[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

40K setting building questions I'm running a campaign and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 14

File: 1472508517991.jpg (260KB, 909x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1472508517991.jpg
260KB, 909x1240px
40K setting building questions
I'm running a campaign and I want to ask about the possibility of said quests.

>Daemon energy expenditure
When Imperial guardsmen kill a bloodthirster, is the "khorne" energy generated by the guardsmen enacting violence enough to spawn a new bloodthirster?

>Pariah breeding program
The pariah gene is by definition genetic, could it be possible to clone/breed pariahs? Do pariahs affect each other?
>>
>>49192344
>Pariah breeding program
Earth has a population of around 7 billion
We would have around 7 pariahs on this planet, and thats if they haven't been killed yet.
They usually live on the outskirts of society, or are drifters, so you would have a hard time finding them.

I don't think you could deprive the Assassinorium of their culexus assassins for long enough to get a breeding program going since they need people NOW and not in sixteen years
>>
File: Karo-light-corn-syrup.jpg (24KB, 641x427px) Image search: [Google]
Karo-light-corn-syrup.jpg
24KB, 641x427px
>>49192344
>"khorne" energy
>>
>>49192702
I think OP means the psychic energy generated by anger or wargarsm
>>
>>49192344
No.
Yes but only via some some techheresy such as artificial insemination run on industrial scale.
>>
File: AAAAA FATHERLAND.png (62KB, 138x169px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAA FATHERLAND.png
62KB, 138x169px
>>49192344
While I have heard of the general gore, viscera, and 'fightiness' of massive battlefields causing demons to drag themselves into creation out of the muck, but if its just the one bloodletter I dont see it happening.

If things reach that point you already have way bigger problems
>>
File: 1339557697501.jpg (41KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1339557697501.jpg
41KB, 400x400px
>>49192344
>Just realized that was a female catachan
>>
>>49192771
>While I have heard of the general gore, viscera, and 'fightiness' of massive battlefields causing demons to drag themselves into creation out of the muck
Sweet Emperor preserve us that's fucking terrifying. So a bloody battle with the Orks could possibly spawn a daemon out of nowhere?

But actual OP here, I was referring to giving Khorne enough energy to replace the daemonic energy expended in the material realm being refunded by the war-ness given to him during the actual fight.
>>
>>49192755
>artificial insemination run on industrial scale.
Judging by whats happening on Krieg, I don't see that being an issue for the Imperium, just imagine an entire army of warp immune soldiers that are invisible to daemons
>>
No such thing as a free lunch. Whatever fightiness is happening involving the bloodthirster, it's probably the one absorbing that psychic fighty emotion at the time, not the Khornate blood bank.
>>
>>49192914
So basically a Khornate daemon fighting on the field is expending enough energy to have a negative sum game?

I'm trying to see if you could eventually bleed Khorne dry with enough dispassionate combat
>>
>>49192914
Veinbreaker&Slaughterway&Finkelstein LLC
>>
>>49192862
Pariahs are serious bad mojo, getting several of them together is usually bad idea, much less a whole damn platoon. You couldn't even ship them anywhere, warp drive would not work when they are onboard. Or would work in a way you really really don't want to happen.
>>
>>49192344
What would two pariahs banging even look like?
>>
>>49193021
>warp drive would not work when they are onboard. Or would work in a way you really really don't want to happen.
This right here might be the single largest problem with Pariahs
but would a platoon of them really be enough to disrupt warp engines the size of a goddamn ship? How powerful are pariahs exactly?
>>
>>49193028
Pariah's have no sense of social decorum, shame, or self awareness, they are basically Imperium sanctioned anti-daemon anti-psyker murder autists.

Probably if you put two of them in a room together that were in the mood they would mindlessly bone each other with no real understanding of why they were doing it or what was going on, possible consequences or care in the world. So probably the sloppiest sex possible without a care of the other one having a good time, just constant rutting until they got tired. Probably wouldn't even change positions or snuggle.
>>
File: 4f4.jpg (48KB, 600x587px) Image search: [Google]
4f4.jpg
48KB, 600x587px
>>49193114
>Probably wouldn't even change positions or snuggle.
>>
>>49192956

Yes, because it has to expend energy both to break into and then exist in physical reality. For example, look at Dawn of War 1's Bloodthirster, which continuously loses health when it's not in combat because it doesn't have enough violence feeding it.

