[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pet Peeves Thread >Metagaming >Strahd campaign >Oath

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 270
Thread images: 26

File: peeve_peeverson.jpg (55KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
peeve_peeverson.jpg
55KB, 500x301px
Pet Peeves Thread

>Metagaming
>Strahd campaign
>Oath of Vengenace Paladin: "My sworn enemies are vampires!"
>Rogue: "I'm a Vistani! I grew up in Barovia!"
>And the most egregious:
>Halfling Wizard: "I have a giant tome that has all kinds of information about Barovia! I was just carrying it around for shits and giggles even though its massively cumbersome and almost as big as me lololololol!"
>My DM is too nice
>>
>>49159249
When you wake up in bed drunk and naked with a skeleton that refuses to tell you her name.
>>
>>49159249
It sounds like everyone else was on board with a group of adventurers that were wary of and meant for Barovia. You're the odd man out who didn't get the memo, or who had the unpopular opinion during chargen and didn't get their way.

>>49159271
Shit that's the worst. It's always just *rattarattarattatatlatlatllll*
>>
>>49159249
Pirates. You heard me.

They're all the same and they serve zero purpose adie from pulling in some kind of conflict. They're not special, they're not (usually) interesting, anf they're not entertaining.

God forbid someone try and make sea enemies who are decent when you can just have fucking Pirates show up.

And don't get me started on player pirates, that's a whole other shitfest.
>>
My Pet Peeve is the same as it has always been. Dried ketchup under the flip cap on the heinz bottle.
>>
>>49159325
The hook was we were unexpectedly sucked into Barovia, this was at character creation. The vampire enemy isnt so bad, but that fucking book killed all tension and mystery.

"Can I look for information in my book?"
"Yeah, you have information about that."

Christ.
>>
>>49159386
Hm. The paladin could be chocked up to fate, as could the return of the Vistani rogue, but that Encyclopedia Barovia is stupid.
Would have been hilarious if the DM greenlit it and it was full of fiction, conjecture, and misinformation.
>>
>>49159329
what if the pirate pc is not actually a pirate, but someone raised on glorified pirate literature and his dreams in life include becoming a pirate, having friends, and sailing the great oceans of the world with said friends.
>>
>>49159249
Humans as the balanced, all around mediocre POV race. Also pretty unrelated, but the naming convention of tohou and tohou in general make me irationally mad.

I dont know why.
>>
Adventuring Guilds

Focusing on shit that the party doesn't care about

Trying to make the party care about stuff their characters wouldn't care about

Economics

Politics

Everyone is grey
>>
>>49159329
What you need are state sanctioned profiteers. Sanctioned by a state that doesn't like you, it's pretty much pirating but more militarized.
>>
Using "It would be in character!" as an excuse to do something irrational that just... Ruins things both IC and OOC. Like having a character practically commit suicide via attacking somebody they shouldn't and ruining the parties reputation, or having a character be so abrasive against another player's character that it makes the other player uncomfortable (and they won't stop when politely asked to).

Role playing flaws in a character is fine. Using those flaws as an excuse to ruin the fun for everybody else is not.
>>
>>49160156
>ruin the fun for everybody else

This is the key word. Betrayals and yolo shit can be fun as fuck, but everybody has gotta find it fun.
>>
Game of Thrones

It is all anyone ever wants to fucking run now and complain about me not wanting to run a campaign about it.
>>
>>49159249
Last DM I had very transparently favored me and toed the line of shitting on someone when it came to the other player in the game. It was infuriating.
>>
Powergaming for sure.

>Guy wants to join my game
>Has his character already preplanned out from 1 to 20 without hearing a single detail of the setting
>Look over his sheet and point out that I'm not playing with a particular rule because I found it a little overpowered
>Whines and argues with me that this small feature makes his character "completely unviable" and he should just be another race/class combo altogether if that's how I felt
>Tell him to just make a character and not a statblock
>"STORMWIND FALLACY! STORMWIND FALLACY! REEEEEEE"

I'm legitimately losing faith in the stormwind fallacy as a whole, as I've yet to see a single person bring it up without trying to use it as a means to browbeat the DM.
>>
>>49159329
Oh god this so much.

>That Guy who manages to convince the group to fuck off and go be pirates for literally no reason
>Because he had heard about the "Play D&D and be pirates :^)" meme
>They get bored with it 2 sessions in and just stop.
>>
When my players lack agency. It bothers me so much when they can't make a bloody decision. It's my job to be an impartial arbiter of the rules, not lead you by the hand to a solution.

So i started applying consequences to their ineptitude. Spend an hour trying to decide what to do with a prisoner? He makes an escape artist check and runs off. Can't decide what to buy while shopping? The shop keep has other customers to attend to. Argue outside the evil wizards door? He escaped through the back.

They havent caught on yet. But i keep hoping.
>>
>>49160275

Well at least you are moving things along.

Sometimes I throw them a bone and give "common sense" rolls to help them think of a good answer
>>
>>49160275
God fucking damn it this.

Running a game and have all but ass fucked them with plot hooks and all they do is sit around talking about the hooks until I spring something on them because 4 hours of debating their next move out of character is enough.

2 of them have character goals and motivations but will only ever mention them in passing and will not work with me on what they want beyond the concept.
>>
>>49160338
>>49160275

I wish my players were generally smart enough to take the hooks. Most of the time, they just sit there until I offer an idea of what do to, and then they always just take the first idea straight up and stare at me like soulless cows. Its unnerving to say the least.
>>
>>49160355
Could be worse, when mine>>49160338 actually do take action, it is a nightmare.

They went to investigate a ruin three games ago, still have not finished it and we play for close to 10 hours every third weekend.

They will scour a room, debate about the contents then halt to evaluate each individual item before moving on. If there is a trap, they will try and argue every bit of real world logic,science and engineering on how to bypass it.

I fucking hate going to the games I run now. Lifeless and reactionary when out of combat or spelunking, embedded ticks when doing so.
>>
>>49160338
>2 of them have character goals and motivations

Then act on those goals directly.
>>
>>49159249
>Pet Peeves
>Rogue: "I'm a Vistani! I grew up in Barovia!"

Hmmn...
>>
>>49160399
Here's the solution to your problem with that.

Wandering Encounters that are stronger than the set-encounters with less reward.

Make them count their time. Make them HATE fighting random encounters. Make them fucking hate having to do with it. Every time they stop for a moment to inspect a trap, you roll that dice to see if there are wandering monsters.

If you make time an element, I guarantee the Trap-Tea-Time will just go away on its own.
>>
>>49160404
I get tired of forcing the issue.

One is a necromancer who wants to become immortal through necromancy. Other is a changling who wants to shed their humanity for true doppleanger status.

I have asked time and again what they would like to do to start these, no real answer. I have hit them in the face with plot hook cock and they do not react. I throw them notes that they think a certain npc might be able to help, never gets acted upon. I have offered single session to discuss this or have them describe how they are working on this.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Im just fucking tired of trying.
>>
>>49160197
This. Especially if they call it "Game of Thrones" or aren't using the official ASOIaF system.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-29+at+01.56.28).jpg (106KB, 672x592px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-29+at+01.56.28).jpg
106KB, 672x592px
>Pitching the next campaign for the group, hopefully the first full length campaign we'll play since we have aligned our schedules with school and employers
>Dead set on running it in Eberron, letting them decide what sort of campaign they want
>Settle on my first suggestion, a startup Inquisitive (Private Eye) agency in Sharn (setting's biggest city)
>Party's BigGuys both make strength 1h+shield fighters
>Party's RP heavy nerds both make changeling rogues
>Party's RP heavy but wish fulfillment as fuck, but also clever makes a bard

>They keep just 'finishing missions' and trudging through things violently

>They get hired to get dirt on the Darguun emblem bearing hobgoblins that have been acting as a paramilitary unlicensed guard force in the lower city
>Big Guy gets tired of waiting outside and forming a plan, axes a passing civilian the party previously had trouble with
>While he fights an alley full of alerted hobguards, the rest storm the front door and bloody up the place
>After a few rounds, party is running home with 2 unconscious, all injured, leaving 9 corpses and 2 fatalities in their wake

