[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 55

File: sneak peek.jpg (355KB, 1137x418px) Image search: [Google]
sneak peek.jpg
355KB, 1137x418px
Comfy Warbands edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk (embed)

>Question of the Now:
What's your wargaming fantasy? A games room, a fully painted army, your own ruleset published?

Old thread: >>49132141
>>
>>49210004
What game is your pic related warband for?
>>
>>49210004
> What's your wargaming fantasy?

Actually being able to get a goddamn game ;_;
>>
>>49210047

Not mine unfortunately, but I think it was a Mordheim blog.
>>
>>49210063

I'm not asking for much, I just want to play Battle at the Farm-type skirmishes
>>
>>49210162
28 or 15mm scifi skirmish with maximum your dudes a la Rogue Trader

It's all I want in life
>>
File: 1459988032178.jpg (514KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1459988032178.jpg
514KB, 1600x1200px
Would kill to play Mordheim on a table like this with a dedicated group.
>>
>>49210004
Eventually publishing my own ruleset and miniatures line. Rules are coming along, but I'd have to hire a sculptor or learn to do it myself.
>>
>>49210004
I want a fun skirmisher, with a lot of tweak and options to the warbands, and most of all campaign gameplay! Someting like Necromunda or Mordheim, setting doesn't really matter.
That SLA Industries thing has me carefully optimistic in this regard, it would make so much sense for a wargame built upon a RPG to have character progression, but they haven't said anything about any campaign elements yet... :< Gonna fucking cook up my own system if I have to.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darumaproductions/sla-industries-cannibal-sector-1
>>49210323
That's a cool table!
>>
>>49210632
I have ideas for a game with those elements. The whole thing is raiding alien ruins, "discovering" the objectives as you play, competing with your opponent as you fight off the ancient horrors that infest the board, and selling what you found for bigger guns so you can do it again. Writing the setting is giving me hang ups, though.
>>
>>49211199
Just steal as much as you like from the Mass Effects, Dead Spaces, XCOMs and the Grimdark Futures Where There's Only War; change names on everything. I hear that's what hip with youngsters today, so should work out decently.
>>
>>49210047
it's mordheim
>>
>>49210063
Someone else actually pitching in for once. That or people willing to at least let me run them a game of something other than 40kek/warmautism/FoW.
>>
>>49211298
I've got a basic premise down. Human space empire and its subservient alien races colonize an alien planet that show signs of an extinct civilization. Turns out that the whole planet is one giant alien research facility of a long-dead advanced species. Everyone's trying to keep it hush-hush, so they can claim as much as they can before the whole secret is blown. In come the players, who control teams of mercs and hired guns raiding the tomb and selling off what they find to the highest bidder.

I'm really stuck on a few things before it really falls together. Its a few more interesting playable races for models and what kind of tech should be available.

For races so far, I've got humans (duh); genetically augmented human subspecies from now-illegal programs that have enhanced capabilities, but shortened life spans; triceratops-turtle aliens; and Dwarven mole aliens. I'm working on a system where each model has a basic statline and you apply a race template over it, mostly with special rules than straight stat modifying.
>>
>>49210004
Cool minis
>>
File: 1442797403734.jpg (195KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1442797403734.jpg
195KB, 640x426px
How will you guys feel about an arena shooter wargame with several players at time?
>>
>>49210004
>What's your wargaming fantasy? A games room, a fully painted army, your own ruleset published?
To play with a gf.
>>
>>49216482
or bf
>>
>>49215078
works best with a grid/hexmap imho for respawns
>>
>>49216664
That is debatible
>>
>>49216664
Nah, use area movement like gears of war, with cover points if you want to hang behind a waist-high wall and lob a grenade whilst hidden, but you'll probably get flanked while doing so, so staying mobile is more often useful than hiding.

Gears of War is a really good board game.
>>
File: 002.jpg (238KB, 915x686px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
238KB, 915x686px
Stormtrencher anon from last thread, here's an old w.i.p picture of squad one, I've since built both squads and am partially through painting them. I'll be taking some pictures of both squads tonight if anyone cares to see them.
>>
File: 001.jpg (232KB, 915x686px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
232KB, 915x686px
>>49217195
And for shits and giggles a comparison with some new resin trenchers with the same jump packs(recast chaos raptor jump packs, got them 50 cents each! fucking bargain).
>>
>>49210323
>on a table like this
Just FYI just about everything on there except some of the ladders is bought.
The buildings are hamlets sold by warlordgames converted with pieces from the goblintown set by GW. The thing on the left with the pillars is an aquarium piece and the other buildings are WHFB or Lotr GW buildings as well.
The gallows should be from 4Grounds if I'm not mistaken.

Random additions are a wrecked GW cannon the treasure chest in the front and the large keg. The small ones should be from renedra.

It's very well put together and the end product looks great of course, just saying you could very conceivably be playing on a table just like this.
>>
>>49217195
>>49217232
These are all looking very nice
>>
>>49216573
At this point, I'm fine with either one.

>>49216891
Something like Crossfire, where you can activate till the initiative is yours, or both players move in the same time?

>>49217195
>>49217232
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'd ask for the other squad too. One question - do you plan to paint them with them having Mandible autoshotguns in mind? It seems no conversion to the Invaders.

Other than that, thanks for the tip of Raptor jump packs, I guess these are from the older metal ones. Do you still have the source of the recasts?
>>
Have any of you guys tried Bushido? Or maybe even Dark Age?

Both seem to be pretty great.
>>
File: IMG_7253_zps86c4711d.jpg (96KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7253_zps86c4711d.jpg
96KB, 800x600px
>>49217540

Not him, but that Ruined Hamlet of three houses is only £31 on Amazon whilst it's sold out on Warlord. Looks useful for a lot of games, I might consider it. Thanks anon.
>>
>>49218873
>only £31
I remember it being cheaper from Warlord. Heck, even the starter includes it for 70, and you get 20 paratroopers, a Hanomag, 10 Grenadiers and a rulebook.
>>
>>49218904

Shit, I'll check out their website when it comes back on then (apparently after the Band of Brothers set is released for BA). I figured £31 wasn't so bad compared to a lot of the prices for terrain on their site.
>>
>>49218922
It's hard plastic, unlike the others which are laser-cut or resin.
>>
>>49218844
Dark Age is great. Bushido seems to have a nonexistent player base in the states.
>>
File: 01-kraken-starter.gif (648KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
01-kraken-starter.gif
648KB, 600x400px
Anybody here playing Alkemy?
Back in the day I bought a shitload of minis, but then the company who made the game croaked.
The game has since been resurrected, but it seems outside of France nobody even cares anymore. Which is of course also partly to blame of the guys owning the game now since they don't even bother translating anything into english.
>>
>>49219345
I have three archers from the Chinese-looking human faction, from god knows where. The human minis look nice, but never really cared enough to dig deeper.
>>
File: jumppack.jpg (100KB, 418x418px) Image search: [Google]
jumppack.jpg
100KB, 418x418px
>>49217195
>>49217232
>>49218830
Erm, I see that you removed the magazine of the rifle, sorry. Anyways, the only jump packs that were close enough are the Kromlech ones, so in case I can't find any Raptor packs, I'll grab some of those.
>>
>>49218873
I'm generally a PAEPR AND STYRAFOM-fag only, bought terrain absolutely haram, but hell 30£ for all those looks like a bretty gud deal...
>>49219345
Looks cute. Reasonably high quality minis as well.
>>
>>49219345
I like the combat card mechanics, I do wish it was still around but for a fan run game its not doing as bad as it could be.
>>
>>49219568
Yeah, I cut aeay the magazine and slid the grenade drum back a bit in its place. I also cut down the barrel of the invader then reattqched the bayonets. I bought the junp packs from an ebay bits seller called bits galaxy. It was at his stall at one of our local convetions, he from my city. I don't think he's got the loose parts on his shop but send a message and I'm sure he'd be happy to help.
>>
File: harry tiles.jpg (55KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
harry tiles.jpg
55KB, 800x600px
My wargaming fantasy is a full dungeon tileset
>>
File: 1OdAN.png (592KB, 794x594px) Image search: [Google]
1OdAN.png
592KB, 794x594px
>>49220482
That looks neat, but the stairs would work better with just a couple of floor tiles on a height between the two floors (add little edges to the steps to make em more "stair-ish").
You can't put models on those two squares as is, and they become unusable in a game environment.
>>
>>49219345
>Which is of course also partly to blame of the guys owning the game now since they don't even bother translating anything into english.

