[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does every D&D edition since 1e place so much hype and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1470352285253.jpg (36KB, 353x356px) Image search: [Google]
1470352285253.jpg
36KB, 353x356px
Why does every D&D edition since 1e place so much hype and word count in the DMG for "the planes" when nobody gives a rat's fucking ass about the planes and the heavens and the hells unless they're specifically playing in Planescape?
>>
>when nobody

I care.
>>
>>49194850
I feel bad for you for how shit your group is.
>>
File: 1449727058708.png (192KB, 555x400px) Image search: [Google]
1449727058708.png
192KB, 555x400px
>>49194850
The 5e DMG a lot of optional stuff that nobody uses.
Like +2 equipment. And downtime options. And magic item crafting. And all of the variant rules.
>>
>>49195009
I literally use all of it. The combat actions alone add a ton to the game.
>>
>>49195034
Your group is blessed. I hope they appreciate you.
>>
The Planes are amazing. Even when I am not doing anything around Sigil, they remain a fascinating part of the game that presents unique challenges and story telling options.

>tl;dr- git gud op
>>
>>49194850
From the very beginning, D&D's authors had a proclivity for statting out and describing things that are way more interesting if left mysterious and unpredictable.

I look at it as a charming eccentricity (and ignore it completely in my homebrews).
>>
I'm not playing Planescape, and I was exploring the planes quite a bit.
>>
>>49195034
>using Magic Item crafting.

Ugh. That system is useless, or worse than useless, at least in settings where you're supposed to be able to craft stuff quickly and efficiently, like Eberron.
>>
I honestly fucking hate the default planar cosmology too. Shit's stupid as fuck.
>>
>>49195855
>D&D's authors had a proclivity for statting out and describing things that are way more interesting if left mysterious and unpredictable.

This pretty much sums up my feelings towards "traveling costs" in games. A ton of systems put entire tables for things like "costs of traveling by ____ per day" or "costs of lodging", but they frankly could be left out entirely. Sure, let's say it costs 1 silver piece per mile of wagon travel, but that means you have to now measure out the distancances between destinations that more than likely aren't even going to be straight lines. Never mind that prices are probably going to vary wildly based on the type of transport as well as the guy in charge, rendering the tables completely moot.

Less is more when it comes to world building, and I'd rather some details be left ambiguous for the GM to solve rather than some hyper-structured settings that just get retconned anyway when some writer who doesn't bother to do the research decides to wing it.
>>
>>49196563
It's really just there as a suggestion (though I could see it being saved as fluff for a sourcebook, rather than in the main rules), so you can avoid arguments about what qualifies as a reasonable price in this setting. Quite often you'll need to estimate distances anyway, to have an idea how long it will take to get there, whether you can make it on one day or have to stop to make camp, etc.
>>
>>49195920
>it's useless in the narrowest niche circumstances.
5e doesn't have magic marts, magic items retain value like gemstones instead of trade goods. You are forced to sell low so a shop can sell it at cost.

Then again, I think focusing on crafting is stupid in D&D and primarily used because 3.pf made it cheap and easy and tossed magic items around like candy.
>>
>>49195034
But doesn't some of the stuff contradict?
I wish my DM used the spell point system. We play online so it's not even more bookkeeping really.
>>
>>49196776
I like crafting magic items, it lets me make cool things and feel like I have cool gadgets.
>>
>>49195934
Me too. I like to use the planes, but have to make my own cosmology because the one in the DMG makes no damn sense
>>
>>49197448
I have more than one game, though I've honed in my favorites.
>>
>>49197493
If you wanted cool utility belt shit I would work with you on that.
>>
>>49198141
Sure, but it's nice to have a built in thing, and it's not like 5e really doesn't dish out a lot of magical items already, it's just not as easy or cool to make them yourself, and you don't have as many +x weapons/armors.

Though the Underdark campaign gives a lightsaber that's pretty much a holy avenger at level 5 so it's not even like it adheres to this concept itself
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.