>Get hired to trail these hobgoblins since papers they retrieved point to some illegal mining operation
>Find an abandoned mining outpost in the Depths, entrance to an ancient goblin empire warrior's tomb
>Instead of turning back and preparing and reporting they trudge right the fuck in
They're going to get in deep shit eventually, but for now their patron is a member of the Droaam mafia who wants the hobs out of the way anyways and will pay extra for the service
>>
>>49160229
I hear "player agency" more instead, but how the terms are used (or misused rather) appears the same.
>>
>>49160602
THat's because there are always shitheads who will abuse a term because they are shitheads who will use any excuse to whine.
>>
File: CaptainHLSMCP.png (321KB, 1095x2380px) Image search: [Google]
CaptainHLSMCP.png
321KB, 1095x2380px
>>49159329
> he has never played rogue trader
You and your unimaginative group sadden me.
>>
>Start up a game
>GM lets us all know what we're doing beforehand, so even the new players know where we are and what the setting's vaguely like
>they come in with characters with half-assed silly names and little motivation or personality beyond vague 'it would be funny if they were like this huh'

It just irritates me. Sure, they might learn as they go, but I think when you're starting like that it's obvious they don't really care about where they go.
>>
>>49159249
>alignment as a solid game mechanic
>>
>>49159249
>actually using the mists hook with the rogue
Just have them already fucking be there.
Player vistani is fine.
>>
>>49161727
I like the capability to use it as a loose description but it really should not ever be a mechanic.
>>
>>49159249
>players who use phones/tablets for non-game-related shit at the gaming table
>players who try to dominate and boss others around
>groups that insist on making a party document in session 0
>smug DMs who taunt/berate the players for their failures
>players/DMs who constantly shove IRL pop culture references into every game
>players who won't even try to do character voices
>players who make attacks, like area effect attacks or shooting into melee, that have a chance of hitting another player character, and brush off the risk with "lol nah it'll be fine" and then fucking cripple my character
>>
>>49161727
It's a set of training wheels for new players, nothing more. In D&D it was originally more concrete, but it stopped being 'morality based on the middle ages' and became closer to a reflection of modern morality, with all its difficulties and contradictions.

Really, if you left it entirely off and just used your own judgement on when things like Smite would work, the system would work perfectly fine. That's what annoyed me about 5e - the oaths were meant to fix the problem of a tight alignment restriction, when the alignment restriction could have been thrown out at any time. So to me, the oaths feel far more restrictive than just loosely following goodness and perhaps a god's tenants.
>>
>>49161992

Just give paladins their smite damage I depend of what the target is.

The game isn't balanced around smite, so why bother keeping it the same?
>>
>>49159667
Tohou naming convention makes me irrationally hard. I absolutely love when words are mashed around in ways that make my brain stutter. I assume we're talking about the English titles of the games.
>>
>>49159249
The paladin is fine, and the Vistani is interesting because Vistani serve Strahd.

A book on Barovia is beyond retarded and you should ridicule the DM and player
>>
Going out of the way to hide mechanics as part of some elaborate anti-metagaming trap. Things like plants that are resistant to fire with no visual indicator, HP that's described as "luck" so I can't tell how injured someone is after being attacked, undead that look exactly like zombies until you get close and they instantly kill people, and things like that. I feel like it turns into some sort of reverse metagame scenario where the only way to survive is to look shit up. I usually just start making more suicidal decisions if I see that sort of thing and bow out of the game if I die
>>49159667
Do you have many examples of humans not being the average joe race? I think making them the balanced race is a fairly logical place to put them personally, but I can't think of many examples of it not being the case anyway
>>
File: face triggered.gif (1MB, 371x209px) Image search: [Google]
face triggered.gif
1MB, 371x209px
>>49159249
I don't think I actually have any.

Why would I get worked up by /tg/s? At worst I'll just pick a different one to play or talk to the playing group about the issue.
>>
>>49162230

What would've been better is if the halfling was writing a book on Barovia rather than starting with one. Maybe give him some minor circumstantial bonuses due to prior research but ultimately have him be very excited to find himself right up in his subject matter.

>>49159249

It peeves me when players refuse to let me give them their mandated session blowjobs.
>>
>>49159541
Would have been even better if it was Twilight: Ravenloft Edition. Of course, CoS barely tells the players anything, so at least they know the plot this way.
>>
>>49160699
I fucking hate that screencap. I singlehandedly blame it for taking every bit of adventuring romance of out RT. In every single game I have been a part of players tried to be dastardly manipulative profiteers, failing to realise they actually were penny-pinching dickass glorified murderhobos with no foresight and binary thinking.
>>
>Player Agency

I mean i get it and I wouldn't change for anything, but...

Holy fuck is it frustrating to have to account for your players having "free will". I had to call off a heist simulator campaign because I didnt have time to map out an entire city and I'd rather cut off my own arm than omit daring car chases from a heist game.

I think I get why some DMs just keep the game on rails full time.
>>
>>49160470
But the official system is shit.
>>
>>49159249
Nobody is using a coaster.
>>
>>49162566
Having player agency doesn't omit you from restricting character agency.
>>
>>49162411
My players are the same. They think they're brilliant, suave profiteers but are actually just short-sighted, backstabbing bastards who think that planning to rip off and murder everyone they meet makes them good role players.
>"This guy has been friendly and helpful... Let's kill him and take over his holdings."
>"This far richer and more powerful Rogue Trader has graciously given us a series of lucrative contracts... We should shoot her in the face next chance we get, because then all her employees and crew will join us, because that's how that sort of thing works"
>"The crew of our ship has been here far longer than we have, and have given us great advice about all the little intricacies of the ship and how to keep the crew happy and on side... Fuck that. Stupid peasants, what do they know. We've been on the ship ten minutes, we obviously know better than them."
>>
>>49160275
At least they eventually go into the evil wizards tower, that way you can leave breadcrumbs for them to follow to the next evil base. I used to run for some people who would have gone so far and got to the evil wizard tower and then said "nah fuck that"
>>
>>49159337
Especially if you haven't opened the bottle yet.
>>
>>49159597
Was the real treasure friendship all along?
>>
>>49159249
I'm not sure I have one.

I got really upset about a month ago when someone had objectively the wrong opinion, believing something objectively shit was actually good in some way, and justifying it by "subjectivity"
No, subjectivity does not make something good. Personal tastes may differ, but personal tastes can be WRONG. Especially when they desire something harmful to themselves and everyone around them.
>>
>>49160156
At the same time, it takes 2 people for one to ruin the other's fun.
Don't put all the responsibility on other people.
If someone ruins your fun, maybe your fun was too easy to ruin.
Work on improving yourself so you can have fun in a wider variety of situations. Make your fun more robust, so it can't be ruined by 1 action by 1 chucklefuck.
A bit of exercise and prevention goes a long way towards having a good time.
>>
>>49160229
>Tell him to just make a character and not a statblock

What if someone wants to play just a statblock, they don't give a shit for the ARR PEE and Muh Narrative and the backstory fluff settingdressing Zzzz, they wanna roll some numbers and #rek some kobolds?

Does this make them objectively not deserving of entertainment, or something?
Put some obvious combat encounters in your game and trust the statsheets to just sort of idle outside of it, they'll have more fun than if you try to force them into the story.
>>
>>49162882
Or just drop him from the game.
>>
>>49162882
If you don't care about rp and just wanna kill shit go play a video game
>>
>>49160440
What if the party enjoys fighting the random encounters so they just hang around and wait for random encounters so they can fight them?

It might be a waste of resources IC but if OOC all they wanna do is fight some enemydoods then they might just idle in one spot and fight random encounters all day erryday
>>
>>49162882
It surely makes them incompatible with a normal group. Now if you have an entire group of rollplayers, there wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>49161865
>smug DMs who taunt/berate the players for their failures
I am this.
How do I stop?
>>
>>49162900
>>49162904
"If you don't wanna rp get out of my game"

k.

So how would you lads react if someone said "If you don't wanna build powerful characters, get out of my game"?
>>
>>49162980
I'd either build a powerful character with expectation of that type of game or leave and find a game more suited to what I wanted to play .
>>
>>49162980
Probably get out of the game if I didn't fancy that. I don't mind though.
>>
>>49162980
>So how would you lads react if someone said "If you don't wanna build powerful characters, get out of my game"?
I'd feel like I don't belong to this group because we don't have the same interests.
>>
>>49162937
Wonder how entire group of rollplayers would work.

At least you wouldn't have to worry about building a setting, or describing enemies beyond "32HP, AC13, does 2d6 (x2 on 19-20)" and placing a flat white token down on the board.

Perhaps you could just make a branching graph with rooms containing varied encounters + varied loot, with the idea that the players take on whatever encounters they're best suited for, and use the loot effectively to get a bit stronger and take on more encounters.

