[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> playing D&D > player gets held at crossbowpoint by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 457
Thread images: 28

File: Basic Game Cover - Small.jpg (315KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Basic Game Cover - Small.jpg
315KB, 850x1100px
> playing D&D
> player gets held at crossbowpoint by guards
> "lol I have 75 hit points"
> character falls off of a cliff
> character gets his head run over by a cart

Please explain how this game is "good". No one and nothing can die dramatically; they can only die by having their hit points whittled down in combat using pre-approved maneuvers and methods. And whenever you try to go outside these rules, D&D players sperg the fuck out, because if they aren't killed by dragonbreath that deals 10d10 damage, then YOU are the shitty GM for daring to go outside the rules of the game.
>>
>>49013941
>run high level
>bitches characters are superhuman

If that bothers you, run first to third level games.
>>
Hit points are explicitly an abstraction representing your ability to avoid serious harm through luck, stamina or minor magic. This has been spelled out in every DMG I've ever read, and any GM or player who doesn't know it is an idiot.

HP damage is used when there's a chance you might survive. Being shot in the head at point blank range or falling an incredible distance are likely to be fatal.

Then again, these are heroic characters we're talking about. They might survive a fall of a cliff, or being run over by a cart. Getting shot in the head is kind of a sticking point, though.
>>
Please just ignore this butthurt troll.

Please, please just ignore him, /tg/. Do it for me.
>>
File: 1423607733896.gif (680KB, 564x300px) Image search: [Google]
1423607733896.gif
680KB, 564x300px
>>49013941
One thing that you need to drill into a player's head, there are always people who came before you who are stronger than you.

One way I've implemented this in my games is that there are roving groups of the Holy High Church who go on pilgrimages to defend the many people of the land scouring it for ne'er do wells. The group(s) consisted of a few paladins, a cleric, an Inquisitor, and a witch of holy power (This took place in pathfinder). So if the party started to get into evil shit the church with the help from local governments would be after them.

You need to reinforce the thought to them that there is always someone stronger than them, this however does not mean to make a DMPC nor is it gunboat diplomacy.
>>49013996
Sorry comrade, it is too late....
>>
>>49013941
> playing D&D
> lol I have Bolts of Slaying

Fixed.
>>
D&D is about fantasy superheroes. That's just its "thing". It isn't Mongoose's Legend, it isn't WFRP, and it most certainly isn't Runequest. If you were looking for ordinary heroes, then D&D is not the place to go, and that's not a strike against it. You don't use a pickaxe to brush teeth.
>>
>>49014279
>look mom, i'm trolling again!

Low level D&D was already mentioned. So, stop with your "D&D can't do something everyone knows it can already do" bullshit.
>>
File: 1444180326203.png (11KB, 190x198px) Image search: [Google]
1444180326203.png
11KB, 190x198px
>>49013941
You may want to consider looking into massive damage rules. There's a number of variations, but it's usually when they take either half their hp or 50+ damage (whichever you prefer) they make a fort save or just die. This usually helps with things like the falling off a cliff or getting run over example, while the guard one is usually rectified by similar coup de grace rules. Strictly speaking they took the coup de grace out of 5e, and for good reason, but feel free to add at least a low DC fort save to crits on a helpless target. Not sure why you can't spend a round slitting a guy's throat, but who am I to question the infinite wisdom of WotC?

Point is HP is designed to be a measure of the amazing things your fantasy heroes can do. If you feel a certain challenge or obstacle should not be able to be bested solely by their hardy obstinance instead tie it to a save vs debuff or, in more drastic cases even death. Fighting toe to toe with an ogre makes sense and is a good adventure, but when it comes to complete refusal to remove one's head from beneath a cart or a complete disregard for gravity perhaps some punishment needs to be divvied out. Remember that the rules are only a guideline after all, feel free to adjust the game slightly if the rules are making the world less realistic as opposed to more.
>>
>>49013941
Check out gurps op. Might be what you're looking for.
>>
In my campaign if we displayed such arrogance towards our DM we would be in for a poverbial bitch slapping.
I play a life cleric in full plate and after I take a good hit or two my ass get scared.
Held at crossbow point would mean you are going to start rolling death saving throws if your an asshole.
>>
>>49014279
>playing RQ6
>held at crossbow point
>Evade, outmaneuver, run away
>Use mysticism to climb building to safety
>Luck point attack rolls away
"High level" RuneQuest is when your primary skills are inching closer to 150% and your a living legend. That shit gets ridiculous fast.

Just don't fall a few stories, fight a dragon, or get caught in a trap which are death blows you walk away from in D&D.

>>49014332
Coup de Grace is out because you can just die - get your throat cut and die, get hung and die, touch lava and die, rocks fall and die, etc. But yeah, I use massive damage and lingering injuries all day erry day.

Like in the Chris Perkins Curse of Strahd stream when he no save killed a player. It actually happens (again) this edition when you are against a wall.
>>
>>49013941
Because nerds will always confuse the rules of the game for the game itself.
>>
>>49013941
>No one and nothing can die dramatically

I think you mean that it's hard for a character to die SUDDENLY. Dramatic death is more than possible, but sudden death is very difficult to pull off. That's not a bug, that's a feature: D&D posits that it is not fun for characters to die before they have a chance to do anything to defend themselves; or from "boring" or "mundane" ways like falling or getting hit by a cart (or rather, *just* that. Falling off a cliff and dying after an extended battle is just fine - see what I said about the difference between "dramatic" and "sudden").
>>
File: 1445206598998.png (33KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
1445206598998.png
33KB, 800x500px
Honestly I just want to know what people find so appealing about Dungeons and Dragons over GURPS, Runequest, WHFBRPG, 40k RPG's, Degenesis, etc.
>>
>>49015165
DnD actually gets played
>>
>>49015165
1) Accessibility. D&D is easy to find, both content and players.

2) Fantasy Heartbreakers. Every single fantasy RPG on the market - and quite a few non-fantasy RPGs - are defined against D&D and, their strengths and weaknesses expressed in terms of comparison to D&D. Quite a few of them miss no opportunity to even take potshots at D&D (V:tM springs immediately to mind). So one then wonders...why not just play D&D, the thing that everyone is compared to?

3) It's good enough. Related to (2), D&D might not be the best at everything - or even necessarily the best at anything - but it's broadly good enough in every area to make up for its faults, and it's definitely not BAD at anything.

4) Brand loyalty. It's the same reason I drink Coke, not Pepsi.
>>
>>49013941
Falling off a cliff and getting run over will still hurt like fuck.
and with the crossbow, it's not the bolt that kills you but the fight after you tank the bolt.
>>
>>49015313
5) It's better than nearly everything else on the market, because nearly everything else on the market is garbage like GURPS, Runequest, WHFBRPG, 40k RPG's, Degenesis, etc.
>>
>>49015313
But the system seems to be irrevocably tainted with horrible mechanics and just a bad culture in general. IMO it's better to sweep the whole slate clean, start the group with something nobody has any experience with and everybody has to learn while playing. GURPS is good for this (especially homebrews), its only flaw is that it runs into terrible crunch with the cheat sheets being books themselves. My main problem with D&D though is that it always seems to run into the problem of rollplaying versus roleplaying. Players get too wrapped up in what is 'optimized' or not, and while not nearly as bad as the 'lul kill everybody for XP' memes, it still isn't that good and is mostly combat orientated. I've tried running games with it, but I find that I have to houserule it so damn much it practically becomes another system altogether. Better to choose a really complex system with lots of choices like GURPs, or a simple system that I have to tack more onto.
>>
>>49015313
>>49015313
>4) Brand loyalty. It's the same reason I drink Coke, not Pepsi.

What's it like being a drooling stooge?
>>
File: 1445206450049.jpg (22KB, 651x575px) Image search: [Google]
1445206450049.jpg
22KB, 651x575px
>>49015356
>>
>>49015633
This image actually made me laugh out loud.
>>
>>49015479
>But the system seems to be irrevocably tainted with horrible mechanics

What's horrible about rolling a d20 and adding a modifier to it?

>and just a bad culture in general.

D&D is far too broad to refer to it as a single culture of gamers, except if you broadly include "high fantasy gamers", but that definition is broad enough to include stuff like FantasyCraft, Dungeon World, and so on.

>GURPS is good for this

GURPS is okay for anything but good for nothing. It succeeds at its goal of being generic, but attaining that very goal has come with the cost of it failing to stand out in any way. A few people probably really enjoy it, making the general statement of "GURPS is no one's favorite RPG" is true enough to not be called out.

>rollplaying versus roleplaying

False dichotomy; your ability to optimize your character has nothing to do with your ability to roleplay him or her well.

>>49015516
Constant, dependable, tasty, and easy to find.
>>
>>49016053
I just realized I used "broad" three times in a single sentence. Mea culpa, I'm tired.
>>
>>49013941
>the guard grapples you
>you fail the save
>you forgot to put on your armor so your AC is piss poor
>you get shackled and detained

Ez pz
>>
>>49013993
The 5e DMG literally lists the HP damage you take for being submerged in lava. What about that has to do with luck or stamina?
>>
>>49017867
5E is garbage, what'd you expect? I don't even understand why 4E and 5E are even called as such. They're so mechanically removed from all previous versions of the game.
>>
>>49016053
GURPS legitimately excels at some types of games. It remains one of the best options for modern tactical shooting and many kinds of historical games. It's also got some excellent magical systems, especially for dungeon crawling. The idea that because GURPS is a generic system, that it cannot stand out at anything is ludicrous. The quality of mechanics do not rely on theme or flavor. The way that GURPS actually works makes the whole idea even more silly, as GURPS is not one set of rules that can do literally everything. It is a set of rules that can have large segments of the rules completely removed and replaced with an entirely different system tailored to the kind of game that you want. Often, these systems are just as setting or flavor dependent as the rules for systems made for those settings or flavors. GURPS when used to run a dungeon crawl is a very, very different game from GURPS used to run a modern tactical RPG. They will feel very different and not the same sort of generic system.

This ultimately has little to do with the quality of D&D, or this thread as a whole. I'm just sick and tired of GURPS being dismissed out of hand because people have gotten a warped idea of how it works and plays. If the build your own RPG thing isn't your jam, that's one thing. Misrepresentation of how it plays is another.
>>
>>49017961
>I'm just sick and tired of GURPS being dismissed out of hand because people have gotten a warped idea of how it works and plays

Perhaps the same could be said of all systems talked about on /tg/.
>>
>>49017974
I'm convinced that nobody has actually played any game, and just barely remembers a negative review they read about whatever they're talking about which forms the foundation of their entire opinion. Literally every game, from D&D to GURPS to obscure indie RPG's from a decade ago which were printed in batches of fifty and distributed exclusively in the greater Boise area has the same sort of distortion going on and someone to loudly state their opinion.
>>
>>49018016
Also, fuck you autocorrect for inserting an apostrophe after every possessive s in my writing. You probably have some shit opinions too.
>>
>>49013979
terrible, terrible suggestion.
even if we allow levels 1 to 6... how much mastery in skills can my characters achieve? how many feats can they learn? how many other cool but not overpowered class abilities are locked to them because of this premise?

no, no. your advice amounts to bad shoehorning. can it be done? yes. will it please many people? no.
>>
>>49013993
We know what it says. It's just a shitty rationale for having a simple, unified mechanic, instead of having seperate stats for luck and meat points.

>Being shot in the head at point blank range or falling an incredible distance are likely to be fatal.
Ah, yeah? Why doesn't my luck bail me out here, hmmm?
>>
>>49018122
There's E6, which caps stuff like HP, but still let's you gain feats and the like so that while you do continue to advance, you remain somewhere in the same tier of humanity.
>>
>>49014302
i suggest you start studying games in which the character advancement is focussed on taking pcs from humble beginnings to hero-but-not-superhero status, to understand the deficiencies of a D&D campaign limited to low levels
>>
>>49018158
I suggest you take your head out of your ass.
>>
>>49017931
>5e is mechanically removed from the previous versions

Confirmed for only playing 3.0/5/p
>>

Are people really that unconcerned about unneeded damage getting yo them?

Sure, an attack might take 10% of your health and you will.be fine, by being at low HP can randomly get you randomly dead.
>>
>>49014332
>>49014433
But these posts contain an implicit admission that hit points are a bad mechanic that mix completely seperate things: divine favor and toughess. If the D&D system had 2 different stats... say 15 points toughness and 60 points divine luck, it would be very easy for the GM:

Crossbow to your head? Sorry, luck can't help you here, the damage goes straight to toughness points. Oops, you're dead now.

D&D's HP bloat is just a shitty mechanic. Same reason why AC is bad (mixing ability to not get hit with ability to shrug off hits).

D&D is and remains a very mediocre system with legacy mechanics, despite of what its fans claim.
>>
>>49018171

... Given how much 5e inherits from 3.x's understanding of the game, I think you hit it on the head. Knowing more about other games males it easier to see the similarity between D&D additions.

(Despite being 4e loyalist, I can know the implementation of the AC goes up to get get better, as well as a decent narrative round time... which may or may not be in older version of D&D.)
>>
>>49018210

Why is it bad to mix the two?

Having one die roll to determine hit and another to determine damage makes easier to make sure that every hit is meaningful.
>>
>>49014933
Published RPGs are System + Setting. And in some cases just either of those. When we're saying that a game we bought is bad, then we're referring to System/Setting.

>>49015110
Avoiding sudden death is a Gamemastering issue, not a System Design issue.

>>49015165
The brand and the resulting large player base. It's like being a fan of the New York Yankees.
>>
>>49014084
>One thing that you need to drill into a player's head, there are always people who came before you who are stronger than you.
Why aren't they saving the world and going on adventures?
>>
File: 1462159316465.jpg (107KB, 900x820px) Image search: [Google]
1462159316465.jpg
107KB, 900x820px
If a player is bound and weakened to the point that they could simply have a crossbow held to their temple, surely they weren't at full HP.
They had to have been somehow incapacitated before that point, taking minor injury, exhaustion, and plot armor damage, and thus being reduced to "low enough exp" that the crossbow could finish them.
>>
>>49017961
>GURPS legitimately excels at some types of games. It remains one of the best options for modern tactical shooting and many kinds of historical games. It's also got some excellent magical systems, especially for dungeon crawling.

I am honestly NOT a GURPS fan but it does excel at a modern hacking (see GURPS Cyberpunk) subsystem as well. So, yeah, GURPS has its place.
>>
>>49018242
>Avoiding sudden death is a Gamemastering issue, not a System Design issue.>>49015165 #

The game should have tools to support this.

Generous knocked out but not dead yet rules.
>>
>>49018267
Jesus, this shoehorning to defend a bad mechanic makes me cringe.

Why can't you just admit that D&D is neither realistic nor in conformance with 98% of heroic tales out there in this regard and just move on?

D&D hit points are a very inaccurate reflection of mythical heroes, much less real life people of legends.

Just admit that and that other systems provide a more accurate reflection and we're good.
>>
>>49018282
Let's take 40K Roleplay as an example. (And let us ignore that it isn't entirely realistic either because a starting PC does survive a bullet to the head. I admit that but that is beside my point.)

If your character takes a fatal wound to the head, you can burn a Fate Point (of which you have 1 to 5), to get "knocked out but not dead yet". Your wound points are at 0, you have received critical damage points but you're still alive, albeit knocked out.

This seperation of toughness and luck gives a GM far better control over play than D&D's hitpoints. Not only that, the players themselves have better feedback on whether their characters are so survivable because of their toughness (20 Wound Points, 1 Fate Point) or their extraordinary luck (8 Wound Points, 5 Fate Points). It gives the PCs (and NPCs) better definition.
>>
>>49018122
Cap hitdie at 10, all other levels grant no benefit to HP
>>
>>49018227
I'd rather attack rolls worked like initiative, so it's not IF you hit, it's WHEN you hit
>>
>>49018292
Honestly, it's for dramatic purpose. Or you end with situations where characters can survive a point blank crossbow bolt to the head just because they have enough HP to get away with it. You either lean on narrative or simulation side.
>>
>>49013941
A fighter with 16 con would need to be around level 7 to have 75 hit points. Level 7 surpasses anything humans can do and is essentially a superhuman level which in this context means it makes perfect sense one crossbow bolt or one bad fall wouldn't kill you, because your character at this level is the equivalent to Hercules or Conan.

There's a great article called 'Calibrating your Expectations' on The Alexandrian which goes into detail with this and shows how examples like the crossbow fail to take into account that the game is designed for 1-5 to be the human levels with 5 being the maximum any human has ever achieved, with characters like Aragorn and Boromir being level 5. Note at these early levels especially a harsh fall or a crossbow is deadly, players tend to just skip past these levels fast because they're 'boring' and then complain when the game doesn't make sense as somehow they should be high level but low level threats should still be deadly?

Beyond that you're into super heroic levels and beyond that you're essentially demigod then god like. Hence why you can fight dragons which no normal person could.
>>
>>49013993
>this meme again
Reminder that meat points are the most logical and consistent interpretation of the rules. See >>49017867
and the like. (falling, poison blades, lava, etc.) Anything else is pure headcanon. You have to bend over backwards to explain things away when the luck and stamina argument gets repeatedly BTFO.
>>
>>49018332

The problem with burning a fate point is that it literally makes your character worse to do so.

A lucky character will be a burned out husk of a man after a few unlucky events.

Also, NPC will never burn fate points, because the cases in which it could matter (NPCs regains control of the area) it doesn't matter (party is wiped)
>>
>>49018348
That's pretty much what ye olde AD&D did. Stop getting HD at level 9, beyond that you just get a flat bonus (usually +2/level)
>>
>>49018355

Please, tell me a system in which that is done.

... And isn't just INT tests with guanteed damage.
>>
>>49018374

And recognize that the simulation of HP assumes that all characters are in a condition to fight, and that coup de grace moves suggest that you should just throw out hp when a character is completely in control of a situation.
>>
>>49018430
ORE.
>>
>>49013941
This got me thinking of how a DM can get around these.
>They are backed up by more guards with man-catchers. Start making STR checks

>You also broke several bones. Disadvantage/fixed numerical penalty/can't use some limbs until they've healed

>You also have a fractured skull and a concussion. Disadvantage/fixed numerical penalty until you've recovered

No rocket surgery or brain science.
>>
okay, let's /thread/ this

The DnD critics have one this thread, see you next friday for a rematch.
>>
>>49018447

Can you give me more detail than a common acronym?
>>
>>49018448
The rules very clearly lay out that the penalty for falling is just damage. You can add houserules all you want but that doesn't make the system not shit.
>>
>>49018448

Honestly, stapling riders on to more events is a way to fix the issue, while not having the (you gotta go to zero hp) event
>>
>>49018459
One Roll Engine. The thing that runs Godlike & Wild Talents.

You roll your pool and look for matches. Height (number on the die) controls hit location, Width (number of dice in the match) controls damage, the two of them together control initiative (resolve widest to narrowest, with height breaking ties).
>>
>>49018420
This is a matter of implementation. My point was that a separation of luck and toughness is superior. The same way a separation of the ability to avoid hits and the ability to shrug off hits is superior to D&D's AC.

Both hit points as well as armor class are simply legacy mechanics from the days of early roleplaying. Not that it matters for people who play D&D because of the brand and size of the community.
>>
>>49013941
Have you tried playing D&D at levels where being held at crossbowpoint is deadly?

Because here's how you sound:
>playing high level D&D
>characters have become demigods who walk the earth
>"why do they not feel intimidated by crossbows?"
>>
>>49018462
True, but it puts a curb on turds who think they can "win" with numbers.
House rules and homebrew content are the heart of D&D, even Gygax and his friends made house rules all the time. Look up AD&D Unearthed Arcana
>>
I like how Ryuutama explicitly points out how HP also represent stamina and endurance, having situations like using a Minstrel's Music ability, or using a weapon you are untrained in costs 1 HP to use every time.
Just today, I was in a situation where my character's shiv broke in battle against a pirate, so I kept attacking him with any improvised weapons laying around. I knocked myself out from the exertion. I had 5 hp left at first, and over the course of five turns I kept swinging and missing him.
>>
>>49018485

... Friggin' dice pools.

