[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What a shit race, attracts the shittiest people too >muh beards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 16

What a shit race, attracts the shittiest people too
>muh beards
>muh axes aka piece of shit weapons that no military unit worth shit used (poleaxes and halberds were fucking polearms so they don't count)
>muh alcoholism
>muh grudges
>muh manlet

to think about it most of these traits reflect their playerbase as well
>>
>>48999257
Just get to posting kobolds or goblins or whatever it's going to be this time.
>>
>>48999257
>muh axes aka piece of shit weapons that no military unit worth shit used

Best melee units in history, Romans.

Romans got fucked on by germanic tribes.

Germanic tribes used axes.
>>
>>48999288
>germanic tribes used axes

you're fucking retarded they used spears and swords
>>
They're a race of petty nerds that live underground and distrust people who aren't smelly cave nerds.

Gee I wonder how anybody could relate.
>>
>>48999257
Butthurt elf detected.
>>
>>48999332
>you're fucking retarded they used spears and swords

You're fucking retarded, they used bones and clubs.
>>
File: typical elf.jpg (128KB, 768x1062px) Image search: [Google]
typical elf.jpg
128KB, 768x1062px
>>48999257
The alternative are elves, a race of warrior nobility dedicated to worshiping the patron gods of state.

Nobody on /tg/ is remotely as masculine as that.
>>
>>48999440
You're fucking retarded, they used fists and headbutts.
>>
File: 1456602517232.png (223KB, 405x797px) Image search: [Google]
1456602517232.png
223KB, 405x797px
>>48999257
Tieflings
Dragonborn
Kitsune
Drow
Aasimar
Kender
Cat-people

All lightyears worse than dwarves, both in-game and for the out-of-game players they attract.
>>
>>48999463
>You're fucking retarded, they used fists and headbutts.

You're fucking retarded, they used foul words and loud voices.
>>
>>48999474
You're fucking retarded, they used bad breath and rapid blinking.
>>
>>48999257
Dwarf players tend to be the friendliest and most reliable you can find. Dwarf favoring GMs also tend to be the fairest (to a fault, let's be honest) and least likely to weeb shit up.
>>
>>48999487
>You're fucking retarded, they used bad breath and rapid blinking.

You fucking retard, they'd use intimidating staring and thinking angry thoughts.
>>
>>48999514
You're fucking retarded. They used crude hand gestures and picking their noses in a threatening way.
>>
>>48999501
>Dwarf favoring GMs also tend to be the fairest (to a fault, let's be honest) and least likely to weeb shit up.
My current Gm is a massive dwarf fag, and he loves dwarves to the point that he actively punishes players through unfair combat and reduced rewards whenever they refuse to take part in his latest piece of dwarf-wank.
Express a negative opinion about dwarves, guess who's getting ambushed by kobolds who will suspiciously all attack you and only you?
Express a positive opinion about any non-dwarf race? Someone's getting reduced xp this session.
I'm rather invested in this game so I'll see it through but I don't think I'll ever play in a game run by this guy in the future.
>>
>>48999657
That's terrible. Your GM discredits the dwarfs with his behavior.
>>
>>48999257
Pretty sure polearms won't be so useful underground.
>>
>>48999257
Axes were actually pretty useful in shield walls for breaking down shields. Dwarves use shield walls all the time, since it's difficult to flank underground.
>>
>>48999940
They could still use fucking swords especially since they are master blacksmiths. And it's not like they fight underground all the time you shitlord.
>>
>>48999612

You're fucking retarded. They use passive aggressive body language and offensive flatulence.
>>
>>48999288
Romans didn't get fucked because of inferior weaponry, you retard.
They got fucked because fancy Testudo formations were unsuited for Germania's environment, whereas the natives excelled at combat in thick forestation.
>>
>>49000069
You are fucking retarded, They used the silent treatment and left whenever Romans enter'd the room.
>>
>>49000150

You're fucking retarded they used shitposting and proxies.
>>
>>49000150
You're fucking retarded, they used anonymous posts on a public message board and recursive humour.
>>
>>49000184
We did it reddit!
>>
>>48999257
Why not just call them "Nu Male" while you're at it?
>>
>>49000187
That is such a reddit response.
>>
>>49000145
Roman soldiers got fucked by alot of other soldiers really, they won in plain logistics.