Might be a bit tricky to balance. If too much loot but not enough difficulty, the players will just start steamrolling everything by having too many consumables to worry and attackmoving through the entire place. If too much difficulty, the players will eventually be stuck in a situation where EVERY encounter is too hard for them and will end up with them losing more than they gain.

Still, might be cool.
>>
>>49163023
>>49163012
>>49163010
Oh. Well that works I suppose.

Makes me wonder tho. What happens if you're expected to RP, -and- you're also expected to build your character well? Like, you have to both worldbuild/storywrite, AND killdudeswell?
>>
>>49163037
It's not that difficult, you just need to be a little flexible. You can come up for justifications for most things.
>>
>>49162371

If you let a female PC be Tatyana, you will ALWAYS get Ravenloft: Twilight Edition. As DM, your challenge will be to stop the two of them from fucking each other.
>>
>>49162857
Found that guy.
>>
>>49163176
Hello. :)
>>
File: 1472947677043.gif (884KB, 198x257px) Image search: [Google]
1472947677043.gif
884KB, 198x257px
>>49163189
>>
>>49162980

I'd leave the game. It sounds plebby as fuck.
>>
>>49163245
All games are plebby as fuck tho
>>
>>49162882

If they're not willing to play to my group's high standards, they're not welcome. End of.

>>49162956

Doesn't really matter if you're just bullshitting with friends. If you're annoying players though then just don't do it. Take a more relaxed, sit-back approach to GMing.
>>
>>49163253

If you think that, you're the pleb. Try not playing DnD.
>>
Human PCs with fantasy names.

>Hi I'm Etnthir Stormrider and I used to be a lowly pesant farmer before I took up adventuring

I just give my humies names that would fit in a western movie. Jonathan Hicks. Amelia Walsh. Jack Moore.
>>
>>49159271
>When you wake up in bed drunk and naked with a skeleton that refuses to tell you her name.
>her name
Double check that pelvic bone, fella.
>>
>>49163328
I just hope you don't use American names in a European fantasy setting.
Also
>peasant
>having surname at all
>>
File: 57097145344.jpg (121KB, 433x480px) Image search: [Google]
57097145344.jpg
121KB, 433x480px
>>49163328

That's retarded enough that it's probably bait.
>>
>>49163398
>American names
Like what? 90% of white names in the book have European roots.
>>
>>49163426
I mean not the American versions.
>>
>>49160275
I hate this so much. If I'm a PC, I usually have to be the one to decide what to do next, even if other people are the "leader" of the group. I remember back a couple years ago at uni, group had just got done a completely on the rails campaign where everyone was always itching to go and explore shit and head off the rails. So, next semester after a summer of planning, I ask for their characters and get...nothing. Character motivations like "get stronger", "Preach the word of my god", "I'm a bartender". Only one person had a concrete reason to leave the starting town. After that, I had to shove them along in order to do anything that wasn't aimlessly milling about.
>>
>>49160156
>Like having a character practically commit suicide via attacking somebody they shouldn't
B-but my Troll Slayer WOULD do that.
>>
>>49162980
I'd stand up and leave. No drama, just that.

If you like that - ok, but it's not my jam. So I'm stepping out to avoid frustration and not to step on other's fun. But why can't I expect the same courtesy in return?
>>
>>49159249
What's your pet peeve? I only see a well made group meant for the game you're going to play.
>>
>>49162371
>barely tells you anything
Dude, there's literally a book that tells the Strahd plot that you are expected to find by crawling through everything in the module. Along the way you find strange things that don't need explaination, or things that give almost too much - at the cost of being incredibly dangerous.
>>
>>49163572
>pretending to be stupid is funny

No.
>>
My number one pet peeve is games that have more rules than are necessary to present the players with interesting challenges.

Unless the game is specifically about traveling, I don't need 5 pages of rules about modifiers and pitfalls in traveling by various modes. If it is about traveling, then I probably need that and maybe more.

Likewise, if your game always devolves into hack n' slash, I don't need 40 pages of material on social interaction.
>>
Rule lawyers.
>Pulls out dictionary
Thats it, get the fuck out of my house.
>>
File: 20151207_085523.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151207_085523.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>49159249
This is my pet
>>
>>49163509
Are you me? I get so many complaints that I railroad since when I don't, all the players want to do is sit in a tavern and do nothing.
>>
>>49163328
>>49163416
My PCs are going to give nicknames to just about every NPC in the setting, as well as each other, so this is a pretty good rule of thumb for me too. It doesn't bother me too much that a human PC would have a silly fantasy name, but Ethnir Stormrider would become "Stormy" within 1 gaming session. Maybe this kills RP value but a player being overly attached to their long ass elf name is just inconvenient.
>>
>>49159249
MEN PLAYING GIRLS.

Oh everyones so up to playing a girl because their so unbiased and wew edge. Except they always play them as a cross between animae and lesbians. EVERY TIME.
>>
>>49161727
>play a Paladin because I like the idea of being a noble holy warrior
>fellow PCs constantly arguing about if you make non-LG actions

Or

>play an Evil-aligned character
>fellow PCs constantly bickering about how I'm going to betray them and that having an Evil character in the party won't work out, while not giving the CN Rogue a second thought when he stabs someone in an alley for money

Alignment can be fun I imagine. It has to be capable of being fun, with so many people treasuring it and arguing for its value. But goddamn can it be annoying when your party decides to view the alignment as being more meaningful than the actual personality and actions of the character.
>>
File: received_1210194732344996.jpg (107KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_1210194732344996.jpg
107KB, 1152x2048px
>>49163864
This is mine.
>>
File: image.jpg (253KB, 1000x810px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
253KB, 1000x810px
>>49164100
And this is my dog

;_;
>>
>>49160211
I am disproportionately targeted in combat because the GM has learned I'm the only one that doesn't throw a bitchfit when my characters die.

One player mocked my many deaths to crits, then we had to retconn his character's death because if we didn't, he would leave, causing his girlfriend to leave and the game to end.
>>
>>49159249
Adventurers Guilds. It's just a lazy, handwave'y method of gathering players and quests dispensing. Also, it's seriously straining my suspension of disbelief. Am I supposed to belive that there are enough suicidal murderhobos running around that there is a need for specialized workers union? That the world is in grave danger averagely once a week? That every single unpopulated space is littered with ancient ruins that apparently weren't looted at least 10 times since their abandonment? Just play in a superhero setting and be a port of SHIELD, for fucks sake.
>>
>>49164313
>Just play in a superhero setting and be a port of SHIELD, for fucks sake.
Sorry, superhero settings strain my suspension of disbelief too much. Am I supposed to believe that there's people with superpowers running around modern day cities in really terrible spandex costumes?
>>
>>49159329
>player makes a pirate
>another player makes a ninja
>sudden party conflict and backbiting out of nowhere for literally no other reason than "pirates hate ninjas dude LMAO"
>refuse to work with each other
>spent an entire session PvPing while everyone else stood and watched
>meme conflict spills into OoC as the two constantly plot against each other and build their characters to "counter" each other
>>
>>49164387
I have to admit that sounds entertaining as fuck.
>>
>>49164415
it would be if it wasn't meanspirited as fuck and didn't occassionally derail shit
>>
>>49163026
Arena-style games work for this. I've been in a few. They're great for testing weird builds, optimized turbobuilds, and generally shitting dice onto the table every time you hit. It's actually a great release, since I'm playing another, very Slice of Life kinda game with almost no combat.
>>
>>49164415
Getting together to play a game with friends and instead watching two friends play instead sounds entertaining to you?
How odd.
>>
>>49163037
I have a Warpriest with 35 DR, +20 to hit, that does 16d8+23 on a hit. He also loves plays, has trouble sleeping due to recurring nightmares, and has recently befriended the party Bowman who does around 200 DPR average, all nonlethal. RP is not about mechanics. It's about forming a character and playing true to them. Yesterday, or group of filthy munchkins drilled or new player on his character, asking various questions to help him flesh out her past, interests, ticks, regrets, motivations beyond "kill the enemy!" etc.

We actually made a sideroom for nongame sessions to just hang out and RP.
>>
>>49164339
It's just a matter of expectations. I do like superhero settings, in fact I've played in a pretty fun Masks game few days ago. But if I want to play capeshit then I'm playing capeshit, and SHIELD isn't something I'm looking for in my fantasy games.
>>
Why does every single fantasy and sci fi setting need to have an ancient lost civilization that was better than anything after it in terms of technology? I mean, it's not a bad idea in itself, but it's as if it's mandatory to have it. I'm getting kind if sick of it.
>>
>>49164697
Why don't we ever play as the crazy ancient civilization with the divine technology?