yeah, sounds like the system is SO GOOD
>>
>>49220482
That tile brings back so many memories.
>>
>>49219850
Sadly he's in Australia and I'm in the EU, so even postage would kill it...I'll try to hunt down one and cast some for myself, thanks for the idea mate!
>>
>>49222188

The guy who made them is called Harry, he's an absolute legend and you might have already seen one of his project logs before. Most of them where on Warseer, which is down again, but he also posted them on other forums too, if you have a Google. Wish I had 10% of his effort.
>>
>>49224569
10/10, would explore dungeons with Harry.
>>
Rev up the hype engines

http://www.modiphius.com/siege-of-the-citadel.html
>>
>>49226747
>modiphius
>prodos
>KS
i love the game but damn is that a trifecta of shit (probably still gonna fund with a friend)
>>
>>49224569
Man that's pretty. Friend of mine started a similar project, but we never heard of it again. That was 6 years ago...
>>
>>49210431
I would sculpt miniatures for you?
>>
>>49227373
Got samples or a portfolio?
>>
>>49218904
You only get one in the starter box not 3.
>>
>>49227259
I didn't follow the Warzone KS, what's wrong with them?
>>
>>49210259
rogue stars is coming out later this year, and I've really liked Sfiligoi's games in the past. It looks like it might just be ASoBH in spaaace with more character focus but I'm personally cool w/that
>>
File: 526741.jpg?465.jpg (113KB, 465x294px) Image search: [Google]
526741.jpg?465.jpg
113KB, 465x294px
>>49226747
I'll admit that this here was my childhood, pretty much, but it was also an utter piece of shit game. And the Mutant Chronicles IP have been mismanaged at every turn; Wouldn't battle the forces of legion in.
>>
File: 1461127795847.jpg (360KB, 1000x507px) Image search: [Google]
1461127795847.jpg
360KB, 1000x507px
>>49227259
Guilty pleasures is a thing. I've put in some bucks in questionable KS stuff. They've all delivered so I'm not too rustled.
>>
>>49229012

Just the usual production issues and delays. They definitely got in way over their head. They're a lot better now but the early days were a mess for the company.
>>
Is the Mutant Chronicles/Warzone universe actually a decent setting?

Looking at some of the old metals and the new Resurrection stuff, perfect for Necromunda.
>>
>>49229341
>an utter piece of shit game
Are you joking? Siege was and still is one of the best dungeon crawlers made. Easily the best of the Mutant Chronicles boardgames too.
>>
>>49230009
It's kinda like a more 80's cyberpunk 40k taking place only in our solar system.
>>
>>49229408
Are those kit-bashed 40k figures?
>>
>>49231232
There are some Warhams Fantasy bits in there. Not that poster, but I recognize the left and center heads as being from the empire flagellants kit.
>>
>>49232268
The rifle on the left also looks like a modified las rifle.
>>
>>49232268
Think the dud on the right is a Necromunda hiver.
>>
>>49232681
he's achaos cultist with work shoulder pads.
>>
>>49227259
I only know about Prodos' problems, Modiphius....iunno, did they not deliver?

>>49230009
It's quite decent, yeah. You have a bunch of megacorporations each with a distinct theme (Capitol is 'merrica in space, Imperial is UK in space, Mishima is Japan in space, Bauhaus is Germany in space, Cybertronic is terminators), then you have the Cartel that manages intercorporation wars, the Brotherhood that's Christianity in space but with actual powers, you have the Dark Legion which is basically Chaos from Warhammer with their gods and everything, but for some reason I like this a bit more with their biotechnology, and the fact that the apostles and other assorted baddies have their own better defines reasons to do shit. Plus there's a pretty good explanation for the stepback in technology, namely the Dark Legion can take control of the advanced stuff, so they gotta keep it basic. Overall, highly recommended, all the old stuff, including the RPG books can be found at Mutantpedia in pdf.

>>49231232
Converted chaos cultists.
>>
File: Fury Road.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Fury Road.webm
1MB, 640x360px
I'm currently working on a wargame set in a post apocalyptic wasteland, my scale of choice is 6mm as I'm going to be focused on fast car/vehicular combat.

Since I'm very early in writing stage I thought I'd ask you guys what you wanted to see more of/like seeing in a post apocalyptic wargame.
>>
>>49234777
Fallout-like, or Mad Max-like, or something else?
>>
File: Gone with the blastwave.jpg (129KB, 620x877px) Image search: [Google]
Gone with the blastwave.jpg
129KB, 620x877px
>>49234910
I'm planning on ripping off Mad Max more than I am Fallout.

In particular I'm thinking Road Warrior and Fury Road Mad Max.
>>
>>49231232

Yeah, looks like Blanchitsu to me, or heavily inspired by him.
>>
>>49215078
We do something like this to intoduce people to infinity based on this.

For a multiplayer game I would suggest looking at infinity's aro system, so its not an Igoyougo thing with people just waiting for their turn.
>>
>>49234777
20mm is best for conversion of matchbox cars (see dark future and warlands).
>>
>>49234670
Modi is molasses slow on delivering while also promising everything. IIRC Achtung Cthulu is the only thing fully delivered and that took over 2 years.
>>
>>49236800
AWESOME!
What is it like to play it?
How about other formats beside deathmatch?
>>
>>49237633
Infinity uses an activation system, where when you activate a miniature, everyone that can see it gets to do a single action in response. This means that positioning is important and whenever another player acts, you can do stuff too. It keeps the pace up and means there isn;t any -downtime- where you can just wait for your opponent to end their turn.

It also has a face to face roll system kinda like the price is right. After applying modifiers, each model has to roll under a target number to succeed, if the roll is opposed by someone acting against you, the easy example shooting and being shot back at, you need to succeed but also roll higher than them.

I don't think I explained it well, so here's a playlist of the tutorial vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNe1P6jLLLE&list=PL242B9F75D59B040F

As for game modes, Infinity is usually a 1v1 wargame, I haven;t done much with single miniature multiplayer stuff, but I imagine that just taking fps game modes like king of the hill and infection should translate well.

