[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, today's MTG story was quite interesting >Jace is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 42

File: kaladesh.jpg (131KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
kaladesh.jpg
131KB, 1024x512px
So, today's MTG story was quite interesting

>Jace is whipped by Lavinia
>Jace isn't allowed to go to Kaladesh because he has to stay in Ravnica and actually be the Guildpact
>Chandra and Nissa are definitely in lesbians
>Second OC walker confirmed for Kaladesh
>>
holy shit, a robot elephant
>>
>>49060076

Is Chandra a tsundere?
>>
Lavinia is super wet for Gideon.
>>
i can't even keep track off whose perspective I am reading. this writing is awful.
>>
File: 1472334468266.gif (3MB, 700x285px) Image search: [Google]
1472334468266.gif
3MB, 700x285px
>>49060076
>Liliana
Just...
>Liliana
>>
>>49061798
i dont get it, is it lavinia of the tenth command he was mentioning from the azorius shit in ravnica or liliana, not sure if you're trying to correct him or whats going on...
>>
>>49060076
Big Sis Lili is great
>>
>>49061918
I'm posting my reaction to Liliana in the UR
>>
This wasn't a great article. The writer does a good job of portraying some of the more fantastical elements, such as how Nissa deals with being a nature mage on a world with almost no real nature.

But the have a problem with character voice. Not only do a number of the characters speak and think in ways that seem out of character, these are largely the same OOC mannerisms across the bunch. In their attempt to make casual dialog between members of the Gatewatch, everyone is casual in the same manner/language, instead of reflecting their incredibly different cultures and viewpoints. Everyone is just a bit too flippant and modern-casual for my tastes.

Lilliana, for example, hardly strikes me as the sort of person to say 'Hell no'.
>>
>Super gross
>Gids
>hell no
>Come the hell on
>Jerk
>Easy, big fella. Not attacking mom.
>Sowwy
>The hell.
>punchybag
>blah blah blah
>FFFFFFFFF...
>super embarrassing
>super dog noses
>freaking idiot
>SHUT UP SHUT UP.
>WHAT IS COMING OUT OF MY FACE?
>super pi—uh, real angry,
>WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST SAY?
>...I think I'm gonna puke.
>made you feel weird
>SorryIblewupyourthingy
>Big Sis

Wow, I feel so immersed in this setting!
>>
>>49060105
Break out the memes.
>>
>>49062234
>>49062217
Jesus Christ, we went over this in the other thread. It's a fantasy setting, therefore characters can say anything and talk like anything. There's nothing out of character about the way that any of them speak.

It's a fantasy setting, therefore they can sound like anything. Get that stick out of your asses.
>>
>>49062217
You are pretty right, they did act too similar at times.

>>49062234
You are super butthurt at dialogue. We went over this in the snowflake thread too.
>Buh, buh why does Chandra talk like a starbucks girl!!!
She literally walked into a meeting with a pastry like a starbucks girl. If it was anyone but miss "talk faster than my brain can keep up" you'd have a point, but it is, so you're just whining.
>>
>>49062271
>It's a fantasy setting, therefore characters can say anything and talk like anything.

This is true, especially given the multiversal setting.

> There's nothing out of character about the way that any of them speak.

That's false. Its true that, as characters, they can have whatever mannerisms the author wants. But as someone who has been reading these lore articles for a while, it was immediately obviously to me from the first few lines of this story that this wasn't being written by the people who wrote the stories of the previous Block, because that Lilliana and this Lilliana are two completely different people.

You can have a fantasy setting where you can do whatever characterization you want and still have obviously inconsistent characterization for a given character. Thats the sin we have here, stemming from what appears to be a weakness of the writer regarding character voice. There is only really one character voice they can do, and they were struggling to push any of the gatewatch too far from that singular tone for more than a few lines at a time.
>>
>>49060112
No, she genuinely likes being around Nissa and isn't trying to pretend otherwise. She just struggled to explain what she was feeling, felt stupid, and ran off because she was frazzled.
>>
>>49062271

>it's fantasy therefore everyone thinks and acts the exact same way

Damn I wish I was as stupid as you so. Life must be bliss.
>>
>>49060235
To be fair, it seems like Chandra and Liliana are a little wet for him too
>>
>>49062324
>or appeal to girls
That's literally one of the things they're trying to do, on purpose. They're including female characters in the narrative and putting them at the forefront of marketing materials specifically so potential female players have characters they can associate with and relate to. That's not an accident, nor is it something that 'fat white knights' are 'dreaming of', it's absolutely 100% a purposefully engineered change of things.
>>
This writer needs to stop watching animu
>>
>>49062505

> including pretty ladies in prominent marketing material is for the benefit of the female fans, I swear!

You know, I kinda have trouble believing that.
>>
>>49062558
Alright. We'll go back to exclusively handsome looking male characters. Will that make you believe it?
>>
>>49062554
>MTG is never going to attract females
Funny, I seem to notice a lot of female players when I go to prereleases and GPs. Much more than say, 5 years ago.

>It's way too complicated and hard
Magic's too complicated for female players to come to it? Okay, your opinion is officially garbage.
>>
>>49062558
Yeah, because all they're doing is putting half-naked, doe-eyed bimbos with DDs into their stories to get saved by Big McLargehuge and the cleverest man alive.

It's not like this story called attention to Chandra's hair not being perfectly lustrous, or that Jace is a nervous fucking wreck from how much work he has, and isn't always as quick on his feet as he wants people to think he is.
>>
>reading any mtg "lore"
No? Why would I do that. Unkillable inter-dimensional, plane reshaping gods died because of a really big fireball. After that, unless someone put in a LOT of fucking effort into some neo-yawgmoth fighting pherexianized eldrazi in glistening oil theros, I will never read any of their lore. I am not a masochist.
>>
>>49062615
I'd say that's largely due to a societal shift where video games and other 'geeky' hobbies are seen as more acceptable and mainstream, so people don't shy away from them inherently.

But do you honestly, really think that Wizards pushing for female protagonists in the stories, female characters on the marketing materials, and trying to write from a place of understanding (they spoke with a black female writer to make sure they didn't fall into stupid pitfalls or make shit worse when they wrote Kaya, because they understood that those were problems when the primary writer is a white male who doesn't know what it's LIKE to be a black woman) isn't going to cause a single potential customer to take the plunge, or help someone feel welcomed and wanted in a hobby instead of repulsed?
>>
>>49062400
I went in thinking "It can't be that bad", I came out thinking "It was exactly that bad".

The biggest issue I have with the writer is their use of complicated sentences for simple thoughts. Like you said, their shape is all over the place, and artistically. It's a flat out mess.
>>
>>49062658
That's typically how it works though. Think of it this way: Like you said there's a societal shift. So to capitalize on it you do what you can to wave a fuckhuge flag and get people to know you're relevant to that shift.

It's just like how comics in the 70s-80s realized black people were starting to like comis so marvel decided "Here comes black panther, storm, and other such negro friends."
>>
>>49062234

I had to go and actually check if those were bits from the story. They are.

They really are trying to pander and appeal to the Marvel/Joss Wheddon "geek" audience.
>>
>>49062700
>It's a flat out mess.

That said, there were a couple of times when the writer had their shit together enough to manage one or two scenes that didn't immediately fall apart. Oddly, both of the ones I can think of involved Nissa. She seemed like the only one, aside from the Kaladesh dude, that didn't disappear into the sameface writing tone the others got mired in.
>>
>>49062658

Oh look, it's a female PR shill from Wizards trying to blend in with the 4chan misogynists.
>>
>>49062711
Right, but I also think that you can do that in a GOOD way that makes people want to stick to your shit, and in a bad way that just feels like really half-assed pandering. The attempt to 'reach out' to black people in the 80s and 90s really pissed a lot of people off; Dwayne McDuffie wrote a letter to Marvel bashing how 25% of their black super heroes in 1988 had skateboard-based superpowers. People also called attention to how prevalent music/sound/electric based powers were.
>>
>>49062752
>I don't actively despise anything with a vagina or fall into a frothing rage at the thought of women handling Magic cards
>Therefore I'm a female PR shill
>>
File: 1351002229118.jpg (308KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1351002229118.jpg
308KB, 1200x900px
>tfw Gix will never return
>>
>>49062726

I am hoping this is an anomaly. The last few story bits were actually pretty good. The Promised End was probably the best magic lore we have gotten since they moved to this online short story format.