However, your problem is that 'dispassionate war' isn't going to exist en masse in 40k. Heretics exist. Xenos exist. Hell, there's enough internal wars within the Imperium to fuel Khorne (consider the constant violence happening inside Underhives). That's ignoring more deliberate circumstances like boneweed infestation, gladiatorial combats, proliferation of combat drugs, death cults, et cetera.
>>
>>49193189
>Xenos exist
Tau give off such negligible energy they might as well not exist
Eldar have cut off all their emotions that might feed the warp
DE exist in such small quantity they might as well not count

Humans on the other hand are 500 trillion feeling sentient animals just in the official Imperium. If you converted all of them to a form of zen Buddhism you might be able to actually starve chaos to death.
>>
>>49192838
>But actual OP here, I was referring to giving Khorne enough energy to replace the daemonic energy expended in the material realm
He already gets it back. When a daemon dies it's banished back into the warp. Supposedly there's a respawn timer (a thousand years for a daemon prince in the Grey Knights omnibus) but M'kar for example seems to come back quick enough.
>>
>>49192520
maybe it was done by extremists, who have been at the game for generations, the sons and daughters of the original inquisitors, and if they ever found they would be in trouble
>>
>>49193236
>He already gets it back. When a daemon dies it's banished back into the warp.
God damn daemons and their impossible to cut off supply lines.
The IOM needs to get some paranormal researchers into figuring out exactly how such energy is transferred and how to stop it from getting to the warp

or even better how to make a negative form of such energy and fire literal bolts of love and peace at Khorne daemons
>>
>>49192838
>bloody battle with the Orks
I was thinking a battle with demons/chaos, with all that ambient evil shit in the air
>>
>>49193278
>if they ever found they would be in trouble
Why? wouldn't more pariahs just mean more recruits for the Assassin temple Culexus?
>>
>>49193282
Well, there are cases of daemons being killed so hard that their forms can no longer be present in the Warp, and so they are dead for good, but usually is because that last blow was "blessed" by the Emperor himself or the attacker was really pissed off.

Also, I have a question:
How would you put the Salamanders as the "bad guys" of a story? I have the itch to write something and I thought it would be interesting.
>>
>>49193533
>but usually is because that last blow was "blessed" by the Emperor himself or the attacker was really pissed off.
Pariahs also insta-kill daemons

>How would you put the Salamanders as the "bad guys" of a story?
Center it around xenos. Salamanders may be kind to humans but they're still xeno-baby killers.
>>
>>49193628
>Pariahs
meant Culexus assassins. Dunno if a bog standard pariah is blank enough to True Death a daemon.
>>
>>49193232

Sorry, I probably should've worded that better. I didn't mean "xenos exist" as in they give the Chaos Gods energy; I mean that they engage in their own warfare with humanity. It doesn't matter how well you've trained your soldiers when a Dark Eldar raiding party drops out of the webway right beside your Hive City and cuts a bloody swathe right through its industrial sector.

As far as widespread Buddhism goes, I'm not sure it'd be any more effective than widespread Christianity ever caused the West to be a haven of charity and pacifism, or the Imperial Cult convinced humanity to stop worshipping Chaos Gods. Religious doctrine represents the best possible outcome, not the average outcome, of its worshippers.
>>
File: 1330571640621.jpg (5KB, 149x155px) Image search: [Google]
1330571640621.jpg
5KB, 149x155px
>>49193114
>Probably wouldn't even change positions or snuggle.
>>
>>49192810
>Just realized that was a female catachan

Catachan don't raise no pussy bitch. Every Catachan woman is pretty ripped, and just as hardass as the men (if not moreso).

It's kind of ironic how Catachan is one of the most egalitarian planets in the Imperium - In a world so brutally lethal that literally everything in the environment is trying to kill you, you don't have the luxury of sexism. If they can pull their weight, you pretty much have to accept them.
>>
>>49194629
Not to mention they are shorter but heavier than normal humans due to higher gravity.
So basically Catachans are all strongfat mode
>>
>>49193056
The more powerful ones can kill Eldar and psykers just by touching them, or even just standing in the same area. The average pariahs can straight up stop all warp activity (read: warp fuckery) in a certain radius around them.
>>
>>49195485
Any way to block said anti-warp fuckery?
Like a big lead box?
>>
>>49195534
>>49195485
A strong enough psyker (alpha level human psyker) could actually feed a steady stream of warp fuckery into the pariah to cancel out their draining effect

Emprah himself kept pariahs around him all the time (sisters of silence)
>>
>>49195534
Well, the Imperium has a special device that blocks their null field whenever the pariahs are not in use. But other than that, the only way I can see you blocking it is by having a more powerful psyker block them, but I'm not even sure that's possible given that pariahs literally eat warp energy.
>>
>>49195627
>>49195615
>Mr. Culexus
Their pariah sometimes stands next to the psykers during warp jumps to drink excess warp fuckery
>>
>>49195191
>they are shorter but heavier than normal humans due to higher gravity.