As a final note though, Infinity lives and dies on the terrain setup, you need enough line of sight blocking buildings but not so much that shotguns reign supreme

Hope this helps!
>>
File: 2392304433435.jpg (215KB, 464x600px) Image search: [Google]
2392304433435.jpg
215KB, 464x600px
Anyone else play any Fairy Meat? I picked up the starter box for dirt cheap and I've been playing a few games. It's really fun; crazy and entertaining. I picked up a lawn gnome and I'm starting to do some (amateurish) conversions to play some Clockwork Stomp. Good times.
>>
>>49237823
Fairy Meat is what I use my old Mage Knight figures for. It's all they're good for, these days...
>>
>>49219345
>Native American orcs

Ugh, not my cup of tea. I hate Warcraft for making this shit popular.
>>
>>49237854
I dont mind it actually. Gives them a bit more flavor than your typical ork has.
>>
>>49237891
Yeah I thought so too at first but it's become way too common for my taste. I feel like super evil Tolkien-esque orcs are actually more uncommon/interesting at this point. That's just me though.
>>
>>49237823
mind telling us a bit more about how it plays?
>>
File: O9WVE.gif (367KB, 340x179px) Image search: [Google]
O9WVE.gif
367KB, 340x179px
>>49237909
This feels reading a post from the alternate universe?
Tribal orcs are rare af imo, they're just a race of evil greenigger barbarians 95+% of the time. GW savage orcs touch upon the concept very fleetingly, but they really feel more like LARPing orkz than anything else. What other native orcs are you thinking of?
>>
>>49237926
It's a points-based skirmish game where you control a warband made up of cannibal fairies who get more powerful when they devour their dead enemies/comrades.

The rules are simple; every model has a number of "Live" points which gives the fairy more defense and "Kill" points which gives her more damage. As you take damage these become unusable "Meat" points that if the model dies can be absorbed by other fairies who take bites from the corpse.

There are no dice rolls. The only thing you need is a deck of playing cards and contested checks are decided by who gets the highest card between two players. You keep the jokers in the deck and hilarious shenanigans can ensue when one comes up and the rules are different for a joker showing up in any given check.

The game is totally unbalanced I imagine but that's not really the point I think and it's a ton of fun if you don't take it too seriously. Which considering the source material it's pretty easy not to take it seriously.
>>
>>49238007
lol well I'm not super into fantasy but I feel like I see (saw?) them a lot.
I played confrontation for a while and those for sure fit the bill.
I feel like TES orcs have become more and more like this as time has progressed.
The new HOMM games fit this to a tee as well; they're really almost entirely a ripoff of the Warcraft orcs.

I don't see Tolkien orcs as being as barbarous as you seem to think either. There is a country mile of difference between the sly and militaristic Tolkien orcs and Warhammer orcs for instance.
>>
>>49237926
Here's a dropbox of all the rulebooks if you're interested

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jd5yeg8u80u6nqg/AADEU-9kWD279xlFnisMttfGa?dl=0
>>
>>49238082
neat
>>
Hey guys. Nice thread!

Would any of you play a game which had different factions of really distinctive races or with really specific designs (lore wise), but that had no minis for the moment?

I'm saying this because I've been designing a wargame for years now, and factions are pretty specific. I wouldn't mind using alternative minis, but maybe players would be put off by the lack of minis at all

Maybe in the future I'll save enough to do that
>>
>>49239057
That really depends on the rules and/or the lore of these specific factions. If i like the ideas behind it and if it plays good.. i don't see a problem there.
>>
>>49239057
Nowadays it would be a tough sell without minis. However, if you keep mini scale in mind when designing the play area it would work (that way people can sub in their own minis - 28mm scale is best)
>>
File: U fookin wot.jpg (111KB, 509x249px) Image search: [Google]
U fookin wot.jpg
111KB, 509x249px
>>49239473
>28mm scale is best
Those are fighting words around these parts
>>
File: Airbus.jpg (215KB, 1125x1379px) Image search: [Google]
Airbus.jpg
215KB, 1125x1379px
How does the idea of a your dudes ship game sound. As in your 5 guys and a space ship, maybe playing something like ftl, split between a grid based crew map and a x wing esque ship battle half. In a moebius style setting
>>
>>49239076
>>49239473

On the other hand I don't know how hard or expensive it is to hire a sculptor and have him make some minis. At least a few, and then make a kickstarter or something.

But my idea in the first place would be 28mm skirmish campaign-based game (a la Mordheim or Necromunda), so everyone would be able to use their warhammer/LOTR/warmahordes/whatever figs.

The thing is, I wanted to release the rulebook first and see if the game has any success before spending a really BIG chunk of my money on making miniatures.
>>
>>49238007
>Fringe reference
My fellow black man.
>>
>>49239473
>28mm scale is best
For skirmishing, yes, for mass combat, absolutely no.

>>49239786
Let me give you some maybe helpful tips (no refunds). Do some sketches for the factions, probably turn them into paper cutouts. Include them in the rulebook, say that right now it's non-specific for the miniatures, but you want to make your own. Put it up on Wargame Vault and see how it fares, make demo or lite rules, make the cutouts flashy and free, put all your effort into them, don't half-ass it. And, try to learn 3d sculpting, or heck, regular sculpting with armatures. Hasslefree sell a bunch of basically readymade stuffs, and you get permission to sell the minis made with those (including heads) automatically. Or, get one set sculpted at a time, and no need for 10 different poses - 4-5 bodies with some arm and head options will be enough. Make the minis modular, so you can use the existing parts for sth else too.
>>
>>49238082
>added to the trove
>>
>>49240222
Hadn't thought about making paper cutouts actually, that's really good advice!

Me and my brother are currently working on the art of the game. I hope something good comes off it. I'm also working on the lore, and refining some of the rules.

It's gonna be so your dude-sy
>>
>>49240271
No probs, man, glad I could help.
>>
>>49240222
>>28mm scale is best
>For skirmishing, yes
Debatable, 15mm can be amazing for skirmish games when you take into account the massive amount of terrain (and how cheaply) you can put on the table.
>>
>>49239586
Battlestations has stuff like this, you should give it a look. Bit crunchy and not very Moebius though.

Then there's stuff like Space Alert that's just a boardgame with crew dealing with crises, but Battlestations is the sort of thing that could be really good if it was better, if you know what I mean.

I mean I'm interested.
>>
File: 2mmfpw prussian cav1.jpg (82KB, 520x345px) Image search: [Google]
2mmfpw prussian cav1.jpg
82KB, 520x345px
>28/32mm
Aesthetic as fuark. Bigger than this and you are wasting space for the most part. Good for skirmish, bad for war
>15mm
If you want to play a skirmish game on a huge map with semi believable fire arm ranges and tactics this is premium scale. For nogunz games kinda a waste of potential. Start to lose your dudes quality as conversion becomes difficult.
>6mm
Proper war game scale.
>2mm
Just use tokens
>>
File: 20130116_103126 (1024x768).jpg (643KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20130116_103126 (1024x768).jpg
643KB, 1024x768px
>>49241073
> he forgot 10mm master race

Anon, you could've just outright told us you were a pleb.
>>
>>49241140
And 1:72 too.
>>
>>49241073
>>49241140
>>49241162
and 3mm, which actually has sculpting.

and 1:6000, the truest modern/ww2 naval scale.
>>
>>49241140
6mm for sci-fi and ww2 onwards
10mm for everything else
>>
>>49241073
>scale wars
worst meme tßh
>>
Apparently the new Epic game is meant to be 8mm

It might be Titans-only though, so it's not too bad.
>>
Not sure if this question has a place in here, but has any of you guys played "Dungeon Saga" by Mantic?
>>
>>49242478
I hope not because it would be a bit rubbish if old Epic minis were incompatible.
>>
>>49242506
It would be good for GWs sales though... so i guess its true.
>>
>>49242506
That's why, man. So you heff ta buy new ones.
>>
File: giant-daemons.jpg (68KB, 525x593px) Image search: [Google]
giant-daemons.jpg
68KB, 525x593px
>>49242493

Definitely the place.

