[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In this thread we share bizarre game, character or story concepts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 1447055099640.jpg (32KB, 307x409px) Image search: [Google]
1447055099640.jpg
32KB, 307x409px
In this thread we share bizarre game, character or story concepts we have had but never had the chance to actually implement due to any number of reasons.

>game idea of players playing a bunch of inter dimensional pirates who's goal is to steal the best alcohol from each dimension to host the greatest piss up in any dimension
>different kinds of alcohol replace health potions etc
>different classes like gunner, buccaneer, navigator, saw bones, musician
>include ship to ship battles using an old pirate ship capable of space travel
>reasons I didn't play. Little to no GM experience, friends weren't that interested as they are the 'games are serious business' types.
>>
I've always wanted to run some corporate bullshit kind of horror involving the player's first day of work. Could be an office, big box store, grocery store, or some other place with an employee handbook that I could write up some creepy rules in scattered throughout the normal shit. Strand the players in place with weather or another claustrophobic phenomena. Corporate policy usually has had some incidents in the past resulting in some new rules and that is a way for me to slowly introduce some real cryptic weird rules that shouldn't be there. Unfortunately as a GM I suck at prep and don't have the interest of my players for that type of thing.
>>
>>48997847
I wanted to run a campaign that rips off Star Wars basically wholesale, except it's more of a grey and grey setting, where the Empire is less brutal, the Rebels are less heroic, and Sith weren't secretly behind everything. The Tarkin Doctrine, for example, would never be implemented.
The conflict would basically stop boiling down to Chaotic Good versus Lawful Evil into straight Law versus Chaos.
The Jedi equivalent would be a recognized thing, rare as hell, and be shipped off to Imperial Academies as more pampered and easier to control psykers.
I don't think I'd allow a mixed party of 'Jedi' and non, simply due to the gigantic power difference.
The science fiction would generally be 'harder', and the soldiers of both sides more humanized.
And the robots are more humanoid so we can have cute robot maids and secretaries.
>>
I can't write anything. I used to be creative, and I have the mechanical ability, but I just don't have the drive anymore. It's really depressing, it was the one thing I thought I was good at, and now I just have MtG.
>>
I wanted to make a RWBY thing, but the plan for that involved an intro session with 8 people, then dividing into alternate weeks of 4 players. Sessions 2 and 3, 4 and 5 and so on would happen concurrently, but then it came down to "what if the teams ever need to meet up"
>>
File: double depress.jpg (162KB, 933x431px) Image search: [Google]
double depress.jpg
162KB, 933x431px
>>48997847
I've wanted to run a rules-lite but Madoka-harsh magical girl game that wasn't Maid RPG or Magical Burst.

I wrote up about 60% of a rules system and had lots of plot arcs in my head... then lost steam for several reasons.

>The potential players I had were weeaboos who talked about their characters like waifu-bait or loli-cheesecake instead of actual characters and completely missed the point. (And this coming from someone weeaboo enough to want to play a fucking Magical Girl Game).
>Finding a way to balance the "cool" flavorful powers against the ones that were just mechanically "the best" gave me a headache. I'm not good at game design, but it seems nearly impossible to make a system where everything feels appealing unless you nerf everything to the ground or go full-pathfinder with rules so complicated that mastering them is autism.
>Playing online sounds even worse than the IRL players I have
>I'd much rather be a player than GM, but convincing someone to run this sort of game without using MAID or Magical Burst is pretty much impossible, and I sorta have this unshakeable gut reaction that 99% of homebrew rules are even shittier than my own somehow.
>>
>>48998783
You might be me.
I've written about two drafts for Madoka-like games, one explicitly so and one based on it, but both ended up washing out - one for the reason that it got too huge and full of holes, the other one for the reason that it was a remake of the first system but no one believed I'd had the idea since back when the series came out, so I got shit for being "unoriginal" and scrapped it.
I also had an idea for a dark magical girl setting before Madoka was even in the planning phase, but I haven't told anyone about it since because I know that it's going to stink of plagiarism.
If you're still here and want to compare notes/do something, I have nothing to do at the time.
>>
>>48999016
I had my fair-share of originality too. I pretty much ripped off Pokemon for my stats system. Using HP, Attack, Defense, Magical Attack, and Magical Attack, and Special (replacing speed) as my primary stats.

Each skill (except HP) had a rank between 1 and 6, which would then be added to a d6 for the stat checks (or in the case of the defense stats, flatout deduct their ranks from the correct attack type).

Skills beyond that worked kinda like they do in the new Fallout. At rank 1 attack, you could could a weak offensive skill like +1 to attack rolls for 1 Special point. At rank 5 attack, you could buy something like a radius attack that hit everything within 25 feet for 2 Special points, ect. I never completely finished the skill lines, but that was the basic idea anyway.
>>
>>48999069
*un-originality
>>
File: 2c9f8cf70b915f9e5ef0be50bc7acbc0.jpg (677KB, 1000x707px) Image search: [Google]
2c9f8cf70b915f9e5ef0be50bc7acbc0.jpg
677KB, 1000x707px
>>48999016
It might be reassuring to know that there are several dark magical girl things that existed before Madoka. Sailor Nothing being one of them.

