[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if roleplaying went mainstream and everybody starting talking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 9Rk5mp4.png (977KB, 1348x1683px) Image search: [Google]
9Rk5mp4.png
977KB, 1348x1683px
What if roleplaying went mainstream and everybody starting talking & writing about it like they do about NFL football and Game of Thrones?

Would you stay in the hobby? Would this be good? Would mega-corporations take over the entire industry? Would there be RPG television channels 24/7?

>Elminster's Guide to Catti-Brie
>>
File: yrupiRt.png (2MB, 1592x1800px) Image search: [Google]
yrupiRt.png
2MB, 1592x1800px
>>49064434
>>
>>49064434
I'm not really sure what mainstreaming would entail, but sure. I played during the 3.x boom and managed to be in pretty high demand as a DM among people who had largely not played before. It was fun then, and would probably be more fun now that I know what I'm doing a little better.
>>
Video games are mainstream now and that didn't stop me from enjoying them so it's going to be the same only I will find players faster
>>
>>49064434

Sure it'd be good. Companies would have more money to develop good products. It would be easy to find games with people in real life. Heck, LGS'es would be more common place, and filled with a much wider range of people.

Other people liking the thing doesn't stop me from liking the thing. And if the commercial stuff goes full SJW, then I can just go back to doing things with people who are already friends that I know won't freak out about stupid PC crap.
>>
>>49064434
I guarantee you it would get my dad to play, which would be nice.

Beyond that it wouldn't affect me too much as the issue with my social circles is not that they are not nerdy enough to play, but that they are too flaky to start a game with.
>>
>>49064434

If TTRPGs went mainstream, then the satanic stigma would finally go away. I'd feel like I could more openly say "hi, I play tabletop RPGs" and most people wouldn't think I'm a Satanist. That'd be nice.

For people in the hobby, I suspect it'd be like what Dark Souls fans say. The initial/hardcore fanbase complaining about new "casual gamers" entering their hobby and "ruining" it.
>>
>>49065807

But casuals have ALREADY ruined TTRPGs. They ruined it when D&D3e and the d20 boom happened.
>>
>>49064434
Right now the best most TTRPG books can hope to achieve is breaking even. If it went mainstream and suddenly there was a bunch of money flying around, I can't see it being anything but an improvement. Sure it could be annoying, but quality games manage to exist despite the gaming industry, and quality movies continue to exist despite Hollywood, so I don't see why that paradigm wouldn't apply to RPGs.
>>
>>49066322
This.
d20 turned TTRPGs into a joke for a solid decade.
>>
>>49066322
How do you ruin a non competitive activity played with a group of 3-9 people? Furries could declare PnP RPGS their official activity and it would have literally zero impact on everyone who already played them
>>
Tabletop RPGs are cutting-edge entertainment that is available to people living in mud huts. RPG companies today do their best to monetize it but it isn't the sort of thing where you can control production and I don't see any real potential for corporations to gain a higher stake in the hobby. It's too easy for a tiny company or a fan to make something that's just as good as your product.

If anything this is the best age for corporate profits because people still associate the hobby with the D&D brand name. If RPGs get more popular then we'll get past that bottleneck and people will realize how many different games are out there and how easy it is to just make up shit yourself, which is the point of RPGs.
>>
File: frog_FUCKING_NORMIES_ye_olde_1.jpg (70KB, 618x564px) Image search: [Google]
frog_FUCKING_NORMIES_ye_olde_1.jpg
70KB, 618x564px
>>49068023
Because the crusty grognard is a sensitive creature. It cannot enjoy itself if it knows someone out there that it doesn't know and will never meet is doing something it doesn't like.
>>
>>49068023
>>49068330

Also all RPGs basically share a pool of players and you find this out when you try to recruit new ones.

"Oh yea, I saw your add for a D&D game, I've always wanted to play D&D! All I've ever done is furry sex rp. What are the dice for again?"

I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, when I was in highschool no one could find a game in my area and now my buddy has a group of 5 or 6 made purely of people who work at his Walmart, I think its awesome, but yea we all rub elbows to some extent.
>>
File: space colony gundam.jpg (34KB, 465x349px) Image search: [Google]
space colony gundam.jpg
34KB, 465x349px
More popularity would mean more groups, more games, more fun. If everyone was playing, you'd always have people to play with. You wouldn't have to stick with a mediocre group just because it's the only game in town.

"If it gets popular, it will be ruined" is a weak argument even about things like anime and vidya, which don't require a group to enjoy. When it comes to a social hobby like tabletop, more people playing is just plain better.
>>
File: Happy.jpg (77KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
Happy.jpg
77KB, 300x360px
>>49064434

My skills as a willing, able, and (I hear) accomplished DM/GM would be in high demand, if not for financial gail, then certainly for social clout. That sounds nice. There have been lots of bad TTRPG's made, and I imagine this would increase, but unlike a bad Vidya patch, there is nothing stopping you from playing an "outdated" TTRPG, especially when you're the DM/GM
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.