With all that tech, we could instead be looking into the future, and laugh at those shitty future civilizations without perpetual motion machines and immortality rings
>>
>>49164776
Because the only reason every single setting has those lost civilizations is because it's a convenient excuse for having McGuffins and dungeons randomly strewn about.
>>
>>49164697
often as a way to include more advanced technology and wackier shit like airships that would otherwise clash with the setting
>>
>>49161865
>I am shameless and assume everyone else is too
>>
>>49161865
>>players who won't even try to do character voices
Oh great, you're one of those terrible GM's who don't understand that your players wish you would stop making those annoying voices.
>>
>>49162911
Then you're not making the wandering encounters hard enough. They should be hard enough to take out 70% of the parties resources to win, and therefore encourage the party NOT to fight them.
>>
>>49161865
>groups that insist on making a party document in session 0
Party document?
>>
>>49163398
Corrallary
>That asshole DM that forces you to pick hard-to-remember and harder-to-pronounce special snowlake setting name for muh immersian

I'll call my character Steve Jobs if I want and you can fuck right off if you want me to be Rhlahtanha Dwuhanarhaosha.
>>
>>49165162
Why not something simple like Joe Miller or Bob Smith?
And like, make the last name fit their job

>not naming your thief Rick Rogue
>>
>>49161693

Are they completely new to TTRPGS or are they just new to the group?
>>
>>49164030
>Things that never happen
>Things that fa/tg/uys insist happen because it makes them question their masculinity

Sure, anon. Sure. Please, tell me more about how crossplaying is a terrible plague and no one ever can do it at all. I hope one day I meet one of these fabled magical realm groups that only play female characters as anime sluts, so that maybe I could come close to believing it's half as common as you seem to think it is. In 14 years of playing tabletops, I've only seen idiots playing females like that in RPGs a handful of times, and every single time a female was playing them.
>>
>>49161865
This is a plus for me. Most character voices are cringe-worthy as fuck.
>>
>>49164313
>Am I supposed to belive that there are enough suicidal murderhobos running around that there is a need for specialized workers union

Yes, because that would be a very attractive possibility for risk-seekers, mercenaries, and disgraced or displaced soldiers. Who have very few skills not relating to murder and 'fuck bitches get money'.

>That the world is in grave danger averagely once a week

Depends on the setting, but sure. Most settings have a huge amount of things that are just about to destroy the world right now, and playing in an established setting usually involves solving ONE of them, maybe two if you're extra frisky. Not to mention that somehow, society exists with all these horrific, giant monsters running about.

Hell, it seems to me that an Adventuring Guild would be all but NECESSARY in most DnD settings, at least. In less populated settings like Numenera, a guild for people running around throwing super-tech knick-nacks about would be something anyone in power would want. Offer patronage, get a piece of the pie.

On the flipside, Adventurer Guilds don't really make sense in low-magic settings, but hell, even those generally have some sort of exploration guild, which is practically an adventure guild anyway.
>>
>>49159249
Metagaming isn't a mere pet-peeve, it is a major issue that should be purged
>>
>>49164803
>Not having lost civilizations that had about the same or lesser tech level than everyone else
>Not living in the golden age right now and exploring the ruins of the old worlds for archaeological value alongside the riches
>Party isn't a group of scholars who have learned to fight out of sheer necessity
>Not seeking only to learn of the wonders of the past, despite said wonders being lesser than present-day magic just for the sake of knowledge

Why even live?
>>
>>49165619
How.
I'm in a group with:
>scrawny white guy #1 playing a dyke brewer with a missing fiancee
>scrawny white guy #2 playing a high CHA lady-chasing fem-bard
>straight outta africa black man playing a female elven noble. This player is actually good about his handling of the character, except he plays a woman every single game, and is a healer in MMOs/similar, and I sometimes wonder about him.
>fat white guy playing a stablehand tiefling girl with a daughter from an unknown father

The other players are a dwarven city guard, and a half orc merchant, both men.
>>
>>49165755
I only play with friends and people I trust not to be asshats in a gaming environment, mostly, but the other 30% of my gaming experience is sheer luck, if this phenomena is really as common as /tg/ seems to think it is.

It helps that I refuse to play with weeaboos. Oriental characters and settings are fine, but there's a difference between liking oriental settings and being a weeaboo, and it is a very thick line that is impossible to miss. A weeaboo just announces themself at every opportunity.
>>
>>49165755
It seems to me like those first two players are the only possible issues and the second one the only guaranteed one. The first one can be interesting if played right, but by your complaints I'm going to guess they're played as frustratingly as possible.
>>
>>49165788
Same on my end. Maybe it's a generational thing?
Oldest player is the GM at 25, ex-military. The rest are 19 - 21.
>>
>>49160156
Hi Nick. Don't you have a paper to write?
>>
>>49165694
> that would be a very attractive possibility for risk-seekers, mercenaries, and disgraced or displaced soldiers
Mercenaries already have a job - they are mercenaries, probably in a bigger company that caters to their needs. Displaced soldiers either become brigands, retired or became mercenaries.

And don't get me wrong, I like high fantasy. But Adventuring Guilds just annoy me.
>>
>>49165803
I'm not the anon who originally posted about the "MEN PLAYING WOMEN" bit. I'm just the one who listed his party because we do have majority female characters with male players.

None of the players are a problem, my point was more that, in my experience, the "men playing women" thing is fairly common.
>>
>>49159329
I mean, they'really just sea bandits. Or space bandits, if your sailing space.

And really, I think your complaint could be generalized to any form of bandits.

So I say ban all bandits.
>>
>>49160015
Privateer you mean?
>>
>>49165838
Adventuring guilds are more than understandable. Similar to the vagrant web of connections you could find all along the roads, you know?

I agree the idea of a formal, mercantile guild for adventurers is annoyingly neat.
>>
>>49159597
Then you have One Piece.
>>
>>49165838
Mercenaries working in a guild would be less likely to screw over their employers, and be less likely to BE screwed over. Plus, pay would be higher and better equipment available. It would make more sense unless you were a lone wolf living on the edge, which as a mercenary, would be absolutely retarded.

Or a group of merc buddies who refuse to be beholden to rules, and there's a campaign about making money while fighting off the greedy guild in there, somewhere.

>>49165848
I never said men playing women wasn't a thing, I said them being utter shits about it wasn't a thing I'd ever encountered. If you read all of my post, I even said that all the bad players of female characters I've met were females themselves.

>>49165885
Surely, you mean Monkey Island.
>>
Players who roll the dice, and then pick them up again before I get the chance to look at them.
I don't think they're consciously trying to cheat, they're just being stupid.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 728x546px
This is my pet Peeve
>>
>>49165937
I have never met anyone who owned vermin as pets and was normal.
>>
>>49165948
>/tg/
>normal
>>
>>49165989
Yeah, you're right. If anyone here was normal, they'd actually have played even one of the games they talk about.
>>
>>49165948
They actually clean themselves regularly like cats. Comparably the same as owning other types of rodents and rabbits, just with more social stigma.
Not saying that they're not pets chosen by some weirdos, but still better than that guy with the tarantula or the scorpion
>>
>>49159249
Metagaming drives me nuts.

I DM for a group of my friends, one of whom constantly tries to use his outside knowledge in place of what his character would know.

Last session his character failed to spot a lie, he still acted really suspicious of the NPC despite having no reason to do so.

I'm getting pretty tired of having to tell him that there's no way his character would know certain things.
>>
>>49166111
on a scale from weird to not weird owners.
snakes>arachnids>other bugs>rats>mice/ferret>special snowflake non-pets (pigs, raccoons, etc.)>birds>cats>dogs
>>
>>49166111
It's not about the animals themselves. It's about the owners.