When your army can rally after a defeat and be marching again faster than the enemy you're naturally going to win out in the War despite all the lost battles.
>>
File: 1467605682990.jpg (53KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1467605682990.jpg
53KB, 500x378px
>>48999464
>Literally listed off 90% of what you will see in a Pathfinder General topic.
>>
>>49000150
>Roman's getting cold shouldered by Germans

I can only image a bunch of German girls laughing at an Italian manlet.

>J-join my Empire
>P-please respond
>>
>>49000199
You're fucking retarded Reddit never aknowledges itself.
>>
File: 1299159889251.jpg (215KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1299159889251.jpg
215KB, 600x600px
>>48999257
> only knows the memes
> only knows D&D dwarves
> probably doesn't even know D&D's actual dwarf lore for greyhawk or faerun
> definitely didn't read tolkien
> probably doesn't read the GM's setting notes either
Stay mad man-child.
>>
File: 1387470811773[1].jpg (299KB, 1048x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1387470811773[1].jpg
299KB, 1048x1600px
>>48999657
> is a dwarf-fag
> is unfair and disrespectful
Not a real dwarf-fag.
its like weebs who want to be samurai but don't take the heads of their enemies as proof of their kills.
>>
>>49000004
Swords still need a fair bit of room to swing.

Plus in most settings they do do most their living and fighting underground. So if your setting deviates it's your incompetence that is responsible for them being incorrectly equipped.
>>
>>49000202
True, that's where the roads, bridges and on-the-go forts came in handy. Romans legions were highly maintained and mobile armies that almost acted like a living, self-sustaining organisms on their own.

If anything, their sense of structure and discipline (like even HAVING a professional army), coupled with their superior logistical power, allowed them to win many conflicts.
>>
>>49000423
Oh, I'm not saying the Roman's were not great Strategists and experts at Warfare.

They just got their shut pushed in like everybody else.

Warfare isn't about winning every battle, or even winning more battles than your enemy, it's making sure your losses are less impactful than your enemies.
>>
>>49000400
You can still stab with swords as well lmao
>>
>>48999257
At least they're not as bad as robots.
>>
>>49000400
>what are short swords
>what is stabbing

kill yourself
>>
>>49000451
Nah I'm agreeing with you mate, just elaborating on some of my thoughts. You're right again though; grand strategy > individual tactics
>>
>>49000462
>>49000479
Point taken, still not an argument against being predominantly focused on axes/picks and hammers.
>>
>>49000479
>What is leverage
A swung weapon will do more damage than a thrust weapon.
>>
>>48999257
>axes

This will never stop triggering my autism. Why would a subterranean race even have any axes, let alone use them as weapons of choice? Have these niggers never heard of SPEARS? Or SWORDS? Or fucking CROSSBOWS???

tl;dr-gas the Stunties, racewar now.
>>
>>49000519
Especially against heavy armor and with shit mobility.
>>
>>49000538
>Or fucking CROSSBOWS???
Isn't that generally the default dwarf ranged weapon in every setting?
>>
>>49000503
Axes can be refuted by using your own argument: There's not always enough room to swing.

Likewise, are caves usually narrow and crooked; you're certainly not going to have ample room to swing a polearm with, though stabbing could be possible in a long corridor.

Hammers are situational and don't deal well in all circumstances, not to mention that they require a lot of swinging too.

tl;dr if there's not enough room for sword swinging, then there's not enough room for polearms, hammers and axes either. But what CAN the sword do that the others can't? Stab.
>>
>>49000216
>Pathfinder General topic
Do PF players even see race? I thought all they saw was bonuses.
>>
File: bait.png (57KB, 625x656px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
57KB, 625x656px
>>48999257
>>
>>49000519
That's how it's like in Dark Souls?
>>
>>49000538
It's because dwarves are Not!Nordic in every setting, and therefore need to have axes as it makes thematic sense -- even though it doesn't make any *logical* sense.
>>
>>49000580
>The swinging arc of an axe is the same as a sword
You've never actually used either have you?
The arc for an axe is far tighter.
>>
>>49000580
>There's not always enough room to swing.
You don't swing an axe like a sword, it can be used without much mobility a lot more comfortably than a sword by not hacking from the waist and instead going from over the shoulder.