I haven't personally. I would be interested in the rules and tiles, but I have a load of Heroquest/Warhammer Quest plastics that want using so I don't need another board game with dozens of models.

>>49242506

If it is just an "Adeptus Titanicus" game, it's not too bad, like FWs resin titans were larger than the plastics.

Besides, even in past editions there were some howlers regarding scale. Look at how massive that Bloodletter is particularly.
>>
>>49242574

I don't have any Hero-/Warhammer Quest stuff, but i'm looking for a dungeon crawl game with minis to play with my gf, so it should be kinda "easy".
I just found out about Dungeon Quest and its kinda cheap (compared to the Silver Tower game at least).
>>
>>49243011
What isn't cheap compared to that?

On a slightly related note, Siege of the Citadel is funded, shit's looking nice, waiting for the stretch goals, as right now there's literally no reason to go for the 150$ pledge level.
>>
>>49243011
My friends won't shut up about Descent's android/iOS app for 2player games.

I've never played the game in any form though, so don't take this as an endorsement, just a suggestion.
>>
File: 2yxj7g4.jpg (64KB, 1191x842px) Image search: [Google]
2yxj7g4.jpg
64KB, 1191x842px
>>49210632
Oh hey, looks like the SLA CZ1 thing might scrounge up enought for the Digger mini?
>>
>>49243266
I don't know why, but I fucking hate the thought of using smartphone/PC apps for boardgames.
>>
>>49243266
Descent's a good game, it's only really not a dungeon crawler...
>>
>>49242506
The new scale will affect the titans most of all. Infantry are probably gonna be close enough to be fine.
>>
>>49243134
>Siege of the Citadel

I'll check it out

>Descent's android/iOS app for 2player games.

Sounds interesting.
>>
>>49240916
Thing is, most people will turn right around and lose interest if a game has anything but 28mm. So if you hope to garner even a little interest in the community, going with 15mm is shooting yourself in the foot, even though it's technically better for skirmish games.
>>
>>49243398
this is 100% true
>>
File: Dropzone Commander.jpg (175KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Dropzone Commander.jpg
175KB, 960x640px
>>49243398
>most people will turn right around and lose interest if a game has anything but 28mm

But you don't need most people, you just need some people.

This anon isn't trying to be the next GW here, it sounds like he is just trying to start a fairly niche thing.
>>
>>49243516
Wargaming already is niche. So if you intentionally go for a Niche within a Niche, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
David did everything but the casting himself for Dropzone Commander, and even then I'm surprised he can live off it. It's probably not exactly a luxurious life anyway.
The success of Dropzone is a small miracle in itself and I'd rather go towards 28mm and get a lot more sales from people that'll buy the miniatures even though they don't care about the game.
>>
File: Flames of War.jpg (386KB, 690x461px) Image search: [Google]
Flames of War.jpg
386KB, 690x461px
>>49243650
>Wargaming already is niche. So if you intentionally go for a Niche within a Niche, you are setting yourself up for disappointment

Its niche when you compare it to things like monopoly sure, but even in a niche within a niche you can still survive as a small business.

You also ignore the fact that the higher demand for 28mm models has resulted in an increase in the number of companies working to meet that demand, so its not exactly like going bigger has any more guarantee of success.

Maybe this anon should focus on making good rules, an interesting setting or nice models if he wants this game to be successful.
>>
>>49243398
Flames of War and its spinoffs are highly popular though.
>>
>>49243775
Historicals are the larger of portion of Wargaming
>inb4 >FoW >historical

A lot of people play FoW with other manufacturers, since there are shittons of companies producing WW2 in all scales.
>>
File: DSCF5562.jpg (1MB, 2168x1877px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5562.jpg
1MB, 2168x1877px
>>49243650
>you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
My entire life is centered around disappointments, why wargaming should be any different?
>>
File: face.gif (2MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
face.gif
2MB, 300x169px
>>49243800
>>
>>49243734
>You also ignore the fact that the higher demand for 28mm models has resulted in an increase in the number of companies working to meet that demand

That is true, but the fact that most people will ignore any game not running 28mm simply because they prefer their plastic dolls to be that size. It's heartbreaking, but I've seen enough good games wither away simply because people won't care for anything smaller than 28mm.
>>
File: Tiny tanks.jpg (382KB, 1600x971px) Image search: [Google]
Tiny tanks.jpg
382KB, 1600x971px
>>49243849
So what the real issue for anon is finding his audience, which is really a question of employing all the shilling skills he can muster.

Making a good game might help too
>>
>>49241140
Don't forget 12mm.
>>
>>49243889
That's a pretty optimistic way to view that, but I what the hell, I'm not an economist, maybe going for the Niche-Niche is the smarter thing to do.
>>
File: 1473186961364.jpg (1MB, 1827x2842px) Image search: [Google]
1473186961364.jpg
1MB, 1827x2842px
>>49243280
>A quick bit of arithmetic - we will have to make him in Resin, he would be insane in metal. He will be approximately 100mm to his eye level however the model would have a further 30-40mm in height with the 2 over the shoulder combat arms and weapons added. It would have as much bulk and resin content as around 7 or 8 regular 32mm minis.. we are talking a colossal miniature here!
>>
Im making a small skirmish force(s) for a modified Ganesha ruleset because I love games like mordheim/necromunda. Its historical based though so Im unsure if belongs here or /hwg/
>>
>>49243849
>>49243398
Agreed. I have passed countless games because they were not 28mm scale, because i want a uniform scale to work with when making terrain, as well as having miniatures usable for any tabletop rpg without worrying about scale differences
>>
>>49246772
hurr durr people prefer this scale so no game should ever be made at a smaller scale
>>
>>49246796
Im not saying he should feel forced to make it 28mm scale autist, only that there are people who will pass over games not in that scale for various reasons (some more practical than others).
>>
>>49246878
>an autist calling someone an autist

its like im in 40k threads all over again
>>
>>49246830
/hwg/ has it's scale wars too, we're just more tongue-in-cheek about it.
>>
File: Undead-Hunter-Crew.jpg (290KB, 1600x728px) Image search: [Google]
Undead-Hunter-Crew.jpg
290KB, 1600x728px
>>49246796
>>49246830

People are just pointing out that 28mm is the most common scale on the market for fantasy and sci-fi games, calm your tits lads.

Me personally, I prefer it for the detail. 15mm isn't exactly great for the "your dudes" vibe I want from a skirmish game.
>>
>>49246830
>>49246901
Assblasted projection much
>>
>>49246955
I know, don't understand why he is going full autist over this fact...
>>
Is Wrath of Kings any good?

The model quality is pretty sweet for the prices I've been seeing, but I'm pretty sure it never took off as a game after the Kickstarter.
>>
>>49246955
Whats it like being 16
>>
>>49246929

"Alternative" is not synonymous with skirmish.

