[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/, I want to make a game about rebels taking down a magocracy.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Fist vs magic.jpg (207KB, 1439x810px) Image search: [Google]
Fist vs magic.jpg
207KB, 1439x810px
/tg/, I want to make a game about rebels taking down a magocracy. If you've read the Bartimaeus trilogy or seen the first season of Korra, you basically know what I've got in mind. It's not gonna be fantasy, I'll be using the tech level of the first half of 20th century. I've got a few questions for you.

1) Since players are muggles, how do I keep their arsenal and abilities interesting? Their enemies will wield all kinds of flashy magic, when they will not.
2) What system do you think I should use? Mutants and Masterminds comes to mind.
3) What do you think of the idea as a whole? Any suggestions for the plot or characters?
>>
>>49185639
1. If tech has reached an industrial revolution/replaceable parts? Guns. Logically guns.
2. Gurps. Very good at running this style if mashup game
3. Make sure the revolution feels natural and not forced. Show the dichotomy, the unfairness, the elitism. Don't talk about it. Demonstrate it. Session 1 should be: "welcome to inequality, population: the pcs"
>>
>>49185639
One advantage they had in Korra was that magic relied on something else (martial arts) which normal people could still learn to counter and also do non-magic versions of themselves. I would recommend thinking about your setting and deciding what the weak point of magic is, of the elements which go into a mage using their powers which is the easiest to neutralize?
>>
>>49186736
I'm thinking PCs will start as normal people, hell, maybe even agents of the regime. A muggle cop, a reporter, a private detective, a courier - then make sure they will be inconvinienced by the magocarcy as much as possible. For example, chief of police suddenly decides that undead will be much better than you at your job, because they don't tire or question orders. You can continue struggling and trying to keep your position, but eventually you either will be replaced, or you'll reach the point where you wish you were. Curfews, raids and random searches and magical surveilance will also be a part of their lives. Goverment may be utterly ruthless, but also incompetent, allowing magical items to fall into criminal hands.
Any other good ways to guide PCs to the path of glorious revolution?
>>
>>49185639
My favorite plotline for this is that the rebels learn to use pact magic, which vastly increases their baseline capabilities and is forbidden magic. For example, an untrained commoner can summon a vestige which summons plate armor and grants armor proficiency. Anyone can learn this, they just have to learn how to do the ritual.

Similarly, anyone can learn to breathe fire with a vestige. Check out 3.5's tome of magic for info. It fits right in with the theme of the bartimaeus trilogy and the first season of korra.
>>
>>49187431
Doesn't using magic to defeat the mages kinda ruin the point of rebelious underdogs? Though, it would probably fit in thematically, opressed becoming the opressors and all.
>>
>>49185639

Have you read Mistborn? The first book has a somewhat similar plot, even though it's a fantasy novel.

The novel's setting has an immortal mage king god with immense power that chose to share a portion of with it's most loyal subjects. This magic is divided in different schools, and most people are only capable of accessing one of those schools. Very occasionally someone capable of using all "schools" of magic at once is born.

Most of world's population don't have any magical power but the nobility, due to their purer bloodlines, has a much higher frequency of magic-capable people born in it.

The protagonists of the first book are mostly second-rate citizens of this realm, usually bastards from nobles with purer bloodlines, capable of magic, but without the money, status or influence. They are also sought after and executed by the king's special Magic Inquisition Police Force, which are basically the Sentinels from X-Men.
>>
>>49185639
I dunno, but if you go with magocracy+tech then it means magitech (realistically speaking), and once the setting has magitech the plausibility of an anti-magic cult should drop sharply.

When literally everything in the world runs on magic, the tech to produce energy from any other source probably doesn't exist and was most likely never even explored. So any anti-magic movement would automatically roll with a "Let's go back to the stone age!" message. And that wouldn't make them very popular. Or even sensible for that matter.

So... a villain party I guess? Machine Breakers 2.0 with anarchist undertones?
>>
>>49185639
>1) Since players are muggles, how do I keep their arsenal and abilities interesting? Their enemies will wield all kinds of flashy magic, when they will not.

Guns. You can't magic your way out of getting shot.
>>
>>49189033
What about a force field or a shield of some kind?
>>
>>49189033
You can, actually. It is called magic shield. Or teleportation. Or conjure smoke/illusions. Or just destroy the gun. Or spam magic missiles. All the mundane dude has is a friggin gun while the mage has a whole arsenal of diverse metaphysical abilities at his command - he can sure make up something.
>>
>>49185639
How the fuck is that not fantasy?
>>
>>49189797
Fine, it's fantasy, but not swords and sorcery. Satisfied?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.