Plus I'm against polearms, among other things only using thrusting weapons will fuck you over when all your enemies get shields
>>
File: Weeaboo Fightan Magic.png (119KB, 222x221px) Image search: [Google]
Weeaboo Fightan Magic.png
119KB, 222x221px
>>49000597
I thought all they saw was fetishes and anime. It's basically Magical Realm General and /a/ in there.
>>
File: mofu.png (524KB, 928x1250px) Image search: [Google]
mofu.png
524KB, 928x1250px
>>49000622
What's wrong with kitsune foxgirls (male), Anon?
>>
Just make axes and hammers weapons of religious significance since they represent the dwarven gods of industry. Give them to nobles the way human nobles have a fancy sword, then make the standard weapon a short thrusting swords for stabbing from behind shields, and polearms and crossbows for holding defensive tunnels.
>>
>>49000580
Actually, it's far easier to swing an Axe in a confined space than a Sword.

This is why Boarding Axes existed and why two handed axes have existed in warfare FAR longer than Swords.
>>
>>49000606
Try physics kid.
Leverage applies more energy.
>>
>>49000580
>Hammers are situational and don't deal well in all circumstances
On the surface, being able to clear rock and fuck over people in heavy armor would be a lot more important in the generic fantasy Dwarven setting.
>>
>>49000255
No retard they use upboats and le reddit gold XD
>>
>>49000643
Actually, if you want to get technical, the Shortswords meme is pretty hilarious.

Dwarves are natural miners, most of the time they'll be in tunnels they mined through.

So clearly, they'll have enough room to swing a pick or mattock.

So the idea that Dwarves will be unable to swing an Axe is entirely pointless because they would naturally have plenty of room.
>>
Dwarves were the first to domesticate lava flows

they would build into mountains and harvest the hot magma.

sweet sweet magma baby yeah.
>>
>>49000622
Is it still magical realm and /a/ right now? >>49000417
>>
>>49000689
Judging by topic picture, yeah, probably.
>>
>>49000682
I hope for their sake they also discovered Asbestos around that time as well.
>>
>>49000665
It's true that there does seem to be a lot of assumption that dwarves are wriggling through tiny tunnels here. I suppose it depends on whether dwarves have a professional and properly equipped military or not.

Your average dwarf militia and conscripts are going to just pick up whatever tools they used and go to war with them, just like humans did.

The question is what would be the most effective weapons for an actual well-funded dwarven military to be supplied with. Would they stick with axes, hammer, warpicks etc. or would they go for something which makes it easier for dwarves to march in ranks and block off a tunnel the way that shield and shortsword (and crossbow) would?
>>
>>49000708
>march in ranks and block off a tunnel

I have a strange feeling this is somehow an awful Idea underground.
>>
>>49000708
If you want to block off a tunnel, you do it with a well built dwarven door.

The military will be fighting whatever breaks through in close quarters. Axes work better for that.
>>
>>49000665
>So the idea that Dwarves will be unable to swing an Axe is entirely pointless because they would naturally have plenty of room.

Depends on the unit. Dwarf warriors, definitely. But Dwarf Miners would almost certainly prefer stabbing weapons or gas/flame/explosive schenanigans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_warfare

Tunnel warfare is a fucking history of misery and terrifying conflict. Sites of major gold rushes are especially grim - a lot of Australian Gold Rush towns are built over the tops of dozens, if not hundreds, of dead miners who were killed in gang warfare over gold claims.

I can't even imagine that sort of pants-shitting combat.
>>
>>49000747
>Using gas,, flames and explosives
>underground
>in a tunnel
Maybe humans are stupid enough to do that, but not a race with centuries of mining knowledge.
>>
>>48999257
Dwarf players are usually loud, obnoxious, drink meme alcohol like rum and mead, unwashed and begrudge you for not playing a dwarf.
People who play human are still new or don't want to be there
People who play elves are either weebs or doing it to get a rise out of dwarf autists
Half orcs are the true patricians, they saw big angry rape babies and thought "yes, I want this to represent me"
>>
>>49000778
Possibly poison gas would be a great weapon for Dwarves, being resistant to it and it not doing much structural damage.
>>
>>49000799
Resistant =/= Immune, but yes with sufficient precaution I can see that working.
>>
>>49000778
Humans have centuries of mining knowledge too
>>
>>49000796
>Disliking Rum or Mead
I'm not a big dwarf fan myself, but Mead is great stuff and you are a faggot.
>>
>>49000812
I know the difference, not saying they run in dick first as they pump in the gas, just when shit goes wrong it's not as bad as your explosives or oil supplies going up.

Still, an ineffective army if they only rely on gas.
>>
>>49000819
A dwarf can have centuries of personal experience.
Also, mining isn't central to our entire species and culture.
>>
>>49000819
Per human?
>>
>>49000238
but chicks dig the italians
>>
>>49000837
I can see it being used on a particularly large hive of goblins to soften them up.
>>
>>49000825
I should have clarified, drinking rum or meadmto be like a pirate or a viking, because you can tell how their face scrunches up that they don't actually like it.