15mm is a perfect scale for platoon-battalion levels like 40k, where vehicles can function without being too huge and clunky and weapon ranges are more realistic for contemporary warfare.

Also, there's plenty of alternative games out there for other scales like 35mm, 6mm to 2mm and Fleet Scale for ships or 1/270 for dogfighting.
>>
>>49247079

I never said it was synonymous pal, just that I prefer 28mm for the games I personally play.

I agree with you about different scales for different types of games, but we all know 28mm is king if you want to paint dudes and roll dice.
>>
>>49245742
I'm not familiar with the system. Historical would be /hwg/, I assume.
>>
>>49247808
If it doesn't strictly exist yet and is based on a awg game, I'd mind if the guy tried to start a discussion here.
>>
File: hammersslammers4.jpg (552KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
hammersslammers4.jpg
552KB, 1000x667px
>>49243794
>FoW >historical

I've never understood the elitist snobbery when it comes to people that play 20th C. wargames against those playing FoW. Of course there's going to be a lot of ignorant people playing FoW, because it's a lot of younger people playing it. They're obviously interested in WWII enough to sink money into it, so why sneer at them instead of welcoming them into the light like the resource and growth potential for the hobby they are?

>>49243516
Ah, DZC. The game that is priced like it's several scales bigger in size.

>£10.00 for 12 teeny weeny 1cm tall men

>>49246830
Oh please, even the miniatures vs chits wars happen there.
>>
>>49210259
>>49210162
>>49210063
Most systems have a solitaire mode floating around, albeit usually fan made
>>
>>49248081
Hey 1;72 anon
>>
>>49248149
I am not him, fuck off :^)
>>
>>49248172
good, id hate for that turbo autist to ruin this place too
>>
File: DS9_Crusty_1.jpg (70KB, 650x252px) Image search: [Google]
DS9_Crusty_1.jpg
70KB, 650x252px
>>49248192
Constantly egging him on is no less autistic, tbhfam.

Bet he doesn't into glorious 15mm at all.
>>
>>49247998
Nothing says he can't discuss it here, just that since its historical based, /hwg/ might be able to help him better. Would like to hear more about this Ganesha system, though.
>>
>>49249767
Ganesha is the company behind song of swords and heroes. They use that as a template and modified those rules for all sorts of periods
>>
>>49249796
Ah, did not know the name of the company behind SoB&H.
>>
>>49246976
It just got some new stuff in for the factions (Hadross in particular seems to have a bunch of new shit in the most recent release).

Rules are fairly simple, and the game plays quickly. I've seen it in a shop or two, but the scene is undoubtedly very small.
>>
>>49250830
Hey 1:72
>>
File: ICON-CL457.jpg (71KB, 960x755px) Image search: [Google]
ICON-CL457.jpg
71KB, 960x755px
I would like to pick up two Dark Age faction starter sets to try and demo games at stores, one of which would be Core. What other faction would be a safe bet for drawing interest, playing well against the Core box, and not being too intricate rules-wise for someone new to the game?

I've seen it mentioned a few times in these threads. Does anyone here actively play it?
>>
>>49247341

"King" and most common can be quite different things. But for small amounts of dudes, 6-20 maybe, with recognizable features at a somewhat smaller cost, 28mm is the go-to. It's suitable and appropriate for small amounts of neat models (maybe even just a single box of dudes with some options and converting with bits) which makes it accessible.
>>
>>49246908
>does anyone make figures for the war of jenkin's ear in 8mm
>>
>>49246976
CMON hoped more neckbeards would take notice, but they don't actually push it enough nowadays so it's all word of mouth from the Kickstarter, which while nearly 4k people just don't seem to want to convert anyone new really. It's probably just going to limp along like Dark Age and slowly grow with con goers.
>>
>>49253432

Infinity limped along as well, then found its stride in 2nd and had a bit of an explosion with a solid box and a new edition.
>>
>>49251927
Either forsaken or outcasts I think. both can be built fairly basic I think, though I am unfamiliar with CORE. I want to play it more actively. But the old forsaken starter contents (2 coils/3 bane/warwind) is a good simple force to play and teach with (gives you range and how powerful charging and ganging up can be).
>>
>>49253454
Infinity's had way more hype from the community though, and it was fairly big by N2 (like it was a well known name before Icestorm, now its thought of as a contender), People might just be feeling burned by rackham still or something (or its too different from standard tolkienesque stuff)
>>
>>49252796
Adler Figures has a large 7 Years War and a decent AWI range in 6.85mm (bigger than GHQ's figs) that has you covered for the War of Jenkin's Ear, yo.
>>
>>49243398
>most people will turn right around and lose interest if a game has anything but 28mm
When it comes to small independent skirmish games, most people will lose interest once they realize it's not warhammer/aos/warmahordes.
Which is sad, but comprehensible. They don't want to spend 60+€ on a starter/rules (more if you're expected to demo) for a game that then fails to pick up any interest.
>>
>>49254684
For these reasons I resorted to "collect whatever I want and if anyone's interested, good, but not necessary", plus my brother usually plays whatever is around. Having relatives with interest in wargames is really cool.
>>
>>49237854
They're not orks. They're a mix of toad and bird people as far as I can tell.

I only played wc3 there were no native american orcs, nor have i noticed that anywhere else desu.
Tauren had the whole native american thing going.
>>
>>49255535
They're basically orcs, though not quite GW gorilla men. Confrontation orcs also had some Native style guys but also some mongol/northern asian style dudes too. Drakerys are also an offshoot from the native style rackham ones.
>>
>>49255580
>Drakerys are also an offshoot from the native style rackham ones.
but isn't drakerys made by some of the rackham people? In any case it's not a trend of some sort i noticed.

Had a starter of the Aurlocks kicking around since forever, but it never occurred to me that somebody might think they'd be orcs.
>>
>>49246976
Wrath of Kings, never heard of it. Looks cool thou- oh wait, it had kickstarter exclusives that are not possible to get except for inflated 2nd market prices... dropped.
>>
>>49256217

It had 3 KS exclusive minis anon, hardly the end of the world.

One of them isn't even usable in game and the two that are aren't that amazing.

>>49246976

I wish CMoN would make the effort to push WoK, I love the setting and the minis and the game itself, while simple, has a lot going for it.

Without proper support it doesn't really stand a chance.
>>
>>49256393
Im a completionist, so having any exclusives turns me (and many others) off from a game; except for cosmetic-only items, then i don't care
>>
Am I alone in thinking Darkest Dungeon could make for a good setting for a skirmish game?
>>
>>49256448

Yeah but would you have bought them anyway? I get it with boardgames but with wargames it's pretty retarded unless you buy literally every mini for every faction then you're no more missing out on those two minis than your missing out on other stuff you wouldn't have bought otherwise.

>>49256667

I dunno if the world is ready for a grimdark generic fantasy wargame.

Joking aside I do like the art style and I'd be curious to see if you could capture it in miniatures.
>>
http://blog.untilsomebodylosesaneye.net/2016/09/and-here-they-are.html?fb_ref=Default
If anyone's interested in the new KoW releases, I know some of the people who used to hang out in /kowg/ are here now.
>>
So does anyone here know about freebooters fate? Or kings of war?
>>
>>49257220
Sorry about that meant wrath of kings
>>
>>49257220
>>49257578
Wrath of Kings of War
>>
>>49257994
Kek
>>
>>49256667
Take D&D (OD&D, B/X) or something, strap on the mental health rules from Unknown Armies, use Call of Cthulhu and OD&D as a monster manual.