Static Defenses as default is the least annoying way to resolve combat.
>>
>>49018192
>Are people really that unconcerned about unneeded damage getting to them?

>Sure, an attack might take 10% of your health and you will.be fine, by being at low HP can randomly get you randomly dead.

You know what happens when random damage might kill you? Characters start behaving like people and the world starts making more sense.

I totally get the appeal of playing superheroes in gory hack and slash sessions, but I think that pen and paper role-playing games are seriously the worst method of doing that. The only edge role-playing games have over other types of games are immersion, escapism and customization, it's retarded to use them to play skyrim without graphics.
>>
>>49018512
>if I ignore the rules of the game I can beat my players
>>
>>49018494
Even without getting into stuff like immersion and suspension of disbelief you run smack into the issue of how limiting it is to play low-level characters in D&D.

There are games that are FUN where you still have to think about whether or not it's worth the risk to get into a fight, rather than just crunching the numbers and realizing that you have a big enough HP pool to take on anything.

OP is a faggot for playing D&D if he want a game where the characters act in a way that's even remotely human, but this thread is also full of butthurt fanboys who insist that D&D can be used for everything imaginable as long as you stick to the right level, when everyone with half a brain knows that it's shit for anything except fantasy superheroes.
>>
>>49018542
>I must adhere to the rules as DM because they are set in stone

Also, I never said I was trying to "beat" my players. These house rules make the game more challenging so that the problems in OP's post don't bog the game down. D&D is not competitive unless one or more of the players has issues with narcissism.
>>
>>49018542
Every system has wiggle room for GMs to adjust the system all they want, nothing is perfect out of the box. If you actually played a game you'd know that.
>>
>>49018487

I'm not a fan of havng a dedicate stat that represents the times you can get knocked out of a combat before you die, which seems to be what you are advocating.

(That 40k role play ties rerolls to not spending those resources just makes it worse)

And given I'd played game in which the check for damage is separate from the check for meaningful contact from the weapon, and felt extremely pissed off whenever I made contact and my attack did nothing, and there was no work around... It seems like you are just advocating more dice rolls for the no effect, or are trying to make armored character suck (because the drawback from getting hit are so bad, and they have no way to avoid getting hit).
>>
>>49013941
>> player gets held at crossbowpoint by guards
A player at that level should not fear guards, he's basically a heroic badass who could kill them by the dozen.
>> character falls off of a cliff
Even 75 hit points would not let 20d6 (average 70) feel very good. Death is quite possible, severe injury is certain.
>> character gets his head run over by a cart
Again, heroic badass. How many fantasy heroes do you see die to being run over by a cart? Probably has a helmet too.
>>
>>49018561
deendeefags also seem to not understand that just curbing on pc hitpoints isnt enough. once you start messing with pc stats on such a magnitude, you need to adapt the stats of every npc and every monster too because they are geared to superhero style. otherwise you cant stand a crossbow bolt to the head but THEY can.

really, if you dont want something other than fantasy superheroes, your best bet is playing something other than d&d.
>>
>>49018462
>The rules very clearly lay out that the penalty for falling is just damage. You can add houserules
Permanent injury from severe damage is an alternate rule in the DMG, not a houserule.
>>
>>49018591
Please tell me the diff between decreasing hitpoints versus decreasing a luck stat (like fate points)?
>>
>playing any Warhammer RPG
>player does wildly suicidal thing for the third time
>"lol I have 5 fate points"
>>
>>49018708
spotted the first pc to die in the 10-adventures-spanning campaign
>>
>>49018682

Hit points represent your ability to remain in the fight.

Not your ability to not die when violently removed from it
>>
>>OP
>>49018292
>>
>>49018725
Probably, but that's still a whole lot of tension lost to the get of jail free card. At least I can threaten that guy with 75 hit points
>>
>>49018731
"Luck points" do not necessarily have to just mean avoiding death, that is a matter of implementation, fate points are just one incarnation.

Let's not get sidetracked here: my original assertion was that seperating luck (in whatever form) and toughness is superior to combining both in hit points.
>>
>>49018763
Underscores my point nicely.

>>49018783
I have played both and they are equally not-tense. Both have the premise that the PCs are the heroes that should have a high degree of survivability.

Plus, when I ran a Deathwatch game, I had a PC lose 3 Fate Points within 5 hours. 2 of them because the group's psyker accidentally summoned a Daemon Prince. Shit happens.
>>
>>49018763
he just marked off 48 of his 59 hit points and continued fighting unaffected
>>
>>49018805
Not at all. Boromir had ti be hit with multiple arrows any one of which would have killed an ordinary man to finally fell him. He is a legendary hero which is exactly what D&D emulates at higher levels.
>>
>>49018443
>coup de grace moves suggest that you
Still uses HP. Explicitly still uses HP. Grants you a bigass bonus to damage, but never once says you should just throw out HP.
>>
>>49018267
I originally saw that thumbnail as a skeleton in a wheelchair.

I now want that as a thing in an RPG.
>>
>>49015356

Sadly more truth to this than people will ever acknowledge. My group loved Dogs in the Vineyard and Microscope and are contemplating MonsterHearts and Cat at some point, but right now it's 5e because to them 5e is "Better Pathfinder" and everything else just looked like pointless change for its own sake.

I can't imagine we're alone.
>>
>>49018408
>what does surviving a fall or poison have to do with luck?
I don't think you know what luck is...
>>
>>49018408

I've always wandered why some GMs throw a hissy fit over the idea that there's a lvl 1 spell that can stitch up actual damage when there's a lvl 2 spell that can regrow eyes, a lvl 7 spell that can re-attach severed limbs, and a lvl 9 spell that can "fix" not just death but a completely destroyed body.

My group is a-ok with PC's being badasses with a ton of meat points and Cure Wounds actually, you know, curing wounds.
>>
>>49019236
I've never heard of a GM complaining that Cure Light Wounds doesn't make sense.

I think far more have an issue with any character being able to essentially cast it on themselves relative to their Hit Dice by expending a healing surge/HD or just curing everything after one sleep.
>>
>>49019157
Yeah if you want to play a fantasy RPG then D&D is where it's at. Most other systems are just fantasy heartbreakers.

Obviously if you want to play in any other setting then all the other options becone viable.
>>
>>49018448

I'm actually okay not solving 2 and 3. My players are supposed to be badasses who walk into dragonfire for a living. Their all highly-trained in their fields or inheritors to spiritual legacies that give them access to the miraculous, why should they worry about wagon carts?

1 is more my style, though. The problem with taking on a group of soldiers is that you'll never actually "win." Either you'll lose the fight and get charged with 15 counts of everything in the book or you'll win the fight and they'll just send more soldiers. The bigger a nail you make yourself the bigger a hammer they're going to swing.
>>
>>49013979
This
>>
>>49018927

LG Lich who was involuntarily converted because he was useful to the BBEG of old, who used dark magic to hide his phylactery. The combination of the unwilling res, the lack of phylactery access,and the incompatibility of lichdom and his natural inclinations towards law and goodness left him a physical cripple but his mind intact.

He's now the parties primary patron in their battle against the descendants of the original BBEG, now a wide-spread organization. Primarily he's out to seem them defeated and the realm free of their malignancy, but if anyone could find and destroy the phylactery so that he could return to Mount Celestia he would also appreciate that greatly. He misses his wife.
>>
>>49013941
>>player gets held at crossbowpoint by guards
Depends on the number of guards, but if the guy has 75 Hit Points and he doesn't worry about damage he also probably has enough AC to laugh at their attacks and dodge them even when he's being held at point blank, so HPs are not so much the problem

>>character falls off of a cliff
Max 20d6, average those are 70 damage on average, I'd worry, also massive damage rules

>>character gets his head run over by a cart
Dunno how many damage is that, can't form an opinion
>>
>>49018857
>a single arrow hit kills an ordinary man
Srsly? No one will dispute that it can but... ordinary people can be shot multiple times and still remain in action.

>He is a legendary hero which is exactly what D&D emulates at higher levels.
That's not in dispute, plenty of fantasy RPG system capture that.

>>49019277
>Yeah if you want to play a fantasy RPG then D&D is where it's at.
Only if I don't mind the gamist play style that D&D promotes. If I wanted less leveling up, magic items spam and character optimization, then I would look at other systems. WFRP, Harnmaster or Runequest - depending on details of the setting and overall theme.
>>
>>49019316
No, not this. It limits character growth and the range of monsters. If I want clever, skillful human beings, below the level of superhumans, to take on a dragon and win, I need more than such a simplicistic answer.
>>
>>49019359
>Depends on the number of guards, but if the guy has 75 Hit Points and he doesn't worry about damage he also probably has enough AC to laugh at their attacks and dodge them even when he's being held at point blank, so HPs are not so much the problem

Pure cringe.
>>
>>49019622
High level characters laugh at mundane threats what did you expect? that Aragorn died against a goblin? no, he fought against 100 Orks and Uruk Hai and literally walked away unharmed
>>
>>49019766
yes and the dwarves in AUJ also walked right through the goblins, which was also completely cringeworthy, given that they werent even soldiers.

the influence of heroic bloodshed on hollywood has turned out to be pure cancer. everybody senses were the next attack is coming from and dodges it easily. although it has to be said that in heroic bloodshed the protagonists at least get bloodied badly. but these hongkong-style over-choreographed combats are complete BS, no no suspension of disbelief whatsoever.

/rant
>>
>>49019863
>Hollywood
I meant the book, anon.
>>
>>49013941
High level D&D is not for trying to intimidate PCs with guards. By 75 HP, you have to depart completely from low fantasy and start venturing into high fantasy terrain instead: that means Dragons everywhere, Beholders, Demons and all kinds of nasty stuff. By these levels, PCs are superheroes, so you have to throw in supervillains, not just mooks.
>>
>>49014084
>One thing that you need to drill into a player's head
In addition to the crossbow bolt?
>>
File: Untitled.png (168KB, 317x226px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
168KB, 317x226px
>>49018408
>Anything else is pure headcanon.

I gots me a core rulebook says different. 5E PHB, pg. 196.

Hit points are a *combination* of physical and mental durability. They are meat points when it is convenient for them to be so, and they are lucky dodges, near-misses, and der wille zur macht when it is convenient for them to be so.

That is not headcanon, it is written fact. You don't have to like it. You do have to accept it.
>>
>>49013993
>Getting shot in the head is kind of a sticking point, though.

people have survived being shot in the head
>>
>>49020187
People have also survived falling an incredible distance (without parachute).

I also can't for the life of me find it, but there's a video on YouTube somewhere of a guy who's leg partially gets submerged in lava, but he pulled it out fast enough that he got only minor burns.

Weird shit just happens sometimes. And when you're an action movie star, it happens a lot. And that's what a D&D character is.
>>
>>49018600
Even Conan the Barbarian knocked himself out by running into a low doorframe. And he was king at that time.

Having this kind of mundane accident makes heroes feel more down to earth, not untouchable. it makes them feels more rounded and likable in my opinion.
>>
>>49020644
>Even Conan the Barbarian knocked himself out by running into a low doorframe. And he was king at that time.

...when?
>>
>>49020754
I missremembered if he was really king at the time, but in the stories "Rogue in the House", Conan runs away from some guard while drunk and knock himself out on a doorframe.

Here's the link to the story : http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600781h.html

And the part that I'm talking about :
Waking to stupefied but ferocious life when they seized him, he disemboweled the captain, burst through his assailants, and would have escaped but for the liquor that still clouded his senses. Bewildered and half blinded, he missed the open door in his headlong flight and dashed his head against the stone wall so terrifically that he knocked himself senseless. When he came to, he was in the strongest dungeon in the city, shackled to the wall with chains not even his barbaric thews could break.
>>
>>49020869
Well, I mean, he's drunk at the time. That sounds like some downtime activity shenanigans. Hell, I have an entire PDF for stuff like that.

Plus you'll note that Conan was still able to fight - disembowling a captain and bursting through assailants (which would all get opportunity attacks on him). And Conan at that point is still a fairly fresh adventurer besides, according to the chronology; it takes place around the same time as "Tower of the Elephant", when Conan is in his late teens or maybe early 20s, after coming down from Asgard/Vanaheim but before he's ever led any raiders or bands of thieves or the like.
>>
>>> Critical hits do damage to CON.

>>> Crossbow to head autocrits.

Problem solved.
>>
>>49013941
Last game I was in, one of the other players had a character with so many hit points, whenever a battle would start, he'd pull out his gun, put it to his temple and pull the trigger multiple times as he charged the enemies in order to intimidate them by showing off how tough he was.
>>
>>49021005
Nice fucking up of game balance. Guess I need a rapier now.
>>
>>49021153
You know, I consider that a failing on the part of the GM. If a character shoots himself in the head they're dead regardless of hit points. They should inform the player of their ruling first, of course.
>>
File: NOT MEATPOINTS FUCKFACE.png (61KB, 776x1220px) Image search: [Google]
NOT MEATPOINTS FUCKFACE.png
61KB, 776x1220px
>>49020070
Have from E1, too.
>>
>>49018784

I'd rather any complicated health system have interesting play.

4e's healing surges represent the potential for second winds, and lets healing be per encounter on the healers behalf, but still have healing.

Video games with health and ablative armor systems makes high damage attacks just eat your health directly, and require that you do more to recover health.

Luck as a separate (something should have killed you but just knocked you out) stat doesn't make for particularly interesting play.

Hell, it feels like a character with high luck points but low toughness points is going to faint a lot.

.... Actually, why the hell is toughness the thing that gets hit first?
>>
File: hit points across the ages.png (423KB, 723x545px) Image search: [Google]
hit points across the ages.png
423KB, 723x545px
>>49021451
>>
>>49013941
Well, assuming you're the DM, you can make dramatic actions (outside of combat) more damaging. Make it clear to the players that if something happens that they couldn't possibly survive, they die. Opt to fall 7000 ft? Dead. Opt to take a crossbow shot point blank the the face? Dead. Don't be unreasonable but don't let the rules prevent you from running an enjoyable game.
>>
>>49015313
Number 3 is the reason why. It's not great for intrigue, investigations or horror, or even combat, but it's alright for all of them.
>>
>>49013993
Ah yes, GM fiat instantly killing a player despite the fact that people have survived far worse things in real life, is completely logical and no player could be justified in being angry at such an asspull
Thanks for your great advice!
>>
>>49023179
Problem is, that has to cut both ways. BBEG is immobilized for a second and shot in the head? Dead.
>>
>>49025693
That's why you need to be clear and upfront about consequences. It's not that hard if you're not a dick.
>>
>>49022263
So in AD&D 2E hit point were explicitly meat points. But in 3E they're just "how hard your character is to kill", while 4E and 5E are explicitly a combination of factors, not all of which is raw damage-taking ability.
>>
>>49013993
People have survived being shot in the head.

Just look at New Vegas.
>>
>>49025762
Not him, but that's kind of the point.

If the players manage to get themselves into a situation where they have the BBEG dead to rights, then by all definitions, they have defeated him. That was their objective, they have accomplished it, and you can't punish them by denying what they earned, just because it derails the campaign a bit.

Come up with a reason why the players should continue on.
>Killed evil necromancer who planned on raising an army and taking over the kingdom
>1) Have local sheriff or lord or what have you congratulate the players but tell them he fears the necromancer might not have worked alone due to the sheer scale of the project
>2) Have the players discover that the plans have already been set into motion and they either need to deal with his zealous underlings, or destroy his lair in order to break the spells he's been preparing
>3) Have the players actually successfully thwart this threat for the time being, get into a new adventure, only for then after the new adventure it to be revealed that some other wanna-be world ruler decided to pick up the pieces they left behind after killing the necromancer pre-maturely without completely revealing his plans, and now, having worked in the shadows, most of is work already done, this new foe shows and even greater threat

Some variation of one or more of these should resolve most of these situations.
It's not overly straight forward, bu that's the price of running a game where the players have agency, and parading the BBEG infront of them.
>>
>>49025762
When playing SpyCraft 1.0, I built a sniper character that could hit a fly on the diamond of an Ace at more than a kilometer away. It was well within my ability to headshot and one-hit kill *anything*. But I had a gentleman's agreement with my GC that I would never do this to anything other than mooks, with the explicit understanding that the GC would similarly limit himself and make sure that he never one-hit killed any of us.
>>
>>49025984
I'm arguing that something so easily inducible by magic or very temporary measures shouldn't count as someone being "dead-to-rights"

It''s not that it doesn't make for a good story, it's that
A) It's nonsensical as it vastly overstates the power of very mundane tools
B) It makes any other tactic completely pointless

Think further than just the immediate situation and you'll realize why it's a completely retarded idea. And it's incongruous as hell as well, because what happens when something that's incredibly tougher than a human gets shot like that, but obviously doesn't die?
He takes the same damage as he would in normal combat, because you only created two extremes, neither of which make sense for an attack against someone unawares
>>
>>49025826
Being clear and upfront about stupid things doesn't make them less stupid
>>
>>49025984
Spell that inflict stun, he's frozen for a round, fukk'n dead.
>>
>>49022175
I said luck points do not necessarily mean turning Death into K.O.
>>
File: HMYM.jpg (13KB, 547x480px) Image search: [Google]
HMYM.jpg
13KB, 547x480px
>>49026140
>>
>>49027899

You have only mentioned one system with luck points (the FF Warhammers system)

Can you mention another one that has an implementation you like?
>>
>>49030088

Savage Worlds.
>>
>>49026217
Stunned=/=Helpless for a reason.
It doesn't imply that he literally can't do anything, it's just that he's a bit physically out of it and doesn't have proper motor control.

If the character is in a helpless situation, that's what I'm talking about.
>>
>>49034842
Also meant for >>49026121.

The stunned and similar conditions are generally misunderstood, the same way people think an attack a round means that's the one time the fighter swings his sword, while really that's just an attempt to see if he manages to deal a proper blow in 6 seconds of back and forth.

Stunned creatures take only a (-2+Dex) AC penalty, which leaves most unarmored targets with 8 AC.
You mean to tell me that you still have a 40% chance to miss a peasant who cannot move, even as a first level fighter?

If the BBEG is stunned, that's bad, but he may have the sense to get a chained gauntlet for that sort of situation so he doesn't drop his stuff. Or if he insists on going up against adventurers and mages instead of having his minions take care of that business, he better be prepared with countermeasures for palaryzation too, be it a potion, an abjuration spell, magic armour or a big badass hulking personal guard who can simply grab him and book it if it comes to that. Otherwise he's not fit to be a BBEG.
>>
>>49013941
>player gets held at crossbowpoint by guards
>"lol I have 75 hit points"
>"ok the guard coup de graces you, take 16 and make a dc 26 fort save vs. instant death"
>"I rolled 18 lol I beat it"
>"ok the next guard also coup de graces you, take 15 and make a dc 25 fort save"
>"ok I rolled a 12 I'm dead lol"
>"lol"
>lol
>>
>>49034979
>ok the guard coup de graces you
Why the fuck are the guards holding me at crossbow point if I'm fucking unconscious
>>
>>49035032
you can CDG any character who is 'helpless,' which is defined as 'paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy.'
>>
>>49035085
So why would the guards be holding me up if I'm already at their mercy? It seems like a waste of effort.
>>
>>49035114

Holding you up IS putting you at their mercy.
>>
>>49035114
god d&d players are dense.
>>
>>49035145
>Holding you up IS putting you at their mercy.
Only if you accept being held up and submit.
Otherwise, it's just a very usual pointing your weapon at them whereupon you are not helpless in the least and cannot be coup de grâced.
>>
>>49030088
It's not about liking a particular implementation or not. It's about the advantages of having separate stats for toughness and luck, which have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Other mechanics to look at are FATE's fate points, Shadowrun's Karma, Star Wars Saga's Force and Destiny Points, etc.

The latter is of course a D&D derivative which has now luck baked into its HP bloat AND on top of it 2 luck stats. Not exactly grand RPG design but it's still playable.

