[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does your setting (homebrew or published) have so many "gods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 41778124_p0.jpg (392KB, 1000x1431px) Image search: [Google]
41778124_p0.jpg
392KB, 1000x1431px
Why does your setting (homebrew or published) have so many "gods for adventurers" with portfolios irrelevant to the common man, and not enough gods that would actually be popular in any civilized society, like gods of fertility, agriculture, and prosperity?
>>
>>49186476

That's a blatant lie, the most important gods and goddesses of my setting are associated with commerce, travel, agriculture, weather and the sun.
>>
>>49186519
This. Unless there's a god of 10ft pole or rope, there's no adventurer pandering god
>>
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
>>
>>49186476

It doesn't. It primarily has 9 gods, Peace, Life, Love, Justice, Work, Weather, Plots, Time, and War, from LG to CE in that order.

Except for a God of Plots and a God of War I'd say most are pretty relevant to the common people.
>>
>>49186476
Sigmar is the protector of the empire, not the murderhobo adventurers within
>>
>>49186519
>>49186550

I take this one step further and have only two deities in my setting's Not!Catholicism.

There is the God of the Sun, associated with the harvest, war, rulership and knowledge, and there's a Goddess of the Moon, associated with fertility, medicine, magic and wisdom.

Literally everything not covered by those are covered by Saints, exemplary men and women who embody specializations of the above two and are revered as models to follow more than deities to worship (there is a Saint for Soldiers, Saint of Sailing, Saint of Animals, etc.) This adds incentive to players since they could become Saints themselves, should they become a paragon of their respective field.

Beyond this religion there are hosts of minor religions built primarily around animism and polytheism, where the primary spirits or gods worshiped involve health and harvest.
>>
>>49186476
I use the Roman, Slavic and Forgotten Realms pantheons in my setting, so your argument is invalid
>>
>>49186476
My setting just worships Heaven, which the people understand to be a whole pantheon driven into hiding by humanity in an acient war of hubris. While those that rose against the gods have fallen, the remaining deities were severely weakened and now pool theirpower and worship until they can grow strong again. Of course, it leaves things up to faith whether a given vision or miracle comes from a benevolent deity or clever devil.
>>
>>49186476

Because many adventurers are heathen pagans spurning the faith of the one true God - who also happens to be a lot less proactive than all the minor gods because he's monitoring the whole universe and is decidedly not omnipotent, even if he is the most powerful being in the setting: the basic idea is that the tens of thousands of planets with sentient life on them all give him varying levels of faith due to them all worshiping the same base concept of a universe creator - said deity doesn't even know how they actually created the universe in the first place, but appears to fill that role as he's the sink of all the plane's faith.

Nevertheless, when he can spare the time to magnify his focus to a specific person, he can do some pretty awesome stuff.
>>
>>49186476
adventures are the closest thing to 'godless' in my setting, as the power of the Exemplars comes from repeated and symbolized archetypical lives.

Adventurers lives are too random and individualized to build up that sort of power, so most either enjoy the freedom of not having an exemplar, or take on the symbols of more 'adventurist' Exemplars like the Golden Fool, the Brave Warrior, the Woodsmen, and some follow the Way of Ketter May.
>>
>>49186647
I'd argue that lots of people plot every day, it's just that most people's plots are pretty small-time.

I'd also argue that war becomes very relevant to large groups of people at once occasionally before fading away until the next royal gets stung by someone else's bee, and any professional soldier is at least somewhat likely to revere a god of war all year round (even if it's just so that later on when they might die they can say "godofwar, you know I'm always good to you, please don't let me die right now").
>>
>>49186647
I'd argue that the God of War is the patron of most people who make their living by violence, be it from gladiators to some guards to brigands to professional soldiers. The God of Plots isn't a "socially acceptable" god to be worshipping, but probably popular with thieves, swindlers, conmen, and other people on the sidelines of society. Even bad guys can be godly, superstitious folks. Depending on its portfolio, it might be popular with tinkers, scholars, and thinkers, particularly the more iconoclastic types.
>>
But it doesnt though...

There is no god for adventurers in my setting there are really only gods made from hobbies and from work.
>>
>>49186793
Mostly this, while my two mains gods cover most portfolios but are also somewhat hands off, there are also lesser patron deities who govern more specific portfolios and tend to be a little more pro-active in the going ons in the world.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.