Who sits and thinks, "yeah, vermin. I want that in my house"
Scorpions and reptiles I get. I too grew up watching Crocodile Hunter. Tarantulas and spiders in general I agree are weird.
>>
File: drogon.webm (662KB, 426x238px) Image search: [Google]
drogon.webm
662KB, 426x238px
>>49166200
There is literally nothing wrong with owning a lizard/snake.
>>
>>49166200
Personally I think snakes shouldn't be the last on that list. Then again I don't have a phobia of them.
As for special snowflake pets, you can't seriously tell me you wouldn't want a little fox buddy to play with
>>
>>49166228
lizards I'd place around the same as birds, but I've never met a snake owner that wasn't unhealthily attached to it.
>>
>>49166200
Where are turtles?
>>
>>49166200
>>49166212
>>49166228
>>49166262
Snake owners are high test.
>>
>>49166262
this is just personal observations about people who own those types of pets. The special snowflake pet owners tend to be "muh furbabies", but yeah a pet fox would be cool as fuck.
>>49166273
same level as cats or fish.
>>
>>49166212
Going to Petco and watching the domesticated lab rats and mice, their availability to their cost, and how relatively cheap they are to own, especially if you already have an aquarium tank that you can put bedding in for them.
>>
>>49166199
Failing to spot a lie doesn't mean you're certain they aren't lying, even without metagaming
It just means you can't tell either way

If the character had an external reason not to trust the NPC (ex: based on factions, race or their previous actions) then it's legit

Though I assume that wasn't your case
>>
>>49160275
God I hate this. I have one player in my group who can't make a decision unless it's really obvious or given to her.

>Assassins crept in to the window. What do you do?
>"I don't know."
>They are in your room.
>"I can't do anything about it can I?"
>He is pointing a crossbow at you.
>"C-can I hit him? I mean I can't do anything else, right?"

I die a little each time she pulls herself away from Candy Crush.
>>
>>49166336
Especially considering that they're very social and affectionate animals. And get along surprisingly well with a lot of other pets. A cat and a rat can get along really damn well, in fact. The real issue with rats as a pet is that they chew literally everything and that's why I'll never personally own one. My grandmother does, though, and my cat loves that little guy.
>>
File: I have a plan- Attack.gif (307KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
I have a plan- Attack.gif
307KB, 320x213px
>>49160275
I find this irritating too...

Sometimes the other players keep overthinking about plans and tactics and how to approach the issue and I can feel the frustration of the GM. So I start the inevitable encounter with a bang.
>>
>>49163026
Would be cool if they're all in on it, and everyone's crazy powerful.
>>
>>49166751
If they're playing candy crush at the table they're obviously not engaging with the plot.

Step 1 is to ban non-game activities at the table. I let my players use devices away from the table, but they have to deliberately stand up or push their chair away.

Step 2 is to go through their character sheet and give them a personal story or mini arc. Offer them a unique treasure. If they fuck up and don't engage than they don't get it

Step 3 is to eject them from the game. Just stop asking them for ipinions or involving them in the story. They'll have more fun on Candy Crush and you dont have to deal with them.

This is assumng you've already spoken to them.
>>
>>49162882
>What if someone wants to play just a statblock
>Does this make them objectively not deserving of entertainment

That's not at all the point, though. In my experience in the hobby, at least half, probably closer to two thirds of all games are just that. Endless combat fests and loot grinders, very little role playing, story telling, or characterization. So if someone wants to do that, they can go do that any number of places.

It's the same as people who used to ask why I didn't run Dungeons and Dragons. I was in a gaming club where every Friday night, there were between two and five other games running, every single one of them DnD. I was usually the only guy running something else. So, if you want that, it's all over. I'm trying to do something else. It's not an attempt to be judgmental, but also, don't come into my Italian restaurant and keep asking for tacos, you know? Especially when there's three taco trucks outside.
>>
>>49162911
>all they wanna do is fight some enemydoods
They should play a video game. There are tons of video games out there were a group of friends can fight endless hordes of monsters together. Why play a role playing game if you aren't gonna role play?
>>
>>49162911
>>49162882
If you don't want to role play then don't play a role playing game.

Especially don't go into a group full of RPG players and try and argue that RPGs shouldn't have role playing in them.
>>
>>49162980
>how would you lads react if someone said "If you don't wanna build powerful characters, get out of my game"?

I've been in games like that and had no issue with it purely on that point. Especially since I always munchkin my characters out in any case. There's nothing that says you can't make a character who is a highly optimized master of his art and also a three dimensional personality. I've done that plenty of times.

Usually, min maxed meat grinder games are boring, and if I'm gonna do nothing but fight and work stat lines, I'd rather play a video game. So I haven't stayed in those games much. But a couple were okay, or the group was fun, so I stuck around. My only complaint was the GMs never actually said that up front. They didn't say, "this will be a balls to the wall, hardcore meat grinder, make sure to optimize to all hell". They just brutally slaughtered our PCs until we figured it out through trial an error, which is unfair, in my opinion. It's one thing to tell players you're running Tomb of Horrors, and they all sign up for that. It's another to say we're running a standard fantasy campaign, and it turns into Saw.
>>
File: Guess I've got brain problems.jpg (87KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
Guess I've got brain problems.jpg
87KB, 650x500px
>>49167118
>Just stop asking them for ipinions or involving them in the story. They'll have more fun on Candy Crush and you dont have to deal with them.

This took me a long time to learn, because I always felt like I was somehow failing when certain players were not paying attention. I'd try to make more of an effort to include them, and it would mostly create these awkward impasses that wasted time and got us nowhere. Eventually I just gave up, and yeah, now I have a girl who shows up to every game with her boyfriend, has for four years now. He's my best player. She sits there and plays on her phone and occasionally makes some snarky remark. I never ask her what her character is doing, never really speak to her at all in context of the game. She seems happier that way, I'm happier that way, even her boyfriend seems happier that way. All that ever came of me trying to get her involved was she would get frustrated that she couldn't do whatever lolrandumb thing she wanted with no consequences, then he would get mad because I was making her frustrated.

I still feel like it is five hours of her life down the drain every week, but she chooses to come, so I've washed my hands of it.
>>
>>49165619
I ran into a guy in an online game who frequently told us all about his sex addiction. He played only females, and they were all terrible. His character made an adventurer's guild and would have sex with other characters in exchange for free magic items. I am no longer in this campaign. Shit was stupid.

I can't say it's common, though. That was also on roll20, which is honestly a den of degeneracy.
>>
File: 1471143860049.jpg (200KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
1471143860049.jpg
200KB, 960x716px
>>49160229
>Has his character already preplanned out from 1 to 20 without hearing a single detail of the setting

This.
I tell my players 2 sentences of the campaign I'm building and they're already off on building characters without another word.

>I wanna be a lol-random chaotic evil vampire
Theres no undead in the setting, man, lemme finish the exposition first.
>I'll be the first one, I could roll one up real quick

reeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>49162882
>Does this make them objectively not deserving of entertainment, or something?
Because if they want that they should be playing a videogame, not a fucking ROLE PLAYING game.
>>
>>49165937
>>49165948
>>49166111
That reminds me.
I was planning on eventually running a Mouse Guard game, and I noticed rats weren't mentioned at all. Interestingly, rats are generally considered smarter, a hell of a lot stronger, and pretty much Mouse Plus once you remove disease from the equation. They're hardly weasels, but one on one a fight would almost certainly go to a rat- after all, they eat mice in real life, are three times as big, and weigh ten times as much.
So I was wondering:
What would you all think if a patrol were to at some point be ambushed and captured by rats? They probably wouldn't eat mice because of the sapience issue involved, but they would probably be sort of like your stereotypical elves: Not only are they generally just better at everything, they're also insufferably nice because they don't want to be rude or patronizing but come off that way anyways.
>>
File: 126546309.png (70KB, 243x200px) Image search: [Google]
126546309.png
70KB, 243x200px
>>49162980
Get up and leave.

That's all.

Seriously, if I am looking for an action vidya, why would I try to buy a dating sim and then complain that there is no action at all?

Do you understand english? If someplace says "You come here if you want to do X" and you say "But I want to do Y", how do you think people will react?
>>
>>49166212
Who the fuck wants a scorpion? They're basically a mindless, chitin-wrapped killlobster. Sounds terribly banal.
>>
>>49168092
>mindless, chitin-wrapped killlobster

Make it big enough to ride and that's literally everything I've ever wanted in a pet.
>>
>>49162215
Of course. Now that you mention it though, maybe they make me irrationally mad because they make my brain stutter. I'm not into that.

>>49162321
Not many, the "Humans are average" thing is rather prevalent in fantasy. The ones that I can think of right now are the Race of Men, from LOTR, and the humans from Endless Legend.