Also
>>49031694
>>
>>49035361
I don't think you're getting the spatial implications of what the anon is saying.
He's not talking about a couple guards standing in a 10-15 foot circle around you.
He's talking about someone holding you up to a wall as guards stand right next to you holding their crossbows straight up in your face and/or abdomen.

To illustrate the difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggFKLxAQBbc
>>
>>49035501
Nigga AC is universal having your crossbow pressed to a dude's ballsack does not improve your chances to hit. You are either willing to fight or not, which decides if you are helpless or not.
>>
>>49034842
If not stunned, then asleep or paralyzed.

>>49034966
>You mean to tell me that you still have a 40% chance to miss a peasant who cannot move, even as a first level fighter
No, I mean D&D is a shitty abstraction of (heroic) "reality", it makes no serious attempt at reasonable probabilities, which invalidates your argument wholesale.

>>49035361
Guys, you're missing the actual problem here: the Coup de Grace mechanic is just a plug to seal the leak in the ship's hull. It is meant to rectify the biggest problem with D&D's legacy hitpoint mechanic.

Now, WOTC could of course admit that some of their core mechanics are unpolished leftovers from the early days of RPGs. But that would mean admitting a core flaw and require some rebuilding from scratch to come up with a clean design.

OR they could simply add a stop-gap mechanic and continue pretending everything is okey-doke because they have a legion of brand-loyal retards that will defend even the biggest bullshit they are pushing.

Guess what they're going to continue to choose?
>>
>>49035582
>implying there has ever been any form of accurate and detailed system of endurance measurement
Torchbearer notwithstanding because Torchbearer is a game about perfectly normal mortals suffering.
also nobody plays Torchbearer it's basically a thought experiment.

It's not "pretending everything is okey-doke" when you're the one with the flawed preconception; that D&D players are supposed to be limited by conventional humanity. Conventional humans do not go past level 5.
>>
>>49025693
>people have survived far worse things in real life
True, but that doesn't make it likely to happen. If you line up 100 real-life people and shoot them in the head with crossbows at least one will probably live, but most will just die.

If you line up 100 DnD human warriors and shoot them in the head with crossbows every single one lives.
>>
>>49035637
The whole point of hit points as a mechanic means that none of those warriors actually get hit in the head. Unless you're ruling it as a coup de grace, of course.
>>
>>49035576
It's universal unless you automatically hit, which you do with a Coup De Grace.

You spouting "willingness to fight" won't change that the rule states "or otherwise completely at an opponent's mercy."
At this point you're just wilfully deciding that a character not only wants to fight with crossbow bolts poking against his gut ready to shred their way through, but could totally avoid them without dying.

You're not only ignoring that the books describe taking damage not as each wound being potentially fatal, meaning every crossbow bolt you take in regular combat goes through your gut, and rather most of the time are just glacing blows or ones hitting unimportant parts, but you're also stating that whoever this guy is, he's also either single greatest knuckle dragging 3 Int 3 Wis moron who ever lived, or whoever is playing them has the roleplaying ability of Tommy Wissau. Because I don't care if you're Robin Fucking Hood, you're not fighting back when you're in that situation unless you lack the capacity to think.
>>
File: 1471911207998.jpg (38KB, 577x382px) Image search: [Google]
1471911207998.jpg
38KB, 577x382px
>It's an OP complains about D&D thread
>>
>>49035689
>You spouting "willingness to fight" won't change that the rule states "or otherwise completely at an opponent's mercy."
You are not at someone's mercy because they are within your physical proximity. You can still move and attack, which means you are not helpless. Even if they attack you instantly, in what would be a critical area, you cannto possibly be considered helpless, you fucking moron, because you are not at their mercy if they are not inhibiting your ability to react (with something more substantial than the threat of violence, you clod).
>>
>>49013941
D&D (modern editions, at least) is designed around big damn heroes doing big damn hero stuff, like falling off of cliffs and surviving.

If you don't like that design choice, go find another game more suited to your tastes. Don't try to pretend that D&D is inherently bad just because you don't like one of it's design choices.

I'm not commenting on whether or not D&D is bad, I'm just saying "characters shouldn't be able to die super quickly at mid-high levels" doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>49035714
I throw a regular person into a pit with perfectly smooth and slippery walls and no other way out except the way he went in. I'm am also holding a switch that will flood the pit with magma.
That person is not at my mercy, because he has the capacity to impotently claw at the wall and pretend like he can climb out.

Great reasoning.

Really dude, I'd rather not go through my entire collection of Dragon Magazine just to find every time they clarified what Helpless means for people who can't comprehend that being at someone's mercy means in any remotely realistic scenario you'd be dead in 5 seconds if they wanted it. You're not fighting 5 crossbowmen at once while all they have to do is pull a trigger.

Now if you have a spell or magic armour that can protect you in a situation like that, some sort of abjuration thing? Then maybe you aren't at their mercy. But otherwise? You're dead.
>>
>>49035784
Good job moving the goalposts uselessly.
No, he is not at your mercy, because he can move and react. There is no reason that just because he is in your deathtrap, that you should be able to shoot him unerringly with an unbalanced wedge of cheese.
You are mistaking the abstract concept of "at one's mercy" and the literal situation of "unable to resist one's efforts", you oblivious moron.
>>
>>49035784
>Now if you have a spell or magic armour that can protect you in a situation like that, some sort of abjuration thing?
What if you have completely normal armor that the crossbow may be pointing at? Nobody said it was leveled at his bare throat.
>>
>>49035806
He's not at my mercy in regards to being hit by a wedge of cheese, the same way that you're not at the mercy of the 5 crossbowmen holding their crossbows at you, to be hit by the swords they have on their hips at the moment.
They are not immediately capable of using those swords, they are not the immediate threat that is going to end your life if you do something stupid.

All this comes down to, is that you decided that D&D is bad and doesn't have a solution for this, and when there is a clear solution you'll just cross your arms, turn around and go "lalalalalala that doesn't work like that because I don't want it to work".

>>49035832
Good point actually. If the guy is wearing a full suit of armour, then he could probably fight back too, as a DM I'd accept that as reasoning on the player's part.
But again, as a DM, I'd probably not have the 5 crossbowmen even attempt to pull this against someone who's wearing a small fortress around himself, so to me the situation implies that the guy's vital parts are vulnerable and that's where the crossbows are held.
>>
>>49035865
>He's not at my mercy in regards to being hit by a wedge of cheese, the same way that you're not at the mercy of the 5 crossbowmen holding their crossbows at you, to be hit by the swords they have on their hips at the moment.
>They are not immediately capable of using those swords, they are not the immediate threat that is going to end your life if you do something stupid.
And this is where the specifics of the coup de grace feature matters, because "Helpless" is a condition. A person is either Helpless, receiving all the negative associations that comes with it, or they are not, and not vulnerable to coup de graces.
If they are Helpless, invariably they are treated as having a Dexterity score of 0 and melee attacks against them receive a +4 bonus. These cannot possibly fucking apply to a dude who is in a pit but otherwise unable to escape from it, as nothing is interfering with their dexterity or their ability to dodge melee attacks.
>>
>>49035906
Look at it this way:
If suddenly the 5 crossbowmen put down their crossbow to pull out their swords, then the cause of the guy being helpless would cease, therefore, he's not helpless against them doing that.

Now if only one of the 5 crossbowmen does this, then he's still helpless against that one guy, because he still is held there at the mercy of the other 4 while the fifth one is messing around with his sword.

Do you get it now?
>>
>>49035865
>>49035832
>>49035806
>>49035784
>>49035714
You are both doing it wrong. The D&D game loop works like this:

Describe a character's general action -> roll dice -> describe the action specifically and elaborate on the results

You cannot skip straight to the last step and backtrack from there. The game WILL break down. As soon as you've described the guard as "holding a crossbow to the 9th level fighter's head", you've already made an ass out of yourself.

Competently GM'd, it looks more like this:
>The guards cautiously surround you and level their crossbows in your direction. What do?

If the player decides to fight:
>One guard looses a bolt straight towards your head. Swiftly, you bring an arm up to defend your vitals. Take 10 damage.

Or, if he surrenders, THEN you can say:
>Good choice. With their crossbows pressed to your skull, it would be unwise to fight back.
>>
>>49035932
>If suddenly the 5 crossbowmen put down their crossbow to pull out their swords, then the cause of the guy being helpless would cease, therefore, he's not helpless against them doing that.
>Now if only one of the 5 crossbowmen does this, then he's still helpless against that one guy, because he still is held there at the mercy of the other 4 while the fifth one is messing around with his sword.
Conditions do not work this way. You are not conditionally helpless to one thing and not helpless to another. You are helpless, to literally everything, or aren't, because it is a on-going effect that is affecting the character.
I get what you are intending, but D&D does not function like that. Conditions are not circumstantial.
>>
>>49035941

Ah, the DungeonWorld "whether or not there are bears behind that door depends on whether you fail the roll" school of GMing.
>>
>>49035941
1st and 4th guy here and I agree.

I'm talking about a situation where this already went down, and the player decided to surrender, where to me, it seems like the other guy is arguing that the PC can still up and decide he's not having any of that and fight back, which unless they have a huge trick up their sleeve like a specialized abjuration spell or the like, it nonsense.

>>49035959
Read it again.
You are helpless to people holding you at crossbow point.
If all of them decide to put their crossbow down, you aren't.
If 1 out of 5 decides to put down their crossbow, you still are being held at crossbow point so you are still in the condition of being helpless.
>>
>>49035989
Can he take actions? Then he's not helpless.
>>
>>49035975
That's another beast entirely. That kind of GMing breaks the logic of cause and effect by decree of the GM. Guess what else breaks the logic of cause and effect? The GMing decreeing that an effect is so before consulting the player's action or the dice -- in this case, the "cause".

>>49035989
>I'm talking about a situation where this already went down, and the player decided to surrender, where to me, it seems like the other guy is arguing that the PC can still up and decide he's not having any of that and fight back, which unless they have a huge trick up their sleeve like a specialized abjuration spell or the like, it nonsense.
Ah, sorry, didn't read well enough. In that case, I'd say it's probably grounds to rule as a coup de grace unless the guards are momentarily distracted -- either by another PC, or a trick from the player, or maybe a bluff check if you're feeling generous.
>>
>>49035975
1: Dungeon world is inspired by D&D, so that method is obviously from D&D first.

2:
>"whether or not there are bears behind that door depends on whether you fail the roll"

what?
How is that related to anything?
Going straight to "guard points a crossbow at your head" straight up is dumb because it assumes that the character just stood still while waiting for the guard to do that obviously dangerous action.

3: Trying to use "dungeon world does it so that means it's bad" is dumb. Dungeon world also uses dice, does that means all games that use dice are bad too?
>>
>>49036045
A bound character can take actions (escape artist checks are actions you know) and yet they are considered helpless.
>>
>>49035989
>You are helpless to people holding you at crossbow point.
>If all of them decide to put their crossbow down, you aren't.
>If 1 out of 5 decides to put down their crossbow, you still are being held at crossbow point so you are still in the condition of being helpless.
And this makes no sense whatsoever. Why, because one person has a crossbow trained on you, should you be helpless? Because he will fire? You can still react and dodge. Crossbows are not instant hit laser cannons. Even a gun held point blank can be reacted to in less than a second, diverted before the trigger is pulled, though it takes extreme reflexes (you know, like those of a well trained superhuman warrior) and even though you'll have a good chance of taking a bullet anyway, it will not necessarily be where it was previously aimed and therefore could not be a coup de grace. Same for a crossbow bolt, yet moreso.
>>
>>49035989
I've seen plenty of action movies where the hero straight up disarms a goon pointing a gun to his head

if he's not literally immobilized, I don't see why the fighter should be considered helpless there.
>>
>>49036067
A bound character can take specified actions only. That' why he's helpless. Someone with crossbows aimed at him is not helpless.
>>
File: disarm check.webm (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
disarm check.webm
2MB, 480x360px
>>49036077
Who needs a movie?
>>
>>49036076
>And this makes no sense whatsoever. Why, because one person has a crossbow trained on you, should you be helpless? Because he will fire? You can still react and dodge.
>>49036077
>Disarm one goon
Read the fucking thread.
1) Not one person has a crossbow at you, rather one person does not in an effort to take out his sword, and 4 do, one trigger pull away from scrambling your guts or piercing your brain
2) They aren't aimed at you, they are literally poking it against your gut, inches away
>>49036054
>unless the guards are momentarily distracted -- either by another PC, or a trick from the player, or maybe a bluff check if you're feeling generous.
Yeah this is fair.
Again, if the player actually has some sort of defence in the situation, be it a completely concealing suit of armour (then again why did the guards even try this?), a spell, a distraction, or something of the sort, it is a situation you can get out of. But if it's literally just you getting pushed up at a wall with no way out and no ability to convincingly bluff and distract them? Then that's the situation where you're helpless.
>>
>>49036143
>1) Not one person has a crossbow at you, rather one person does not in an effort to take out his sword, and 4 do, one trigger pull away from scrambling your guts or piercing your brain
>2) They aren't aimed at you, they are literally poking it against your gut, inches away
And you can still twist your entire body because you don't actually have a dexterity of 0, meaning you are able to divert the prerequisite lining up and preparing of a coup de grace (which I will remind you is a 6 second full-round-action, and cannot be Readied). At best, they would have a large circumstantial modifier to their to-hit.
>>
>>49036179
>System specifically designed to override combat
>It doesn't work, because that's not what would happen in combat
>>
>>49019600
>If I want clever, skillful human beings, below the level of superhumans, to take on a dragon and win,

If you want this, what you want are very smart players. Mechanics can't help you. Dragons are the size of a house, have scales like plate armor, can breathe fire that's instant death at range, can fly, and frequently have a grab-bag of various one-shot superpowers granted by magic spells. They're ungodly powerful monsters and six unexceptional humans trying to take a dragon either pull off something brilliant (because they are being run by very smart players) or they flat-out die. There is no option three.
>>
>>49036330
>>System specifically designed to override combat
>>It doesn't work, because that's not what would happen in combat
Yeah, two alert individuals having a violent disagreement is what I'd call combat, buddy. No circumvention here. "Roll for initiative, his readied action means he shoots you (with a perfectly normal arrow attack) before combat begins" is precisely how any sane DM would rule there.
>>
>>49023179

Asking a character who can throw down with a t-rex and expect to win by merit purely of his strength and skill to treat a mall cop with a crossbow as a serious threat is unreasonable. Whether you think HP represents the ability to bounce crossbow bolts off of your skull or dodge a crossbow bolt at point-blank range, it sure as Hell represents *something* that ordinary humans cannot do.
>>
>>49036143
>what is equilibrium?
there you have your movie. want more in which a ridiculously agile character is not helpless in this situation?
>>
>>49036179
Look, I actually get what you're tying to say, but you're abstracting this very far.

The game is round-based for the sake of running it smoothly. It doesn't mean that while you take your turn, every other combatant is just sitting there frozen in place.
You might take your actions while being surrounded by crossbows, but let's not forget the reason it's a fullround action:
The warrior takes a stance, aims his weapon for something vital, and then thrusts his sword.
That is what Coup de grace implies. That's why it's a full round action.

These crossbowmen already took their stance, they already aimed at vital organs before initative was even rolled if you decide to fight back, all that remains is pulling the trigger which is at most a swift action, if we want to put a statistic to it.

What do you imagine is happening while your character does a pirouette amidst crossbows?

The DM's responsibility is to apply the rules in whatever way makes sense for the situation.
Everything that makes the full-round action be a full-round action has already occurred.

If you're going to rules lawyer this away, you might as well not have a DM and just program the rules into a computer.
>>
>>49036427
>equating a talented rogue in D&D with someone who seemingly his access to Time Stop at will.
>>
>>49036349
Smog died from a single arrow. Well count 2 arrows.
>>
>>49013941
Get better players.

Use GURPS.
>>
>>49036349
A. Dragons have various sizes and capabilities.
B. There is magic and magic items.
C. Heroes at the edge of human capabilites can be astoundingly capable.
D. But, yes, they need a good plan, good gear and good stats. That is the point.

However, all of this requires that dragons are not D&D's overpowered beasts and PCs are neither D&Ds superheroes nor low-level D&D characters with insufficient capabilities.
>>
>>49036406
peasants can, by sheer luck, overcome the mightiest heroes
>>
>>49036435
>You might take your actions while being surrounded by crossbows, but let's not forget the reason it's a fullround action:
>The warrior takes a stance, aims his weapon for something vital, and then thrusts his sword.
>That is what Coup de grace implies. That's why it's a full round action.
No, warriors do that in the midst of combat all the time. A coup de grace is one step further. It's more like, the assassin takes a few moments to line up his dagger with your heart, then plunges the blade down. This occurs all at once, and would not be possible if you could any way interfere with his lining up the dagger (thus, requires the target to be Helpless). It actually consumes seconds and concentration, to the point where a person can't so much as pick up an object at the same time.

>These crossbowmen already took their stance, they already aimed at vital organs before initative was even rolled if you decide to fight back, all that remains is pulling the trigger which is at most a swift action, if we want to put a statistic to it.
That's a readied action, which is impossible to perform coup de graces with. You can only ready standard or move actions. The simple act of an unrestrained alert person shifting around would throw off the precision required for a coup de grace.
>What do you imagine is happening while your character does a pirouette amidst crossbows?
As said, gets attacked by a normal readied action, same as they're getting shot at by crossbows at any other time. They can get lucky, they can use their extreme reflexes and skills to divert the attacks to less harmful locations or miss entirely, or they can indeed still take crossbow bolts to the kidneys if their AC was insufficient, but that would not be a coup de grace because the precision aiming at a vital location was disrupted.
>>
>>49036451
Hey, it wasn't me who claimed that PCs in D&D are superheroes. It seems to me like D&Dfags are switching their story at convenience. If they are superheroes, 5 crossbows aimed at their head at point blank range means they are not helpless. Not if recent Hollywood movies are any measure.
>>
>>49036509
As I said, just send your DM packing and get a computer.
Both of you will be better off.

>>49036528
That's precisely what I'm saying they aren't.

Hell, an ordinary warrior between levels 1-20 gains not much more than the ability to easily best less experienced soldiers and endure poisons that would kill lesser men.

They are not demi-gods, and I don't understand where this concept of them being that comes from, just because they manage to score more than one damaging blow in the midst of battle where swords were swinging left and right since level 1.
All they gain is a better grasp of combat.

Wizards too only ever get as powerful as people complain, if the DM completely ignores the part of the rules where the wizard gains his spells through study, not divine intervention. The aren't demi-gods either that just know their spells at no personal cost. They are meant to invest downtime into research or join a guild with expectations and limitations to gain those powers, if they are worthy of them.

It feels like somewhere along the road DMs let go of the wheel and now we're in a world where people think their characters are straight out of the upper crust of DC Comics.
>>
>>49036528
Anyone past level 6 is superhuman.
OP's example is someone with 75 base HP, which implies a level 6 Barbarian who is ridiculously stacked (rolling max HP nearly every level) at the very least, or more likely a level 10-11 Fighter who would be decidedly superhuman.
>>
>>49036616
>As I said, just send your DM packing and get a computer.
>Both of you will be better off.
You're treating coup de graces (a precision strike to one's vitals against someone who could not possibly prevent the attack) as something that can be readied and fired at a swift action, which is invalid both by the rules and by common sense. You cannot take precise aim at someone's heart if they are moving around. You will shoot at their heart and maybe hit their ribcage or maybe they twist their body entirely and you hit nothing.
>>
>>49036503
>by sheer luck
By sheer numbers. Who cares that Johny and his son died during ambush on werewolves. Thats nothing compared to 20 silver pieces wither asked for this job. We still have taxes to pay.
>>
>>49036616
>Hell, an ordinary warrior between levels 1-20 gains not much more than the ability to easily best less experienced soldiers and endure poisons that would kill lesser men.
A level 20 fighter can be immersed in magma for 18 seconds and walk out of it alive.
>>
>>49036452

A single magic arrow that killed literally everything Bard ever fired it at, yes.
>>
>>49036673
no, I meant by sheer luck. a mighty hero, an experienced warrior of countless fights, can fall to a single lucky strike by a peasant with a heavy branch. that is the stuff oy myths and legends.
not the type of stuff you want to pull on your pcs, granted
>>
>>49036729
If you want to do that, play Rolemaster, not any version of D&D.
>>
>>49036503

Yes, with sufficiently lucky die rolls zero-level punks can overcome mid-level (or even high/max-level) opposition. So what?
>>
>>49018016
That's likely true for a portion of the posters about every game. It's not that no-one plays games, but every game has people who haven't played it.
>>
>>49013993
Sure HP is an abstraction, but it's kind of abstraction.
The heal spells are called cure WOUNDS.
Poison and other such effects do their thing when they damage HP.
Stoneskin gives you damage resistance.
Precision is represented by attack and raw destructive power is always represented by high damage.
In the rules damage is always linked to some kind of actual harm despite that one tiny bit that says that it isn't.