>>48998783
I'm about to run the second round of a somewhat Madoka inspired campaign pretty soon. I'm using a modified version of the Hopeful magical girl fan-splatbook for World of Darkness. It's not rules light but it works well with my group. Have you looked at other rules-light systems besides Maid RPG and Magical Burst? I think BESM might fit the bill and I'm sure there's plenty of other rules light systems that can easily adapt to a magical girl setting. At the very least some of them might give you enough inspiration to finish your own system.

>>48997847
If you have ever met an NPC that calls herself Nataviel please refrain from reading the spoilers.
A Pathfinder game, a series of Nechronica and World of Darkness (mahou shoujo) games, and a homebrewed game that all exist within the same universe in the When They Cry fashion. The first three are still underway and I'm waiting for one of them to finish so that I can start the fourth.
>>
>>48997847
I always wanted to combine an all-pirate fantasy D&D campaign with eldritch horrors being worshipped in tribal islands, demons emerging from the waters every fifty years to reap and wage war with the empires of the sea, and devils cutting deals and alliances with pirate kings.

I also always wanted to create a CoC adventure with the charcters playing a Zathura/Jumanji tabletop game that transported them in the greatest wars of the past, starting with important human conflicts and then progressing into wars with the serpent people, then in elder things hunting the mi-go, the liberation of the shoggoths, the war between the elder things and the spawn of xoth and cthulhu himself.
This one I fortunately managed to play just a few days ago, and now my players all want to reuse it with other groups of CoC they are in. I'm very proud.
>>
File: 57738648_p2_master1200.jpg (325KB, 1023x898px) Image search: [Google]
57738648_p2_master1200.jpg
325KB, 1023x898px
>>48999696
I watched Turbo Kid recently and was tempted to homebrew a system that can handle a setting where all of the tropes are played straight, just with a significant uptick in the amount of gore.

Also, tangent, but the artist of said image has been consistently making visually similar art of the same series for the past 7 odd years. Pixiv is a weird beast.
>>
I like roleplaying-heavy horror/mystery mini campaigns where every PC is just a normal person starting out in a seemingly mundane that's trying to figure out what the fuck is going on at the same time the players are. This doesn't sound too far fetched of a request, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find people on board with this unless you slap the name Call of Cthulhu on it and partially spoil what the players are going to find just with the name alone.
>>
File: 762808987122670.jpg (443KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
762808987122670.jpg
443KB, 712x712px
Lovecraftian horror who sells planets and entire solar systems to an extra-dimensional drug dealer to score some cosmic space weed.
This would be the antagonist for a sci-fi game of some sort.
>>
>>48997847
I've always wanted to do a campaign based on the movie Alien, but set much closer to our time on an expanded ISS. The players start in an inflatable, rotating hydroponics module, and must make their way across the damaged station using their ingenuity and cunning to avoid the zero-g menace and make it to the only craft currently docked to the station (a Dream Chaser). The game would be pure puzzle solving and stealth - any encounter with the Alien is sudden death.

What they don't know is that this isn't Alien, this is The Thing, and one of them is infected.

Never ran it because group doesn't dig the idea. They're only interested in pulp sci fi and fantasy combat-centric campaigns.
>>
I want to run a campaign where the players are sapient Velociraptors(Jurassic Park version, not historical boring raptors) trying to find their place in modern America.
>>
File: 1852384.jpg (8KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
1852384.jpg
8KB, 311x475px
Some character concepts:

I'd like to make a Warlock in DnD 5e who's patron is a Great Old One that they're head-over-heels in love with. Said Great Old One is totally oblivious their affection, and probably their existence - but the warlock continually strives to be noticed. I feel it's the kind of thing that could be mistaken for (or easily descend into) Magical Realm foolery.

As well, I've always wanted to join a campaign drawing heavily from Eastern mythology, or even a full-out weeb thing, and play as a wannabe cowboy or European nobleman with low WIS (or the equivalent). He'd be sympathetic to the party, but unable make heads or tails of this weird magic and why it would be any more effective than a gun.

>>48998112
I remember that thread people discussed this in, it was fun.

>>49000173
Reminds me of a flash fiction I once jotted down about an alien horror trying to blaze continents to get high.
>>
I never had the chance to make a japanese-inspired game like L5R or Pathfinder with players using japanese classes like samurai, onmyodo and horimyo, filled with all the oriental folklore monsters.
>>
Character concepts for Pathfinder

Grippli Shaman merchant

Grappler/assassin

Tarot reader

A bunch of different 3pp classes

I haven't played them because my GM says no 3pp and the party is highly optimized. I COULD be a tarot reader full caster, but when I joined, we needed something else, so my silly bullshit was put on the backburner.

Shadowrun character concepts

A sniper

An anime addict with his own digital waifu and loads of drones

A blood mage

A mute mage that uses Black Magic

I haven't used these because I just finished reading the player section of the core rulebook for Shadowrun 5e. Now I need to read the GM section, then wait for my friends to finish, then we'll run a game. Dunno how long that'll take, what with how busy they are.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.