The Men of middle earth are pretty weird, usually described as very strong but weak willed, technically they are also the only race that is supossed to be there. They work because hobbits already fill the role of POV race, and they do it excellently. The humans of Endless are a bunch of high tech astronaut miners and soldiers. They are basically the dwarves of the setting.
>>
>build a character to be good against a certain thing
>DM makes sure EVERYTHING IS IMMUNE to my thing or super resistant towards it
>alternatively, never bring the thing I built my character to deal with up, only throwing shit my character can't really handle all that well

Come on. Not saying you should let them just kill relentlessly, but let them take advantage of their powers once in a while.
>>
>>49162411
>>49162630
By the Emperor, you're just as bad as the pirate haters. Does nobody on this board think, or act in the moment, or even enjoy themselves?
>>
File: z4f8H[1].png (275KB, 1187x702px) Image search: [Google]
z4f8H[1].png
275KB, 1187x702px
>>49168256
This is kind of a pet peeve of mine as a DM too.

>Player builds up a single aspect of his character so well that it's literally pointless to throw them against him unless I want to secretly jack him off under the table
>Start building encounters, neglecting to even put in that aspect because I want to actually challenge the players.
>Player feels left out because his ability is so powerful that it becomes useless.

Last campaign, a guy using a feat, at level 1, got his passive perception up to 21. I had one encounter at the start using stealth as an approach against them, and he was like "Nah!" After that, I just subconsciously stopped bothering with stealthy enemies. All his effort went to waste.

Let this be a cautionary tale against you, players.
>>
>>49168256
It's also shit because it shows DM is clearly just countering what his players are good at instead of building believable situations.
>>
>>49168877
Maybe throw some encounters in that involve stealth, but don't balance around it.

Give your party a fair fight, then give some of the enemies stealth skills or something.

That way you're not detracting from balance but your player still gets to feel like their skill was used.
>>
File: 1452415831826.gif (1011KB, 200x217px) Image search: [Google]
1452415831826.gif
1011KB, 200x217px
>>49168256
>>49168877
>Have a character that has a passive 20 Perception, 18 Investigation
>Have a NPC buddy I go drinking with every day if I'm at the home town (which was where a great leg of the campaign was)
>Literally every interaction with her ended with "let's go get smashed"
>DM does side shit with another player all the way through this game, not too fussed about it
>Apparently, there was some dumbass secret fucking biolabs directly underneath our town that nobody knew about that was cranking out body doubles while stealing the real people for some nefarious purpose that I never really cared to find out, because I dipped in the obligatory "go in the fucking biolabs" session because our town had been making do with STONE AND BONE WEAPONS while this place had full metal walls, automatic sliding doors and HOLOGRAPHIC KEYBOARDS FOR FUTURISTIC COMPUTERS
>My drinking buddy was one of these doppelgangers, and my 20 perception/18 investigation character never fucking figured it out
>It was never brought up once to me
>No "yo, NPC has been acting kinda weird lately, wanna go check it out?"
>In the final session, said NPC had a go at my character for failing to realise that I wasn't actually going drinking with the real one

Fuck you DM, that was a humongous dick move.
Though to be fair, I'm more annoyed about the blatant anachronistic bullshit that got handwaved as "but celestials are advanced" or some shit just because you wanted to insert some pointless fucking star trek shit instead of just saying "it's magic" like you're running a high fantasy fucking game.

Fucking hell I hated that shit.
>>
>>49162230
>Vistani is interesting because Vistani serve Strahd.

If you're allowing Vistani PCs then you might as well be allowing half-dragon half-fiend celestial minotaurs Lawful Good necromancers as PCs.
>>
>>49169796
What you describe is pretty much the backbone of the Might & Magic universe. It's about high-tech civilizations that regressed to barbarism.

Those Angels in the Castle town? Those aren't divine messengers, they're cyborgs
>>
Betraying the party. I hate it. It can be done well, but it never is. Some guy will always go against the grain of the party just to promote conflict and before you know it, now the GM is splitting attention between two groups.
>>
>>49162882
>It's our fault that people who don't want to roleplay aren't catered to by a tabletop roleplaying game

Shitty bait
>>
File: Kill me giant suit.jpg (26KB, 270x614px) Image search: [Google]
Kill me giant suit.jpg
26KB, 270x614px
>Player does something stupid
>Cries when his character gets fucked up
>>
>>49160229
>"STORMWIND FALLACY! STORMWIND FALLACY! REEEEEEE"

My pet peeve is the fucking Stormwind fallacy. Not because of what it is or the idea behind it, but because that egotistical piece of shit Tempest Stormwind stole a bunch of shit I wrote and reworded it with a bunch of overly wordy bullshit then stuck his name on it, and of course because he had a higher post count everyone sucks his dick over it.

This is one of the many, many reasons I stopped going to the WotC forum. And non-anonymous forums in general.
>>
>>49171987
Damn, son, that sucks.
If you're telling the truth, that is.
Which reminds me: Who the fuck names a fallacy after himself?
>>
>>49172245
An egotistical piece of shit like Tempest Stormwind.

I at least called it a form of false equivalence instead of fellating myself.
>>
>>49161992
But 5e paladins can be of any alignment, and oaths don't dictate alignment.

For instance: you can be a chaotic evil oath of devotion "I'm only a champion of justice because doing so is getting me fame, babes, and power, cause they think I'm some kind of goody-two shoes hero. The moment it ever stops providing that I'm going back to my older tried-and-true scams. Oh, and don't you dare threaten my top billing as resident hero."

Added bonus for having an arc where they actually become a real, (begrudgingly) altruistic hero.
>>
>>49162006
That's what 4e and 5e do.
>>
>>49165162
>Rhlahtanha Dwuhanarhaosha
..."Ru-lah-tan-a Dwu-ha-na-row-sha"?
>>
>>49162685
Oh geez yes that would be awful.
>>
>>49162882
Play a party-based strategy war game instead. Chain mail for instance. Or 4e. >:)
>>
>>49162882
Have you tried 4th?
>>
Not having a game to play is my biggest pet peeve.
But no game is better than a bad one, amirite?
>>
>>49173782
>TSR-era D&D is best for roleplaying
>4e is best for rollplaying
>3.PF isn't good for anything

Really makes you think.
>>
File: 1285445897128.jpg (19KB, 170x236px) Image search: [Google]
1285445897128.jpg
19KB, 170x236px
>>49159249
"There is no such thing as an original idea." And variations thereof.

I resent how this fraise is misused to shut down creative endeavor. The thing you should take away from it is to discard the fear of creating something with similarities to existing material.
It doesn't mean you shouldn't strive to do something new.
>>
>>49174561
3.PF is good for getting in autistic build arguments and wanking off your own personal homebrew.
>>
>>49164313
Makes sense for Monster Hunter.

People have problems with monsters. So they hire people to go out and collect resources in dangerous areas, or protect them from threats, or even actively go out and hunt specific monsters for their useful body parts. Occasionally, live captures are even requested, usually by eccentrics or researchers. The guild exists to match requests with level of compotency, so rookies aren't sent to fight elder dragons

Since adventurers guilds typically originate in settings with monsters, I could see it starting out as a situation like that, and then joining forces with some bounty hunter/mercenary/private security guild(s) as well, cause like, fighting is fighting, and most of your members and skillsets overlap anyways.

So by that point, you've got fetch quests, escort quests, protect our village quests, and bounty/slay quests. It's a traditional adventurers guild.
>>
>>49162230
>Vistani serve Strahd
Only some did, the rest were just gypsies pretty much.
>>
"My character always has his mask on/hood up. Always."

Gets to me every fucking time.

One of my players every session would comment at the end "I can't believe none of you have asked me to take my hood down" until he just quit because no one would fawn over his character and marvel at how interesting he was.
>>
>>49164697
I know why it exists in medievally games. Rome/Greece was that lost empire

What I'm waiting for though is one where you're playing as the not yet lost civilization of wonders.

Like our current modern era. We'll be that lost civilization in a bit. And they're gonna say all kinds of things about . But we're not there yet. And we certainly weren't there in like, 1400. We weren't looking back to the romans, we'd more than caught up. Instead, we were looking to see what beyond the edges of our known world existed. Where are my age of exploration settings? I want to play as humans first discovering all these weird races and monsters we all take for granted, back when they felt threatening and alien, or maybe some new ones.
>>
>>49164837
>being this self-conscious

How are you even here? Isn't 4chan too "weird" for you? Your pastor might find out you're not a total normie and have a talk with you about how you should be more conventional and straight-laced.
>>
Mine is kinda this >>49164030 but more specific

"Alright anon, what's your character?"
"I made a knight."
"Neat."
>"*smirks* My knight has a secret! *smirks*"
>"Oh?"
>"My knight has a secret vagina and tits."
>"..."
>"AND WHEN I WIN THE JOUSTING TOURNAMENT I WILL RIP OFF MY HELMET, ANNOUNCE THAT I AM NO MAN, AND HAVE LESBIAN INTERCOURSE WITH THE PRINCESS WHOSE HAND WAS PROMISED TO THE WINNER!"

