[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /tg/, I'm planning a campaign and was thinking of having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 12

File: elhazard.jpg (79KB, 290x435px) Image search: [Google]
elhazard.jpg
79KB, 290x435px
So /tg/, I'm planning a campaign and was thinking of having the setting be "another world" that the players (originally from Earth) get transported to and trapped in.

If you were a playing it, what would you think of the idea? I like that it shakes up some of the usual setting tropes and provides a strong initial motivation (find a way back home), but worry that it might make implementing backstories difficult or turn players off because of that connection to the "real world". Thoughts?

pic related in that I know this genre's been big lately in anime because of Sword Art Online and the various knock-offs, but I'm really getting the idea more from old 90's anime and classic kid's books.
>>
File: Stranger-Things-Banner.jpg (45KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
Stranger-Things-Banner.jpg
45KB, 1000x500px
Honestly, it depends on your group, but I think the hardest thing you're gonna deal with pitching that idea right now is disassociating yourself from pic related.
>>
I'm not too interested in it.

I much rather prefer trying to immerse myself in an alternate world rather than try to literally pretend I am a person in our world in another world.

To be honest I can't see much of a difference aside from a panic-attack at the very beginning. I also feel it would have to be low-combat unless everyone is already trained with the common weapons of the setting for whatever reason.
>>
>>49179273
Ah shit, I haven't watched that yet, didn't realize it was a thing there. That could maybe work in my favor, though, I know some people in the group are fans.
>>
File: el-hazard-images-1.jpg (77KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
el-hazard-images-1.jpg
77KB, 1024x768px
>>49178878
>El-Hazard: The Magnificent World

10/10 tastes anon
>>
File: rashomon.jpg (136KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rashomon.jpg
136KB, 1440x1080px
>>49178878
Sounds like the last thing I'd ever play, honestly.
If I had to participate because of social obligations or whatever, I'd make sure to ruin that game. I'd put all points into either telepathy, operative/hacker skills, (mad) science or combination thereof, just so I can ruin the entire setting.
>>
>>49180524
you sound just delightful.

>>49178878
The most common way to do this is to 'play yourself', especially if introducing the game to new players. Or make it a 'military/science expedition gets trapped' scenario.
>>
So, like the Barsoom series, or Thundar the Barbarian, or Three Hearts and Three Lions?

Could be interesting.
>>
>>49178878
How about an alternative history, like an Earth where the mongols conquered Europe or imperial China never adopted isolationist policy?
>>
>>49180524
Can I ask why you're so opposed?
>>
>>49178878
>If you were a playing it, what would you think of the idea?

I have a strong respect for people who don't give a fuck how generic or standard campaign kick offs go. Also Escaflowne is one of the greatest things ever and had the same premise so I don't give a fuck if it tugs some neckbearded hipster fuck's panties the wrong way.

Because really, nobody except stupid hipsters cares about the premise beyond the first session, because shit evolves from there anyway.
>>
File: Joker-KillingJoke.jpg (47KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
Joker-KillingJoke.jpg
47KB, 384x384px
>>49181391
I'm not. I just happen to enjoy plots and human suffering.
The OP's campaign is perfect. Perfect in every way.
>>
>>49180524
The polite thing to do would just be to excuse yourself. But I expect that would become permenant.
>>
>>49178878
It's a cliche idea that's never done. Just like chaotic good drow rangers, nobody actually ever plays them, because the stigma is too powerful.
I would play that, yes, however you must take those things into account:
1) Newcommers from the real world probably don't know how to fight and they certainly don't know how to cast spells.
2) Newcommers probably don't know how to sustain themselves
3) Hot showers, clean water, toilet paper, proper dental care suddenly become an issue.
4) Language problems would be a trouble. Unless they magically know the language.

Instead of "five average Joes get transported into fantasy land", why not try something different?

