[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>DM gripes thread Let it all out; I'll start: >Be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: whygod.jpg (18KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
whygod.jpg
18KB, 267x189px
>DM gripes thread
Let it all out; I'll start:
>Be me yesterday
>playing 5e with 5 other friends and DM
>Level 3 Human Warlock, elder god because muh Lovecraft, character is paranoid
>Party had just finished a dungeon, were resting in town after shopping
>Wake up to townspeople screaming about a sinkhole, go to investigate with party
>Couple kids and a woman had fallen into the hole
>Town elders acting sketchy, telling everyone to back away and leave and not answering our questions
>"Outsiders leave!"
>I took Mask of Many Faces as an invocation and I took the Actor feat so I devise a plan
>Slink off behind a building and disguise myself as the locksmith I bought my supah strong lock from (paranoid about people looking at my research)
>Asked DM if I can make a perception check to see if locksmith is in crowd
>"He's not." K.
>Walk up to town elders and take a risk: I sidle up to one of them and say (perfectly emulating locksmiths voice via Actor):
>"I can't believe this happened again."
>"Shhh not in front of the outsiders."
>justasplanned.avi
>Had been hiding my telepathic powers from the party but I was forced to use them to surreptitiously convince the party to leave the area.
>Btw I had told the DM that the elders should probably be rolling Investigation checks to detect my disguise but he said they were too busy; fair enough
>As the party is leaving the bard decides (for some reason) to play the drum and try and pied piper the townspeople down to the tavern. >While their kids were in a hole.
>Without being required to roll any dice, the bard successfully disperses the ENTIRE crowd, leaving the party standing there with the elders.
>The elders say: "Fine you can go down and save them but you have to come right back out"
> Turn to me, still in disguise: "What are you still doing here?"
>I was so caught offguard by this chain of events that I just left and ran back undisguised.
>>
TLDR; I took utility feats and abilities specifically to find innovative solutions to scenarios as well as flesh out my character, and the lolbard got rewarded over me, leaving me with nothing for my troubles.
>>
Sounds like you found a clever solution to a problem that (for no reason) the DM didn't think was hard.
>>
>>49089360
You never mentioned the bard got a reward.
>>
>>49089600
I guess I meant how his action solved the encounter, though I'm pretty sure thats not what he had intended
>>
>Complex problem, obvious secretive conspiracy
>Solved with one roll
Your DM sounds like a cunt
>>
>>49089738
He didn't even need to roll
>>
>>49089344
Your party sounds pretty chill overall, if it was mine the elders would have gotten their heads chopped right away.
>>
>>49089360
Taking utility powers and abilities is kind of silly in a game system that pretty much only has actual rules for combat.

For pretty much anything beyond dungeon-murder (and some related activities such as breaking down doors and selling treasure), your DM basically has to wing it because of how little guidance the system gives him. Sure you might get a number labeled "religion", or "persuasion", but it's anyone's guess as to what a result of 15 indicates. Not to mention that knowledge skills are useless if your DM doesn't know what you want to know, or else doesn't want to know. And 9 times out of 10, your DM is going to judge your social interactions by your IRL social skills and not the number on your sheet, so there's next to no point in investing character resources into it.

It's gotten to the point where I simply don't take knowledge skills or utility powers anymore. If your DM wants you to know something, he'll get it to you somehow. If he wants you to get somewhere, you'll be able to get there on time. In 5e, combat and its supporting functions (such as healing and looting) are all you really you need to invest in.
>>
File: 1288661952520.gif (3MB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
1288661952520.gif
3MB, 260x195px
>>49089344

>running a DCC game for some friends
>starting with character funnel and then using that to start a campaign
>one of the players I had run through the character funnel about a year before in a single session
>changed stuff enough so that he wouldn't be bored or know exactly where to look for things/added rooms/etc.
>he recognizes the module and proceeds to ruin the entire thing for the other players
>ask him "what the fuck dude?"
>"well you're the one reusing material"

fucking asshole. he didn't really make a big enough deal over it that we stopped playing but just proceeded to give away everything. going to just make an entirely different 2nd level now and will fuck him hard next session whenever I get the chance
>>
>>49089836
We're all friends IRL and the campaign has been sorta beer (weed) and pretzels. If I wasn't a little medicated myself I might've put up more of a fight
>>
>>49089344
>>49089344
OP here, one last gripe from same session.
>Inside the hole we of course refuse to come out and investigate a tunnel.
>Tunnel opens into a constructed hallway
>End of hallway there's a stone door with a ring and chain contraption next to it
>Bunch of cages hanging from ceiling
>trapsensesalerted
>Ask to roll Investigation to put 2 and 2 together, DM confirms trap, AND that the trigger is the ring contraption.
>TMI but ok.
>Want to do something useful, I had taken the Pact of Tome path and one of my cantrips was Thaumaturgy for fun
>One of the effects: You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut.
>Decide to try it, maybe the door is unlocked?
>My reasoning was there might be a secondary trigger or something else unsavory and there's no harm in using a cantrip
>Tell party to stand back
>DM: "It SLAMS the door open? Roll D20."
>Roll a 5
>"It slams open so hard it bounces off the wall and slams shut again, dislodging the ring."
>Cages slam down, blocking our path.
>Spend about 2 minutes trying to understand DM's logic, eventually cave in interest of moving on.
>Cast eldritch blast like a good warlock rest of the night.
>>
>>49090300
In the OSR game I'm running, one of the rules is that if the players do something that might trigger a trap (i.e. you're not 100% sure if it would or not), you roll a d6, and 2 or lower means it's triggered.
>>
>>49089404
I know why it happened, he hadn't prepared for infiltration and just wanted us in his hole.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.