I swear I'll make the next player who brings a "secret lesbian knight" to my table eat their dice.

It's like they read about the "Battle of the Pelennor Fields", thought to themselves "lady hot, how get more lady in story?", got a half-chub, and then all had the very same aneurysm that causes players to think "secret lesbian knight" is a groundbreaking character concept that needs to be shared the world over.

You gotta catch that shit quick too because "secret lesbian knights" are like rats. They're pests that you don't want in your home and they carry various "diseases" with them like "muh female armor" arguments and ERP.

>filename unrelated but a secondary pet peeve
>>
>>49164984
Then they're gonna start wondering why goblin bandits are scarier than the minibosses. Or maybe why minibosses are weaker than gonlins, depending on which direction the comparison goes.
>>
>>49175299
Isn't lying about your identity grounds for disqualification regardless of whether you won fairly or not?
>>
>>49163398
Easy, Stormrider is a title he gained while adventuring. Not hard to puzzle out really.
>>
>>49174810
If anyone ever asks me this, I'll reply with
>"Because I'm pretty sure your character looks better with the mask on."
or
>"If you're such a master of disguise, your 'real' face doesn't matter."
>>
>>49163509
Evangelism compelled Paul to travel nearly all of the Mediterranean, even going so far as making plans to travel all the way to Spain, clear across the sea from his starting point in Antioch, in modern Turkey.

Missionary work is a historically canonical reason to leave your home and become an Adventurer.
>>
Gay players. It's not the gay thing, it's the fact that I had one that hit on the occasional NPC and expected me to let him have his husbando and RP the whole thing.

>he's not gay
>BUT WHY
>you're in a setting based upon medieval times, both of you would be hanged
>>
>>49175268
posting on an anonymous image board is nowhere near as embarrassing as making silly wizard voices in front of a group of your peers.
>>
File: 1465749262072.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1465749262072.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>49175299
better version
>>
>>49175561
Normally I acquiesce to fantasies like this, if only because it feels fair when the straight dude rescue a chick and try to waifu her reasonably.
If they don't sperg out about it, I'm smooth.
The only gay player I've had to reel in for pushing his homo husbando too hard was also a furry. Boy, did that get burned into my memory.
I never GMed a game of FATE after that.
>>
>>49175570
What's wrong with making silly wizard voices? If you're in a room with other people playing pen and paper games with multicolored dice then you're social status won't be affected if you use voices.
>>
>>49159249
This one player who's basically just a giant troll.
My party all like him, and he's a great friend, but from a DM point he's difficult.

>Everyone got their personal story at the beginning. His parents were killed by a slaver and he's out for revenge.
>He gets to the city where this slaver is supposed to be. Doesn't care. "You know, your 'friend' is here." - "Uh huh." *Push him to go to the marshal and ask for info*
>Marshal is a female dwarf with a french accent. He mocks her "You're not a woman! Your accent is stupid!" She reacts and pulls her sword, threatening the group. Other PCs drag him out to avoid conflict and complain why he did that.

Talk to him:
"Let's talk about your character. What do you want to achieve, what do you fear?" - "Dunno, I just want to stay with the group."
"Do you even want a personal story?" - "Nah, not so much." Okay, I'll end his personal story asap then.

>Group gets to a tavern. He instantly, before anyone talks to the bartender, runs up to a random room and kicks the door in. There's a adventurer already in there immediately pointing his bow at him.
>"What do you do?" - "What do you expect? I'm not RPing this." ... "Well, I suppose you run back down." "Yeah"

I say something he doesn't expect:
>"3 guards guard the door" - "Why not just 2? Bad DM!"
>"I would like to eat a good meal!" - "That's 1 gold" - "It wasn't before! Inconsequent DM!" It always was one gold
>Get's bored after 1.5 hours, chatting and playing pokemon go on his phone.
>>
>>49174697
No, that's a Monster Hunter's Guild.
>>
>>49166200
What of rabbits? Or fish?
>>
>>49175760
same level as cats and dogs I'd say
>>
>>49159329

Oh god, you brought back some bad memories

>Players adventuring around
>Suddenly decide they want to be semi-pirates, semi just merchants
>Buy a ship, hire a crew
>Of course, none of them have any actual skills IC that would be useful in a ship.
>Well, ok, that's what the 20 odd NPCs they've got hanging around are for.
>Often try to do things like "Oh, the sea serpent is attacking the ship, can you kill it before it chews too far through the hull and you sink?"
>Players whine about how they can't actually run the ship, always have to get NPCs to do everything.

Bloody retards.
>>
>>49175436
I prefer "because your character wasn't interesting enough for anyone to give a shit."

Hits em where it hurts.
>>
>>49162980
I'be had something pretty close: "optimize to oblivion or you'll be more or less rolling a new character every combat."
>>
>>49160229
>"STORMWIND FALLACY! STORMWIND FALLACY! REEEEEEE

In my experience, the only people who quote "Stormwind Fallacy" are people who hung out at the CharOp forums on the old WotC forums.
>>
>>49168877
So what you're saying is is, if you never ever want to have to deal with a particular thing, optimize against it to the point your DM never uses it.
>>
>>49175735
Not if it does more than hunt monsters.
>>
>>49164837
>>49164861
>>49165667
>LE AR PEE VOICES ARE SO LE EMBARASSING XDDDDDD I CAN'T TAKE MY GAME OF PRETEND SERIOUSLY IF THE GUY WHO PRETENDS TO BE AN ELF IS ALSO TALKING LIKE AN ELF LOL XDDDDDD AM I COOL YET? XDDDDDDD

Ashamedfags and shit roleplayers.

You will never be anything more than rollplayers, kids. :) Accept it and move on, preferably to >>>/reddit/
>>
>>49176243
Sounds like a Mercenry Guild, personally.

Like even with all that bending over backwards to try to justify it it still doesn't make much sense to call it an "adventurer's guild" instead of something else.
>>
File: bait pole.png (90KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
bait pole.png
90KB, 500x501px
>>49176272
1/10
See me after class.
>>
>>49176272
>silly voice fag things a silly voice is needed to roleplay
>he doesn't notice the secondhand embarrassment on the faces of his less spergy friends
You probably think that raspy christian bale voice you're trying to do sounds manly too.
>>
File: Filthy Casual.png (877KB, 900x1346px) Image search: [Google]
Filthy Casual.png
877KB, 900x1346px
>>49173341
No better then that shitty motherfucker that tried to rename the fucking Rule Zero fallacy after himself. I'm STILL mad about that one.
>>
>>49176292
It would be a mercenary guild if all they had to do was fight other armies, bands, etc.

An Adventurer's Guild would probably be more along the lines of "researcher wants some extra hands to investigate recently unearthed tomb"
>>
>>49175561
The settings are never based in medival times, though. It's always pesdo-midevil with anachronisms out the fucking ass.
>>
>>49176411
I think we can all agree, anyone who names a fallacy or law or what-have-you after themselves is a tremendous, egotistical fuckhead.
>>
>>49176272
Are you willing to vocaroo your in-character voice for us? You're not some sort of ashamedfag, are you?
>>
>>49176414

Not him, but why? Do you think sellswords would turn down a job if it's to investigate a tomb as opposed to fight an army? It's fundamentally the same set of skills, used for the same kinds of jobs. Why draw a distinction?
>>
>>49176272
You're gonna false flag while doing a silly voice? Really guy?

Dishonest, hypocritical, AND incomponent.

You know, if you weren't so worried about what everyone thought about you enough to play adult-pretend you might be better at acting.
>>
>>49176292
Fine then, adventurers are mercenaries. Adventurers guild I'd just a euphemistic name for it.
>>
>>49176485
>It's fundamentally the same set of skills, used for the same kinds of jobs
Technically, no, it might not, but that could depend on the situation

Sure, a party of adventurers could run into some monsters inside the tomb that the researcher might want captured or killed, but what if the researcher just wants them to help him draw a map, disarm a trap or help decipher some ancient puzzle?
Do you think the guy that was born and raised to fight on the front lines of a battlefield is going to be much help?

Think about it this way; What's the difference to the skills of a soldier as to that of an explorer?
>>
File: snoosnoo.gif (911KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
snoosnoo.gif
911KB, 500x345px
>>49175299
"The Princess claps with delight, and accidentally lets you see her enormous boner in her excitement."
>>
>>49176736
The researcher is probably doing most of those but the trap disarming himself. He's there to study/decipher the runes, not to hire someone to do it for him. The explorers are there to keep him safe.
>>
>>49176736
>Do you think the guy that was born and raised to fight on the front lines of a battlefield is going to be much help?