And this clearly wasn't a very important lore segment. I'm hoping this is just one of their more inexperienced writers that was given a chance to cut their teeth on a relatively unimportant story, and we will return to our regular quality soon.
>>
>>49062782
>I get accused of being a female PR shill, therefor I immediately jump to accusing my opposition of woman-hating
>Therefor I am a female PR shill
Fixed that for you, cunt.
>>
>>49062793
The Promised End was shit. You're confusing it with Saint Traft and the Flight of Nightmares, a plot divorced from the Gatewatch.
>>
>>49062782
No, you were literally shilling. Justifying shitty story construction with "but guys, some girl might buy it, so it's okay" is condescending and immature. My girlfriend likes New Phyrexia, and she hates all this tasteless pandering because it's about treating women who might play the hobby as intrinsically different from women who enjoy the hobby already.

Also, nice incendiary language, faggot. The shill's first tool is hyperbole, and the second is inflammatory accusations against detractors.
>>
>>49062761
Yeah, seriously. What is it with black people and electric powers? What's the connection there?
>>
>>49062865
How else are you going to burn down your neighbourhood if not by starting with a spark?
>>
MTG fiction is terrible and does the game a great disservice.
>>
>>49062876
With FIRE? Bigass sheets of flame fired from muh dick.
>>
>>49062271
They can sound like anything, true. What they can't do, if they're intending to write well, is sound an entirely different way than they have before. Plus, the way they speak is downright embarrassing. They all use the idioms of socially awkward geeks, because the readers are socially awkward geeks and the intent is to make them "relatable." Liliana is not your average socially awkward geek; neither are Gideon or Nissa or even Chandra. I could see them coming from Jace, maybe. Maybe. Not from the others.

The problem is, these are Planeswalkers. These are beings that have traveled across the Multiverse, encountered trauma the likes of which we can't even imagine, faced off against ridiculously powerful beings, and they're still here. They don't act like pasty nerds.

>>49062505
Ha, no. They're including female characters in the narrative because they're 50% of most races, and for what minor genetic differences there may or may not be between the genders there's magic. There's no reason not to.

>>49062750
I'd have to agree. The scene with Chandra and Liliana at the beginning was vomit-worthy, but Nissa's half of the battle with Gideon wasn't too bad. (Admittedly, his casual speech and reaction was fucking retarded, but she didn't do too bad.)

Part of the problem is also that you're putting a group of five people all diametrically opposed to each other in the same building on the same plane, and not getting any of the sparks you'd expect - no pun intended. Liliana isn't going off and deciding to rule a plane and raise an army of zombies because she can, she's sitting around doing next to nothing. I can see Nissa still trying to get stronger, and thank fucking god Jace is back to his Guildpact duties, but Gideon would be out running around trying to help everyone by himself. Again. They wouldn't be participating in a fucking slice of life anime.
>>
I'm honestly surprised that people here of all places are disliking that they wrote an anime episode with planeswalkers.

In a broad story sense, this story is perfect. It sets a status quo. It introduces the plot for the episode. Going forward I kinda want each block to start like this.

The only thing I didn't like was the Chandra perspective, that was too pandery. The Lili perspective, however, was straight up Tony Stark and I think that's exactly what they should be going for.
>>
>>49060076
I think the whole Jund shard of the gate watch is in lesbians desu
>>
>>49062962
>disliking that a bunch of battleworn warriors and mighty wizards act like they're out of a SOL anime
>surprising
>>
>>49062964
You see, people talking shit about the writing need to look past that and realize that there's currently a 3-way lesbian shard going on.

>>49062962
>I'm honestly surprised that people here of all places are disliking that they wrote an anime episode with planeswalkers.
I think it's mainly just because they did it with these particular walkers.

If some other, probably newer monored walker was running around making "hilarious" jokes and shortening everyone's names to single syllables then people wouldn't be as mad.
>>
>>49062792
>Wanting Gix

but why?
>>
>>49063042
I'd have to agree that if it was a new character who was intentionally built like this, who hadn't seen their parents executed in front of them and who hadn't gone toe-to-tentacle with impossible horrors from beyond the pale of reality, then I probably wouldn't mind it. Their spark-igniting experience could've been something that wasn't caused by an outside force, like falling off a tall building or being buried in a landslide, so their psyches are scarred but not as dramatically as, say, Gideon's. Then, I could honestly see it. But with Chandra? No.

>>49063057
Who is the "they" in this scenario?
>>
File: 0422.png (210KB, 599x457px) Image search: [Google]
0422.png
210KB, 599x457px
>>49063077
>Guildpact
>Saving the Multiverse

that's like saying you saved Mozambique and Zimbabwe from being destroyed and claiming you saved the world
>>
>>49063042
>>49063028
>>49062991

I think if wizards was more explicit about BFZ being a Time Spiral level story 'reset' then we'd see people being a lot more level headed about it.

Retcons all over the place, none of the main characters are the characters they were beforehand, kill several high profile enemies, even had a time travel reset the block before. Zendikar was the one big dangling cliffhanger they had, they finished it, and now we're in a new canon.
>>
>>49063117
Well, Mirrodin's story was technically finished, but New Phyrexia is kind of a dangling cliffhanger, becuase it's the Phyrexians and everything.

Unless they never learn interplanar travel and they're just a big ball of corruption tucked away in a magic safe.
>>
File: you filthy joke killer.jpg (74KB, 770x546px) Image search: [Google]
you filthy joke killer.jpg
74KB, 770x546px
>>49063117
Well, the problem is, they never mentioned it being a massive reset. And these are all nominally the same characters they had before. If they introduced Joce, Goodon, Liliena, Naysa, and Chundra, I'd be okay. With Jace, Gideon, Liliana, Nissa, and Chandra, I'm not. It's that simple.

>>49063077
>>49063091
>>49063127
>>49063160
You can stop now. Repeating something once is emphasis, a hundred times is autism.
>>
>>49062879

Other than Liliana the rest are in their twenties, if memory serves.

That said, Gideon was a soldier from a world heavily based on ancient Greece, so it is kinda weird seeing that he's from one of the least modern planes we've come across.
>>
>>49062271
I certainly wish I could just turn off parts of my brain at will. Life must sure be a lot more fun when you don't think critically and conciously about things and instead just accept everything no matter how mediocre or bad it really is.
>>
>>49060076
Holy fucking shit Kaladesh gave me chills

http://magic.wizards.com/en/home/kaladesh

Not even joking this plane is a 10/10
>>
>>49062792
What the fuck was even so attractive about Gix? Sure, he was a threatening villain and evil as shit, but I don't remember him being charismatic or quirky or whatever enough to warrant a big fanbase.
>>
>>49063245

>Page one
>Nowhere near saging

OK, so any justifiable reason to make a new thread is clearly not present, so why have you killed an innocent thread to do this, Anon? Is this just because your new meme isn't catching on?
>>
I don't know about bad writing but I really like mangos so I'm giving it a 6/10
>>
>>49062941
> Liliana isn't going off and deciding to rule a plane and raise an army of zombies because she can, she's sitting around doing next to nothing. I can see Nissa still trying to get stronger, and thank fucking god Jace is back to his Guildpact duties, but Gideon would be out running around trying to help everyone by himself. Again. They wouldn't be participating in a fucking slice of life anime.

These are all things that I think can be handled well, they just were not by this writer.

Lili is biding her time as a snake sitting amongst the Gatewatch, building up 'good credit' and waiting to cash it in so she can get their help dealing with her Chainveil/Demon problems. She has lived for 200 years, and she has eternal youth now. She can afford to wait, as long as waiting suits her long term goals. Even in this we see the signs of her learning exactly what buttons to push to bend the Gatewatch in the direction she chooses, which is a pretty Lili thing to do.

