN cast in the same year they were assembled?

They shouldn't fucking HAVE a "main cast". No fucking character should be reused after the block he appears in, ever.
>>
>>49243530
>They shouldn't fucking HAVE a "main cast". No fucking character should be reused after the block he appears in, ever.
Why?
>>
>>49228429
>It's not bad for there to be consistent characters in a game franchise.

Yes it is.

Magic is supposed to be a game of infinite possibilities, not a game of the same five douchebags going on boring adventures.
>>
>>49243543

Because 1) in an infinite multiverse it's absurd to see the same guys over and over and 2) I'm tired of them and don't want them to exist anymore.
>>
MTG fluff hasn't been good for a while

As people have pointed out time and time again, it is trying to draw on the superhero fad
>>
>>49243543
Because it really ruins the point of exploring new interesting worlds and seeing new characters when it's all just a backdrop for Jace and pals whacky adventures
>>
>>49243562
>Because 1) in an infinite multiverse it's absurd to see the same guys over and over
I would argue following certain characters through the infinitem ultiverse can provide interesting interaction by see how these people itneract with totally different people and cultures and seeing them change and adapt to it
>2) I'm tired of them and don't want them to exist anymore.
Ok
>>
>>49243569
I'm hoping that when there movie bombs they will cut back on all the Gatewatch faggotry
>>
>>49243618
It will never make it to production. Despite the money it makes and how hard they try to hide it, Magic isn't popular in the mainstream way. It doesn't matter how much they butcher it, it will never lose the stigma. And that's fine, I like it that way. I wish it had MORE stigma.
>>
>>49243601
No, it doesn't "ruin the point". Who are you to decide what "the point" is? How do you knwo the point isn't showing how characters interact in totally strange and new environments they aren't used, another virtue unique to the concept of having a multiverse of many different worlds in a setting where we have individuals gifted with the power to travel between them? it's not like them existing means we don't see actual natives. As it is we get to see the fish out of water as well as the natives and characters of the plane.
>>
>>49243649
It also limits what kind of stories you can have arbitrarily when you HAVE to have a member of Gatewatch be important in every single set

We won't have a set that focuses on the natives and their issues or maybe a new planeswalker on some new plane.

From now on every set will just be X members of the cuckwatch go to plane Y and than big event Z happens but then it gets resolved because the gatewatch are so epic and cool and Jace stops Z by using his sharigan bushido katana powers and repeat
>>
>>49243649
>How do you knwo the point isn't showing how characters interact in totally strange and new environments they aren't used,

Because I've played this fucking game since 1993 and I know that's not the point of Magic. I know because they printed it in the alpha rulebook. Eat shit.
>>
>>49243698
We already have Kaladesh totally disproving all of this. The gatewatch weren't even going to get involved in Kaladesh if it weren't for liliana manipualting chandra to go there for some reason we aren't sure yet. The block isn't "about" Chandra, it's about the Inventor's Fair and whatever Tezzeret is up to. Hell, SOI wasn't even "about" Jace or Liliana it was about Sorin and Nahiri with Jace trying to figure shit out.
>>
>>49243740
>>49243698
ALSO also the Gatewatch utterly failed against Emrakul, even Liliana's own eldritch artifact couldn't compete. The only reason they won was because Emrakul willed herself to contained. It was a "win" but not because the gatewatch were super special awesome with their special sharingan powers and shit.
>>
>>49243740
>The block isn't "about" Chandra

Yes it just features Chandra and her mom (a rebel leader) who is going to lead a revolt. It'd be kinda weird if the next set had the word "revolt" in the fucking title because then it would be like Chandra and her relatives are important to the blocks story or something hurrr.

>SOI
The story was literally the Gatewatch go to investigate the disturbance and scooby doo the plane. One of the key points of the second set was Liliana joins them.
>>
>>49243700
Yeah but they printed dual lands in Alpha and they don't do that anymore. Face it, grandpa, things change.