Oh, and have a DM with the most perfect voice and the ability to spew both short, insightful snippets and the dankest purple prose on demand.
>>
File: 115059.jpg (159KB, 381x542px) Image search: [Google]
115059.jpg
159KB, 381x542px
>>49258258
Isn'that basically pic related?
>>
Polite bump

Do any of you guys actually have your own table? I'm considering it but all my friends have moved away, so I go to club to game anyway.
>>
>>49260571
I have 2 of these mousepad style mats and a few mdf buildings and other terrain pieces so i can use the kitchen table in the rare cases a friend visits to play some games.
>>
>>49260571
I'm planning on doing mine, a foldable empty wooden one, with gaming mats for every occasion. Hopefully I can do it this year and play at home because noone wants to play anything but Warhamster and I don't feel the need to bring my Warzone metals anywhere if there's no interest.
>>
>>49260571
Technically I have two... but they're modular and I take them to the club due to having no room at my own place. Well, there is room but no time without other people around getting in the way, watching TV loudly and so on.
>>
>>49256667
it could work, although personally I kinda want to see a skirmish wargame based on Bloodborne
>>
>>49253476
Thanks for the input. It's been hard to find much info online, since there is such a small playerbase.

I heard about a St. Isaac vs. Ice Caste 2 player starter set in the works, but I wonder if/when they will release an updated Forsaken warband, with the newer sculpts. Would be nice to know before I go and pick one up.
>>
>>49246976
As someone who just wants Confrontation to not be dead, it doesn't entirely do it for me.

Take pic related for example. Every single model in a 10 man unit has a legitimately unique sculpt. No identical twins or anything. Then look at let's say Goritsi war dancers. You are going to have a total of three different poses, and even then everyone looks very similar. As a result you are going to have a ton of identical twins. What is even the point of painting the exact same model over and over again?

I felt that as CMoN owns the rights to Confrontation, they should have just started making the old figures again (And don't give me that bullshit about destroyed molds, they do sell newer casts of Confrontation figures in their webstore) and kickstarted a ruleset that doesn't suck along with new figures. The WoK factions just don't interest me as opposed to the somewhat standard fantasy factions that Confrontation had.
>>
File: zombiewarriors.jpg (141KB, 1023x920px) Image search: [Google]
zombiewarriors.jpg
141KB, 1023x920px
>>49263887
Forgot pic
>>
>>49263887
Can't you still get them through Cadwallon?
>>
>>49258258
>>49258899
Sounds more like Shadow of the Demon Lord to me
>>
File: NeriticHorrorSculpt1-1024x869.jpg (102KB, 1024x869px) Image search: [Google]
NeriticHorrorSculpt1-1024x869.jpg
102KB, 1024x869px
>>49263922
Oh you can, in fact I prefer a lot of their newer figures as opposed to somewhat lame models like this one

>>49264032
Shadow of the Demon Lord is a D20 OGL game whereas Lamentations of the Flame Princess is a B/X (OD&D) clone.
>>
>>49264085
And Darkest Dungeons is neither so does it matter at all?
>>
>>49264433
He said
>>49258258
>Take D&D (OD&D, B/X)
LotFP is a derviative of B/X whereas SotDL isn't
>>
>>49253537

In my opinion a lot of the models are pretty hit or miss visually, which is a shame since the ones I do like look really great.

Even the ones that I dislike still show a pretty good level of sculpting.
>>
>>49263569
updated starters are coming not 100% sure when. Ill try and dig up a pic. 2player starter should be cool.
>>
>>49266918
I read that Kukulkani is getting a new starter box, possibly as soon as October. I figure Forsaken, Outlanders, Skaard, and Dragyri are next in line, with Brood and Core being sort of up in the air.
>>
I dont like confrontation anon
>>
>>49269183
Nothing wrong with that, the game died for a good reason. I just wanted to point out how lame the factions and models in WoK are in comparison.
>>
File: xtZRa6p.jpg (193KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
xtZRa6p.jpg
193KB, 960x720px
>>49269166
yea 500 point starters are coming. Drag and skarrd are probably delayed until newer sculpts.
>>
>>49272298
>this will never be my local store
I hate living in the boonies
>>
File: l8u6pof.jpg (134KB, 960x610px) Image search: [Google]
l8u6pof.jpg
134KB, 960x610px
>>49273670
too be fair thats from gencon, ice caste resculpt coming with the Dragyri book.
>>
>>49274675
even so, my local store only stocks shitty GW and some basic, mismatched mantic stuff.
>>
File: giantbarbarianwithsword2_copy.jpg (50KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
giantbarbarianwithsword2_copy.jpg
50KB, 400x400px
>>49263903
> Knocked-knee poses.
Confrontation made some BEAUTIFUL models, but it kills me that they had so many goofy-stupid poses.
>>
>>49275730
thats an ugly mini despite the pose
>>
>>49272298
Well, I guess I should wait a little bit before I pick anything up. Gives me some time to work on other projects, and save up a little.
>>
>>49275730
Its skeletons, so its kinda ok
>>
Page 9 bump
>>
>>49210004
Anyone recommend any decent Mad Max/Gorkamorka style rules set? Miniatures as well?
>>
>>49278903
gorka morka
>>
>>49278903
Atomic Highway

It has official miniatures
>>
>>49247079
Never heard of 35mm before. Are there any nice producers of contemporary/scifi 32mms?
>>
>>49281362
> 32mms

Its just a code for heroic 28mm
>>
>>49281392
>Implying
Malifaux figures are certifiably larger than GW's heroic 28mm minis. It depends on manufacturer and how they brand it of course. Hell Dorado stuff is labeled as 32mm but is only as tall as GW's 28mm.
>>
Has anybody used the Grey aliens from Reaper before?
>>
>>49279691
Hmmm, I do like Gorkamorka I suppose.
>>49279700
Cheers, will check them out.
>>
File: 4e2d838beddc6c698b002c8b.jpg (22KB, 367x332px) Image search: [Google]
4e2d838beddc6c698b002c8b.jpg
22KB, 367x332px
>>49281392
...goddammit.
>>
File: 1473455524229.jpg (955KB, 1672x1896px) Image search: [Google]
1473455524229.jpg
955KB, 1672x1896px
So there are several UT maps that are just somebody's living room.

Have you ever tought about using a part of your house as it is for a game?
>>
>>49282679
There was a miniatures game based the idea like that. It was things like gremlins and the Lilliputians fighting it out on any space you had available.
>>
I've never played any miniature games. What's a good cheap one to get into?
Preferably fantasy or scifi
>>
>>49283401
There are literally thousands m8, you're probably going to need to be more specific about what you want to play.
>>
>>49283401
I recommend looking for a group/club in your area or a local hobby store and go there to talk with people and see what the majority is playing in your area.

The best (or cheapest) game is no use if you have nobody to play with.
>>
>>49283401
If you don't have any specific preferences, see what you can make your friends play with you or what people at nearby stores and clubs play. Then get into that.

As far as cheap ones that other people actually play go, I play Malifaux which due to the average full army having like 8 figures is pretty reasonably priced. Flames of War can be really cheap if you use PSC minis and Zvezda tanks, but that isn't sci-fi or fantasy.
>>
File: CCC.jpg (154KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CCC.jpg
154KB, 1024x1024px
>>49283401
The trick is that many are really cheap to jump into (~$50 for a starter, lots of games are moving to having free rules online, minus the fluff, etc.), but it is likely you will want to expabd your faction's options.