Quite honestly, yes. Soldiers often had pretty good outdoorsey and camping and cartography skills.

>Think about it this way; What's the difference to the skills of a soldier as to that of an explorer?

In actual skills? Very little. Most of the famous explorers who went charting the Atlantic, Pacific, or inland in the Americas and the African interior WERE soldiers who mustered out after some war or another ended.
>>
>>49176471
Especially given Rule Zero has been a thing forever, and the fallacy is just as old.

At least the Stormwind one lacked an actual name up until that point, although what a fucking faggot.

...actually, fuck that bitch. What's a good solid alternate name to that? Power Gaming Fallacy?
>>
>>49176736
Trap, landmine, what's the difference really?
>>
>>49176821
>Power Gaming Fallacy
Rollplaying Fallacy might work too.
>>
>>49176821
>>49177040
False equivalence.

Trying to rename the wheel is just as douchey as trying to name it after yourself.
>>
>>49176414
All mercenaries could fit in an adventurers guild.

Not all adventurers could fit in a mercenary guild.

Because Dankledope the Friendmaker I'd just not the right fit for the battlefield. Maybe could fit as a spy, a charm person specialist probably could get a lot of information or even cooperation from the enemy. But he doesn't belong in a direct fight involving multiple enemies.
>>
>>49177117
Nah. Fuck that bitch. He not only named it after himself, cunt stole it from someone else.
>>
>>49177189
I mean call it "false equivalence" instead of making up new silly names.
>>
>>49176471
I'm calling it [Anonymous]'s Sieve.

"You can safely ignore any advice or analysis given to you by someone who's tried to name a law/theory/axiom after themselves*.

*Unless they have a postdoctorate degree.
>>
>>49178059
You forgot the second footnote.

**And they might still be talking rubbish even then.

Margulis' theory on mitochondria makes a lot of sense, but her concept that almost all organelles used to be symbiotic is just stupid. I mean, how the fuck does a purely proteinaceous structure form a symbiotic relationship?
>>
>>49173607
Buddy, that was just literary diarrhea on my keyboard. Kudos for you for even attempting that.
>>
My pet peeve is how many players I've met who play the exact same dwarf character
>Speaks with a bad Scottish accent
>Has an axe and treats it like his wife
>Is always male. Female dwarves don't exist
>Is extremely dumb
>His only interests are drinking ale and stabbing things with his axe
>Is generally just a really boring character
>"But I'm deliberately being cliche, because it's funny! Haha he's such a stereotypical dwarf! Grr laddie face me dwarven fury!"
Sorry just because you acknowledge that your character is a cliche doesn't make the cliche any less annoying
>>
>>49179372
I know how to pronounce some bits of Welsh. That just looks like an Anglicization of something like Japanese.
>>
>>49176411
Who was it? What did they name it?
>>
>>49179678
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Oberoni_Fallacy

What a fucking cunt.
>>
>>49175323

Instead of making goblin minibosses, make wandering goblin encounters literal hoards of goblins, and then the set pieces are the goblins left over, just resting. The hobgoblin barking orders only has a few actual guards with him, making him a fair and tough boss fight

The keypoint is to also make it unrewarding to fight, as well. Make sure that even if they kill off this hoard of 12-20 goblins that show up, they get a bag of rat bones and a yo-yo for their efforts.
>>
>>49159329
I forgive pirates because let's be honest, they're the second thing on GMs favorite list to throw at you whenever you're on a boat, after the Kraken that is. And he basically never gets to use either in most campaigns because players are wise enough to never ever get on the boat.
>>
>>49175710
What you have on your hands is a very minor variation of what's called the "Mad scientist". The mad scientist is a version of another type of player called the Tinkerer. The tinkerer likes to explore your world, to push the physics of the campaign to see where it pushes him back, and to figure out and explore your setting, perhaps even perform feats of engineering, and will generally respond well to puzzles.

The mad scientist is someone who pushes the world where he knows it will cause havoc to DM, player, or both, and is what /tg/ would call the "lolsorandumbXD" type. They're there because they enjoy the freedom of the game and use it as a pseudomeans to harass the DM and/or to do as much "funny" shit as they can think of doing. Much like the general audience for Postal 2 or Grand Theft Auto. They are generally disruptive and should be dealt with by a firm talking to about what you expect out of them, and then a boot from the table.
>>
>>49165851
>space bandits
Silver disagrees with you
>>
>>49175710
I think L5R has a really simple and effective method to creating character and character's motivation - you answer 20 questions. Trick is, you answer 10 as the player and 10 as the character so you flesh out both aspects.
>>
>>49162623
Those bastards.
>>
>>49176126
That's. . .actually a viable strategy, if you don't mind making your character slightly underpowered against the other, normal things.
>>
>>49160470
What if they use the ASoIaF system that's called "Game of Thrones" (the d20 one), but call what they are running ASoIaF?
>>
>>49179515
Please yes this. Nearly my entire group are these

>Nearly silent, semi-autistic monk who does nothing but flurry (both in that he gives minimal response during rp and does literally nothing but vanilla flurry while in combat. I don't think I've ever seen him spend a stunning fist or ki point), which he justifies by saying "cha is a dump stat for monks"
>omnicidal in the name of good paladin
>something involving aquatic fauna
>self-styled manipulative ass only out for himself and not nearly as suave as he thinks he is
>>
>>49180277
Then they ask why entire goblin armies show up every 5 minutes, what are they being tailed?
Then they're gonna puzzle amd argue about what to do about their constant goblin problem eventually ignoring the thing I was trying to speed along entirely.
>>
>>49180352
So a tinker/that guy crossbreed
>>
>>49180352
Where can I find a list of these categories?
>>
>>49176126
This is part of the reasons ranger's suck.
Favored enemy as a class feature does thus automatically.
>>
>>49165815
Not Nick. This is a common problem I've had with multiple groups.

I also hope you aren't staying in character at the sake of fun, whoever you are.
>>
>>49163529
Maybe you shouldn't create characters who would be overwhelming detrimental to the party then? I mean, every scenario has exceptions and if you're party is cool with it then that's great. But if you're all "Lol, I'm going to kill the king for insulting me because it's what I would do in character even though I know it will mean I don't get to play this character any more" then why even make the character in the first place?

Still, the specific thing that made me bring it up at the moment was a party member was willing to entirely destroy a region we control because he hated one of the monsters living it.
>>
>>49182036
Was one of them where a ranger never trusted new party members til they had won his trust, and you kept throwing a fit saying "but it's [player]'s character, you're in the same party, just accept him Carte Blanche and move on"?
>>
>>49182061
>Maybe you shouldn't create characters who would be overwhelming detrimental to the party then?
I think it is more part for the GM to decide those classes and careers are suited for her/his kind of campagne/adventure.
>play Warhammer fantasy border princes
>goal is go south and become rulers of a principle.
>one player actually wanted playing a Troll Slayer.
>GM said no because a Slayer wouldn't really care for such a goal.
>>
>>49181937
>Then they ask why entire goblin armies show up every 5 minutes
Why are they asking that inside the goblin homebase?
>>
>>49159249

>Hey, they want me to run 3.X
>Everyone knows there are severe balance issues.
>Well, if we add this, that, these two, and parts of this splat book, we can make something that might or might not be balanced if you can manage to juggle the dozens of new abilities and hundreds of new spells
>Wait, you're not going to allow any of those splat books?
>AND YOU'RE TAKING THINGS OUT OF CORE?
>HOW THE HELL CAN YOU DO THAT, WHAT KIND OF BASTARD ARE YOU?

I simply do not get it. The idea of trying to re-balance by taking abilities away neer goes over well. And it's not like the whole over complicated thing is going to be helped by adding more features instead of taking them away. It is way easier, as well as more effective, to re-balance by taking away some of Core's dumber ideas (simplest of all is to eliminate a lot of the more absurdly powerful spells), but I have never once seen it go over well.
>>
>>49181956
I use these categories. I find that other than the Autismo and the Puzzler, it does a good job covering the range of players you can expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQsJSqn71Fw

I don't always agree with his ideas and suggestions, even within this video of how to deal with certain player types (I find him far too forgiving of players that need to be excised immediately), but in general he captures a wide range of players based on something from Dragon Mag.
Thread posts: 270
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.