They're actually generally pretty tall, usually towering over normal humans and being only a few inches shorter than the average Space Marine.

Catachans are basically the biggest a base human can get without suffering Gigantism.
>>
File: 564645156451241.jpg (97KB, 757x734px) Image search: [Google]
564645156451241.jpg
97KB, 757x734px
>>49194629
>>49196319

Essentially mini ogyrns.

In other art pieces you start to question

I just learned the fucking commissar is a women in this one
>>
>>49196374
>commissar is a women
Think about it, it would be the perfect mindfuck for most guardsmen.
The male protective instinct and urge to impress mixed with the very real fear that she might put her bolt pistol to you at any moment.
>>
>>49196374
Kind of, except Catachans are actually pretty fuckin smart, even by human standards.

Stupid people don't last long on Catachan.
>>
>>49196641

Its an even bigger mindfuck for Catachans the look on that guardsman face is just "I really want to kill this bitch but Tak is really liking her"
>>
File: 546454576414.jpg (260KB, 861x1087px) Image search: [Google]
546454576414.jpg
260KB, 861x1087px
>>49196737

Even Catachans got the universes smartest ogryn!
>>
>>49196746
Goddamn Tak is always getting sweet on the female political officers
>>
>>49197054
>>49196746
Tak's dick is gonna get him killed one day
>I wanna stick it in the danger
>Don't stick it in the danger Tak
>I wanna stick it in the danger
>Damnit Tak we talked about this
>I wanna do it
>Don't do it Tak
>Too late
>God damnit Tak
>>
>>49196771
Nork isn't Catachan. He comes from a different, Ogryn world. He just spent a lot of time attached to a Catachan regiment.
>>
>>49192344
>The pariah gene is by definition genetic
A genetic mutation is not necessarily dominant, and possibly not even passable through sexual reproduction. It would take many generations to get any sizeable amount of them.
>When Imperial guardsmen kill a bloodthirster, is the "khorne" energy generated by the guardsmen enacting violence enough to spawn a new bloodthirster?
No, Khorne only gets energy when the bloodshed is done in honourable combat for the sheer sake of bloodshed and glory, not for the defensive purposes and "oh shit please don't kill me" mindset of IG.
>>
>>49197084

Dont forget Cortez in the sentinal fuckin Cortez is one wild mother fucker when it comes to sentinels
>>
>>49197098

Id still like to think Nork serves Straken now even after Greiss died/Retired?
>>
>>49197115
>Cortez, do you read me
>Loud and clear
>Cortez, you don't have to do the machine noises with your mouth, the legs do that by themselves
>Understood (machine noises)
>Cortez, I swear if you make those pew pew pew noise and sweep us with the guns again I will climb up there and kick your ass
>>
>>49197084
>>49197054
>>49196746
>>49196737
>>49196641
>>49196374
>>49197250
>>49197115
Catachan: The planet's biggest export is ripped dudes and women who are so used to death and other shit that they fuck around in warzones for laughs.
>>
File: 11541215151512.jpg (8KB, 300x132px) Image search: [Google]
11541215151512.jpg
8KB, 300x132px
>>49197336

We might be throwing shit but if I recall the Catachan codex had a Cadian sergeant run into a Catachan one on some random death world with the Cadian complaining how could anyone fight here and the Catachan replies with "This place? This place is a vacation compared to where im from brother"
>>
File: 64572819458.jpg (952KB, 1280x1856px) Image search: [Google]
64572819458.jpg
952KB, 1280x1856px
>>49196374
>>49196737
>>49196746
>>49197054
>>49197084
>>49197115
>>49197250
>>49197442

Catachans need more books holy shit
>>
>>49197442
Fair cop.

For some reason, now I'm just picturing a dream team of elite troopers from every famous Guard regiment in the setting, and they just get together for poker night every couple of weeks.