It's a wildly inconsistent system that doesn't do a good job of reflect what it's intended to reflect. A hit is when you take damage, the rules call it hit, the rules handle it as a hit. In one paragraph it says it isn't actually a hit.

And if I remember right there isn't anything in the book about not using HP for getting shot at point blank range. At the most it has some crazy brutal damage multipliers and crits and shit but with 75hp he could still be in fighting shape when his turn comes around.

You can houserule it otherwise. It would probably be a pretty good houserule too. The RAW could definitely benefit from some good houseruleing.
because it's handling of HP is silly.

But I would say anyone who is confused by HP in D&D is totally justified in their confusion.
>>
entire thread tl;dr
you can interpret your level 20 jackass who can survive 4 cannon balls to the face as either literally being durable enough to survive 4 cannon balls to the face, or having a running plot armor that drains out every time a cannon ball "misses" them, it doesn't really matter, D&D is a setting with magic and both work.
>>
>>49036685
Rather unlikely, considering even 1 round immersed in lava deals 20d6 damage you take 10d6 damage afterwards for 1d3 rounds and if you take more than 50 points of damage from a single hit (that a reasonable DM might rule standing in liquid damage being the same elongated hit) constitutes Massive Damage.

>>49036658
The way you say it, heavily implies that in your view, hitpoints are "meat points".
Maybe in your games that is fine, but in every game I've ever played, the "its a sum of luck, fighting spirit and other factors thing" was used heavily.
No blow outside the final one has the potential to be fatal. You gather scars, cuts, even semi-serious injuries throughout the fight if you get a critical, but none of it will kill you if left unattended beyond a bandage.

None of the crossbow bolts you take at range will hit you anywhere near your guts, they will cut your arm, jam into your armour and pierce your skin, but it's not until the final shot that you get your lung pierces straight through, or your jugular cut, even if that blow deals 1 points of damage and each one previously dealt 20.

Having a fighter casually walk around with an arrow sticking out of his brain and looking for another fight would be ridicolous, and people pointing out stuff like >>49036685 is basically them having decided that they don't want the game to make sense, so they'll just go ahead and ignore that the DM's entire purpose is that he's to fix unforeseen complications.

You can call it a shit system because the DM actually has to rationally think through what the situation entails, even - dare I say - discuss with the players how the world he's running works, and curb nonsense that might occur on his own, with little aid from a book that would be more expansive than the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, were it to be prepared for any complications on its own. But some of us take that as the price of admission for running a game that is accessible for players.
>>
>>49036811
What exactly is a good alternative to hit points then? Especially if you want to maintain verismilitude?

I mever saw it not making sense myself. If you shoot an ordinary man with a crossbow he's going to die or be badly wounded. The rules follow this as a commoner has 6 HP and average damage of a Crossbow is 6.

If you shoot a dragon with a crossbow it's going to sting it but be able to shrug it off , hence needing to fire multiple volleys into it to being it down.

If you shoot a crossbow at Conan the Barbarian it's going to hurt but he's a level 6 barbarian with 75 HP so he's going to keep on fighting happily until multiplw blows can bring him down.

Personally I also use a called shot system which allows the likes of headshots which can incapictate somebody with enough luck.
>>
>>49013941
Give the PCs maximum hp for the first level, then nothing after that. Do this for the monsters and important NPCs too. Keep everything otherwise the same.

That way you can enjoy competent heroes slaying monsters, that can still be felled with a single hit from a crossbow. Let the good times roll!
>>
>>49013941
Play old school.
>>
>>49036811
This I agree with.

It is confusing, but I think it's so specifically to make it easy to adapt depending on what you want to do.
The DM is explicitly given a lot of leeway, tons of optional rules and encouragement to make more.
If they want to run the game where HP is meat points, as much as it won't really make sense outside of a comic book-like setting, it's possible. If they want to abstract it, they can with the right narrative changes that they can discuss with players.

The greatest fault with D&D is that it relies on DMs to take it and fix it, because in general, it IS broken. But all the framework is there to make it into whatever you want and have a game that's accessible on the player level. And that - as unfair and difficult as it can be - what makes it a powerful system in the right hands.
>>
>>49036915
>Rather unlikely, considering even 1 round immersed in lava deals 20d6 damage you take 10d6 damage afterwards for 1d3 rounds
And a level 20 fighter will have somewhere around 220 HP where 20d6 deals an average of 140, +70 for the round after. Fine, make it 6 seconds. It's still beyond humanity to walk away from that.
>constitutes Massive Damage.
Level 20 fighters have very high fortitude saves.
>>
>>49036921
I've always just kept HP as a measurement of your narrative importance. As you get higher in level you have less of a chance of being punked, you are never considered defenseless if you want to fight.

Guy is standing over you while you sleep with a sword stabbing for your heart? You manage to snap awake at the last second and turn enough to not get gutted. That sort of shit. So no, you can't punk a level 20 with a commoner if that level 20 wants to stay alive.

Now, for the silly scenarios where a player is simply trying to bullshit the system then they are forgoing their defenses, they aren't trying to struggle so if they wanna die they can.
>>
>>49036991
>Level 20 fighters have very high fortitude saves.
Actually, I have to give you that.
Been playing with the same group so long, forgot that our rule about it being a flat Con save was a house rule.
>>
>>49036811
The beauty of hp as a system isn't apparent until you consider the range of creatures D&D covers.

With a more direct wound system, creatures like hill giants are either unstoppable meat slabs or feel like paper mache due to having way too few wounds or way too little soak. And it just gets worse from there, as you get into colossal creatures, constructs, ghosts, and so forth. With abstract hp, creatures can be tanky for different reasons and tankyness can be represented as a single stat. You don't NEED a bunch of subsystems that say, "this is damage avoided from skill, this is damage avoided from luck, this is damage absorbed, etc." because hp covers it all.
>>
>>49036915
>The way you say it, heavily implies that in your view, hitpoints are "meat points".
>Maybe in your games that is fine, but in every game I've ever played, the "its a sum of luck, fighting spirit and other factors thing" was used heavily.
>No blow outside the final one has the potential to be fatal. You gather scars, cuts, even semi-serious injuries throughout the fight if you get a critical, but none of it will kill you if left unattended beyond a bandage.
It's a mixture, this means that yes, sheer "how much blood you have remaining" is a factor. Not the sole factor, and indeed in this very equation you may be getting nicked by bolts here and there (because I conceded they'd get free attacks, just NOT coup de graces) or just worn out from dodging them.
Either way this dodged the point. Crossbow bolts from range can spear your gut, that would be a critical hit. A crossbow bolt from point blank can miss, because the dude was fucking fast like >>49036135 or something.
>>
>>49018210
>If the D&D system had 2 different stats... say 15 points toughness and 60 points divine luck
>Same reason why AC is bad (mixing ability to not get hit with ability to shrug off hits).
Look up Fantasy Craft. It's like 3.X, but with viable non-combat/non-magic classes, Vitality for divine favour points and Wounds for meat points and Defence for ability to take a hit while Armour is DR.
>>
>>49037060
Also, forgot to add: There are Terminal Situations for times when a guy can just slice your throat or something out to instantly kill you and Critical Hits go straight to wounds
>>
>>49037023
>A crossbow bolt from point blank can miss, because the dude was fucking fast like >>49036135 or something.
I'm not sure if I'd accept that as a good example because for one, clearly this was setup as a demonstration, so the guy was neither was ever going to pull the trigger, nor was that gun loaded, and on top of that, it was a single opponent instead of a group.

Still, you make a decent argument, and again, my point is that the DM has to figure something out.

Being in a situation like this as a wizard, is different than being in this situation as a level 20 monk.
The way I DM, I often directly discuss rule applications when it's not clear. Sure Acid Flask doesn't say it can do it, but I'd let a character try and melt a lock with it, with a roll depending on the material used because it's a clever idea to get out of a situation on the player's side.
If they could make a reasonable argument for why their character could pull a stunt like that (level 20 monk for example), I'd give it to them, with the warning that if it fails they're in a very bad spot.

Still an aspect of this we never really mentioned is that why would the character even be fighting in this situation? Unless they've already established themselves as an untouchable god, why would the character, in character, think it's a smart idea to do this?
Why would the character know that coup de graces are a full round action, and he has a high AC, so he's completely safe from those 5 bolts just begging to puncture his innards?

That's kind of the bigger issue with OP's argument in my opinion. The idea that the PC even tries something this stupid just because the OOC rules allow for it to be possible, is a big part of this.
>>
File: disarm.gif (2MB, 295x214px) Image search: [Google]
disarm.gif
2MB, 295x214px
>>49037094
>I'm not sure if I'd accept that as a good example because for one, clearly this was setup as a demonstration, so the guy was neither was ever going to pull the trigger, nor was that gun loaded, and on top of that, it was a single opponent instead of a group.
The dude's also not a trained master of combat who can easily contend with a dragon. Even if you want to consider a fighter to be real-world human, you must consider them to be the peak of humanity, among the greatest combatants to ever live. Because they are the heroes who behead the jabberwocky and go galumphing back. They are not some farmer who was given a chain shirt and spear and told to watch the gate.
>>
>>49036482
>Dragons have various sizes and capabilities.

Yes, you can technically have a horse-sized reptile with wings and fire breath and unexceptional natural armor for a creature of that size and it will technically be something like a dragon. If that's what you meant by "dragon," it is extremely misleading to just say "dragon" with no further elaboration.

>There is magic and magic items.

Either the magic and magic items make the PCs into superheroes, in which case this is just a slightly different method of reaching the exact same conclusion (and one that probably fucks fighters over for no reason) or else they don't, in which case they're insufficient to kill a dragon.

>Heroes at the edge of human capabilites can be astoundingly capable.

Not when facing creatures who are explicitly several measures beyond the edge of human capabilities.

>But, yes, they need a good plan, good gear and good stats. That is the point.

"Good gear" and "good stats" are either making the PCs into superheroes, in which case you've contradicted yourself, or else they are not making a difference because the dragon is way too fucking strong. A good plan is something your players supply. The system cannot help you with it.

So we're exactly where we started: If you want heroes to be able to kill a dragon without their players personally being very smart, they need to be superheroes, full fucking stop. Your entire post is conceding that every premise is incorrect while engaging in obfuscatory bullshit to pretend the conclusion is somehow still valid. It's not. Either your characters are superheroes or they will die to a dragon.
>>
>>49037094
There's two guys in that video that are pointing guns at the guy, they are obviously volunteers, and are obviously surprised at how fast he moved.

In any case, high-level D&D characters can move at least that fast, considering that, for example, in a 6-second period they can (with high enough BAB) loose 2+ aimed arrows at different targets, strike at 2+ different targets in melee, whatever. And while I can buy it being a CDG if the PC sits there and takes it, if they move first I can't see the surrounding guards being able to react in literally a split second in order to deal the kind of damage with precision a CDG implies.
>>
>>49037140
>>49037151
You're assuming that we're talking about a level 8+ fighter here, more like level 12.

Let's not forget that it's a dude who got himself surrounded by crossbowmen who were more than eager to take him on up close.
By the same argument as yours, we can dismiss the entire situation as impossible under those circumstances, because those same crossbowmen would have long heard of this great warrior, and would prefer not to walk that close to him.

That, or those crossbowmen are equally exceptional warriors and believe they can take him on.

The argument is by its nature situational, and it not applying in some situations doesn't mean it doesn't apply in any situation.
>>
>>49037196
>You're assuming that we're talking about a level 8+ fighter here, more like level 12.
It's unlikely for anyone less to have 75 HP, unless they took the Improved Toughness feat (lol)
In fact, level 9 is where I'd expect your average fighter to pass 75 HP.
>>
>>49020225

>lava
>submerged

No. Lava is still stone, and there's no way a human being of any weight could "sink" into it seeing as how (even plastic and hot) it's still denser than the human body.
>>
>>49037278

It can be poured in around you.
>>
>>49037316

This is a weird thread to ask in, but sure, let's do this. How much experience do they have with vidya RPGs, and which ones do they enjoy? What kind of media are they into in general?
>>
>>49037290
Technically speaking, you(r ashen remains) will float to the top in short order. Though that does depend on the viscosity.
>>
>>49037316
It depends a bit.
Have they already made their characters?

The way I like to go, is start with a mystery. If their characters aren't the cold and disciplined kind, you could have them wake up in the common room of an ink, hungover a bit, finding a cryptic note in one of their pockets and then having to re-trace their steps from last night, to figure out who gave them this message and why (it could be a lead-in to the first proper adventure too).
Alternatively, you could have them accidentally walk into a crime scene, or if one of them has a military/guard background for their character, maybe have them be deputized to figure out a crime.
>>
>>49018512
This is really the best answer. Nothing wrong with the rules for tournament play, or while you're learning a new system, or hell even if you're just a wargaming autist who mistakenly got tricked into thinking the rules are necessary for accurate combat.

But for a group of guys like in my group, we do so much shit outside of what the rules covers, or we might want to do a couple sessions where for instance we're leading a large army. The Paladin has decided to stay back and direct the overall forces, with officers given wands of colour spray to use for communication. Meanwhile the rogue is leading a squad of sappers, and chose to have less sneaky for more stab and boom. The Cleric is front-line with the elites to buff and heal, as well as the Warlock who is there to be the "hidden dagger" for enemy elites or high value targets they encounter - alternatively an explosive covering fire for retreating.

Fuck using D&D rules for that shit. Screw Unearthed Arcana. If we wanted to play a wargame, we would.

So instead we have the players make a plan. Then our DM breaks it into a series of steps and plots his "challenges". Depending on how the players want to resolve the challenge, that affects how they roll. The rogue wants to stealth kill some sentries? Fuck rolling combat, it's going to happen. Get more dudes to help for a bonus to kill them quickly and be able to take another action but risk getting caught, or go solo and have them wait to act.

Shit like that. Almost a narrative system at that point.
>>
File: Well, it pays a little.png (398KB, 700x380px) Image search: [Google]
Well, it pays a little.png
398KB, 700x380px
>>49037368
Look on children, and look well, for you see here an example of that most elusive and rare beast of our day:
The TTRPG player who knows what he's doing.

10/10 group
>>
>>49037148
> So we're exactly where we started: If you want heroes to be able to kill a dragon without their players personally being very smart, they need to be superheroes, full fucking stop. Your entire post is conceding that every premise is incorrect while engaging in obfuscatory bullshit to pretend the conclusion is somehow still valid. It's not. Either your characters are superheroes or they will die to a dragon.

We call this "When to use NPCs". Your players aren't picking up your subtle hints? Well fuck, then give them a hand.

They have to kill a dragon but can't come up with a plan. But hey! There's an old tale about a dragon that was killed, the problem is that the one the locals know doesn't have the details.

So they track down where the tale originally came from. There they find a descendant, or a shrine, or some shit like that which gives them more details.

I would personally make it vague here still. Maybe there are two interpretations of what happened and nobody knows which is correct, or the descendant can be recruited but needs (x) done or to be convinced somehow whatever. Or they need tools for the plan they don't have, and have to figure out a work-around or wait for them to be forged or something.

Meanwhile the Dragon is causing more damage. So they have to choose between getting a more solid plan/unique items or trying to wing it and risking failure.

Of course, that's also something I'm assuming is a possibility. That you aren't just simulating a CRPG so there's the possibility of the players FAILING to kill the dragon, having a risky plan that doesn't work, or using false information, or not having enough men or macguffins but not being willing to wait.

You should definitely reward innovative players, or smart players, and hell even players who are just willing to risk it all. But for that to work you need to give them something to play off of.
>>
>>49037456

You are still not describing anything to do with the system, and therefore not at all backing up your claim that D&D is a bad system. Like, yes, powerful opposition can be turned into a mystery to solve rather than a straight combat challenge. You can do that in almost any system under the sun, including D&D, because that is a GMing tactic, not a mechanical option.
>>
>>49037436
This >>49037456 is also me.

We round robin our GM every narrative arc as well, so we don't have a "forever DM". Me and another guy are alternating a low-fantasy Conan style game that's 100% homebrew.

Players picked a "combat style" - Sword and Board, 2 Handers, Dueling, Discrete, and Archery. That gives them "basic" experience and +10 in any weapon that falls under that. Then they got to pick specific gear to have trained with which they started with nothing but could increase throughout the game.

Sword and Board allows shield maneuvers, 2Handed weapons had specific abilities, Dueling and Discrete were the only ones that gave crits and allowed weapons at all times - Dueling also had an extra +5 to1v1 that could be increased to +15, and then either another final+10 or apply to up to 3 foes. Discrete was always assumed to be concealable, and could be daggers, or saps, or darts, blowguns etc. They could also be poisoned.

Archery was obvious.

Anyways. The idea was to have vague classes that were focused less on "how much damage" but more "how do you fight".

Magic items give lateral effects and are rare. A stone that gives off light, tattoos that help you sneak, an idol whose facial expressions match the inner feelings of whoever you're talking to etc.

Social is Blather, Intimidate, Charm, Seduce and has it's own resolution tree where you can spend points to get them to accept a point or to ignore one of theirs, and you need to get (x) points resolved to succeed.

Honestly we tried to keep it vague so that everything is 1d100 with bonus/malus or narrative structure.
>>
File: 1472047314528.jpg (62KB, 750x690px) Image search: [Google]
1472047314528.jpg
62KB, 750x690px
>>49019600

Then D&D isn't a good system.

Try GURPS dungeon fantasy or some sort of FATE/Savage World.

Runequest will also work I guess.

Early edition dnd or retroclones cap health, so they might do it if you wanna stay within dnd. You can also do an essential 6 dnd run (players don't progress past level 6, but they continue gaining feats).

One interesting thing you can do with dnd fifth edition is that you stop health progress and spell progress at level 6, but you let skills, to-hit, feats, class features, etc continue to progress. This is sort of essential six but probably a bit smoother. You can allow spellcasters to buy higher level spells using feats. You can rework how spell slots work to better scale with the new leveling system.
>>
>>49037456
>>49037651
Still gotta say, love the group setup.

I'm personally kind of stuck being a Forever DM, since I'm running a campaign which is centrally built around the concept of the players not knowing what's going on.

Basically imagine The Apocalypse Stone, except it's playing out extremely slow, the players are not the ones who set the whole thing in motion, and they slowly need to figure out what DID do it, what this means and what they can do about it.
>>
>>49037496
Not that guy, for one thing. That's a stupid argument anyway. If that's your argument, then D&D is a perfectly fine system because it has a CR and direct combat is designed to work within the framework specified by using D&D stats for Dragons and PCs. It's bad GMing to throw a Dragon again non-superhero PCs because that's not how the combat system is supposed to work.

I was really just contesting you needing "smart" players to kill a Dragon in D&D without making them superheroes.

If I wanted to argue that D&D was a bad system in regards to how you kill Dragons, I would say that it is because it gives enemies like that statistics at all. I would much more prefer that instead it gave them weaknesses, strengths, abilities, and common tactics with the qualifier that older or more experienced dragons might do things differently. This would allow for PCs from a large range of classes and skills and levels to defeat one by various means other than attacking until it runs out of HP.