Jace is doing his motherfucking job, and Lavenia is making sure he keeps doing it. Which is about goddamn time.

Nissa gets a pass on sitting around doing nothing, she got Emrakuled pretty hard and Innistrad was far from kind to her. If anything, I am kinda surprised she isn't back on Zendikar chilling with her BFF plane and helping rebuild the ecosystem. I also thought that the idea of Chandra envying the placid control that Nissa has to be the potential for a good character relationship between them, since Chandra certainly has power but she lacks focus and she knows it.

Gideon seems to be in 'preparing for the next battle' mode. For him, dedicating a few months to teambuilding and training so that they work better as a group the next time the Gatewatch assembles is perfectly fine. He has lost his entire group before this, its his dark backstory whatsit. He is in no rush to repeat that mistake.
>>
It wasn't that bad in french

>inb4 Read it in english, you faggot
I don't wanna
>>
File: Gideon.jpg (665KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Gideon.jpg
665KB, 900x900px
>>49062484
I wonder why.
>>
>>49063398
>Liliana
I can see it, but sure as hell not the way she acts.
>Jace
Thank fucking God.
>Nissa
Well, yes. Could be worse. Honestly, I don't think we saw enough of her mind to go "bad."
>Gideon
Maybe. For one thing, if he is in "training" mode, he's far too casual about it. For another, as far as we're aware, he's only training Nissa to bring her back up to strength. Also, given that Ravnica still isn't fixed and the Boros still need him, I'd think it'd be right back into the fray with him.
>>
File: tumblr_oblk3rjnVC1qjqvxao1_1280.jpg (625KB, 1280x899px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oblk3rjnVC1qjqvxao1_1280.jpg
625KB, 1280x899px
>>49062941
>and not getting any of the sparks you'd expect
Honestly they should just leave that to Maro
His version of their downtime is a lot better than the official version
>>
>>49063454

I feel like Gideon's had something of a falling-out with Aurelia? Was it just that one flavor text?

He is clearly the only one that is taking the extremely realistic possibility Liliana will fuck them all over the second it's convenient to do so seriously, though.
>>
>>49063534

Nobody gives a shit about your meme. Go to your thread.
>>
>>49063454

Yeah, that's the problem. At their core the motivations in play are fine and could make for good lore. But all of the dialog and interactions this article were botched so badly they spoiled the ingredients.

I suspect that either the outline for what was supposed to happen here was handed off to someone else to write it, and that second writer wasn't up to snuff... or the writer here has what seemed like pretty good ideas at the meeting table and was entrusted to write the actual story which is a totally different skillset and they couldn't quite hack it.
>>
Reminder that most of the Gatewatch are in their mid-20s and have less than stellar lives and role models. Liliana is the oldest, being pre-mending (approximately year 4500), but the rest of the gang were born over 70 years later. Chandra in 4586, Jace in 4582, and Gideon in 4581. Nissa's approximate birthdate is unknown.

The events of Khans of Tarkir finish up in 4608, meaning that Gideon is almost 30, and Chandra is almost 25. Given Tarkir finishes up with Ugin learning about the release of the Eldrazi, and he immediately heads off to Zendikar, we can guess that the Gatewatch is formed around 4609, and the events on Innistrad couldn't have taken more than a year. So we're in 4610, by my reckon.

But yeah the dialogue sucks and it hurts to read.
>>
I find it fascinating how on the first thread, people were arguing in favor of the sort of language that Chandra uses, saying that it fits her character and that anyone can sound like anything in a fantasy setting.

In the second thread, more people collectively go 'what the fuck, this dialogue is atrocious.'

In the third thread, it's acknowledged to be so bad that one fucker's memeing it up over this shit.
>>
>>49063513
I don't recall any falling out, although it could have happened. Honestly, I'd expect someone as red-secondary as Gideon would probably go out on their own if need be.

>>49063553
Apparently this is the only story by Chris L'Etoile. I'd buy that they just came up with the idea and let them write it rather than hand it off to an established writer.

>>49063596
That doesn't excuse how they talked. If anything, they'd be more cynical and realistic, which makes this worse.
>>
>>49063513
There was no real falling-out. Aurelia offered him Boros membership as a captain or general or something and his own battalion to lead but he declined partly because he felt she was too much of a hardliner. Aurelia didn't like that but she wasn't pissed off or anything. Also there were some lines about her throwing sexy eyes at him. Pretty much every female he's ever encountered wants him and he always says no. He's either gay or the most professional guy ever who knows how pussy can fuck shit up.

But maybe we'll get a threesome between him and Aurelia and Lavinia next time we're on Ravnica.
>>
>>49063601

Chandra, herself, can probably be forgiven some of her dialog. Its a tiny bit cringey, but she is the Red mana chaos baby. She has always just been a ball of emotion and fire.

The problem is that everyone else is acting the same way.
>>
File: Gideon_Jura.png (503KB, 620x603px) Image search: [Google]
Gideon_Jura.png
503KB, 620x603px
I miss Gideon. This new Kytheon guy is a fucking idiot.
>>
>>49062554
>Also the social value of mtg players is way too fucking low. If you didn't know, women are intensely aware of social hierarchy. MTG is at the bottom of that.
I think that you have forgotten the social subbasement where dwell the people that even we wont talk to. (you know who you are!)
>>
>>49063685
He does it on purpose. Canonically.
Just so he can shit on people who think he's an idiot later.
Just ask Noyan Dar. It happened to the smuggest scholar on all of Zendikar, it'll happen to this new Vedalken guy, it'll happen to Liliana.
>>
>>49063685
He's still by far the best of the five.
>>
>>49063650
Interesting fact, Chris L'Etoile was one of the writers for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, along with Dawngate (RIP).
>>
>>49063650
I see it as "people who have led lives of nonstop danger and adventure finally have an opportunity to relax and attempt being normal young people (and failing badly)."

>>49063654
He's a battlesexual. His only loves are beating the shit out of people, JUSTICE, and his weird facial hair.
>>
>>49063719

All sins will be forgiven if it gets us a scene of dawning comprehension from Liliana that she has been outsmarted by Gideon, and has been for some time.
>>
>>49063654
>Pretty much every female he's ever encountered wants him

He is the living personification of the knight in shining armor. The fundamentally good hero who puts himself in the way of harm for others and comes out the other side with his hair still looking amazing.

He is what every little girl wanted in a husbando when they were young, before they grew up and accepted they would have to settle for real people.

And pretty much every male character that meets him falls under his natural aura of leadership and command too. Even Ob Nix, who hated him on principal, couldn't help but enjoy fighting against him.
>>
>https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisletoile

For anyone interested, this is the author's body of work.
>>
>>49063764
As someone said in another thread:
>Liliana faces a number of hardships and misfortunes she can't do anything about because admitting any of them are happening requires facing the idea Gideon is not stupid
>Gideon continues to be himself around her, but uses her utter contempt for him being charming, friendly, and altruistic to troll her relentlessly without ever acting out of character
>>
File: reddit.png (88KB, 917x930px) Image search: [Google]
reddit.png
88KB, 917x930px
reddit loves it, why don't you?
>>
>>49063862
>Inviting /pol/
There's wanting to see the world burn, and then there's this.
Rethink your life.
>>
File: gatewatch.jpg (57KB, 667x415px) Image search: [Google]
gatewatch.jpg
57KB, 667x415px
http://www.strawpoll.me/11110713
>>
>>49063838

Looks like he is largely tapped for narrative direction instead of nitty gritty dialog. Which makes sense, the overall idea for the story was sound but its the implementation that was severely lackluster.

Seems like this was just a misuse of his talents, WOTC mistaking him for a short story writer.
>>
File: MtG_Freejam.png (613KB, 582x448px) Image search: [Google]
MtG_Freejam.png
613KB, 582x448px
Here's a bit of interesting information.