I drink Gin because I secretly long to be a rich old woman
>>
>>49000853
>but chicks dig the italians
Italian food and culture.

Chicks dig handsome rich men, so only a few Italians.
>>
>>49000778
>Maybe humans are stupid enough to do that, but not a race with centuries of mining knowledge.

Humans have been using exactly those methods to stunning effect in tunnel wars, mate-o.

Collapsing tunnels, flooding them, setting up dead-end rat traps filled with explosives.

These are the reasons tunnel warfare is one of the most terrifying kinds. Not to mention the sheer insanity of trying to keep a comprehensive map of the battleground.
>>
>>49000708
Wouldn't phalanx be best formation to fight in tunnels?
Phalanx and later pike walls were effective formations used by militarises around most of the world, and it's main weakens was being flanked.
Tunnels eliminate danger of flanking and archetypical dwarven stubbornness, hardiness and discipline combined with high quality heavy armour would allow dwarven phalanx to win against less drilled and lighter equipped goblin or orc one.
>>
>>49000863
Gin is pretty much only ever good in mixers. Rum and Mead however, whilst they do have certain fans who do it for perceived historical purpose, or LARPing, are just a good drink. Anyone who scrunches up their face over a smooth mead has no business drinking anything stronger than ale.
>>
>>49000897
Because The Phalanx would basically be immobile as fuck because Pikes in a confined space would be fucking retarded?

There is a reason why the Shieldwall was used much much much longer than the Phalanx.
>>
>>49000886
>Defending our homes from the giant tunneling worms.
>We collapse the mineshaft that took all of winter to clear out.
>They tunnel through.
>Eventually we destroy enough of our own fortress to bury our enemy under half a mountain of rock.
>No home now.
>>
>>48999257
Absolutely savage.
>>
>>49000897
>Bunching up altogether in tunnels.

That will only end well, certainly.
>>
>>49000899
>Dissing Ale

See; the problem here is people judging alchohols on per alchoholic content and not purpose.

Many Ales are made weak on purpose because their purpose is a refreshing drink to relax with.
>>
>>49000863
>>49000796
If you want to talk Meme Alcohol...
Absinthe.
>>
>>49000927

You wouldn't collapse it on giant tunneling worms. Collapsing works better on grobi.

For something like a worm, you'd want to drown it out - lure it under a river or a lake. See how well the fucker can swim.

Unless you're the sort of shitty dwarf who can't figure out his tunneling right and is liable to flood his own hold.

But you're not that retarded, are you?
>>
>>49000948
Absinthe is the exact level of stupidity >>49000943
describes.

Where the taste of the alchohol and the consumption of it becomes secondary to just being shit faced.
>>
>>49000943
Who's dissing ale? I love a good ale.

My point is that mead doesn't taste strong at all. Its smooth and warming, but not like trying to neck neat gin or something. I'm saying no one should have a strong reaction to mead unless their usual tipple is water.

>>49000948
This.
>>
>>49000952
>Drowning worms.

Assuming they're anything like their smaller kin that won't do anything.
>>
>>49000967
The amount of bloody permateens I used to know who drank it fucking neat... Mind you, the faggots with the sugar cube and the Absinthe spoons weren't much better.
>>
>>49000952
Are grobi a kind of goblin?

Even then, only reason you'd collapse is deny mobility to your enemy.
>>
>>49001002
Oh I drank Absinthe neat before, it was just at the end of the night when I wanted to say "Goodbye world"
>>
>>49001006
>Even then, only reason you'd collapse is deny mobility to your enemy.

Spoken like a true manling who has never set foot in a mine.

>>49000982

If they're big enough to be waging a war, I really doubt they have the capacity to breathe through their skin.

And even if they can, lava works just as well.
>>
>>49001006
Counter-mining - bust through into an enemy mine, lure them into attacking you, collapse your side-mine on their forces.

Basically ambush tactics in mine warfare.
>>
>>49001024
That's about all its good for, getting shitfaced. But if you got to all the trouble of the spoon, the sugar, the water, a lighter and all that crap to do it "right" it still tastes of ass.
>>
>>49001034
I know you're trying to do Dwarf Fortress memes but that doesn't make it less retarded.