It'd be a dope-ass poker game.
>>
>>49197336

Like actual U.S. marines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeUYE1XNO5E
>>
File: 1415947971635.gif (174KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1415947971635.gif
174KB, 500x375px
>>49197542

>Catachan story where each character is just Ray,Brad, and Trombley on deployment
>have to drag around a Imperial scribe
>>
>>49197578
I actually ran an Only War adventure like that for my players. They weren't Catachans, but they were a homebrew regiment.

The reporter turned out to be fucking useful a few times as a random support NPC and they liked my portrayal of him to the point that they asked if he could stick around like Higgins from the Starship Troopers cartoon and be a member of the squad.
>>
>>49193114

Source? Because there are lots of books featuring Pariahs that are just normal people who everyone else hates for no reason at all.
>>
>>49197542
Well, that's literally who Catachans are based off of: Vietnam-era USMC and Green Berets.

I'm reminded of something my (Army) bull told me about marines:

>There are two types of Marines, and exactly zero others.

The first type is your average, knucklehead dude who shoots first and asks questions later. He's probably not too bright, but he's not a complete idiot - he'll accomplish the mission you give him, but you may not like how he does it. He doesn't mind living in shitty conditions, because his whole life was probably shitty before he joined the Marines. All he can do in life is royally fuck shit up, but he is extremely good at this - to the enemy and to the poor brothels he frequents. He likes to kill the enemy, which is good, but he's also pretty over the top about it and can get too into it and get into trouble.

The other type is the reserved, quieter dude, who is actually extremely intelligent. This guy is usually an NCO or officer. He's incredibly intense, and unlike the knucklehead, he doesn't not mind living the shit life of a Marine - he loves every goddamn minute of it. He doesn't revel in killing - he feels nothing at all when he does it, and that's even worse than the knucklehead. Of all the Marines, this Marine is the one you should be the most afraid of, because he will end your life in a heartbeat if he thinks that's what it takes to accomplish his mission.
>>
>>49197695
There's no source. It's just fap-bait put out by a lonely lying anon. Pariahs exist that DO care about decorum and shit, but one of the most well-known Pariahs in the setting, Gunner Jurgen from the Ciaphas Cain novels, happens to be a fucking filthy and disgusting piece of shit that repels everyone with stench alone. Pariahs usually repel people by dint of being just kind of unnerving, so nobody ever really caught onto something specific about Jurgen.

Pariahs aren't even really Imperial-sanctioned. The vast majority of people don't even really know anything about them and those that are in the know find them useful.
>>
>>49197725

Always thought if I should make some scions green berets sadly with the with Jackal color scheme in the end
>>
>>49196319
>>49197336
Now what if they recruited the cream of the crop from Catachan into space marine chapters?

Would we be looking at some primarch level shit?
>>
>>49197982
No, marines already recruit from death worlds similar to Catachan.
>>
>>49195485
>more powerful ones

I always fucking hated this bit in the lore, having varying levels of "blankness". A Pariah should just be a Pariah. Unlovable and has an aura around them that cancels out Warp energies.

>>49195534

Another thing I hate about them is "limiters", a device the Pariah wears that they can switch on and off to stop their Warp-canceling powers.

There's also at least one instance (Ravenor series by Dan Abnett) where a Pariah spends so much time around a latent psyker that it actually "wears out" his psychic blankness and makes him a normal human.

I really wish we could leave untouchables alone. Unlovable, extremely rare, canceling Warp, and that's it. No power levels or special toys.
>>
>>49197982

What >>49197990 said. Death Worlds are a pretty typical recruitment ground, and not every Death World is a jungle planet. It just has to be fucking hostile as shit. Some are deserts and winter wastelands, or water worlds. Most people from these planets in general turn out to be pretty fucking hardcore and ideal Space Marine stock.
>>
File: 1453846904221.jpg (423KB, 900x666px) Image search: [Google]
1453846904221.jpg
423KB, 900x666px
>>49197505
It would probably look something like this
>>
>>49197758
>>49197695
>Source?
None just extrapolation from the fact that they would have zero social interaction with anyone that didn't involve them either running away or violently trying to murder them.
Jurgen wasn't a pariah, he was a blank, which is basically a mini pariah, and even Jurgen basically due to his lack of normal social interaction had basically said "fuck it" at that point.