> So, a rock star, a pirate, an SS officer, a new age wiccan and a viking get transported into a fantasy world...
>>
>>49182232
>1) Newcommers from the real world probably don't know how to fight and they certainly don't know how to cast spells.
Bang
>2) Newcommers probably don't know how to sustain themselves
If you fail to acquire any slaves you're probably not meant to colonize that particular piece of land.
>3) Hot showers, clean water, toilet paper, proper dental care suddenly become an issue.
personal slaves. Turns out the conquered peoples will be more than happy to keep you clean and comfortable, even long after you've run out of bullets.
>4) Language problems would be a trouble. Unless they magically know the language.
Turns out everyone speaks Pistol. It's a kind of magic.
>>
>>49183534
>guns
What are you going to do when you run out of ammunition?
>>
>>49183548
Unimportant, by the time this happens there is already production and cultural exchange taking place.
>>
>>49183534
> Get transported into another world
> Start shooting everybody to assert dominance
> Can't actually assert dominance, because can't speak the language
> Get shot in my back from a grassy knoll.
> Die in horrific agony
>>
>>49178878

I've run one, but the players didn't like it. They specifically asked for a hard game, but they got upset with how it turned out.
>>
File: Banestorm.jpg (430KB, 600x808px) Image search: [Google]
Banestorm.jpg
430KB, 600x808px
This is the only instance I can think of where they did it right
>>
File: 139483627938.png (563KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
139483627938.png
563KB, 569x802px
>>49186449
What is it about?
>>
>>49187251
A bunch of Elves, who have been at war with Orcs for god knows how long decide to proceed with a big-ass ritual in order to stop the Orcs. Needless to say they mess up, and bring a bunch of human from medieval Europe over, who proceed to shape the world to fit their own society. There is some cool stuff like a supplement detailing a city full of Catholic necromancers who believe that necromancy is the holiest thing a person can do. It's a big setting.

It actually adds impact to the fact that people from another world have arrived rather than just doing it with one character for the purpose of a reliable self insert.
>>
>>49178878
Gimme the invincible cat breastplate, and we're good.
>>
File: 1471234714720.jpg (250KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1471234714720.jpg
250KB, 960x540px
>>49187329
They brought HOW many friends? I'm out.
>>
>>49184009
>Get shot in back by grassy gnoll

FTFY
>>
File: God Wills It.gif (37KB, 263x360px) Image search: [Google]
God Wills It.gif
37KB, 263x360px
>>49187396
I like it because it is an excuse to have actual crusaders going Deus Vult on knife ears. Not everyone's cup of tea, but a lot better than all of this weaboo bullshit that has been popular in recent years.
>>
>>49178878
That's the premise behind almost-all classic fantasy, and most Arthurian Romance. Even Shakespeare used it.

By itself, it's not a particularly-defining twist. Pic-related was based on the same premise. Most fantasy was until the emergence of the fantasy genre.

I like the idea if you have players interested in it. In which case, they should play themselves in it.
>>
>>49181511
I like this guy. Anon knows his shit and I whole heartedly agree with you. Would play just for zero fucks and good times
>>
File: Those who play games.png (156KB, 1618x393px) Image search: [Google]
Those who play games.png
156KB, 1618x393px
>>49178878
That varies rather heavily. Personally, I always think isekai is the most interesting when dealing with shit from the same world as the protagonists becomes part of the central plot. Case in point, Overlord was really shit until the possibility of Momonga having to meet other top-level players came into play. Zero no Tsukaima only became interesting when the implementation of Earth-tech by Helkeginia's warring powers became the focus of a lot of Saito's battles.

Also, why the PCs were brought to another world should be serious point of consideration. If they're some kind of "Chosen Ones," then who does the choosing and what's their stake in all this? Are there other Choosers who have Chosen different Ones? What kind of Ones have the party's Chooser Chosen in the past? What has become of previous Chosen Ones?

tl;dr if you're going to isekai you have to use every part of the animal.

Also, pic related is how I personally would isekai. A coalition of the Players chooses some people from our world to be in their game.
>>
>>49178878
>El-Hazard
My Nigga!
>>
>>49178878
GURPS has a canon setting kinda thing where basically there are parallel earths and shit. One of these earths is called "Yrth" and has a reoccurring phenomena called a "banestorm" that takes people and things from another parallel earth that's pretty close to ours.
In fact its actually mentioned that the Bermuda Triangle could be a banestorm.

Also one of the canon characters on Yrth is from I think 1962 New York City and is still looking for a way back to earth. If you end up around his area chances are he'll scoop you up and ask every detail about how you got there, then let you go on your merry way in basically magical 1100s Crusades era.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.