I mean how could destroying our mineshafts for anything less than some super Drow army be a bad idea?
>>
>>49001034
>>49001053
Talking on the defensive, seeing as defending the homefront is the most basic purpose of a military.
>>
>>49001006
Historically when an enemy's tunnel was found it was usually destroyed by placing an explosive charge inside.

At least, it has been since we've had explosives.
>>
>>49001064
Never heard of any of that shit, is in an American thing?

Over here in bongland we "Do an Oscar Wilde" where we neck a little bottle and then get in trouble with the crown.
>>
>>49001006
>what is stoping?
>>
>>48999257
muh axes aka piece of shit weapons that no military unit worth shit used

What is the varangian guard?

Learn your history before spouting silly memes.
>>
>>49001098
Guard that got rekt alongside the entire empire.
>>
>>49001116
>Small kingdom outnumbered by vast hordes of unwashed barbarians

No shit, if Byzantium survived we wouldn't have half the problems in the world.
>>
>>49001116
This was surely because they used axes.
If they had only used swords, Byzantium would still stand proud.
>>
>>49001067
>>49001078

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_warfare

Most of my experience with the concept of tunnel warfare comes from the research done on the Battle of Ypres and the history of the Ballarrat Gold Rush, but most of what the article discusses is accurate.

If you're defending against mines, you counter mine and blow their shit up.

If you're attacking with mines, you're doing it to blow their shit up or down.

If you're fighting over ownership of mines, you resort to gas and fire. You only use explosives when you're planning on trapping someone underground and suffocating them out. That way you only have to excavate a little bit of the tunnel work, clean up some bodies and then get back to work.
>>
>>49001149
They were useless as fuck deal with it.
>>
File: 1438166512449.jpg (7KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
1438166512449.jpg
7KB, 223x226px
>>49000622
>implications
/a/ here (/a/ was always one person) - the pathfinder general is both utterly plebean and novice to a point, where the term newfag cannot begin to describe it. /a/ does not associate with base level fetishes and misuse of click bait, featuring cute (and occasionally smug) images of 2D inhabitants from any gender. Thank you for your time.

>>49000638
>kitsune foxgirls (male)
>kitsune
>foxgirls
>male
Seek helium, seasonalfag.
>>
>>49001149
They used swords as well idiot.
>>
>>49001164
The guard also accompanied armies into the field, and Byzantine chroniclers (as well as several notable Western European and Arab chroniclers) often note their battlefield prowess

Your opinion is useless as fuck, deal with it.
Obviously the facts are stacked against your dumb opinion, idiot.
>>
>>49000723
>>49000721

I dunno, I like the idea of tunnels carved to perfectly allow a dwarf tower shield. No space to go around, it's basically a door pushing the nasties back with the force of fifty dwarves behind it. Perhaps a small viewing slit, or a wedge in the side to poke a weapon through, but for the rest a smooth, unyielding wall of steel.
>>
>>49001184
Hurr what is obvious hyperbole.
>>
>>49001197
...Until a single support strut, bomb, magical blast, gas leak or large creature wipes out all the forces in the tunnel.
>>
File: small kingdom kek.png (500KB, 1092x732px) Image search: [Google]
small kingdom kek.png
500KB, 1092x732px
>>49001135
>>49001149
>>49001098
>take the best and strongest of norse warriors, group them up and make them your royal bodyguard.
>claim they are quintessentially Byzantine and a testament to the usefulness of axes
wew
also pic related for
>small kingdom
>>
>>49001198
Well seeing as you managed a word over 3 syllables I'm going to assume that was the intention.
>>
>>49001159
Didn't know they did that at Ballarat. Butte had similar tunnel warfare. Couple guys did get blown up but that was thowing dynamite rather than a set charge designed to break rock. They also tried to burn the rival miners with lye.

There was a kid in Ontario last week arrested for trying to tie a scheduled blast into the powder mag at the Bell Creek mine. Someone noticed the funny wiring and he got caught. Case proceedings are sealed so details are sketchy for now.

There's a guy in the historical general who posted a WWI mine skirmish rules set he's been working on, if you're interested, go over there and ask he'll probablynpost it agian.
>>
>>49000621
So in tight corridors and spaces how do you deal with shields.

Like the obvious is basically heavy shields, spears and gladius but what would you use to counter that?
>>
>>49001186
By the time varangian guard was useful it consisted of Saxons.
>>
>>49001234
>make a claim that is thoroughly debunked (OP)
>backtrack
>shift goalposts

/tg/ discussion in a nutshell

Axes are valid weapons. They are not the best melee weapons by far, but they fill their niche.
The claim that no great melee unit used axes has been debunked.