I can't vouch for the mk2 rules, and it has a low playerbase, but for $35 you can pick up a full faction of MERCS. $130 gets you two full factions of your choice and the hardcover rulebook to split with a friend, or to run demos with to start up in your area if no one else plays. Since you don't have anything to expand on beyond that $35 initial cost other than a whole new faction), it is really cheap, and has no costs beyond start-up. It is near-future, conventional combat, though, instead of scifi.

Maybe Infinity for scifi? Expensive individual prices, but very few needed for most lists (especially elite factions like CA and Aleph). Scifi, but probably big enough to be off-topic for the thread.
>>
Interest bump
>>
>>49282802
Plus Fairy Meat has been mentioned here already.
>>
>>49281362
>>49281392
>>49281873
35mm is 35mm. Not code for anything.
Check out the minis from Enigma.
Great stuff, but quite a bit taller than 28mm, but so, so much more detailed than the average GW mini.
>>
>>49283401
I'd probably say Infinity? You don't need to invest several monthly payments to get half an army, the game's widely spread and played and it's got the right amount of rule complexity and lots of tacticool decision, while still being pretty streamlined and fast to play. Nice variety of factions and models too.
>>
>faggots in this thread dont play solo

faggpts
>>
>>49258899
No, because a) it's not that, and b) it's shit.

the UA bit is the most important thing really.
>>
Any recommendations for decent multiplayer skirmish games? We've played Mordheim and Necromunda campaigns and enjoyed them but want something different. Looked at open combat but not sure if its what we want? Flexible campaign rules would be good
>>
>>49291124
Check 5core/fivecore or however its written.

Its generic and not limited to any time period.
There is a medieval spinoff as well as specific rules for WW2, but you don't need those if you don't want to fight in that periods.

Great stuff for campaigns.
>>
>>49291145
Speaking of FiveCore, Ivan literally just released a supplement for mini campaigns in occupied cities that's aimed at solo play (doesn't have to be solo though).

Good news for people like me who have no friends.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/193097/FiveCore-Sandbox-Infantry-Patrols-in-occupied-territory?cPath=23449_23825
>>
>>49291158
Oh wow, i totally missed that one.

>Good news for people like me who have no friends.

;_; same here, but i found that 5 men in Kursk works perfectly fine alone too.
>>
>>49291145
Thanks, I'll have a look.
>>
>>49291169
Yeah, Ivan's stuff tends to have a pretty solid solo mode.

Makes sense, really. He knows he's publishing for a fairly niche section of a niche hobby so people will be more likely to buy his games if they can still play them even if they can't find a group.
>>
File: iron_special_col_flame.jpg (256KB, 600x439px) Image search: [Google]
iron_special_col_flame.jpg
256KB, 600x439px
page 10 bump
>>
>>49283401
Fantasy try something like songs of blades and heroes and Reaper Bones figures you like.
Sci Fi try and look at whats played in the area, 40k Kill team aint horrible and is in fact cheap to play. Infinity and Dark Age have free rules online.
>>
>>49229012
>>49229600

Except they're still pulling the same shit. Remember that Silly Space Crusade game they announced? Prodos went silent on the release date and nobody has heard a peep out of them since. That was in July and people are starting to ask where their games are. Prodos are just not answering. I've even heard of some of the retailers who were offering the pre-order asking if customers want refunds.

Prodos make great minis, but I'd never buy anything direct from them. Buy from a third-party retailer like Wayland games instead.
>>
>>49278903
GW did make a Mad Max style game at one point. It's called 'Dark Future'. It has Elvis in it.
>>
>>49292901
That some 15mm figs? They look nice.
But who the fuck pours a bucket of sand and gravel onto the table as terrain?
>>
>>49298243
28mm, Ramshackle games. The sand thing was probably just for the photoshoot, although I've seen people do it with kids playsand and a sheet. You can just pour the sand off the sheet when you're done.
>>
>>49298243
Seems to happen a lot for people who do conventions, in historicals it's the usual tactic of the infamous Piers Brand.

Cheap and easy way to make it look good in close up photos, though utterly impractical for regular gaming. Same with throwing down loads of extra flock, lichen and clump foliage, though the latter two are much easier to tidy up.
>>
File: KOB-Battleship-Render-MK2-1.jpg (194KB, 1864x964px) Image search: [Google]
KOB-Battleship-Render-MK2-1.jpg
194KB, 1864x964px
>>49210004
>What's your wargaming fantasy? A games room, a fully painted army, your own ruleset published?

A local playerbase for Dystopian Wars. Can't get a game or a proper thread on /tg/ going. How far things have fallen from the days when there would more than 20 replies in a dedicated DW thread.
>>
So would anybody happen to have scans for the lotr miniatures game? Or if the hobbit rules aren't too different then those? I'd like to play again with some friends but can't find my books at all...thanks in advance!

(Anybody else here still play?)
>>
>>49299477
I may still have a scan on my computer at home.
>>
can someone upload fivecore 2nd or 3rd ed?
>>
>>49300154
We generally don't share Ivan's stuff, since not only does he appear on threads in /tg/, but he's pleasantly receptive to the community. Dude deserves his money.
>>
>>49301474
Ahh okay. nevermind then Ill find something else that hopefully fits my needs
>>
>>49301538
What kind of project are you looking to run?
>>
>>49300154
if you are curious how the system works head over to /hwg/ and check out five men in normandy
>>
>>49299613
Thanks! Been looking myself to no avail
>>
>>49301538
eh, check 7chan, they've got a lot of pdfs
>>
>>49302717
Here's the Hobbit rulebook. Its changes a few things, like adding power attacks to weapons.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/979q2sazga8o7xx/Hobbit_SBG_rules_%26_Scenarios.pdf
>>
So what the fuck are Westwind up to at the moment? I still like some of the Secrets of the Third Reich minis but shit's dead.
>>
>>49303127
Oh hang on, there are some 2E banners on the page, maybe they figure they'll get some sales bleed out of Konflikt '47?
>>
>>49303172
>>49303127

Has anybody got news on Secrets of the Third Reich 2E? I've seen the banners but not seen any news, not au fait with any decent wargames news blogs.
>>
>>49298638
>though utterly impractical for regular gaming
Unless you actually set up a dedicated sand table. They can be wonderful for gaming on.
>>
>>49298638
Lichen is by no means impractical, it's ideal for hedges IME and sand for roads is fine on cloth tabletops. Also why is Piers Brand infamous?
>>
>>49303172
They did a Kickstarter waaaaaay before K47 was announced for 2nd ed.
>>
>>49304176
Yeah, and they axed it after about a week because it wasn't trending towards their real, not public, goal.
>>
>>49304213
Ah, didn't know that. That sucks desu.

I have the 1st ed in pdf, not sure if it's needed, but they say it works perfectly as a WW2 game too.
>>
>>49304255
It works better as a WW2 game tbqh, it's a really tight ruleset IMO but they made a poor choice by going statless for units. There's the base human statistic but special units like power armoured soldiers and supernatural units have special rules stacked on top. It works great for flavour but is a pretty terrible idea for usability.