So imagine someone with literally zero social interaction and therefore skill.
>>
>>49198263
>zero social interaction with anyone that didn't involve them either running away or violently trying to murder them

False, just because they aren't social butterflies doesn't mean it's an immediate 'PURGE THE UNCLEAN' reaction. Pariahs and blanks are identical terms, as I recall (feel free to cite sources to prove I'm wrong, I'll be amenable to it if canon says so).

They wouldn't degenerate into animals in heat upon contact with another pariah, at the very fucking least.
>>
>>49197982
Catachan isn't claimed by any Space Marine chapter, because the Munitorum has already claimed it, and removing their access to Catachans would likely start a war.

The way planet-claiming works is that Space Marines may either "claim" a world, and have that world approved by the Administratum (it usually is), or they're assigned a world on their founding directly by the Administratum. They really can't just walk onto any world and say, "We own this shit now," because claimant by a Space Marine chapter means that that planet no longer produces a tithe of manpower and often resources, all of it instead being funneled into that Chapter so they can function relatively autonomously.
>>
>>49198218

>Oh so thats a difference between Vallhallens and Vostoryans
>And then I told the Commissar
>Why dont you get BLAMMED
>man you Catachans are funny dudes
>He-Hey guys want me to download Sister of battle porn to brother Ezikias CPU?
>>
>>49193232
>DE exist in such small quantity they might as well not count

Maybe in the Maeterium. It was my understanding that Komorah or however you spell it is the size of several solar systems. A "physical" construct the on the scale of a ringworld within the webway.

That's a lot of rape elves.
>>
>>49198218

There's some sort of heresy standing behind the witchhunter. Just realized that.
>>
>>49198494
fuck

they must've partied or something
>>
>>49198427
Correct, but the vast population of commoragh is actually slaves; human slaves andother xeno slaves.

Think of it like any other capitalistic society the 1% are the de the rest are their bitches; pain/ explosive collars keeping the from rising up, plus the fat there are 10s of thousands wraithguard stationed around the city.
>>
>>49192838

The thing about Daemons showing up only usually happens if one of the forces fighting is devoted to Chaos. I suppose if the wall between the materium and immaterium is weak in a certain area it could happen too, but it doesn't just happen out of the blue.

>>49193232

>Tau give off such negligible energy they might as well not exist

Just because the Tau have a weak war presence doesn't mean their actions are also weak.

>Eldar have cut off all their emotions that might feed the warp

The only thing the Craftworld Eldar have done is try to curb themselves so they don't give into excess. They've also created war masks so they don't have to deal with what they did when fighting either as a Guardian or as an Aspect Warrior.

>DE exist in such small quantity they might as well not count

There are more Dark Eldar than there are Eldar, Commorragh is a huge place and the majority of Dark Eldar don't adhere the natural breeding cycle of the Eldar.

>>49193282

There actually are ways to permanently get rid of Daemons, such as banishing them to another dimension.

>>49197105

>No, Khorne only gets energy when the bloodshed is done in honourable combat for the sheer sake of bloodshed and glory, not for the defensive purposes and "oh shit please don't kill me" mindset of IG.

False, any type of violence feeds Khorne.
>>
>>49199353
>>49197105
>False, any type of violence feeds Khorne.
Confirmed, drunken brawls feed khorne, swatting a bug feeds khorne, firing a lasgun at an Ork feeds Khrone.
Are you seeing the problem anon?
>>
>>49199597
No.

This is the way Khorne works. Full stop. This is why Khorne is a Chaos God and not just a stupidly-powerful daemon.
>>
File: Khorne_by_alexboca.jpg (277KB, 1136x811px) Image search: [Google]
Khorne_by_alexboca.jpg
277KB, 1136x811px
>>49199597
>I swat a fly.
Khorne gets a insignificant amount of power.
>I brutally murder my family.
Registers.
>Exterminate a planet personally in the name of khorne.
Murder boner supreme.
>Defend from khornate warlord.
It sustains the murder boner that khorne always has because this is always happening.
>>
>>49192838
>So a bloody battle with the Orks could possibly spawn a daemon out of nowhere?
In the Deathwatch Codex, a bunch of Orks started fighting each other near the Eye of Terror and the Deathwatch was sent to stop them before Khorne could send his minions to join the intergalactic mosh pit. Funnily enough, one of those orks was Tuska Daemon-Killa.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.