And I did not claim that the norse warriors were quintessentially Byzantine, please go back to /pol/ with your racially charged shitposting.

>>49001287
Yet long axes still saw use.
>>
>>49001277
Hammer, warpick, gas, oil or just fuck up their spears as their shit mobility will stop it being a threat.

Plus a gladius still won't be so good against heavily armored opponents. .
>>
>alcohol chat

Okay I've got one, jaegermeister, good drink or meme drink?
>>
>>49001218
We're talking about dwarves. Godlike masonry and tunneling skills are a given.
>>
>>49001314
Meme.
>>
>>49001317
So dm fiat when you realize it's a terrible idea.
>>
>>49001314
Depends on if you like it for what it is, or just like it.

For example, I genuinely like black coffee, not because I think I'm a cowboy or tough, but that's just how I like it, and it's only about 5 calories a cup.
>>
>>48999257
>Axes
>Piece of shit weapons
>Poleaxes don't count as axes

I think you're the one with an alcoholism problem, friend.
>>
>>49001524
Poleaxes were mostly used because of the hammer part not the actual axe blade.
>>
>>49001541
[Citation needed]
>>
>>49000925
Why would you need mobility in a tunnel?
You can only move forwards and backwards. So you not only need mobility you can't be truly mobile.
Only problem may be with transporting spears to place of engagement. But you don't need to use 10m spears, shorter works as well.
>>
>>49001554
It's common knowledge you amerifat shart in mart kike lover.
>>
>>49001571
[Citation needed]
>>
>>49001571
I'm a spaniard but thank you for the spontaneous granting of citizenship
>>
>>49001372
I used to like coffee, then the stuff I used to buy started to taste like boiled dirt. Also I put a sugar in because, I dunno my millenial tongue needs to be reminded of mountain dew or something
>>
>>48999940
>Narrow tunnels with no easy way to get flanked

Nah lad they sound great for underground
>>
>>49001085
Nah, its a traditional Parisian thing. Back mwhen Absinthe had actual hallucinogenic properties.

>>49001314
Its fine for very cold nights, but the second you use it for Bombs its a meme.
>>
File: Palu_08.jpg (636KB, 950x944px) Image search: [Google]
Palu_08.jpg
636KB, 950x944px
>>49001569
Plus spears (scaling bars) are a common tool in mines to knock loose rocks down from a safe distance so would be lying around everywhere
>>
>>49001617
Not really

If you try to go for a shield wall you'll just get the tunnel collapsed on you, wood is scarce underground, everyone seems to wear heavy armor reducing the effectiveness of just poking at them, hack the spear and it's pretty much useless, get completely fucked when your enemies find a way around you (as almost everything down there has some form of tunneling abilities) etc.
>>
If Dwarves live underground why aren't they blind or get blinded when they venture outside?
>>
>>49001727
Suspension Of Disbeliefâ„¢
>>
>>49001704
>almost everything down there has some form of tunneling abilities

Sure but how fast do you think tunneling though hard rock is? With explosives and hand drilling you can only advance about 6-8 feet per day. A goblin scratching at the walls with a pointy stick is going to be much slower
>>
File: Paizo does it again.png (20KB, 260x435px) Image search: [Google]
Paizo does it again.png
20KB, 260x435px
>>49000216
>>49000597
>>49000622
Pathfinder and it's general thread has nothing to do with Magical Realm, stop spreading slanderous lies.
>>
>>49001756
1-2 feet might be all it takes to get around you. Do you really want your military to rely on that not being the case?
>>
>>49001785
Wut

Either they're widening the tunnel by 2 feet to get around the shield wall which presumably you're not going to let them or they're going to need to tunnel completely around your outpost which will involve mobths of digging
>>
>>49001823
Because only one tunnel is in an area and all tunnels are at the same depth.

And even if there is it the problem is still just begging for fire or explosives.
>>
>>49001857
>It is.
>Not there is it
>>
Swords are boring.
>>
>>48999657
>Express a negative opinion about dwarves, guess who's getting ambushed by kobolds who will suspiciously all attack you and only you?
>Express a positive opinion about any non-dwarf race? Someone's getting reduced xp this session.

i doubt the truthfulness of your words
>>
If Dwarves are such beasts why Goblins keep trying to attack their shit?
>>
>>49001868
Your mother is a whore.
>>
>>49001884
If Dragons are such beasts why are all the plucky young 'uns attacking them?
>>
>>49001339
>I don't like your idea, so I'll just scream DM fiat instead of providing a counterpoint. Serves you right for having fun the wrong way.