Nah, I totally agree with you. Could you imagine a fag making an argument like that?
>>
>>49243779
We don't have any clue what the Aether Revolt is and that presume to know is absurdly narcisstic. We don't know the context of the image. If Chandra is he one causing a "revolt" what exactly is going on with Tezzeret? And if it's her mother that's also part of the revolt, isn't that also involving an inhabitant of the plane in a major aspect of the story? Hell, Chandra is from Kaladesh, why shouldn't she be involved in the story at large? She IS a native character.

If you are dumbing things down and simplifying SOI block as being "about" the Gatewatch then fuck you, you really don't give a shit about the lore liek you pretend you do if you are so concerned with the story being pigeonholed into dealing with them. Jace and Liliana showed up in the block, and the rest of the Gatewatch shoed up in EMN. That means the Gatewatch appeared in the block, it doesn't mean the block was about them. If yo uwere actually concerned with the story you would care that the block was actually about Sorin and Nahiri's history, that Jace was there to look for Sorin, that the Gatewatch actually didn't resolve the problem, and any number of details.
>>
>>49243868
>We don't have any clue what the Aether Revolt is and that presume to know is absurdly narcisstic.

Are you one of those people that claimed "hey mannn you don't knowwww Emrakul is on Innistrad even though every single piece of evidence points to it"
>>
>>49243377
But Clone Wars and Knights of the Old Republci and tales of the Jedi were awesome
>>
>>49243927
What's the comparison here? What does that have to do with what Chandra's role in the Aether Revolt is and what exactly the revolt is? The type of hints and information given to determine that Emrakul was Nahiri's end game isn't the same so there isn't any comparison unless you, like, wanted to deflect from the point of the post or something. You wouldn't do that, right?
>>
>>49243700
>>49243837
I mean, things do change. It doesn't really matter what alpha did. Alpha also assumed 40 card decks with no card limit.
>>
>>49228405
You'd have to be a pretty pretentious hipster to think that. It's not like Batman was considered shit until a "new vision" came along until Morrison had a run. You'd know this if you actually read comics instead of trying to act like a hipster contrarian in the shallowest way possible..
>>
>>49226737
It's pretty obvious WotC is trying to do their own capeshit franchise

The only problem with that is they are 5000 years too late to get on that bus and most people have capeshit burn out by this point
>>
File: anguishedunmaking[1].jpg (44KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
anguishedunmaking[1].jpg
44KB, 265x370px
>>49226904
>>49226932
These quotes are actually pretty good, but I will agree that on average, the quotation flavor has gone down

>That made sorin feel sad
>>
what happened to MTG?

i remember back in the day the art was much more engaging, the game felt more raw, and there was less PC all around it

now it feels like youre around egg shells when you walk into a card shop

what gives?
>>
>>49244157
not really mtg but the poltical climate in general
>>
>>49244157
>i remember back in the day the art was much more engaging
Nostalgia
>the game felt more raw
EXTREME nostalgia
>and there was less PC all around it
I mean if you're talking about black people I suppose this is true.
>>
>>49233090
Should've specified, I meant planeswalker cards and not planeswalkers themselves.