The symbol for the Kaladesh set is apparently reminiscent of the head of a Kaladeshi dragon.
>>
>>49060076
>whipped
you mean detained, right?

jace (as the guildpact) has a CMC of 4, so she can lock him up all day long
>>
>>49062234
Are we sonic the hedgehog now?
>>
File: 1457636125798.jpg (378KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1457636125798.jpg
378KB, 1024x768px
>>49063895
>someone unironically voted for Jace
>>
>>49063999
Nope, not seeing it.
I was seriously tempted to give you "no, this is uterus" with corresponding visual evidence, but on second though it's not worth the ban
>>
>>49063999
Nah the curves would go the other way
>>
>>49063596
Shadows block takes less than a month.
>>
The thing that annoyed me the most was that Chandra was acting like a twelve-year-old girl instead of a twenty-something nerd.

Also, the author was trying way too hard to try and use uncommon words. Misliked, for one.
>>
>>49063819
He's Captain Carrot of the Night's Watch. He doesn't want you to do something because he says so, he wants you to do it because it's the law, and the right thing to do.
>>
File: Liliana of the Gatewatch.jpg (20KB, 500x297px) Image search: [Google]
Liliana of the Gatewatch.jpg
20KB, 500x297px
>>49064207
Misliked was strangely okay for Liliana just because she's ancient.
>>
>>49062234
gatewatch are pretty much Rat Queens now.
>>
>>49063654
>He's gay
Well he IS from not!Sparta of the ancient greek plane so that might be possible.

Him attracting girl's isn't surprising since he was designed as a trashy romance novel sexy man.
>>
>tfw Beefslab Mancake walks around in front of all the girls without a shirt on
>>
>>49062234
to be fair, "sowwy" was supposed to be talking through food.
>>
>>49063999
>implying you have seen a vagina
NEEEERDS
>>
>>49064267
Isn't that atrocious
The face on the short one is. It's like someone shrunk it on photoshop
>>
>>49064273
By a woman I think
>>
capeshit and joss whedon should be wiped out from history
>>
>>49064298
>"Sorry," came Chandra's response, obscured through an ambitious mouthful.

'Sowwy' has no excuse.
>>
>>49064353
Yeah, you're right on that part too.
>>
>>49064346
What's real surprising is that they haven't eaten them before. I would. It's like you're fighting a war against literal animals, every corpse is free rations. And hey, if they ain't poison, your supply lines just got waaaaay stronger
>>
>>49064267
And that's a bad thing how?
>>
>>49064363
Eh a mouthful of food is fine. Though out of context it's just fuck
>>
>>49064388
Eldrazi don't seem like they'd be a safe meal, though, but I could be wrong.
>>
File: 197.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
197.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>49064388
>>
>>49064403
Well I don't really like Rat Queens so I guess so.
>>
>>49064413
SO? YOURE A WIZARD, DE-POISON THAT SHIT OR SOMETHING
>>
>>49064446
How the fuck are you supposed to depoison the eldritch meat of a being outside your understanding and infinitely your greater?
I swear if you say "Turn it into jerky"
>>
>>49064480
... You didn't see the part about how literally all life in magic are supposedly descendants of eldrazi spawn, did you?
>>
>>49064480
Grill it reeeaaaally carefully, duh
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 223x310px
>>49064480
pitstop in mercadia.
>>
>>49063276
>>49063245
You are platinum mad.
>>
>>49064388

Those things look like you'd get cancer just by licking one. I certainly wouldn't trust myself to keep one down no matter HOW hungry I got.
>>
>>49062400
>tumblr
They got the audience they wanted and with it the quality of workers it brings.
Soon MaRo, Forsythe, Beyer and Stoddard will be kicked out for being evil cis white men and replaced by transotherkin polygenderfluid multiethnic attack helicopters.
>>
>>49064576
Considering Ulamog's lineage turns you to dust by touch, I'm not sure cancer is what you should be worrying about.
>>
>>49062461
They won't give a single shit about the characters' personalities until they get their damned movie and suits demand cross-promotion authenticity. Right now Uncharted Realms and flavor articles are "shit for neeeeeeeerds" and being writen by the assholes who bullied such nerds in high-school.
>>
File: MtG_Greenwheel.png (95KB, 1246x375px) Image search: [Google]
MtG_Greenwheel.png
95KB, 1246x375px
I'm a little bit peeved that so far, it looks like the block will be limited entirely to the main city, as though it's Ravnica V2.

Looks like the only access to green we'll be getting will be mechanical 'false creatures' and the occasional elf, from the look of it.
>>
>>49062554
>Also the social value of mtg players is way too fucking low. If you didn't know, women are intensely aware of social hierarchy. MTG is at the bottom of that.
I wish, the couple clickbait articles about stolen collections/decks and store break-ins has made a certain kind of woman very aware there's a market full of teens and young adults willing and able to spend thousands of dollars in cardboard.
>>
>>49064614
As a proud transotherkin polygenderfluid multiethnic attack helicopter. I take umbrage at any suggestions that my people will take the place as the villains from the white man. After all that's all the white man is good for. But if it does happen, expect a scathing impotent rage filled rant on my blog.
>>
>2016
>Still no planeswalker who does nothing but goof around and sitesee the multiverse
>Gets hasseled by the Jacetus league to help with shit but nopes right out
Fun walker when?
>>
>>49062700
Complicated sentences for simple thoughts and oversimplified, stuttering, miscomunicating dialogue all around.
It's like if the characters were fucking middle schoolers.
>>
>>49063744
or attempting to write that sort of scene and failing badly at it.
It feels less like people who are awkward around each other, than just awkwardly written people.

But I'm jumping on the wagon of it not being a bad idea for a piece, just pretty poor in the execution.
Like for example, Lilliana thinking of Gideon as mancandy and referring to him as such can kinda work. Like in the last EMN story where she thinks "and then the eye candy started talking", it's actually pretty funny, and shows the casual dismissal Lilly feels.
But in this story it does not work.

The quality control on these stories could stand to be raised a fair bit.
>>
>>49064806
Lili's the closest, with a helping of ambition.
>>
File: Make it stop.jpg (238KB, 1041x652px) Image search: [Google]
Make it stop.jpg
238KB, 1041x652px
Hey you think if I faxed over a runny shit smeared on copy paper along with my resume stating I'm a quarterblack simease otherkin with albert einstein as a headmate who self identifies as a borg cube with the gender of Hedwig the writing team would hire me?
>>
>>49060076
>One of them had rockets in his boots. But he blew up. Boof!" Chandra's hands cupped and spread apart, describing an expanding cloud of yuck. "Chunks everywhere. Super gross."

Chandra Nalaar on watching a person die everyone.
>>
>>49064933
That's near Urza level detatchment, good on her
>>
Mtg lore went further down hill than whfb lore in recent years. I get that you guys like the game, but why even klick on thiscancerous shit anymore?
>>
>>49064933
have you ever seen nascar? have you ever seen a nascar fan? because she's also watching the science-magic equivalent of even more dangerous nascar. with goblins.
>>
>>49064933
>Izzet Air Races.

I can only imagine them being like wacky races, but with more goblins and explosions
>>
>>49064422
>not liking Rat Queens
>>
>>49062658
>we need a expert on African-Americans to write a fantasy black person that comes from nobility
But... Why?
>>
>>49064998
AoS lore is actually pretty good now, save place names the beastclaw army book is solid
>>
>>49065058
WE
>>
>>49064933
Goblins are not people. You are trying too hard.
>>
>>49065084
Not only has that meme overstayed it's welcome, you're not even using it right.
>>
>>49065098
What about Crixizix?
>>
Phyrexia better be showing up to teach them some proper multiculturalism and diversity
>>
>>49065098
hey, across every plane the one constant of goblins is that they can be anything they want to be, no matter how bad they are at it. If a goblin wants to be a person they can. these goblins just wanted to be sky racers.
>>
>>49065066
they do need to rethink how they name things.
Flesheater Court was pretty cool, but the 'there all delusional and think they are noble lords in finery', doesn't fit with naming each other 'Sir Gutslobber' or whatever.

