[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the general aesthetic of wizards based off of? Are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (33KB, 240x336px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 240x336px
what is the general aesthetic of wizards based off of? Are they European in origin?
>>
Gandalf, who is based on Odin.
>>
>>49016291
Wizard comes from the old English Wiseard, which means "Wiseman", as in that one bearded coot living at the edge of the village who knows every kind of herb or shroom that grows around the place and occasionally answers life questions younger folk bring to him
>>
File: Tesla_circa_1890.jpg (474KB, 940x1260px) Image search: [Google]
Tesla_circa_1890.jpg
474KB, 940x1260px
>>49016291
"Pussy? No, thank you, I have thousands of volts through my cock for that."
>>
>>>49016291 Are they European in origin?
Tolkien took (loose) inspiration from some of European folklore and mythology.

c >>49016372
Specifically, Gandalf is based on Odin's "Wanderer" personas.
Odin had a habit of disguising himself as a traveler, then lending tools and advice to would-be heroes.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_of_Odin
>>
File: circle.jpg (9KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
circle.jpg
9KB, 251x201px
Another source of inspiration for them comes from middle ages and renaissance alchemy and grimioric magic. Things like goofy symbols on robes, summoning spirits, magic circles and talismans. As well, a lot of the clothing is based on renaissance and middle ages clothing such as the pointed hat coming in lots of varieties of actual hat types people wore back then.
>>
File: 1377367256601.jpg (76KB, 831x445px) Image search: [Google]
1377367256601.jpg
76KB, 831x445px
>>49016291
What setting are we even talking about, you stupid cunt?
>>
>>49017608
>implying there aren't 300 games with the wizardly archetype
Your meme is bad and you should feel bad.
>>
>>49017631
>Implying all games, 300 or 3000, use exactly the same archetype that doesn't differ at all
Your idiocy is bad and you should feel bad
>>
>>49017568
>a lot of the clothing is based on renaissance and middle ages clothing
>such as the pointed hat coming in lots of varieties of actual hat types people wore back then
Nah. Pointed hats come from Odin's wide-brim hat.

Though, you're write about the goofy patterned clothing being loosely based on hermeticism.

>>49017608
You understand what OP is asking.
>>
>>49016291
>what is the general aesthetic of wizards based off of?

Odin.
>>
File: witchhat5.jpg (163KB, 640x316px) Image search: [Google]
witchhat5.jpg
163KB, 640x316px
>>49017652
>Pointed hats come from Odin's wide-brim hat.
No, they come from Byzantine depictions of the Persian Magi. Later it was codified by Duns Scotus, which in turn led to it becoming the dunce cap.
>>
File: mssalesbury.jpg (29KB, 512x489px) Image search: [Google]
mssalesbury.jpg
29KB, 512x489px
>>49017652
I beg to differ on odin being the one and sole archetype that influenced the wizard aesthetic.
Hell, bell sleeves on wizard robes come from archaic priest clothing.
>>
File: hermes.jpg (77KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
hermes.jpg
77KB, 500x398px
Hermes Trismegistus through the hermetic doctrine of alchemy, astrology, and thaumaturgy he inspired in 200 AD.
>>
It's probably a clusterfuck of references going through multiple areas.

Post mote histrionic hats, guys.
>>
Probably monks and priests
>>
Maybe it is more than one thing, friends
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.