Fuck off. It's a badass idea and hasn't been done before.

Kys
>>
>>49000863
I drink southern comfort bc I wanna own slaves
>>
>>49001921
Sorry, but 'indestructible flawless tunnels everywhere' is not a good argument. Might as well say all buildings should be skyscrapers because they're so indestructible.

And even then it's still no defense against sabotage.
>>
>lol just collapse the tunnel

It's not that easy you faggots

If you're actually fighting something you don't have time to set up demolitions of proper size to knock down a tunnel big enough to have formations in
>>
>>48999464
Does anyone even play Aasimars?
>>
>>49001987
Because every tunnel is very stable.
>>
>short
>foul temper
>never shaves
>lives in what basically amounts to a giant basement
>is greedy
>has a single-minded obsession with one or a few things
Is it any wonder that /tg/ identifies with dwarves?
>>
>49001947
Obviously not everywhere. But it's not inconcievable that such tunnels are prepared for defence. And if the attackers use magic, who's to say the tunnels haven't been strengthened and fortified by arcane means?

And skyscrapers aren't comparable to tunnels.
>>
Dwarf kingdoms tend to be rich so why the fuck are they all using axes which were poorfag weapons? I understand hammers have a cultural significance to them because of blacksmithing but I doubt there are many trees underground so there is no excuse to use that garbage.
>>
>>49002054
So seeing as magic is now on the table as soon as everyone clusters up to make a shield wall they then get fireballed or any other manner of AoE effects (hell, just flammable gas even).

And I used skyscrapers because it demonstrates the massive amount of time and energy you expect Dwarves to put into making their tunnels, it's wasteful. Better to reinforce large open caverns and the tunnels in the fortress.

Honestly, clustering up in close quarters is just not a great idea. Even worse in natural corridors (where the surely the majority of Dwarven fighting would take place) were simply walking en masse can trigger a cave in.
>>
>>49002060
I'm pretty sure that they usually have a pickaxe head on the reverse side of the axe.
>>
>>49002016
Every dwarven dug tunnel? Yes probably
>>
>>49002189
I'm sure they spend all their time and resources reinforcing every tunnel in bumblefuck nowhere outskirts of their kingdom.
>>
>>49002218
Me too!
>>
>>49001857
How are you going to do it so you:
a)Don't kill your troops?
b)You will not collapse only way of advance?
c)Your mining tunnel will not be blown up by dwarf mining squad? Remember dwarfs are master miners, they will outsmart most enemies in tunnelling ad explosive placement.

Suggesting that dwarf could use spear/pike/shield wall as basis for melee tactics does not means that combined forces doctrine is thrown out of the window.

Narrow front promotes use of heavy, drilled, unyielding troops acting as unit, that will break, rout and slaughter less disciplined formation, as their lack of mobility does not matter because you can not move outside of tunnel.
Two squads meeting in tunnel will lead to frontal charge and close range fight till one breaks and run away. Other tunnels are guarded by other squads or collapsed.

Also tunnelling ~2 feet means you tunnel in front of spear formation or inside of it, because formation have depth.
>>
>>49001302
>/pol/ boogeyman
What does race have to do with this? Take about projection. Byzantine and norse are cultures, not races.

My point was that you name the varangian guard; seasoned veterans who were hand-picked from the best and brightest the norse had to offer; of course they're going to be highly competent in combat, axe or not.

>''muh axes aka piece of shit weapons that no military unit worth shit used What is the varangian guard?'''
They weren't even a military unit lmao. Now eat a dick, faggot. You smugly tell people to learn history before spouting memes, yet can't even differentiate between culture and races. I bet you think all people in the Middle East are brown as well, right?
>>
>>49000423
in fact, they were so self sustaining that it was one of the major causes of its fall, and it formed its own nation.
>>
>>49002905
An ironic lesson on the dangers of compartmentalization, I suppose.
>>
>>49002148
If we're involving magic, there's no reason the shield couldn't be enchanted to be fireproof. And a skyscraper is in no way comparable to the dwarf tunnels. Tunnels would be an afternoon's work for your standard fantasy boozebucket dwarf, and smoothing it to accomodate a shield precisely would simply require an experienced craftsman. A tunnel dug through solid rock would have a miniscule risk of caving in.
>>
>>49002060
Cut down elves and their trees with the same weapon.
>>
>>48999272
It's going to be Dwarves. It's always whatever OP is hating on.