Even then, if your character is high enough level, you could just duke it out and dodge or tank the hits until you had killed the dragon. Or whatever other high level encounter.

TL;DR D&D is a "bad" system because it doesn't have rules or a resolution system for solving encounters outside of direct combat.

But then again, D&D is a "good" system because it doesn't forbid using alternative GMing tactics to resolve encounters without using direct combat.

Is your glass half empty or half full?
>>
File: 1434500934185.jpg (28KB, 335x333px) Image search: [Google]
1434500934185.jpg
28KB, 335x333px
>>49013941
I like HP when they are done right, but they are best suited to games where the PC's are the protagonists of an action movie. Action movie protagonists don't die instantly from things like that unless it's the conclusion to a large action scene.

>character falls off of a cliff
Action heroes frequently dive off of cliffs and come back... because action heroes. If it WOULD kill the hero, but they have HP left, they lose some of those HP in order to latch on to the cliff dramatically at the last moment.

>Character gets his head run over by a car
If you're not out of hit-points, then you're not disabled/unconscious enough for your head to be squashed by a car.

Think of it this way, any TRUE telling blow will kill a PC, but they spend a meta-resource called "hit-points" that represent an action-heroe's plot-shield, in order to dramatically negate thee hits, either by dodging at the last minute, grabbing a the edge of the cliff at the last moment, or by sheer luck. If you fully accept the action-movie rules, HP work.... though lots of HP systems try really hard to be simulationist, so yeah, that doesn't work so well.
>>
>>49037820

My problem with that is that healing spells and healing potions...does what? with this sort of health explanation.
>>
>>49037831
Replenishes a reservoir of stamina, banishing exhaustion, and returns them to fighting form.
Maybe have people call them "potions of fortitude" or something.
How do people use names of spells in-universe, anyway? Maybe Cure Moderate Wounds is better known as "Replenish Strength [medium]".
>>
>>49037788
>If that's your argument, then D&D is a perfectly fine system because it has a CR and direct combat is designed to work within the framework specified by using D&D stats for Dragons and PCs. It's bad GMing to throw a Dragon again non-superhero PCs because that's not how the combat system is supposed to work.

This has fuck all to do with what I said, which also describes the last post you made. Seriously, what the fuck.

>I was really just contesting you needing "smart" players to kill a Dragon in D&D without making them superheroes.

And you contested that by instead making smart NPCs who create the plan for the PCs and then feed it to them one bread crumb at a time. That doesn't rebut the point I was making at all, only the exact phrasing of it, which is a semantic argument.

>If I wanted to argue that D&D was a bad system in regards to how you kill Dragons, I would say that it is because it gives enemies like that statistics at all. I would much more prefer that instead it gave them weaknesses, strengths, abilities, and common tactics with the qualifier that older or more experienced dragons might do things differently.

You are either describing freeform roleplay or you do not know what "statistics" are. If the former, you're bitching because D&D is bad at being something it was never trying to be, which is unsurprising enough as to be an insipid non-contribution to the conversation. The latter is ignorant to the point of parody.

>D&D is a "bad" system because it doesn't have rules or a resolution system for solving encounters outside of direct combat.

Have you ever read a D&D book? Every single edition of D&D has had rules and a resolution system for solving encounters outside of direct combat since at least AD&D 1e. Some editions' non-combat rules are a dumpster fire, but they exist and they are usable.
>>
>>49037831
Not him, but the way I do it, every hit hurts you, but it's only the final blow (however low a roll compared to everything else) that is a potentially fatal blow.
Every other blow just leaves you with cuts and bruises of various levels.
Cure spells and potions are less of a "magic patch" that heals serious wounds that would kill most people, and rather they are something that close wounds and work as kind of a painkiller/adrenaline boost mix.

It's houseruled a bit, but it works, and I tend to roll on a custom critical table if anything truly outstanding happens (like them getting bellow 0 hit points, or going through 3 fights in a row getting knocked near zero... Or you know, receive a critical.)
>>
>>49036758
Been there, done that.
>>
>>49036890
You've missed a vital part of the debate though: the part where we discuss if having two seperate stats for luck and toughness is superior to D&D's hitpoints.
>>
>>49036921
Separate "meatpoints" and luck into 2 stats.
>>
>>49037739
Well, a large part of how our initial DM got away from being a forever DM was by getting us to each write a brief story that would be 4 arcs. We all agreed ahead of time to this, and planned to work with the person to move it along so that we could do one arc in a night.

Since they were short arcs, the plan was to just have that person pre-gen characters and he would help check to make sure they could do what the person wanted them to do for their role.

Well that was irritating so that's when we went with the rule of 5 instead.

> Who are you (Big and Fast but Weak, Small and Smart but Scared, essentially two positive traits and a negative trait),

>What do you do ( Sneak and Stab, MAGIC MOTHERFUCKERS, Smite and Shield, honestly we pretty much used D&D classes here but more vague),

> What do you want (Players filled this in, we aren't autists or assholes so this worked okay),

>Who do you fear (Help make antagonists, or background organizations. Yes, one guy did the whole prisoner forced to fight thing, which let the party decide whether or not he earned his freedom at the end. Well, we actually ended up killing his Parole officer but I digress)

and

> Who do you know (Family, business or school connections, part of a knightly order etc)

Essentially we ended up doing everything backwards, where the DM-to-be wrote a vague setting like "Pirates trapped on a series of inland lakes" was one, "Drunkards looking to become the best barroom brawlers in the county" was another, "Wizards in applied Academia" was the third, and I can't remember the actual name but the fourth one was a western clint eastwood style.

I mean, all this took us about 6 months to put together while running our main campaign. And we tuned the dice system between each one because we would do things in the first that gave the second guy more ideas.
>>
>>49036993
Again, my points throughout the thread has been that D&D's hitpoints are a bad, legacy mechanic because they mix luck and meatpoints. The superior approach is having two stats because
a) you know whether a character just has been wounded or just consumed a portion of his luck
b) you help definining characters better by having tough but not very lucky heroes or meek but incredibly blessed guys.
>>
>>49037018
>With a more direct wound system, creatures like hill giants are either unstoppable meat slabs or feel like paper mache due to having way too few wounds or way too little soak.
This is a problem of proper statting. Or are you saying a balanced design is impossible? If so, I require eveidence.
>>
>>49018252
i'd assume because either they already have and are now dead, because they feel some other calling is more worthwhile to take up, or perhaps because they're just lazy.
>>
>>49037148
Bullshit. They need means to survive long enough to get X wounds in. X depends on the size of the dragon and the quality of their (magic?) weapons.

Fuck it, Siegfried did it all by himself before he bathed in the dragon's blood. Seriously, guys, lay it off.
>>
>>49018512
>>49037368
>>49037436
This. Does not. Excuse. Bad system. Design.
>>
>>49037948
Continuing.

Anyways, what I'm trying to describe is that it wasn't just one DM trying to teach one guy, or having someone run through modules, or making a sprawling setting and not knowing what to do with it.

It was a group effort to work together, with a set timeline IRL, to get everyone in the group used to making a setting and then using it.

They knew what kind of characters the other guys wanted to play, and the other guys knew what kind of setting it was going to be, Yeah, it was more "on rails", but that was so everyone could take their turn DMing.

Lots of conversation afterwards, and bouncing ideas off of each other.

So if you want to move away from being a forever DM I suggest trying something like that. Get everybody to do a rules-light game or just fake it with some dice and descriptions of skill. Get everyone to do a couple of sessions so that they can change how things work between them instead of doing just oneshots, and get both the new DM and other players to be on the same page about what they want to play and write.

I mean, we now run very different games. There's six of us, our original DM still runs DH, another guy runs PF and is slowly coming around to trying 5E, Me and another dude do our Conan 1d100 bullshit in short arcs, one guy only does occasional funny one-shots and one guy doesn't like doing it at all.
>>
>>49037820
See >>49037982
>>
>>49037148
>Either the magic and magic items make the PCs into superheroes, in which case this is just a slightly different method of reaching the exact same conclusion (and one that probably fucks fighters over for no reason) or else they don't
Every fucking person is magic in D&D. Magic supersaturates the settings. Every single being has magic that courses through their veins, magic surrounds them and suffuses them at all hours of the day.
At any level up, a person can suddenly take Sorcerer as a level, meaning they realize the latent magical potential within them and learn to channel it. They can also take the Draconic Heritage feat, suddenly realizing that they are of the (long-distant) progeny of the dragon-gods Bahamut or Tiamat. This is because dragons are compatible with every living race and breed with mortals fairly often, so it's entirely reasonable for every single person on the planet to have a far-flung draconic ancestor that they may not have even known about.
Every last life form in D&D is magical.

>>49038014
Nigga Siegfried had a magic sword and got coached by Allfather Odin chieftan of the aesir etc. etc.
>>
>>49038037
I think you miss, that the larger point here is not that D&D is perfect, but that D&D is easy to get into, and a DM can with a bit of effort and communication make it into something great.
Is it great on its own? No.
Would it be nice if it was? Yes.
Does that stop anyone who's already willing to put hours of his life every week into setting up a fictional world and running it, from ironing out the problems so that it chugs along at the pace and in the way they want? No.

It's a mess, but it's the kind of mess where you know where everything is.
Call it shit all you want, you're not wrong.
But you being right doesn't make it any less enjoyable.
>>
>>49038014
>They need means to survive long enough to get X wounds in. X depends on the size of the dragon and the quality of their (magic?) weapons.

See:

>Either the magic and magic items make the PCs into superheroes, in which case this is just a slightly different method of reaching the exact same conclusion (and one that probably fucks fighters over for no reason) or else they don't, in which case they're insufficient to kill a dragon.

Siegfried killed Fafnir with the sword Gram, which is powerful enough to cut an anvil in half. Siegfried's superpowers came from his sword (and later from Fafnir's blood, but at the time he was killing Fafnir, just from his sword), but he still had superpowers.
>>
>>49038075
>Every fucking person is magic in D&D.

So, I'm the guy you're responding to, and I can't tell. Are you disagreeing with me? Because if so it's not clear how.
>>
>>49038092
I'm saying yes everyone's a ""superhero"" past level 6-ish.
Magic is everywhere including in the PC's bloodstream.
>>
>>49038075
>Every fucking person is magic in D&D. Magic supersaturates the settings. Every single being has magic that courses through their veins, magic surrounds them and suffuses them at all hours of the day.
So basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik ?

That can be played a lot of ways though. When magic is everywhere, the mundane is powerful. Han doesn't need ancient weapons and hokey religions with a good blaster by his side, even if said blaster, on some level, is affected by the Force.

That's kind of how I like to think of magic in D&D, simply more organized and structural by the nature pushed on it by the gods, which is why Wizardry is so complicated.
>>
>>49038144
>Han doesn't need ancient weapons and hokey religions with a good blaster by his side
Han couldn't possibly defeat Luke in a fight by episode VI so considering them to be equal members in a party is dumb.
>>
>>49017931
3.5 also had damage for being in lava. After a point in D&D your just a super hero and petty things like lava just don't do it.
>>
>>49038178
If you honestly think that who could defeat who in a fight is a measure of their equality merit or value, then I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>49038088
Bullshit. Siegfried is not a superhero. Siegfried is just a hero, a classical medieval heroic figure with a magic sword. Nobody uses the prefix super- to distinguish Siegfried from other heroes of myths and legends.
>>
>>49038220
It's comparing an NPC to a PC in other words justifying OP's dude. Luke was superhuman.
>>
>>49038097
Pretty sure arguing with this guy is pointless.

>>49038079
This right here. Every system is going to be flawed or sacrifice accuracy in some way, because it's just a representation of reality.

When you start saying (x) isn't detailed enough = bad design because the DM shouldn't have to do it, you fall right into (x) is bad because it's not an accurate representation.

D&D is designed to be played a certain way, and mainly to provide balance to combat encounters based on character levels.

The majority of it as well I would say is designed to be played from level 3 to level 12 or so, and even then at level 3 your character is supposed to be an exceptional person much more skilled than the average bloke.

By the time you're killing dragons and shit, you SHOULD be fucking superheroes. Tell me the last time you heard the tale of Chaz the barrel maker who killed Sirmugh the Worm of the Woods in single combat.

That being said, the setting is explicit in by giving everything statistics, from HP to DR to AC and all those lovely acronyms and representations, that it opens up the possibility of Chaz the Barrelmaker to go off while all the other brave heroes are facing the dragon and dying in brave combat, make some sort of trap and get his friend Dave who's dumb but strong and his friend Steve who's a clerk in the castle and has a liberal attitude towards the concept of personal property, to help him set it up. So the dragon chases Dave into a trap set by Chaz that uses all the random kitchen knives Steve could swipe from the castle, tied to weights, to pierce and tangle the dragons wings so it can't fly.

Have this set up in a dry gully littered with large rocks pushed in and small pits dug, so there's shitty footing for the dragon.

Then Chaz knocks the block out of the dam that was built to power the sawmill, and the dragon is washed into the lake since it can't fly away and drowns all tangled up in the knives and shit tied together.
>>
>>49038238
>and even then at level 3 your character is supposed to be an exceptional person much more skilled than the average bloke.
Says who?
>>
>>49038220
>>49038237
Not really in this case particularly. Unless Luke is the NPC. He's the "chosen one" who is guided by the force, so he doesn't actually have to roll to succeed. When he blew up the Death Star, it wasn't because of his exceptional piloting skills or precision with the weapons of the X-wing.

It was literally just him letting the Force use him, and him not actively aiming or anything.

Han on the other hand had no such thing. When got by through his skills as a fighter and a pilot (and a ladies man woo woo) and when he tried to step up against the big bad he got smacked the fuck down because he was just a normal dude.

Sadly Star Wars is pretty big on the Jedi/Force wank, especially without the AU.

HK-47 was a much better example of how a PC would exist in the star wars universe. Even killing Vader or Palpatine would have been conceivable in the KOTOR universe, if exceptionally difficult due to their positions and sensitivity. So you would have to limit the people involved, the people deliberately not involved, and somehow still draw them into a situation where you have enough firepower to kill them that you didn't assemble for that purpose etc.

But yeah. Luke is a DMPC and Star Wars the movies is a shit campaign on hard rails.
>>
>>49018165
>pot calls the kettle black
>being this anal about fantasy games
>>
>>49038238
>So the dragon chases Dave into a trap set by Chaz that uses all the random kitchen knives Steve could swipe from the castle, tied to weights, to pierce and tangle the dragons wings so it can't fly.
D&D doesn't have rules to support this kind of thing. You're houseruling it entirely from scratch. That may be fine with you, but I'd rather not spend time and effort on literally making up mechanics to make shit work under D&D. I'll just play a system that supports that kind of creativity from the get go.
>>
>>49038248
I refer you to

>Dungeons & Dragons For Dummies, By Bill Slavicsek, Richard Baker

They go into it in detail, including specifically pointing out that in D&D a PC IS A SPECIAL PERSON. Or we can look at the statistics for a Guard

Armor Class 16 (chain shirt, shield)
Hit Points 11 (2d8 + 2)
Speed 30 ft.

STR
13 (+1)
DEX
12 (+1)
CON
12 (+1)
INT
10 (+0)
WIS
11 (+0)
CHA
10 (+0)
Skills Perception +2
Senses passive Perception 12
Languages any one language (usually Common)
Challenge 1/8 (25 XP)

Compare that to a level 3 Fighter who will have rolled 1d10 for hp 3 times and so an average of 15hp. Not accounting for the fact that NPCs usually have slightly higher HP for their CR as opposed to HD for monsters. And your fighter will hopefully have better stats than that guard., and will have many more skills and abilities already and will be looking at specializing into a martial archtype.

So while the Guard is also a trained professional, at level 3 your PC is inherently physically better, more skilled, and possessing unique abilities that allow him to do extra damage or prevent damage etc.

I don't mean to come off as confrontational if you were seriously asking, but that's the intent behind PCs. By all means, you can use Rule Zero and make your NPCs equivalent to PCs, but as they are laid out in the books they are just not as good.
>>
>>49019600
>I want players smarter than the smartest creatures in the Monster Manual with 40 or so to Int.
Players shouldn't be able to outsmart Dragons, justs saying.
>>
Why are the players breaking the railroad, we need more realistic narrative systems where people die when I tell them to

t. faggot DM
>>
>>49036135
Staged as fuck, the guy behind him is rising his arms surprised even before the fatty turns. Either he's a precog (in which case why not come up with a better solution if you can see the future) or staged.
>>
>>49038321
> Making up mechanics is super fucking difficult.

Tell you what, you can argue D&D not having rules or mechanics for resolving this sort of shit with

>>49037876

and his

> Every single edition of D&D has had rules and a resolution system for solving encounters outside of direct combat since at least AD&D 1e. Some editions' non-combat rules are a dumpster fire, but they exist and they are usable

I mean, I'm describing what's *possible* since there are rules for drowning damage and the dragon has HP and so you can technically kill it. As opposed to a system that says "Dragons are invincible" or that their scales can only be pierced with a unique sword, or has them be unable to leave a certain area, or other shit like that.

Or another example is killing the Lady of Pain. Can't be done, fuck you, no exceptions. Ignore Vecna, don't respond to Vecna posts, discredit known Vecna advocates in all other posts.

But yeah, they had to specifically not give her any stats so people wouldn't try bullshit like killing or imprisoning her just because there were numbers.

Seriously. "Mechanics are hard to make up".

Get your players to break down building the trap into a series of set actions. Roll against whatever stat seems appropriate and add any skills or whatever modifiers to see how successful they are, if they fail make them roll again and charge them time, if they fail badly make them fuck it up and either break/lose material or hurt themselves, or ruin something beside it.

Do this until the trap is set, or they've fucked up too much and run out of material or ruined the area.

For the encounter, use the combat rules until the Dragon and bait get to the trap. If they do, Roll for the Dragon to spot the trap. If it fails, roll for the trap do be sprung at the right time with your DEX and hit the dragon against its DEX . Roll damage fir the knives, say 1d4 per 60 knives needing to do 120 damage to cripple the dragon.
>>
>>49038454
>Staged as fuck, the guy behind him is rising his arms surprised even before the fatty turns
Because he just flipped quickly.
>>
Give your players XP for realistic and good roleplay. It's in the rules, you can (and should) do it.

Your "I have 75 HP lol" player might respond better to that kind of incentive.
>>
>>49013941

hit points does not simply discribe one's ability to soak in damage
That element in fact corresponds only to a small margin of that growth
Hit Point corresponds to one's ability to survive damage. Say, one's experience to danger and thus avoid getting hit by blows that would have hit him before, but costs him some concentration required to dodge that next one.

Which is also why clerics and bards are decent healers, rather than medics. It's not just their wounds that they're recouping, but their ability to rally back
>>
>>49017931

In third edition, a ballista bolt dealt 3d8 damage.

It also listed damages for falling off cliffs, being dunked in lava, and other shit that should kill you, but doesn't, because you have enough meat points.
>>
>>49038518
>Hit Point corresponds to one's ability to survive damage. Say, one's experience to danger and thus avoid getting hit by blows that would have hit him before, but costs him some concentration required to dodge that next one.
This isn't true. There are damage numbers for being submerged in lava. Keep up with the discussion, senpai.
>>
>>49013941
>Doesn't like D&D
>Dislikes D&D so much that he makes a tread about how much he hated D&D instead of just not playing D&D
>Hates D&D players that don't hate D&D who post in his D&D hate thread and fail to hate D&D like he hated D&D
>???
>Kindly fuck off.
>>
>>49014206

>Random no name guard has bolts of slaying

Shit like this should get you banned from GMing.

"Oh, you want to shake down this guard, well congrats, he's a level 20 Fighter with DR/10 and regeneration, have fun :>"
>>
>>49038548
I can guarantee 99% of people whining about "meat points", magic and other stuff in D&D are the the kind of DMs who do shit like that. They're control freaks who get butthurt when people actually play a game instead of spectating a novel.
>>
>>49038464
Continuing, because this shit ain't hard.