Or just learning to not put the same word so close to each other in sentences.
Like, in Sanderson's Stormlight Archive, Kaledan 'Stormblessed' used the Stormlight from the Stormfather's Highstorm to fight over the Everstorm summoned by the Stormform voidbringers possed by Stormspren.
But the word 'storm' never shows up that often in a paragraph.
>>
>>49064998
>downhill
Yes, because MtG lore has such a history of being good.
Spoilers: the quality hasn't gone anywhere. Your nostalgia goggles are just blinding you.
Well, either that or you're just on the bandwagon, but what kind of faggot would actually do that?
>>
>>49062658
>>49062658
>people are incapable of empathy
CONTINENTAL PHILOSOPHY DETECTED
hows your degree in ethnic studies going anon? found a job yet?
oh and, i would like to order a cafe mocha with extra cream and a 2 sides of salt
>>
File: usvseugdp.jpg (78KB, 1084x719px) Image search: [Google]
usvseugdp.jpg
78KB, 1084x719px
>>49062658
>black people in america are the same as black people in a made up universe
dumbass
>>
>you will never be forced to impregnate ink-eyes against your will
>>
>>49064267
Oh shit no.
You're right.
>>
>>49065224
>Spoilers: the quality hasn't gone anywhere. Your nostalgia goggles are just blinding you.
to be fair to him, there have been parts that were good. Human's are just very selective in what they remember, so if it's something we like we're more likely to remember the good bits and forget the bad bits, and vice versa.
>>
File: The other half is violence.jpg (110KB, 379x596px) Image search: [Google]
The other half is violence.jpg
110KB, 379x596px
>>49064505
>literally all life in magic are supposedly descendants of eldrazi spawn
WHAT
>>
>>49064933
I'm more concerned that an almost 30 year old woman talks like a teenager.
>>
I honestly hope this is Lorwyn levels of backfire for them
getting real sick of this ham handed pandering garbage literally every day everywhere I look and the wiring on top of it all is even worse than usual.
A tween on fanfiction.net could do better.
>>
>>49064403
Nigger, Rat Queens is like playing edgy Pathfinder with 4 that guys pretending to be girls.
>>
>>49064480
>a being outside your understanding and infinitely your greater
No such thing.
If it dies to my means it's below me in the food chain.
>>
>>49065341
So long story short the eldrazi are the planar recycling service and Emmy is the one that seeds the "new" planes with life
>>
>>49065365
>hating fun characters.
It's not Fell's five but still pretty great.
And how the fuck are they edgy?
>>
>>49065365
This
It's a shitty shitty comic on par with The Boys and Bomb Queen
>>
>>49065356
I can and probably will do better as soon as I thin of names
>>
>>49065098
>Goblins are not people

Considering the fact they're sapient, sentient and bipeds that's a bit like saying a foreign midget isn't a person.
>>
>>49065317
Makes sense to me. I know I bought a couple MtG books because Chainer's Torment was pretty great.
>>
>>49065450
Just string random letters together in a way that sounds "fantastical". Boom done.
You will have already put more thought into it than the WotC creative team. Now don't forget to shoehorn in a clear agenda and make sure to REALLY drive it home as blatantly and clumsily as you can while also insulting your readerbase AND isolating your core demographic in favor of a group quick to pick something up, then drop it.

Congrats! Now your a WotC or Marvel employee!
>>
>>49065317
Read every book from Invasion up through Saviors of Kamigawa where I stopped because it just turned into a shitty DBZ ending that made no godamn sense and was hilariously out of place.

Aside from that one novel, I enjoyed all the others.
>>
>>49065478
Next your gonna say kobolds and orcs are people. I bet youre for elf rights too
>>
>>49065478
Build a wall and make goblins pay for it.
>>
I miss the old MTG when it didn't pander to women and minorities that don't even play the game
>>
>>49065504
>AND isolating your core demographic
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you aren't there core demographic, and haven't been.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that's the problem the whiners about "SJW pandering" actually have. That this shows that they aren't the core demographic anymore.
That they are ignoring you because they can. Because if you all of you actually do quite the game in a huff, they'll survive just fine. They don't need you, and that stings.
>>
>>49065597
>abandon the "evil white man" demographic
>game dies in less than a year

I'll be licking up Wizards' sweet salty tears when they try to win us back with some kind of brown-nosing /pol/ themed expansion, because I'd rather see this ship sink than share it with the vermin they think is their new core demographic.
>>
>>49065589
How the flying fuck does that impact your enjoyment of the game?
>>
>>49065597
>Been playing the game since about a year after its innitial launch
You know what? You're right.
I've grown up, played thousands of games, developed new hobies, seen friends come and go... and I think it's time.
I think after Urzas, Lorwyn, and Morrodins slumps; after sticking with the game for so long I can sit atop my cardboard horde and watch this company burn their universe and franchise to the ground. Just like I've been watching Marvel trip over its own feet, cursing as it guts itself and DC attempts to be relevant.
It's time to just sit back and watch them all die. And the more I think on it, the more it makes me happy. It's a bitter sweet release.
>>
>>49065646
It went from "HEY! LOOK AT THIS COOL MONSTER THING! WOW WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!" to "LISTEN HERE YOU CIC SHITLORD LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL QUEEN. SHE IS A PERSON OF COLOR AND SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU AND SHE IS A ROYAL AND ALSO A LESBIAN AND SUPER STRONG DON'T YOU WANT TO SEE WHAT SHE'S DOING?!"

Which is hyperbole, but if todays little piece of "writing" is anything to go by, they are heading down the road to make that reality rapidly.
>>
>>49065646
It severely weakened the designs and the lore.
>>
>>49065734
It's all in your head faggotron.
>>
>>49063398
Also, from what little bit of information we got while being inside Nissa's head, she might be trying to get in touch with Ravnica's planar core and awaken it, seeing as she meditated so hard she put herself into the core/essence of a seed and tried to get it to grow.

Which is something that I think all the Gruul and Selesnya will appreciate, dunno about Simic or Golgari. Simic might (unbridled growth, something new to disect!), Golgari might not care (new life, meh, it all eventually will go in the mulch pile for us to recycle).
>>
>>49065800
No, the lore as a whole has lost most of its wonder and creativity, coincidentally with the arrival of SJW writers.
>>
>>49065696
it's sad. you almost came to the realization that, when you grow up you need to let go of some things and not blame others for ruining them when it's just time for you to move on - but then you didn't.
>>
>>49065628
>the "evil white man demographic"
If by "evil" you mean the subset who gets supper pissy about groups other than white men showing up in media, then yes.
Because you are a small subset, and you can leave. Most of the white male demographic doesn't get all pissy about this, and just because you are also a white male doesn't mean that you're fragility reflects that of the majority of white male customers of MtG.

>>49065696
>Been playing the game since about a year after its innitial launch
how nice, that doesn't make you the core demographic.

>It's time to just sit back and watch them all die.
except they aren't dying. and that's what's making you so pissy.
Because they can do things you don't like, and be fine.
>>
>>49065856
That's what liberal upbringing turns kids into: egomaniacs who can only write about muh feelings and their own inflated ego. That's coincidentally also who's currently writing MTG lore.

>>49065879
They call us "evil" because they think if I so much as lay eyes on them, I have already raped them.
>>
>ITT: tumblr pretends it isn't killing Magic
>>
>>49065918
>ITT MRAs pretend that magic is dying because they don't like it any more.
>>
>>49060076
There is some deeply gay shit going down between Chandra and Nissa, I'm not bothered by that I'd just like it written a touch better.