As embarrassing as it is, here the source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/20f1dn/we_are_richard_garfield_creator_of_magic_the/cg2lz9f
>>
>>49244023
10 true duals
20 bolts
10 ancestral
are you a bad enough dude to play this deck?
>>
>>49244286
26 Black Lotus
17 Channel
17 Fireball
>>
>>49244349 (me)
>total 50
Fuck I can't even do basic math
18/11/11 then.
>>
>>49244376
>>49244349
wew settle down there, we want to give our opponent a chance to play.
>>
My best outcome would be this
>next big threat faces the jacetice league
>shit is going down, dire straights
>Chandra & Guidian go down
>Liliana has to step up
>out of fucking no where garruk
>garruk kills liliana
>shit garruk we needed that black mana
>garruk changes from Green/Black to Black
>Garruk's Oath
If only
>>
>>49244777
>next big threat faces the jacetice league
>shit is going down, dire straights
>Liliana is an evil cunt and betrays everyone to their deaths
>out of fucking nowhere Garruk
>Garruk kills Liliana
>Garruk dies of incontinence
>Tezzeret is new main character
>>
>>49244881
>apparently more dangerous shit is going down on Kaladesh then we thought
>GATEWATCH ASSEMBLE!
>Tibalt and his zany schemes is trying to ruin the Fair
>Gatewatch append him
>it turns out he made an atomic bomb
>all the fagwatch and planeswalker die
>magic continues
>>
>>49230723
At the very least it gives the impression of Lilliana going Palpatine on Chandra's Luke/potentially Anakin ass. "Strike him down with all your hatred" and that.

It'd be interesting to see Lilli manipulating Chandra, maybe turning her against Nissa with the whole lesbian love triangle, and taking apart the Gatewatch from within.
>>
>>49227720
Turns out this is actually an important line because Talruum Minotaurs are extremely concerned with personal appearance and attractiveness and Greven later gives Tahngarth a Phyrexian makeover while trying to make Tahngarth his new subordinate.
>>
>>49227199
Flavour text aside, but isn't this card really fucking awful? I only played MtG at a really casual level a few years ago, so maybe there's something I'm missing, but it seems really, really bad. Lightning Bolt is 3 damage for 1 mana, and this is 6 damage for 7 mana. Two lightning bolts is equivalent damage for 5 less mana, and I don't think being able to divide the damage up freely amongst your desired targets is an asset worth 5 mana.
>>
>>49244881
I know we want the good characters to actually have some screentime, or even be protags, but I'm honeslty going to actually be upset about Jacetice league if they don't get an opposing evil league of evil

>Bolas as the evil rival to Ugin already established
>Has Tezzeret, evil genius as his minion
>Garruk hunts the most dangerous game and hates Lili
>Ob is de-facto evil leader, hate Gideon
>Tibalt in it for the Lulz
>Bolas free zombie Elspeth and binds her to do his bidding
>>
>>49245852
No one is going to pay 7 mana for a burn spell in constructed, but it's a potential blowout in limited
>>
>>49245852
>>49245923
This. That card won me several games during prerelease simply because it can destroy specific targets effectively.
>>
>>49226737
Waiting eagerly for either (1) Nicol Bolas to ascend or (2) Urza to come back or (3) Phyrexia to arrive, and they put an end to all this Planeswalkercentric MTG Jacetice League shit! And yeah I've quit Standard and picking up new releases in favor of Modern & EDH.
>>
>>49244157
The art quality shifts a lot. Lorwyn was a high, Onslaught a low and now we're again in a low because of the overmanaged computer art.
>>
File: dynavolttower.jpg (46KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
dynavolttower.jpg
46KB, 265x370px
Dynavolt Tower
Artifact
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, get EE (two energy counters).

T, Pay EEEEE: Dynavolt Tower deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

MORE STORM STUFF. It's weird that they've been making so many enablers but no great sorceries or instants.
>>
>>49246899
>3 mana artifact that requires 2 1/2 instants to do 3 damage once
>Storm

????
>>
>>49247032
Like standard storm, with the shitty lifegain artifact.
>>
>>49243927
That was more people pretending it was possible that Marit Lage was on Innistrad than people actually being in denial over Emrakul.
>>
>>49232690
Yes.
>>
File: wQCuiHO.png (909KB, 451x1160px) Image search: [Google]
wQCuiHO.png
909KB, 451x1160px
>>49228945
>>49229226
>>49242017
>>
File: 88.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
88.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
lol
>>
>>49229924
The nothing personal kid and his troll slut are great and the naya retcon disaster squad need to be fixed.
Thread posts: 248
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.