For every extra 10 damage over 180, give a bonus to the net tangling up the Dragon. Alternatively, for every 1d4 that comes up a 4 give a bonus. All you're doing is having the dice represent how much success there is from having the net not only tangle on it's own, but from having the knives pin it in.

Roll against the dragons STR+DEX for getting tangled, either breaking the ropes or slipping them. Adult Black Dragon is 23 STR and 10 DEX, so out of 60 1d4 you're going to need at least 13 1d4s on a D20.

Maybe your players thought about this, and wrapped the rope with wire or some shit, give them a plus 2 bonus. Statistically there's a one in 4 chance of getting a 4 so you should get around 15 of them on 60 rolls.

PC up by the dam knocks it down at this time. Are they opening it? Don't roll. Are they chopping at the supports? Sure, give it a reasonable HP and roll damage but not to-hit because it's a fucking dam. If they're smart they would have prepared it though so no need for a roll.

Anyways, the dam breaks. Flip a coin, either roll again for the dragon breaking the net or for him trying to get out of the way of the water. Normal movement rules, I'm sure there's rules for being in a net as well. Or just normal movement if he got free, in which case I would give the PC the choice to try and distract him from the breaking dam and risk themselves or just bail.

Dragon gets one turn to escape, or get free. If it tried and succeeded getting free earlier, roll against it's STR+DEX to escape the water. If it didn't get free, roll against its STR alone now to try again.

Dragon hits the lake. One last STR+DEX to escape to shore if free of the net, one last STR to get free if not, and if that STR check to get free succeeds it gets one last STR+DEX to swim to shore.

Otherwise it fucking drowns, and three jackasses saved the day.

I feel that would be a reasonable resolution.
>>
>>49038568
D&D's problems mainly bother me as a GM not because the players are so unbalanced that I can't kill them with anything, because the disbalance can crop up in the party itself, wherein one player can do everything while the other can do nothing. The fatal mistake is made as easily as picking one of the core classes presented in the rulebook. The rest of the poorly thought out system seems to work in tandem to make this issue worse.
>>
>>49038424
Curiously enough this anon would be the first to bitch and moan if their character died to some stupid accident, because it would be "bullshit".
>>
>>49013941
Divide hit points up between 'Meat' and 'Morale'. 3 Morale for every point of Meat. Natural hazards, critical hits, traps, and otherwise unavoidable hazards inflict Meat damage directly. Everything else reduces Morale first. There, done.
>>
>>49038639
>""""""""accident"""""""
>>
File: 1472164401483.png (85KB, 192x187px) Image search: [Google]
1472164401483.png
85KB, 192x187px
>>49038464
>>49038582
Do you honestly believe that the dragon won't make any of its checks against some shitty trap a bunch of peasants made? Why the fuck are you making the dragon roll something as bizarre as STR+DEX in order to escape when there are three save values provided by the system for this exact purpose?

>Roll damage fir the knives, say 1d4 per 60 knives needing to do 120 damage to cripple the dragon.
>For every extra 10 damage over 180, give a bonus to the net tangling up the Dragon. Alternatively, for every 1d4 that comes up a 4 give a bonus. All you're doing is having the dice represent how much success there is from having the net not only tangle on it's own, but from having the knives pin it in.
What the fuck am I reading? This is the stupidest shit I've ever seen. A simplistic trap made out of knives and nets isn't going to cause hundreds of damage. Otherwise every random ass goblin or kobold cave would have things like these annihilating fucking everything.

Your houserules are retarded. Telling people to make up houserules to salvage a shit system is also retarded. How much nonsense are you going to spout to get people to believe that it's they who are in the wrong and not D&D?
>>
>>49038548
On the other hand,

> Lol I have 75 hp
> Player gets held at crossbowpoint by guards
> Given the players high level, he's reasonably well known for past deeds and exploits
> Alternatively, reasonably well equipped and the Guard takes note of dudes in full plate or wielding enchanted weapons etc.

So at this point you have a few more realistic but still related choices.

> GuardS surround him, namely enough that it's not just one crossbow bolt he's shrugging of but a bunch with the possibility of crits being a real concern.

> They aren't "random no-name guards" but are in fact the Special Weapons and Tactics team called in to deal with their badass self. And part of the special weapons are arrows of slaying.

> This group of guards is merely the first responding force and the fantasy SWAT is on their way.

There's no need to be a bad DM about it. Unless it's some yokel village, in which case you make a little note and after they massacre the guardsmen, a group of youths starts on their own journey to see justice done. If another player is cool enough, have them run it for the group as a side story where the Guards being killed happens offscreen and the killers are described vaguely or secondhand without specifics that immediately detail the party.

Have them travel in the party's wake, making it seem like they're going after a group of the BBEG or are even trying to find the main party to ask their help, doing side quests and cleaning up loose ends or left-over enemy forces etc.

Timeskip a lot so it's a fun "extra" to the main quest, and when the time is right or you get bored or whatever have them meet the party and try to gain their revenge.

I personally would prefer to not artificially level them. Have them be woefully weaker and unprepared but determined to see justice for their parents death. Maybe they all die, maybe one breaks and runs, maybe one stays behind and sacrifices themselves so the survivors can escape.

Savour the woe.
>>
File: 1471281959564.png (369KB, 558x672px) Image search: [Google]
1471281959564.png
369KB, 558x672px
>>49038682
>They aren't "random no-name guards" but are in fact the Special Weapons and Tactics team called in to deal with their badass self. And part of the special weapons are arrows of slaying.
>fantasy SWAT
>There's no need to be a bad DM about it.
Excuse me? Where did they get those? How come I came across no countermeasures to these "arrows of slaying" during my adventures, especially since they're so common? How come I've never heard of these guards being in possession of these things? This is some stupid shit, GM. I can't help but feel like you're making this up on the fly just to counter me.
>>
>>49038682

>GuardS surround him, namely enough that it's not just one crossbow bolt he's shrugging of but a bunch with the possibility of crits being a real concern.

Okay, I have enough HP to soak up a fall at terminal velocity and (assuming I'm a high level adventurer) a reliable means of making any damage I receive negligible thanks to regeneration or DR granted from special enchantments or materials.

Even then, are you seriously going to make me devastate the entirety of a village's militia just to take me down a peg?

>They aren't "random no-name guards" but are in fact the Special Weapons and Tactics team called in to deal with their badass self. And part of the special weapons are arrows of slaying.
>This group of guards is merely the first responding force and the fantasy SWAT is on their way.

Why haven't I heard about them once since my adventure? Fantasy SWAT seems like shit that would spread once the plebians found out about it.

Also, arrows of slaying aren't cheap, nor are they readily available to own, so where the fuck are they getting this shit from?

I'm halfway tempted just to get captured so I can break out and steal their loot away from them honestly.
>>
>>49038680
60 * 1d4

60 - 240 damage.

It ain't trying to stab its chest, but rip the wings and get caught up in it, sticking in and shit.

Even then, you aren't rolling "damage" against HP, but to see if enough damage is done to ruin the wings and have the knife net stick to it. You'll notice I didn't make any fucking mention of the dragon's HP or wearing that down or anything. We're going off the rails onto some home-made mechanics here.

And hey, you giant fucking faggot, if there are three save values provided then go the fuck ahead and use those. You were the one bitching that "There aren't any mechanics in D&D to handle this".

Anyways, I picked STR+DEX because those seem like reasonable stats to use, either pulling apart or slipping out of a net or some combination.

Also, like I said about 15 of the 1d4 rolls for the knives should come up as a 4, so rolling a d20+ ~15 gives a pass against the STR+DEX of 33 so you have to roll an 18 to tangle the Dragon on average. If you get 12 or less 4's, then the Dragon breaks free regardless. Unless your players tried to reinforce the rope somehow to jew other bonuses. So it's possible, but barring good rolls at some point unlikely because yeah it's a fucking dragon and a net made from knives. That once again isn't even about hurting the dragon, because fucking kitchen knives, but enough sticking in to have the net work and hopefully keep the Dragon from getting free right away.

Then you have several points where the Dragon can try again to get free, and if so avoid the trap, along with the possibility of the Players having agency to accept more personal risk to resolve failed rolls, possibly from damage from the Dragon or having to challenge rolls against actions.

So yeah I'm satisfied. The mechanics are relevant, reasonable, affectable, and flexible enough to describe the situation with multiple levels of success/failure without being a cutscene or a coin toss.
>>
>>49038638
>I don't play D&D but I regurgitate things I've read about it

OK.
>>
File: 1465659153966.png (87KB, 698x658px) Image search: [Google]
1465659153966.png
87KB, 698x658px
>>49038789
>Literally make up a bunch of overpowered nonsense houserules to prove a humanity fuck yeah tier point
>So yeah I'm satisfied.
Typical.
>>
>>49038680
I have to agree with this.

Also, most dragons have DR. Your fucking knives are literally not going to overcome it. They are going to skid off and break.

This is a whole lotta of retardation for a whole lotta nothing.
>>
>>49038789
There are NOT any mechanics in D&D to handle this stupid shit, you fucking retard. You pulling stupid, bullshit overpowered houserules out of your ass isn't D&D.

Every step of this is stupid. YOU are fucking stupid, and ignoring how the rules ACTUALLY work, like the DR which means the dragon laughs off the pathetic dumbass shit you are trying to claim is an actual idea.
>>
>>49018210

>Crossbow to your head? Sorry, luck can't help you here

Why not? Have you never seen a movie where someone spots an assassin at the last second and barely avoids getting their brains blown out?
>>
>>49038789

You do realize that dragons have DR right?

Actually, you don't know, because like many shitters who construct houserules, you either don't know shit about the rules, don't know shit about game design, or both.
>>
>>49038735
> Where did they get those
From the royal Artificer. Where do you get yours, do they just spawn out of nowhere?

> How come I came across no countermeasures to these "arrows of slaying" . . . they're so common?

They're not common, they wouldn't use them on a regular guard or a drunk peasant holding a goat hostage because it cheated on him with his brother. Your high-level ass with your fancy armour and suspiciously muttering sword is another issue, especially since you're known to be a warrior of repute who is tough as well as deadly. Indeed, it's less "where are the countermeasures to these arrows" so much as "these arrows are the countermeasure to your armour/magical protections/mystical healing" etc. bullshit.

> How come I've never heard of these guards being in possession of these things?

Did you bother to find out? You think Jackass McCoy down at the bar, sells turnips mainly and turnip preserves, he's secretly a master fletcher who can recognize not just an enchanted arrow, but the enchantments themselves?

Hey, you decided to walk around in full gear, swinging your dick in town the past couple of months. Killing monsters, guarding caravans, and working for one of our own Nobility as . . . bodyguards? Investigators? Private security forces? Making a name not just among the villages but in court.

You're surprised that when the call goes out to take you in to be questioned that they're going to bust out special equipment to deal with you?

I mean, do you think we're monsters, that we would just try to drown you in men?

OOC - I mean, having A guard catch you somewhere doing something is one thing. No reason for him to be some bad dude, and honestly I wouldn't even blink at 75hp saying fuck it. But if you have a bunch of Guards pinning you down, you have to assume they are prepared for you, and if you're at 75hp they're going to break out the big and expensive weapons. Does your GM make every enemy fight to the death as well or something?
>>
>>49038802
I'm not even that guy and I can agree that's a valid problem of 3.X.
The monk cannot compare to a druid. Druid has a class feature that is stronger than the monk. At 8th level a druid can accomplish anything a monk can, better, without using a single spell slot, just by taking the appropriate wild shape. And still use spells, as Natural Spell is a 5th level feat.
A Fighter will never really match a Barbarian, either. Barbarians have most/all the strengths of fighters (multitudes of fighter-feats are not that great of a strength to begin with), but have actual features and are much more durable in practice, as they don't require expensive and restraining armor.
>>
File: 1459076234813.jpg (113KB, 401x401px) Image search: [Google]
1459076234813.jpg
113KB, 401x401px
>>49038880
>Hey, you decided to walk around in full gear, swinging your dick in town the past couple of months. Killing monsters, guarding caravans, and working for one of our own Nobility as . . . bodyguards? Investigators? Private security forces? Making a name not just among the villages but in court.
>You're surprised that when the call goes out to take you in to be questioned that they're going to bust out special equipment to deal with you?
Oh, so they're even apprehending me for no other reason than to shake their dicks of slaying at me and make me remember whose game it is that I'm playing? You know what, I think I'll go join Steve's game instead.
>>
>>49038880
So, yes, it's you pulling it out of your ass because 'bad players'.

Fuck you.
>>
>>49038825
I mean, I'm assuming you're a troll.

>>49038844
Which is why the knives aren't damaging the Dragons HP, but instead they are trying to do damage specifically to the wings which aren't scaled. I'm having it not deal with the DR at all.

I mean, DR isnt a magical field that surrounds the dragon and says "Hmmmm" with a nasal tone while it checks its book and rolls a dice. It's a mathematical representation for the general, well, resistance to damage.

Heck, once again, I'm not even using the rolls to reduce the Dragons HP/"damage" it

Just to see if a) enough of the knives stick in to catch the net on it, and b) to see if enough knives stick in so that instead of just having to spend an action and shake it off, the Dragon has to try and either break the rope or pull it off.

The DR doesn't come into effect here, because the knives and the entire point of the net made from them, isn't to cause damage to the dragon.

Sorry if I explained that poorly by having a 1d4 roll to see if the did enough "damage" to the dragons wings.

Try to remember however, that things like HP and "damage reduction" are concepts represented by numbers, not actually explicit states themselves like it's some sort of computer game.

Or maybe that's how you imagine your games, literally like that. Why don't you make some shitty webcomic out of it, without words because I'm sure you hate those, you can call it "Order of the Dick" not so much to insinuate you're personally a dick, but because I'm pretty sure you're just not very good at non-literal concepts and are probably creatively bankrupt in general.
>>
File: 1467390647258.gif (3MB, 264x240px) Image search: [Google]
1467390647258.gif
3MB, 264x240px
>>49038964
>he's still going
>>
>>49038964
The autism is delicious.
>>
>>49013941
Think that your player is Jackie-chan
Until he's at 0 hp its not about how deep does it pierce, but how close does it graze him
>>
>>49038981
I've not been back to /tg/ in years.
The last three days I've been dipping into random threads.
This colossally autistic 3aboo seems to be in all of them. Regardless if it has anything to do with any edition of D&D.
He seems to be a constant to the board these days.
Why hasn't he been fucking permabanned for trolling so damn much?
Is this the shit a post moot 4chan has become?
>>
File: ADND Realism.jpg (72KB, 440x486px) Image search: [Google]
ADND Realism.jpg
72KB, 440x486px
>>49013941
>No one and nothing can die dramatically
Your lack of imagination is not our problem.
>>
>>49038964
DR covers the whole of the body, nigger. Every inch.

You don't get to bypass it. That's what DR/- MEANS.

Your retarded houserules only get stupider the more you try to defend them.
>>
Holy shit

You fucking 3aboo autists are still going

Someone points out the flaw in your game, and you have no ability to accept it. You just backpedals for days.

Dnd sucks
>>
> playing D&D

Nothing wrong with that. He's a kickass character who probably wipe the floor with swarms of mooks on regular basis. It's like complaining about Conan and his friends battling an army by themsleves in the Conan movie. Being held up is just an excuse for the heroes to break out the kick assness and look good doing it.

Why did he laugh? He could have easily died. Average for a fall like that is 70 HP (20d6). It's fucking easy go over 75 with those dice rolls!
Unless it was a smaller cliff?

Could make for a good comedic moment. Character gets his head run over into the mud (to explain how he could survive something like that) and he gets up with an earth facial while dizzily exclaming that he's alright.
>>
>>49038964
You can climb up the dragon's butthole with a DC 80 escape artist roll and stab it in the heart. It'll still have DR.
>>
>>49038964

Oh my god, you're seriously this fucking retarded.

DR affects the entirety of a creature's body and even if it didn't, you're trying to argue that a knive that's effectively the size of an ant to a dragon and a rope that might as well be dental floss is going to do anything to a creature that's THE apex predator of the MM that isn't a diety or outsider.

Every post you make just makes you look more autistic, just stop.
>>
>>49039055
20d6 are 200ft at least, that isn't that big of a cliff.
>>
>>49039052

The 3aboos have gotten really bad these last few weeks.

They invade threads that have nothing to do with D&D because someone ITT mentioned D&D in an unfavorable light in passing.
>>
>>49038921
> Oh, so they're even apprehending me for no other reason than to shake their dicks of slaying at me and make me remember whose game it is that I'm playing?

Yeah yeah, it's always "I dindu nuffin" with you Lancer types. I'm sure that if we were to pull you in and cast a field of truth that we would find out that you're a devout follower of Pelor and that this is just your fathers sunday armor, and you only have that sword for self defense against Sabers, even though everyone knows they're Lawful Good,

No, we've had our eye on you for a good while now as a possible problem. You aren't even part of a knightly order, or the Nobility, and clearly your latent rebellious nature is showing through now that you're resisting the rightful and Royally ordained law by refusing to come with us to the point we had to draw on you.

You will come to answer to the Royal Court about your intentions here, your relationship with one Count Robillard, your involvement in possible disruption of the Bugbear clans to the South East that you apparently were previously hired to subdue, and are now claiming to be awaiting a groom to replace the one, suspiciously like yourself, that they claim was first eaten by ghosts, then kidnapped, and eaten again leaving only your voice trapped in a box that they opened and let it get eaten by the ghosts as well who had at this point taken your form and had to be scared off before it did that to their King.

Fucking . . . . Fucking Bugbears AND Lancers.

Now. You might think I'm bluffing. You might think that these are normal arrows and your armor's shine alone is enough to stop them. Only one way to find out.

Damn, wish I had just done a short Dirty Harry skit where it turns out the Guards are just bluffing that they have arrows of slaying and really it's just a picture of Darrens cock with "Open wide" carved underneath it.
>>
>>49038921
Good riddance.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EM6uhqcB4
I guess we have a quantic impossibility here. Someone call the army, this dude must be an alien, no human can survive this stuff.
>>
>>49039073
>>49039075

Y'know, all of this could've been avoided if you didn't play a game where health was meaningless.
>>
>>49039071
It's a pretty flawed system, but what OP mentioned are not really flaws of the system. D&D is a superhero system on a medieval fantasy setting, that's not per se a flaw.
>>
>>49039071
>They
The issue is, it isn't a they.
From what I've observed, its ONE DUDE.
>>
>>49039114
Virtualoptim more than probably, without the tripcode though
>>
>there are people on /tg/ RIGHT NOW who don't use narrative kills that negate the rules designed specifically to only be used when the risk element of the die roll benefits the quality of the game

Do you make PCs roll for things you know they're going to just re-do until they get it done and time isn't of the essence, or where the risk of failure isn't important, or where the task isn't particularly challenging or important? No, you don't, because RAWfags get the fuck out.

Sure you shouldn't just use "lol you die" narrative to force PCs to follow a story they don't like. Sure you shouldn't butcher someone's character just because you want to dick them over for some perceived slight. And sure, you might want to avoid forcing all the players to auto-fail that save your GMPC will 'somehow' succeed so he gets the chance to do the cool thing for the players instead of letting them do it. That's a shitty GM using a good tool in a bad way. But acting like narrative override of the rules is an intrinsically bad thing because some assholes do this is like saying we should ban cars because some people drive drunk.
>>
>>49039134
And why is the cunt not getting his IP banned?
I know bans arent impossible!e to evade, but it'd be nice if some token effort was made.
>>
>>49039102

The problem with D&D as a superhero system, in terms of 3.X at least is that there are some major issues that oppose that idea.

1)Classes are balanced evenly, 2)The combat is a slog where either you're hitting a damage sponge or you're side-stepping it entirely w/ magic, and 3)Part of the fun of a superhero story is watching supermen being put up against a threat that even their power cannot deal with upfront.