Also anyone who's read the "In the Teeth of Akoum" how different is rebranded hippy Nissa to elf Hitler? Would Old Nissa have taken that ginger sow like she was beging for it by now?
>>
File: inurhead.jpg (120KB, 600x555px) Image search: [Google]
inurhead.jpg
120KB, 600x555px
>>49065800
You're right. Writing across all "nerd" platforms is at its peek and no one is under attack under all forms of media.
>>
>>49065438
>he doesn't like The Boys
wanker
>>
>>49065967
No, but there's been articles where Nissa learned to be less hitlery. Read 2015's Worldwaker article
>>
>>49066008
That was the only interesting part of her character. Her flaw and her strength. Her hook. That she was a "hero", but a giant elf supremacist that hated even breathing the same air as something without pointed ears.
They went ahead and broke her down into another cardboard cutout right quick.
>>
>>49065988
>capeshit
Not even once
>>
>>49066008
Yeah and that's fine but she's just a total pussy now, really did some Eldrazi mindrape her into trauma or something?
>>
File: 1468348622375.png (247KB, 539x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468348622375.png
247KB, 539x500px
>>49065918
>>49065951
I don't think the lore is gonna kill magic as much as the scaled back strength in cards will.

Imagine of Eldritch Moon was on similar levels of power to anything from the Scars block or Original Zendikar. The story could have been the same but if that power was present the cards would have probably been fun to use and everyone would be talking about how much of a rad set it was.

Real facts, I would assume more than half of Magic's playerbase don't even follow the lore so the lore ain't gonna do shit to the game. What matter is what plays fun. Everyone loves Kamigawa as a setting and wants to go back. Kamigawa was fucking ass though. People were disappointed with it's cards and scaled back power.

Everyone's freaking out over the lore killing magic when it's development who are the real enemy because they're fucking boring now.
>>
File: 1472410186655.jpg (75KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472410186655.jpg
75KB, 500x500px
>tfw you realized MTG had a story.
>>
>>49065988
>[unsolicited opinions on israel???]
>>
>>49066102
>really did some Eldrazi mindrape her into trauma or something
Ulamog nuked her "superior" tribe off the face of Zendikar. Out of the three elven nations, there's half of one other nation left.
>>
>>49065988
>>49064903
>Real people are paid real money to write these things
There's hope for all of us after all.
>>
The day will come when we will take back what's ours.
>>
>>49066185

It's just a card game about wizards anon. There are better things to crusade for.
>>
>>49065038
>liking rat queens
>>
>>49065951
>>49065918
ITT: dumbcunts who are both being played by the Jews who are truly killing the game can't realize it and fight each other instead
>>
>>49065988
What's the problem? The last line alone makes it worth it.
>>
>>49066327
>tumblr isn't part of the Jew's partisans

wew
>>
File: Yui and Dex.jpg (52KB, 571x540px) Image search: [Google]
Yui and Dex.jpg
52KB, 571x540px
>>49064403
>>49065436
My beef with Rat Queens is that it is lazy and uninteresting. Take any setting that is long before modern times, inject it with modern themes, and suddenly it's just a modern setting with a old timey makeover.

I can understand why some people like it but as a writer I see it as unimaginative.

Plus I don't like the art really.
>>
>>49063895
where's the 'they all need to die and never come back' option?
>>
It made me sad. I hope cards are better than this storytelling.
>>
File: Nissa.jpg (1MB, 1800x2722px) Image search: [Google]
Nissa.jpg
1MB, 1800x2722px
>>49066150
Wait so Nissa is pic related?
>>
File: chandra.jpg (103KB, 745x655px) Image search: [Google]
chandra.jpg
103KB, 745x655px
there's not enough qt planeswalker SoL in this world
>>
>>49065879
Trip, they don't pay you to shitpost on 4chan, go away.
>>
Jesus fuck that was an abomination of an article. What a pain in the ass to read, how the fuck does someone who formats like that actually get hired?
>>
>lmao goblins with rockets!
>lmao thopters!
>lmao rebellion
>lmao artificers!
Gonna skip this set, even without the pandering it's flavor just sounds awful and as generic as magic gets.
>>
>>49062484
I think Liliana just wants to kill him and rez him as a /fit/ zombie.
>>
>>49062234
>people born on entirely different universes that have traveled to how many other different crazy universes and exposed to infinite number of cultures and ideas instead grow up to talk like millennial teenage girls

Really makes you.....think....
>>
>No image of shirtless Gideon
??
>>
>>49063720
I seriously don't understand how he's appealing at all. Maybe it's because I still can't the image of who he was in the Purifying Fire out of my head.

He was literally just generic policeman armcandy.
>>
File: 3TLIfZB.png (412KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
3TLIfZB.png
412KB, 970x545px
I can barely read any Jacestice League faggotry

The entire idea of the Gatewatch is just fucking awful
>>
File: All right.jpg (122KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
All right.jpg
122KB, 728x546px
>>49067643
>tfw millennial teenage girl vocabulary is the only constant in the multiverse
>>
>>49065988
You know, if they had cut the 'misogynist filth' and 'red pill etc,' bubble for something less politically charged, like [inarticulate yelling] or [untranslatable Norse cursing] or whatever, and then finally capping it off with [Unsolicited opinions on Israel???] it may very well have been a funny, if ridiculously stupid, line.
>>
>>49064242
The way to properly write ancient dialogue is not by writing dialogue as if spoken by a contemporary college girl but peppered with with words that feel 'old timey'.
>>
Writing like this exactly why I buy exclusively chinese proxies for my expensive cards and try to limit my Magic purchasing in general. I will support gaming stores, but I can't in good faith support a company that puts out literal shit-tier writing like this:

>"Thanks," Chandra grinned, then wrapped one warm arm up around Liliana's bare shoulders and squeezed. "I'm so hungry I could eat an Eldrazi. Maybe even one of the gooey ones."

>Well, damn it. There went her good mood. She swiped a hand beneath one eye (just being sure, nothing would ever be there), then squared her shoulders and lifted her chin. To Grixis with him, then. Let's see where Chandra stormed off to. That could be fun.

>Gideon laid a meaty hand on Jace's shoulder. "She's not wrong. Think of the bigger picture, Jace. I can take this one. Although," he winced, "I'm not looking forward to it. You know how she gets when someone tells her what to do..."

Writing like this makes me feel embarrassed to be a Magic player. Where do they get these people? Do they give them a cliche handbook? Do the writers watch Degrassi for inspiration? Half the people on this board could make a better attempt at writing
>>
>>49068631
This is why Legacy of Kain is aural porn but Eragon makes your eyes bleed.
>>
>>49068631
Iunno, Lili strikes me as a woman that tries to "get with the times."
>>
>>49068779
>Writing like this makes me feel embarrassed to be a Magic player.

Dude, have you checked your overdraft lately?
>>
>>49068779
>Where do they get these people?
Tumblr, Twitter and Reddit.
The new curriculum from undergrad "jobs" is not your learning-institution's reputation and your performance therein. It's how many followers and likes you have among the company's target audience.
>>
>>49062752
>>49062829

You must be orange from all that Cheetos dust
>>
>>49062792

>not liking White villain Elesh Norn
>>
>>49063267
He was essentially the second in command to Yawgmoth plus a powerful artificer in his own right. Would be a cool villain to have
>>
>>49069186
I don't know the old storyline, on a scale of 1 to 10 how dead is he?
>>
>>49069202
Sean Bean.
>>
>>49068779
Stop acting like you know anything about the crap Wizards has published. You can't even begin to comprehend how much worse it gets.
>>
>>49069202
He got thrown into a temporal shift so it's possible he came out of the other side in another time or plane
>>
WAIT, THERE are MONKEYS ON KALADASH.
>>
File: 1353121552581.jpg (18KB, 438x428px) Image search: [Google]
1353121552581.jpg
18KB, 438x428px
>kaladesh apparently has lots of indian inspiration

so do they poo in the loo or no?
>>
>>49069290

what's the loo? is that britbong
>>
>>49069290
This joke stopped being funny about 2 months ago.
>>
>>49069290
Question, why are we only fascinated by the bathroom behavior of this one particular plane...?
We have a whole Multiverse of toilets to think about
>>
>>49062654
I highly doubt Wizards would leave "destroyed/imprisoned" highly marketable assets like the Eldrazi as "just that".
>>
>>49069230

I read the books from Masques through Dissension as a kid and in high school. It was often bad, but never this consistently bad, and there were some very good plot lines and characters. I don't mind when second-rate fantasy authors descend into trope, as often happened in the old books. I DO care when trash "writers" don't understand the genre they are in and write fantasy as if it was a junior high soap opera. I know it has been particularly bad, but this is really, really bad.