>Dwarf is bad
>no
>proceed to take bait and post a million dwarf pics

And that, children, is why OP is always a faggot
>>
>>48999487
>rapid blinking
If you talk shit about Lightning Eyes Technique, you will experience pain in near future.
>>
>>49002886
>weren't even a military unit

Weeeeeeew

I guess it must have been those other axe-wielding guys coming from Scandanavia and England that were fighting in the army in battles ranging from the Balkans to Sicily to Anatolia.
>>
>>48999332
>>49000145
Neither of you Mediterranean niggers know what franciscas are or what they do.
>>
>>48999657
>I'm rather invested in this game so I'll see it through
Good on ya for being the bigger man.
>>
>>49000334
>kid with a beard calling others "manchildren"
Go play miner, but don't come crying when you dig up something ugly again.
>>
>>49000606

Fuck no Estoc a best girl forever.
>>
>>48999257
>implying those are bad things
>>
>>49000538
>implying they don't cut down trees
>>
>>48999464
Forgot elves
>>
>>48999257
Our female player played dwarfs anytime we did fantasy, aside from the one evil campaign where the then-DM let her by an Illithid. Was cool, she ate some gnome brains :D

But yeah, this is obviously a very silly OP but it smells more like someone upset than bait so I'd just say that people in Dwarfs could also just seem them as the antithesis to prissy Elves. Most people who read fantasy lit quickly come to realize All Elves Are Dicks. Sometimes dwarfs are dicks, too, but it's less universal--there's more potential for dwarfs to be chill, and the alcoholism is a sign of comradery.
>>
>>49006392
>people in dwarfs
>just seem them as

Why am I so bad at words today? D;
>>
>>49004459
I'm not saying they didn't fight, you retard. But referring to them as ''a military unit'' just shows you don't know what the fuck you're on about.

A typical unit is a homogeneous military organization (either combat, combat-support or non-combat in capability) that includes service personnel predominantly from a single arm of service, or a branch of service, and its administrative and command functions are self-contained.

Varangian Guard were elite warriors hand-picked to serve as a company of bodyguards. Their primary function and reason for being was different, and they are NOT an example of standard warfare.
>>
>>49004489
I'm germanic, cocksleeve.
your point still has no bearing on the fact that the Romans lost due to inflexible tactics in an inhospitable environment. They didn't lose because ''they were up against guys with (throwing)axes''
>>
>>49006517
It's also worth pointing out Germans were led by traitor roman general.
>>
>>48999288
>Romans got fucked on by germanic tribes.
They got fucked because those filthy snownigger lazy borderhoppers migrated to Roman lands to get dat welfare and didn't contribute to civilization, refused to learn the local language and customs and outbred the local population.

I bet in 200 years, Germania in turn will be full of Syrian manbabies who will claim that suicide vests were the most powerful weapons in history.
>>
>>49006641
And by the time Rome fell most everyone in the army was German or some other kind of barbarian.
>>
Shitty dwarf players are the same as any other shitty X player: shitty.

I dislike dwarves because fucking nobody tries to think outside the box beyond stupid joke characters. Elves at least have a decent enough variety in popular interpretations where you might see more than just forest dwelling fuccbois with bows, but the stereotypical dwarf is exactly one type of character.

Again though, this is a fault of the player and not the flavor. If there were a race that I would hate on its own merits, it would have to be gnomes. Fucking nobody gives a shit about gnomes except for contrarian fucks because they have shitty pointless flavor that has to be shoehorned in because they're just a midget bastard child between dwarves and elves with a hefty dose of "excuse to be That Guy" thrown in out of the box.
>>
>>49007026
Yeah, pretty much why Rome fell. The last Roman emperor didn't fall because of some grand last stand where the Roman legions were cut down by barbarians and the emperor himself fell on the blades of his enemies. That's how the Byzantine Empire fell, that kept its Greek identity intact until the very end.

Western Rome fell because Odoacer decided that he no longer needed his Roman puppet, so he put the last emperor (Romulus Augustulus) in a monestary. We don't know when or how he died, because nobody considered it important enough to write down. Rome was taken over from the inside.
>>
>>49005987
Waraxes are shit at woodcutting.
Woodcutting axes are pretty sturdy/heavy and shit weapons in a warfare context.
>>
>>49000334
>only knows the memes
Do you or any dwarffag know anything more?
Thread posts: 197
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.