Nobody gives a fuck about Superman taking on some mook that explodes when Superman flicks him in the head but put him up against Darkseid or Doomsday and suddenly, shit's about to get interesting.
>>
I've had that 'problem.'

It gave me an idea. I made up an adventure where the party was cursed to their level 1 hit points number, and they had to find the cure to this curse while battling level 13 threats using intelligence, traps, tricks, tactics, magic, money, mercenaries, contacts, etc.

It was a great game. Only one of the PC died, and it was a sacrifice play during the last battle against a Tarrasque.
>>
>>49039160

>Classes aren't balanced evenly

Damn auto-correct.
>>
>>49039160
>3.x
>Balanced Classes
This can only be bait.
>>
>>49039140
>killing people on cutscenes
Cunt detected.

Only would be ok if you and the player talk about it beforehanded and he's ok.
>>
>>49039175

see >>49039174

Auto-correct fucked me up.
>>
>>49039160
That has NOTHING to do with the style of the game, those are problems don't depend on a super hero system on a medieval fantasy setting, they affect that style of playing but are not related to it.
>>
>>49039178
Did you miss the bottom half of my comment where I pointed out examples of how not to use it?

Did you not see a specific example and assume because I didn't exhaust the entire range of possible abuses I was saying that one is okay?

Did my tone of "use it properly but for the love of fuck don't not use it" not convey to you that, perhaps, I might not condone the use of wanton PC-murder?

Are you just trying to argue about nothing?

Also nigga what the fuck is a cutscene players always have the option of saying what their characters are doing.
>>
>>49039147
This.

The guy has been making entire threads worthless with his autism. At no point has he been banned no matter how much content he vomits, no matter how frequently it goes on.

He is a legitimate shitposter and troll, but is totally ignored.

Conversely, you post a single pastel coloures fucking horse? Banhammers all around.
>>
>>49038088
Name the superpowers he needed to defeat the dragon.
>>
>>49039140
Why not do yourself a favor and use a system that supports that kind of playstyle?
>>
>>49039226
Charm Serpent?
>>
>>49039061
> Burst rope bonds strength check is 23

Look at that, an adult black dragon could just barely burst rope bonds.

And, once again, the dice roll for the knives is just to see if they stick in.

Adult black dragons are listed to be 60 ft..

A kitchen knife is about 1 foot, or 1/60th the size of the dragon, so just over 1 inch long. I mean, I feel a bunch of 1 inch fishhooks might be enough to restrict your movement.

So, yeah, I still feel it's reasonable to have the knives deal no HP damage but still manage to stick into the Dragons wings and shit.

Hey, quick question if it's 5E, isn't there no longer Damage Reduction and it's been simplified to Damage Resistance, which just halves the damage from whatever source the creature has resistance from?

Don't have the 5E books, so if someone could weigh in on that.

>>49039059
I remember when that story was told, and everyone was "ohhh, so clever".

>>49039052
I'm actually not a huge fan of D&D, pretty sure the original thing I was contesting was someone complaining that making their own mechanics for shit was too fucking hard so I just shit something out that would be reasonably difficult to succeed but still possible.

Less to defend 3E and D&D, more just to argue. I enjoy it. Also because it's fun coming up with ways to do shit when there aren't explicit mechanics.

Sadly, I'm not even getting valid criticisms just people bitching that DR always applies, possibly getting it wrong as of 5E, ignoring that the rolls they're bitching about weren't even for damage.

The claim that there are already mechanics to deal with the Dragon getting entangled (or just breaking free? IDK. I honestly haven't played for a while, and don't have the books at my place to trawl through. I'm willing to buy, but honestly for D&D I prefer to let the DM have all that on hand.) Fair enough, and I would definitely say use those.

Otherwise it's just the worst kind of rules lawyering.
>>
File: 1461179110139.jpg (22KB, 432x417px) Image search: [Google]
1461179110139.jpg
22KB, 432x417px
>>49039251
>so I just shit something out
Yeah, we could tell.
>>
>>49039231
D&D does. It always did. It's plainly written in the rules. In the beginning chapters, even.

Just because most people choose to ignore it doesn't mean it's not there.
>>
>>49039231
Pretty much every RPG since AD&D has indicated that this is how things are done, though. The idea that the rules are secondary to everyone having a good time and telling a good story together is a cornerstone of the hobby.
>>
>>49039217
Not him, but "cutscenes" in rpgs are when rolls aren't involved and everything falls under what the GM wants to happen in that moment, so players have zero agency.
>>
>>49039265
Do us all a favour.
Not just you, everyone.

When you see this cunt. >>49039251
Report him.
He is a fucking shitposting troll who utterly fucking decimates threads.
>>
>>49039191

The system's design determines the way that the game will be played by default.

ShadowRun's rules are designed with the idea that while the PCs are extraordinary people who are still susceptible to dying to gunfire.

Paranoia's rules are designed with the idea that the players know nothing and are constantly looking over their shoulders to make sure that they don't do anything suspicious in front of the computer.

Apocalypse World rules are designed with the idea that the players are characters in a post-apocalyptic setting like Mad Max or Water World where survival is not just a matter of securing supplies but also protecting yourself from other survivors, knowing that you're basically living on borrowed time and when shit goes wrong, it goes wrong!

In 3.PF, the system is all over the place. The classes are supposed to be evenly matched yet having magic makes you better than the classes that don't, a lot of options are worthless in the grand scheme of things, combat can take hours if you're dealing with something that's either too durable or has too much health, and overall it just ends up becoming a system that's more focused on mages than Mage: the Awakening, a game that's built around people being a fucking mage.

I mean sure, you could say that 3rd edition offers customization in the form of splats and houserules, but not dissimilar to the likes of Skyrim, why would I play a fundementally bugged game where there are other games I could play that serves the same purpose (i.e. a game where PC's are extraordinary people surviving in a world where monsters exist)?
>>
>>49039251
>Hey, quick question if it's 5E, isn't there no longer Damage Reduction and it's been simplified to Damage Resistance, which just halves the damage from whatever source the creature has resistance from?
Yeah. There's damage immunity and vulnerability so damage reaction is more like pokemon now where you get 2x damage, 1x damage (most of the time), 0.5x damage and 0x damage based on what happens.

Some of these need tweaking (like the sheer number of things flat out immune to nonmagical damage) but otherwise it's fun.
>>
>>49039267
>>49039273
As I said, why not use a system that actually supports those ideas? D&D punishes you for straying too far from its rules by not providing you with anything that could guide you towards an easier and more fun time.
>>
>>49039251
Yeah, 5e damage resistance is half damage rounded down, so you can deal 0 damage if you roll a 1 for example.

Unless you have heavy armor master feat which reduces any damage taken by penetrating, slashing and bludgeoning by 3. Which is pretty much DR 3/whatever
>>
>>49038404
Yes, they should, fug your Int 40 shit.

>>49038568
I can guarantee that 99% of your posts are shitposts.

>>49038650
It's not that easy but I appreciate acknowledging the problem.

>>49039023
Fun can be had even with bad systems. More fun can be had with better systems.

>>49039160
>The problem with D&D as a superhero system
...is that we can't even agree where the transition from hero to superhero lies.
>>
>>49039273
Yup. Simple homerules are usually encouraged too if the GM wants to put a randomness factor into play.
>>
>>49039273
Except in a case like this it would be "rules are secondary to the DM's railroad"
>>
>>49039316
Who ever said I need something to guide me towards a fun time? I have personal initiative and players with whom I can functionally communicate.

Honestly using a published system at all is just to streamline things instead of making up my own rules. Whatever they wanna play we're gonna play that.
>>
>>49039052
>a shitty "I hate D&D bait thread"
>GOD THE D&D PLAYERS ARE SO TERRIBLE

Get fucked. You and your friends are such dumb trolls, it's amazing you're even still trying to argue.
>>
>>49039336
Cycle back to my original post, >>49039140

Read that last paragraph. Read the last sentence a good three or four times because you apparently have trouble thinking independently.

Apply it to all forms of rule override.
>>
>>49039336
>Railroads are always a bad thing
You have never DMed.
>>
>>49039316
It doesn't punish, it focuses the play in a particular direction. That's not the same. It's not a generic system.
>>
>>49039114
Dude, I came in at >>49037456

So over half-way in.

And hell, I'm not really defending D&D or 3E as a "perfect system".

It's a system, like any other, designed for a specific style of play. It clearly has limitations when it reaches higher levels and it's abstract representations of things like health and healing and endurance, damage reduction or resistance now I guess, etc get involved.

Actually I guess I have to say it IS flawed, D&D should never go above level 12 at most for PCs and fighting higher CR like Dragons and shit shouldn't be about doing enough damage to their health because of the issues D&D has with higher values of health and saves and DR and all that shit, but should be about surviving long enough to enact a plan to kill it somehow, with it being represented as an intelligent foe that has to be tricked and has chances to spot the trap, forcing players to pick between plans that are riskier for the PCs, or are otherwise "expensive" in materials or time while the Dragon wrecks shit, or are less likely to work.

Or do use a bunch of dudes with sharp shit, but instead of HP use wounds or something FFS.

"DR is the same regardless of where it is" Like come the fuck on.
>>
File: 1442575031852.png (17KB, 120x91px) Image search: [Google]
1442575031852.png
17KB, 120x91px
>>49039340
>Honestly using a published system at all is just to streamline things instead of making up my own rules.
>Who ever said I need something to guide me towards a fun time?
You spent your time on the rulebook, so clearly you need something to guide you towards a fun time. There is no reason to use D&D when you want to play a narratively driven game over a dungeon dwelling one.
>>
>>49039365

If it's not a generic system then why do so many 3.PFags go out of their way to come up with ways to make it do everything?

FFS, there are official rules in PF for fucking augments and alien technology, 3rd edition stopped trying to figure out what it actually was a long ass time ago.
>>
>>49039331
>My 10 int fighter should be able to outsmart a 40 int dragon
No, it shouldn't. Either you use dumber dragons or no. A dude with IQ 60 isn't be able to outsmart someone with IQ 160.
>>
>>49039370
Just report him.
Shitposting trolls should be banned, not tolerated or engaged with.
>>
>>49039378
I'm not buying your homebrew not!dungeonworld, Jeremy. Stop trying to make me get a new system just so you can shove it down my throat.
>>
>>49039364

If the players notice the railroad, you're doing it WRONG!

Not to say it doesn't get thrown around willy-nilly but you shouldn't railroad to the point where players notice it and are pissed off because you shunted them towards a place they never wanted to be.
>>
>>49039405
I don't disagree with anything you said here.

The idea that all railroading is inhernetly wrong however I've noticed is held almost exclusively by those who play but never run.
>>
>>49039226
depends on which tale/song you draw on. in one he just waited in a hole in the ground until the dragon was right above him. i know what the average gm would do to a party that came up with that plan to defeat a dragon

>>49039244
he had high charisma, yes. supernaturally high? probably not. near normal human limit, probably.

>>49039140
no, it's not a bad thing. but it's equally valid to come to the conclusion: the rules of this game do not accurately enough reflect the "physics" that I would like my game (world) to have. seperating meatpoints and luck allows for more precise control without any major drawbacks.
>>
>>49039388
>Either you use dumber dragon
That's what I was saying.
>>
>>49039382
I'm more of a 2nd edition person. Anyway, maybe it's because the D20 System is more than just D&D now? Some rules get exported from other things like D20 Modern (which includes sci-fi shit), maybe?
>>
>>49039378
There certainly fucking is my friend, and I'll tell you what that reason is.

I don't need help with my narrative. I don't need help adapting a setting to be what my players want. I don't need help figuring out what kind of NPCs my players will want to help or hurt instead of just swinging my GM dick around to make them help or hurt them. I don't need help making a story, changing a story because something unexpected happened, keeping tone or changing it when it's necessary. I don't need help deciding the PC who spent a bunch of effort and resources sneaking up on the VIP in his mansion isn't going to have to roll HP damage to slit the fucker's throat. I can do all these because I'm an average mid-rate GM.

Meanwhile, I couldn't give less of a shit about figuring out the rules for dungeon crawling and non-narrative combat, where the fun comes from using the rules to exploit a fun level with challenging enemies in it. The RPGs I use tend to be better at being used for that end. I'm not autistic enough to have something in mind to facilitate all of these on the fly.

Enter my crunchy combat RPGs with little narrative direction.
>>
>>49039424

As someone who has run games for years now, I can safely say that railroading is by far THE shittiest thing you can do to your players.

It's one thing to say "oh, well I planned for X to happen here..." but it's another thing to say "X is going to happen HERE and if people don't go here, campaign grinds to a halt!"

At least with the former, a good GM will move the event to where the players are going so that they aren't stuck wandering around the sandbox until they follow up on that quest marker.
>>
>>49039400
He's right though. D&D's strength lie in the character optimization realm. The many monsters, the many magic items, the many ways to build your PC, that kind of thing. It is geared more towards the gamist than the narrative or the simulationist end of the spectrum.

D&D is a gamist system.

And no fantasy RPG will ever beat it in that "niche" (in quotes since it is the biggest "niche" in the market by far). Any game that tries to is bound to end up as a fantasy heartbreaker (not counting direct derivatives like PF). Kill monsters, loot items, level up.

That is where D&D excels.
>>
This entire thread is dumb. Everything the DnDfags suggest in this thread has, is, and will be unsatisfactory to the antiDnDfags, and all antiDnDfags do in this thread is bitch about DnD being unrealistic or suggest some obscure system that "get's it right." If you think DnD system sucks, then play a different system.

Also,
>Ctrl F
>...
>21 instances
>1 of them is a long filename
>21 are non-ironic
>>
>>49039486
>a good GM will move the event to where the players are going so that they aren't stuck wandering around the sandbox

And that is also railroading.

Your assumption that all railroading equals a strict linear progression where player input is meaningless is only the most extreme end of the scale.

The point is that to a degree, all GMs railroad. The difference isn't if the railroad exists or not, its how little the players notice it.
>>
>>49039265
Hey. Look, pal, tell you what. Next time you are playing with some friends and they go "Hey, let's try and kill a dragon as farm-boys"

You can say "no, that's fake and gay, let's not" and then do nothing.

I'll be pretty okay with saying "Sure thing, could be fun. You guys come up with a plan, I'll come up with ways to see how well or if something works. You're trying to kill a dragon, so the rolls are gonna be pretty hard when it happens though, unless you get really lucky with your set-up giving you bonuses and not failing."

>>49039267
I tried hard to avoid claiming this, but yeah rule zero.

>>49039294
Not sure what you mean, I'm not even calling people autists and shit. Do you mean "Disagreeing with you"? Like damn son.

>>49039310
Cool, good to know. I actually looked up the 5E Adult Black Dragon, it just says it has immunity to acid but there's no mention of DR for other types of damage?

Anyways, I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue DR when my original point was that it's not hard to whip something together mechanically to challenge your players, and that you shouldn't see "not covering every possibility possible in detail" as being a reason to criticize a system, D&D or not.

No system is ever going to be able to cover every situation, definitely not in detail. Personally so long as a system has reasonably balanced straight combat, enough diverse enemies to be re-skinned or balanced NPC antagonist classes that I can plan for my parties level, I actually prefer being able to spin up unique mechanics as I feel appropriate for unusual events. Shake it up a bit, move what could be a long and drawn out combat at a faster pace to put the pressure on, do fun things like have time limits for decisions, or give IRL challenges for bonus successes or to re-roll failures.

I am honestly kind of confused people GM this game that don't like doing those things.

Different strokes I guess.
>>
>>49039520
>21 "...'s"
Sorry, made a mistake. 24 of them as of this post.
>>
>>49039465
>I don't need help with my narrative.
Yes, but RPG systems certainly can get in the way of a specific vision. RPG systems define the "physics" of a game world. I have experienced this many times in various systems. A good narrative system will get less in the way of a narrative focused playstyle than a gamist system.
>>
>>49039453

Every d20 variant is just 3rd edition with a new coat of paint and a few gimmicks to create the illusion of uniqueness.

I can safely say d20 is okay for dungeon crawls since the abstraction keeps the game moving along, it's still shitty abstractions mind but at least it moves the plot along.

But if you go beyond that niche, you run into issues, specifically because D&D was never meant to go beyond a dungeon crawl setting.

That isn't to say that there probably aren't rules to address these concerns somewhere but I'm talking about D&D, right out the box, based on the default rules and not special/optional rules that were probably added on in passing.
>>
>>49039530
Report the autistic shitposter.
Hide the autistic shitposter.

Make /tg/ better.
>>
>>49039520
We're passionate about our hobby and are debating the pros and cons of the most popular product in this hobby. Do you have any meaningful contribution?
>>
>>49039530
>Cool, good to know. I actually looked up the 5E Adult Black Dragon, it just says it has immunity to acid but there's no mention of DR for other types of damage?
IIRC dragons pretty much only have their elemental immunity. But shit like iron golems are immune to nonmagical weapon damage, which translates to "a giant monster the size of a building hits this living statue the size of a man with claws that can rend steel like it was paper. The statue gives not a fuck."

It's rad but there are extremes where you need to look at the rules, say fuck it and say the statue's fucking toast (or at the very least having immunity scaled back to resistance), regardless of the RAW.
>>
>>49039530
>rule zero
>Mutants & Masterminds is notable for having a game mechanic for Rule Zero called "Gamemaster fiat". The Gamemaster is permitted to arbitrarily create setbacks to keep his story on track (such as having a hero slip and fall if he's about to catch the bad guy long before the adventure says he should) but requires that the Gamemaster award the hero a hero point (which players can spend later on to perform impressive feats normally beyond their abilities).

Noice.
>>
>>49039528

Railroading is only when the plot progresses without, or in spite of, the player's wishes.

Moving an event to a place where the players wanted to go is not railroading, because the players are choosing to go to a place and you're choosing an event to occur when they get there.

And keep in mind, I'm not talking about something like "First it'll be X, then Y, then Z" but more like "I know X might happen if the players do Y at least but I'm not sure how things will go beyond that."
>>
>>49039644
That particular definition...
>Railroading is only when the plot progresses without, or in spite of, the player's wishes.
...seems unique to you pal.
>>
>>49039661

That's because, not dissimilar to term "mary sue," people misuse it and it mutated into "GM won't let me do whatever I want, what a fag."
>>
>>49039528
I can see where he's coming from though.

There's a difference between recycling and reskinning people places and plans, as opposed to outright No's or auto-fails, or worst of all DMPC cut scenes - does not count if players decide to call in a favor or have somehow intentionally set it up.

That being said, I have myself run short games on actual rails. After being an adult and talking to my group about it and getting everyone on board. Usually more political games, where each person selects a pre-made character with a specific goal, resources, reputation, and "style".

Actually we ran that one three times now, I only was DM for one.
>>
>>49039685
Yeah, that much I can agree on.

Hence my initially saying that the people who complain about it usually don't understand the necessity for a DM to maintain some degree of control over the world.
>>
>>49039644
Railroading isn't a bad thing.

>playing CoC with friends
>I think railroading is bad so I don't do it
>players go to interrogate an old woman at her house
>when they mess up their rolls and don't get any info, they tie her up and try to tortur the info out of her
>her screams make the cops show up
>all the players died in the shootout against the cops
>died in a blaze of glory

Fun game for them, a nightmare for me. Some players SHOULD be kept in check and railroaded until they get the hang of what roleplaying is all about.
>>
>>49039694
I agree mostly, but...
>outright No's
...sometimes you just have to. Especially with newer players. Let's say 4 out of the five group members get the way the setting works, but the fifth dude is just insistant on trying to kill the freakin pope.

Now sure, in an ideal world you should play out the attempted assassination, show player five his actions have consequences. But if the other four are going to suffer and be bored shitless...? Just tell the idiot no.
>>
>>49039708

I don't even regard their opinions as anything other than whining, usually because the people who spout this the most are the types of social pollutants who try to kill/rape/torture every NPC in sight and say "RAILROADING!" when *gasp* the local town guard confronts them about the fourteen dead bodies lying on the street right behind them.