I almost, almost don't want to blame WotC. They see how popular the Avengers movies have been. "Quipping, badass, action heroes! Each has their own schtick! Girl power and meatheads! And look, they're just like us!" They want to replicate the success for more money, and after all they are a company. But nobody can read this and honestly say that it was worth the time. It's atrocious. Who is this for? For people who read the lore? It's boring, childish, and insulting. For people who might get into the game? The characters are all the same minus their assigned cliches, nothing about the world seems interesting, and it reads like amateur fan fiction.

Like I said, it's just downright embarrassing. You can convince skeptical onlookers after some time that Magic is fun, interesting, and exciting. But if a non-Magic player read this and asked me, "Dude, what the fuck?" I honestly don't know what to tell them.
>>
>>49063260
The basic lands are going to be so good looking.
>>
File: AVGN.jpg (11KB, 318x325px) Image search: [Google]
AVGN.jpg
11KB, 318x325px
>>49068779
it's true, I could write better than that
>>
>former bioware writer gets his first big article, immediately puts sexual tension everywhere
BEEFSLABBED
>>
>>49060076
Anyone know if this is going to be a top down or bottom up set? The lore looks good. But I dont know how well it will translate into cards and mechanics.
>>
>>49063685
Honestly I want a new white walker. The only one I liked is trapped in the underworld and is likely WB as FUCK now and thats if we ever see her again.
>>
>>49068779
You do realize authors and R&D are two completely different entities, right? Haha just don't read the articles nigga like just play the game haha
>>
>>49069403

You'd tell them that the story doesn't matter and 90% of players don't even know it exists. You move on and just play the game, like almost everybody else who doesn't get needlessly asspained over nothing.
>>
>>49063895
Where is the "I dont like the gatewatch at all" option?
>>
>>49069525

>implying that Gids wasn't co-designed by a Romance Writer at point zero.
>>
>>49069290
Do Jeskai SHART in MART?
>>
I feel like this article is the product of a board room meeting in which everyone agreed the characters needed to be more relatable and marketable, but no one having any idea how to accomplish that other than "quips and maybe some sexual tension and lesbian vibes".
>>
>>49069571
I feel you bro.
>>
>>49060076

They are trying way too hard to write everyone in a unique and different voice. I got some flashbacks to freeform forum RPing.
>>
>>49069571
She's a WB as Serra is dude she's not putting on the mask.
>>
>>49069582
THANK you. I'm glad someone else seems to remember that.
>>
>>49064814
> It's like if the characters were fucking middle schoolers.
I think that's the point, anon.
>>
>>49069650
Until we get more information we really dont know what will happen. Shes a very loyal character with long outstanding promises and vows all over the multiverse. The only way out is to put on the mask then connect with your lost memories and become whole again.

She may just take that risk. She may not. Some ex machina may save her it may not. Its a crises of character situation for her.
>>
>>49069018
> he disagrees with my opinion!
> he must be a cheeto inhaling neckbeard misogynist
Not that guy, but really? Do you ever get tired of playing the victim of misogyny or hate groups because someone gave criticism you didn't agree with?

It gets pathetic.
>>
>>49069735
Or we use the fact Dack has been trying to break her out of the underworld since the end of the comic. He goes in trying to be the great hero and she's the one who busts him out of the underworld.
>>
>>49063685
whose kytheon? and why did you post a picture of Beefslab?
>>
>>49069018
>literally proving their point

Bad, bad goy!
>>
>>49069886
Beefslab is Kytheon. That''s Gideon Jura, an older character from a few years back. I think they retconned him out or something, he was pretty cool. Kind of a wet-blanket planeswalker.
>>
>>49069580
The lore bleeds into the actual game tho
>>
>there are elves but no gobbos on Kaladesh
>>
>>49069403
for the record, there is every reason to believe the story team is aware that the comic book storyline isn't being well received. Rembmer that sets are planned years in advance; there could already be plans in the works to get rid of the gateswatch.
>>
File: wast gud nyukka.png (523KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
wast gud nyukka.png
523KB, 960x720px
>>49070088
>there are elves on Kaladesh
WAIT REALLY?
>>
>>49063860
Because reddit loves it.

>>49065478
There are two Goblins in the entire multiverse that can be considered people: Slobad and Daretti. All other Goblins are subhuman apes.

>>49070262
Check the website. It says that there are elves that built some sort of biodome or some shit.
>>
>>49070088
it's OK, we will get dwarves again
>>
>>49070284
Honestly I've been wanting some urban elf flavour for ages. Time to go G_ for Kaladesh.
>>
>>49070284
What about the highly intelligent and civilized (if scheming and cowardly) goblins of Mercadia?
>>
>>49070334
Ravnica has plenty of urban elves.

>>49070285
Please.

>>49070343
Are Jews people?
>>
>>49070359
I didn't get to play when Ravnica was hot the second time around, and I was too young to git gud the first time.
>>
>>49070359
>Are Jews people?
Empires have risen and fallen trying to tell us the truth but they keep on kiking because manipulable youngsters eat their lies and buy their debt.
>>
>>49070359
Okay, look, define "people" for me here because I'm not sure what standards we're using.
>>
>>49070428
Honestly Jews are very well evolved parasitic companions to the other humans.

>>49070442
At least human level of empathy and intelligence.
>>
I don't get it. Why do people on 4chan hate Jews so much? Is it a meme now?
>>
>>49070460
>human
>empathy
Browsing these boards have made me slowly wonder if these two terms can rightfully belong in the same sentence.
>>
>>49070442
>Doesn't value money more than human lives
>Doesn't follow a dogma that states they are a different species
Militant Islam and Old Testament Christianity decry nonbelievers as enemies but only Jews believe non-Jews aren't real humans and therefore desserve to be enslaved.
>>
>>49069931
Flavor text is one of my favorite things in Magic. The marrying of lore and mechanics is the part of Magic I love the most.
ex: EMN Emrakul's Mindslaver effect: "They're all my pieces, Jace." and her going bananas on the moon was actually what she wanted.
>>
>>49070495
It's not that we have no empathy. It's that a lot of us believe that nobody here deserves any sympathy.
>>
>>49070495
Judging based on what 4chan has done IRL vs what Tumblr and Twitter have done IRL, we're actually passive assholes and active good people, while the others are passive pretentious sanctimonious shits and active life ruiners.
None of our raids ended in suicide, unemployment or dead pets.
>>
File: 48642088.jpg (188KB, 1000x1102px) Image search: [Google]
48642088.jpg
188KB, 1000x1102px
Were people actually expecting medieval, olde englishe speaking and chivalry and shit from MTG? The origins 5 have been acting like kids for a while now.

I thought it was a nice change of pace - no big problems to solve, just a nice relaxing episode with plenty of digs at Jace's appearance and Gideon's clapping. The writing wasn't great but they weren't pushing the trans/furry/autist agenda today. You can put the pitchforks down for at least one more week.
>>
>>49060076
>tfw chandra is mentally 12
>tfw beefslab mcsideburns
>tfw room full of cloaks

So Magic: The Gatewatch is half justice league, half FRIENDS.
>>
>>49070681
>we're actually passive assholes and active good people
Nail on the head. The people who are actual assholes should fuck off elsewhere.
>>
>>49065365
Yeah, but the fun part is that everyone kind of low level hates them for it and their super edge attitudes ruin everything for them.

They aren't supposed to be likable, just fun.

It's just an excuse to make a bunch of in jokes and occasionally pander specifically to grrrrl power instead of general nerds. So I get that you aren't its target demographic and that it relies on niche appeal. But that doesn't mean it's bad.