It is a solid set of rules though, the games I've played have had really organically developed realistic fire and movement.
>>
>>49304303
What I like about it is the unlimited ranges for guns. Doesn't work if you play on a barren wasteland as half the 40k crowd, but it's much better with a crowded table.
>>
>>49304334
If you have Doomsday could you please upload it? Want to build a Paras list but I'm at uni.
>>
>>49304501
Sure, here's my SotTR folder:
https://www.mediafire.com/#7dr6nmwabgx35
>>
>>49304623
Cheers, is that the right url though? It just directs me to the main page. Or do I have to be logged in to download from Mediafire these days?
>>
>>49304733
Sorry mate, here's the correct link:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7dr6nmwabgx35/Secrets_of_the_Third_Reich
>>
>>49304759
Cheers m80, could be a good time for me to get back into it.
>>
>>49304788
No probs, have fun. Do you have any painted stuff for it?
>>
I want fivecore stuff, please stop being stingey
>>
>>49304997
Which ones? Ivan put up a bundle with a "pay what you want" pricetag you could get.
>>
>>49305007
I did that and dropped a couple of dollars, which was unfortunately all I had spare. Looking for a specific couple of things desu. Mostly the Battle Pack Issue 3.
>>
>>49304986
No, I started but never finished a Para platoon before my friends and I moved. Most of my games were with a borrowed British platoon.
>>
Has anyone given the new Kings of War historical armies a go? Any thoughts?
>>
>>49305099
WHFB is no more so KoW comes around.
Warhammer Historical is no more so KoW historical armies comes around.

It's only a matter of time now before we get Mantic's spin on GWs specialist games.
What a time to be alive.
I don't count Deadzone as replacement for Necromunda, it's too different.
>>
>>49305134
>It's only a matter of time now before we get Mantic's spin on GWs specialist games.
>forgetting dungeon saga and dreadball
I want to forget dreadball too
>>
>>49305134
>Warhammer Historical is no more so KoW historical armies comes around.
Hail Caesar, War&Conquest and so on and so forth. KoW historical is basically Hollywood Historical Movies - The Wargame. Which is hardly historical.
>>
>>49305244
I asked the original question since my friends and I have a background in WHFB, and I'm trying to get them interested in historicals (namely 1066-War of the Roses).

KoW seems to me like the easiest transition (although I could be wrong, I'm new to historicals myself).
>>
>>49305292
If you have a WHFB background, play Warhammer Ancient Battles. The WAB forum has a pretty extensive army list section, and the rulebooks are in the /hwg/ folders.
>>
>>49305292
If you are playing medieval-early renaissance then Kings of War is probably a decent enough system. I'd definitely recommend it over a system that retains individual casualty removal for massed battles, looking back it's remarkable that I played Warhammer for so long.
>>
>>49292000

Do not search here, go to >>/hwg/, seriously. They know their salt and are really helpful.
>>
>>49305292
Blast it.>>49305437
>>
>>49305134
If Mantic models didn't look like utter bullcrap I'd feel more inclined to share your enthusiasm.
>>
File: enforcer.jpg (170KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
enforcer.jpg
170KB, 500x500px
>>49305509
Yeah, sure, whatever.
>>
>>49305509
They really improved over time.
>>
>>49305549
thats not the best example, I personally think aside from their elves those are their worst line
>>
>>49210632
Oh. They managed to do something with the IP. Nice. If they continue to handle their finances as they have for the last 23 years... That project will fail even when funded. Those guys just don't know how to handle a business.

I like the setting, don't get me wrong. But I'm don't trust them to make it work again. It barely worked back then.
>>
>>49305662
Their fantasy humans are utter trash too, but their demons are pretty nice.

I also like their not-khemri undeads.
>>
>>49305662
>I personally think aside from their elves those are their worst line
And the Elves are quite nice too. So you're subjectively an idiot.
>>
File: elfs.jpg (128KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
elfs.jpg
128KB, 1000x1000px
>>49305743

Not him, but I'm a connoisseur of crap miniatures and even I wouldn't touch most of that range. They look like they've got microcephaly. I even tried to be objective and post one of the average units, not the awful ones.
>>
>>49210004
>Thread Question
I would love to have my own rulebook published. I've actually been working on it for quite some time now, but I don't know even where to begin looking for a publisher. The same thing happened when me and my friend anon wrote up a short graphic novel inspired by the video game Dying Light. Are there any publishers who are good with first time exposure stuff, or is it impenetrable?
>>
File: DSCF1440.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1440.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
>>49305791
You need to look at them with a decent paintjob, with metallic armor, they look retarded. They are suitable elvish, and remind me a bit of Lorwyn and other assorted M:tG elves - my only problem is with the plastic archers, who the fuck thought holding shields in one hand would be a good idea?
>>
Has anyone had any experience with freebooters fate?
>>
Does anyone have any experience with wyrd miniatures? Was looking to buy some of their plastic models. How is the quality? How is the shipping and all that?
>>
>>49301474
I dunno if he appears in threads but he's definitely aware of us. We even got a shoutout in an email newsletter once.
>>
>>49305816
even that picture makes them look awful
>>
>>49305791
I always wondered if they'd look a lot better with simple headswaps.
Problem is, most heads will just be way too big for them.

>>49305851
They models are high quality and very detailed. Some people bitch about them being fiddly and hard to put together, but I just can't see it. Some pieces are small, but unless you have Parkinsons, you should be fine.
>>
File: BA0270.jpg (55KB, 534x600px) Image search: [Google]
BA0270.jpg
55KB, 534x600px
>>49305791
To be fair I think the elves line was one of Mantic's first lines for KoW. Compare that to some of GW's first minis. Though I agree it's certainly due for an update given how their more recent plastics have been pretty good.
>>
>>49308340
>was one of
It was the first.
>>
>>49308340
No, we don't need to defend them. They are pretty crappy and comparing them to thirty years old models doesn't help anyone.
Crappy models are just that, crappy. They are cheap and some people like them and that's nice, but we really don't have defend it when Mantic puts out low quality.
>>
>>49308396
>liking models are now defending a company
>>
>>49308340
That Elf is better than the Mantic elves though.
>>
>>49308709
The nostalgia factor can be strong, but unless you're a GW employee, that metal elf is not that good. Wonder when Shieldwolf will FINALLY release their own tho, since no really good options to make a big Elven army - the 5th or 6th ed hamfisted heroic GW elves are really meh.
>>
>>49308783
>nostalgia

I have never even seen that model before, I just prefer how it looks to the Mantic elf design.
>>
>>49305791
>I'm a connoisseur of crap miniatures
MY GLORIOUS FRIEND

I love a good unit of dorky-as-fuck minis.
>>
>>49308783
GW plastic woodelves are nice, their dark/high elves not so much besides a few minis.
>>
>>49307032
There are some extreme ones though, which are the ones people usually complain about. Things like the skulls on Abuela Ortega's hat being separate pieces, or the feet as separate, connecting at the ankle, on the Gremlins.
>>
>>49305999
why was this deleted?
>>
File: 218.png (216KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
218.png
216KB, 500x625px
>>49305681
>>
Is there a skirmish game where mental health is a stat?
Like models getting mental illnesses if the stat gets too low.
>>
>>49314297
Kingdom Death can have you develop disorders, otherwise they're more like debuffs.
>>
>>49314766
Most of them are. A select few are actually beneficial.

The really bad ones, though, can just outright make a character worthless if you're unlucky enough to get them.
>>
anyone gonna make a new thread?
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.