My general rule of thumb is, if you accuse me of railroading when I respond to your stupidity, you get the boot. People will say I'm being harsh or unfair but people who engage in this sort of behavior aren't really people who I'd want to play with anyways.
>>
>>49039624
I hated that so much in the game I played, GM kept fucking us and giving us hero points, that later he'd ignored to keep fucking with us to give us hero points. Basically spending a hero point meant that you'd fail and get another hero point.
>>
>>49039624
Pretty sure that is in D&D since the beginning.

I mean, Gygax gets a bad rap because of his tournament play where most people dealt with him, also Tomb of Horrors. And also D&D alignments.

But when you read about the games he played privately with friends, it's a whole 'nother story. His group pretty much was never at the same level (gasp! Try starting your players at different levels) and while they often rolled for casual games, they also did point buy to play specific and usually silly builds, like having fun RPing a functionally non-verbal character and then explaining his reasoning after misinterpreting actions.

They were very invested in exploring the settings, both lore wise and also literally, it's where we get the 10 foot pole and such from.

Gary pretty much never said "no" to his players trying ideas. Pretty sure he wouldn't say DR applied to, say, the eyes of an enemy so you could try to stab it there but it would be a difficult roll indeed.

Unless it was like, a magical protection. Because you know, magic.

Even Tomb of Horrors was made because his players wanted a meatgrinder. I think they actually made it through without dying too, because they were paranoid and cautious.

Well, without anyone important dying. Pretty sure one guy just flooded the tomb with hirelings or some orc army he had somehow until they found all the traps.
>>
>>49039771

What's the big deal?

They died, sure, but you could always just take the material you didn't use and use it for another campaign.

It would also help not to play with shitters but hey, that's just me.
>>
>>49039777
Well, you and I seem like we come from a similar school of playoing pretend. With the exception that if the player is a total newbie, I'd try to teach the bad habit out.

But if they are a player with experience...yeah, not wasting my time.
>>
>>49039794
That is a bad GM abusing a good rule.
>>
>>49039794
I'm pretty sure a GM can't use the Fiat rule when Hero Points are involved on the PC's side. Maybe it depends on the edition of the game?

But, if you have to use fiat that much, your adventure is broken anyway. If I was the GM, I would let the PC win, but turn the bad guy into some sidekick to the REAL bad guy (that I would make up later.) It's still railroading, but it's less in-your-face.
>>
>>49039811

It doesn't change the fact that the rule is that easily abusable.

I mean, having a character automatically fail their attack rolls 5% of the time sounds like a good idea too, until you meet a GM who makes you stab yourself or your friend in the back because of it.
>>
>>49039772
Well, I mean that's the other extreme right there.

Personally I feel that even then a No isn't necessary. Dudes character absolutely has to go do this? Right now, before handling shit with his party and resolving that quest, which maybe could have even at some point offered him a shot at the pope if it somehow was workable?

Then his Character can still do that. However the Party is going to carry on with their original plan, and he's going to have to roll up a different character to go on with them.

Maybe they'll hear about his character's journey to kill the pope. Hell, maybe one day if you have time you can do 1v1 and play it out with him, where he tells you his plan from start to finish and you set up the challenges and roll for his enemies and have a gay old time seeing if he can do it.

But right now everyone is doing this other thing, and he has to stop being a dick and decide if he actually wants to play with you guys or if he wants to go home and write a book.

> GM kept fucking us and giving us hero points, that later he'd ignored to keep fucking with us to give us hero points.

I don't . . . . you got hero points for getting fucked, and spending them made you fail things? What?
>>
>>49039798
>It would also help not to play with shitters but hey, that's just me.

One of the player actually put a grenade in the old lady's toilet at one point and made her sit on it...
>>
>>49039869
All rules are easily abusable when one o!layer has supreme control of reality and can literally ignore the rules if need be.

So yeah, while bad rules are a thing, this really was just a bad DM.
>>
>>49039794
>the heroes keep slipping and tripping as they try to chase the BBEG
>this happens every encounter
Your GM is a comedic genius.
>>
>>49039870
>get fucked
>get hero point
>use hero point
>GM uses fiat rule to make you fail and gives you a hero point
>>
>>49039870
>I'm not saying no, I'm saying roll up a new character.
Yeah, again, new player. I'd rather just tell them no, explain why its a bad idea and not waste time for the other players.
>>
>>49039917
So, no loss?
>>
>>49039917
so, as a net, you got fucked and earned a hero point for that. that is kinda the idea? what am I missing?
>>
>>49039927
Yes. The loss of getting shit done.

>my punch makes enough damage to knock out Doctor Fatality!
>Take a Hero Point, as the Doc is able to duck your puch and use his rocket pack to escape before you can do anything
>later
>I use a Hero Point to shoot Doctor Fatality with my LazerFingerz with enough force to put him in a coma!
>take a Hero Point, Doctor Fatality is able to dodge you fingerz beams and use his magically charged bobsleigh to fly off before you can do anything
>>
>>49040000
nice quads. well, it's still shitty GMing then.
>>
>>49039897
I haven't played M&M - is this what it would be like, or is this just the best of possible worlds here?

Because I can think of several ways to work in a reasoning for it to occur a lot, that would be various degrees of frustration in game, to frustration IRL when the players finally found out.

Well, thematically fitting from what I've read of the setting. But I gotta say, I'm not sure how much it would be abusing rule zero.

Like, could a villain have a superpower that made everyone be hypnotized into doing Benny Hill bits with him? Or actual luck powers, like Squirrel Girl where they can "steal" their allies Hero Points, or trigger their disadvantages to generate HP but get it themselves instead, maybe cribbing that one inspector from AGP? Or have a scientific Macguffin that has technobabble that causes these occurrances to whomever is holding onto it at the time?

you know, the kind of thing where they get more frustrated and hopefully figure it out before making a "That GM" post here, and instead do a greentext story.

Or ideally never come here at all.
>>
>>49040000
Oh, you're just one of those players who never DMs and gets salty about not having supreme control.

Because a super villain getting away inexplicably is pure comic book. You complaining about a comic book style game having comic book tropes...? Its kinda odd.

>>49040019
I'm not so sure about that now.
>>
>>49039917
But I mean, can they use fiat failure on an action you used a hero point to succeed at?

That seems kind of hard to spin in the narrative without seeming just kind of pointless.

As opposed to
> Get fucked
>Get Hero point
>Use Hero point to get unfucked
> Take one step forward and get double fucked by fiat rule.

Like a guy who is afraid of reptiles, he walks into a place and it's just constant snakes building up. An inflatable snake pops up in his face and he hits it, popping it reflexively and getting gassed, but using his hero point from his fiat failure to not freak out to be unaffected. Steps forward and another snake pops up and he fiat fails to not freak out and hops backwards - into the balloon remains of the first fake snake and falls down. Gets up, and uses his hero point to move the second fake snake out of the way.

Takes another step, hears a hiss, turns out that the second snake wasn't fake.

And so on, next is a snake, and two doors, that you let him avoid but doing so makes him fail walking into a snake hanging from the door. Or he forces himself to go by the visible snake, and there's a second snake in that door too for a fiat fail.

Like, is that sort of how it would go for how >>49039897 described it?

I'm honestly a touch unclear about "disadvantages" and what they are vs. complications, and how they exist to create hero points. Are disadvantages just another term for Fiat failure?
>>
>>49040037
Being blocked from ever doing ANYTHING is fucking shitty, you goddamn retard.

A game above all is meant to be fucking FUN.
>>
>>49040037
He clearly is ok with rolling, and that isn't supreme control.
>>
>>49040172
Ummm, you gave two examples of bad guys getting away... Which is fine as part of the genre.

I never said being blocked from doing anything, did I? You need to word your posts better. If you mean ypou were never allowed to do anything, say that. Not that the baddie got away and it made you sad.

>>49040203
Wut?
I'm not sure you understand.
>>
>>49040228
You are one dumb motherfucker.
>>
>>49039920
I mean, for a new guy I see what you mean, Even for a not new guy, talking like adults is step one.

I was just saying that if dude tries to use the "It's what my character would do" excuse, then you don't have to say no to the character, just the player.

Then again, I'm not particularly opposed to having players switch out characters if they want. Obviously so long as they aren't abusing it, unless they have some sort of plan based on it and are REALLY good at both roleplaying that and making balanced characters.

Sort of did that once, had a player who was super erratic with their schedule. Always kept up to date on campaign notes though, and fucking loved to make characters and act them out. he played an entire mercenary company for our Dark Heresy game, where we would have the option to hire on help for the sessions we were available. Pretty much he'd give us a selection of "specialists" to chose from, a couple of times the GM also had him play random characters we met when he couldn't make the beginning. Fantastic actor.

But yeah, it's no fun being forced to play a PC you don't want to be playing, especially for a newbie. Easier by far to just finish the session for then to not waste time, then see what's most appropriate.
>>
>>49040244
For saying that tropes of comic books belong in a comic book game.

OK.
>>
>>49040228
Bad guys getting away is part of the genre? Like, sure once while setting up for their main plot, stealing a gizmo while you're busy protecting people and then running away.

But just having them always escape is, I mean not even Saturday Morning Cartoons have done that since the 80s dude. I guess it's one particular trope, but it's not a very good one.

Besides, it keeps you from set-ups for storylines like two villains meet in prison and hatch a plan, or heck even a prison escape as the most obvious one, or going to prison intentionally to free another villain for their skills or powers or even just love of a twisted sort. Going to prison, coming out Reformed(?) and being under suspicion while a crime spree occurs that follows their old pattern etc.

You can't just handwave it with "It's a trope, that makes it okay".

Any time you use DM fiat, I personally feel, it should be to set something up later. Otherwise it's just lazy rug-pulling. Seems to be a bit different in M&M since it gives Hero Points, but still don't use it on something as scene ending as "And the villain gets away!". Only use it to make a scene better, if not now then later.
>>
>>49040435
>But just having them always escape is, I mean not even Saturday Morning Cartoons have done that since the 80s dude

Not only is the Joker still alive, he fucking multiplied.

>You can't just handwave it as a trope

But that's exactly all it is.

If you're upset by a comic book game being like a comic book then perhaps you need a new game.
>>
>>49040363
No, for not following basic logic, you dense sack of shit.

>Mention the ST doesn't let the PCs ever actually accomplish anything
>Give two direct examples
>Whaaa, you're just mad you're not in total control!

Get fucked.
>>
>>49040503
You can't even keep your shit straight.

Joker gets caught *constantly*.

The complaint is against the PCs NEVER being allowed to capture people. You dumb motherfucker.
>>
>>49040523
Your two direct examples are of bad guys escaping.
In a comic book game.

Ypou are literally upset that you couldn't murder the bad guys, in a comic book setting.

Think about that.

>>49040539
>NEVER
>Twice
The way you and I measure "never" differs wildly.
>>
>>49040566
Because I'm going to keep typing up exmaples when two is pleanty, and I already said never? Suck my dick, faggot.
>>
>>49040698
>I already said never
First, where?
Second, you don't seem prone to hyperbole or emotional outburst at all.
>>
>>49040724
Your literal inability to read or follow conversation threads is no one's problem but yours.

Eat shit and die.
>>
>>49040782
You have real anger issues, kid.

If you meant never, perhaps you should have clarified that earlier on when you first made your point about how awful it was that your DM didn't let you beat a baddie to death in a comic book game.
>>
>>49040845
No one said anything about to death, Captain Strawshit. YOU are the one that started adding stuff like that.

Seek help. Or kill yourself. One or the other.
>>
>>49040922
It was implied STRONGLY that lethality was the issue. That or simply stopping them as a threat before their plan unfurled. Which again, is totally fine in a comic book world. You really don't stroke me as a reasonable player, more a bawling pissant That Guy.

Maybe its you who needs the help if you don't "get" such basic tropes of the games you pay.
>>
>>49040953
>games you PLAY
My bad
>>
>>49040953
>stroke me
Strike me, again, my bad.
>>
>>49040953
Jesus, you really, really can't fucking read.

No, there's nothing about lethality. You pulled that out of your fucking ass. It was, from the start, about the players getting cockblocked from being allowed to ever, EVER capture the guy. Not kill him. And before you screech and scrawl about m-muh comicbooks, villains get captured constantly in them. Some escapes? Sure. Constant, forever, never can get them? Fuck off.

Actually go READ, shithead. I'm done with you.
>>
>>49041027
Its amazing how one word ignored alters meaning.
In ypour case you missed...
>implied
Or chose to ignore it.
Or just continued to rage like the pretty much confirmed autistic That Guy you must be if the idea of villains escaping triggers you.

And captured? Meaningless, they just escape. Your DM obviously didn't want to waste time. I'm sorry it upset you, and I hope you find that ero MLP game you really want.
>>
>>49041074
>>49041027

Oh, and in B4 you pretend to be someone else defending you ;)
>>
File: 1455177519345.gif (152KB, 664x372px) Image search: [Google]
1455177519345.gif
152KB, 664x372px
>>49039388
>My 10 int fighter shouldn't be able to outsmart a 40 int dragon
A trickster adapts to his adversary, it doesn't simply rely on his int
>>
>>49041074
It wasn't IMPLIED. You goddamn, stupid sack of shit.

It never was. If you thought it was, all that proves is how fucking stupid you really are. Your inability to both spell and actually understand the words on the page only show how retarded you are.

Kill yourself, save us all the trouble.

Don't expect another reply.
>>
>>49041100
>I'm done with you
>Replies again
>Still mad
I'm glad I don't have you anywhere near my gaming table. I'm going to guess I'm not the only one who feels that having gamed with you. Those poor sods.
>>
>>49040922
I don't get the lethality thing? He specified knocking a dude out, and putting another in a coma? Nothing else was "implied" in the actions, it was pretty much just "I go to use power/finisher" "Haha, he gets away by using luck". No room for implications at all.

>>49040922
Hey, ignore that guy. I have relevant questions, namely DID your DM or whatever explain why he did this? Was that pretty much it, the end of the fight, or the end of the quest?

Like, are you essentially always fighting squirrel girl with a gimmick, and every villain does this? Or does he have some guys who are like, this is their "thing"?

Like they're mid-rankers who don't really do the big stuff, but get out at the right time so they actually make a living off of crime.
>>
>>49041187
Hey, I did inb4 this ;)
>>49041094
So fucking obvious.
>>
Fucking hell /tg/
>>
File: Fuckface.jpg (293KB, 1366x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Fuckface.jpg
293KB, 1366x1000px
>>49041212
Abloobloobloo, nigger.
>>
>>49041446
You realise this image proves me right? You missed a bit ;)
Fucking hell, enjoy your sweaty girl with chains gap material ypou hopeless cunt.
>>
>>49041498
How, exactly, does it prove you right you stupid cunt? If it proved you right, it would have 49041187 with a (you). It doesn't, so that's not me. Still can't into basic logic.
>>
>>49013941
These are all problems with the GM
>player doesn't feel threatened by guards because his character is hardy
You don't have enough guards. You also didn't scale up at all to deal with the player, obviously the guard captain in plate and regalia is there and you should describe him in such a way as to make a player think there's more to him and listen.

>falls off cliff and lives
Well if the falling damage rules aren't sufficient to kill the character then and apparently he was hitting outcroppings and grabbing at plants on the way down to slow the fall

>cart runs over head
Well after the dex check to get out of the way (you did give a check, right?) The character either escaped damage or managed to only get his limb caught.
>>
>>49041187
Anyway, to awnser your question: Because he was a shitty DM who loved powertripping and not ever letting the players actually make headway. Anytime we'd try something to capture, every single goddamn motherfucking time, they'd evade and escape, no matter what we did.

After the 5th time, we dropped his ass as a DM.
>>
>>49041559
Stop. This is shocking. You've barely covered your tracks.
>>
>>49041577
The samefaggotry is vomit inducing.

And its SO obvious you were the issue.
>>
>>49041586
>No actual reply
Concession accepted. Kill yourself.
>>
>>49041616
You don't even bother to edit out the other Yous that probe your identity or alter how you type in any way, shape or form.
I'd be fucking embarrassing if it weren't so funny.
>>
File: NWUe0YE.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
NWUe0YE.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>49041577
Yes, I get that you didn't like him, and it does sound like he was at best simply not good at DMing.

But what I'm curious about is what reason or rationale did he give when you confronted him about that? I can't see you having that happen and not going "That's fucking bullshit".

He's bad at it regardless, but I want to know how much to really dislike him.

And hey, maybe we can try to do better than him and come up with reasons that WOULD be acceptable, but he was too stupid to use.

>>49041564
Doesn't D&D have rules for dealing with certain level differences, ie mooks? So it's not like it's a coup-de-grace situation so you should be able to work through them narratively as well as by the numbers?

>falls off cliff and lives

>Well if the falling damage rules aren't sufficient to kill the character then and apparently he was hitting outcroppings and grabbing at plants on the way down to slow the fall

Reasonable. Also people don't always die from falls, your PC must have remembered to bend the knees. Also Superhero Landings.

> >cart runs over head

Actually, this happens IRL again without harm. They do it with cars even! Sure, a cart wheel has much less give and probably less surface area touching, but with decent speed whatever.
>>
>>49041639
>>49041616

Wait. Which one of you is which again? >>49041187
was me, who is neither of you.

But whoever ran the game, answer >>49041711

and stop shitposting with a troll. Guy is clearly just saying shit to piss you off.
>>
Nice to know my bait thread actually made it to autosage. Good thread guys.
>>
>>49041742
Even bait can have something of worth to discuss.
>>
>>49041741
Too late.
>>
>>49041711
He didn't give one. He refused to give one. That's why we walked. He refused to just actually talk with is, or accept that we weren't enjoying it and maybe things should change.

So. Rather then cause a fit, or not have fun, or any other stupid shit, we stopped using him as a DM.

And frankly? There is no reasonable excuse for it every single time. It was pure fiat, every. Single. Goddamn time.
>>
>>49041792
>player entitlement: the post
>>
>>49041813
Yes. I'm entitled to not have my time wasted. I'm not enjoying a game, and the DM doesn't wish to change it in any way? I tell him I'm leaving, and then I do so.
>>
>>49041855
>Any time I don't get my way is a waste of time
That explains why your interaction with everyone has been that of a spoiled brat.
>>
>>49041870
That's nice.
>>
>>49041893
You can't really deny it lad, you had one guy suggest you weren't blameless and you lost your shit. From an outsider's perspective, I'm inclined to think you may have a few That Guy tendencies and that you're vastly overselling how much you weren't allowed to get away with whatever you wanted.
>>
>>49041944
Sure, of course. It couldn't be for the 'other guy''s dribbling idiocy or inability to read annoying me, nope not at all. Just some...outsider that happens to swing in on page 10, of course you are.
>>
>>49035457

You can just friggin' quote the posts you are refering to for benifits.

Glancing and trying to figure the basis with the lest effort possible.

Fate's ... Fate points are a reroll mechinic

Karma ... is EXP points,

Force Points are reroll mechanics with a better implementation of spend force to not die, by virtue of nothing having it be more painful then the 1d6.

Hell, some of these effects are in 4e as dedicated powers. (Deva have a force point that they can spend to buff skill check IRC.)

It's more like you want a universal system for luckiness/dice maniplutation not tied particularly to combat.

Which is fair, but already done in 4e (what with action points alt spends, as well as there being many sources for reactive buffs and extra dice. i.e. Essentials' Human's Heroic effort.)

No idea if 5e walked it back.
>>
>>49042010
Well, I'd hoped to come back to this thread after a nap. You and your buddy seemed to shit it up pretty well after the autistic 3aboo. You both seem like assholes, but I don't think he was wrong about you.

But sure, everyone who isn't on 'your side' is the same guy. Nice paranoia or possibly autism.
>>
>>49042096
Hey, what goes around comes around, faggot.
>>
>>49042126
I don't remotely see how that applies, but please feel free to sperg out and call me stupid for your inability to communicate properly. It seems a common thing for you.
>>
>>49042178
Oh, that's just delicious. Mr Kettle is on the line for you.
Thread posts: 457
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.