The erratic art quality, the overcomplicated pacing with too many world dooming events right off the bat, the rather lackluster development of secondary characters giving it an overall rushed feeling? I feel those are better criticisms.

Tell me, do you like tank girl?
>>
>>49070852
People weren't expecting contemporary slang. The writing was also fucking bad, like holy shit.
>>
>>49070852
You're acting as though only two extremes exist.

We were expecting them to talk like normal people, not like archaic olde english fogeys or like latte-guzzling Californian bimbos.
>>
>>49070991
I knew an OG chantard girl back in highschool that would use nigger as an actual insult while cackling like a madwoman. She did indeed fuck off elsewhere.
>>
>>49070938
>Gideon: Hey Chandra, how you doin?
>>
>>49071417
>Chandra: Hey Gideon, Whats cooken sugar?
>>
>>49064806
So, Tamiyo?
>>
I was wondering what happened to the writers of FRIENDS. Looks like WoTC picked them up.
>>
>>49071043
That would even be acceptable so long as both were used to give individuals characters.

I would love a Southern belle Chandra, a Spanish Liliana, a standard American Jace and a Polish Gideon.
>>
File: tmp_25965-Imoen2-1727011557.jpg (13KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25965-Imoen2-1727011557.jpg
13KB, 210x330px
>>49071453
> Hey Gideon, it's me Chandra!
>>
>>49071646
>>49070938
SEE!
>>
Why does everyone keep saying Liliana will be in Kaladesh? I don't remember anything like that from the story.

That said we are missing a heavy black walker for the block.
>>
>>49071769
What if Tibalt
>>
>>49071769
Last two blocks have had a solid black walker. This one will have multiple hybrid blacks as well as a solid green, red, and white (that new walker will be UW, maybe RU).
>>
>>49071769
>Lili and Chandra go out shopping
>Both end up planeswalking
>Next set is Kaladesh
I mean, she could be there, but I doubt she's getting a card.
>>
>>49071769

Because she and Chandra were reported to planeswalk there.

In the story today.
>>
>>49071782
I can genuinely get behind black/red Tibalt. No reason they can't make him mechanically good second time around, and while he's a sad little shit, there's nothing wrong with that as a character.
>>
>>49064280
>they all enjoy it
>even Jace

Gotta admit, finding out that he has an entire room full of cloaks was pretty funny.
>>
>>49068848

Legacy of Kain is fucking brilliant.
>>
File: Butthurt.gif (1MB, 250x170px) Image search: [Google]
Butthurt.gif
1MB, 250x170px
>>49062796
>>
>>49071799
Saheeli was revealed to be UR in Puzzle Quest. Dovin Baan is UW assuming he has a card which he does as he is the antagonist.
>>
>>49072045
>U/W Bureaucrat is the antagonist
I'm sold.
>>
File: 1452859006661.jpg (159KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1452859006661.jpg
159KB, 1500x1500px
>>49069018
Do you get all your comebacks from 2012?
>>
File: 1429929437026.jpg (68KB, 530x407px) Image search: [Google]
1429929437026.jpg
68KB, 530x407px
>>49065795
>>
File: ar26Eq3.jpg (284KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
ar26Eq3.jpg
284KB, 1200x675px
>>49072130
The lands also look really good except that shitty tree one.
>>
>>49072045
>the character that wants order and security and to oppress the shit out of psychotic vandals who deserved to die at their fucking trial not get a snowflake magic spark is the antagonist
yawn
>>
>>49072165
Not the same guy, but explain why he's wrong.

unless you're just fishing for (you)s,
>>
>>49062217
>Everyone is just a bit too flippant and modern-casual for my tastes.
It's the marvel movie problem.
"Who's the devil may care flippant trendy quipster?"

>The hot headed pyromancer?
>The necromancer with legions of dead in her brain?
>The telepath with a cities worth of responsibilities?
>The greek beefcake?
>Nature hippie elf hitler?
>The ex child soldier?
>the scientist that gets angry?
>Corperate tool?
>Guy from 1945?
>Arrow shooty guy?
>Tiny Man?

The answer really shouldn't be... "all of the above.
>>
>>49072203
Magic lore was never particularly strong to begin with, and The fact that Kaya is a nigger or Alesha is a tranny had zero impact on the mechanical design of their cards.
>>
>>49072196
Antagonist only in the sense that he opposes Chandra, the protagonist.

Antagonist does not mean bad evil guy on its own, even though Wizards will likely make this guy evil somehow just to justify Curryandra trying to destroy a government.
>>
File: 1418368099924.jpg (21KB, 286x225px) Image search: [Google]
1418368099924.jpg
21KB, 286x225px
>>49065856
>>49065904
>>49065918
>>49069770
>>49069898
>>49070681
>>
>>49072230
He called her dead mommy and daddy criminals who deserved to die.

In the mind of a 12 year old, which based on the writing Chandra is still mentally 12, that is enough.
>>
>>49072045
>>49072130
I really hope he isn't uw on grounds that that'd be too predictable, but truth is, he IS uw.
>>
>>49070284
>Hatin' on my nigga Squee.
kys.
>>
>>49071664
>Polish Gideon
Oi kurwa Jace wy are all the peoples rising from the clay I tel you that baba is up to no goods pls no stick your kebab in her tandoor
>>
>>49063860
Because I read above a 6th grade level.
>>
>>49072230
>Wizards will likely make this guy evil somehow just to justify Curryandra trying to destroy a government
I didn't really think that needed to be said. I'm familiar with the nuance between "Antagonist" and "Villain"
>>
>>49072338
I am not entirely sure how else to take
>>49072196
>>
>>49072384
Chandra is an evil psychopath and anyone opposing her is good. That's really it.
>>
>>49072389
Chandra is mentally 12. She's not evil, she retarded and impulsive.
>>
File: Consulate Favoritism.jpg (25KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
Consulate Favoritism.jpg
25KB, 500x374px
So if Chandra is Spongebob and Dovin is Squidward then who's Patrick? Nissa?
>>
File: 1452587892015.gif (470KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1452587892015.gif
470KB, 200x200px
>This writing

Jesus Christ it's like a child wrote this
>>
>>49072483
Beefslab.
>>
File: 1363925127502.gif (970KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1363925127502.gif
970KB, 500x375px
>>49062658
The Black Consultant makes no sense, because in a fantasy setting being black doesn't make you any different than white (minus the skin color). Because in those worlds the geographical distance, social stigmas, and historical events never even came close to what we have on Earth. Ravinca makes sense since it's a giant planet so like Earth there are parts where due to climate you are going to different races. But in a world like Innistrad, it's too small to have a difference in climate, blacks and Asians exist in that world because magic you don't have to explain shit. But the point still stands if you have different color races on a plain unless their was a major historical event or social stigma then a white person and a black person on Innistrad should act the same. But when you are trying to make all these inter dementional wizards act like tumblr rites from earth, you just show you are only trying to pander to a fucking tiny majority of potential players.
>>
>>49063895
I like where Lilliana is going. Legit, I think they're doing a decent job.

Chandra is a generic shonen hero right now, but can be developed with some TLC.

Having read a fair amount of Nissa, I am still unsure if she exactly has a personality. Definite weak link.

Gideon has pretty good defining traits at least. Kinda boring.

Jace is slightly obnoxious but enters acceptable territory when put in a room with Lilliana.
>>
>>49062234
Jesus Christ it's real...

Sorin was clearly the last guardian of respectability in MtG writing. Now that he's out of the way the dogs of sorryiblewupyourthingy have been set loose.
>>
Liliana really isn't trying to be a teenager. She's trying to be a cool Mom, "Mean Girls" style. Really if everyone here watched good trashy girl coms they'd understand so much.
>>
>>49065734
A plane based on india is threatening to you?
You realize the very first theme set was based around brown people adventures.
>>
>>49067789
Planeswalkers teaming up to confront interplanar threats
What a new and terrifying concept
>>
>>49071807
I hope Tibalt is on Kaladesh, like getting new mechanical body parts for the ones Sorin ripped off and beat him with....
Robo-Tibalt.
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.