[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's assume that it's not a persons actions that make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1425537119584.jpg (204KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1425537119584.jpg
204KB, 800x1000px
Let's assume that it's not a persons actions that make them evil, but the reasoning and mindset behind them.

If that's true, when should a paladin be considered to have fallen?
>>
File: paladins.jpg (51KB, 736x512px) Image search: [Google]
paladins.jpg
51KB, 736x512px
When he begins doubting in himself and his actions, he starts losing power. This has a side effect of producing single-minded zealots, who don't believe they can do wrong, while any insecure or overly analytical paladins are unreliable - who knows when he starts questioning his actions for a bullshit reason?
>>
>>49208868

When they stop caring about the negative side effects of their actions.
>>
>>49208868
Shouldn't this be the general case?
After all the person is imbued with the alignment. Not the action.
>>
>>49208868
>Broken reasoning for the greater good.
>Cannot fall because he still thinks he is doing the right thing and acording to his religion that's what counts.
>Evil chararacter does all kinds of good deeds for selfish reasons.
>Paladin and evil guy end killing each other.
>Paladin goes to heaven and evil guy to hell, despite the Paladin actually doing more harm than the evil guy.

*Players ragequit
>>
>>49208868
>>49209169
>Let's assume that it's not a persons actions that make them evil, but the reasoning and mindset behind them.
>Shouldn't this be the general case?

So, if someone thinks they're doing good, but is such a massive fuckup and/or so sheltered or ignorant or insane that everything they do causes misery for everyone, they're not evil?

Say, for example, a religious zealot who believes torturing people until they cry to be forgiven for all their sins, and then murdering them immediately, would be a way to ensure everyone gets into heaven - this person wouldn't be evil?
>>
>>49209284
That's a difficult question, but I think the fact that the man's mindset is twisted so that he can't properly perceive the reality of his actions would still make it evil.

The main reason I brought up this idea is because with paladins, there's still a lot of debate over things like the orc baby scenario, or what can truly be considered a just action. I figure that if a paladin were to kill or punish for the sake of justice or goodness, that wouldn't be worthy of falling, but if they started striking out with hatred and greed, that would make them fall.
>>
>>49209284
I prefer that compared to something bad happened due a ricochet of a good deed that suddenly put the character is on the same level as puppy dog slaughterer.
>>
>>49208868

When they think they are doing evil stuff because they are evil.

This is why you measure shit in deeds and not thought.
>>
>>49208868
Since everyone has doubts and moments of irrational anger, hatred, fear; nobody can be a paladin under this scenario.
>>
>>49211568
It's not evil to have such thoughts.
It's evil when those figurative control you and make you loose your moral constraints and do evil acts on your own accord.
So basically yes you could become evil before committing an evil act but only at the point of no return of becoming evil.
Of course people can repent but After passing this point it is not that easy.
>>
>>49211711
So instead of separating thoughts and deeds, you have to combine them both to understand the morality of the situation?

Well that was surprisingly easy.
>>
>>49208868
An evil man which does good is evil,
but a good man which does evil is good?
>>
>>49208868
When they think they have.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.